We'll All Just Like Singing The Blues! When Oldham Win and City Lose!

Chatham_Owl

I arrive at Boundary Park early on Sunday morning to begin the task of managing Oldham Athletic Football Club. The past few months have seen a lot of turmoil at the club and almost resulted in the club folding. Being an Oldham fan myself I shall try to give you the history of why Oldham Athletic are where they are right now.

July 2001: Chairman David Brierly and other shareholders sell their shares to Torex PLC Chief Executive Chris Moore, Mr. Moore becomes club chairman and promises good times ahead for the club.

September 2001: After a good start Oldham find themselves at the top of the Second Division after manager Andy Ritchie adds to the squad.

31st October 2001: Andy Ritchie is sacked by Chris Moore because of indifferent form in the past month. Moore offered Ritchie the job as Director of Football, Ritchie felt it was too soon to move upstairs.

November 2001: Mick Wadsworth is appointed Manager and Iain Dowie is his Assistant. Moore had big plans to restructure the backroom staff at Oldham to modernise the club.

December 2001: Mr. Moore kicks out Oldham Rugby after a disagreement over rent. Football/Rugby war begins. He also announces his 5 year plan to get Oldham into the Premier League once again, fans love him.

May 2002: Oldham finish 9th in the league a vast improvement on previous years and things look promising with a lot of good players being signed. Mick Wadsworth is also appointed to the board of directors as well as being manager. A great friendship between Moore and Wadsworth has developed.

June 2002: Mick Wadsworth is sacked by Chris Moore, no reason was ever given. Lots of rumours fly about to this day. Iain Dowie is appointed the new manager.

August 2002: Having been given the go ahead by Chris Moore, Dowie signs more players, the squad now looks like it can challenge for promotion.

September 2002: Oldham go top of the league again and win 10 games in a row, equalling the club record.

October 2002: Chris Moore announces he can't finance the club like he has been doing and goes about a cost cutting exercise. Fringe players, backroom staff go, fans urged to support the club like never before and to put money into the club.

November 2002: Oldham beat Premiership West Ham United 1-0 in the league cup.

February 2003: Chris Moore steps down as chairman in order to encourage new backers to the club but continues to fund the club.

March 2003: Chief Executive Alan Hardy is suspended for allowing a signing which Moore didn't agree with. Moore's advisors agreed the signing though not Hardy.

April 2003: Dowie has talks with Moore to see if he is commited to the club, he leaves satisfied. Season Tickets are on sale now at reduced rates to generate much needed funds.

May 2003: Oldham clinch a place in the play offs and faced QPR in the semi-finals, a heartbreaking goal by Paul Furlong and last minute super save by Chris Day ensure QPR go through to the final 2-1.

June 2003: Moore decides enough is enough and decides he isn't going to fund the club anymore. Oldham face financial ruin unless new backers and a plan can be found and soon. Season Ticket money disappears into a black hole.

July 2003: Moore sells players under Iain Dowie's back and the squad that took Oldham so far was decimated. Fitz Hall, Clint Hill, Chris Armstrong are all cheaply sold on and that money also disappears. Tony Carss, Wayne Andrews, Clyde Wijnhard, Julien Baudet, Josh Low are all forced to move on as well. He finally agrees to a Management buyout and Commerical/PR Manager Sean jarvis and Financial Advisor Neil Joy buy his shares for £1, Moore agrees to cancel the £4,000,000 loan he gave to the club but quits his 5 years plan 2 years into it.

[This message was edited by Chatham_Owl on 27 November 2003 at 18:25.]

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I arrive at Boundary Park early on Sunday morning to begin the task of managing Oldham Athletic Football Club. The past few months have seen a lot of turmoil at the club and almost resulted in the club folding. Being an Oldham fan myself I shall try to give you the history of why Oldham Athletic are where they are right now.

July 2001: Chairman David Brierly and other shareholders sell their shares to Torex PLC Chief Executive Chris Moore, Mr. Moore becomes club chairman and promises good times ahead for the club.

September 2001: After a good start Oldham find themselves at the top of the Second Division after manager Andy Ritchie adds to the squad.

31st October 2001: Andy Ritchie is sacked by Chris Moore because of indifferent form in the past month. Moore offered Ritchie the job as Director of Football, Ritchie felt it was too soon to move upstairs.

November 2001: Mick Wadsworth is appointed Manager and Iain Dowie is his Assistant. Moore had big plans to restructure the backroom staff at Oldham to modernise the club.

December 2001: Mr. Moore kicks out Oldham Rugby after a disagreement over rent. Football/Rugby war begins. He also announces his 5 year plan to get Oldham into the Premier League once again, fans love him.

May 2002: Oldham finish 9th in the league a vast improvement on previous years and things look promising with a lot of good players being signed. Mick Wadsworth is also appointed to the board of directors as well as being manager. A great friendship between Moore and Wadsworth has developed.

June 2002: Mick Wadsworth is sacked by Chris Moore, no reason was ever given. Lots of rumours fly about to this day. Iain Dowie is appointed the new manager.

August 2002: Having been given the go ahead by Chris Moore, Dowie signs more players, the squad now looks like it can challenge for promotion.

September 2002: Oldham go top of the league again and win 10 games in a row, equalling the club record.

October 2002: Chris Moore announces he can't finance the club like he has been doing and goes about a cost cutting exercise. Fringe players, backroom staff go, fans urged to support the club like never before and to put money into the club.

November 2002: Oldham beat Premiership West Ham United 1-0 in the league cup.

February 2003: Chris Moore steps down as chairman in order to encourage new backers to the club but continues to fund the club.

March 2003: Chief Executive Alan Hardy is suspended for allowing a signing which Moore didn't agree with. Moore's advisors agreed the signing though not Hardy.

April 2003: Dowie has talks with Moore to see if he is commited to the club, he leaves satisfied. Season Tickets are on sale now at reduced rates to generate much needed funds.

May 2003: Oldham clinch a place in the play offs and faced QPR in the semi-finals, a heartbreaking goal by Paul Furlong and last minute super save by Chris Day ensure QPR go through to the final 2-1.

June 2003: Moore decides enough is enough and decides he isn't going to fund the club anymore. Oldham face financial ruin unless new backers and a plan can be found and soon. Season Ticket money disappears into a black hole.

July 2003: Moore sells players under Iain Dowie's back and the squad that took Oldham so far was decimated. Fitz Hall, Clint Hill, Chris Armstrong are all cheaply sold on and that money also disappears. Tony Carss, Wayne Andrews, Clyde Wijnhard, Julien Baudet, Josh Low are all forced to move on as well. He finally agrees to a Management buyout and Commerical/PR Manager Sean jarvis and Financial Advisor Neil Joy buy his shares for £1, Moore agrees to cancel the £4,000,000 loan he gave to the club but quits his 5 years plan 2 years into it.

[This message was edited by Chatham_Owl on 27 November 2003 at 18:25.]

Author's Notes:

Game played on CM 03/04, original version. The english league is run to the Conference league. The idea came about as I am a huge Latics fan and the club I support has been under huge financial problems this summer. The game will be a huge challenge so come and see how I fare building this once great club back to where they once were, The Premiership. Well I hope so anyways.

Sunday 13th July 2003

I arrive at the club early on Sunday morning and am welcomed in by owner Sean Jarvis. He offered me the job as manager yesterday and I gladly accepted. The news of my appointment won't be made made until tomorrow morning where i'll be shown off in a press conference. Sean shows me around the place and takes me to meet all the staff.

After all the welcoming myself, Barry Chaytow (Chairman), Alan Hardy (Chief Exec), Sean Jarvis (Co-Owner/Commercial PR Manager) and Neil Joy (Co-Owner/Accountant) head off to the board room to discuss the future of the club and where the club goes from here.

Sean Jarvis: I'm sure your aware off what has happened to the club this summer, well we are still in serious financial trouble and still might not be able to keep the club afloat. The wage bill needs to be trimmed further still.

Neil Joy: Yes unfortunately this has to happen, the current wage bill is £25,214 a week and this needs trimming by just over £4,000 a week. Currently we have -£252,834 in the bank and that is without the loans that are outstanding. At the moment we are paying £74,000 a month in loan repayments but that will decrease to £50,000 a month at the start of 2004. There is a loan for £275,000 that will be paid monthly until the 1st January 2004 in £24,000 installments, the next loan is for £4,000,000 paid monthly also in £50,000 installments until the 30th December 2010.

Ian McAlister: Ok I accept that I'll have to sell and cut wages but am I allowed to sign players at all?

NJ: You can but there will be no transfer money available for the foreseeable future so any signings will have to be either loans or free transfers and wages must be low, we just want you to act sensible when buying players. Financial stability is the main objective right now.

IM: Well I am going to try and reduce the wage bill by offering the players reduced wage deals. I'll try my hardest to get the wage bill from the current players down but I'll start that on Tuesday once I've met all the players.

NJ: That's great, best of luck with that.

IM: Have you got a squad list of players that are currently at the club and details for them?

Alan Hardy: Yes all that information is on your computer in your office I will show you later on, I have arranged some friendlies too for the first team. Here is the list of fixtures

15/07/03: Morecambe A

25/07/03: Boston United A

29/07/03: Halesowen Town A

02/08/03: Reading H

05/08/03: Oxford United A

AH: The new league fixtures came out on Friday too....

