And Adopted Scouser

uskopite

The Adopted Scouser

All of my mates are absolutely jealous. Even the ones who were born blues. Because we all know that “Once a Blue, Always a Blue†Right (wink, wink) even if your best mate ends up living the dream of playing football. And for me, it was going to be absolute Heaven. Liverpool Football Club.

When Rafa Benitez came to the club, few could have foreseen the massive good fortune the club would immediately experience. In just one season, Rafa the Gaffa had managed a feat the many Reds had thought was now only a part of their growing distant pass. To be crowned the Kings of Europe, and win the European Cup (modern day Champions League). This, despite a woefully poor performance in the English Premiere League, finishing fifth, behind the Bitters of Everton for that matter. Symptomatic to this poor form in the League was also the substandard quality of players coming out of the youth system at the Academy. A system that had produced the likes of my heroes, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, had since grown silent, with only the occasional bright spot, such as John Welsh and Steven Warnock who were fighting a loosing battle trying to find their way into Anfield’s first team. The Academy suffered for quality, and so Rafa started redistributing scouts, trying to haul in fresh talent in places as yet un-plundered by other massive clubs, particularly Arsenal and Man United. And so many new faces have popped up at Anfield. Faces like mine.

But how could an American, from a country also suffering from lack of natural football abilities, whose best atheletes stopped playing football, or soccer, long before they reached a proper age, end up at Anfeild. Actually, I am a half breed. My dad was a service member in the US Air force, stationed oversees at Upper Heyford, England in 1982. That’s were he met me mum. I was actually the third of three boys in the Murphy Family. Yeah, that’s right, my dad is a half breed too. Half American Yankee, half Irish. And so in 1988, another mutt was brought into this world. I’m half English, half Irish, half Yank.

And yet now here I was an adopted Scouser Playing for the Under 18 Team. My dad finished out his term of service in the Air Force, and we moved to Liverpool when I was fourteen. Back to the heartland.

I actually started playing soccer (henceforth to be known as football) when most American’s were giving it up for Baseball and Basketball, and American Football. But even with a late start, football just seemed to come natural. I was actually discovered by the legendary “Colossus†Ron Yeats, during the yearly Boys City tournament, the finalists of which get to play at Anfield for the title. I must say I naturally stood out a little bit from the crowd anyways being some what of a Colossus myself at 6’6. However, instead of drawing comparisons with the likes of Ron Yeats, I took a lot of stick for being much more similar in appearance to Peter Crouch – and had earned the nickname “beanpole†(or “lanky streak of ****†if you talk to me Everton mates). In any case, I must have really made and impression on Mr. Yeats during the tournament, having scored twice on lofted ball into the box off corners, one from a booming free kick near 30 yards back, and two straight up the gut determined dribbles. Unfortunately we lost in peno’s, thanks in no small part to my pathetic contribution, loosing 5-4 after I launched a screamer into the Kop. (Gutted, really. Vowed to never take another peno again after that.) Mr. Yeats got in touch with my coach and my Dad, with an eye to bringing me into the Academy at the end of June. I know that age seventeen was a little late to be starting my apprenticeship with the Reds. It was apparent that I had a lot of growing to do – physically, mentally, and learning the tricks of my trade – but by all accounts the staff at the Academy felt that I had incredible talent for my age, and that I basically had the world at my feet.

I was one of several youth players that were brought into the club to re infuse Anfeild’s drive to return to the glory years brought about by Shankly and Paisly. I was determined to find my spot at the Academy, but greater still, I dreamed of one day repeating the incredible feat of my Kop heroes, and lift the European Cup for Liverpool FC. But for now, I just had to concentrate on not getting kicked by that Hobbs bloke they just brought in from Lincoln.

Note From the author: I always loved reading these managers stories. Some of them are extremely well thought out and creative. I thought I might give it a try, but I wanted to do this from a little bit different perspective; from the players point of view. I am sure there are going to be unforeseen difficulties in presenting this story, but I hope that you enjoy this fresh perspective. I’m still setting up the database and the team, but am looking forward to this scenario. Should be a learning experience for everybody.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Adopted Scouser

All of my mates are absolutely jealous. Even the ones who were born blues. Because we all know that “Once a Blue, Always a Blue†Right (wink, wink) even if your best mate ends up living the dream of playing football. And for me, it was going to be absolute Heaven. Liverpool Football Club.

When Rafa Benitez came to the club, few could have foreseen the massive good fortune the club would immediately experience. In just one season, Rafa the Gaffa had managed a feat the many Reds had thought was now only a part of their growing distant pass. To be crowned the Kings of Europe, and win the European Cup (modern day Champions League). This, despite a woefully poor performance in the English Premiere League, finishing fifth, behind the Bitters of Everton for that matter. Symptomatic to this poor form in the League was also the substandard quality of players coming out of the youth system at the Academy. A system that had produced the likes of my heroes, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, had since grown silent, with only the occasional bright spot, such as John Welsh and Steven Warnock who were fighting a loosing battle trying to find their way into Anfield’s first team. The Academy suffered for quality, and so Rafa started redistributing scouts, trying to haul in fresh talent in places as yet un-plundered by other massive clubs, particularly Arsenal and Man United. And so many new faces have popped up at Anfield. Faces like mine.

But how could an American, from a country also suffering from lack of natural football abilities, whose best atheletes stopped playing football, or soccer, long before they reached a proper age, end up at Anfeild. Actually, I am a half breed. My dad was a service member in the US Air force, stationed oversees at Upper Heyford, England in 1982. That’s were he met me mum. I was actually the third of three boys in the Murphy Family. Yeah, that’s right, my dad is a half breed too. Half American Yankee, half Irish. And so in 1988, another mutt was brought into this world. I’m half English, half Irish, half Yank.

And yet now here I was an adopted Scouser Playing for the Under 18 Team. My dad finished out his term of service in the Air Force, and we moved to Liverpool when I was fourteen. Back to the heartland.

I actually started playing soccer (henceforth to be known as football) when most American’s were giving it up for Baseball and Basketball, and American Football. But even with a late start, football just seemed to come natural. I was actually discovered by the legendary “Colossus†Ron Yeats, during the yearly Boys City tournament, the finalists of which get to play at Anfield for the title. I must say I naturally stood out a little bit from the crowd anyways being some what of a Colossus myself at 6’6. However, instead of drawing comparisons with the likes of Ron Yeats, I took a lot of stick for being much more similar in appearance to Peter Crouch – and had earned the nickname “beanpole†(or “lanky streak of ****†if you talk to me Everton mates). In any case, I must have really made and impression on Mr. Yeats during the tournament, having scored twice on lofted ball into the box off corners, one from a booming free kick near 30 yards back, and two straight up the gut determined dribbles. Unfortunately we lost in peno’s, thanks in no small part to my pathetic contribution, loosing 5-4 after I launched a screamer into the Kop. (Gutted, really. Vowed to never take another peno again after that.) Mr. Yeats got in touch with my coach and my Dad, with an eye to bringing me into the Academy at the end of June. I know that age seventeen was a little late to be starting my apprenticeship with the Reds. It was apparent that I had a lot of growing to do – physically, mentally, and learning the tricks of my trade – but by all accounts the staff at the Academy felt that I had incredible talent for my age, and that I basically had the world at my feet.

