Combatting 4-2-4 All Out Attack

Passing Style set to Long, use a target man with run to ball set on to him, counter attack ticked, narrow width, slow tempo or even fast tempo if you feel innovative

^ that would be the logical way of looking at it, as there is a huge space in midfield.

Anyone any ideas on how to effectively combat the inevitable 4-2-4 All Out Attack employed by the opposition in the last few minutes of a match?

Have tried going to Ultra Defensive with 5 at the back but still concede too many goals and or chances.

I find going Ultra Defensive invites too much pressure - I play a 5-1-3-1 with Global Mentality so if they go 424 near the end I lower mentality to around 6, tempo slow, width narrow (setting of about 3-4 on each of those - I avoid extremes), time wasting 17/18, counter attack and pass down the flanks.

I've got a kill game tactic which is basically a 4-1-4-1 formation, can't remember the exact set up as I've used the same tactic since FM07 when a team goes 4-2-4. Most of the time I score another goal or at the very least hold on for the win. The only exception in 09 has been Arsenal but it has been noted that they are a super team which should be fixed with the next patch. When I'm back home later tonight I'll post the settings I use!

Archived