Strikers can't score from crosses

I've played 3 seasons and I find tht my strikers can't score from crosses...the ball must be clear by the defenders..all the goals from crosses from to the far post and put in by my wingers...is this a bug or a tactical issue? can anybody help me to solve this?? Many tks!

Ive no issues. It must be your players or tactics. Passing can also be a factor. Set you wingers to mix or direct for passing and see if that helps. Plus your strikers need to be good int he air. Good heading, jumping and balance. Strength also helps.

Is your striker getting into scoring opportunites for crosses? Or are the wingers being better placed? Does the striker have low off the ball? if so this could be a reason. Also is he capable of scoring with his head? Personally I don't have any issues with with my striker scoring from crosses.

I played 4-2-3-1, my striker is torres/kuyt, winger are riera/tosic/walcott/babel..all with at least 15 crossing...but i just can't see my striker can head/stike the ball when the crosses are put in!

That's all good but tells me absolutely nothing about your tactic. What settings does the striker you think should be heading more and the wingers actually use?

mostly the crosses don't reach them at all

That's why he doesn''t head many then:D

Are your wingers capable of beating their marker and making it to the byline? If not cross from deep is better option to choose.

yes..the wingers can always cross successfully..the problem is the cross are always clear by defender..i have like almost 20 corss a game..but none can reach the striker...either the striker is in wrong position..or they cannot win the heading..or even the ball reach them, they seem to need bring down the ball instead of shoot, which always make the ball is clear by the defender at the end....so can anybody help me with this??

That's why he doesn''t head many then:D

Are your wingers capable of beating their marker and making it to the byline? If not cross from deep is better option to choose.

Cleon, in ur Sheffield united thread, u mentioned that u used a slow striker and wingers crossing low into the box, and the striker arriving late.

how do u set this up? plse share... this method would be good, for a slow but powerful striker. especially lone striker

Cleon, in ur Sheffield united thread, u mentioned that u used a slow striker and wingers crossing low into the box, and the striker arriving late.

how do u set this up? plse share... this method would be good, for a slow but powerful striker. especially lone striker

I explained it in the Sheff Utd thread already :)

Its also good to have a striker with a preferred move of "gets into opposition area" like Trezeguet and even a midfielder with "arrives late in opposition area" or move "gets into opposition area". Problem is these moves cant be trained however, either players have them or not. But I've found out that using byline crossing along with a midfielder with "arrives late in opposition area" like Essien or "gets into opposition area" like Lampard or Ronaldo works quite well. If you're having problems scoring from crosses you have to analyse the problem and understand why arent you scoring from crosses, are the crosses of low quality (not going to right way) or badly timed (crossing the ball while nobody in the box) or are the strikers loosing the aerial battle. Are your wide players with low decision making? Then you might tell them excactly from where to cross, how often and where to cross the ball.

Its also good to have a striker with a preferred move of "gets into opposition area" like Trezeguet and even a midfielder with "arrives late in opposition area" or move "gets into opposition area". Problem is these moves cant be trained however, either players have them or not. But I've found out that using byline crossing along with a midfielder with "arrives late in opposition area" like Essien or "gets into opposition area" like Lampard or Ronaldo works quite well. If you're having problems scoring from crosses you have to analyse the problem and understand why arent you scoring from crosses, are the crosses of low quality (not going to right way) or badly timed (crossing the ball while nobody in the box) or are the strikers loosing the aerial battle. Are your wide players with low decision making? Then you might tell them excactly from where to cross, how often and where to cross the ball.

i have david silva and juan mata as wingers, with cardozo was ST.

any help on how to set them up to score from corners?

thx in advance

i have david silva and juan mata as wingers, with cardozo was ST.

any help on how to set them up to score from corners?

thx in advance

Have a look at my tactics mate. I have a thread put up under the tactic section of the forum. Its called effective wingplay :)

so you got your MF like Essien / Lampard to score from crossing?

I'll say the problem is bad position. i set crossing to mix..and i hv quite some ppl in the box, but the ball just can't find player..and be cleared by the defender. So can you suggest sth to me on this?

General problem in FM 2009 is there is too many runs by wingers (much more than in real life or in previous versions of FM)and too many crosses.

I do score goals from crosses regularly, but the problem is that I don't feel that cross is so dangerous like in previous versions.

When i was Molde FK on FM08 i had a lone 5ft 8in striker, but who scored plenty from headers. I used my full-backs to get to the byline and cross to the near-post, and he'd stand a decent chance of getting ahead of the defenders and if he connected the chances of him scoring were high. I think he had very good anticipation, and was strong.

I don't know if it's different in FM09 but crossing near might be worth trying.

Guys its awesome this topic is brought up again. Inefficiency at converting crosses seems to be an issue with many many players.

I play as Man City with SWP and Petrov/Tosic as my wingers. I too find that very very low % of crosses connect with striker. This is my understanding:

If you play down flanks as you should against weaker teams or at home. The AI tends to play a narrow formation with wingers tracking back and FBs closing down wingers. I use a Nike Defense tactic - based on TT&F if you are wondering.

I have a strong feeling for players like SWP, Walcott - ie small wingers. the auto AI Opponent Instructions are to Close Down Always and Show onto Right Foot (if AMR) and Left Foot (if AML).

Hence SWP rarely gets the chance to:

• one cut inside (where he is most dangerous) and,
  • two all his crosses are always usually pressured

Of course poor off the ball movement will contribute and weak strikers in the air like Robinho doesn't exactly work.

Otherwise i have found, one thing to increase efficiency of crosses is if you increase Tempo and Width. That way you get it out to the wingers faster and gives them a better chance of an effective cross. Do this especially towards the end of the 1st half or end of the game or just after bring on a fresh winger.

Otherwise, try training your wingers for tricks and cutting inside preferred moves.

If someone can help me with this i'd be very appreciative:

One thing i have not found possible tactically is.. Is there a way to make striker run to near post for crosses when crosses are aimed at near post? Generally this I feel can bring a Vela or Robinho into play (their my strikers) - if their off the ball movement is like this it can put them in front of their defender - and also take their GK out of the picture (ie. he can't come claim the cross).

Of course i'm looking to bring in a better target man next season. But would like to achieve some good efficiency with Vela and Robinho in my team nevertheless.

I didn't drag anyone into the box no. And believe it or not my strikers where Henderson and Gladyki who are both quite slow. This is intentional for now as my AML and AMR will cut the ball back across goal rather than cross and aim for his head. This allows the striker to arrive late in the box and is hard to mark.

Btw this a gem from Cleon's Sheffield thread. if you have slower strikers or midfielders that get into box give it a try.

Archived