Why does SI release an incomplete product?

players running away from ball

standing still with ball at feet for sometimes 1min+

long shots

ball hits post and bar too often

corner cheat (still after last year FFS)

injuries (still too many after DEMO)

Seria B crash

fa cup draws regionalised (eg UTD V CITY every year)

champions league draw

press conferences (get asked the same question 5 times in a row

rivals playing same day (sheffield and old firm etc etc)

Further to that -

-The game freeze BUG.

-The players appearing twice in tactics screen.

-Players not always appearing in the ME (sometimes look like smarties).

-The message box staying on-screen in ME.

-How you often have to click everything twice for the game to register it.

-5 or so magical 20 yard back-heels in the ME per game.

All valid IMO.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

long shots

Seria B crash

champions league draw

press conferences (get asked the same question 5 times in a row

Freezing

Black 3d Pitch

Condition of players with forward runs

13 players being displayed on the tactics overview

Game slows down during match day and becomes unresponsive (2nd year in a row)

3d player models don't always load properly

Goalkeeper assists

And so on.

Do you have the results in FM09 to back that up? ;):D

My greatest result was winning the Premier League with York in FM07.

And I have just started long term game in FM09.

But I have results from real life as I am project manager :)

lol

Never experienced that

never experienced that

long shots

Yes, a bug

Yes a bug

A match engine exploit is hardly a bug, the AI doesn't use it against you

Load of rubbish, my injury rate is fine

Seria B crash

Serie C you mean, yes this is an unacceptable bug

Not something I've noticed

champions league draw

What's wrong with it?

press conferences (get asked the same question 5 times in a row)

Never experienced it

Never experienced it and isn't something instantly noticible

Further to that -

-The game freeze BUG.

-The players appearing twice in tactics screen.

-Players not always appearing in the ME (sometimes look like smarties).

-The message box staying on-screen in ME.

-How you often have to click everything twice for the game to register it.

- Players doing magical 20 yard back-heels in the ME.

All valid IMO.

Freezing

Black 3d Pitch

Goalkeeper assists

And so on.

i knew there was more keep em coming

Freezing

PC Related

Black 3d Pitch

PC Related

Are fine since the patch

A slight graphical glitch

PC Related

Never experienced this

Goalkeeper assists

Yes a bug

I've personally not seen many of the issues below, I'll go through them anyway. When I say below that I've never seen this I don't mean it doesn't happen, I just find it very hard to believe that if it was a serious 'bug' then it wouldn't happen to a lot of people.

players running away from ball - When? I've never seen this.

standing still with ball at feet for sometimes 1min+ - Again I can honestly say that I've never seen this. Is it not just the match engine jerking?

long shots - This is one of the things I don't think can be described as a bug. Some people may think there are too many long shots, others won't. This is at best a part of the game that may need tweaking which is in no way the same as a bug.

ball hits post and bar too often - This one I agree with.

corner cheat (still after last year FFS) - Absolutely not and I've done extensive testing on this. I even invited someone to list their corner settings so that I could try them and over the season Micah Richards scored only 4 goals.

injuries (still too many after DEMO) - I disagree. I've seen very few people still complaining about too many injuries since the first patch.

Seria C crash - Agreed, genuine bug.

fa cup draws regionalised (eg UTD V CITY every year) - I've not seen this but haven't looked at it in detail so cannot comment.

champions league draw - What about it?

press conferences (get asked the same question 5 times in a row - This is not a bug, many people would like more variation from the media interaction so that it's not repetative but that's not a bug in the game, just an area of the game that can be improved.

rivals playing same day (sheffield and old firm etc etc) - Again I've not looked at this so I'm sure you're correct. However, this is very minor.

Out of the 10 things you've listed I think 2 can be classed as genuine bugs that are serious enough to be annoyed about, the Seria C one and the fact that the ball hits the post too often.

The rest are either not bugs or far too minor to even threaten delaying the release.

They don't happen on my machine.

