Getting Fullbacks to close down and tackle wingers

Hi all,

I'm seeing over and over again, that seemingly no matter what instructions I give my fullbacks, they are unable to close down and prevent runs from wingers and opposition fullbacks. It's like the player on the ball has a little forcefield around them that stops my fullback getting within a metre of them. I keep seeing the opposition pick up the ball on or around the half way line, and even if my fullback has good field position they will not close enough to prevent the run to the byline. This also means that when opposition crosses are deep they often end up with the winger having an unchallenged attempt on goal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

A little tip i picked up recently, set the FB's mentality and closing down to the same level. Since doing this FB play has been a lot better, for me anyway.

Obviously does not work if you use attacking FB's or WB's :)

A little tip i picked up recently, set the FB's mentality and closing down to the same level. Since doing this FB play has been a lot better, for me anyway.

Obviously does not work if you use attacking FB's or WB's :)

I've tried all sorts of different combinations of closing down and mentality but still no success...

My whole back line has the Mentality and closing down set the same, 5 and 5 respectively, apart from one of the CB's usually my best, fastest CB who has a mentality setting of 4, that's so he can cover for the other CB if somebody gets in behind.

More often then not i have the best defensive record at the end of the season, so it works for me at least.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=56066

Posted in there about it, saves me typing off the top of my head :D Basically it's about separation and the various sliders that affect this, most of which are common sense.

Keep in mind that the paths that full backs take when closing down which are out of your control contribute to the issue. It's been posted as a possible match engine issue but it may well be attribute related as the better full backs (EPL Clichy, Cole, etc) appear to do it less often. Although I admittedly feel no professional player would take the line FBs sometimes take but that's another story ;)

Archived