09/08/03: Colchester United A

16/08/03: Bristol City A

20/08/03: Chesterfield H

23/08/03: Swindon Town H

30/08/03: Port Vale A

03/09/03: Brentford H

13/09/03: Sheffield Wednesday A

20/09/03: Luton Town H

27/09/03: Blackpool H

01/10/03: Wrexham A

04/10/03: Brighton & Hove Albion H

18/10/03: Rushden & Diamonds A

25/10/03: Hartlepool United H

01/11/03: Tranmere Rovers A

05/11/03: Peterborough United H

22/11/03: Wycombe Wanderers A

26/11/03: QPR H

29/11/03: Barnsley A

13/12/03: Grimsby Town H

17/12/03: Notts County A

20/12/03: Plymouth Argyle H

26/12/03: Bournemouth A

01/01/04: Stockport County H

07/01/04: Bristol City H

10/01/04: Chesterfield A

17/01/04: Colchester United H

24/01/04: Swindon Town A

28/01/04: Port Vale H

31/01/04: Brentford A

07/02/04: Sheffield Wednesday H

14/02/04: Wrexham H

18/02/04: Brighton & Hove Albion A

21/02/04: Luton Town A

28/02/04: Blackpool A

06/03/04: Rushden & Diamonds H

10/03/04: Hartlepool United A

13/03/04: Tranmere Rovers H

20/03/04: Peterborough United A

31/03/04: Wycombe Wanderers H

04/04/04: QPR A

10/04/04: Barnsley H

17/04/04: Grimsby Town A

21/04/04: Notts County H

24/04/04: Plymouth Argyle A

01/05/04: Bournemouth H

08/05/04: Stockport County A

IM: Thank you for that, anything else needing to be said?

Barry Chaytow: Yes erm, we have had interest for two of our players. Will Haining is wanted by Bristol City, Preston NE, Sheffield United and Stoke City at the moment and Paul Murray is wanted by Rotherham United. It's upto you whether to sell them if they table an offer but again we must stress that the wage bill needs to come down.

IM: Can I take John Sheridan and Matty Appleby off the list? I want my squad to have a clean slate and to prove themselves for me.

NJ: Yes sure, no problems with that. The players are back tomorrow from the summer break so you can get to know them better then.

AH: We are going to announce your appointment tomorrow morning in a press conference here so we need you to be here at 9am again to sort that out, it'll just be a few questions from the local press and some national papers too, nothing major.

IM: Ok I'll be there tomorrow, is there anything else?

SJ: No that's it for now.

AH: I'll show you around the club and get you settled in with the office and software.

Alan shows me round the stadium and then into the office and gives me a quick demonstration on how to use the companies software, it's pretty impressive, a bit like the Championship Managers I play on (Stare).

I sort out the training routines out for pre season and then call my scouts in to send them off to find some players. I send Ron Millward out to find some new youth talent and James Wills is sent to scout the UK & Ireland.

I go delving into the transfer market to find some players. I find a few players that I attempt to sign on 4 week trials, it costs the club nothing and helps boost the squad and possibly find some gems. I give trial offers to:

Howard Forinton

Ian Lawson

Anthony Shandran

Brett Angell

Kevin Gallagher

Jamie Cassidy

Michael Sisson

Jonathan Paul Mills

Phil Salt

Damon Robson

Leon Bell

Paul Dempsey

Des Lyttle

Anthony McStea

Alex Dick

Darren Bloor

Jonathan Perry

Lee Jones

Spencer Whelan

Matt Carbon

Bryan Small

Matthew Wicks

Duncan Spedding

Nicky Hill

Scott Jones

Tom Phillips

Matthew Ghent

I also offer contracts for more backroom staff:

Oldham old boys Andy Ritchie and Brian Kilkline are offered coaching contracts along with Peter Beardsley, Jim Barron and Ian Andrews.

David Jarrett, Ian John, Chris Latchem are offered scouting contracts and former Oldham physio Paul Caton s given a new contract after being released by Chris Moore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:

As long as David "Budgie" Eyres continues to do the goods then I'll be a big fan of this one! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me he will be a huge part of this story, Eyresy is a legend.

Eyresy! Eyresy!

Monday 14th July 2003 - Training Pre Season (Technique PM)

PRESS CONFERENCE

(Barry Chaytow, Alan Hardy, Sean Jarivs and Ian McAlister are at the front)

Barry Chaytow: I'd like to thank you and welcome you all here to this press conference. As you all know by now this club has been through a lot this summer financially and I have come in to try help the club through this tough period. I'd like to thank the outgoing manager Iain Dowie for his efforts here, he gave the club it's best moments in years only to see his hard work destroyed like that, I wish him all the best in the future, but we're not here to talk about him and the past are are here to announce the future and to announce the new manager, Ian McAlister is the man who will take over. I'll pass you onto Alan Hardy.

Alan Hardy Since Iain left we have been searching for a new manager, we needed someone who could stabilise the club and get the club moving forward again instead of backwards. We needed a person who knew the squad already and could act quickly and decisively. We feel we have found him. I'll pass you onto Ian, fire away.

The Mirror: What managerial experience have you got and how will you use this at the club?

Ian McAlister: Well I don't have much experience of management but I have been player/manager of a local 7 a-side team, it may not have been a proper side but I had to bring a squad of players together and deal with the finances which were very tight, even for a small team like that. I feel I have the right qualities to succeed.

The Sun: What are your short-term plans for the club and how will you achieve these?

Ian McAlister: Well my first objective is to cut the wage bill to help ease the clubs financial problems and also help me bring in some players of my choosing to improve the squad. I can only do this with the player and backroom staffs co-operation, if they help me I might be able to keep this squad together and add but if I can't one or two will have to leave. I aim to keep this club in this division and then after that try to progress up the league and bring some success back to the club.

Oldham Evening Chronicle: We've seen in the past few weeks the squad being ripped apart is this the end of the cull or will we see even more high profile names leave us?

Ian McAlister: Hopefully no but there is a chance that I might have to sell some more but they will be replaced with what I feel are good enough replacements. I am going to try and improve the squad and cut costs at the same time. It is achievable.

After the press conference I return to my office. I had an answer message from Ron Millward confirming that he had started his youth search.

A number of my hopeful trialists have been offered contracts by clubs:

Lyttle (Southend United)

Carbon (Bristol Rovers, Mansfield Town)

Jones (Dundee)

Mills (Burton Albion)

Perry (Carlisle United)

Robson (Darlington)

Real Mallorca got in touch with me too and offered £26k for defender Will Haining. I would have sold him for that but his wages are low for such an important player in the squad so I ask for £250k or no deal. I don't expect it will be followed up.

Jim Barron rejects my offer to become coach at Oldham and in other news Frank Yallop is appointed manager of Peterborough United after Barry Fry moved upstairs.

Tuesday 15th July - Training Pre Season (Agility AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH)

I call all the players and coaching staff together after the Agility session.

IM: As you all know full well, we are in the most difficult position the club has ever faced, finances are very tight at the moment and the future of the club is still uncertain. Because of this I need to reduce the wage bill in time to keep the club alive. I don't have many options, I either offer new contracts at reduced wages or I put players on the transfer list and reduce wages that way. I know it ain't a popular move but it needs to be done for the good of the club. Now you don't have to accept any contract offers given and I am prepared to negotiate the deals I give out to come to an agreement. You should recieve new deals by the end of the day, those of you that don't get a new deal mean I'm happy with the wages being paid out to you. The squad is a little weak in some areas too so I'm bringing in some trialists that were released over the summer, they won't be paid but will be fighting hard to win a contract here. We've got out first game tonight away to Morecambe and a squad of 23 will be put up on the noticeboard after training. Those of you selected must be at the coach for 4pm.

A few more contracts have been offered to players I'm trying to get on trial:

Jones (Luton Town)

Lyttle (Cheltenham Town, Oxford United)

Robson (Scunthorpe United)

Brian Kilkline agrees to become a coach at Oldham. He signs a 3 year deal for £350 a week.

Young Glasgow Celtic keeper Michael Robertson was released today after failing to make the grade their, he looks a decent young goalkeeper so I offer him a contract at Oldham.

Friendly Match

Morecambe Vs. Oldham Athletic

Christie Park

19:30

Morecambe

Mawson, Lane, Gordon, Uberschar, McKearney ©, Thompson, Howell, Collins, Stringfellow, Rigoglioso, Hunter

Subs: McIlhargey, Rogan, Gregoire, Dodgson, Swan, Graham, Osbourne, Walmsley, Hallam, Curtis, Carlton, Perkins

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Michael Clegg

3. Dean Holden

4. Will Haining ©

5. Danny Hall

6. Matt O'Halloran

7. David Eyres

8. Paul Murray

9. John Eyre

10. Chris Killen

11. Scott vernon

Subs

12. Chris Grange

14. Marc Tierney

15. Danny Forde

16. Anthony Mee

17. Darren Sheridan

18. Ernie Cooksey

19. Danny Boshell

20. John Sheridan

21. Andrew Griffin

22. Carlos Roca

23. Chris Hall

24. Craig Fleming

Final Score: Morecambe 4 Rigoglioso (41), (54) Hunter (44) Dodgson pen (86) Oldham Athletic 0

Att: 88

Ref: Mr.A.D'Urso

MOM: Matt O'Halloran

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Four Goal Massacre to Lowly Morecambe

Oldham looked like they were still suffering from the summers contraversey, a very poor performance where only Matt O'Halloran could go back knowing he played well. The Latics lacked the killer instinct up front and very sloppy at the back, the midfield was decent but couldn't unlock a tough Morecambe defence. Having said that Oldham only had 5 recognised players from last season in Pogliacomi, Haining, Eyres, Murray and Eyre but still a 4-0 defeat to Conference side Morecambe is very poor. Morecambe striker Adriano Rigoglioso was the star man tonight and on this showing could go far in the game.

Managers Reaction: We've had the heart ripped out of the squad over the summer and we have to start from stratch, the boys worked hard tonight but with little reward. Some careless moments cost us and we will be working hard on the training pitch to sort things out. This result was a blip at the start of pre-season by the first league game we shall become a tough side to beat.