Then you're lucky - but they're already admitted problems by SI so just claiming "i don't notice therefore it doesn't exist" doesn't hold any water. This is the part where you accuse all of the people having these issues of not being able to look after their machines properly.

Sorry - long shots not a bug? Can't be serious, surely. There are far too many, and add to that, there are far too many long range goals being scored by players who have a very low long shots stat.

Don't agree with your summaries at all - all of the items you listed as "pc related" are issues with the game, not the users pc, as they even happen on brand new, out of the box machines with good specs and fully updated drivers.

Why do they not happen on my 4 year old PC then?

Neither on mine... the game worked fine on mine and i dont have a state of the art machine... so it is pc related...

Only thing im concerned about are the bugs... and those will hopefully be solved in the next patch on december 18th...after that ill come again with a verdict

Why do they not happen on my 4 year old PC then?

because they are bugs caused by poor coding, from what I can gleam from SI's responses - they effect machines running Vista and newer multi-core processors.

and ffs they are bugs! They have been admitted by SI! This just goes to show how blinkered some of you are here, it makes it hard to have a decent debate.

Then you're lucky - but they're already admitted problems by SI so just claiming "i don't notice therefore it doesn't exist" doesn't hold any water. This is the part where you accuse all of the people having these issues of not being able to look after their machines properly.

If they don't appear on my machine (or several other people I know) then it's perfectly feasible that they didn't appear on the test machines used in house.

Sorry - long shots not a bug? Can't be serious, surely. There are far too many, and add to that, there are far too many long range goals being scored by players who have a very low long shots stat.

It's your tactics :)

man come on some of these bugs are major if the game was tested properly they would surely seen these they are blatantly obvious to see

Two of them are major, TWO! and they have apologised for them slipping under the net and have agreed that they are unacceptable.

If they don't appear on my machine (or several other people I know) then it's perfectly feasible that they didn't appear on the test machines used in house.

It's your tactics :)

Two of them are major, TWO! and they have apologised for them slipping under the net and have agreed that they are unacceptable.

ffs.

Tell me where the tactical option "enable John Terry to score from 40 yards repeatedly" is please.

because they are bugs caused by poor coding, from what I can gleam from SI's responses - they effect machines running Vista and newer multi-core processors.

and ffs they are bugs! They have been admitted by SI! This just goes to show how blinkered some of you are here, it makes it hard to have a decent debate.

The technical issues I've not said aren't bugs, they are, I'm trying to explain why they might have been missed/not fixed by launch.

corner cheat (still after last year FFS) - Absolutely not and I've done extensive testing on this. I even invited someone to list their corner settings so that I could try them and over the season Micah Richards scored only 4 goals.

big centre half challenge GK works for me, Mosquera had 12 by november odd/unrealistic dont you think

Keep your hair on, I'm asking a genuine question.

I'm far from blinkered when it comes to flaws with the game, what I don't believe is that there are any bugs that should have caused the release of the game to be delayed.

The technical issues I've not said aren't bugs, they are, I'm trying to explain why they might have been missed/not fixed by launch.

Which comes to the debate about what machines SI have to test in house. I'll take the freezing bug as an example.

It occurs on - Macs meeting the required and recommended specs.

Dual/Quad core AMD machines (incl the most popular models)

Dual/Quad core intel machines (incl the most popular models)

Running Vista.

Ati and Nvidia based graphics cards.

Onboard (Realtek) and Soundblaster sound cards.

Now tell me just exactly how, outside of SI only having about 6 different configurations to test the game on, they did not notice it?

The worst thing is that it happened on people with new macs of all specs. Of which there are only a very limited number of configurations.

I bought my Acer laptop for 2300 Qatari Riyals (220 quid) over a year ago. Its a VERY basic machine

I havent updated anything

FM09 works fine, a bit slow but doesnt bother me. No crashes or freezes

Now, that could be an argument FOR 'Its a problem with the game' and AGAINST.

If it works on my pitiful machine, it should surley work on a top spec PC. On the other hand, i have very minimum other programs installed. I have Norton, Skype and thats about it. I dont think there is a pattern of non-working games that the 'powers that be' can single out as 'The problem'

Could be a external program, could be a certain brand of video card

No it doesn't!

