We'll All Just Like Singing The Blues! When Oldham Win and City Lose!

Chatham_Owl

Monday 18th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

I put some players on the transfer list and some players available for loan.

Transfer Listed:

Matty Appleby

John Sheridan

Danny Boshell

Loan Listed:

Michael Robertson

Danny Hall

Anthony Shandran

Anthony McStea

Marc Tierney

Danny Forde

Adam Griffin

Carlos Roca

Craig Fleming

Chris Grange

Charles Treacey

Paul Armstrong

Chris Lever

Kelvin Lomax

Ashley Winn

Sean Eardley

Anthony Mee

Jason Taylor

Kyle Jacobs

Matthew Barlow

Chris Hall

Matthew Wolfenden

Rob Walker

James Wills informs me of John Mead, a central defender from Northwich Victoria. He isn't much good though.

Both Ipswich Town and Bradford City try to take Mark Wilson on loan from Middlesbrough.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuesday 19th August 2003 - Training: First Team & Reserve Team (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

James Wills believes that young Kingstonian right-winger Liam Collins will develop into a decent player. He noted that he was impressed with how Liam handles the pressure of first team football.

Damon Robson rejects his final offer of a contract and he leaves the club today, I offer him another months trial contract.

UWIC Inter Cardiff offer Scott Jones a contract. Burton Albion and Boston United offer a contract to Jonathan Paul Mills.

Blackpool join in the race to loan Mark Wilson.

Ron Millward files his report on Chesterfield

Chesterfield manager Roy McFarland prefers his sides to play a patient 4-4-2 formation. He thinks their team is expectional and their attack is strong and quick.

Their star players are Steve Blatherwick, Mark Hudson and Chris Brandon. Lloyd Dyer and Alan O'Hare are out with injury and Stuart Howson will have a fitness test before tomorrows game.

In their last match they comprehensively beat title favourites Brighton & Hove Albion 4-0 with Brandon and Folan both scoring 2. They are unbeaten in all competitions so far this season, they score plenty and are dangerous from crosses but they have also conceided a fair few as well.

Oldham Squad (16 Players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Wicks, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Bookies Odds: Oldham Win 6-4 Draw 2-1 Chesterfield Win 13-8

Reserve Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Preston North End

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

Treacey, McStea, Lomax, Whelan, Tierney, Boshell, Griffin, Sisson, Forde, C.Taylor, Fleming

Subs: Grange, Armstrong, Cassidy, C.Hall, J.Sheridan

Preston North End

Lonergan, Armstrong, Elebert, Kempson, Cartwright ©, Carvill, Clampitt, Curwen, Brown, Langmead, Kitchen

Subs: Neal, Burgess, Robson, Barrett, Jackson

Final Socre: Oldham Athletic 1 Preston North End 0

Att: 293

MOM: Charles Treacey

Oldham Evening Chronicle: A hard fought victory was eventually won with a goal from Craig Fleming, it looked offside but the flag stayed down and Fleming finished excellently, Preston were a difficult side creating chances themselves but Treacey was superb in goal.

Wednesday 20th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

James Wills has spotted a young welsh striker by the name of Raith Plant, Raith looks a decent young striker so I ask him to be looked at further.

Two of the former trialists have come back for another month to try and impress me in the reserves. Leon Bell and Jonathan Perry will be here until (17/09/03) or longer if I decide to sign them.

Nationwide League Division Two Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Chesterfield

Boundary Park

19:30

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

21. Danny Hall

Subs

13. Michael Robertson

16. Sean O'Hanlon

17. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

20. Anthony Shandran

Chesterfield

1. Carl Muggleton

4. Kevin Dawson ©

10. Mark Hudson

11. Jonathan Walters

12. Gareth Davies

14. Chris Brandon

16. Caleb Folan

23. Ian Evatt

28. Paul Warhurst

40. Tamika Mkandawire

42. Craig James

Subs

17. Andy Richmond

2. Gus Uhlenbeek

5. Steve Blatherwick

25. Marvin Robinson

26. Adam Smith

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 1 Vernon (77) Chesterfield 1 Folan (35)

Att: 6,308

Ref: Mr.K.Hill

MOM: Michael Clegg

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Points Shared In Entertaining Draw

There was bad news at the start of the game as Sean O'Hanlon had taken a knock to his shin in training and could play the full game, he was dropped to the bench and Danny Hall took his place. Oldham earn a point tonight against a difficult Chesterfield side. Oldham came out full of confidence, passing the ball around with ease but it was Chesterfield that took the lead, Davies lost Wicks and ran clear of the defence, he squared it to Folan who couldn't miss. Chesterfield could have been further ahead as the first half went on but it stayed 1-0. Oldham changed formation and went to an attacking 3-4-1-2 formation with Eyre playing behind the strikers. Danny Hall who had a positive game at the back made way for Ernie Cooksey. This helped Oldham attack better but the strikers were too shy to shoot, clearly McAlister was annoyed by this, you could see his frustration on the touchline. Oldham got a freekick in the Chesterfield half, Clegg floated it in but no Oldham players attacked the cross, Hudson for Chesterfield made a mistake with his headed clearance, Killen crossed the loose ball low and in came Vernon to blast the ball home. Sheridan came on for Gibson who was carrying a knock, it was all Oldham now, with minutes to go an Eyres freekick was well saved. Shandran came on for Vernon and he made an immediate impact, raced clear down the left wing, he crossed and found Killen but his header was well saved again by Muggleton. Chesterfield nearly won it at the end, Folan beat Clegg and he crossed, the onrushing Davies just hit his volley over the bar. Oldham move up to 4th place the next game isn't too long away on saturday the first saturday home match against mid-table Swindon Town.

Manager's Comments: On the balance of play we deserved a point at least out of this, maybe more. Chesterfield came here with a plan, to get a goal and then defend and it nearly worked for them. I wasn't happy with the strikers today, too goal shy for my liking. They've been good this season though so hopefully this is only a temporary blip. I was very unhappy that Ian Evatt stayed on the field after his elbow on Vernon, he should have walked for that. We nearly won it in the end, Eyres came close to repeating his heroics. We've play 3 games now and got 7 points from 9 and are 4th in the league, if you told me that is where we would be now I'd take it.

Thursday 21st August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH)

Yeovil Town offer Jonathan Paul Mills a contract.

Another 3 players arrive back on a months trial. Paul Dempsey, Ian Lawson and Scott Jones will try and impress during this month, this is their last chance to impress. they are here until the (18/09/03).

Friday 22nd August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Agility AM, Set Pieces (defensive) LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH)

Matthew Ghent arrives on trial again for a month, to impress, his deal ends on the (19/09/03).

Ipswich Town win the race to sign Mark Wilson on loan and Brentford sign veteran striker Rod Wallace from GIllingham for £22k.

Ron Millward files his report on Swindon Town.

Andy King likes Swindon Town to play a direct 4-4-2 fomration. They have a first-rate team, not to be under-estimated. They have a potent threat with a pacey attack and creative midfield.

Their key players are Alan Reeves who is also the assistant manager, David Duke a wing back and ex Latics old boy Sam Parkin upfront.

They will be missing Sammy Igoe who has got a groin strain and Sebastien Ruster who is suspended, neither player has featured in the team so far though.

They have had a weeks rest for this game as they didn't play in midweek. Their last game was a 2-0 defeat to Luton Town. Brian Howard looks like a tricky player and isn't afrtaid to take on players, creative and Miglioranzi is a handful too. Defensively they look shaky and they don't deal with set pieces well or the ball over the top. Played well overall.

