The 2008/09 Juliano Belletti thread

macca69

We were not in the game before Lamps was sent off, so Scolari cannot use that as an excuse. He picked a poor team, and we set up too lose. So title is out of our reach now, FA Cup and CL to concentrate on, although we will do **** all in either of them.

**** basically.

What was wrong with Scolari's selection?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

It's just so stale. The team needs blowing up and starting over with the sort of intelligent signings Ranieri got us. Cech, Robben, Duff, Cole, Bridge, Mutu were all his. The likes of Alex, Ballack at times, Kalou, Malouda, Drogba, Anelka, Deco aren't what we need right now. Need Essien back badly, and an influx of young attacking talent with the capability of doing what we had in Robben and Duff, changing the game with proper pace and unpredictability. It's just so uninspiring.

On today, Alex and Bosingwa were superb, except for their first goal :(

What the ****? Did you see Drogba today? Swear to God if I was Anelka I'd be so ****ed off at him even getting time on the pitch ahead of me at the moment.

I admit Drogba is lazy and doesnt care about playing for us anymore which is terrible, I actually thought he would go in the summer.

If we are going to play the way we did today though I dont think Anelka is the man to lead the line, he comes deep wonders wide and half the time we never have a striker upfront.

I would love to see Scolari gamble for the rest season and play 442, the league is as good as gone. Play Di Santo alongside Anelka then I reckon we will get the most out of him. Also play Stoch down the right let him get some game time against the lesser teams. I also think Malouda would play better slightly deeper in a proper 442 (he cant really play worse).

Im saying that this game was a must win. He went out with the look of drawing hte game. He should of gone out 4-4-2, no matter how crap Drogba wants to play, its better than having Kalouda as the wingers. Or even Anelka and Kalou up front would have been better. There were other options as well, Stoch anyone?

Season ****ed now. Absolutely raped. We have dropped stupid, stupid points and shold not even be in this position. We have not really challenged one of the top 4 this season. Club just looks old and stale, and needs some major changes. Ballack is mostly not good enough, does some stupid ****.

Only players i'd keep are Essien, Terry, Lampard, Cech, Cole, Carvalho and Mikel, all the rest are either not good enough or don't often feel like playing football, just happy to pick up there 50 G's a week.

Would rather see the old Chelsea where although we didnt often ahve the quality, we had passion and a team that wanted to win every tackle, header and beat every team. Not absolute cnuts like Drogba who are lazy ****wits who do not to wear the kit of our club.

Half our squad is dispensable. Would break it up something like this:

In the keep net:

Petr Cech

Rhys Taylor

Hilario - decent cover

Branislav Ivanovic - think he's been unlucky not to play more this season.

Ashley Cole

Jose Bosingwa

John Terry

Ricardo Carvalho

Michael Mancienne

John Obi Mikel

Michael Essien - we so desperately need him back.

Frank Lampard

Joe Cole

Miroslav Stoch

Gael Kakuta

Franco Di Santo

Nicolas Anelka - undecided. Wouldn't base the side around him but don't think he deserves dumping just yet.

Wave goodbye:

Didier Drogba - should have gone last summer

Paulo Ferreira - is only there for cover, has made nominal appearances this season

Deco - not what we need

Florent Malouda - gtf

Mineiro - terrible

Undecided (leaning more go than stay):

Michael Ballack - there are better, younger central midfielders out there nowadays. Still, on his day can be a beast.

Salomon Kalou - so hit and miss, how long do we give him?

Alex - has had a poor season so far, albeit a very good game today.

Juliano Belletti - decent cover, thats about it though. Would rather his job be given to a youngster.

To at least be involved:

Jack Cork - may not eventually be Chelsea quality but would rather see him be given a chance and fail than not get a chance at all.

Slobodan Rajkovic - have only seen him play for minutes so can't really offer an opinion.

Scott Sinclair - either give him a chance or let him leave.

Ryan Bertrand - like him, would be apt cover for Cole imo.

Ben Sahar - see how he gets on at De Graafschap. Is somethere there though.

Have ignored the rest of the youth for now. Couple I really like (such as Bruma) but they are possibly still a little young. Supplement that base squad with some exciting signings and we may just save face. Would be a younger, faster, more athletic team if I had my say.

I agree with much of what you say.

I agree Anelka should be kept, we havent even played him properly in a system that suits his style and his got goals. He has pretty much done that at every club he plays.

With Alex his never going to be more than a cover player and I would rather Mancienne did his job so that when its time for him to step-up his had some first team experience.

The keep net shows we need a class winger and striker.

[quote name='bridgekings;2617241

Wave goodbye:

Didier Drogba - should have gone last summer

Paulo Ferreira - is only there for cover' date=' has made nominal appearances this season

Deco - not what we need

Florent Malouda - gtf

Mineiro - terrible

[b']Undecided (leaning more go than stay):[/b]

Michael Ballack - there are better, younger central midfielders out there nowadays. Still, on his day can be a beast.

Salomon Kalou - so hit and miss, how long do we give him?

Alex - has had a poor season so far, albeit a very good game today.

Juliano Belletti - decent cover, thats about it though. Would rather his job be given to a youngster.

To at least be involved:

Jack Cork - may not eventually be Chelsea quality but would rather see him be given a chance and fail than not get a chance at all.

Slobodan Rajkovic - have only seen him play for minutes so can't really offer an opinion.

