Target Man and Playmaker

Was just wondering if anyone had tried both instructions with any success. I generally play a 4-4-2 and sometimes use a deep playmaker (from midfield) with one of my strikers tucking deeper with a lot of CF who directs play a little further up the field, was wondering if making the creative striker a target man with ball to feet would work with the deep playmaker?

Any ideas?

Brilliant, cheers. I've been struggling to get the best out of Fabregas, he regularly gets 0.3 to 0.8 lower than everyone else on the team and I thought I'd got his instructions figured out! He's my playmaker in my 4-1-2-2-1 backup tactic and seems to love it so I'll try it with him as playmaker and Ade as target man.

Yeah, I've started to notice this, I'll play 1st half with Cesc as playmaker and he'll get a low rating, then 2nd half without him as specific playmaker and he does much better, and it's not team talks or tactical changes otherwise that do this.

Might try Ade as target man/run onto ball as he's pretty quick but I've started adopting a more control based tactic with a high defensive line to control possession and territory so not sure how much space that would leave in behind. I rarely counter attack despite pace in the team so not sure how effective that sort of TM would be in my team.

you can either have a CF dropping into space as target man with supply to head, like Adebayor. But what i find usefull sometimes is having my pacey striker as target man with him running onto the ball, whilst still playing the deep lying forward.

also if you have a player like Fabregas as playmaker make him direct passing and lots of creative freedom, this way he looks to make passes forward alot and will look for the space or run of another player to try create an opportunity.

Yeah, I've been trying that with him for a while but not a great deal of joy, maybe he's just been out of form for a while, sometimes he's awesome. Doesn't contribute many goals though, but I suppose he wouldn't in that capacity, also, I guess he gets marked out of the game a lot which opens up space elsewhere.

I'm liking the idea of run onto ball for the TM whilst using a playmaker at the same time.

Thanks for the advice

I find Use Playmaker works best on a superstar in a weak team.

With a team like Arsenal you don't need everybody trying to get the ball to Fabregas - he'll contribute regardless of whether he's set to playmaker and then if he is heavily marked or has a poor game the team won't suffer.

you can either have a CF dropping into space as target man with supply to head, like Adebayor. But what i find usefull sometimes is having my pacey striker as target man with him running onto the ball, whilst still playing the deep lying forward..

I love using that when the opposition defense is slower than my pacey striker. I then use those instructions, as well as setting my players, and most of all my two excellent passing central midfielders, to more direct passing. Doesn't even have to be a huge difference in speed to get decent results; my pacey striker has 17 acc / 16 pace and can usually get a few good scoring chances from over the top balls even against defenders with just 3-4 less pace/acc.

Archived