Oldham Squad (18 Players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Cassidy, Wicks, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Flmeing, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Bookies Odds: Oldham Win 5-4 Fav Draw 11-5 Swindon Win 7-4

Saturday 23rd August - Training Rest

Under 19's Match

Rotherham United Vs. Oldham Athletic

Millmoor

Rotherham United

Penney, James, Pritchard, Smyth, Clarke, Martin, Jones, Fletcher, Hoskins, Whittington, Clark

Subs: Whitehead, Carroll, Morton, Barnes, Gallagher

Oldham Athletic

Grange, Lever, Lomax, Winn, Mee, Hampson, Taylor, Barlow, Jacobs, Walker, Wolfenden

Subs: Treacey, Armstrong, Hall, Abbott, Taylor

Final Score: Rotherham United 1 Oldham Athletic 1

Att: 158

MOM: Matthew Wolfenden

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham youth got their first point of the season after a battling performance at Millmoor. Oldham had much of the first half creating plenty of chances but to no avail. After the break Rotherham came out the better and 10 minutes into the second half took the lead through a superb break from Whittington. It was all Roherham from then on until Rotherham defender Paul Clarke was adjudge to be pushing Matthew Wolfenden and he was shown his second yellow and off he went. Minutes later Wolfenden himself scored the equaliser near the end of the game.

During the youth team game Coventry City offer a deal to sign Dean Holden. They offer £1k plus Richard Shaw. I tell my name sake Gary Mac that the deal is unacceptable.

It was Sean Eardley's disciplinary hearing today after his sending off in his last game. I attend the the hearing with Sean to show my support.

FA: We have looked at all the evidence from the incident and also taken your character into consideration too but however we feel that what you did was totally unacceptable and we are banning you for a further 2 games starting now. He shall miss the Wigan Athletic and Preston North End youth games and won't play for over a month.

Oldham Athletic Vs. Swindon Town

Boundary Park

15:00

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

16. Sean O'Hanlon

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

13. Michael Robertson

6. Billy Gibson

20. Anthony Shandran

21. Danny Hall

22. Jamie Cassidy

Swindon Town

20. Rhys Evans

6. Andy Gurney ©

8. Tommy Mooney

9. Sam Parkin

10. Stefano Miglioranzi

11. David Duke

17. Brian Howard

19. Matt Heywood

22. Alan Reeves

25. Steve Robinson

42. Tony Craig

Subs

28. Steve Smith

3. Grant Smith

4. Matt Hewlett

14. Joanthan Stevenson

41. Stephen Kelly

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 1 Vernon (42) Swindon Town 2 Parkin (60), (65)

Att: 5,896

Ref: Mr.A.Penn

MOM: Matt O'Halloran

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Sloppy Oldham Surrender The Match

A 5 minute spell in the second half and some heroic goalkeeping from Swindon keeper Rhys Evans saw Oldham gift all 3 points to Swindon. The game was going Oldham's way and before half time Scott Vernon put Oldham ahead after O'Halloran and Killen's shots were well saved, third time lucky for Oldham. In the second half Oldham sat back again and a careless 5 minutes saw ex Oldham striker Sam Parkin score both goals. Dangerous Brian Howard supplied both balls upfield, Mooney teed up Parkin who score both attmepts, one where he beat the defence to slide the ball home and the other after O'Hanlon failed to clear Mooney's pass and Parkin finished superbly from 25 yards to leave Oldham stunned. Oldham changed formation and brought on Shandran and went to 4-3-3. Nothing could get past Evans though, Gibson replaced Cooksey near the end but to no avail. Oldham crashed to their first defeat of the season and are still winless at home. Oldham now drop out of the play-offs into 8th.

Manager's Comments: We just went to sleep for 5 minutes and it cost us the game, they played to long balls and we failed to deal with them. We were far on top and we should have finished them off. Credit to Swindon, they came and battled and caught us out. The defending was unacceptable and I'll be working on them in training this week, luckily I'll have a full week for the first time as we don't play midweek. Evans is a top goalkeeper and once Vernon got us ahead I thought we would go on to win.

Bristol City sign Stephen McPhee from Port Vale who I play next in the league. Port Vale receive £80k for the player.

Sunday 24th August 2003 - Training Rest

James Wills informs me that I should look at Horsham right-winger Martin Johansson. I don't believe the young is good enough however and I ask him to keep on searching.

Damon Robson and Jonathan Paul Mills both rejoin the club on a months trial. Their deals run out on the (21/09/03).

NEC sign Michael kuipers from Brighton & Hove Albion for £95k.

Monday 25th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

The only news of the day came from Notts County and Darren Caskey, he confronted his manager Billy Dearden at the training ground to demand why he hasn't been selected in the first team recently. I think it could be that he has a squeeky, girly voice and is a laughing stock who thinks he is a gifted footballer. icon_biggrin.gif

Tuesday 26th August 2003 - Training (Technique AM, Clsoing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Paul Caton comes into my office to tell me that Chris Taylor who is in our youth team has a Damaged Shoulder and will be out for 2 weeks.

Reserve Match

Rotherham United Vs. Oldham Athletic

Millmoor

Rotherham United

Waite, Mudd, Duncum, Barker, Branston, Newsham, Hurst, Bradford, Talbot, Robins, Warne

Subs: Montgomery, Jones, Barraclough, Bowler, Pritchard

Oldham Athletic

Ghent, Dempsey, D.Hall, Perry, Jones, Bell, Griffin, Sisson, D.Sheridan, Lawson, Fleming

Subs: Robertson, McStea, Forde, C.Hall, Shandran

Final Score: Rotherham United 2 Oldham Athletic 0

Att: 337

MOM: Michael Sisson

Oldham Evening Chronicle: The second string lost their first game of the season at Rotherham and Oldhamer Mark Robins sealed the Millers victory in the last minute. Paul Warne's goal gave Rotherham the lead. Oldham could only creat one chance in the half through Ian Lawson, Rotherham were on top. Oldham looked brighter in the second half creating plenty of chances but none were going in, eventually with the last kick of the game Rotherham secured the points with a Robins volley.

Former Welsh international striker Lee Jones is concerned at his lack of first-team opportunities at Wrexham he told local paper the Wrexham Evening Leader.

Wednesday 27th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

Rotherham United offer £26k for Dean Holden. I reject their offer.

Swindon Town loan Junior Lewis from Leicester City for 3 months.

Thursday 28th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH)

No News Today

Friday 29th August 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Agility AM, Set Pieces (defensive) LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH)

I receive an e-mail from the Scottish FA requesting that I make Will Haining available to play for Scotland U-21's for matches against Faroe Islands and Germany. I give him the all-clear to play in both games.

Ron Millward reports on Port Vale.

Brian Horton likes Port Vale to play a sweeper 5-3-2 formation. They have an exceptional team and they have a potent threat in their pacey attacking line and they have a combative and hard-working midfield.

Their key players are Neil brisco, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and Ian Armstrong. Michael Cummins, Steve Brooker and Billy Paynter are all out of the game tomorrow and goalkeeper Marc Goodlad should also be out, he has a broken finger.

In their last match they lost 3-1 away to Brighton & Hove Albion, their goal coming from Stephen McPhee who has now left. Port Vale are currently 23rd in the league.

Oldham Squad (19 Players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Holden, Cassidy, Wicks, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Fleming, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

AC Milan win the European Super Cup after beating Porto 2-1 in Monaco. A tricky match where Milan struggled to win and found themselves against a very organised and determined Porto. Jon Dahl Tomasson socred the winner near the end. Alessandro Nesta was sent off.

Charlie Mapes is out for 2 months with a torn groin muscle, which he suffered during training. Wycombe fans are in dismay over the injury fearing they won't see him in action for a long time.

