From the Social to Who Know Where

GalaKev

FM5 : Austrian, Belgium, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Duth, Both Irish, Norwegian, Portuguase, Scottish, Spanish, Swedish, Welsh. All available leagues and in full detail.

Friday 9th July 2004

Its only 18 miles to work in Hawick, I think as I fire up my Kawasaki ZZR600. Off I go on my short journey from Galashiels to Hawick on the A7.

As I lean into many a bend my mind starts wandering, about the football from the previous season. Berwick Rangers trip to Tynecastle for the Scottish Cup, epic struggles with Greenock Morton in the 2nd Division. I then start thinking about home and my number 1 team Basingstoke Town, about how they managed to scrape into the Conference South, only because Hendon pulled out. All too soon I saw the signs Welcome to Hawick and it was time to get into reality.

I walked into my office and the Financial Director said "When you get your bike gear off can you come and see me." So off I went to his office.

"Kev, I am sorry to say this", he sighed. "I am afraid we cant afford to employ the services of an Accountant, we are going to have to let you go"

Numb, I got on my bike to drive home and I decided to go via the Job Centre and start the procedure for claiming the dole.

I arrived at Gala Job Centre and the receptionist said I was lucky and I could have the appointment there and then because there was a cancellation. The form filling out was easy and then after an interview regarding benefits, a back to work interview was conducted.

This spotty bloody teenager started telling me how I should look for work. He asked me what type of work I would like to do. "Football Manager, I snapped back at him. Before I could correct him he had written this and said I had 26 weeks to look for this type of work, before I had to broaden my search.

I walked out completley shocked at his stupidty and went to the pub, where I spent the rest of the day drowning my sorrows. But a football manger rather than an accountant had some type of appeal.

Maybe I should apply for these jobs just to mess around the Job Centre and have a holiday, before I had to start applying for correct work for me. The drunker I got the better it sounded.

FM5 : Austrian, Belgium, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Duth, Both Irish, Norwegian, Portuguase, Scottish, Spanish, Swedish, Welsh. All available leagues and in full detail.

Friday 9th July 2004

Its only 18 miles to work in Hawick, I think as I fire up my Kawasaki ZZR600. Off I go on my short journey from Galashiels to Hawick on the A7.

As I lean into many a bend my mind starts wandering, about the football from the previous season. Berwick Rangers trip to Tynecastle for the Scottish Cup, epic struggles with Greenock Morton in the 2nd Division. I then start thinking about home and my number 1 team Basingstoke Town, about how they managed to scrape into the Conference South, only because Hendon pulled out. All too soon I saw the signs Welcome to Hawick and it was time to get into reality.

I walked into my office and the Financial Director said "When you get your bike gear off can you come and see me." So off I went to his office.

"Kev, I am sorry to say this", he sighed. "I am afraid we cant afford to employ the services of an Accountant, we are going to have to let you go"

Numb, I got on my bike to drive home and I decided to go via the Job Centre and start the procedure for claiming the dole.

I arrived at Gala Job Centre and the receptionist said I was lucky and I could have the appointment there and then because there was a cancellation. The form filling out was easy and then after an interview regarding benefits, a back to work interview was conducted.

This spotty bloody teenager started telling me how I should look for work. He asked me what type of work I would like to do. "Football Manager, I snapped back at him. Before I could correct him he had written this and said I had 26 weeks to look for this type of work, before I had to broaden my search.

I walked out completley shocked at his stupidty and went to the pub, where I spent the rest of the day drowning my sorrows. But a football manger rather than an accountant had some type of appeal.

Maybe I should apply for these jobs just to mess around the Job Centre and have a holiday, before I had to start applying for correct work for me. The drunker I got the better it sounded.

Sunday 11rh July 2004

Day 3 unemployed. I went off to the pub today to watch Dundee United v Chelsea in a friendly, live on Scottish TV. Chelsea won 2-0.

After the match I decide with a few friends to go home and to start to take the mickey out of the job centre and apply for some managerial jobs. Stop one the internet.