I was one of several youth players that were brought into the club to re infuse Anfeild’s drive to return to the glory years brought about by Shankly and Paisly. I was determined to find my spot at the Academy, but greater still, I dreamed of one day repeating the incredible feat of my Kop heroes, and lift the European Cup for Liverpool FC. But for now, I just had to concentrate on not getting kicked by that Hobbs bloke they just brought in from Lincoln.

Note From the author: I always loved reading these managers stories. Some of them are extremely well thought out and creative. I thought I might give it a try, but I wanted to do this from a little bit different perspective; from the players point of view. I am sure there are going to be unforeseen difficulties in presenting this story, but I hope that you enjoy this fresh perspective. I’m still setting up the database and the team, but am looking forward to this scenario. Should be a learning experience for everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

"Liverpool may have the financial wealth to compete for the best players from around the globe, but their decision to fund and build a multi-million pound Academy five years ago demonstrated their desire to continue to nurture and develop their own young talent.

Under the guidance of Academy Director and Liverpool legend Steve Heighway, the Academy is a world-class facility designed to give every young boy on the club's books the best possible chance of following in the footsteps of some of the club's greatest players.

Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman and Jamie Carragher all came through the youth ranks of Liverpool FC to prove that locally produced players can develop into world class stars having been groomed by the Reds from an early age. Hopefully there will be many more on the way over the coming years." (LiverpoolFC)

24 June 2005 --

I thought that playing at Anfield during the city finals was pretty imposing. For some reason, and I was soon to find out why, coming to the Academy made me feel about 10 times smaller. Training and the new year essentially kicked off on the 1st of July, but myself and a few of the other new lads were invited to come in a bit earlier to help in acclimatizing to the facilities and start growing into the culture that we would be moving into. I'd actually taken a tour of the Academy a couple of times before. Then, only as a curious spectator, I felt a sense of envy to those boys and young men who filled these halls and fields during the year, all seeking move up to the next level, and perhaps realize their dream to moving on to Melwood and Anfield glory. However, this time, as a young man come to actually ply my trade here, and arriving with 8 others who would surely been seen as mercenaries in the eyes of many of the young men who had been playing in the Liverpool youth system since even before the Academy was built, there was more of a sensation of being very small, and almost as if I were farther away from Anfield and Melwood than I had been before this whole journey started.

As we all walked the grounds together I quickly realized there was quite a bit of foreign blood that would soon be pumping from the heart of LFC. Not only that, but these were very talented young men to who would surely be cutting to the head of the line in terms of those young men who would be invited to continue on to Melwood and the Reserve Team. These were young men of an incredible footballing pedigree from all over Europe.

We were able to kick the ball around quite a bit on a few of the practice fields there during that first week there, and I got to know little bit about the guys during that time. One thing was for certain -- we'd better hope that football really was the universal language, because most of us had no idea what the other was going on about -- Real tower of Babel type stuff.

(player intros soon)

-----------------------------------------------

Jonathan Legear (AM RL - Belgian - 17)

Of all the young men coming in that day, Jonather Legear stood the most chance of being recognized. He had already featured twice for his the Belgian U 18 squad, and possessed enough of an all around game to feature in many of the sides in the English Championship League successfuly. ALthough not extremely quick, Legear was good on the ball, small and agile, and creative enough to push past most fullbacks and get in a good cross. It was evident that it wouldn't take long for Legear to be one of the best crossers of the ball at the Academy, much less at LFC. Legear also was able to sneak into the box occasionally and stroke a good shot to bulge the nets, but he would almost certainly earn plaudits for how he played into his team mates and set them up for success.

-------------------------------------------

Alejandro Sanchez Fernandez (SC - Spanish - 17) At first look Alajandro seemed to smack of everything that would suggest he would be top class. Anything that came to his feet within 15 yards of the net, would almost unfailingly find the keeper picking it out of the back of the net. He would probably get pushed around quite a bit from the typical "English" type Half Backs like Hobbs, but some how he doggedly pushed through to the spot. However, most things that came to him in the air could end up just about anywhere but on goal, including off his face -- so the coach would likely not be using him as a target man anytime soon. Alejandro also had a impeccable sense of positioning on the pitch and could feel his teammates around him. Unfortunately he also had and increadible predilection to botching all but the shortest of passes, so even if he saw you, the chances of a cross or a pass making it to you was slim and none.

--------------------------------

Thomas Mangani (D/DM LC - French - 17)

Here was a long term project if there ever was one. Rafa seemed pretty big on Mangani, though none of us really understood why. He was not really good at anything except hanging about like an annoying gnat! But I suppose he did that well enough to take you out of the game at stretches. He wasn't an athelete per se, but seemed to know what it took to improve the team, although what that was, I couldn't really figure out. But Mangani was good natured, and a likeable fellow. Who knows. He might be able to hang around long enough to fullfil something of that promise that Rafa saw in him.

--------------------------------------------

Antonio Barragan – (D/DM C – Spanish – 17) One of the first of Rafa’s targets as he looked to restructure the youth system, so Antonio comes with extra expectation on his shoulders – and he’s Spanish to boot. Many fans are hoping that Rafa can take advantage of the Spanish market, just as Wenger has been able to pillage the French youth market in finding gems in the rough. Well, Barragan is pretty rough, but there are lots of good signs that he may turn out to be just the gem Liverpool were looking for. He’s strong and tall but hasn’t quite learned to use his height to his advantage yet. He is aggressive and strong in the tackle, but tends to back out of some challenges, and isn’t quite as committed as you would want from a commanding center back. He will almost certainly dominate in the youth side, but will he believe in himself enough to make it further is the main question.

--------------------------------------------

Simone Bertini (D R - Italian - 17)

Just about the only positive thing that you could say about Simone Bertini was that he was promising. He was good at his trade up and down the right side of the defense, and could put you off your game by getting a foot in at the opportune moment. But you just couldn't like Simone as a team mate. The guy was a bit of a *****, a loner, and somewhat of a selfish arse. He never really let himself get into a position where he would look bad, and consequently never seemed very commited to anything but himself. But I suppose you don't really have to be everybodies friend to be a good football player. Hell, Lee Boyer has somehow managed to make a living at the game, and nobody likes that SOB. So maybe Bertini could do a job for Liverpool.