Because my PC and my friends fall under the categories you've listed and have not experienced the bugs you mention...

Well everyone I know that has the game and is running it on vista encounters the random freezing issue. That's not a valid proof or debunk.

You just have to take a look at the "Fm Freezes - not responding thread" there are 5 pages there of hardware specs that encounter the problem.

Nearly all are running Vista and nearly all have multi-cored processors.

If I have a recent PC that the bugs don't appear on, it stands to reason there are other recent PCs that it doesn't appear on - ergo it's possible that the recent PCs that SI used to test the game in house didn't not show these errors.

Again, I'm not saying the bug doesn't exist, I'm saying it's POSSIBLE that it was missed. Without internal knowledge of the testing proces that SI use, it's harsh to blame the testing team.

I gues developers are ever faced with a dilemma... A dilemma which depends on the deadline that is set.

Let's suppose, as some already claim, that deadline nears and you have a half-finished game.

You can either postpone the release, and get stick because of that, or you can publish the game as is, and bring out a patch dealing with as many bugs as possible to make the game as playable as possible, before trying to perfect the game with a second patch (and subsequent patches). You will get stick for releasing an incomplete game, with testers not capable of doing their job, developers ignoring customers' demands, people thinking that it should be simple to release a new version, as the game is just similar to last year's version, etc.

So, whatever a developer does, (s)he gets showered with love from some of us users. What would YOU do?

I've personally not seen many of the issues below, I'll go through them anyway. When I say below that I've never seen this I don't mean it doesn't happen, I just find it very hard to believe that if it was a serious 'bug' then it wouldn't happen to a lot of people.

I have, several times.. :( Even funnier, my GK one on one with a striker, then slide to the striker, the ball looses, and he back tracked to the goal, PASS THROUGH the ball and let the opposing striker take it and shoot. Goal :thdn:

standing still with ball at feet for sometimes 1min+ - Again I can honestly say that I've never seen this. Is it not just the match engine jerking?

I have, several times!

long shots - This is one of the things I don't think can be described as a bug. Some people may think there are too many long shots, others won't. This is at best a part of the game that may need tweaking which is in no way the same as a bug.

Agree

Same, agree!

Dunno about this one

injuries (still too many after DEMO) - I disagree. I've seen very few people still complaining about too many injuries since the first patch.

Well, not really, it's quite reasonable..

Didn't try it

fa cup draws regionalised (eg UTD V CITY every year) - I've not seen this but haven't looked at it in detail so cannot comment.

Dunno about this one

??

press conferences (get asked the same question 5 times in a row - This is not a bug, many people would like more variation from the media interaction so that it's not repetative but that's not a bug in the game, just an area of the game that can be improved.

Yes, the press conference is boring!

rivals playing same day (sheffield and old firm etc etc) - Again I've not looked at this so I'm sure you're correct. However, this is very minor.

Dunno

Out of the 10 things you've listed I think 2 can be classed as genuine bugs that are serious enough to be annoyed about, the Seria C one and the fact that the ball hits the post too often.

The rest are either not bugs or far too minor to even threaten delaying the release.

For me, the first 2 bugs, "lazy bug" (dunno why, but the players are lazy to take the ball, and I'm not sure it is because of work rate property), and also slow reaction bug (after shoot, they need to spare 1-3 seconds before make another attemps, it's like in Pro Evolution Soccer) are the most annoying, since it occurs several times until I'm tired of playing FM and decide to stop playing (cause I'm frustrated!! :mad:)

I gues developers are ever faced with a dilemma... A dilemma which depends on the deadline that is set.

Let's suppose, as some already claim, that deadline nears and you have a half-finished game.

You can either postpone the release, and get stick because of that, or you can publish the game as is, and bring out a patch dealing with as many bugs as possible to make the game as playable as possible, before trying to perfect the game with a second patch (and subsequent patches). You will get stick for releasing an incomplete game, with testers not capable of doing their job, developers ignoring customers' demands, people thinking that it should be simple to release a new version, as the game is just similar to last year's version, etc.