Saturday 30th August 2003 - Training Rest

Port Vale Vs. Oldham Athletic

Vale Park

Port Vale

12. Dean Delany

2. George Pilkington

4. Andreas Lipa ©

6. Sam Collins

7. Neil Brisco

11. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson

15. Ian Armstrong

16. Steve Rowland

19. Simon Eldershaw

22. Ryan Brown

30. Mike Flynn

Subs

23. Joe Molloy

14. Mark Boyd

17. Chris Birchall

20. Adrian Littlejohn

21. Liam Burns

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

13. Michael Robertson

16. Sean O'Hanlon

17. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

28. Craig Fleming

Final Score: Port Vale 0 Oldham Athletic 2 Gibson (17) Killen (29)

Att: 5,655

Ref: Mr.D.Monk

MOM: Michael Clegg

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham Regain Form and Stay Unbeaten Away

An easy win for Oldham today against a low on confidence Port Vale. Oldham were in total control throughout the game, it was too easy. The first came from an O'Halloran corner and Gibson got his head to the ball first to socre his first ever goal for the club. A short time later Holden won the ball and booted it forward. Vernon turned his man superbly and sprinted into the box, he passed across to Killen who finished with ease. Oldham could have been 4 or 5 up at half time. A few players had been given knocks so O'Halloran and Vernon came off and Darren Sheridan and Craig Fleming came on. Port Vale looked livlier after the break but couldn't break down a stubobrn Oldham defence, Oldham cruised to victory, Holden was rested near the end, O'Hanlon came on. There was more chances for Oldham near the end but the scores stayed the same. Oldham have now won 3 out of 3 away from home and move upto 7th. Brentford on Wednesday are next

Manager's Comments: I'm delighted at today's resutl, it was a game we should win given our current form this season and we did. There wasn't a fault at all. We're lookig very promising at the moment but we still need to strengthen the squad further to maintain this good run. An another note I am delighted that Will Haining has been called up for the Scottish U-21's it shows the progress he has been making this season.

Sunday 31st August 2003 - Training Rest

Wimbledon went further into trouble today as the PFA stepped in and paid the Wimbledon players their monthly wages as Wimbledon failed to pay them.

The PFA however have place a transfer embargo on the club until they come up with the money that they paid the players.

It is the end of the month, tomorrow will see all the awards come out. The local paper will be naming their players of the month for Oldham. Also the monthly finances come out too. I have a meeting with the baord on my progress in the job as well.

Monday 1st September 2003 - Training Fist Team & Reserve Team (Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

James Wills recommends former Chesterfield left winger Ally Mitchell as a player to sign up, he currently has no club so signing would be easy, he is no good however. Why do my scouts keep finding duds?!

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Awards August 2003

Player of the Month: Michael Clegg

Young Player of the Month: Matt O'Halloran

Reserve Team Player of the Month: Adam Griffin

Youth Team Player of the Month: Charles Treacey

Manager of the Month

Division 1: Ray Lewington, Watford

Division 2: Ian Holloway, QPR

Division 3: Neil Thompson, Boston United

Conference: Mick Jones, Telford United

Player of the Month

Division 1: Wayne Thomas, Stoke City

Division 2: Jim Goodwin, Stockport County

Division 3: Lee Unsworth, Bury

Conference: Lee Mills, Telford United

Young Player of the Month

Division 1: Justin Cochrane, Crewe Alexandra

Division 2: Rhys Evans, Swindon Town

Division 3: Scott Brough, Boston United

Conference: Wayne Maden, Leigh RMI

The board also called me in to discuss my progress so far.

Barry Chaytow: Hi Ian, we've called you in to discuss the progress the club is making, we'll do this at the start of each month. You've made a good start so far this season and we are happy with this and hope you can continue this further into the season. We have noticed that supporters seem optimistic about the club at the moment and they are pelased with your running of the club. We are happy with the finances at the moment and are prepared to give you £25k to spend on transfers. However the wage bill is still too high, we want this to be cut to £21k a week, we will restrict wages until you can bring it below this level.

Neil Joy: Here are the finances for the last month.

OAFC Finances August 2003

INCOME Month Season

Gate Reciepts £176,683 £178,537

Season Tickets £215,488 £361,788

TV Revenue £0 £0

Merchandising £9,850 £18,573

Players Sold £83,167 £83,167

Prize Money £20,000 £20,000

Investments £0 £0

Interest £0 £0

Other £5,879 £11,954

Sponsorship £0 £0

£511,067 £674,019

Expenditure Month Season

Wages £121,028 £232,923

Bonuses £7,972 £7,972

Signing On Fees £5,468 £6,468

Dividends £0 £0

Players Bought £0 £0

Ground Maintainance £88,838 £126,138

League Fines £0 £0

Interest £75,363 £75,617

Tax £0 £0

Other £54,600 £86,730

£353,269 £535,848

Income £511,067 £674,019

Expenditure £353,269 £535,848

Profit/Loss £157,798 £138,171

Balance -£114,663

Wage Budget £21,000

Wage Total £24,373

Difference £3,373

Dff. Previous Month -£734

This month was encouraging in terms of finances, we made a gain and are close to getting back into the black again. The wage bill came down and you improved the squad by 7 players. That's good but lets see that wage bill fall even further please. We might struggle to break even this month as we won't have season ticket sales to fall back on. But things are looking encouraging and we are not in as much trouble as when you started.

IM: Well I've taken everything on board that you have said. I am in the process of cutting the wage bill, I have 3 players transfer listed so far which if sold would reduce the bill by £4,300 which will put me under the figure you have set. I am aiming to loan a lot of the fringe and youth players out too which will ease the bill too. I don't intend on buying any players at the moment. The squad is doing fine and the money could be needed at a later date. I don't have any problems to date, everything is going fine.

Tuesday 2nd September 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Ron Millward reports on Brentford.

Brentford have a first-rate side. Rod Wallace is a threat in their attacking line.

Their key players are Michael Dobson, Leo Roget and Steve Hunt. Hunt won't play though and neither will Anthony Rougier due to injury. They have brought in some loanees to bolster the squad. Michael Ingham (Sunderland, Jamie Gleeson (Southampton), Michael Foley-Sheridan (Liverpool), Jason Norville (Watford).

In their last game they managed a 1-1 draw against Brighton & Hove Albion, should have won it but the Brighton defence was strong, Brighton scored from their only chance and Jez Mitchell equalised near the end. Andrew Frampton was sent off in injury time. Brentford are currently 13th.

Oldham Squad (19 Players): Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Holden, Cassidy, Wicks, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Fleming, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Why the O'Halloran contract? 2006? That's a bit off - he's gone Chesterfield now as well! Hope you've beat Brentford, Macca, you're on a bad run - well a draw and a loss anyway. While on the subject of Chesterfield, anyone noticed Caleb Folan always scores?! He never even plays IRL, lol.

Thank you for all the feedback. O'Halloran was signed until 2006 because he had impressed me in pre-season and he accpeted a reduced wage.

All Oldham fans will know why I hate Pardew, it was a game between Oldham and Reading a few seasons ago where you won but achieved this by kicking our team off the pitch and then Pardew had the cheek to claim we were unsporting. He's not redeemed himself yet and I am loving at how well he is doing at West Ham. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Cleggy has been superb this season Zorro IRL and on my game. He's definately been the best of a bad bunch defensively.

Now to carry on...