Scott Sinclair - either give him a chance or let him leave.

Ryan Bertrand - like him, would be apt cover for Cole imo.

Ben Sahar - see how he gets on at De Graafschap. Is somethere there though.

I think i would add Sinclair and Sahar to the goodbye other then that you've summed the squad up superbly.

As far as change of management who would you get?

Zola is a possibility but less then a season in charge is rather risky. I cant think of many managers who would join us under the current financial constraints

I would love Zola and Clarke to come in and let them build rather than expect immediate success. They have slowly turned West Ham round, they look solid defensively and create a lot of chances, just miss a good striker to finish them.

We probably wouldn't be able to afford them though :D

I would love to see Di Matteo back at the bridge one day too, he is my favourite ever player and has started management well but needs more experience before top level otherwise probably be another Paul Ince. Hopefully he gets into the Championship next season.

The key was the sending off. Big phil played it right waiting for Liverpool to start panicking and then going for it, but that was all stopped by the terrible decision. We then had to defend.

We were never going to go there and attack. Think management wise we got it right today. Sure I hate malouda, but we are just so short on other options.

We'll still come second and the bin dippers won't win it. United's at a canter.

I think i would add Sinclair and Sahar to the goodbye other then that you've summed the squad up superbly.

As far as change of management who would you get?

Zola is a possibility but less then a season in charge is rather risky. I cant think of many managers who would join us under the current financial constraints

Why ditch Sinclair? He's still only 19, by all accounts he's doing well at Birmingham and did pretty well whenever given first team opportunities for us in the past (for more than three minutes at the end of a game). The only reason he still won't fulfil his potential is if we carry on doing to same to him as we've done to so much of our young talent before and wasted them on a series of short-term loans, not giving them a chance to settle anywhere and get a decent run of regular football at any decent level. People forget how good Carlton Cole was when he first played for us (Ranieri said he was best young player he'd ever seen and he scored six goals in about fifteen appearances in 2002/03), then we sent him off to Wolves, Charlton, Villa and then brought him back for a year in the reserves at Chelsea, obviously affecting his confidence and form. His gradual improvement at West Ham is finally starting to show some of the qualities he used to have.

Anyway, my point is that we can still bring good things out of youngsters like Sinclair if we give them some consistency and stop shopping them around, telling them they'll get their chance then loaning them out. Ideally, I'd like to see Scott given until the end of the season at Birmingham then if he can keep up his good form, keep him around next season and guarantee him some starts in Cup competitions and appearances from the bench in the Prem. After a year see how he's developing and then make a decision. Our obsession with loaning out young players (we wanted to do the same with Alexandre Pato when we looked like we were going to buy him, before Milan came in and guaranteed him first team football) is IMO one of the reasons why we can't produce players from our academy like Man Utd can - if you think about it, our big success story was Terry and after a few strong Cup performances, he was given regular chances in the league and the chance to impress over the long term, which he took.

Sinclair is rubbish. It is not the club's fault, it is his own. We give him loan after loan and he just doesn't perform to any level of consistency. Mancienne and Cork have performed, and they will be Premiership regulars within the next two years, be it with us (hopefully), or elsewhere.The Carlton Cole argument is futile, he was always going to be a late bloomer.

Lets keep Lampard, Mikel, our back four and our keeper and start over.

Or just get Clarke and Jose back in.

Sinclair at least deserves a chance, Neil Warnock was impressed with him last season and wanted him back again this season. He cant perform any worse than what Kalouda are currently doing. Would love Kakuta to get a chance at the end of the season, possibly in pointless meaningless games.

Has to be some form of clearout in the summer as well, we have money from the Bridge sale, could get some form of money for the needless players we have currently. Malouda, Kalou, Ferreira & Deco could all be sold for money. Ballack & Miniero should be released at end of season, or Ballack at most should come down a hell of a lot on his wages for a 1 year contract. Drogba can also go, he clearly couldnt care less.

That would leave us looking something like:

GK: Cech, Hilario, Taylor

DR: Bosingwa, Mancienne

DL: Cole, possibly Rajkovic (sp?)

DC: Terry, Alex

DC: Carvalho, Ivanovic

DMC: Mikel, Cork?

MC: Lampard, Ballack (if he stays)

MC: Essien, possible new signing

AMR: Cole, Stoch

AML: New signing, Kakuta?

ST: Anelka, Di Santo

Not sure if I have missed anyone out, this has been done fairly quickly, thoughts?

Sinclair is rubbish. It is not the club's fault, it is his own. We give him loan after loan and he just doesn't perform to any level of consistency. Mancienne and Cork have performed, and they will be Premiership regulars within the next two years, be it with us (hopefully), or elsewhere.The Carlton Cole argument is futile, he was always going to be a late bloomer.

Lets keep Lampard, Mikel, our back four and our keeper and start over.

Or just get Clarke and Jose back in.

Nonsense, even taking into account the fact that you're disregarding the point I made about constantly being shopped around would obviously affect a player's form and confidence, Sinclair has done well everywhere he's played except Charlton, where it was fairly obvious the management didn't want him or have room for him in their system. Carlton Cole is a late bloomer IMO because he suffered the 'Chelsea loans' treatment - see if any of his early performances for us are on YouTube, he was terrific, a confident runner and decent goalscorer. Then we started shopping him and the inconsistency set in.

Archived