Murray, Appleby, Clegg, Holden, Killen, Pogliacomi, Darren Sheridan, Eyre, John Sheridan, Boshell, Beherall, Cooksey, O'Halloran and Griffin all offered new contracts.

Philliskirk offered a reduced wage as assistant manager. John Harbin offered reduced wage as coach, Simon Pope and Chris Hughes offered reduced physio contracts.

By the end of the day Simon Pope comes to me and accepts his new contract which sees him contracted until the end of the 2005/06 season on £275 a week, a saving of £25.

Wednesday 16th July 2003 - Training Pre-season (Sprints AM, Technique LUNCH)

Ernie Cooksey comes into my office to accept his contract offer, his wage is reduced by £75 but increases his contract until 2005.

Former Oldham manager Andy Ritchie is also on his way back after he agrees the 3 year contract on £350 a week.

Preston North End manager Craig Brown phones me up offering me a deal for Will Haining. £110k plus a 30% sell on clause plus Lee Cartwright and Rob Edwards. I negotiate a deal as I know the two Preston players won't come here. Real Mallorcadecide not to carry on with signing Will Haining.

Chris Latchem agrees to join as a scout until June 2006 and on £180 a week.

Reserve physio Chris Hughes rejects his new contract outright.

Paul Caton agrees to rejoin the clubs physio team contracted until June 2006 for £275 a week.

Midfielders Leon Bell and Michael Sisson join the club on 4 week trials ending 13/08/03 but Kevin Gallagher rejects his trial invitation.

Darren Jarrett joins the scouting team until June 2006 for £180 a week.

Ian Andrews joins the coaching staff again until June 2006 for £350 a week.

More clubs go in for players that I want on trial:

Perry (Hartlepool United, Chester City)

Jones (Grimsby Town, Plymouth Argyle)

Robson (Rochdale)

Carbon (Swansea City)

David Beherall rejects contract offer, a new deal is offered. But there is good news from the backroom staff, Tony Philliskirk agrees a new contract to stay as Assistant Manager, he is now on £450 a week until June 2006, a saving of £50 a week and John Harbin lso signs a new contract as coach on £350 a week another saving of £50. So far £200 a week has been saved in wages cuts, this needs to drop further though.

Ian John agrees a contract become a scout at Oldham, he joins on £180 a week until June 2006.

Thursday 17th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Closing-Down Session AM, 5-a-side (small pitch) LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Ron Millward phones up early on Thursday morning to recommend a striker, Tresor Kandol, former Luton Town player, his stats look good so I ask him to scout him further.

A number of players join on trials today:

Nicky Hill D LC

Howard Forinton S C

Phil Salt M C

Anthony McStea D R

Bryan Small D/DM L

Anthony Shandran S C

Deal finishes (14/08/03)

Peter Beardsley agrees to join the club as a coach, he is on £350 a week until June 2006.

During the day I am visited by Adam Griffin, John Sheridan, Matty Appleby to discuss their contract offers, they aren't happy with them but are willing to discuss terms, after discussions I offer them new contracts to go and look at.

In other news brought to my attention Brentford defender Ibrahima Sonko is reported to be unhappy at manager Wally Downes or rejecting a bid from Auxerre for his services. I ask for a scouts report on him.

Friday 18th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH, Sprints PM)

Alan Hardy comes in to see me first thing friday morning to let me know about some news.

AH: Hi Ian, I've just had word from Bury FC, Andy Preece would like to sign Peter Beardsley as his new Assistant Manager.

IM: What?! But we only signed him yesterday. I wish that ****** Preece would **** off! What can we do to keep Peter?

AH: Technically nothing, we can offer him a new contract to stay here, Peter can turn them down or he can leave but if he does Bury have to pay us £55k for his services.

IM: Well it's upto Peter then, if he wants to work with him then that's upto him. I'm not offering him a new improved deal having lowered other staff's wages, it just ain't fair and we could do with the money at the moment. Can you ask Peter to come and see me later after training?

AH: No problems I'll get onto that right away.

I Spend the rest of the morning restructuring my coaching staff, I have too many coaches at the moment so I need to offload one or two. I decide that Tommy Wright and Gil Prescott are the two to leave, I'll talk to them later on.

My first permanent signing has been completed today, Michael Williamson, a 17 year old scottish goalkeeper who was released by Celtic few days ago, he is a promising young goalkeeper who I rate highly. He is on £200 a week until June 2006. He commands his area well and his handling is good. I expect him to become a future number 1 in a few years time.

Another load of trialists join the club today:

Paul Dempsey D RC

Darren Bloor D C

Spencer Whelan D RC

Alex Dick D C

Matthew Wicks D LC

Scott Jones D LC

Matthew Ghent GK

Duncan Spedding D LC

Deal finishes (15/08/03)

Brett Angell rejects the offer of a trial at the club and Lee Jones prefers the contract offer from Dundee, rejecting my trial offer and uton, Grimsby and Plymouth's contracts.

Three players accept their new contracts:

Leslie Pogliacomi is now on £1,200 a week until June 2006, a saving of £300.

John Eyre is now earning £1,000 a week until June 2005, a saving of £200.

Matt O'Halloran now earns £600 a week in a lengthened contract lasting until June 2006. A saving of £100.

A saving of £800 in total has been achieved so far.

Danny Boshell, Dean Holden, Paul Murray, Chris Killen, Darren Sheridan and Michael Clegg come rejecting their contracts but willing to talk about them, improved offers are given for them to take away.

Back in the Manager's Office...

IM: Tommy, Gil I'd like to thank you for your hard work here at Boundary Park but I'm afraid with the clubs finances and the bringing in of new staff means I have to release some staff, unfortunately I will have to release you both. I'm going to pay up your contracts in full as form as compensation. I'll sort it out with Neil Joy that the money goes into your acocunts as soon as possible, you are owed £18k each. Thank you for the work you have put in and good luck in the future in finding a new club, I wish you all the best.

So Tommy Wright and Gil Prescott leave the club with their compensation.

IM: Hi Peter, I hear Bury are after your services.

PB: Yes boss err to be honest I've only just come to this club and err to be honest I don't want to leave so soon, I want to further my coaching career into management eventually so I don't know to be honest. I will listen to their offer and decide from there.

IM: Ok that's fair enough, I haven't decided on roles yet for the coaching staff so there might be a management position up for grabs here at Oldham for either the reserves or the youth team. I would like you to stay and build this club up, we need a man of your experience and knowledge here.

PB: Thank you, I'll go and see what they are offering and I'll let you know my decision asap.

Brentford offer a contract to Damon Robson who I'm currently trying to get on a trial.

Preston North End decide not to follow up their bid for Will Haining.

Saturday 19th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Pig In Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH)

Ron Millward gets in touch with me again with another player to look at, Billy Gibson, a young midfielder who has been released by Rangers a few days ago, he looks a good player so I offer him a contract. Chances of getting are slim however as the player is attracting huge interest by other clubs and contracts have already been offered.

More players arrive on trial:

Jamie Cassidy D/M LC

Tom Phillips GK

Des Lyttle D R

Ian Lawson S C

Jonathan Paul Mills M RC

Jonathan Perry D/DM C

Deal finishes (16/08/03)

Matty Appleby and David Beherall both come in to reject contracts again, so new contracts are offered to them.

The FA send me a document saying to give them a list of squad numbers for the 2003/04 season, I send it back with no players with numbers, I'll decide that another time.

Notts County are the latest club to offer a deal to Damon Robson.

In other news Chris Waddle gets ready to put his boots back on as he is named the new Player/Manager of Hereford United.

Sunday 20th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique AM, Sprints LUNCH)

One more player arrives on trial:

Matt Carbon SW/D LC

Deal finishes (17/08/03)

Chris Killen, David Beherall, Paul Murray and Darren Sheridan all reject their offers again, I give them all new improved contracts but I stress this is the last one I am prepared to give them.

Good news as Andy Preece fails in his plot to prise Peter Beardsley rom Oldham, Peter rejects the offer and stays at Oldham.

Monday 21st July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique PM)

Two more players agree to new contracts at the club:

Youngster Adam Griffin signs a new 3 year deal on £400 a week, a saving of £125

Dean Holden agrees to reduce his wage to £1,400 a week until June 2006, a saving of £300.

A saving of £1,225 has been made so far.

Both Danny Boshell and John Sheridan reject their new contracts so I cancel all talk about contracts to them until a later date.

Norwich City and Charlton Athletic add to the growing list to sign Billy Gibson.

Tuesday 22nd July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Agility AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Ron Millward has another player for me to look at, a young keeper in the non-league called Ken Scrivens (Paulton) he doesn't look too bad and he has age on his side so I ask for another report.

Chris Killen agrees to his new contract, he is now on £1,300 a week until June 2006, a saving of £100.

A saving of £1,325 has been made.

Matty Appleby and Michael Clegg reject their contracts so I put talks off contracts on hold with them until the future.

Damon Robson agrees to come on trial, a right midfielder, looks promising, his deal ends (19/08/03)

Just before I leave the office I recieve a call from Billy Gibson's agent, he tells me his client would like to sign for us instead of the likes of Dundee United, Aberdeen and Charlton Athletic. They will be over tomorrow to sign him up. I am well pleased with his signing and to beat Premiership opposition for him is even better.

Wednesday 23rd July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Sprints AM, Technique LUNCH)

Scout Chris Latchem gets back to me about Tresor Kandol and doesn't believe he will offer anything to the club and wouldn't do well in the first team. With that I remove him from my shortlist.

Basingstoke make a £2k offer for Ken Scrivens who is on my shortlist.

Today was a very quiet one at Boundary Park. The players were in intensive training working on their fitness and sharpness.

Thursday 24th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Closing-Down Session AM, 5 a-side (small pitch) LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Chris Latchem tells me that he beleives Ibrahima Sonko would be a useful addition to the squad.