---------------------------------------------

Nothing makes a club more dear to the heart of the locals than to have a good strong local representation. Old sayings die hard, and "Keep Liverpool Scouse: I'm sure will be one of the last to go. And while Yeats and the scouting crew always look to give any boy with promise a fair look, they were being more than just patriotic when they swooped into register a couple of local lads who seemed ready to make good.

Ronnie Bridges (AM RC - English - 17)

Ronnie was born not far off from the Merseyside - in Chester. Ronnie was absolutely solid in everyway. Big, strong, and nimble -- many saw in Ronnie for the Academy side, what Steven Gerrard is for Liverpool. The Captain, and perhaps the engine to make the team go. People just respond to Ronnie for some reason, and he was definately one to stick a boot up your arse if you weren't pulling you own. Ronnie may have featured sooner on the higher developmental stages were it not for his weight problem early on. He worked hard to throw off this weight, but it would likely be something that would always haunt him -- Food was the only thing he loved more than football. Picture a 6 foot Rooney and there you had it.

Mark Noble (AM LC - English - 17)

another local lad, born in nearby Wrexham. Mark was actually taken into the vaunted West Ham youth system after his dad made a move to that area for job considerations. Mark was to one of a long line of prodigies produced by that system. However, when it came time to extending the lad his first real contract, there was some hmmming and hawing, so Rafa swooped in to hijack thier plans, with an eye to featuring Mark relatively quickly in the full liverpool side. While Ronnie Bridges would be seen in the mold of Steven Gerrard for his ability to gee up the team, surely Mark was more along the lines of the athelete that fans expect of their heroes. Many would feel that liverpool paid a little over the top for Mark as an unproven player at the top level, having settled accounts with West Ham for an outrageous 4.5 million pounds. This has served as a bit of an embarrassment for the lad and has really unsettled him, knowing that much would be expected of him, and soon!! Mark has an array of tricks to pull from in order to get around his man and get a quick clean cross into the box. He was pretty good all around, and would be another lad not long for the under 18 team, but I planned to enjoy playing with him and learning from him while he was around.

Jack Hobbs -- (DC - English - 16) Jack Hobbs was another case where a young player was being dealt with in an oddly careless manner and Liverpool swooped in to make an irrestable offer to the lad. This time it was Arsenal at the fumble for this talent from Lincoln. Jack was here on a trial period, just to be sure, but it didn't take us long to see the quality in technique there. Surely joining the squad would be liitle more than a formality after they saw Hobbsies composure on the pitch and the skill with which he struck a ball. He still had a long way to go in order to be an effective defensive player, but all of the peices were there or not far off.

First Team Friendly -- You're avin a laugh!

July 1-15

By the time July had rolled around, things had begun around the Academy in earnest. Many of the previous members of the U-18 squad began showing up - guys like Lee Peltier, Calum Woods, John Paul Kelly, James Frayne, Jordan Holmes, et al. You can imagine that the initial reception was strained at best, because in many cases, we represented the end of some of these guys footballing careers at LFC. It would remain to be seen who would get their walking papers, but it was evident that big changes were coming.

Pre-season training was headed up by Mr. John Owens, the head coach and assistant team manager to Pako Ayesteran. Pako had a special interest in making sure the youth program suceeded. As Rafa's right hand man, Pako would closely follow our development as that would surely signal Rafa's legacy at the club.

Workouts were absolutely brutal. 3 a-days! And that was going to be standard for the year! Get used to it? Geesh, more like just be glad we get evening to recover. Mr. Owens didn't take much to whining at all, and just as any good task master would do, he let on that there was a nice reward in the not to distant future for those of us who excelled during these first few weeks.

9 July

"Legend wall --

Our legends wall celebrates the achievements of the likes of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan and obviously Steve Heighway, who played over 300 times for the first team and is one of the most famous legends that we have.

We never forget where we've been because these guys were the start of the regeneration of Liverpool Football Club. We're doing well and we're playing in a difficult environment and a difficult time for football, but we'll make it." (LiverpoolFC Offal)

Mr. Owens called us together on the eve of 8th at Legend Wall. We thought this was going to be our first day off from training since we got, here - a chance to lick our wounds and steel our minds for the upcoming week. Now the sadistic bastard was going to take this day too. Slowly the lot of us came together, still pretty wary of one another mostly becuase of the inability to really hold a conversation off of the football pitch (with the foreign lads - for obvious reasonsicon_wink.gif) -- but there we were when Mr. Owen came up with a small group of other guys in tow . . . guys like Rafael Benitez, Pako Ayesteran, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher!!! Well, you don't think they call this Legend Wall for nothing. Feck if we weren't all completely huffed to be there at that moment in time. We practically mobbed the Liverpool Captains just to try and shake thier hands and get a word in. Ear splitting smiles all around. Just huffed!

Rafa calmed us down, and in his simple and honest ways, addressed us in his halting English. "You are all very impressive young men, and I have been watching your progress, many of you now for quite some time. You all have great potential and a great mentality -- and your time at the Academy will serve you well in developing your football possibilities. Many of you will soon join us in the first team in the future - some of you sooner than you think. Starting on Monday, all of you will begin training with Stevie, Jamie, and the rest of the Melwood team. We have some very interesting Friendlies scheduled, and some of you will have the opportunity to play with the First Team. We will be working very hard, and expect you will work hard too."

Absolutely tickled. Right blown away -- If that wasn't the best day yet in my life, then I don't know what was. A chance to play beside our Anfeild heros. I'm pretty sure we were all pretty made up - we were going to feature in those friendlies - somehow. All made up, except for Bertini, who it seemed couldn't have cared less. Or maybe he just didn't understand was was being said. First Team Friendly - your avin a laugh.

"It's the place where all the club's greatest players have learned their trade. The place where all the important tactical decisions and team selections which have taken the Reds to unparalleled success in the English game have been made.

Melwood has been Liverpool's training base since the days of Shankly and over recent years the complex in West Derby has undergone dramatic transformation. The Reds' board of directors have funded a multi-million pound renovation to give a world class set of players the world class facilities they deserve to help improve their game.

Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier was the mastermind behind the recent refurbishment." (LiverpoolFC Offal)

---------------------------------------------------------

Although it was made apparent that the switch to Melwood was only of temporary length, some of us couldn't help but feel like we had arrived. If we thought it was nice at the Academy, that was nothing compared to the facilities here at Melwood. You could excuse the public for thinking that these super-human athletes were a bit pampered. They'd be right. Relaxation Room, Pool, Recreation Room, luxury Dressing Rooms, Private Resturant, synthetic pitches. What a sight. What a taste. Really gave us something to remember after we would return to the Academy. Even for the guys who had been at the Academy in years past, this was a unique treat. Training at Melwood.

