Fm 2008 regens?

Am thinkin of goin back to fm08 it was a more balanced game, but am wondering was there really a massive prob with regens bein to crap and makin the game unplayable pasted a certain year?

or was just the techical side stats to low likes of pace etc??

Give it sometime, you only posted your thread 7 minutes before you bumped it!

If I recall correctly the problem with 08 regens/newgens (whatever they're called) is that they were shockingly bad until around about 24 years of age.

They weren't so crap that they made the game unplayable but there certainly were problems with them, mainly their physical attributes being pretty low. You could still get excellent regen players, but overall physical attributes were a lot lower.

The Penalty Taking attribute also suffers as regens in '08 never seem to have decent ones, and the AI teams did not utilise tutoring so you'll get to a point where preffered moves are prety much non-existant.

The main problem for me though is that all regens start out with a low CA, meaning that eventually no player under the age of 23 is good enough to play in the first team of a big club. You still get great players, but they don't become great until they're in there mid 20's, meaning no wonderkids.

I'm playing FM08 and have a fair few wonderkids. I would say that as long as you have good training and a good scouting system you can find some great regens and turn them into class players in no time. Obviously it depends on the individual as they develop at different rates. I think it has something to do with their determination and work rate or something like that.

They weren't so crap that they made the game unplayable but there certainly were problems with them, mainly their physical attributes being pretty low. You could still get excellent regen players, but overall physical attributes were a lot lower.

The Penalty Taking attribute also suffers as regens in '08 never seem to have decent ones, and the AI teams did not utilise tutoring so you'll get to a point where preffered moves are prety much non-existant.

The main problem for me though is that all regens start out with a low CA, meaning that eventually no player under the age of 23 is good enough to play in the first team of a big club. You still get great players, but they don't become great until they're in there mid 20's, meaning no wonderkids.

Quite a good summary.

Players rarely had exceptional physical stats - e.g a quick, strong, good in the air defender like micah richards will never appear. by 2025 there was no one single player in the game with jumping 19.

having excelllent physical stats was so rare that the chance of that being combined with nice attributes elesewhere was low.

this means that alot of the "world class" players by the 2020's are quite slow compared to real life - e.g a well balanced attacking player will tend to have pace and acceleration below 14. when irl you get alot of quick wingers, defenders etc.

the poor penalty taking was a good point.

also players would have pointless attribute distribution - e.g defenders with corner taking 20 - there was lots of this and it uses up their CA in a pointless way.

Stick with fm09 the regen system is much better.

I'm playing FM08 and have a fair few wonderkids. I would say that as long as you have good training and a good scouting system you can find some great regens and turn them into class players in no time. Obviously it depends on the individual as they develop at different rates. I think it has something to do with their determination and work rate or something like that.

The lack of wonderkids wasn't the biggest problem with it though. The fact that there were only a handful of good players meant that the human player could cherry pick all the good ones while the AI would go for high CA/PA players who were terribly unbalanced and/or never able to get near their potential because of the low developing rate. So you'll probably end up utterly dominating your league if you get past a certain point.

You didn't elaborate. The match engine is fluid and consistent with no lag and is generally regarded as the best representation of football in FM yet.

I meant that the match engine in FM 08 is better then the one in FM 07

I'm still playing '08 and beginning the 2014/15 season. I sent my my scouts to the 2014 world cup and i think of 30 odd recommended players, only 1 was a newgwen. So that demonstrated how generally poor newgens are compared to the real players. I'm hoping to continue the game for many more seasons though as the game will become better balanced again once the real players start to get too old.

Are they not both the same? Well I know in FM 08 there's a pause ebfore a saved penalty.

But either way, the FM 07 one seems to be devoid of negatives, so the match engine is irrelevant.

Very subjective. There were a few improvements but a lot of flaws as well that weren't present in 07. 07's main weaknesses were the frantic tempo all matches were played at and over-reliance on physical attributes. But these were by no means major annoyances. Personally, I'd have no trouble going back and adjusting to 07's match engine, can't say the same about 08 really. In fact, taking other aspects of the game into consideration as well, I'd say 08 was the worst version of FM/CM since CM4.