Vacancies in the British Isles: Greenock Morton, I decide that I would be pushing it to apply for this prestigous team.

So I decide to look further afield. "It's about time you start using your EU status", jokes Dave. And why not indeed I think, maybe somewhere warm.

Lusitania of the Portuguese Second B South catches my eye. Small team with a distinct lack of support and finances. "Maybe they will be just desperate enough to take me on", I laughed. We thought it was a boat which got sunk in the 1st world war not a footie team, but lets have a laugh we all say.

I made my Curriculum Vitate out and sent it via e-mail to Portugal. As I pressed the send key. I never thought I would even get a reply from them.

Monday 12th July 2004

I can't believe it.

The Lusitania board have acknowledged my application to become manager of the club. They will inform me of their decisions shortly. I cant wait to tell my mates.

The wife on the other hand is a bit dubious about me playing silly buggers. She thinks I should concertrate on getting a job in the finance world.

Well the job centre said I should apply for one job a week. I have kept up my end of this jobseekers agreement.

Thanks for your responses gents.

I did have an earlier thread, with CM03-04 (2 posts I think), but my computer died just into pre-season. By the time I brought a new computer. FM5 was out, so I thought why not.

I actually prefer more detail and less speed. As I like to take the game into the long term. I don't want to find twenty seasons down the line, I have not chosen enough leagues icon_biggrin.gif

Sunday 18th July 2004

Well one whole week on the social and still no word from the Lusitania board regarding my application, they must have thrown it straight into the bin, while splitting their sides laughing.

So here we are again Sunday lunchtime down the boozer watching footie on the box. Today its Erfurt versus Arsenal. Aresenal won 1-0 in this tight friendly.

After the match and a few drinks later my mates start talking about my career (or lack off) and Dave says "Don't forget you must apply for a one job a week, you dont want to lose your benefits". Trust Dave to bring my Sunday down with a bump.

So off I go home to look at football_managers_r_us.com and look to see what is available today. The only other available Portuguese job is Tourizense of 2nd B Central. I dont fancy taking this team, they look a total bunch of no hopers. I like a challange but get a life.

Whats left, Tongeren of the Belgian Third B. These are a semi pro team with okay finances, the team looks like I could get my teeth into. So I send my CV off too them.

My beloved Luise cooks me dinner and I fall asleep on the couch.

Monday 19th July 2004

While watching Trisha this morning, oh the joys of being unemployed. I turned on my computer and recieved this e-mail.

Dear GalaKev,

Thankyou for your application for the vacancy Manager at KSK Tongeren. Unfortunatley on this occassion we feel that there are candidates who more closely match our requirements.

We thank you for you interest in KSK Tongeren and wish you success in your chosen career path.

Yous faithfully

Pierrot Byloos

Chairman

Oh well I still have not heard from Lusitania yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tuesday 20th July 2004

At 10pm, the telephone rang, bloody typical I muttered. Why does it always ring as I am about to watch a film.

"Hello", I said. "Could I speak to GalaKev", the voice responded. "Thats me", I was half expecting this person to say "Are you thinking of buying a new kitchen within the next year". But no.

"This is Paulo Borges, President of Club Sporte Lusitania". My heart missed a few beats, after a few seconds of silenece. "Hello Mr Borges", I stuttered.

"GalaKev we have looked at your CV and have decided that we would like to employ your services as manager for Lusitania" said Borges in broken and hard to understand English, " We can offer you a transfer budget in the region of 26,000 Euros and with the wage bill which is standing at 100,000 euros per annum, we can offer you some flexability as well. What do you think?"

Not being a great one for words I responded rather stupidly with "Yeah, Why Not". "Good," said Mr Borges "We have taken the liberty of booking you on a flight tomorrow morning at 11:15 from Edinburgh to Angra Do Heroismo, via London Heathrow. We can discuss personal terms tomorrow evening, then we can announce the deal on Thursday morining. See you tomorrow, bye". "Bye", came my response almost in utter disbelief. I put the phone down.

