The 2008/09 Juliano Belletti thread

macca69

It's basically going to come down to two camps, the Chelsea fans will want that type of reaction from their players, its probally how they felt at the time, neutrals will feel it was over the top and that Drogba, Ballack are the devil etc etc, best to just leave it at that. Without the ref there isn't a game, but sometimes it's not worth having a ref if your going to be that bad, if there's no way you can defend the players then there's also no way you can defend that ref.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feels really sorry for Chelsea and the fans. Before the match I would've prefered Barca to win. But it's absolutely crazy when 3 clear penalties are not given. This competition is said to have the best teams and how much better are you supposed to be when you are rejected of 3 best scoring opportunities.

People talking about anti-football are complete morons. If those penlaties were given it would've been 4-1 and everyone would've been saying how Chelsea outclassed, outplayed, owned Barca.

As for player reactions, I don't see much wrong with it. If I was there I know I would've behaved similarly, except that I may be would've punched the referee. So Ballack and Drogba should be hailed that they somehow managed to restrain them from that.

Overall, that's why I rate leagues much more than CL or any other cup. Over 40 games such idiotic refereing averaging himself and you can honestly say that the best team wins it. In cup matches the mistakes by the ref play a too much important role. What if the Fletcher episod happened on the 5th minute 2 day ago or what really happened yesterday. Even one mistake plays a huge role and it really hmpers the importance of that tournament.

Absolutely gutted after last night. But after having a whole night thinking about it, i think we can hold our heads very high. We battled at the Nou Camp and outplayed them at the Bridge all for some Norwegian ****** to have the last word. Drogba has turned himself completely around in my books over recent months but last night topped it. To show that passion is something i absolutely love. As for Ballack, just wished he let his aggression out on him.

The only positive i can think of is that Hiddink may be more likely to stay. To keep him now is essential. What an epic manager. Just a shame we didnt get that second last night.

As for UEFA, corrupt as f uck.

Meh. That was horrible.

Lampard pretty much right to say we're cursed in the CL, superb last night and only denied another final because of probably the worst referee (linesman should take part of the blame as well) I have ever witnessed. Still, Barcelona a fantastic team, well done.

I remember an interview with Hiddink saying he would retire from football after the 2010 World Cup. Would he still do that if he was Chelsea boss.

Just about to go through the match thread :(

As for player reactions, I don't see much wrong with it. If I was there I know I would've behaved similarly, except that I may be would've punched the referee. So Ballack and Drogba should be hailed that they somehow managed to restrain them from that.

Come on, a bit of perspective please. Mistakes will happen, bad decisions are unfortunately made in most matches at all standards. It's no excuse for that sort of disrespect after the final whistle.

My amateur side was cheated out of a semi-final on Sunday when the ref failed to spot an opponent deliberately palming the ball into our net, Maradona-style. He didn't see it, we had to get on with it. You can't go round acting like Drogba did, even less so when he has a responsibility to set the right example due to such wide tv exposure.

Besides, it's extremely difficult to feel any sympathy for a guy like Didier (and others), when during the match he repeatedly tries to con the very ref whose inaccuracy he then complains about afterwards. When he didn't convert that golden chance on his left foot to kill the tie 2-0, I don't suppose he'd expect to be castigated for failing to get that right, would he?

Don't be blind enough to be proud of his disrespectful behaviour, there are right and wrong ways to show passion for the club.

Man Utd for sure. Because they are English.

I am not sure. Not sure I would be able to watch Man U lift the trophy again :( I was glad when Barca beat Arsenal and glad when Milan beat Liverpool.

Even when he was so shockingly bad?

Well, yeah? Barcelona have suffered from poor refereeing over the two legs as well. It was never a red card last night, plus they had a clear penalty last week ignored. Had they held a 1-0 lead going into last night the game could've been totally different.

Decisions go for and against everyone.

all these people on their high horses with their "it's a disgrace" "letting the club down" etc etc...

oooh a player swore at the camera! disgrace!

lighten up

It's not about being on any high horse mate, i just think he makes Chelsea look like the classless ***** that they're often accused of being, don't you?

There were reports of him intimidating the ref in the tunnel, slamming his hand against the wall whilst getting in his face again. Not really sure how you can condone that tbh. It's understandable being angry, but the lack of self control is pathetic.

It's unfortunate really, because as far as i'm aware, the more decent Chelsea players (who appear to have taken things on the chin) such as Lampard, Cech and others, may suffer next season because of Drogba's actions last night. Ballack's too maybe.

Tbh, I'd react in the same way as the Chelsea players did last night if I was playing in that game. It is understandable, after being robbed of 3 clear penaltys. The toure tackle wasn't a pen but the Pique, Abidal and the one in the final minute; not sure who it was but they were all penaltys imo. Ballacks reaction was inexcuseable but the players after the game's reaction was understandable; any team would have done it if they were in Chelsea's position, any fan who says their team wouldn't is lying or doesn't know until there team is in that situation. Gutted for you lot though. Really did want you to win. Essien really is; regardless of the goal; probably the best midfielder in England at the moment. His attitude towards the game is incredible.

Or not ;)

"I'm fully behind Didier and the way he reacted," added Terry. "But the fact is the referee is the one who should face the consequences, not Didier."

They should both face consequences. The reaction by Drogba is not something that bothers me, I would rather see heat of the moment emotion than him giving up but it should be punished. Referee was a joke and surely his top level career is over.

I think i'd agree about the ref. I've seen equally poor performances in the past go relatively unpunished, but i don't think we'll be seeing Mr Ovrebo again.

Whether that is a good thing is open to debate.

I think i'd agree about the ref. I've seen equally poor performances in the past go relatively unpunished, but i don't think we'll be seeing Mr Ovrebo again.

Whether that is a good thing is open to debate.

I'm sure he can be tested once more for a Liverpool game, one can hope. ;)

Can I just add one thing? Standing amongst the shell-shocked Chelsea fans on the Matthew Harding Lower as Iniesta's strike hit the back of the net and our dreams of European glory quickly faded before our very eyes, I noticed something.

As Barcelona players, management and substitutes ran onto the field to celebrate their last-gasp winner, and a place in the Champions League final in Rome, there was one remaining figure in the Barca dugout.

Stood with his hands by his sides and quietly surveying what was going on around him was Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Just read this. Eidur is such a hero.

Was absolutely gutted last night. Great performance from the team. How any ref cant see at least one of those penalties is simply ridiculous. I personally would have punched the ref in the face after that. How anyone is having a go at the Chelsea players' reaction is beyond me. The ref should be fined or something for the worst show of refereeing I have ever seen.

I posted this in the Drogba thread. Respect him even more for this. Have a feeling Hiddink might be responsible for this and Bosingwa's statements.

Didier Drogba has asked for this statement to be released on his behalf.

'I was very upset at what happened during the game, but having seen the pictures on TV I accept that I overreacted.

'I also fully accept that the language I used did not set a good example for those watching at home, especially children. I regret that in the heat of the moment I let out my incredible frustration and disappointment in this way, and for that I apologise.'

• Administrators

He's one of the more likely yeah, I like him a lot. Probably, outside of Rajkovic and Sahar, the most advanced youngster we've had out on loan this year.

Sinclair and Bertrand are also back, as is Jimmy Smith, and possibly Sergio Tejera. I'd think Arsenal is too big for them but Blackburn the week after might suit some.

I'm a little tempted. The Arsenal game on Sunday is my last game of the season atm, swamped with exams after that so am missing Blackburn. Last exam is the Friday before Sunderland so it's teasing me, would be a good day, free travel another bonus.

Archived