Stopping being hit on the break

I currently have a problem with my team being hit by long through balls. I mostly play 4-4-1-1 standard from the TTF docs. But I just don't seem to be able to stop the opposition lumping the ball through my defense for any old player to latch onto, granted they mosty miss but I have seen it happen on an alarming regularity so it must be a problem with the TTF 4-4-1-1 tactic? I don't change anything from the standard tactic to start with but in game have tried dropping deep, narrowing the formation, playing defensively? 4 different CB's (partly due to injury) but it just seems to do nothing?

On a couple of occaisions my CB has totally missed the ball allowing the attacker to have a clear one on one with my keeper.

I'm Vicenza in Serie B if that helps anyone answer and I mostly play Di Cesare and Zanchi as my CB's but have played Sefyo Soley there once or twice. I'm about 5 games into the league and have played 3 cup games as well as 5-6 friendlies.

I currently have a problem with my team being hit by long through balls. I mostly play 4-4-1-1 standard from the TTF docs. But I just don't seem to be able to stop the opposition lumping the ball through my defense for any old player to latch onto, granted they mosty miss but I have seen it happen on an alarming regularity so it must be a problem with the TTF 4-4-1-1 tactic? I don't change anything from the standard tactic to start with but in game have tried dropping deep, narrowing the formation, playing defensively? 4 different CB's (partly due to injury) but it just seems to do nothing?

On a couple of occaisions my CB has totally missed the ball allowing the attacker to have a lear one on one with my keeper.

I'm Vicence in Serie B if that helps anyone answer and I mostly play Di Cesare and Zanchi as my CB's but have played Sefyo Soley there once or twice. I'm about 5 games into the league and have played 3 cup games as well as 5-6 friendlies.

You have two options, push up and play the offside tactic or drop deeper and deny space in behind.

Playing narrower should help as the full backs will be closer to the centre backs and should provide cover.

What marking system do you employ?

Another important thing is to stop these passes at source so don't allow the opposition time to get their head up and make a direct/long pass. This means closing them down effectively along with some possible tight marking.

Yes, I agree with footynut. As exemplified recently in the game between Liverpool and Arsenal, you can only push up if there is constant pressure on the ball. Otherwise, it becomes all too easy to be caught out by the long ball.

In 09, I would argue that defending deep, denying space and concentrating primarily on a solid defence is much more important - and rewarding. A good defence begets a confident attack. Or something.

You have two options, push up and play the offside tactic or drop deeper and deny space in behind.

Playing narrower should help as the full backs will be closer to the centre backs and should provide cover.

What marking system do you employ?

Another important thing is to stop these passes at source so don't allow the opposition time to get their head up and make a direct/long pass. This means closing them down effectively along with some possible tight marking.

I play man marking if I'm against 2 strikers or zonal if I'm against a lone striker (one of the CB's man marks him though) as I find if both are on man marking then they get pulled out of position picking up an AMC.

The majority of the time the long ball comes from their CB, Goalie or DMC though, so most of the default 4-4-1-1 tactic has closing down set really high for my attacking players anyway?

I have tried playing offside if I'm pushing up (which is rare to be honest) but mostly I think I end up dropping deep to try and counter this but it doesn't seem to help at all.

One thing I have noticed is if I play against a team with a 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 tactic they seem to absolutly dominate possession and shots although I can't figure out why I can't keep the ball playing a similar formation? Are they pushing up and short passing, they can't be playing direct or else surely my team would outnumber their lone striker and regain possession or is my team just *****?

I play man marking if I'm against 2 strikers or zonal if I'm against a lone striker (one of the CB's man marks him though) as I find if both are on man marking then they get pulled out of position picking up an AMC.

The majority of the time the long ball comes from their CB, Goalie or DMC though, so most of the default 4-4-1-1 tactic has closing down set really high for my attacking players anyway?

I have tried playing offside if I'm pushing up (which is rare to be honest) but mostly I think I end up dropping deep to try and counter this but it doesn't seem to help at all.

One thing I have noticed is if I play against a team with a 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 tactic they seem to absolutly dominate possession and shots although I can't figure out why I can't keep the ball playing a similar formation? Are they pushing up and short passing, they can't be playing direct or else surely my team would outnumber their lone striker and regain possession or is my team just *****?

I’m not a fan of man marking and always play a zonal system. Try using that and see if it helps.

If you’re opponents are dominating possession then you’re giving them too much time on the ball. You can have closing down settings really high but if your players aren’t in close contact with the opposition then by the time they’ve closed them down they’ve already made the pass. Try adjusting your mentality and defensive line so that you see your players in close contact.

You can have closing down settings really high but if your players aren’t in close contact with the opposition then by the time they’ve closed them down they’ve already made the pass.

Good point. I thought this might be the case but wasn't sure how to counter it. All closing down is doing is getting my team out of position and tiring them out. How would I go about adjusting my mentality and defensive line, drop a couple of notches at a time to see where they end up on the pitch?

I'm not sure what that means in match engine terms?

For example if my "Team Mentalitly" is set to mixed but "Individual Mentality" is set to range from attack to defend based on their role in the formation, i.e. CB set to all out defence which setting should I change? Team or Individual?

I take it setting DLine to Deep drops everyone further towards my 18 yard box? Setting it to Push up moves them away from my 18 yard box leaving a gap to be exposed to the long/direct pass?

Good point. I thought this might be the case but wasn't sure how to counter it. All closing down is doing is getting my team out of position and tiring them out. How would I go about adjusting my mentality and defensive line, drop a couple of notches at a time to see where they end up on the pitch?

I'm not sure what that means in match engine terms?

For example if my "Team Mentalitly" is set to mixed but "Individual Mentality" is set to range from attack to defend based on their role in the formation, i.e. CB set to all out defence which setting should I change? Team or Individual?

I take it setting DLine to Deep drops everyone further towards my 18 yard box? Setting it to Push up moves them away from my 18 yard box leaving a gap to be exposed to the long/direct pass?

Closing down is important but you’re right that some players are better at heavy closing down than others. Look for their stamina and work rate stats.

If you’re opponents are getting too much time on the ball and you want to play aggressively, then you need to push up your defensive line.

Individual mentality settings override team settings so if you want to keep your team compact adjust them all. Don’t have too large a gap between you’re lowest and highest mentality.

You’re right with your understanding of how the defensive line works.

Archived