Ajax tactics and problems

Is anybody able to give some advice about my Ajax tactics. At the moment I use default formation as offered by FM 09 when you take over Ajax. It means 4-1-2-2-1 with DM and two winger + lone striker, all midfielders + wingers and full-backs run forward when getting possesion.

Starting 11:

--------------------Stekelenburg-------------------------

Bruno Silva --- Oleguer ------Vermaelen-------Emanuelson

--------------------Vertonghen---------------------------

-----------Gabri----------------Lindgren------------------

Baikircioglü-----------------------------------------Suarez

---------------------Huntelaar----------------------------

Questions:

1) which passing to use (short, direct)

2) which tempo to use

3) how wide should formation to be

4) any individual orders? (atm I have Vertonghen and Huntelaar set to hold up ball, midfielders wiht short-mixed passing, wingers and striker more direct passing)

5) how deep defensive line?

6) has anybody a good guide about set pieces?

Because of the Ajax squad strength versus most of the Eredivisie teams (You wil dominate most games easily) it is advisable to play in a attacking, high tempo pressing game. Especially at home.

Thing is you want to keep possesion as much as possible and when you do lose the ball to get it back as quickly as possible.

Let the attackers tackle hard and put enormous pressure on the other teams defenders so they don't have time for the build up

of attacks. You will win more balls this way and you will not receive a lot of cards because most of your fouls will be in the opponents half anyway.

The goalkeeper throws the ball to the fullbacks (Emanuelson)

I have my 2 central defenders (mentality 8) at short passing (you want to build from the back and not kick it straight to the opposition). The fullbacks (ment.12) are at mixed passing.

The defensife midfielder midfielder (Ment. 8) holds up the ball and shoots from range (Vertonghen is an expert at that as you may know ;-) ) and passing is short to mixed. I think its best to keep him on forward runs and rwtb mixed.

The central midfielders are crucial because they have to support the wingers and the lone striker. Gabri is an all round player (Ment. 12) and is good at running with the ball into the box and must play close to huntelaar when in possesion of the ball. His passing should be short/mixed) Lindgren (ment 10) is more of a passing player and i think his direct passing wil launch the wingers.

The wingers (ment. 15) must run forward with and without the ball. This way the full backs of the opposition are dominated and can't go into attack. Cross often from byline on the targetman (to head) Passing is direct.

The targetman (lone striker) (Ment. 16) holds up the ball and has direct passing.

The wingers and the striker should have 14+ on creative freedom.

Team instructions: Mentality, Width and Defensive Line to 14. Tempo around 13. Play ball down both flanks and use target man.

Hope this helps you to dominate the eredivisie and bring back the title to where it belongs!!

How do you pressure opposition defenders, it doesn't seem to work on pitch as well as I expected, although I set my attacking players closing down to "whole pitch". Or should i set opposition instructions "close down always" to all opposition defenders?

I have the attacking players individual instructions on closing down +2 more then their mentality rating. If they get tired

(below 75% i think) i subsitute them because there are not able to pressure as much anymore.

Players like Aissati and Sulejmani will struggle with their injury proness and low stamina and natural fitness levels.

So even if they are very good technically i rather have someone who stays on his feet in these positions.

The assistent manager tells you before a match which opponent players to close down always. (most of the time the

opposition's central midfield players). The theory is that your entire team is so far up the pitch and your attacking players

tackling aggresively that you wil give them no time on the ball so they make mistakes more and your players will be already there

to punish that.

OK, thanks for good advice. I've tried this version of tactics for couple of matches and beat Utrecht 3-1 (away) and Willem II 4-0 (home) and made away 1-1 draw with Benfica in UEFA Cup.

What concerns stamina, I think would think about subbing some of attacking players anyway around 70 minute or so, so even if they tire a bit faster it doesn't bother me.

Against Utrecht and Benfica I conceded first goals and then to turn game away subbed Lindgren with Sarpong/Aissati and gave him also more attacking approach (run with ball, forward runs) and successfully.

Archived