My wife was asleep on the couch. How could I tell her, I'm not even packed. I decide I will go with her or without her, off to the Azores I go. I better go and wake her up, what about schools for my son, A thousand unanswered questions were running through my mind.

But I will worry about everything tomorrow after I have spoken to Mr Borges.

Wednesday 21st July 2004 08:00

Louise decided not to travel with me, but said she would consider comming at a later date, if criteria, such as schools were met.

The taxi pulled up at my house in Galashiels about 8am, an emotional farewell proceded. I nearly told the taxi to go away. I nearly changed my mind. But I got in,

As the taxi pulled away, I got a last glance of my wife and son waving. This started me crying, but I had to at least try, I can always come back. The last glance of Galashiels, then the Scottish Borders. Within an hour I was approaching the terminal at Turnhouse and pulled up at front of the building. Would I ever go back to the Borders, who could tell. The taxi driver who was a personal friend of mine wished me farewell and waved the charge as I had done his accounts for the last few years. The taxi disapeared around the one way system and I was on my own.

I lifted my heavy bags up and walked towards the British Airways desk, ticket for GalaKev to Heathrow. The smart and thick in make clerk, handed my ticket to Heathrow and politely said enjoy your trip with British Airways. Into departures and awaited my plane.

I was deep in thought about what was going to happen and what I had given up, when the annoucement came over the tannoy. "British Airways is pleased to announce the boarding of flight 1522 Edinburgh Turnhouse to London Heathrow at Gate 9"

As I walked to the plane down the Gantry, the door was open and I got my last icy blast from the Scottish weather. I kept thinking I would get off but the door shut. I was on my way.

Landing at Heathrow and waiting for the Air Portugal flight to the Azores was a non entity. The highlight was posting my UB40 to the job centre. Before I knew it we were flying over the Bay of Biscay and I fell asleep into a haunted sleep about Louise and the Wee Lad, but time would tell.

Wednesday 21st July 2004 18:45

"Sir, SIR", I was awakened from my sleep and noticed that I was on a plane, I acknowledged the cabin crew and reality started to set in. "We are half an hour from landing, you have enough time to visit the toilet and freshen up if you wish" said the air hostess. I took her advice and went to the loo and washed my face with water. I had even missed the in flight meal.

The sun was getting low on the horizon at this stage, but there was enough to see the sea below. Suddenly the engine slowed down and the flaps started to extend and I was approaching the island of Terceira. The features started getting more and more clearer as we came closer and closer to the ground/sea. The lights of the island were twinkling in the semi darkness.

With a thump the areoplane had hit the runway, with the big jets into reverse we started slowing down on the runway. The plane turned left and started the taxing to the terminal building.

The doors opened and the heat hit me. I proceded to follow everyone else through passport control and to baggage reclaim. After a while my bags came and I walked out through arrivals.

There stood an oldish man with a borad saying GalaKev. "Thats me" I said, "Welcome, I hope you had a good journey from Scotland?" he replied. "I will take you directly to Esatdio Joao Paulo II, where he President will be waiting for you". He grabbed hold of my bags with ease, I had stuggled with these, but this old man carried them with no problem at all. I got into the car and took the short drive to the Stadium. Very little was said in this journey.

Wednesday 21st July 20:00

The car rolled into the ground and came to halt. "Thank you", I said to the driver and went to get to my bags. He stopped me and said "I will take these direct to your hotel".

He directed me through a set of double doors and I walked in.

Inside a gentleman approached me and shook my hands. "Hello, I am Paulo Borges". I took his hand and shook it. "This gentleman is Fernando Artur, Director of Football", I greated him in the same warm manner I had greated Mr Borges.

He took me through to his office and said "Firstly I am Paulo and this Fernando, we have no Mr basis in here". This put me at ease and Paulo opened the drinks cabinet. "What would you like to drink?". "A wee nip, I said. At this he looked confused, after second thoughts I said "Whiskey, please"

We sat around a small table and Fernanado stated "This is what we are after. We are one of the favourites to get relegated this season. We have a bit of money although not lots. We want a manager who will battle bravely against relegation this season."