Wednesday 3rd September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

Oldham Athletic Vs. Brentford

Boundary Park

19:30

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

13. Michael Robertson

16. Sean O'Hanlon

17. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

20. Anthony Shandran

Brentford

30. Michael Ingham

2. Michael Dobson ©

3. Matt Somner

5. Leo Roget

6. Jamie Gleeson

9. Kevin O'Connor

16. Lee Fieldwick

27. Michael Foley-Sheridan

32. Jason Norville

33. Rod Wallace

34. Jez Mitchell

Subs

13. Alan Julian

4. Jay Smith

11. Mark Peters

15. Danny Thomas

28. Dean Wells

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 0 Brentford 0

Att: 5,926

Ref: Mr.G.Laws

MOM: Matthew Wicks

Oldham Evening Chronicle: 2 Points Dropped For Faultering Latics

Oldham dominated this game and really should have won with ease but a mixture of a lack of decisive finishing and stubborn Brentford defending resulted in a goalless draw. Brentford from the start came out attacking trying to pinch an early goal, Foley-Sheridan on loan from Liverpool came close with his volley which went just over. Clegg also made a last minute clearance on the line from a superb corner. After that though Brentford went into defence mode and were never a threat in the game after that. Oldham were only allowed to take long shots in the first-half with many being way off target. Into the second half Oldham were in full control passing the ball around and really making Brentford work. Gibson and Eyre both went close to scoring early on, the front two weren't causing much of a threat though. John Eyre was brought off and Ernie Cooksey came on to freshen up the midfield. The game died out and changes needed to be made, Shandran came on for Gibson as Oldham went 4-3-3. In injury time David Eyres was forced off with injury and Darren Sheridan came on. Hopefully it's nothing serious. There was no more chances though and Oldham disappointingly drew. Oldham now have a break until their next game which is Sheffield Wednesday away. A huge game but one Oldham should try to win to keep their good form going.

Manager's Comments: We should have won tonight no question, we had the chances but we didn't take them again. We've not been doing so well at home, the players seem to be under more pressure. We've been fantastic away but still are winless at home. I am concerned at the lack of finishing at the moment. It was a good performance though and we are still in contention near the top. We have a little break now before the next game and we will be working hard on the training pitch, I'm also thinking of bringing in one or two players on loan to freshen up one or two positions.

Thursday 4th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH)

Good news after the Brentford match. David Eyres had only taken a slight knock and is ok to carry on training.

Chesterfield's Glynn Hurst joins Scunthorpe United on a 3 month loan.

Friday 5th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Agility AM, Set Pieces (defensive) LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH)

Brighton & Hove Albion sign Steve Robinson from Swindon Town for £16k.

Former Liverpool manager Roy Evans is appointed the new Swansea City manager,

Saturday 6th September 2003 - Training Rest

Under-19's Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Wigan Athletic

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

Grange, Lever, Eardley, Winn, Mee, Hampson, J.Taylor, Jacobs, Barlow, Walker, Wolfenden

Subs: Treacey, Armstrong, Lomax, C.Taylor, Hall

Wigan Athletic

Yeomans, Owens, Foulkes, Lynch, Edwards, Dixon, Thompson, Lee, Patterson, Roberts, Perry-Acton

Subs: Williams, Adams, Massey, Stevens, Ward

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 4 Wigan Athletic 2

Att: 153

MOM: Matthew Wolfenden

Oldham Evening Chronicle: The youth side put in an impressive performance against local rivals Wigan. Rob Walker put Oldham ahead early on, finishing well on the break. Wigan equalised from a penalty a little later through Perry-Acton. Just before half-time the lead was restored as Wolfenden latched onto a Hampson cross. In injury time Oldham made it 3-1 with Walker getting his second again supplied by Wolfenden. Wigan tried getting back into the game in the second half and with 13 minutes remaining pulled one back, an unstoppable 35 yard shot. But any chance of a comeback was quickly killed off with a superb solo effort from that man Wolfenden again, he dribbled past a static Wigan defence and beat the keeper from 25 yards out. Wigan tried to salvage something from the game but Oldham stood strong and came out victors of this local derby.

England were in action tonight as well, they faced FYR Macedonia and ended up easy 3-0 winners. Michael Owen got 2 and Ashley Cole also scored his first goal for his country.

England Team: Robinson, G.Neville, Cole, Campbell, Woodgate, Beckham, Hargreaves, Scholes, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney

Subs: Kirkland, Beattie, Jenas, Bridge, Vassell, Dyer, Upson

Turkey beat Liechtenstein 2-1 but it is England who look the most likely to qualify automatically.

Results from othe home nation Countries:

Scotland 0-0 Faroe Islands

Ukraine 3-1 Northern Ireland

Italy 2-1 Wales

EIRE 2-1 Russia

Mark Allott has joined Swansea City on loan for 3 months from Chesterfield. He hope to find his goalscoring boots which he lost after a promising start at Oldham.

Sunday 7th September 2003 - Training Rest

James Wills recommends young full-back Craig Lake to me. He is a free transfer after being released by Hartlepool United. He is no good though.

Wimbledon have been put into receivership by their administrators and all players are available at reasonable transfer prices. I ask my scouts to look at the squad and find out who I could sign out of the squad.

I have been looking through the transfer market today to try and sign a striker and a midfielder on loan. I decide to go for Calvin Zola Makongo of Newcastle United and Jamie Smith of Celtic for 3 month loan deals.

Premiership youngster Stewart Downing joins Peterborough United on loan for 3 months from Middlesbrough. QPR make a double loan move, West Bromwich Albion's Danny Dichio and Arsenal youngster Ryan Garry join for 3 months each. Luton Town sign Matt Hewlett from Swindon Town for £35k.

Monday 8th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

Celtic accept my offer to loan Jamie Smith for 3 months, it's now upto the player to decide.

Ex Oldham goalkeeper Paul Gerrard joins Blackpool on loan for 3 months.

Tuesday 9th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Newcastle United reject my approach to loan Calvin Zola Makongo so I ask for his services for a month only and see from there.

Reserve Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Sheffield Wednesday

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

Ghent, Dempsey, Jones, Perry, Dick, Robson, Sisson, Bell, Mills, Lawson, McStea

Subs: Treacey, Forde, Boshell, C.Hall, Taylor

Sheffield Wednesday

Pressman, Beswetherwick, Holt, Lee, D.Smith, Owusu, P.Smith, Mustoe, Taylor, Shaw, N'Dumbu-Nsungu

Subs: Tidman, Foster, Callaghan, Stevenson, Knowles

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Att: 316

MOM: Michael Sisson

Oldham Evening Chronicle: A draw was the fair result in an entertaining reserve match. Wednesday took the lead through Congolese striker N'Dumbu-Nsungu (rather spell it than say it) They controlled the first half and deserved the lead. The second period was far livelier though with chances for wither side, Oldham managed to equalised through the impressive Michael Sisson who struck a vicious shot into the top corner. Lawson nearly put Oldham ahead but veteran pieman Pressman somehow clung onto the ball. Late on Alex Dick was sent off for fouling the congolese striker and as he was last man he had to go. The game was still even and both sides had chances to win it but it stayed at 1-1. Both sides meet up in the League on saturday.

Wednesday 10th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

England were again in action tonight against Liechtenstein. Again England won 3-0, Kieron Dyer opened the scoring in the first minute and Michael Owen scoring two, one in each half. However the performance wasn't convincing and left fans and pundit unimpressed but happy over the result.

England Team: Robinson, G.Neville, Cole, Campbell, Woodgate, Beckham, Hargreaves, Dyer, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney

Subs: Kirkland, Bridge, Smith, Jenas, Upson, Beattie, Vassell

Results from other home nations:

Germany 1-1 Scotland

Northern Ireland 1-1 Lithuania

Wales 2-1 Finland

In other news Tranmere Rovers sign Eoin Jess for £28k from Nottingham Forest and Danny Wilson the manager of Bristol City warns other clubs trying to sign Kevin Amankwaah, he is highly rated and will do their best to keep him. Rotherham are interested.

