The 2008/09 Juliano Belletti thread

macca69

Or at least a coach who knows what he's doing. Just imagine if we had someone like Ferguson at the helm, oh what we could achieve...

Would he really start winning things with Chelsea?

Man Utd have exactly the players he wants playing exactly the way he wants since SAF has been there for 20 or so years.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would he really start winning things with Chelsea?

Man Utd have exactly the players he wants playing exactly the way he wants since SAF has been there for 20 or so years.

That's what I meant to imply, a long term coach who has won things. Ferguson would bring in players, and I think he can spot long term talent, instead of bringing in 30 year old Deco who has maybe 2-3 good years left if that. Just someone who can build a system, bring in youth, and make it work for a while. Mourinho has been there the longest of the Abramovic era but even wasn't really trying to get the youth program to work and have be for the long term.

I could be totally wrong, so if I am don't flame me please.

If Felipão did that, Chelsea wouldn't be winning right now either and fans would still criticise him. What SAF did worked because Man Utd back then was not the major power it is now (SAF made them become that strong), so he had time to work and improve the team.

Felipão took a Chelsea team that was already expected to fight for titles, so he has to bring estabilished players like Deco just like he has to also slowly change the team so that in a few years it will be exactly like he wants it to be.

If Felipão did that, Chelsea wouldn't be winning right now either and fans would still criticise him. What SAF did worked because Man Utd back then was not the major power it is now (SAF made them become that strong), so he had time to work and improve the team.

Felipão took a Chelsea team that was already expected to fight for titles, so he has to bring estabilished players like Deco just like he has to also slowly change the team so that in a few years it will be exactly like he wants it to be.

Good point, but Deco was a mistake signing.

Scolari has said he isnt staying for the long term anyway. In 2 to 3 years the team will play his way and he will be leaving. It would have made more sense to bring in a young manager who was going to build for the future.

Im just so disappointed with our squad right now. We have 2 weeks til we play again and a little over a week to buy some new players before Old Trafford, I guess we'll see what happens. I say sell Alex, recall Mancienne, sell Deco, buy a striker. And use Stoch, Sinclair, and Di Santo more, they might play with more heart.

No you're wrong. We may not be winning but we'd be far happier than we are now. Besides I think we probably would be winning these types of games if Scolari had done what he claimed he was going to do and given youth a chance. Time and time again throughout this thread you will see me, and many others bemoaning the fact that he brings players like Paulo Ferreira on for Joe Cole and leaves his precious ****ing Deco on the pitch and our exciting young players like Scott Sinclair on the bench.

He did not have to bring in established players like Deco. He didn't have to bring in any central midfielders, let alone established ones. Lampard, Ballack, Mikel, Essien and Joe Cole all excellent players through the centre and Deco was just a completely unnecessary signing.

• Administrators

I'm gonna get this in early. We play Southend next Saturday, a team we've loaned Lee Sawyer to and released Anthony Grant to. A division we've loaned Shaun Cummings to, and one above a division we've loaned Tom Taiwo to. These are four of our 'lesser' reserve team performers. Decent players, but not our best and players who won't make it at Chelsea.

So, is it beyond the realms of realism to not only hope to see Di Santo (if fit), Sinclair and Stoch, but also have the likes of Taylor, van Aanholt, Mellis and Kakuta? More likely Cork if we call him back from Southampton on Thurs as he's due back, but my point is: It's Southend ffs.

We'll clearly go Hilario, Ferreira, Ivanovic, Carvalho, Bridge, Mineiro, Lampard, Belletti, Sinclair, Kalou, Drogba though :(

My uncle tried to get me tickets for the Southend game but couldn't apparently. First time I've not been to the FA Cup 3rd round in years.

Also what Phil said but I think Ballack will play to try and get him back into form a bit quicker and probably Joe Cole too instead of Sinclair.

There's simply no way we will have a single player under the age of 20 on the pitch at the start, and we might manage one or two getting 30 minutes at the end.

Selling Alex is just a ridiculous suggestion imo. Would rather have him in the team than Terry right now.

Selling him because he said he wanted to leave in January, nothing about his ability.

I'm gonna get this in early. We play Southend next Saturday, a team we've loaned Lee Sawyer to and released Anthony Grant to. A division we've loaned Shaun Cummings to, and one above a division we've loaned Tom Taiwo to. These are four of our 'lesser' reserve team performers. Decent players, but not our best and players who won't make it at Chelsea.

So, is it beyond the realms of realism to not only hope to see Di Santo (if fit), Sinclair and Stoch, but also have the likes of Taylor, van Aanholt, Mellis and Kakuta? More likely Cork if we call him back from Southampton on Thurs as he's due back, but my point is: It's Southend ffs.