"We can offer you a transfer budget of 22k euros and we can offer you just under 22k euros additional on wages this year", Fernando carried on. "We decided on you, because of your love for football. This combined with you being an accountant, hopefully your prudence will carry on with the club. Also your ten years at Berwick Rangers as a semi pro player was a huge factor for us."

Ten years as a player?, I was a supporter for ten years, not a player. I was about to say something, but decided not too. This sounded more like a script from Eastenders, Shane Ritchie watch out I'm comming to get you.

"Anyway, we would like to offer you a contract to the 30th June 2005, this would be renumerated at 80,000 euros per annum. We will purchase you a flat on the coast and pay for your wife and boy to realocate to the Azores. There is even a very good English school on the island", Paulo added. Fernado then asked "What do do you think, the ball is in your court? if you decide yes, we will hold a press conference at 9:30am tomorrow"

I stuttered, funny as I don't any other time "Give me another nip, and I will tell you". Smilling Paulo poured me a whisky. "We have started to understand the Scottish at last" he added. "But actually, I'm English" I added further.

I downed the nip and said "It would be great honour to take the role of manager for Club Sporte Lusitania"

Wednesday 22nd July 2004

The morning came around oh so quickly. I had a good nights kip maybe due to the Whisky.

Fernando picked me up from the hotel and drove me the short distance to the ground. It was so short i decided I would walk next time. Fernando introduced me to this fifty something guy. "GalaKev, this is your assistant manager Hildeberto". "Welcome" he said, "Thank you" I replied, but I did not rate him on our first date (So to speak). Perhaps I would have to replace him. His CV which I had read the night before was not great.

I was shown to my desk at the ground, already the name on the door had changed to GalaKev. I went in and shut the door. My office overlooked the car park and some supporters and journalists had already started milling around. I sat down, not knowing what to do next.

A knock at the door and Paulo entered. He proceded to tell me what would happen this morning. Before I knew what happened it was 9:30 am and time to face the public.

Paulo stood up "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Board of Sport Clube Lusitania would like to make a statement". There was not a sound from within the hall. "After the upheavals of losing our last manager, we would like to introduce GalaKev as the the new manager of the club".

There was a stunned silence, reporters were writing feverishly in their notepads. " I would like to on behalf of my board", Paulo continued "Welcome GalaKev to the fold. He will recieve our support over the comming months. Lustinania are too good to get relegated and we have every faith in the new manager to help us achieve this matter"

He continued "GalaKev will make a short statement, but will not answer any questions at this time"

I stood "First of all I would like to thank Mr Borges for giving me the opportunity to manage a club like Lusitania. Lustitania are too good a side to be relegated from the Portaguese league. Although I have been given the remit of keeping the team in the league, I do not see why a safe mid table position, cannot be attained. I will serve the club to my best of abilities".

Luckly Paulo did not mention my playing career at Berwick.

I continued " My first task is to arrange some pre season friendlies and to evalute the team stengths and of course weaknesses"

I had survived the press statement, although tomorrow press might say differently. But there you go I am now manager.

Wednesday 22nd July (after the press conference)

There is no pre season fixtures at all. I will try to arrange a game on Saturday away to non league Caranguejeira. I have approched other clubs for friendlies these involve.

Suday 1/8 away to non league Cova da Pirdade

Friday 6/8 home to Superleague Braga

Sun 16/8 home to 2nd Div Overanse

Sun 23/8 home to Naval 2nd Division.

Braga and Naval reject my friendly proposal all other games are on

My players are also great conern, I have only 1 central midfielder and only two strikers. I have 3 Defenders at left back, with only limited funds I must get my team sorted out. I need to get rid of the dead wood in order to bring players in. Maybe loan players might help?

I will aslo get my scout to look at players I am most in need of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GalaKev:

_Can anyone help me.

How do I get a player who is on contract on to the coaching staff as a player/coach? I cant see anyway of doing this. This guy is at the end of his career and has been recommended by my assistant manager_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has to have had gained a coaching certificate, but there doesnt appear to be a way to make him do this.

