Goal getting wingers

Im playing a 4-3-3 with AML and AMR with some success but what is disappointing is that my two wingers never score, or even have any shots. Instead they always look to go outside the fullback and put in crosses.

Im really looking to replicate the free-scoring wingers of recent years such as ronaldo at man u and duff and robben at chelsea.

Can anyone help me with any tactics they have found that encourage the wingers to shoot?

Set crossing to mixed if it is set to often now. Setting it to often instructs your wingers to go outside and try to get in position for a cross.

Set cross from deep if you are still not satisfied, this way once they are higher up the pitch they will not look to cross.

Have them on high creative freedom / free role could also do the trick (used in conjunction with point 1 or not).

the best method i have found recently is if your using your wingers in the AML or AMR postion, set there forward runs to rarely and and set your fullbacks to an attacking mentality and forward runs on often. Make sure they have RWB on often and crossing on rarley or mixed.

doing this makes your fullbacks overlap and force your strikers to cut in and look for a pass or shot.

Since applying this i have got C. Ronaldo to score 8 goals in 10 games from the left wing playing a 4-2-2-2, Hope that helps :)

Wow I tried this and it works amazingly. My wingers have great dribbling skills and they dribble it into the box from deep and I end up having so many CCCs. Just spanked chelsea 5-0 at home and in 6 games I think I have averaged 3.5 goals a game...conceding 0!!

I have had some decent success getting my wingers to score, I have been playing them in the AML & AMR positions with forward runs set to often.

I have also had them set to run with ball often and cross ball often. Oh, and I set my focus passing to down both flanks. Very important you do this. If you're set to through the middle, most of your play will be through the middle and the wingers will be ignored. What I noticed from watching the highlights is that one of them would run down the wing and whip the ball in, the other guy on the other side would be lurking around the 6 yard box for a tap in on volley depending how high the cross was.

the best method i have found recently is if your using your wingers in the AML or AMR postion, set there forward runs to rarely and and set your fullbacks to an attacking mentality and forward runs on often. Make sure they have RWB on often and crossing on rarley or mixed.

doing this makes your fullbacks overlap and force your strikers to cut in and look for a pass or shot.

Since applying this i have got C. Ronaldo to score 8 goals in 10 games from the left wing playing a 4-2-2-2, Hope that helps

Genius noticed that my wing backs have great crossing ability and this would work perfectly. i quite often only play one striker so i need my midfield to bag a few goals.

What I have started doing is to play them in the AML / AMR role and ask them to keep switching with each other even if they can't play the others role you will then see them turn the full back and cut inside more and get freedom to take shots and that has made them quite free scoring for me.

Crossing wise tell them to get to the byline and mix the crosses from there works well for creating.

What I have started doing is to play them in the AML / AMR role and ask them to keep switching with each other even if they can't play the others role you will then see them turn the full back and cut inside more and get freedom to take shots and that has made them quite free scoring for me.

Crossing wise tell them to get to the byline and mix the crosses from there works well for creating.

Yes, I have got my wingers switching but it seems to make do difference. what mentality do you have your wingers on compared to your FC?

Wow I tried this and it works amazingly. My wingers have great dribbling skills and they dribble it into the box from deep and I end up having so many CCCs. Just spanked chelsea 5-0 at home and in 6 games I think I have averaged 3.5 goals a game...conceding 0!!

sounds good... im glad it works for you ive got messi and ronaldo so i had to get them to cut in otherwise they would have been completley wasted.

hi guys im getting a really annoying prob with my wingers, i have the set to fwr rarely they are both on an att ment, my full backs are on fwr often and on a normal ment the thing is my full backs get forward no problem but its my full backs that seem to be the ones cutting inside the wingers! my wingers stay out wide all the time, i set the crossing to rarely as well so they end up dribling in a running into my full backs so annoying, anyone else have the same prob im playing a 4-2-3-1 system if it helps

cheers

One other thing to try is to make their passing shorter - this forces them inside and to keep the ball. Much more likely to lay it off, go for the 1-2, dribble inside etc... drool!

I am playing 4-1-2-2-1 aka the Chelsea formation and loving it!

What settings are your wingers on? mentality, creativity, crossing etc.

maybe you could post your tactic?

How have your wingers been doing goals and assists wise?

I see here is helping community so i tought gave it a go and ask one thing that bothers me for 3 Fm so far :( What i want is not only to have wingers score more goal, I want them to play like Second Strikers behind the attacker, the same style of play Messi plays in Barcelona and Ronaldinho played while in Barcelona. I really try hard and checked everything but cant get it right. There can happen few games where my winger (AMR/AML) would get the ball and go running opposingly at the 16-yard box causing havoc in opposition defence, dribbling past the player and scoring goals, i was delighted but that happen only few times. I just cant get that style of game, to get my players think and play like that, same Barcelona played under Rijkaard and now under Guardiola. They rarely cross, wingers always take the ball and instead to go to byline to cross they go down the field to attack and i think that is impossible in this FM 09 cause they removed arrows, now they are symbol for forward runs instead of player moving :( If anyone can help me i would be gratefull cause i cant solve the problem. My formation is of course 4-3-3 like Barcelona (Rijkaard, Guardiola) and Chelsea (Mourinho) played. Thx in advance.

I also tought it is impossible, at least it seems so, I bet many ppl wanted to have their wingers play messy style (not similiar, exactly, if it is possible in real life why it cant be done in FM if it is "realistic game") but it looks impossible to do it in FM, and what is more dissapoiting is that SI done nothing about it :(

Archived