Well, the pleasantries came to an end pretty quickly when we realized on Monday that Melwood had also turned into somewhat of a Boot Camp for football players. Rafa was pretty intent on having a team that was fit enough to compete in all four cups that year, and the only way to bring that about was through hard work. In addition, this was really the first preseason that Rafa had to really work his ideas and try and put together the peices of the puzzle for the upcoming year. While last seasons success in the Champions League was mentioned a little, most of the talk was about putting that behind them and concentrating on the season at hand. Nay, the session at hand. Rafa had informed us and the Melwood team that there were three pre-season friendlies that we would be taking part in - not only to give us a taste of life at Liverpool, but also to bring about a change in mentality again. A return to the days when Liverpool had the best two squads in English football -- Liverpool Football Club, and Liverpool Football Clubs Reserves! Strength in depth, and quality in effort.

Practices would be largely conducted in groups of Defenders, Midfeilder, Strikers, and Keepers with at least one session per day when we were all brought together as a squad. I was a little dissapointed to be lumped in with the Defensive crew on the first day, but would never have let on. I was quickly humbled by the fact that Defenders the likes of Josemi, Steve Finnan, and Jamie Carragher all beat me easily for pace, strength of shot, accuracy of passing, and . . . well . . . pretty much everything that I thought it took to play Midfeild. So it was shut up, keep your head down, keep up and work hard at what I was about. Besides, there was no greater experience than to recieve a right bolluxing from Jamie Carragher. Love that man. Not much time for hero worship -- but there was a little. Above all else, though, I was intent on making one of those spots in the friendly on Friday mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spav:

You've made a really good start to your story. KUTGW icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Spav. Read your story - actually - read your stories, and they are all top notch. I noticed your question of (dis)ability also uses a Murphy as the character icon_cool.gif

BEST VIEW OF THE PITCH

Most days were heavily focused on fitness and strength training. Rafa and the staff were absolutely relentless in their pushing and prodding. "Boot Camp" was now fast becoming an understatement. I learned a few things about myself, and my body, and became acquainted with all manner of cramps to muscles I didn't know existed. kin'ell, I would bolt awake at NIGHTS with some bloody awful knot in my calf or thigh - but those moments were so bitter sweet. However, it was obvious that Rafa was springing his ideas of what he wanted to accomplish tactically and strategically that year, and we had a few drawing board sessions of what he expected come the 15th and the Freindly. Although I understood I wouldn't figure very much in the build up in open play, I was encouraged by the fact that Rafa included me in many of the drills focusing on set peices and corners - not only because I would have at least a small opportunity to contribute offensively, but also because that meant I was playing in the teams plans for the match. Surely I would at least feature in the match!

On the afternoon of the 14th, Rafa revealed to us his idea for the starting 11 . . . I would have the best view of the pitch . . . STARTING at left full back!!! icon_biggrin.gif They almost had to scratch me from the lineup - I think I pulled two or three muscles jumping for sheer delight at being included.

A couple of the other U-18 lads figured into the mix right away too -- Bertini at RB, Noble at RM. Overall it was a pretty good mix of Veterans, Reserve squad and Youth team. I was paired with Medjani at left center back and Harry Kewell on the left wing -- so we had a couple of tactical sessions together to work on timing and positioning. Heaven, mate. I tell you pure heaven.

Date: Friday 15th July 2005

Venue: The Abbey Stadium, Cambridge

Weather: Dry, 91 F

Attendance: 8931

In what appeared to be an 11th hour change of plans, Rafa decided to keep Noble and Bertini out of the starting 11, but kept them in the overall squad for matchday. Though Rafa didn't say why the change, it had to have been the breakdown in tactical communication observed during yesterdays late session. This change left me as the only Youth squad player still in the starting lineup.

As, pre-season friendly don't add up to so much as a pocket full of lint, most of the time I would spare you the dirty details -- but this was a special occasion. These were good times. I don't know what the Gaffa had in mind for the other friendlies, but I was going to try and take my chance here . . .

Unfortunately the elements and circumstances of the match conspired against me. The weather was bleating hot, sapping much of the enthusiasm for a good atmoshpere from the rather large pre-season crowd, and taking its immediate toll on me during the opening minutes of the game. I was so desperate to do well that I ended up blowing my wad in the first few mintues of the game, and spend the rest of the first half trying to catch my breath. It did not help that Rafa wanted to play a very high defensive line to keep the ball in the offensive end of the field, and I was much too quick to jump into and out of imagined breakaways and outlets only to scramble back to my position has we took possession again. Our build up play was embarrasing, and the fact that we were essentially Liverpool players from three different squads told the story of the half. The highlight for me was actually 6 minutes into the game. Still out of breath from the excitement of the moment, I managed to play a nice series of one touch balls with Harry Kewell and Momo Sissoko, slipping Harry a decent through ball into the corner. Harry would pretty much have his way with the Cambridge right fullback Stevland Angus all day, with first half strikers Peter Crouch and Djibril Cisse unable to get on the end of the crosses with any real venom. This time down though, Angus was able to deflect the cross behind for a corner. Kewell set up quickly for the corner, and before I really realized what was happening, the ball was whipped in to me at the front post. On another day I likely would have done something -- ANYTHING -- to get on the end of that, but Angus was the first to react, by a mile, and headed clear of the box.

Let's face facts. The game was bloody awful to watch. For all of our supposed talent, we were only able to muster 2 shots on goal all game! Fortunately for us the ball found it's way to the back of the net on those two shots. The first coming in the 36 minute, when King Luis Garcia combined with the former Boro man Bolo Zenden to create acres of space wide on the right side. Luis shaped a decent cross into the box that Cambridge Keeper Shaun Marshall intended to take off the head of Zenden who had wheeled towards the back post -- but everybody was shocked when the cross was literally hijacked by Peter Crouch near the penalty spot, who had simply to nod the ball into the vacuous goal.

Now, to call yourself a True Liverpudlian you really only need to meet two essential qualifications. 1) You have to have penned at least one original song dedicated to your current favorite player 2)You have to belt it out on the KOP for all to hear and take measure of. Crouchie was quickly becoming a fan favorite - or at least a favorite target. Surely he was tickled to hear the first of many songs penned in dedication to him:

He's big He's great

He's 6 foot fookin 8

Peter Crouch Peter Crouch

He's tall He's fine

He's 6 foot fookin 9

He's big, as BIG BEN

He's 6 foot fookin 10

I thought to myself -- Oh God what is going to happen if the Kop TURNS on Peter Crouch. Then I realized, Oh God, I'm at least as lanky as Crouchie, and likely much uglier -- The Kop is going to have a feild day with me. OH GOD!