Thursday 11th September - Training Outfield Players (Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH) Goalkeepers (Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH)

Paul Caton comes into my office to inform me promising youngster Danny Forde should be out for 3 weeks with a Calf Strain he picked up in training.

James Wills has finished scouting Youth Players he has found 17 players for me to look at.

Celtic's Jamie Smith lets me know he has no intention of joining us on loan and he stays at Celtic.

Kevin Amankwaah stated in the local press that he is flattered to be linked to Rotherham United and would be willing to consider an offer if it came his way.

Friday 12th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Agility AM, Set Pieces (defensive) LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH)

Sheffield Wednesday Report

Sheffield Wednesday play a 4-4-2 formation and their team is first-rate.

Their key players are Kevin Pressman the veteran goalkeeper. Alan Quinn the pacey winger and Shefki Kuqi. Leigh Bromby will be out with a twisted knee and Matthew Hamshaw will have a fitness test before the game. Everton youngster Stephen Schumacher has been brought in on loan.

Wednesday's last game was against Brighton & Hove Albion (hmmm I'm spotting a trend here) they drew 1-1

Saturday 13th September 2003 - Training Rest

Sheffield Wednesday Vs. Oldham Athletic

Hillsborough

Sheffield Wednesday

13. Chris Stringer

2. Derek Geary

3. Brian Barry-Murphy

7. Alan Quinn

15. Shefki Kuqi

19. Richard Wood

22. Robbie Mustoe

23. Terry Cooke

31. Adam Proudlock

41. Daniel Prodan ©

42. Stephen Schumacher

Subs

1. Kevin Pressman

5. Dean Smith

8. Paul McLaren

10. Lloyd Owusu

17. Richard Evans

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

13. Michael RObertson

16. Sean O'Hanlon

17. Darren Sheridan

19. Ernie Cooksey

20. Anthony Shandran

Final Score: Sheffield Wednesday 1 Kuqi (48) Oldham Athletic 0

Att: 15,450

Ref: Mr.I.Williamson

MOM: Leslie Pogliacomi

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Unbeaten Away Record is Over

Sheffield Wednesday ended Oldham's away record today. The score might suggest a tight game but really Wednesday could have won by a lot more. Oldham were limited to one or two chances, Killen was sent free but he couldn't finish one on one with the keeper. That was the only real chance of note. Wednesday created 19 chances to Oldham's 2. Pogliacomi was on top form today, he saved virtually everything that came his way. Just after the break Wednesday went ahead, Kuqi passed the ball to Quinn who ran down the line and played in Proudlock, he chipped it to Kuqi who headed it in. Wednesday were dominant, wouldn't let Oldham attack at all. It was a pityful showing by Oldham today, they just weren't in it at all. Next up is Luton Town next saturday. Oldham are now 10th. After the game a group of Wednesday "fans" started attacking Oldham fans as they went to their coaches, the South Yorkshire Police did **** all.

Manager's Comments: I'm very disappointed with the performance today, I knew it would be a hard game but to play the way we did was unacceptable. I've tried to bring in some loan players but nothing has come of it so far but I'll keep trying, our form has been waining of late, I still feel we can be there or thereabouts at the end. Pogs was fantastic today and gave us some hope for the travelling fans of which there was thousands, all I can do is apologise.

After the game I heard that Calvin Zola Makongo will not be coming to Boundary Park on loan.

Notts County loan Adam Gilchrist from West Bromwich Albion, Wimbledon player Alex Tapp agrees to join Gillingham on a free.

Sunday 14th September 2003 - Training Rest

Michael Sisson's trial has ended and he leaves the club. I won't decide any of the trialists futures until Tuesday. I would like Michael back permanently as he did impress.

Under-19's Match

Preston North End Vs. Oldham Athletic

Deepdale

Preston North End

Neal, K.Armstrong, Kempson, Jackson, Oldfield, Carvill, Brown, Clampitt, Curwen, Kitchen, Robinson

Subs: Lowe, Sparrow, Burgess, Robson, Barrett

Oldham Athletic

Grange, Lever, Eardley, Winn, Mee, Hampson, J.Taylor, Jacobs, Barlow, Walker, Wolfenden

Subs: Treacey, Lomax, C.Taylor, P.Armstrong, Hall

Final Score: Preston North End 2 Oldham Athletic 1

Att: 273

MOM: Jason Taylor

Oldham Evening Chronicle: The first half was a tame affair but Preston were the team looking likely to take the lead, against the run of play in the second half Oldham took the lead through Jason Taylor but this was quickly cancelled out by Robinson, minutes later he had scored again. Oldham enarly equalised in injury time through an own goal but it just went wide.

Monday 15th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-sdie (small pitch) PM) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

As Franchise FC are going into liquidation I am scouting their players to see if any are worth signing. The first player scouted is Nico Herzig, a 19 year old German, central defender, he looks alright, possibly a future signing. I keep him on to be scouted.

Colchester United loan Craig Westcarr from Nottingham Forest for 3 months.

Tuesday 16th September 2003 - Training (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

Today I make final decisions on the trialists:

Offer Contracts

Michael Sisson

Matthew Ghent

Jonathan Perry

Damon Robson

Not Wanted

Paul Dempsey

Scott Jones

Jonathan Paul Mills

Leon Bell

Ian Lawson

I offer Michael, Matthew, Jonathan and Damon contracts at the club, it's upto them to sign them or go elsewhere.

I also go in search for some players to sign on loan. I put in offers for Everton's Leon Osman and Nick Chadwick and to Portsmouth's Mark Burchill. Leon is an attacking midfielder and both Chadwick and Burchill are strikers.

The second player to be scouted from Franchise FC is James Deacons an 18 year old right back, he looks rubbish though, nothing really looks outstanding.

Stoke City enquire abotu how much I'd sell Dean Holden for. I let them know he's not for sale

Reserve Match

Bradford City Vs. Oldham Athletic

Odsal Stadium

Bradford City

Paston, Wright, Francis, Jacobs, McHugh, Edds, Keeham, Heckingbottom, Atherton, Humphreys, Clifford

Subs: O'Malley, Denton, Sanasy, Penford, Folkes

Oldham Athletic

Ghent, Dempsey, Tierney, Perry, Jones, Robson, Griffin, Bell, Mills, Lawson, McStea

Subs: Treacey, Dick, Boshell, Whelan, J.Sheridan

Final Score: Bradford City 4 Oldham Athletic 1

Att: 557

MOM: Damon Robson

Oldham Evening Chronicle: It started off well for the Latics as Damon Robson scored in the 4th minute, on 22 minutes the Bantams equalised through Sean Clifford and it ended 1-1 at half time. Ten minutes after it was 3-1 to Bradford, Humphreys with both goals, no way back for Oldham. Then Alex Dick who had just come got himself sent off for the second time in two games and a copule of mionutes later Bradford increased the scoreline to 4-1, Denton with the goal. A poor performance despite the good start. Dick better start behaving soon because his current behaviour is not what the club wants.

I decide to warn Alex Dick about his future conduct as regards to disciplinary, anymore red cards and he will be fined a weeks wage and possibly more.

Alex replies to this saying that it is unfair of me. That's upto him, but he has to sort it or he will be out.

Wednesday 17th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

Jonathan Perry and Leon Bell leave the club after their trials finish today.

Serge Makofo, a 17 year old striker from Wimbledon is the next player scouted, he looks very promising so I ask for him to be scouted further.

Michael Sisson agrees to join Oldham after an impressive trial, he signs until the end of June 2005 and earns £450 a week. He will go straight into the first team squad for the game on saturday.