Ron Millward finds yet another keeper, Darren Wright (Stafford Rangers), he looks a decent player for his young age so I ask him to scout further on him.

David Beherall, Darren Sheridan and Paul Murray all reject their latest contract offers and I decide to negotiate with them later on as talks have stalled.

Millwall appoint Eddie Gray as their new manager, he replaces the sacked Mark McGhee.

Friday 25th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique AM)

Aylesbury make a £2k bid for Ken Scrivens.

Ex Oldham manager Iain Dowie has taken over at Division Two rivals Wycombe Wanderers with the two teams due to meet in late November at Wycombe.

Friendly Match

Boston United Vs. Oldham Athletic

York Street

Boston United

Bastock, Sutch, Chapman ©, Ellender, Hocking, L.Thompson, Potter, Brough, Bennett, Logan, Akinfenwa

Subs: Croudson, Duffield, Higgins, Clarke, Angel, N.Thompson, Beevers, Jones, Redfearn, Balmer

Oldham Athletic

1. Matthew Ghent ©

2. Anthony McStea

3. Duncan Spedding

4. Paul Dempsey

5. Nicky Hill

6. Leon Bell

7. Jamie Cassidy

8. Michael Sisson

9. Phil Salt

10. Anthony Shandran

11. Howard Forinton

Subs:

12. Tom Phillips

14. Scott Jones

15. Spencer Whelan

16. Matthew Wicks

17. Jonathan Perry

18. Jonathan Paul Mills

19. Damon Robson

20. Billy Gibson

21. David Eyres

22. Carlos Roca

23. Craig Fleming

24. Ian Lawson

Final Score: Boston United 2 Akinfenwa (16), Phillips OG (84) Oldham Athletic 3 Shandran (10), Fleming (48), Lawson (79)

Att: 281

Ref: Mr.M.Messias

MOM: Tom Phillips

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Trialists Do Latics Proud

It was Boston United versus Two Oldham Athletic sides, one in each half as Ian McAlister used this game to try out his trialists. Neil Redfearn ex Latics player arranged the match other ex Latics players Neil Thompson and Stuart Balmer also were in the lineup for Boston. Oldham Trialists 1st XI started brightly and deservedly took the lead through Anthony Shandran who looked very promising in the first half, minutes later the scores were level, Nigerian striker Akinfenwa scored a cracking volley from 20 yards out, poor defending from Hill gave him the chance however. Oldham were still the brighter side, attacking at will but unable to find a goal. Spedding and Sisson also played well. During the break Oldham brought a completely new side onto the pitch and three minutes into the second half Fleming rose well from a Lawson cross to head his cross in. Phillips the new keeper was more busier in the second half and made a few fantastic saves to keep Oldham ahead. The game was over in the 79th minute, Eyresy found some space as the game became stretched and crossed to Lawson who launched a volley into the top corner of the net. Boston grabbed a lifeline when a Boston corner went in off Phillips for an unlucky own goal, he had played superbly until that point. Boston nearly equalised minutes later as a Boston player was left unmarked but hit his shot over the bar. After that Oldham stood strong for their first win of pre-season. Wicks, Perry, Mills, Gibson and Lawson put in good performances in the second half there wasn't a leak link however. A far better performance from the trailists than the first team at Morecambe.

Manager's Comments: I am very pleased with the attitude and performance from the trailists today and some of them have gone a long way in earning a contract here, unfortunately finances are tight so I may not be able to sign all the players that I would like. The result was far better than the Morecambe game and I feel the players are getting more fitter now. There were so many good performances that I couldn't mention them all, it was a game full of pluses.

Saturday 26th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Pig In Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH)

Not much ation at the club today the scouts come back with their thoughts on players, Chris Latchem beleives that Adriano Rigoglioso who ripped Oldham apart the other week isn't good enough to be signed, I'll keep him on my shortlist however to see how he progresses. Ron Millward lets me know that James WIlliams, Ex-Swindon Town midfielder is on a free, I ask him to scout him further but chances of signing him are bleak as he already has interest.

Steve Coppell of Reading is on the phone to me enquiring about how much I'd let young Latics striker Scott Vernon go for. I tell him £75k plus a 10% sell on clause, Coppell said he'd get back to me.

Sunday 27th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique AM, Sprints LUNCH)

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis makes a bid for Oldham defender David Beherall. They offer Brian Wilson in exchange as a straight swap and a 10% sell on clause for Beherall. I think about the offer and then after a short while accept the deal and offer Wilson a contract.

Alan Curbishley confirms his interest in young striker Scott Vernon. They offer £22k plus a 50% sell on clause. I feel the price is a little low for a promising striker and I ask for £100k.

Cardiff City give keeper Neil Alexander some competition for his spot by signing QPR's Chris Day for £95k.

Why sell good old (crap today) Beharall or nowt plus bag of horse crap Wilson? You could get about £400k for big ears, rather than the nowt your getting.

Monday 28th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique PM)

Steve Bruce the manager of Birmingham City puts in a bid for Oldham top-earner Paul Murray. An offer of £75k is made. I accept his offer as Murray is on too much and the club can't afford to pay his wages each week, he won't agree to a new deal either so he can leave.

Alan Pardew makes a bid for Scott Vernon, £35k upfront plus Rob Lee and Dean Smith and a 20% sell on clause. I reject it straight away because I don't want Lee and Smith and I hate Pardew. Hope he gets sacked the cheat!

Tuesday 29th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Agility AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH)

Chris Latchem reckons Ken Scrivens will develop into a good goalkeeper, Aylesbury win the race to sign him. They pay £2k for his services.

Bradford City offer £40k plus Peter Atherton and Fraser McHugh for David Beherall, I refuse the offer outright.

Reading give up on signing Scott Vernon but Steve McClaren has seen something in the youngster and Middlesborough put in a bid of £85kfor him, I tell them I want £100k.

Friendly Match

Halesowen Town Vs. Oldham Athletic

The Grove

Halesowen Town

Lowe, Jones, Charlton, Newall ©, Colwell, Steane, Hollis, Baker, Trainer, Ashby, Dunkley

Subs: Cook, Hallam, Saunders, Ford, Kennedy, Stuart, Smith, Webb, Newton, Skidmore, Wilson

Oldham Athletic

1. Matthew Ghent ©

2. Des Lyttle

3. Bryan Small

4. Matt Carbon

5. Darren Bloor

6. Damon Robson

7. Jamie Cassidy

8. Billy Gibson

9. Leon Bell

10. Howard Forinton

11. Ian Lawson

Subs

12. Michael Robertson

14. Alex Dick

15. Nicky Hill

16. Anthony McStea

17. Spencer Whelan

18. Jonathan Perry

19. Jonathan Paul Mills

20. Phil Salt

21. Danny Boshell

22. Anthony Shandran

23. Craig Fleming

24. Carlos Roca

Final Score: Halesowen Town 1 Baker pen (13) Oldham Athletic 3 Shandran (76), (90+4), Forinton (87)

Att: 150

Ref: Mr.C.Wilkes

MOM: Anthony Shandran

Simon Pope: Jonathan Perry picked up a Pulled Hamstring during the game tonight and won't be back in action for 2 weeks.

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Sub Shandran Spares Latics Blushes

Another game to test out trialist almost ends in a shocking defeat to the hands of lowly Halesowen Town. Oldham were always in control of the ball in the first half but a rare attack by Halesowen resulted in a corner, from the corner Lyttle pushed Hollis and the ref awarded Halesowen a penalty. Baker put in the top right hand corner, Ghent no chance. The Blues created plenty of chances but Forinton was missing a load. Changes were made in the break and Oldham came out a more determined, attacking force, they were still being frustrated by some poor finishing. Eventually Halesowen's defence cracked under the pressure and Shandran fired into an empty net after a superb passing move involving Forinton. With minutes to go Oldham finally went ahead. Mills broke free on the right of midfield and raced down the wing and played an inch perfect ball to the onrushing Forinton, he ran and at last made one of his shots count, the scoring wasn't finished for Oldham, Shandran ho had made a positive influence in the game sealed the victory with a superb 30 yard free kick which sailed into the top right hand corner, even Beckham would have been proud. So another victory but nothing we didn't expect from this game, typical Oldham for leaving it late but eventually a job well done.

Manager's Comments: We were dominant tonight and so we should have been. I was very disappointed at our lapse in concentration which led to their penalty and goal and our lack of finishing until the end of the game. It's only pre-season but we need to be winning games like this, no disrespect to Halesowen, they were good opposition to play against. I thought Billy Gibson was fantastic tonight, he is definately looking like a player who could come good for us. Anthony (Shandran) was magnificent when he came on and that free kick was fantastic.

Wednesday 30th July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Sprints AM, Technique LUNCH)

Dario Gradi offers Richard Walker in a straight swap for Scott Vernon. I reject the offer. Cardiff City offer £40k for David Beherall, I ask for £75k.

Paul Murray rejects a move to Birmingham City, he feels his ability justifies a bigger salary, so Murray stays put.

Wycombe Wanderers loan Eddie Sandford from Coventry City for 3 months.

Shrewsbury Town loan Gary Jones of Barnsley for 3 months.

Derby County's Chris Palmer goes to Stockport County on a 3 month loan deal.

Ex-Manchester City defender Danny Granville joins Luton Town on a 3 month loan deal from Crystal Palace.