The second half saw wholesale changes up and down the lineup as Rafa sought to paint an entirely new scenario for the opposition. I was stunned when I found myself still in the game during the final half hour of the match. . Our second goal came just minutes into the second half as Le Tallec came on for Josemi, and I was moved over to center back, given the same task of pressing the ball in an attempt to keep possession in their half. Initially the more offensive formation payed dividends as Tony Le Tallec was able to press forward with the ball. One such forray forward saw a through ball poorly cleared to the edge of the box, and I jumped into the play to keep offensive momentum going. Cambridge Center Back Paul Hudson rushed out stoutly to close down any potential shot, and as I moved away to find some space to pass, I found myself looking out of jersey's arm hole at the ball. The Ref really had no choice but to card Hudson for the shirt tug just out side of the box. Le Tallec, who had shown immediately shown himself to be dangerous, stepped up the thump the ball on goal. The initial strike left the goalie flat footed and merely a spectator as the ball thundered off the cross bar. Comically, the keeper had only just flinched when the thunderous ricochet came went careening off his shoulder into the back into his own net. The score keeper was soundly booed as he credited the Cambridge Keeper with an own goal minutes later, but Tony Le T still took applause from the crowd for his venemous effort.

My day dream finally came to an end in the 73rd minute during the third round of wholesale substitutions, and I left the feild with Luis Garcia, who would later take man of the match honors for his first half bit of magic leading to Crouch's goal. I watched as fellow team mates Callum Woods, Jordan Holmes, Simone Bertini, Mark Noble, and Alejandro Fernandez finished out the match without so much as the ball making it into the attacking third of either end.

I was fully knackered -- physically sure, but more so emotionally. I was able to play alongside such Anfeild heroes as Djibril Cisse, Dietmar Hammann, and Stevie Finnan. My only dissapointment was not to be able to play beside the true legends of Anfield, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher. There were still at least two friendlies left to play. Maybe then . . . Liverpool. Make us dream.

(Key Stats: Terry Murphy -- Rating 7 (73mins,20/26 passes (0 key),2/2 tackles won, 6/7 headers won (1 key), 3 interception, 0 runs, 0 offsides, 1 foul, 1 fouled, 0 Assists, 0/0 shots on target.)

16 July (Saturday) --

To throw a little twist into the pre season routine, Rafa had planned two additional Friendly games, in which the whole of LFC would play together on the pitch. In an effort to increase competition and fitness in the youth and reserve side, Rafa revealed that those players displaying the best form during the next few individual friendlies would surely feature in those matches.

As was customary, those of us who had played during the match were given the next day off training to recoup. I spent my freetime sitting in the bleachers watching the first teamers going about thier training in a professional manner. They seemed very to be decent guys, pretty down to earth, and extended a warm helping hand to the youth players if they stumbled during the drills.

17 July -- (Sunday)

The U-18 squads next friendly would be on the 19th of July against the small semi-professional club of Stockport. I was relieved to see that I was worked in with the Midfielders during the training sessions, and I knew that during our Friendlies, that would be where I would stake my case for inclusion in the combined friendlies.

-------------------------------------------

18 July (Monday, Day before the Friendly with Stockport)

Mr. Owens revealed our line up for the upcoming game. In most cases we would employ the customary 4-4-2 all year, barring injury. However, we would try to emulate the first teams tactics of have 1 holding midfeilder to break up any offensive build up, and at least one central midfielder who press forward in attack. I could play either role really, but as my true strength was in the air, I would more likely feature as either the more forward midfeilder, or give wide support. With several strong options in the midfeild, one of either Mangani, Bridges, Noble, Myself, or Leagear would be dropped from the starting lineup regularly. This time around Bridges would take his seat on the bench. Surely he would feature later in the game.

Two Minute Drill

Date: Friday 19th July 2005

Venue: Stockport Grounds, Stockport

Weather: Dry, 75 F

Attendance: 62

I had to laugh as we trotted out onto the pitch. I can't remember the last time I'd played in front of a crowd so small. Even in city league the number of parents and siblings in the crowd added up to more than 100. So today was a far cry from the 8900 attending the Abbey Stadium at cambridge.

When the whistle blew we immediately took possession of the ball, and for the majority of the match we were rarely troubled on our end of the field. I was playing in central midfield, and was told to be a little more defensive than usual, just in case we failed to click on offense got caught out on the break.

7th minute- In what will be a trend all match, the midfield has been given miles of space to work in, with most of the opposition sitting behind the ball. Still, Frayne is able to find a seam in the defense, and as he surges forward I play a 30 yard pass, sending him through clean on goal. Frayne is caught in two minds, trying to round the goalie, but seeing plenty of room in behind him, and his clumsy chip effort lands well past the end line.

20th minute -- Stockport continues to give away possession in the midfield, this time to Hobbs as he is pressuring forward. I drop back to take possession and again spot Frayne shoulder to shoulder with the last defender, as he breaks into the seam, in almost an identical move as before, I send him through. One on one, Frayne shapes to shoot as the Stockport Keeper charges to cut down the angle, and Frayne blazes wide again.

Mark Noble looked to have picked up a knock at some point during the beginning of the match, although I didn't see when it happened. He's obviously in a little pain which is slowing him up, but he's still capable on the pitch.

Early dominance changes into frustration as the early chances missed allow stockport to settle in. After a half chance from Noble in the 35th minute is claimed easily by the keeper, we can't get any pressure on goal until the closing minutes of the half when we have a flurry of 4 corner kicks. Alejandro Fernandez proved unlucky as twice his shots on goal from the corner are deflected unsighted just wide of the post, and we go into the half still even, nil nil.

Noble was taken off at the half, likely as a precaution against further injury, and just as likely for the purposes of giving Ronnie Bridges a good run out. To accomodate the change, Legear was switched over to the left side, leaving Bridges to sheriff the right half of the pitch and given order to be a little more direct in attack than Noble had been for us. Frayne too was taken off, and though he hadn't played badly, surely he should have taken one of his two clean chances. He was replaced by Irish U-18 international John Paul Kelly in order to give more confidence to the side and a fresh look.

46th minute- At the restart, we won an immediate corner off a hard forward charge by Kelly. Legear whipped the corner into the near post, right to Alejandro who had come completely unmarked, but we were all left holding our heads when his headed attempt (rather typically) found the wrong side of the netting. Kelly's injection into the game brought with it several good chances as he sent dangerous balls into the box, but some great keeping from the Stockport Keeper Mike Berry (and early favorite for man of the match) cut out many of those chances.

57th minute -- Hobbs, who was having a very consistent game, played through to Alejandro, whose driving run was pushed to a hard angle. Even from so difficult an angle, Alejandro squeezed off a decent shot which fairly enough beat the keeper, but unfortunately beat the far post too.

60th minute -- on field instruction to Bridges and Legear directed them to get the crosses in a bit sooner (i.e. not so deep) 1) to change the angle of attack, and 2) because Berry was taking too many of the crosses right off of Alejandro's head. Bridges first honest effort to do so came right to me. Still enjoying an embarrasing amount of space, I had time to turn and crack a 25 yarder which just whizzed wide of the post. Damn!!

