How to set up a good solid defence?

Hi,

I just started a new game on the 9.2.0 patch. My defenders are having trouble dealing with fast strikers/wingers. My team has been caught on the break for MANY occassions. Also, i find that my anchorman has not been very effective in breaking up opposiiton play. My team set-up is as follow (4-2-3-1/4-1-2-2-1):

fullbacks:

mentality: 10 (+1 = mid point)

CF: 6 (+1 = mixed)

CD: 10 (+1 = mid-point)

FWR and RWB = mixed

Long shots and TB = rarely

cross ball = mixed

centre backs:

mentality: 8 (+3 = mid point)

CF: 6 (+1 = mixed)

CD: 8 (+3 = mid-point)

ALL rarely

DM (4-1-2-2-1, DM-MCd-MCa-AMR-AML)/MCd (4-2-3-1, MCd-MCa-AMC-AMR-AML):

mentality: 10 (+1 = mid point)

CF: 7 (-1 = rarely)

CD: 13 (Team setting)

FWR and RWB = rarely

Long shots and TB = mixed

cross ball = rarely

TEAM settings:

mentality: 14 (-1 = mixed)

CF: 11 (= mid-point)

Tempo: 13 (+1 = high)

Width: 12 (+2 = wide)

CD: 12 (+2 = often)

D-L: 12

Is there anything wrong with the above settings? Please advise. thanks

i'm using Lyon. First season. I got several injuries tho ( i lost Grosso, Toulalan, abenzoner, fabio santos, cris, clerc and reveillevre). I used zonal marking (i also tried tight marking for my centre backs).

Try CF for CB's at 3/4, and I tight man mark for my aggressive CB, FB's and DM. I also put my other CB on Loose man marking but I play a high D-Line. I also match mentality to closing down and match MR/L, and CF's CF to their Creativity attribute. I do play with Arsenal though who have very quick defenders

speaking of defensive line, i read somewhere in the forum (the Framework) that DL must tie to the base mentality... how does that work?

Your d-line should nearly match the mentality of your dmc (or your defensive Mc, if you play with a flat midfield).

So if your dmc has mentality of 10, you could set your d-line from 8 to 12.

To stay safe.

Remember that mentality, closing down and d-line are all linked.

Your d-line should nearly match the mentality of your dmc (or your defensive Mc, if you play with a flat midfield).

To stay safe.

Hi Higgins,

If this is true would just setting them all to the same level across the board to the best way to go about it?

Hi Higgins' date='

If this is true would just setting them all to the same level across the board to the best way to go about it?[/quote']

No linked doesn't mean to the same level, means that when you change one you should change the other.

Only for my dc's I set mentality =closing down (I don't want them to be dragged away)

For the other roles, for example you could add 2 notches to every players mentality to have your mentality setup for every man on the pitch.

Just an example, anyway, you could try different setup too.

To stay safe.

Hi Higgins,

What do u mean by CD and d-line are linked? I like to play dominant attacking football with lots of possession. I'm thinking of pushing my D-line fairly high up the park and pressure my opponents at their own half, so i should give my players instruction to close down more often, right?

Hi Higgins,

What do u mean by CD and d-line are linked? I like to play dominant attacking football with lots of possession. I'm thinking of pushing my D-line fairly high up the park and pressure my opponents at their own half, so i should give my players instruction to close down more often, right?

Correct - but you should also then increase their mentality too.

Archived