OAFC Finances July 2003

INCOME Month Season

Gate Reciepts £1,854 £1,854

Season Tickets £146,300 £146,300

TV Revenue £0 £0

Merchandising £8,723 £8,723

Players Sold £0 £0

Prize Money £0 £0

Investments £0 £0

Interest £0 £0

Other £6,075 £6,075

Sponsorship £0 £0

£162,952 £162,952

Expenditure Month Season

Wages £111,895 £111,895

Bonuses £0 £0

Signing On Fees £1,000 £1,000

Dividends £0 £0

Players Bought £0 £0

Ground Maintainance £37,500 £37,500

League Fines £0 £0

Interest £254 £254

Tax £0 £0

Other £32,130 £32,130

£182,579 £182,579

Income £162,952 £162,952

Expenditure £182,579 £182,579

Profit/Loss -£19,627 -£19,627

Balance -£272,461

Wage Budget £21,000

Wage Total £25,107

Difference £4,107

Dff. Previous Month -£107

Thursday 31st July 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Closing-Down Session AM, 5 a-side (small pitch) LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Chris Latchem believes that Adebayo Akinfenwa won't develop into a top striker for Oldham but James Wills thinks that Matthew Ghent might make a useful squad member.

Brian Wilson rejects my contract offer and the Beherall swap deal to Stoke City falls through. Middlesbrough withdraw their offer for Scott Vernon.

Alan Hardy sends me a letter notifying me of players contracts running out at the end of the season.

First Team: Danny Boshell, David Eyres, Paul Murray, Darren Sheridan, Scott Vernon, John Sheridan

Reserve Team: Carlos Roca, Danny Hall, Craig Fleming, Danny Forde, Marc Tierney

Youth Team: Chris Grange, Kelvin Lomax, Chris Taylor, Charles Treacey, Ashley Winn, Paul Armstrong

Weymouth sign Steve Williams from Wycombe for £9k.

Southampton's Jamie Gleeson joins Brentford on a 3 month loan deal.

Friday 1st August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH, Sprints PM)

The Board of Directors send me an e-mail stating that they have every confidence in me as manager of Oldham and they feel they made the right choice.

My scout Chris Latchem recommends that I sign James Williams, he looks decent enough so I offer him a contract.

Ron Millward recommends striker Eric Rostron but his stats are poor and I don't follow it up.

James Wills feels that Hereford United defender Ryan Green would be a useful addition to the team, I agree but ask him to scout him more.

Today I travel to The Football League HQ for the Carling Cup 1st Round Draw, as the draw unfolds Oldham Athletic will be at home against Lincoln City of the 3rd Division. The tie will be played on (13/08/03).

Both Cardiff City and Wigan Athletic offer £75k for David Beherall. I agree to their offers and it's now upto David to decide where his future lies.

Rotherham United and Everton make bids for Paul Murray. Rotherham offer Nick Daws and Chris Swales for him, but I don't agree to that deal so I reject it. Everton offer £8k plus young promising defender Sean O'Hanlon for Murray. This I agree to and I offer Sean a contract.

Saturday 2nd August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Pig In Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH)

Chris Latchem who keeps on updating me daily tells me Darren Wright will not make it as an Oldham player.

Carling Cup opponents Lincoln City offer a contract to James Williams.

West Bromwich Albion into how much I'd be willing to let Paul Murray go for. I reply saying £150k.

Auxerre offer £240k for Ibrahima Sonko.

Friendly Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Reading

Boundary Park

15:00

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Michael Clegg

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Dean Holden

5. Will Haining ©

6. Matt O'Halloran

7. David Eyres

8. John Eyre

9. Billy Gibson

10. Chris Killen

11. Scott Vernon

Subs

12. Matthew Ghent

14. Danny Hall

15. Des Lyttle

16. Spencer Whelan

17. Scott Jones

18. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

20. Paul Murray

21. Adam Griffin

22. Howard Forinton

23. Ian Lawson

24. Anthony Shandran

Reading

Hahnemann, Brown, Shorey, Mackie ©, Rifat, Hughes, Tyson, Harper, Newman, Goater, Savage

Subs: Ashdown, Hindley, Boucard, Campbell, Henderson, Murty, Davis, S.Murray, Forster, Williams, Castle, Salako

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 0 Reading 2 Shorey pen (7), Boucard pen (66)

Att: 4,484

Ref: Mr.N.Barry

MOM: Will Haining

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham Beaten by Dubious Penalties

Oldham were beaten today by two harsh looking penalties. It was McAlister's first home game in charge and he would have liked a victory for the fans but it wasn't to be. Oldham did play well though, some of their passing and build up play was excellent, they caused Reading's defence problems. Matthew Wicks had a good game at left back, he'll have done his chances of a contract no harm. The only negative point was the result, with a bit of luck Oldham should do well this season. Things are looking promising.

Manager's Comments: We were unlucky today against a very good Division One team. The penalty decision I felt were harsh. Will Haining was bossing the defence like a veteran and Matthew Wicks had a good game too, we passed the ball around well, created space and got behind their defence once or twice. On another day we would have beaten them today. I feel this performance shows we won't do too badly in Division Two this season, play offs? Who knows? I think the team has improved so much in the 3 weeks I've been in charge for.

Sunday 3rd August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Technique AM, Sprints LUNCH)

Ron Millward thinks that Rory Barker has the potential to become a promising player and that he is a free transfer after being released by Hartlepool United, I see nothing in him however.

Chester City and Barnet also offer contracts to James Williams, fingers crossed that he decides to come here.

Paul Keegan of Leeds United joins Wrexham on a 3 month loan and scottish side Livingston buy Port Vale's Michael Walsh for £65k.

Tuesday 5th August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Agility AM, Technique LUNCH)

James Wills thinks that former Southampton midfielder Kevin Gibbens would add depth to the squad, Kevin is currently at Eastleigh but he looks good so I ask for him to be scouted more.

West Bromwich Albion decide not to persue Paul Murray any further as the value on him is too high.

Both Paul Murray's and David Beherall's agents are on the phone to me telling me that they had agreed terms with Everton and Wigan Athletic respectively, David's transfer has been signed. He leaves for £75k having turning down Cardiff City, he is looking forward to playing at a higher level, I wish him all the best. Paul's transfer ain't sorted yet as Sean O'Hanlon hasn't agreed his contract with Oldham yet.

A short time later Sean gets in touch and agrees his deal and will join Oldham with Murray going the opposite way to Everton. I'll get £8k on top of Sean. I ring David Moyes to get the deal finished. Two players sold today, a huge chunk of my wage bill cut and £83k from the transfers plus Sean O'Hanlon who looks like a fantastic signing for the future.

Unfortunately James Williams decides to join Barnet instead of us. Must have been promised first team football.

In other news Grimsby Town sign Rob Ullathorne on a free transfer, Wigan Athletic sign goalkeeper Paul Smith from Brentford for £180k and Tony Barras will leave Notts County and join Scunthorpe United on the 1st December 2003.

Friendly Match

Oxford United Vs. Oldham Athletic

Kassam Stadium

Oxford United

Bankole, McNiven, Bampfield, McCarthy, Bound, Omoyinmi, Brown, Hunt, Wanless ©, Basham, S.Brooks

Subs: Woodman, Brandish, Tomkins, O'Sullivan, Crosby, Robinson, R.Brooks, Steele, Garner, Whitehead, Hackett, Rawle

Oldham Athletic

1. Tom Phillips

2. Paul Dempsey

3. Bryan Small ©

4. Matt Carbon

5. Darren Bloor

6. Jonathan Paul Mills

7. Jamie Cassidy

8. Leon Bell

9. Michael Sisson

10. Howard Forinton

11. Ian Lawson

Subs

12. Matthew Ghent

14. Nicky Hill

15. Alex Dick

16. Duncan Spedding

17. Anthony McStea

18. Damon Robson

19. Phil Salt

20. Des Lyttle

21. Spencer Whelan

22. Scott Jones

23. Anthony Shandran

24. Scott Vernon

Final Score: Oxford United 1 Tomkins (56) Oldham Athletic 0

Att: 595

Ref: Mr.F.Stretton

MOM: Duncan Spedding

Simon Pope: Bryan Small had to leave the field today with a sprained ankle but it's not as serious as first thought and he'll be back tomorrow.

Oldham Evening Chronicle: This was the trialists last chance to impress before the start of the season which begins on Saturday. In general it was a positive performance but the wrong result with Oxford sneaking the winner. This Pre-Season campaign Oldham have Played 5, Won 2 (Boston United 3-2, Halesowen Town 3-1), Drawn 0 and Lost 3 (Morecambe 4-0, Reading 2-0, Oxford United 1-0) McAlister has told us that this was the last chance for the players to convince him that they are worthy of a contract and I'm sure a few of them have. Oxford's goal came against the run of play and a fumble from Phillips let Tomkin have an easy tap in from a few yards out. Oldham did get a penalty and it was Forinton who took it but as many of his chances he failed to score and Bankole saved easily. Oldham had other chances but mainly half-chances, they jsut couldn't find a way through.

Managers Comment: Another committed performance tonight but again a mistake and it costs us the win. Forinton was unlucky with his penalty, it wasn't his day at all. But there was some pleasing performances out there tonight and I'll be going to see the Chairman tomorrow morning and getting his approval to sign some players, hopefully before the start of the season.

Wednesday 6th August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Sprints AM, Technique LUNCH)

Ron Millward recommends James Birdsey who has been recently released by Northwich Victoria, he believes he has potential, I just don't see it though.

Other transfer news, Rangers sign Emmerson Boyce of Luton Town for £375k, Everton sign Louis Carey from Bristol City for £230k, Ibrahima Sonko agrees to join Auxerre for £240k and Wrexham will get Nick Daws from Rotherham United on the 2nd January 2004.