67th minute - Stockports best, and ONLY real effort, came when a hopelessly long shot was blocked over the touchline by Hobbs. The ensuing corner kick came into to Stockport Defender Jamie Davies whose downward header looked promising, but was quickly scrambled away by an alert Mangani who had been guarding the near post.

71st minute - Successful attacks from the flanks continued to pour in, but Alejandro, though dominating the space up front, just couldn't find the magic final touch time after time. Coach Owens had finally seen enough, and decided to move me Forward to try and take advantage of my height. He subbed Alejandro out with Adam Hammil, moved Bridges to the center of the pitch, and asked Hammil and Legear to push wide again.

The move seemed to backfire as all attacks from the flanks seemed to dry up, and more and more we were lacking for any attacking ideas. As the fourth official raised the sign for a paltry two minutes of added time I shook my head, surrendering the the disbelief that with all of our chances (14) we couldn't register at least once. Nil nil . . .

Increadibly, Adam Hammil, whose entry into the game seemed to seal the tie, came to life as everybody else was packing it in. After intercepting a pass at midfield, he spun out of danger, and playing a quick one two with me, he was free running into space on the right flank. Not being a speed merchant, Hammil barely had time to catch up to the ball and hook it into the box as he was overtaken. But what a sublime cross it was, finding Legear cruising into the back post have lost his marker. With plenty of time and space Legear lashed a heavy volley past the stunned Stockport keeper. With the last kick of the game, Legear had broken parity - and in the process had likely cemented his place in the combined friendly coming up, and had taken man of the match honors. For a few days he would be a legend, as all who score in the 90th minute will be.

I myself had played well, but clearly the credit had to go to the defense and both Bertini and Hobbs whose constant upfield pressure fed the attack and choked out any thought of a loss.

(Terry Murphy (8) 90 mins: 41/46 passes (2 key), 2/3 tackles won, 5/5 headers won (1 Key), 0 intercepts, 3 run, 0 offsides, 0 fouls, 1 fouled, 1/2 shots on target, 0 goals, 0 assists.

On the coach ride home we found out that Liverpool FC had just then casually dispatched of Hartlepool FC at an away friendly. Hartlepool: 3-0 with Baros, Morientes, and Crouch all notching goals for the Reds. I could understand why we played Cambridge in the previous friendly, as it was actaully the debut of several youth players in the the senior squad. But why Hartlepool? I know that sometimes clubs will set up friendlies with smaller clubs as a favor, or a lead up to some bigger deal. This smacked of someone, somewhere greasing the skids. A visit to the Hartlepool website revealed that there was a lot of attention focused on a the gems in thier U-18 squad. Hmmm . . . Paul Lancaster had been the face of the youth squad between the sticks for quite sometime, but with the addition of Scott Carson and Pepe Reina, Paul recognized he stood very little chance of making his professional debut with Liverpool. He still kept our goal, but the rumor in the air was that he was looking to make the switch to a League two team. Hmmmm . . .

20 July -- Normally a day off training, but today was a travel day. Rafa and the staff looked to make camp in Germany for the next week, not only to get away from Merseyside and the mess in the media surrounding the clubs new signings, but also to step up the focus of the club to season ahead. To my knowledge, youth players were hardly ever invited to these away camps - but Rafa has shown himself to be a little unconventional when it came to his teams. I continually had to pinch myself just to make sure I wasn't dreaming all of this.

21 July --

A return to heavy training, still with the Midfielders. We all guessed that Mr. Owens had already sat down with Seniors Benitez and Ayesteran to discuss likely candidates for the Friendly coming up on the 23rd with the local German club RW-Essen. Legear would surely get a run out for that game. His crosses had already started to take on a more deadly shape, and his performance in our last game was inspirational. We also figured a couple of lads in the defense would figure in, but the rest of us had only these next couple of training sessions to prove that we deserved a spot on the field. And surely this time Gerrard and Carragher would feature in this side. You know, it's so much easier to run endless suicides when your day dreaming about running the pitch along side your heroes.

------------------------------------------

23 July --

No shock really when after the afternoon session the squad was announced for the next days friendly. Legear would feature from the start, along with Hobbs, whose last performance had all but sealed his permanent transfer to Liverpool Youth Academy. Bertini, myself, and Noble would sit the bench with an eye to coming in later in the game. There were back slaps from the guys in congrats for our selection (some of the slaps seemd a little too hard, maybe?), followed by our promises to do our young squad proud.

------------------------------------------------

The First of Many?

Date: Friday 23 July 2005

Venue: Georg-Melches Stadion, Essen

Weather: Dry, 57 F

Attendance: 15520

Though Liverpool FC had arrived at the lovely German town of Essen with much fanfare, and all the respect due the Champions Of Europe, after what can only be described as the complete and total drubbing of their beloved local team RW Essen, we quickly wore out our welcome. RW Essen was not a poor team by any stretch. Their recent success in the Northern Regional Division come off as clear champions last year, promised a competitive match for the combined LFC squad, and brought almost a record crowd to the Stadion. However, most of the competition was born of who could get their name in the stat sheet most.

We applauded Legear's run out with much enthusiasm, knowing that soon enough we too would be taking our place next to the senior squad members. Unfortunately for Legear, as soon as the whistle blew, he practically disappeared from the pitch, and through no fault of his own, was soon overshadowed by some great play on the other side of the pitch from senior members of the team.

Just 4 minutes into the game Milan Baros started off on a move that would serve as the intro to one of Liverpool’s most terrific individual performances witness in a long time. Riise headed off a weak attempt to push into the Liverpool area, and played a short ball to Baros standing not too far from the top of our circle. He proceeded to turn the Essen center back Haalstrup and full back Yildirim 4 times all the way up the length of pitch before coolly smashing a low 20 yard screamer to the left of the advancing keeper for the first goal of his truly sublime hatrick. The second came 6 minutes later, after Baros sent Kewell free on the left flank from Liverpool’s own half before racing into the Essen box and smashing a short cross from Kewell into the far post from an almost impossible angle; and the cap-stone came before the half hour mark, when Baros dummied a perfectly weighted Alonso through ball, dragging the whole of the Essen defense with him, and leaving Kewell to chase down field. Knowing what was on, Kewell held up the ball for Baros to race into the box with the defense following in shambles. In true Hollywood style, Baros timed his run at the cross to produce an amazingly acrobatic diving header, which even left the keeper clapping before pick the ball out of the far corner. The crowd might have been satisfied with the show on the evening had we stopped at just that, but soon the route was over, and the slaughter was on.

Sweeping changes at the half saw Bertini and Hobbs join 5 other players marking their spot in the lineup (including Crouch for Baros), but the defensive duo would have little to do for the remainder of the match, as Liverpool continued their ascendant offensive display.