Thursday 18th September 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH)

Scott Jones, Ian Lawson and Paul Dempsey leave the club after their trials end.

David Moyes of Everton rings me up and allows me to loan Leon Osman and Nick Chadwick but now I have to wait and see what the players say.

Mark E'Beyer is the next Wimbledon player to be scouted, he is an 18 year old right winger but his attributes are none too impressive and I will look no further on him.

Nottingham Forest's Chris Doig joins Grimsby Town on a 3 month loan.

Friday 19th August 2003 - Training Outfield Players (Agility AM, set pieces (defensive LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive) LUNCH)

Two more players are signed today:

Matthew Ghent signs until July 2005 and earns £475 a week.

Jonathan Perry signs until July 2006 for £750 a week.

Portsmouth agree to let me loan Mark Burchill, I await his decision.

Damon Robson rejects another contract, he wants more than I'm willing to pay him, I'll give it one more go, if he don't want it then he can go sign on.

Luton Town Report

Luton Town play a defensive 4-4-2 formation. They have a first rate team and they are a potent threat with their pacey attack.

Their key players are Ahmet Brkovic, Paul Hughes and Matthew Spring. Steve Robinson is doubtful for tomorrows game with a back problem.

In their last game they played Brighton and drew 1-1. Chris Iwelumo scored their goal.

Oldham Squad (20 Players): Ghent, Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Holden, Wicks, Haining, Hall, O'Hanlon, Perry, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Sisson, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Saturday 20th September 2003 - Training Rest

Before kick off I receive a double blow. Mark Burchill and Nick Chadwick both rejects my offer of loan deals, prefering to stay at their own clubs.

Oldham Athletic Vs. Luton Town

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

1. Les Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibaon

7. Matt O'Halloran

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

23. Michael Sisson

Subs

26. Matthew Ghent

8. John Eyre

15. Jonathan Perry

19. Ernie Cooksey

20. Anthony Shandran

Luton Town

35. Nathan Abbey

2. Danny Granville ©

3. Alan Neilson

4. Matthew Spring

6. Matt Hewlett

10. Chris Iwelumo

12. Chris Coyne

18. Ahmet Brkovic

19. Steve Howard

21. Paul Hughes

24. Sol Davis

Subs

47. Rob Beckwith

8. Kevin Nicholls

9. Dean Morgan

22. Dave Bayliss

23. Ian Hillier

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 1 Eyres 34 Luton Town 0

Att: 5,271

Ref: Mr.M.Jones

MOM: Matthew Wicks

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Uninspiring Oldham Snatch All Three Points

Oldham returned to winning ways today but can find themselves lucky of getting all three points, Luton put up a strong fight and perhaps if things went their way could have left with something. Oldham did start off brightly and did trouble Luton early on. David Eyres was the man to give Oldham the lead, his free-kick was struck to perfection. After that goal Luton began to play with more urgency and created one or two chances before half-time. Oldham looked comfortable. A tired looking Dean Holden was taken off at the break and New Zealander Jonathan Perry came on to make his debut. Oldham had the first chance in the second half, Abbey saved well from a Killen shot. After that Luton attacked with menace, Pogliacomi was on top form again. Iwelumo and Brkovic came very close to equalising. Oldham were holding out and McAlister replaced Eyres and Vernon knowing that they were playing in the Carling Cup midweek. Cooksey and Shandran both came on. They steadied the team down and they defending well until the final whistle. Oldham will need to improve their possession from today, maybe it was a blip as they are normally very good at this. The Latics move up 3 places to 7th on the fringes of a play-off place. Tuesday sees Oldham travel to Hull City of Division Three in the Carling Cup A chance of playing the big boys if they can get through this.

Manager's Comments: We did enough today to get the three points. It wasn't pretty but we managed to get a result and the first one at home for me as well made it even better. We attacked better today than in previous games but we lost possession too often and created ourselves lots of problems. I'm happy with the result and we are now in touch of a possible promotion spot, it's early days but I feel we can achieve it. I had a couple of blows in the transfer market but I have managed to sign one or two players and they are settling in well. Midweek we have the Carling Cup. i will treat this very seriously as we can earn some real money out of a good cup run and it will also be a bonus for the fans. I will be naming a strong team and I expect us to go through, it will be difficult at Hull though.

In other news Crewe centre back Richard Walker is concerned at his lack of first-team football and Morecambe goal hero against us Adriano Rigoglioso feels that Morecambe are underachieving and is frustrated. He feels if things don't improve he will seek to leave the club.

Monday 22nd September 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM) Youth Team (Shooting AM, Cross County LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM) Goalkeeping (Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM)

Today I introduce a new training regime for the youth team only. The main aim is to improve players skills quickly to get them ready for the step up. When the players don't have a game in the week the youth players will spend more time on the training pitch to compensate. I'll see how it goes.

I have success at last with former trialist Damon Robson. The 20 year old right midfielder has eventually agreed to sign a contract. He signs until the end of June 2006 for £800 a week. My most expensive signing in terms of wages so far. I feel he is worth it though.

I now have 48 players on the books and my wage bill has rocketted. I desperately need to sell some players and free up some of the wage bill or the board will be onto me.

Hull City Report

Hull City have a determined group of players. Their attack is strong and quick.

Hull are currently flying high, 3rd in Division 3. They have won 6 and drawn 2 not losing a game so far. They also have a 100% home record this season.

Thier last game resulted in Hull thumping Torquay United at home 4-0, Stuart Elliot with 2, Stuart Green and ex Manchester City player Leon Mike scoring the other two.

So far in this competition they beat Second Division Bournemouth 3-1 away.

Their key players are:

Alan Fettis a 32 year old ex-Northern Ireland International Goalkeeper earning 25 caps. He is a very decent keeper for this level, good handling and a good communicator. He come back to the club he started at as a rookie, he previous spells at West Bromwich Albion, Nottingham Forest, Blackburn Rovers, York City and Leicester City.

John Anderson a 30 year old scottish player, can play either defence or midfield. He is strong in the air, a no nonsense players but also has the qualities to play it out of defence with confidence. He previously had spells north of the border at Greenock Morton and Livingston.

Stuart Elliot a 25 year old Northern Ireland International striker, playing 16 times for his country and scoring 1. He is most dangerous from crosses as his heading ability is superb, he is also a competant finisher. He has played 9 times scoring 4 but setting up 7 goals too. Glentoran and Motherwell have been his former clubs.

Hull have signed 4 players this season:

Scott Mean, Bobby Ford, Leon Mike and Matthew Cass, all on free transfers

The only players going out have been on loan:

Richie Appleby (Leigh RMI), Ian Ashbee (Scarborough), Andy Holt (Telford United)

Oldham Squad (21 Players): Ghent, Pogliacomi, Robertson, Clegg, Holden, Wicks, Hall, Haining, O'Hanlon, Perry, D.Sheridan, Gibson, Robson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Sisson, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

The only addition is of new signing Damon Robson who is likely to get a spot on the bench. McAlister has been quoted to be fielding a strong side.

Bookies Odds: Hull Win 6-4 Fav Draw 2-1 Oldham Win 13-8

Tranmere Rovers loan Jason Bowen from Cardiff City for 3 months.

Tuesday 23rd September 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Youths (Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM) Goalkeeping (Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM)

In the morning Rotherham United get in touch with me. They put in an offer of £26k for Dean Holden. I reject it straight away as I'm not looking to sell Dean. I would expect a much bigger offer to sell him.

James Wills scouts another Wimbledon player by the name of Shola Oyedele . James doesn't rate him and I think the same. He'll never make it into professional football.