Thursay 22nd July 2004 (sorry my prior date went to pot)

press report:

In what may seem a surprise appointment, the Lustitania board have announced GalaKev as their new boos.

The relativley unknown English manager, who first game in charge will be against Barriense on Sunday 29th august 2004, declared he was looking forward to the challange at Esatdio Joao Paulo II.

With Lusitania amoung the favourites for relegation this season, pundits are already commenting that GalKev will have to learn quick.

Meanwhile the Lusitania board have given the full backing of their new appointment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GalaKev:

_Can anyone help me.

How do I get a player who is on contract on to the coaching staff as a player/coach? I cant see anyway of doing this. This guy is at the end of his career and has been recommended by my assistant manager_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has to have had gained a coaching certificate, but there doesnt appear to be a way to make him do this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well. Looks like I might have to put him out to grass. Cheers fella.

<y team based on a lose 4-4-2 formation although could change:

GK: Armanado

DR: Aderito

DL: Luis Paulo

DC: Marceio & Marinho

MR: Paulo Campos

ML: Nuno Carlvaheiro

MC: Alex & Vacant Position

Fw: Nuno Areisas & Fernando Nelson

Subs (from)

GK: Ze To

Def: Nuno Limar, Marinho, Veradas, Nandinho

Mid: ML, MR & MC Vacant Positions

Fw: 2 Vacant Positions

Players who are no longer required are: Gilmar (DC), Paulo Johnson (DL), Rui Manuael (DC)

I think I will leave telling the 3 until tomorrow. This will hopefully free up some wages budget to give some wages for critical position as MC

Friday 23rd July 2004

At least the dates are back working icon14.gif

I am starting to feel well out of my depth at the moment. Everyone at the club feels, I should somehow wave a magic wand and the club will be okay. I am starting to scoff at the idea of ever getting to the top of Portaguse Leagues. I would be lucky to qualify for the islands equivalent of the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Some serious news today, Alexandria, alias Alex has been ruled out for a couple of days with a strained wrist. "I called him a complete wimp", "Get a girlfriend", I shouted "You would mot have a dodgy wrist, if you had". I also explained "If the ball hits your hand, you have not got an idea about playing footie, its handball old chap". My assistant manager translated this into Portaguese and he shrugged his shoulders, something must have got lost in translation.

So here I am on the eve of my first fixture in charge of Lustiania without a recognised central midfielder, I am likley to have to play a more defensive 5-3-2 or even worse 6-2-2 if that does not work tomorrow. I will have to move one of my right midfielders to the center. I will not be even able to make a sub unless a its a defender. I will also be taking half the laddies from the U19's The hole I'm digging is getting deeper, should have stuck to Balance Sheets and Profit & losses at least I understand that. I am starting to feel very homesick at the moment, but at least I can lay by the pool between training.

On the transfer front I contacted, Portosantense manager, Vitor Santos regarding purchasing his central midfielder Armindo Silver. Armindo is valued at 4k euros, I offered 75% 3k, but offered 50% of any future transfer, I feel confident about the 50% as he is 32 years old. If i can get him to prop up my midfield for 1 season, it will help. I gave Victor 24 hours to respond as i need a quick fix before transfer deadlines come down, but I have left it open for negotiation.

Failling that my scout is pretty slow of the mark. I will have to start looking at loan players until the end of the season. One player down and the team is already very shaky, more shaky than 24 hours ago (ps I am on masked attributes)

The one thing I did not think of is Charter flights to most away matches. Here I am sat at the local airport of Friday night awaiting a flight to Lisbon. Then about an hour drive north of Lisbon to Caldas da Rainha. I was only expecting flights for matches in Euro competitions.

Louise and my wee lad are comming out on Sunday for a holiday to see if they like the lovely Azores, fingers crossed, as I could do with a friend.

I stopped in the bar before the flight and Genesis, Land of Confusion was playing, how apt. Especially 'Superman where are you now'. This is the land of confusion, with no superman.