07's main weaknesses were the frantic tempo all matches were played at and over-reliance on physical attributes.

Not at all. In FM 07 players could be playing top level football at the age of 34/35/36 with low pace and acceleration, although even at that age they could still have either attribute at over 10, or both.

As for frantic matches, I've won many trophies by playing a slow, passing style.

Not at all. In FM 07 players could be playing top level football at the age of 34/35/36 with low pace and acceleration, although even at that age they could still have either attribute at over 10, or both.

As for frantic matches, I've won many trophies by playing a slow, passing style.

Jumping beats all in FM07. I had a very average player in one of my career games, very poor technically, not up to much mentally but 20 for jumping. Signed him while in League 2, was a regular fixture years later in my Premiership team. Also, if utilized properly, pacey players would destroy all before them even when their technical attributes were atrocious.

By tempo, I did not mean tactics but rather the tempo of the whole game. You could play slow tactics but this didn't stop players charging around as if on steroids. They never stop running and there are no sudden changes of pace by any players. Passing is very high tempo all around as well. You hardly notice it though until you try 08 or 09. Tempo is definitely much more realistic in the latter two versions.

Apart from that the ME was very solid. Definitely enjoyed it far more than 08. I only started playing 08 after the February patch, it was pretty much intolerable before it.

Jumping beats all in FM07. I had a very average player in one of my career games, very poor technically, not up to much mentally but 20 for jumping. Signed him while in League 2, was a regular fixture years later in my Premiership team. Also, if utilized properly, pacey players would destroy all before them even when their technical attributes were atrocious.

I'm not too sure about that. If it was one player, it could be a case of his ability being better than his attributes/scout report suggests. Great headerers are going to be game-changers if you play the ball in the air.

I've been up against strikers who were only scary because of their 20/20 acceleration/pace, but in the end I don't remember these strikers scoring more than one or two goals, if that, over a decade against me and I don't treat them differently to slower players of the same position.

I'm not too sure about that. If it was one player, it could be a case of his ability being better than his attributes/scout report suggests. Great headerers are going to be game-changers if you play the ball in the air.

I've been up against strikers who were only scary because of their 20/20 acceleration/pace, but in the end I don't remember these strikers scoring more than one or two goals, if that, over a decade against me and I don't treat them differently to slower players of the same position.

The domination of physical players was definitely a known issue at the time, recognized by most players. Eddie Johnson (the American) was the most obvious example of this, by far the best striker in the game despite his average technical and mental stats. As for the player in my example being better than the scout reports suggest, I didn't judge him by reports but rather his attributes. And he had heading below 10. There's no way he should have been able to play in the top division but he managed just fine.

I think that FM08 regens were quite good apart from poor physical stats and poor penalty taking stats.

Exactly waht Tom said for me. I had no problems with regens, but the majority of them had pretty bad and varied physical stats. For example, great natural fitness but everything else really low, but then fantastic technical stats(besides penalty)

The lack of wonderkids wasn't the biggest problem with it though. The fact that there were only a handful of good players meant that the human player could cherry pick all the good ones while the AI would go for high CA/PA players who were terribly unbalanced and/or never able to get near their potential because of the low developing rate. So you'll probably end up utterly dominating your league if you get past a certain point.

completely agree with this, the game was no fun after about 6/7 seasons

with the new version, the problem still exists but not half as bad as in 08

Im currently in my 2013/14 season and doing a player search on players under 21 is a little depressing, only 3 wonderkids and only one of these considered as leading star by my scouts

IRL at any one time there will always large selection of players under 21 who could be considered wonderkisds and good enough for the biggest teams

to name a few at the moment

Messi

Richards

Pato

Walcott

Benzema

Aguero

Bojan

Higuain

Javi Martinez

Archived