Carling Cup 2nd Round Match

Hull City Vs. Oldham Athletic

The Circle

19:45

Hull City

1. Alan Fettis

2. Alton Thelwell

7. Stuart Elliot

8. Jamie Forrester

14. Stuart Green

15. Justin Whittle ©

16. Damien Delaney

18. Jason Price

28. Richard Hinds

42. Leon Mike

43. Bobby Ford

Subs

12. Paul Musselwhite

5. John Anderson

9. Ben Burgess

29. Ryan France

41. Scott Mean

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

20. Anthony Shandran

23. Michael Sisson

Subs

26. Matthew Ghent

8. John Eyre

15. Jonathan Perry

18. Scott Vernon

24. Damon Robson

Final Score: Hull City 2 Burgess (84), France (90+2) Oldham Athletic 2 Eyres pen(42), Killen (65) Oldham Win 4-2 on penalties

Att: 21,835

Mr.M.Clattenburg

MOM: Leslie Pogliacomi

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham Through Via Penalty Shoot-Out

The Latics were nearly embarassed and put out of the cup by Third Division Hull City. Hull were clearly up for this game from the start. They attacked very well in the opening half hour but couldn't find the killer pass in the end. Oldham were being ripped apart but luckily the defence were playing well. Against the run of play Oldham were awarded a penalty, Dean Holden was pulled down and Mr.Clattenburg gave it. Eyres stepped up and placed in the top, right corner, Fettis no chance. At half-time the influential David Eyres was replaced by John Eyre, Eyresy had suffered a knock and was struggling but he had made a telling impact on this game. Hull started the second half well also coming close on a few occasions. Oldham weren't doing well in attack any ball played to them was being easily cleared. Perry replaced Sisson and put behind the strikers to use his superb heading and control. Within minutes it worked, Gibson played a superb ball to Eyre he raced clear down the left, turned inside and crossed to Killen who couldn't miss. Game over? Come on this is Oldham. Hull started attacking fiercer than before and ex-Latics striker Burgess had his shot well saved by Pogliacomi. With minutes remaining, Burgess who failed to score for Oldham managed to squeeze a shot in past the Oldham keeper. Robson came on for his debut and replaced Killen. Oldham went to a more defensive formation but one ready to pounce when possession came their way. Injury time France got clear of the defence, rounded Pogliacomi and goal, extra time. The next 30 minutes saw the Tigers really go for the victory, Oldham had fallen to pieces and looked eager to send this into penalties and by the skin of their teeth managed it. Into penalties and Oldham went first. The first 5 penalties were scored (Eyre Oldham, Mike Hull, Haining Oldham, Green Hull, O'Halloran Oldham) then came the first miss, Pogliacomi saved well from Bobby Ford's attempt to send the Oldham fans exstatic. Holden scored his penalty meaning Hull had to score to stay in the competition, none other than Ben Burgess stepped up, he struck it to the right, where Pogliacomi had gone and he saved. Oldham are through to Round Three. After being 2-0 up Oldham shouldn't be happy with the way it got to penalties but thankful for grinding out the result in the end.

Manager's Comments: First of all I'm glad we are through, Hull are a very good side and they really tested us tonight. They were on top for most of the game but we managed to take our chances and go 2 up. After that I expected us to kill the game of, we didn't and to concede in injury time was a real blow. We really needed to finish the game at 90 minutes. We have got Blackpool in the league and some might miss out due to a lack of fitness, I hope that isn't the case. I'm pleased with the win and hopefully our reward will be a big tie in the next round.

Oldham receive £20,000 for beating Hull City in the Carling Cup 2nd Round.

In other news Swindon's Sammy Igoe wil lbe out for at least 2 months with a torn groin.

Wednesday 24th September 2003 - Training First Team & Reserve Team (Shooting AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Youths (Sprints AM, Shadow Play LUNCH) Goalkeeping (Crosses AM, Pig in the Middle LUNCH)

I put Darren Sheridan on the transfer list today. I don't want a fee. I feel that he isn't needed in the first team and his wages are too high and needs to be offloaded.

Thursday 25th September 2003

First Team & Reserve TeamFirst Team & Reserve Team: Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH

Youths: Tactical Training AM, Training Match LUNCH

Goalkeeping: Agility (GK) AM, Training Match LUNCH, Shot Stopping PM

Young midfielder Matthew Hampson will be out for 2 weeks after damaging his foot in training today.

Friday 26th September 2003

First Team & Reserve Team: Agility AM, Set pieces (defensive) LUNCH

Youths: Technique AM, Set pieces (defensive)

Goalkeeping: Pig in the Middle AM, Overloading (defensive)

This afternoon saw the draw for the Third Round of the Carling Cup. Here is the draw for the last-32:

Blackburn Rovers Vs. Birmingham City

Sheffield Wednesday Vs. QPR

Newcastle United Vs. Oldham Athletic

Charlton Athletic Vs. Liverpool

Arsenal Vs. Notts County

Leeds United Vs. Manchester United

Brentford Vs. Rushden & Diamonds

Colchester United Vs. Stoke City

Chelsea Vs. Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur Vs. Rotherham United

Sunderland Vs. Burnley

Wolverhampton Wanderers Vs. West Bromwich Albion

Manchester City Vs. Southampton

Huddersfield Town Vs. Aston Villa

Doncaster Rovers Vs. Nottingham Forest

Cambridge United Vs. Preston North End

The Oldham fans, board and players are delighted with the draw. Oldham will travel to Premiership Newcastle United on the 29th October 2003. Not only will it be a big night out for the town of Oldham but a guaranteed payout, win or lose.

Blackpool Report

Blackpool prefer to play a patient 4-4-2 formation. They have a determined side and their attack is strong and quick.

Blackpool are currently 3rd in Division Two and have won 5, drawn 1 and lost 2. They have lost their last two games to Plymouth in the league and Birmingham in the league cup. The game was taken into extra-time though which will help us.

Their key players are:

Richard Wellens, the former Manchester United trainee. he is now a 24 year old central midfielder. A good strong passer of the ball, good at dribbling and is fairly creative.

Martin Bullock a 28 year old right winger. Always a threat, one of the best wingers in this division. Very good off the ball, he is also influential and a good passer, he can dribble with ease and his crosses can be deadly. Previous clubs Barnsley.

John Murphy is a 26 year old striker his finishing is good but he excels best in heading. He is very strong too, won't be pushed about when on the ball. Previous clubs include Chester City.

Blackpool have signed 2 players:

Adam Hardy (Dangerous Aces) £12k

Kevin Davies (Swansea City) £9k

and loaned:

Paul Gerrard (Everton)

The only player gone on loan from Blackpool is:

Jamie Burns (Barnet)

Oldham Squad (18 Players): Ghent, Pogliacomi, Clegg, Holden, Wicks, Haining, O'Hanlon, Perry, Gibson, Robson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Sisson, Killen, Vernon, Shandran

Bookies Odds: Oldham Win 7-4 Draw 11-5 Blackpool Win 5-4 Fav

Saturday 27th September 2003

All Players Rest

Under-19's Match

Everton Vs. Oldham Athletic

Haig Avenue

Everton

Gallagher, Potter, Flood, Barry, Gerrard, J.Jones, Martland, Booth, Brown, Lynch, Hopkins

Subs: Cole,Watson, M.Jones, Thorbinson, Fox

Oldham Athletic

Grange, Lever, Eardley, Winn, Lomax, Hall, J.Taylor, Jacobs, Barlow, Walker, Wolfenden

Subs: Treacey, Armstrong, Abbott, Mee, C.Taylor

Final Score: Everton 0 Oldham Athletic 1

Att: 785

MOM: Ashley Winn

Oldham Evening Chronicle: What a result?! The team who has had many promising youth players come through it ranks such as Rooney and Jeffers were beaten by Oldham. The first half was barren of chances apart from one, Booth for Everton beat everything but the post. The game became more stretched in the second half, any side could have won it. Barlow had a goal disallowed for offside. Near the end Oldham won it, Ashley Winn with a deflected volley. Oldham carried on in search of securing the lead but it didn't matter Oldham had done enough and move upto 8th in the league.

