Shoot, lob or round keeer?

Hello everyone, though i'm a regular reader of this forum, this is my actual first post. So don't kill me, or at least not too cruelly.

In my Barcelona save, I am trying to recreate the Ajax-Barça 4-3-3 (quite successfully so far), a tactic that gives me many through balls and thus many one-on-one situations. However, to my utter frustration, somehow i miss most of them (This is the point where FM09 gets ridiculous imo. I just can't imagine IRL the likes of Eto'o, Messi, Henry or Benzema storming on goal time after time just to be denied by the goalkeeper who somehow always has the game of his career against me. *rant-mode off*). Just to be clear, my squad harmony is high and my striker's morale excellent, so I don't think this is the problem.

Since I would like to improve my effectiveness, I am wondering on which of the preferred moves for one-on-one situations is the best (Shoot, lob or round keeper). For instance, in my game Henry has a goals to shots on targets ratio of 0.24 whereas Bojan with worse technical stats but "round keeper" as preferred move has a ratio of .40. What is your approach to this? Does it make sense to retrain the strikers?

I mentioned this in a post on the General forum but i give(or try to) those PPMs based on the player attributes.

For example, on my Parma game i have Paloschi and Lewandowsky as strikers.

Paloschi is very fast and has very nice technical attributes so i asked him to round the keeper. Lewandowsky however is a very strong player so i asked him to shoot with power. I'm not trying to "min-max" my players, just giving them what i think that makes sense :)

Whenever i get a new technical striker i'm going to ask him to lob the keeper to see if it works.

I try and teach them all if the player will allow it, that is "Places Shots", "Likes to Round Keeper" and "Likes to Lob Keeper". Thing is, even though it's in their PPM list they still don't always attempt these moves, and while I'm not going to claim I know how the match engine works in regard to PPM's I am of the opinion that the more options they have the better. I don't believe having all 3 is a negative, I in fact believe it to be a positive, having these PPM's will allow them to use these moves when appropriate. For example, I believe in a situation where a player who only has the ability to round a keeper will fail to perform the move for whatever reason and therefore miss the chance, the player with all 3 might then be able to choose to lob the keeper, or place the shot past the keeper, whichever is most appropriate.

It all depends how the game works though, I don't believe there is any drawback to stacking these PPM's but there might well be. It takes a quality player to learn all 3 anyway so perhaps that is something to consider? If only quality players can learn all 3 of these moves perhaps it is a positive after all.

Archived