So, whatever a developer does, (s)he gets showered with love from some of us users. What would YOU do?

I would realise that a game's reputation can have a big impact on future releases and not have my name associated with half-finished releases.

Look at what happened to Atari - they were ruined because they kept releasing buggy game after buggy game.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean they aren't there. I have several timnes seen a player stand 1 yeards away from the ball the run 7-8 yards the other way letting their opponment thats 6 yards away pick up the ball.

I have seen players stand still with the ball for 2 minutes while 3 of my players circled him for 2 minutes about 2 yards away. They were just running around min in a circle.

There is way to many longshots, though I agree it isn't really a bug, just a bad adjustment in the code.

Corner Cheat is in the game. You score on half of the corner if you set it up with best jumper header on challenge keeper, put ball in 6yard box and keep all you other players away for the 6 yard box.

The media thing might not be a bug, coz reporters use to keep asking the same questions again if you are elusive in your answer.

And things like this:

http://files.chocoboheaven.com/uploads/Guests/images/o5c85w.gif

I would realise that a game's reputation can have a big impact on future releases and not have my name associated with half-finished releases.

Total tripe.

People have moaned about game breaking bugs on release since CM4, and yet each successive version of the game has gone from strength to strength.

Don't forget that this forum is a very small section of the people who buy the game, and the people complaining about bugs are an even smaller part.

Look at the average score of the game reviews, they're still high, a couple of game breaking bugs and some minor annoying ones that are being fixed in a couple of patches is not enough to damage the worldwide reputation this game has. Even if you yourself feel a little more disillusioned.

I bet you buy FM2010 :)

Total tripe.

People have moaned about game breaking bugs on release since CM4, and yet each successive version of the game has gone from strength to strength.

Don't forget that this forum is a very small section of the people who buy the game, and the people complaining about bugs are an even smaller part.

Look at the average score of the game reviews, they're still high, a couple of game breaking bugs and some minor annoying ones that are being fixed in a couple of patches is not enough to damage the worldwide reputation this game has. Even if you yourself feel a little more disillusioned.

I bet you buy FM2010 :)

Atari.

And no, I won't automatically buy it, I haven't bought FM09 either - my brother did.

They don't happen on my machine.

That doesn't mean they don't happen. I've had 2 game crashes on a new machine purchased 2 weeks ago. Your summaries are wrong... how do you know its PC related and not game related? You don't!! same as me... but because i've experienced it on my gaming laptop then it definitately leans towards the game. A small piece of code could be causing crashes in very rare occurances. I haven't had them for a week and a half now.

Only stating this because some people are saying its not a problem because it doesn't happen to them.

That doesn't mean they don't happen. I've had 2 game crashes on a new machine purchased 2 weeks ago. YOur summaries are wrong... how do you know its PC related and not game related? You don't!! same as me... but because i've experienced it on my gaming laptop then it definitately leans towards the game. A small piece of code could be causing crashes in very rare occurances. I haven't had them for a week and a half now.

Only stating this because some people are saying its not a problem because it doesn't happen to them.

Read my posts properly in the future. I haven't said the bugs aren't there, I said that if they don't appear on my machine it's feasible that they didn't appear during testing.

Personally i'm loving the game. I will buy it every year. I will adjust. I don't mind bugs. Hell i don't even notice most of them. It was just the typing bug, hitting the bar a lot, and game crashes that were unfortunate. The only thing i am not sure on is the low striker ratings, i don't know if its a bug or not. I was merely stating my opinion on that aspect. I have a pretty even view on either side of the argument. Its a great game. I can't wait for the patch which will make it even better! I don't think they could release the game later as by then the season has already begun and is in full flow! Certain combinations of game and different machines is causing some to have problems, so that part is very hard to find out. I just didn't like the way you fobbed off some of the issues by stating that it was pc related when you really didn't have proof of this(as so many people get blasted for not backing up their theories, i expected you not to claim this without proof).

Archived