Next to notch was Luis Garcia just 3 minutes after the restart when he took a Gerrard pass at half field, and attempted to duplicate Baros's feat of dribbling the length of the field to score. Really it was only a shadow of the incredible Baros dribble, as any of 3 Liverpool players had left their defensive marker behind and could have taken the Gerrard pass in an equally decisive manner to score.

Mark Noble made his debut in the 54th minute, and my heart sank to see him taking Gerrard spot on the field -- I would not be playing along side the Liverpool Captain this day either. I did come on 6 minutes after that, taking the center mid spot from Noble, pushing him to the left wing, where he would play a blinder for the remainder of the match.

The next to notch you say? Why, that was me! I would describe the chance taken as absolutely typical of what I would have to offer in the way of scoring for here on until the end of my footballing career. I will always have a good chance to beat my marker, no matter who, to a decent cross. I would have to work on making myself a better target, but this time my timing was on. In the 75th minute King Luis would turn provider for our 5th goal, working well with Cisse up the right flank to produce a crisp cross into the 6-yard box at the near post. A more aggressive and braver keeper would have come out to take the cross high, but Robert Wolnikowski had just come on the minute before, and had not even much time to pull the gloves on before he was picking the ball out of the back of his net off my head. Not at all sensational goal by any stretch, but terribly effective, and I had hopefully my first of many.

In the 81st, Noble's well weighted pass sent Cisse behind with plenty of time to decide how best to finish, opting to simply blast the ball from 10 yards out past the helpless keeper. Cisse could have been forgiven for the exuberance of his celebration, choosing to strike an iron man pose on the penalty spot, but the crowd had already seen enough, and the celebration chosen brought down a reign of boos from the masses as many left their seats to trudge miserably home. The few left would witness 7th and final tally in the 86th minute as Mark Noble stole Essen's corner attempt, charged down his flank, and produced a 40 yard bender which found Garcia in stride and the keeper so hopeless beat that Garcia could have pushed the ball across the line with his arse. On any other day, Nobles complete dominance of the left side of the pitch would have taken man of the match honors - but none could forget Baros' first half hat trick even though he never appeared during the second half.

Terry Murphy (Rating:8) 1 GOAL, 0 ASSITS - 29 mins, 6/6 passes (1 Key), 0/0 tackles won, 2/2 headers won (2 Key), 1 interception, 0 offides, 1 fouls, 0 fouled, 2/2 shots on target.

July 24 --

For those on the youth team, today was the end of training camp in Germany. There was one more Youth Freindly scheduled before the last Combined Friendly which would largely determine who got to play against the Spanish Giants Villareal on the 29th. Our freindly would go down on the 26th, so that would give us a few days together as a team to work on our tactics.

I was a little surprised at the small crowd that greeted us at the airport to welcome us home - with sign and everthing! One of my best mates from school days come up to me and slapped me on the back, proclaiming me a movie star and asked if he could have my autograph. I was wondering what he was on about, when he said "Wot? Didn't ya know? You and the lars were on the Tele! Big screen and all. Just big enuff to fit your head on to see you pot that goal! Brilliant. I can't believe you were on the tele with Carra and all. You lucky bugger!"

Turns out the the game WAS televised. And I was tickled to have scored, in apparently such an important game. Well not that important I guess. But the Academy team got alot of attention from the game, and those of us that had made it in the match would soon find that we had our own little fan clubs started! Surely there would be a little more attention paid on the Merseyside to the Youth team, even by the general public.

There had been more talk of more blood coming into the Academy since we had been gone. Especially of another striker and of course a keeper to take Lancaster spot when and if he left. I realized that over the next few days (years actually), many people would come up to me asking questions about this rumor and that rumor, expecting that I would have the inside knowledge of who we would be bringing into the team. Let me tell you straight out - Most of the time, I didn't have a clue either. We find out by watching the news and reading the rags just like everybody else. Carragher had an instant classic during the Steven Gerrard crisis at the beginning of the month. When Stevie had suddenly and with great drama declared that he was going to extend with the European Champions -- Jamie was sitting in the Melwood Cafateria watching the tele when the announcement was made, He spat out his cornflakes! icon_smile.gif

I like the way you are merging reality with fantasy. It will be tough to keep this up but it defo adds to the story for now. Great work. Where on earth do you find the time for this? I did a few Liverpool/England stories a couple of years back and I just could not keep it going - the last story nearly killed me!!

Thanks for the kind words Owen Goal. I am actually very conflicted about this story. I definitely want to reflect the current going on at the club, and will try to add things that true and passing Liverpool fans will nod knowingly about. But I’d also like to keep this game going for a long time, and at some point, the “new youth blood†is going to make and impact at the First Team level (maybe this year, maybe next – we’ll see how they develop) and that is going to affect the reality of the story. I’ve got a vague plan, but we’ll see how it plays out. As for where I find the time, well, I have pretty odd work schedule right now, which give me some free time – and my wife likes to do an online blog, which allows me the time to be creative along side her.

25th July –

Though still very fitness oriented, our training was starting to become a little more tactical, and we could see how our roles in the team would be playing in with one another. One thing was becoming very apparent. Mr. Owen and the assistant coaches were obviously frustrated at the lack of options that they had up front at striker. Alejandro so far hadn’t even had a sniff at the Combined friendlies, as he just wasn’t finding the back of the net in our training matches and the previous friendlies. He was suffering a little on confidence, but it was still very early, and real league competition hadn’t even started yet. Still, there was a lot of rumor about of who else would be coming to the club, or even up from the younger guys, to give Alejandro and Frayne more competition for their positions.

After the end of a long day, Coach put out his idea for what we were going to be going out with tomorrow. Adam Hammil had shown himself well at the end of our last youth friendly, as it was his play that really broke Legear loose for the goal, so Hammil was happy to see that he would be given a run out. Ronnie Bridges would also feature in the next run out, pushing Mark Noble to the bench for the mid field rotation. Coach toyed around a little bit with putting me up front as a Target Man to head down to Alejandro, but in the end he opted again for the two natural strikers in Frayne and Alejandro Fernandez, and would leave me in to roam the midfeild. At the back, David Barnes a hold over from last years youth squad, was showing well at LB, so he took his place in the starting line up. But the ultimate prize was still to be had in who would perform the best to be selected for the Villareal match.

EENY, MEENY, MINEY, MO . . .

Date: July 26th 2005

Venue: Wrexham Racecourse Grounds

Opponent: Oxford United (Full Team)

Weather: Dry, 75 F

Attendance: 891

Except on very rare occasions, the youths team of the Academy would play their home games at nearby Wrexham Racecourse Grounds, were, of course, the local English League Two Team of Wrexham played their home games. All of the local smaller Pro teams had a pretty friendly and professional relationship with Liverpool FC. Several times Liverpool had stepped in with “favors†for the local teams – always looking to push good young players in their direction if their future wasn’t with the team – or playing friendlies with them to bring in a goodly sum of money to keep their coffers filled and the league administrators off their back. And, of course, the Liverpool Academy had for a long time, and would for as long as the Wrexham was around, feature at their grounds.