I decide which players I would like to sign up, who to look at again and who not to sign up:

Wanted:

Anthony McStea

Spencer Whelan

Jamie Cassidy

Matthew Wicks

Alex Dick

Damon Robson

Phil Salt

Anthony Shandran

Look at again:

Matthew Ghent

Jonathan Perry

Leon Bell

Jonathan Paul Mills

Michael Sisson

Ian Lawson

Duncan Spedding

Unwanted:

Tom Phillips

Matt Carbon

Paul Dempsey

Des Lyttle

Nicky Hill

Scott Jones

Bryan Small

Darren Bloor

Howard Forinton

I then also sort out roles at the club:

Assistant Manager: Tony Philliskirk

First Team Coaches: Tony Philiskirk, John Harbin, Peter Beardsley

Reserve/Youth Team Coaches: Andy Ritchie, John Sheridan, Brian Kilkline, Peter Beardsley

Goalkeeping Coach: Ian Andrews

Reserve Team Manager: Tony Philliskirk

Youth Team Manager: Andy Ritchie

First Team Physio: Simon Pope

Reserve/Youth Team Physio: Paul Caton

Goalkeeping Physio: Chris Hughes

Club Captain: David Eyres

Team Captain: Will Haining

Ruud Gullit becomes the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Thursday 7th August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Clsoing Down Session AM, 5 a-side (small pitch) LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Trialist Jonathan Paul Mills fell awkwardly in training today and x-rays reveal that he has fractured his wrist and will be out for 3 weeks.

Chris Latchem feels that Portugese striker Rubens is not good enough.

Stockport County sign York City's Chris Smith for £12k.

Friday 8th August 2003: Training Pre-Season (Technique AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH, Sprints PM)

Ryan Green isn't rated by Chris Latchem, he doesn't feel he is good enough.

Alex Dick and Jamie Cassidy both reject offered contracts, new ones are offered.

Spencer Whelan and Matthew Wicks sign for Oldham. Spencer signs for a season and is on £200 a week. Matthew joins until June 2006 and will earn £500 a week. Both are ineligable for tomorrows opening game.

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham Athletic Season 2003/04 Preview

Barnsley

Barnsley will be looking for an improvement on last seasons positive and will almost certainly do that with manager Stefan Thordarson. The squad looks strong and a forward line in Rory Fallon and Isaiah Rankin. They had a promising pre-season and were unbeaten, beating Wimbledon 2-0 was the highlight.

Blackpool

Blackpool at times last season had the look of a very good side capable of perhaps getting a play-off spot but they fell away near the end when loanees went back to their clubs. A very well run club and could possibly challenge again for the play-offs. They have a very good and shrewd manager in Steve McMahon. The pre-season wasn't very promising however, only winning 1 of 6 and that being to Leigh RMI, the loss to Lincoln City proving the worst.

Bournemouth

Promoted via the Division 3 play-offs last term, Bournemouth came back into Division Two at the first attempt. Surely will be a season of consolidation and improvment. They didn't win any matches in pre-season and drawing only one, a 0-0 draw to Coventry City. They seem not capable of scoring many and their defence looks leaky.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Brighton were relegated from Division One but they showed lots of improvement as the season went on under Steve Coppell and although Bobby Zamora has finally gone they have replaced him with Leon Knight. A very impressive squad who will challenge for promotion again this season. A promising pre-season saw victories over AFC Wimbledon, Leyton Orient and Farnborough Town.

Brentford

An indifferent season for Brentford last year and this season should prove no different, perhaps a truggle against relegation, they have lost goalkeeper Paul Smith and star defender Ibrahima Sonko. If they don't replace them, they could find this season even tougher.

Bristol City

Beaten in the play-off semi-final, maybe this year will be their year for promotion. It maybe Danny Wilson's last season however as the Bristol board must surely be wanting promotion this season. Impressive results against higher level opposition in pre-season is showing that they could make the jump up.

Chesterfield

Just avoided relegation on the last day. But the team looks more impressive this season. They have appointed experienced Roy McFarland as the new manager. Had a very good pre-season being unbeaten. The defence looks very tight. Ex-Oldham players Paul Warhurst, Mark Innes, Mark Allott and David Reeves are still at Chesterfield.

Colchester United

It looked last season like the perennial relegation candidates of Division Two would finally meet their fate but the appointment of Phil Parkinson resulted in a upturn in fortunes and a mid-table spot was secured, further improvements are expected this term, he has brought in new players including ex Oldham favourite Wayne Andrews. Pre-season result were mixed however.

Grimsby Town

Grimsby were relegated from Division One and will be looking for promotion back straight away, unfortunately Grimsby will be a mid-table club at best, they did beat Sheffield United in pre-season though.

Hartlepool United

Division Three runners-up last season should find the progression to the next level fairly easy, they have a decent squad, definately not one that should get relegated, they have a fiery manager in Neale Cooper and he will move this team forward after Mike Newell left for Luton in the summer. A good win against Leicester City should give the team some early confidence.

Luton Town

The Hatters are in a huge financial mess and in administration as we speak, they shouldn't go under but cuts will have to be made in order to save the club, the squad that Kinnear built is still strong however and the final position will depend on who has to leave, if things stay relatively the same they should do well. A poor pre-season with the team losing many games to lower league opposition.

Notts County

The oldest club in the football league are in huge financial trouble, they went into adiminstration last year and they are still in it. Billy Dearden has worked miracles for the team just to keep it in this division. They should start to improve soon. I expect them to finish mid-table.

Oldham Athletic

What a difference a summer makes, if I did this at the start of the summer Oldham would have been one of the favourites for promotion, now they will be happy just to stay in business and in Division Two. New manager Ian McAlister had to lower wages and sell players just to get us to this point, a major rebuild is now needed but a pretty disappointing pre-season leaves confidence of Oldham doing well a little low.

Peterborough United

Something of an unknown as rookie manager Frank Yallop has taken over, little is known about his managing abilities but they wil lbe put to the test here. The Posh have had an excellent youth system in the past few years but their first team seems to struggle at times. A rather unimpressive pre-season was brightened up by a win over Portsmouth.

Plymouth Argyle

Argyle will challenge for promotion this season, they have amased a good group of players that can challenge for places near the top of the table. Paul Sturrock has the knowledge to get the best from his players. They beat Bristol Rovers, Llanelli, Torquay and Cwmbran but lost to Reading and rivals Exeter City.

Port Vale

The Valiants will do well this season, they have a good attack and their defnce which was the problem last year is also stronger, a possible outsider for a play-off place. Brian Horton's men have had a mixed pre-season, beating Crystal Palace 1-0 and even had a friendly with turkish side Galatasaray but they lost 5-1.

QPR

This year will be Rangers season to go up, under Ian Holloway the club has improved year on year and now have a very good squad in which to challenge for the championship. They were beaten in the play-off final, beating Oldham along the way with that heart breaking Paul Furlong goal. An almost faultless pre-season campaign against Premiership sides shows they will be one of the teams to beat.

Rushden & Diamonds

Rushden have never been as high in the football league ladder as Division Three until they won the league as champions last year. Rushden won't struggle though, they have a rich chairman in Max Briggs who will bankroll the club and a good manager in Brian Talbot. Expect them to finish mid-table. In pre-season they have beaten the teams in the Premiership and Division One but lost to teams in the league below, they possibly might misjudge some teams and lose silly points.

Sheffield Wednesday

The biggest club in Division Two, the giants of this league. Wednesday will be there or thereabouts but they will find it tough as teams raise their games to beat them. Pre-season hasn't gone well for them losing games to teams they shouldn't. Chris Turner has a massive job on his hands to get this club promoted as the fans will demand, if he doesn't he'll recieve his P45 sonner rather than later.

Stockport County

Sammy McIlroy the former Northern Ireland manager will have his work cut out to get this side away from relegation, years of under improvement have seen the club fall from top half of Division One down to the lower reaches of Divsion Two. Had a good pre-season however but all against lower league opposition.

Swindon Town

Probably the most improved squad from last season, they have some impressive players in the summer bringing in Rhys Evans from Chelsea and Tommy Mooney from Watford, he'll from a superb partnership with Sam Parkin. Andy King the manager is one of the games characters if not a little crazy but he knows how to manage and Swindon should be a top half side.

Tranmere Rovers

Rovers will be only be satisfied with a play-off place minimum. They replaced Ray Mathias with Brian Little over the summer and his positive outlook and his coaching abilites should see Tranmere achieve their goal. They beat Premiership Manchester City 4-2 in a friendly. Probably will be the shock team of this season.

Wrexham

Another team who got repromoted to Division Two after being relegated the year before but expect them to struggle again. Denis Smith will have his work cut out but if he can bring players in they may stand a chance.

Wycombe Wanderers

Former manager Iain Dowie has just taken charge of Wycombe. If anyone can get this team going in the right direction it's Iain. A slightly different challenge to the one at Oldham where he had money to spend and a good squad, this time he'll have to build a team up from stratch, Wycombe did well in pre-season beating near neighbours Reading 2-1 in their previous game. Expect this team to improve as the season and their fitness increases.

