FBs and CBs swapping positions

This might be news only to me, but in playing a game against Arsenal I experienced them swapping their full backs and centre backs. Meaning that Eboue and Clichy played as central defenders and Toure and Gallas went charging down the sides. And this wasn't just one isolated situation, they remained in these positions for at least 15 minutes.

I understand that this is a component of the "Total Football"-philosophy, players being able to play in each others position. (Probably somewhat misunderstood and over-simplified...) I've never seen this in a game, but I certainly like the idea of it and would like to try it out. You see this in Arsenal, and also in a local team I've been following, that especially midfield players will freely swap position with each other when going forward. (It also equally frustrating watching both when it doesn't work, like watching someone drive down a cul-de-sac over and over for 90 minutes.)

How is this best implemented in FM09? I would guess it's a combination of individual settings like creative freedom and swapping positions, as well as mentality, perhaps? And team settings such as Width and Focus Passing?

Any bright minds out there have any thoughts or theories?

switching strikers, wingers and cms works REALLY well as your opponents cant man mark as well. I have been trying to get it to work with spurs ( IRL berbatov and keane used to this all the time) but me results have been inconsistant.

I think you need a holding mid and three flair players who interchange (arsenal rosicky,fabregas,nasri plus a holding mid?)

I have a new project!!!

Archived