We'll clearly go Hilario, Ferreira, Ivanovic, Carvalho, Bridge, Mineiro, Lampard, Belletti, Sinclair, Kalou, Drogba though :(

What about Stoch? How is he?

Also, anyone seen the reports linking Bayern Munich with Malouda?

I put Stoch in there tbf. I figure he'll get some time.

Never watched a reserve game but I've read reports on them and he seemed to always be in the thick of the action either setting up or getting goals. Also when Scolari bizarelly brought him on against Liverpool? IIRC, he looked half decent

I have a ticket for the Southend game but I can't go. It's in the MHL but restricted view. Wasn't able to go originally, then I could so bought my ticket and that was all that was available, now I can't go again. Anyone want to take it of my hands? Think I paid £11.50 for it but i'll let it go for £10 or near abouts. Actually i'm not too bothered about price, would rather someone take it than it be an empty seat.

Yea, he's been charged now! haha

Anyone heard this, Ben Arfa coming, highly doubt it though

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari is weighing up making an offer for Marseille midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa in the January transfer window, according to a report in the British tabloid the Daily Mirror.

It is claimed that the Brazilian tactician is looking to bring in a creative player in order to improve the Blues' home record in the Premier League, following four draws and two defeats at Stamford Bridge this season.

21-year-old Ben Arfa has apparently been identified as the type of player who fits the bill and could now be subject of a €10.2 million (£10 million) bid from the Blues.

The French international, who has scored one goal from seven caps, only joined Les Phocéens from Lyon this summer in a deal worth €9.7 m (£9.5 m) so it remains to be seen whether they will part with the left-sided midfielder.

Furthermore, the Clamart-born winger has already featured for l'OM in the Champions League this season so would be ineligible to play for Chelsea,

although it is claimed that Scolari is more concerned with the club's league form than that in Europe.

Take a look at this, hard to tell how much truth, nut nonetheless frightening

Chelsea aren't keen on handing boss Luiz Felipe scolari any cash to spend in the impending January transfer window.

Like everyone else, the capital club has been affected by the frightening state of the global financial climate. Naturally, though, the sting of such worries takes has more ridiculous complexion at Stamford Bridge than anywhere else.

Reports suggest that billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich will have to choose to sell either the club or his £200 million mega yacht, Pelorus. In fact, he has allegedly sounded out buyers for the club already, hinting that the boat may be too dear to his heart.

According to Russian press agency Prime-Tass - who source an expert in football finance and, for some reason, someone of standing in German football - Abramovich's fortune has dwindled from €16.7 billion (£13.2bn) to €2.3bn (£2.25bn).

The giant yacht apparently has a couple of helipads and an anti-missile system to fend off pirates - a job given to skipper John Terry at the Bridge.

Further reports in Russia hint at the practical affect which the crisis is having on Chelsea. For instance, apparently the players are paying for their own lunches.

The club is yet to comment on the rife speculation.

Ivanovic has been immense, I think. Be a shame to see him back out in the cold when Terry's back and Carvalho's fully fit. Actually, our defence has been by far the best thing about us. Bosingwa and Cole have been strong down the wings, Alex has done a good job filling in alongside Ivanovic, and Terry...is Terry. It's sad that our attack is so toothless right now. I would prefer an in-form and interested Drogba over Anelka because honestly, Anelka being top of the goalscoring charts right now just makes me think of that quote about form being temporary and class being permanent. He's been pretty awful these last few games. Lamps is Lamps, Ballack and Joe Cole have been blowing hot and cold, Mikel has been mostly awesome but occasionally iffy, and Deco has been a nightmare. I'd definitely like to see some of our younger players get a run out, especially against the likes of Southend, but I don't think it's a solution to our current problem. Ben Arfa would be a magnificent signing, especially if we could shed Deco and Drogba and sign a great striker, too. And by "great" I don't necessarily mean world class, more someone that's going to give us 20 goals a season without being as high maintenance as Drogba or as inconsistent as Nico.

Robinho would have been immense at the Bridge. We wouldn't have needed to build the team around him. With the kind of freedom he'd have playing with a Lamps/Joey/Drogba attacking team, he'd be running riot right now.

Just sad to watch us at the moment, and United are looking like winning the Prem again.

Im not massively keen on Heskey. His not a goal-scorer so doesnt really fit into the role of playing on his own upfront, the only thing I can see him helping with is getting Anelka playing better but I dont think we will change our system anytime soon.

Drogba is a useful player for the way we play but if his not committed we should try and find someone who can play up-top on there own and score goals much like he does.

Benzema :), I want two strikers up top though. Buy two pacey strikers, sell Deco and Malouda for a combined total of about 15-18 million pounds. And at least buy ONE striker. Then we play with 2 strikers. And bring up Sinclair and Stoch for back up on the wings, and maybe Woods? for CM cover.

Archived