Final League Standings Prediction

1. Bristol City

2. QPR

3. Brighton & Hove Albion

4. Sheffield Wednesday

5. Tranmere Rovers

6. Plymouth Argyle

7. Luton Town

8. Port Vale

9. Wycombe Wanderers

10. Swindon Town

11. Blackpool

12. Colchester United

13. Rushden & Diamonds

14. Hartlepool United

15. Notts County

16. Barnsley

17. Oldham Athletic

18. Grimsby Town

19. Bournemouth

20. Chesterfield

21. Peterborough United

22. Brentford

23. Wrexham

24. Stockport County

Reserve Team Fixtures: Season 2003/04

19/08/03: Preston North End H

26/08/03: Rotherham United A

09/09/03: Sheffield Wednesday H

16/09/03: Bradford City A

30/09/03: Tranmere Rovers H

07/10/03: Grimsby Town A

21/10/03: Burnley A

28/10/03: Barnsley H

11/11/03: Wigan Athletic H

18/11/03: Stockport County A

02/12/03: Blackpool A

09/12/03: Preston North End A

23/12/03: Rotherham United H

30/12/03: Sheffield Wednesday A

13/01/04: Bradford City H

20/01/04: Tranmere Rovers A

03/02/04: Burnley H

24/02/04: Grimsby Town H

16/03/04: Wigan Athletic A

06/04/04: Barnsley A

27/04/04: Stockport County H

04/05/04: Blackpool H

Under-19's Fixtures: Season 2003/04

16/08/03: Manchester City H

23/08/03: Rotherham United A

06/09/03: Wigan Athletic H

14/09/03: Preston North End A

27/09/03: Everton A

05/10/03: Barnsley H

19/10/03: Grimsby Town A

26/10/03: Bolton Wanderers H

08/11/03: Blackpool A

15/11/03: Burnley H

29/11/03: Bradford City A

06/12/03: Manchester City A

21/12/03: Rotherham United H

27/12/03: Wigan Athletic A

10/01/04: Preston North End H

18/01/04: Everton H

31/01/04: Barnsley A

21/02/04: Grimsby Town H

13/03/04: Bolton Wanderers A

03/04/04: Blackpool H

24/04/04: Burnley A

08/05/04: Bradford City H

Weekend's Fixture Predictions

Bournemouth Vs. Peterborough United 2-1

Brentford Vs. Luton Town 1-3

Bristol City Vs. Hartlepool United 2-1

Chesterfield Vs. Rushden & Diamonds 0-0

Colchester United Vs. Oldham Athletic 2-0

Grimsby Town Vs. Barnsley 3-3

Notts County Vs. QPR 0-3

Plymouth Argyle Vs. Wycombe Wanderers 2-0

Port Vale Vs. Wrexham 1-1

Sheffield Wednesday Vs. Blackpool 2-0

Stockport County Vs. Tranmere Rovers 0-1

Swindon Town Vs. Brighton & Hove Albion 0-2

Oldham Squad (16 players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Holden, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Fleming, Killen, Vernon

Bookies Guide: Colchester Win 6-4 Fav Draw 2-1 Oldham Win 13-8

Saturday 9th August 2003 - Training Pre-Season (Pig in the Middle AM)

Ron Millward has given me a report on Colchester United, my next opponents.

He believes Colchester to be an exceptional team and somewhere where we might struggle, he also notes that former Oldham striker Wayne Andrews will be a potent threat in attack with his pace. They like to play a simple 4-4-2 formation. Ron also goes on to say that he thinks Kem Izzet, Karl Duguid and Thomas Pinault are the key players to the side. In their last match they lost to Crystal Palace at home in a friendly 1-0, Colchester were never in the game and not creating any chances.

Telford United want Carlos Roca on loan for 3 months. They don't want to cup-tie him and let him play against us but they don't want us to recall him early. I agree to let Carlos go. Upto him now if he wants the experience.

Nationwide League Division Two Match

Colchester United Vs. Oldham Athletic

Layer Road

Colchester United

1. Simon Brown

2. Andy Myers

3. Joe Keith

6. Thomas Pinault

7. Karl Duguid ©

8. Wayne Andrews

10. Kem Izzet

17. Bobby Bowry

24. Pat Baldwin

25. Sam Stockley

33. Craig Fagan

Subs

31. Richard McKinney

5. Scott Fitzgerald

9. Scott McGleish

16. Phil Parkinson

20. Jermaine Brown

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

16. Sean O'Hanlon

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

13. Michael Robertson

17. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

21. Danny Hall

28. Craig Fleming

Final Score: Colchester United 0 Oldham Athletic 2 Vernon (68), Killen (75)

Att: 3,345

Ref: Mr.K.Hill

MOM: Chris Killen

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Latics Start with Magnificent Away Victory

A fantastic start to the season, an opening day win and a convinving one at that. It didn't seem that way at the start, Colchester put pressure on the Oldham defence which was suffering from opening day nerves but they didn't take their chances. Gradualy Oldham settled and started to pass the ball around with confidence, then came the chances and there was many. Midway through the half David Eyres came the closest to scoring, he struck a 30 pard free kick which beat Simon Brown but struck the post and went across the goaline and cleared. It was amazing the scores stayed goalless at half time. Into the second half and still no goal it looked like there was no way through with both Vernon and Killen guilty of missing chances. McAlister sensed that Oldham were in full control of the game and asked his team to attack more and to get tighter in all areas of the pitch, this worked a treat as Oldham forced themselves a corner, a fine delivery from Eyres and a fantastic leap from Vernon who headed home unmarked to put Oldham ahead. Shortly after Eyres made way for Ernie Cooksey to a huge ovation from the travelling support, Cooksey added some bite into the midfield to try and secure the lead, but it just got even better a move from the back played short by Pogliacomi to Clegg who passed it down the wing to O'Halloran who blitzed his way down the right wing, he crossed and found Killen , his header was saved but it came straight back to him and he couldn't miss. With the upcoming cup tie in mind McAlister brought off Haining and Eyre and on came Danny Hall and Darren Sheridan. Colchester did threaten a few times near the end but nothing came of it. Oldham had secured all 3 points and it was fully deserved. Next up Lincoln City at home in the Carling Cup on wednesday.

Manager's Comments: Well after all of this summers chaos to win and to win so comfortably in the end was a great achievement and hopefully there will be more to come. There were a few players making their debuts today and they all did the team proud. It's testament to the work the players have done during pre-season training. We started off nervously, first match nerves but we settled in quickly, we could have won it by more in the end but 2-0 will do me. Was nice to see Wayno (Wayne Andrews) again. We know he had no choice but to leave the club during the chaos and delighted he is settling in well here. If I could I'd still have him here and but still I was happy he didn't score against us today.

The Oldham Board told the media at Layer Road that they were pleased with the victory over Colchester.

Phil Salt and Anthony Shandran reject their contract offers, they would like more money, I offer them an improved wage.

Sunday 10th August 2003 - Training (Rest)

Damon Robson called me to let me know he wasn't interested in the contract I had offered, I negotiated another one and gave him some time to think about it.

To some people the official start to the new season is the Community Shield. This season it was between Manchester United and Arsenal. The game ended 2-0 to Manchester United John O'Shea and summer signing Anelka with the goals, Arsenal were never in this game. The first piece of silverware was heading back to Old Trafford.

Farnborough Town announced their new manager was Bulgairan, Hristo Bonev.

My mobile rings and it's Chris Latchem on the other end,

CL: Hi Ian just ringing to let you know that I've scouted that Portugese striker Reynald Videira.

IM: Ah good, what's he like then? Worth signing?

CL: Nah mate, he doesn't look to promising to me, I'd not persue him.

IM: Ok keep on searching.

Other transfer news sees Stephen Kelly join Swindon Town on loan for 3 months, the Tottenham youngster is hoping for some first-team experience and Chesterfield bolster their squad by loaning Jonathan Walters of Bolton Wanderers for 3 months also.

Monday 11th August 2003 - Training Fist Team & Reserves(Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

Early morning Paul Caton comes to see me.

PC: Just to let you know, Alex Dick had a pretty serious accident in training.

IM: How serious? What's he done?

PC: He has damaged his neck after going for a header, he will be ok but he won't be able to play for 3 weeks at least.

IM: Ok erm definately will be ok as I'm about to sign him, he came into me earlier and accepted his contract, Alan (Hardy) is just registering him.

PC: Yeah he's made of strong stuff, I don't see any problems at all.

IM: That's good, I'll sign him then.

Two players sign for the club today, young centre back Alex Dick signs until the end of the season and will get £375 a week. Also Anthony Shandran signs for the club until the end of the season, he will earn £700 a week. Anthony goes straight into the squad for the Lincoln game.

Carlos Roca is of to Telford United for 3 months to gain some experience, he is a future talent for the club and hopefully this will be his next step up towards first team football for us.

CL: Hi again, been scouting Dean Blake recently as requested and I'm afraid he isn't quite what the club is looking for, if he was younger then I would recommend him.

Tuesday 12th August 2003 - Training First & Reserve Teams (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Another two trialists become permanent players in the team. Left winger Jamie Cassidy sign until the end of August next year for £375 a week. Anthony McStea the young right-back also signs, also for a year and will get £350 a week.

Damon Robson again rejects the contract offer, another one is offered but it's his last offer.

Ambitious Cheltenham Town ook to bounce straight back into Division Two by appointing Trevor Francis as manager.

Chris Latchem Adi Rais Mbolhi as he feels he ain't good enough for english football.

Mark McGhee signs former Manchester City favourite, Georgi Kinkladze, he hopes Georgi will set the second division alight with his ability. Hartlepool United's Mark Robinson joins Exeter City for 3 months and Swindon Town loan Tony Craig from Millwall.

Ron Millward sends me a report of my next opposition Lincoln City who we play in the Carling Cup.

He says that manager Keith Alexander prefers Lincoln to play a direct 5-3-2 formation. Lincoln are capable of causing a shock and beating us on their day. Lincoln have a pacey attack and we should watch out for Allan Pearce upfront.

Their keys players are ex Oldham youth player Ben Futcher, his height will be a problem to us, Paul Morgan a central defender and right winger Paul Smith.

In their last game they narrowly lost to Northampton Town 1-0 away in a fairly even game

Oldham Squad (17 Players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Holden, Wicks, Haining, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Fleming, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Bookies Odds: Oldham Win 4-6 Fav Draw 9-4 Lincoln Win 7-2

Wednesday 13th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

Both Michael Sisson's and Leon Bell's trials end today and they leave the club, I'm still unsure about them and would like them to come back for another month in the reserves.

Chris Latchem thinks that Kevin Gibbens isn't good enough to be signed for Oldham.

In other transfer news, Plymouth sign Mark Perry on a free transfer and Nottingham Forest buy Lee Peacock from Bristol City for £140k.