Walsall make an offer to loan Mark Burchill who rejected Oldham.

Oldham Athletic Vs. Blackpool

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

1. Leslie Pogliacomi

2. Dean Holden

3. Matthew Wicks

4. Will Haining ©

6. Billy Gibson

7. Matt O'Halloran

8. John Eyre

9. Chris Killen

11. David Eyres

14. Michael Clegg

18. Scott Vernon

Subs

26. Matthew Ghent

15. Jonathan Perry

19. Ernie Cooksey

23. Michael Sisson

24. Damon Robson

Blackpool

38. Paul Gerrard

5. Chris Clarke

6. Mike Flynn

9. John Murphy

11. Martin Bullock

12. Danny Coid

14. Leam Richardson

15. Kirk Hilton

16. Richard Walker

34. Jonathan Douglas

36. Adam Hardy

Subs

13. Lee Jones

2. Simon Grayson

10. Scott Taylor

17. Matthew Blinkhorn

35. Neil Danns

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 3 Killen (41), Vernon (58), (64) Blackpool 0

Att: 7,685

Ref: Mr.G.Laws

MOM: Chris Killen

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Seasiders Crushed By Fearsome Latics

Oldham climb into 5th and a play-off spot after todays demolishion of Blackpool. It was the visitors who were favourites but they looked out of sorts and easily beaten by a rampant Oldham. The early stages were even, no real chances to speak of. Oldham came into the game more. David Eyres who received a load of abuse from the Blackpool fans came close to scoring, his free-kicks have been superb this season and today he hit the inside of the post from 40 yards out. This spurred on Oldham and eventually found a way past the Blackpool defence, O'Halloran played a cheeky ball over Chris Clarke, Killen took the ball down, controlled and blasted the ball past Gerrard. At half-time there was a bit of bother on the pitch as the two mascots Chaddy the Owl and Bloomfield Bear were involved in a minor scuffle and the Bear's boots were thrown into the crowd. Only one came back. More on this story later. O'Halloran was taken off and Robson came on for the second half. Oldham decided to try and increase the lead instead of defending what they had in previous games. Early on John Eyre was forced off and Ernie Cooksey took his place. Killen went close shortly after. Vernon then made it 2-0, Robson a superb ball to Killen, it was two against one in favour of Oldham, he ran to goal, laid it off to Vernon who couldn't miss. Minutes later Oldham were running riot, Gibson sent a long ball to the left which Eyres just got to and crossed to Vernon, he controlled well and sent a stinging shot past Gerrard. Oldham were showing a masterclass in football today. Vernon was taken off late on because he was knackered, Sisson replaced him. Just before the end Blackpool's day worsened further. Chris Clarke who had a stinker of a game fouled Eyres as he was clear on goal, he was immediately sent off but only as a second yellow. Oldham cruised to victory. Wrexham away is next.

Mascot Fight

Blackpool are said to be insensed at the treatment of Bloomfield Bear by Oldham mascot Chaddy the Owl. Chaddy and Bloomfield were seen have a scuffle at half-time. A boot has been stolen by the crowd. Blackpool are threatening to take Chaddy to court for Theft and Assault. Apparently the person inside the bear received bruised ribs and was very shaken. All I can say is how does someone get bruised ribs from a play fight in a padded suit? The bear claimed it was totally unprovoked. Chaddy answered this by claiming that the bear had been attacking him before the game and ripped his suit and that other mascots have told him that the bear attacks them for no reason. Chaddy is also quoted as saying. Bring the court proceedings on, there is no case to answer. Chaddy is banned from Bloomfield Road. Nothing like sore losers eh?

Manager's Comments: Today we played superbly, the best performance yet. We were totally committed and our play was what I want to see. The defence was solid, the midfield were passing it around with ease and very creative and the attack finished with style. We beat a very good Blackpool side today. Things are looking very promising.

Simon Pope: John Eyre only has a bruised head and he will be fit again tomorrow. David Eyres looked a little tired after the game today, I suggest you rest him for the next game to get him back to his best.

Barry Chaytow: I am so delighted that we convincingly won today against local side and rivals Blackpool. I am very pleased with how we are doing this season, so far it's better than expected. On the mascot matter I feel Blackpool are trying to find anything to alter the headlines of their humiliating defeat.

Watford sign Lloyd Owusu from Sheffield Wednesday for £90k.

Sunday 28th September 2003

All Players Rest

No news today.

Monday 29th September 2003

First Team & Reserve Team: Pig in the Middle AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM

Youths: Shooting AM, Cross Country LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM

Goalkeeping: Handling AM, Crosses LUNCH, 5 a-side (small pitch) PM

No news today

Tuesday 30th September 2003

First Team & Reserve Team: Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM

Youths: Technique AM, Closing-Down Session LUNCH, Weight Training PM

Goalkeeping: Technique AM, Distribution LUNCH, Weight Training PM

Reserve Match

Oldham Athletic Vs. Tranmere Rovers

Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic

Robertson, McStea, Lomax, D.Hall, Whelan, Griffin, Cassidy, Boshell, D.Sheridan, Fleming, J.Sheridan

Subs: Treacey, Tierney, Armstrong, C.Hall, Taylor

Tranmere Rovers

Sanna, Savage, Climo, Nicholson, Rooney, Griffiths, McGuire, Brown, Jennings, Russell, Dadi

Subs: Parkin, Duffy, Walton, Hooper, Griffin

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 2 Tranmere Rovers 3

Att: 279

MOM: Craig Fleming

Oldham Evening Chronicle: Oldham took the lead early on through an impressive Craig Fleming.The lead was doubled later when Adam Griffin leaped above Climo and his header went past the Tranmere goalkeeper. Tranmere pulled one back before half time, Eugene Dadi getting the goal. Earely on in the second half Dadi equalised for Tranmere and they looked the more likely to go on and win, eventually they got the goal to make it 3-2, Russell doing the damage. Oldham tried their best to salvage something but they couldn't, Tranmere went onto win.

Wrexham Report

Wrexham manager Denis Smith likes to play a 3-5-2 formation. They are a determined team and have a pacey attack and a creative midfield.

Wrexham currently lie 19th in the division. Winning 3, drawing 1 and losing 5. In their last game they hammered Hartlepool United 6-0, Hector Sam scoring 5 and Lawrence getting the other.

Their key players are:

Dennis Lawrence, a 29 year old Trinidad & Tobago International centre-back. A very solid defender but has been struggling this season to find form, hard to beat in the air with his pace, strength and heading ability.

Carlos Edwards who also plays for Trinidad & Tobago, he is a 27 year old right winger. He is pacey and tricky, very good at stretching defences. Previous club was Defence Force.

Wrexham have sign 2 players:

John Neal and Tim Greensill on free transfers.

and brought in 3 players on loan:

Jermaine Palmer (Stoke City)

Paul Keegan (Leeds United)

Chris O'Grady (Leicester City)

No players have left the club.

They have no injury worries either and are at full strength.

Oldham Squad (18 Players): Ghent, Pogliacomi, Clegg, Holden, Wicks, Haining, O'Hanlon, Perry, Gibson, Robson, Cooksey, Eyre, O'Halloran, Eyres, Sisson, Killen, Shandran, Vernon

Bookies Odds: Wrexham Win 7-2 Draw 9-4 Oldham Win 4-6

Archived