Set Pieces

I haven't seen anything on this (if the there is please direct me).

I have played many saves now, with many successful runs in leagues and cups, and some not so. I like certain tactics moreso than others, but I can be flexible with this. However, there is one thing that I also neglect, set-piece routines. I think that the main reason for this is my Rafael Benitez style rotation policy which means that should I swap (for example) a centre back with good heading for one with less so, then I would also have to adjust the routine. Could somebody please enlighten me on what some good routines are on FM09 (especially defensively as I find myself conceding a lot from these situtaions). (If it helps I'm Manchester City at the moment).

For defending corners I follow the advice I read elsewhere:

Set your wingers to mark the posts. Set a strong attacking player to stay forward. Set everyone else to man mark (mark tall for your centre backs).

In my Newcastle save I would generally get a header in by Coloccini and someone would follow up with a hoofed clearance to Owen. Granted, he's not strong, but he is clever and would generally hold on the ball long enough to draw a foul or squirt a pass out to an advancing winger.

When it comes to attacking, I think to get the best out of your routines you have to set it specific to your players' attributes. However, a decent tactic is to put your strongest player with good heading on the keeper, another good header on attack near post and good anticipation on the far post. The rest on forward, bar two or three who stay back. I guarantee there's better, but with decent players it should be good for 5+ goals a season - often from the player challenging the keeper, rather than 1 or 2 with the default routine.

Thanks very much ZdlR, just a question on the attacking set piece, when you use this setting do you change it if you change team. (for example I might have my right-back (Micah Richards)to attack near post as he is good in the air, if he is banned for a game, or rested, and I play Darjio Srna right back then l won't want him there, do you address this on a match by match basis or leave it as it is and hope for the best? And also, do you keep the delivery as mixed?

I will definately be adopting that defensive style thoguh, thanks.

I address it match by match, yes. I always try to have strongest player with good heading on the keeper, best jumping/heading on attack near post and best acceleration/anticipation on attack far post. If I sub someone I change it, too.

I find once I get to know my players well it becomes reasonably easy to change the routines as necessary, on a match-match basis.

One thing I like, in a 442, is having my MCa lurk outside on attacking corners, and my MCd attack from deep.

A couple of things I'm not sure about are - 1. how many do you guys like in your walls for defending free kicks? and 2. what's your throw in set-ups for players?

EDIT: I always have my corners set to mixed; pinging them into the 6 yard box seems like cheating LOL.

Archived