Carling Cup 1st Round Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Lincoln City

Boundary Park

19:45

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

20. Anthony Shandran

Subs

13. Michael RObertson

6. Billy Gibson

9. Chris Killen

16. Sean O'Hanlon

17. Darren Sheridan

Lincoln City

20. Darren Horrigan

4. Ben Futcher

5. Paul Morgan ©

6. Ben Sedgemore

7. Paul Smith

8. Richard Butcher

15. Simon Weaver

21. Scott Willis

27. Gary Fletcher

30. Francis Green

37. Charlie Trout

Subs

31. Gareth Jones

3. Paul Mayo

9. Simon Yeo

10. Dene Cropper

26. Richard Liburd

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 1 Eyre pen (90+2) Lincoln City 0

Att: 3,623

Ref: Mr.M.Ryan

MOM: John Eyre

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Injury Time Penalty Puts Oldham Through

The Latics are through to the second round of the Carling Cup after an injury time penalty was converted by John Eyre. he game looked like it was going to extra-time but Oldham managed to escape more punishment, O'Hanlon, Gibson and Killen were rested for this game and Wicks, Cooksey and Shandran took their places in the team. Oldham were in attacking mood but the attack seemed ineffective and couldn't get shots on goal. After the break McAlister ordered them to attack more, they did but again it looked unlikely that Oldham would take the lead. Killen and Gibson were brought on to spark something, O'Halloran and Shandran gave way. As the game went on Lincoln came into it more and near the end maybe should have been a head, good goalkeeping by Pogliacomi kept the scores level. Deep into injury time Cooksey got the ball and ran into the box where he was tripped and the referee gave the penalty. Relief was all to see when Eyre tooked his penalty into the bottom corner, Lincoln players fell to the floor. Oldham are through but only just, a chance for a big pay day at a Premiership club is possible.

Manager's Comments: I'm glad we won this banana skin match. All our efforts didn't seem to produce much up front. On the balance of play we should have won and we did so I'm thankful for that. Great to see John (Eyre) tuck that one home. Just glad we have won this and we can concentrate on the next game. Lincoln did well to their credit, didn't make it easy for us.

Oldham are through to the second round of the Carling Cup and are awarded £20k for getting there.

Thursday 14th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH)

I arrive to bad news following the cup match, Dean Holden had gone into training this morning and he has injured his Neck too, he will be out for 2 weeks.

Four trialists leave the club today, Phil Salt, Howard Forinton, Bryan Small and Nicky Hill. Hopefully Phil Salt will be back as I've offered him a contract.

James Wills has been scouting Michael Houghton of Halesowen Town for the past few weeks and believes he will go on to become an excellent player.

Friday 15th August 2003 -Training First Team & Reserve Team (Agility AM, Set Pieces (defensive) LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH)

Five trialists leave the club today, atthew Ghent, Darren Bloor, Scott Jones, Duncan Spedding and Paul Dempsey. I ask that Ghent, Jones and Dempsey all come back for another month to see if they can get into my squad.

Italian side Ancona try to sign my keeper Les Pogliacomi for £28k I reject their offer, he's not for sale.

Mark Wilson's move to Stockport is cancelled as Stockport already have 4 players on loan at the club, he stays at Middlesbrough. Chesterfield defender Alan O'Hare will be out for 2 months after tearing his groin muscle in training, the Chesterfield fans are said to be questioning thier luck and hope they can still stay together. Brigton make another signing. Steve Evans of Brentford joins the club for a fee of £50k.

Ron Millward gives me two reports, one for the Under-19's which I pass onto Andy Ritchie. The other one is about Bristol City.

He says Danny Wilson likes to play a patient 4-4-2 formation. They are clear favourites for the game being at home and tipped to win the league. Their team is first-rate and that their attack is strong.

Their key players are Mickey Bell he left winger, captain Tommy Docherty and veteran midfielder Brian Tinnion.

In their last game they beat Crewe Alexandra in the Carling Cup 2-0 away. Their cause was helped with the sending off of Steve Jones, but Bristol fully deserved their victory, they are unbeaten in all competitions so far.

Oldham Squad (16 Players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Wicks, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Bookies Odds: Bristol City 4-5 Fav Draw 2-1 Oldham Win 3-1

Saturday 16th August 2003 - Training (Rest)

Early morning we set off to Bristol for the match, the Carling Cup 2nd Round draw is being drawn live on Soccer AM. Dean Holden phones me up to let me know who we've got.

DH: Hi the draw has been made Ian.

IM: Hi Pele, who have we got? Wouldn't mind a Premiership side away.

DH: Sorry to disappoint you but it's an away tie at Hull City.

IM: Ah balls, not what I wanted, tricky place to go but we can win there. When is the game?

DH: 23rd September at 19:45

IM: Ok, how's the neck? Improving?

DH: Yeah it is, ahould be training next week Simon said.

IM: Excellent I'll speak to you later.

Another 5 players officially leave the club today. Jonathan Perry, Jonathan Paul Mills, Ian Lawson, Des Lyttle and Tom Phillips all leave, but offer Perry, Mills and Lawson to come back for another month to prove themselves.

Under-19's Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Manchester City

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

Grange, Lever, Eardley, Winn ©, Mee, Hampson, J.Taylor, Jacobs, Barlow, Walker, Wolfenden

Subs: Treacey, Armstrong, Lomax, C.Taylor, Hall

Manchester City

M.Taylor, Skelton, Bermingham ©, Onuoha, Oswell, Whyte, Tandy, Murphy, D'Laryea, Wright-Phillips, Proffitt

Subs: Davis, Sharp, Webster, Stone, McDermott

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 0 Manchester City 2

Att: 138

MOM: Anthony Mee

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham Youth fought bravely against an excellent City youth team, they had a few chances to take the lead but a moment of madness from Eardley was himself sent off and possibly see him in further trouble after elbowing. Oldham's chance had gone and City pilled on the pressure in the second half and eventually won 2-0.

Sean Eardley got sent off in the match and is suspended for one game starting (16/08/03) after throwing out an elbow. He could face further sanctions as he has to attend a disciplinary commitree on (23/08/03) to decide whether to extend his ban. I decide along with Ritchie not to appeal against the ban. I'll give Sean a warning about his future conduct.

Nationwide League Division Two Match

Bristol City Vs. Oldham Athletic

Ashton Gate

Bristol City

1. Steve Phillips

3. Mickey Bell

4. Tommy DOcherty ©

6. Matt Hill

7. Luke Wilkshire

8. Joe Burnell

10. Lee Miller

11. Brian Tinnion

18. Christian Roberts

19. Danny Coles

25. Clayton Fortune

Subs

14. Mike Stowell

12. Aaron Brown

15. Robin Hulbert

22. Marvin Brown

27. Leroy Lita

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Poglaicomi

3. Michael Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

16. Sean O'Hanlon

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

13. Michael Robertson

17. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

20. Anthony Shandran

21. Danny Hall

Final Score: Bristol City 1 Miller (63) Oldham Athletic 2 Killen (11), Eyres (89)

Att: 8,897

Ref: Mr.P.Joslin

MOM: Matthew Wicks

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Eyresy Magic as Oldham Make It 2 Out Of 2

A famous victory today as Oldham beat the favourites for the title 2-1. Oldham started off brightly and fully deserved their lead, Vernon turned his man, got to the byline and crossed to an unmarked Killen to head home. Oldham continued to attack and cause City lots of problems and went into the half time break full of confidence. After the break Oldham sat back a little and tried to go on the counter attack, this was working until a mad moment from Pogliacomi, he came miles out of his box only to see Lee Miller get to it first and score a silly goal. Bristol had been let back into the game. After that it was all Bristol and it looked likely that they would go on to win but Pogliacomi and some stubborn defending kept the scores level. It was coming to the end of the game, Oldham won a freekick outside the box. David Eyres stepped up and curled a beauty into the net, Bristol looked stunned, Oldham went delierious. There was still a job to be done though as Bristol searched for the equaliser, Oldham were forced to defend and defend they did, Bristol nearly equalised with the last kick but Pogliacomi grabbed the ball and the 3 points. Oldham celebrated with their fans like they had won the FA Cup, Eyresy was the hero and the fans let him know about it. Oldham now lie in 6th, next up are 2nd place Chesterfield on wednesday.

Manager's Comments: I'm absolutely over the moon about this result, talk about fighting spirit, my team showed loads today. We attacked with purpose, and made it count. We were going along nicely until a mixup midway through the second half and we got punished, can't blame anyone much though as they played so well and any mistakes were quickly made up for. Then near the end you get a free kick near goal, you want Eyresy to take it, he was showing signs of tiredness and I was thinking of taking him off, I'm glad I didn't what a goal! The defending at the end was a little nervy and we nearly let them back in but we held out, a terrific performance.

After the game a scout from Bologna comes upto me, he says his club are prepared to offer £22k for Les Pogliacomi's services. I tell him that he is not for sale, he is too valuable to the club.

Brentford sign industrious midfielder Chris Holland from huddersfield Town for £12k.

Grimsby Town loan former Grimsby player John Oster for 3 months.

hi chatham_owl. so far ur story looks great and a lot of detail in it. Damon Robson is a great player and i strongly sdvise u to try and get him. he starred as my right sided midfielder making runs inside and scoring a dozen or more goals as i won promotion with Cambridge United.

Cheers Umney and LeytonOrient212 for the comments, keep on reading, I'm making it detailed so you can feel like you know what's going on at the club as I manage it more.

Sunday 17th August 2003 - Training (Rest)

Michael Sisson agrees to rejoin the club on a 4 week trial ending on (14/09/03).

Sean Eardley feels that my warning over his dismissal in his last match was harsh and is now unhappy at the club but would like to stay.

Matt Carbon leaves the club after his trial period expires.

Chesterfield loan Craig James of Sunderland to cover for Alan O'Hare's injury.

Archived