Match report tomorrow.

Saturday 24th July 2004

Caranguejeira 2 Lusitania 0

Att:89

A truly dismal performance by Lusitania this afternoon against non-league opposition Caranguejeira. In a game where the non-league opposition dominated the game, the 2-0 scoreline somewhat flattered the away team.

Lusitania kicked off the first half. As early as tenth minutes into the game the home side had the ball in the back of the net, but Ricardo had the goal dissallowed for a a foul on the Lusitania keeper. Four minutes later and Caranguejiera nearly got the goal tehy deserved. A series of delightful moves and several corners, cumilating in Sergio hitting the post and the ball going out to play.

On 33 mins another chance when begging for the hosts when Paulo turned and passed to Sergio on the edge of the sear, but his shot just went over the bar.

HT 0-0

Three minutes into the second half Andre found Jorge in acres of space and Jorge will kick himself for putting the ball wide when scoring would have been easier.

The home side finally broke the deadlock after 54 minutes, Sergio crossed the ball from the right Luis Paulo rose above Mario to head out, Claverherio rose above Sergio to clear the ball from the area but only to the feet of Nuno, who swivelled and scored a lovely shot past the keeper from all of 20 yards out.

On the 63rd minute victory was completed when Helder scored an easy goal.

FT 2-0

In the after match interview GalaKev, praised the non-leagues team determination. He also added that "Lusitania must play a lot better in future". He also added that a place in the team is not a devine right, We mised Alex as we had no central midfielder and that certainly did not help". He sighed "there is no excuse today, I will be in the transfer market to try and stengthen the team, we must learn after todays result"

Saturday 24th July 2004

Vitoria have made an offer for Luis Paulo. They have offered 0 Euros, with a guarenteed friendly and 25% of the next transfer.

You can imagine my answer "São tendo uma risada. Por que ria vendo-o para um amigável. Penso que você terá que repensaá-lo oferecer" (Good this translation programe of mine).

He is valued at 8k, but as my star player, as Brian would agree. It would have to be substantial offer to let me part with him.

Sunday 25th July 2004

S*!t, S*!t, S*!t, S*!t

Arderito has been injured for two weeks. I have now lost another Midfielder, at least Alex should be back for next Sundays game. Campus back out to right Midfield and Alex down the centre. I was hoping to revert tyo a 4-4-2 for Saturday, but its not looking good at the moment.

I honestly felt after yesterdays defeat that we lacked in the centre of the park to take control. It was defend then long balls to the forward line. I am happier now that one game is under my belt (albiet a defeat).

Ze To has signed a new contract to keep him at the club until June 2006, in a deal worked out by the previous manager. Although he is not far different from my No 1, he will have to prove himself to change my mind. I might just start him on Sunday

My God, my wife is landing today. Must phone for a taxi, I only have half an hour to get to the airport. Funny game is football, makes you forget your family.

Sunday 25th July 2004

The offer for Armindo, 4k has been accepted and permission has been given to approach the player. But armindo says he is not interested in a move. i will offer him 12k. If he does not accept. I will look elsewhere

Wednesday 28th July 2004

The world has gone Luis Paulo mad. After Vitoria's naff offer of nothing. I said I would accept 100k, not expecting anything. They then offered 100k, they have given me to the 2nd August for a decision

But I have had an offer for 99k, 93k But the best offer so far is Estoril 150k euros, 25% sell on clause and a guaranteed friendly. FM is saying its worth in excess of a quarter of a million euros.

I am now in a dilema , I can't get anyone to sign for me. But a 150k payable now and a friendly in a couple of weeks will do my profit & loss wonders, also it would release 90k into my transfer budget. But when my team is that small I have not got anyone who could replace him.

Will my wage budget go up with this sale 110k transfer budget, with only 24k remaining wage budget is not going to get me far. But if I stop his move to the superleague will he get upset?

I really dont know what to do.

Armindo has rejected, my offer of a contract, so back to the drawing board for my midfield.

I am going to start looking at loaning a few players, midfield and attackers.

Archived