I was very pleased to see that there were quite a few people in the stands come to see the future blood of Anfield play, and was told that we could expect about 900 or so fans at each game. This was an extremely respectable crowd for a youth team, and usually very featured knowledgeable fans. Many were regulars of Anfield also, so there would occasionally be the same sort of song and traditional displays you could expect to see in the KOP, but that was rare. Still it was very encouraging to see that we were well supported.

Oxford was a very respectable club, and had just won promotion to the English First League as Champions of the Second League in 2004/05; so this would be a very tough match for us, and should have provided a test for our defensive unit as well as test how our build up play was developing. Their best player was a Gary Cahill, an outstanding youth prospect from Aston Villa at Oxford to get good first team experience. Cahill would be a thorn in our side the entire match as he roamed the center of the pitch with impunity and snuffed out several promising build ups with timely interventions. We also had quite a time trying to track down and contain Tommy Mooney (last seasons leading scorer with 18 goals) and Lee Bradbury, who would like up several times through out the match to produce dangerous situation in our end of the pitch. Their best opportunity came in the 11th minute of play, when Uruguaying wingback, Mateo Corbo would drive down the left wing and spotted Lee Bradbury, who had broken free from Hobbsie, making a run for the near post. Bradbury solid header produced a class reflex save from Lancaster, and as the rebound came back to Mooney, Mangani was able to recover and put him off just enough to force the snap shot high and wide of the goal.

In truth we controlled most of the flow of the game, with around 60% of the possession, keeping at their end for a good portion of the game, but we lacked ruthlessness in the final third of the pitch to really look like taking the game by the scruff and putting Oxford in harms way. I found myself much more closely marked in this match wherever I was on the pitch, and had to drop pretty deep in order to receive the ball in build up. In fact, it wasn’t unusual to find Mangani, playing as the holding midfielder, getting further up on the pitch than I, and winning more space and time to give a pass. On top of that, mid game I was asked to play further back in midfield as Coach Owens tried some different ideas to try and open up the Oxford defense, and at the same time provide cover for the defense just in case they were able to break away on the counter. Still, I had my chances as in 5th, and 28st minute, with markers physically crowding me out, I was able to get my head to a couple of crosses, but just couldn’t keep them down to trouble the keeper. Our best opportunity came again, at the very end of the game, when Legear, Noble (who did come on at the half for an Hammil), and John Paul Kelly (on for an ineffective Frayne for the last ½ hour) produced several dangerous moments in Oxfords box that had their defenders scrambling about to block shots and try to clear the ball. But, as was the case for most of the game, our open chances never really troubled the keeper and did no more than find the outside of the netting leaving the crowd wondering what might have been. Neither side produced a player on exceptional form that day, leaving choice for man of the match up in the air. In the end, because their goalie had faced more shots, and had marshalled his area relatively well, Oxford Keeper Chris Tardif took the honors. I was disappointed not to have somehow stood out, and was left guessing that maybe Mangani, who hadn’t put a foot wrong the whole game, would get the run out with the combined squad at Villareal. As for who else would feature, that would really be a game of eeny meeny miney mo.

Terry Murphy (7) 0 Goals, 0 Assists – 90 mins played: 24/30 passes (1 Key), 2/3 tackles won, 7/7 headers won (2 Key), 3 interceptions, 0 runs, 0 offsides, 1 fouls, 0 fouled, 0/3 shots on target.

27 July –

Very early the next morning we gathered in the lecture hall at the Academy to find out who would be making the trip out in the afternoon. True enough, Thomas Mangani was ecstatic to find a seat booked for him to go out. Surprisingly, only two others would join him on the flight: Paul Lancaster, who had showed well last game, and whom Coach Owens probably would want to showcase in order to attract some attention from the lower leagues; and Simone Bertini. Fecking Bertini!? What the heck did he do that nobody else on the pitch didn’t do just as well? He just kinda sat there when he found out he was going with an impish little grin on his face. Bertini, and not me! CRAP!

Needless to say I was quite gloomy for the rest of the week. It would be quite awhile before I would see another chance like this to live the dream. Months before having even a sniff to feature along side Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso. Fecking Bertini!! CRAP!

28 July --

With the chosen three having left, the rest of us turned our attention to our next task, which would be the U-18 Friendly scheduled against Margate for the 31st of July. This was our last regular friendly, not including the intra squad scrimmage the we would have with the Reserves, before the beginning of the competitive season. We'd have a regular pre season schedule tomorrow, but the Villareal game would also be televised during the evening, so I figured I'd catch it with a couple of my mates and see what I would be missing.

Date: 29th of July 2005

Venue: El Madrigal, Villarreal

Opponent: Villarreal

Weather: Dry, 87 F

Attendance: 4641

(Real Life Note: Here was a good opportunity to preview at least some of the talent that Everton would be up against in their legs of the Champions League this year. In this game, Everton didn’t even get close to making the Champions League Last year (yeah, I know, big surprise there), although they did make the qualifying round of the UEFA cup with a 7th place finish.)

Myself and two of my best mates decided to make a night of it. Not old enough to enjoy one at the pub (yet!), so we were relegated to watching the match on the new wide screen theatre system down in the basement. Normally the basement is dominated by the world class foosball table (as I am also a world class foosball player), but that was heaved to the side to get the best view of event. Villarreal was a pretty good team the last few years. They don’t boast huge names, but players like Diego Forlan, Luciano Figueroa, and Santi were outstanding role players. Diego Forlan was particularly surprising last year, after being termed a huge flop for Manchester United in 2003, when he was high on the league scoring list with 14 goals in the 2004/2005 season. Their defense was well captained by Gonzalo Rodriguez and they were characteristically stingy during the first half, holding Liverpool scoreless at the outset. They had become a bit weaker in the goal mouth, as all should remember that is was only last year that Jose (Pepe) Reina kept the goalmouth for them, and was vital in securing 4th spot for them and inclusion in the Champions League Cup.

I must say, I was still a bit put off by Bertini’s inclusion into the team, and was secretly hoping that he would show poorly. I was happy to see that he did not figure at all during the first half of the game – as only Mangani got a starting spot from the Youth Squad. Right away, Mangani got stuck in on some outstanding tackles, and helped Liverpool to a first half in which they dominated the flow of play, but never capitalized on the time and space that they were creating for themselves. Djibril Cisse was handed 3 or 4 decent opportunities and he would be very disappointed that he didn’t put at least on in the back of the net before the end of the half. Especially consider what then occurred after he was subbed out at the half by Milan Baros. Liverpool best chance of the first came in the 39th minute, when Mangani spearheaded an attack, having a shot pushed away by the Villarreal Keeper Lopez Vallejo. The clearance didn’t go far enough, and Liverpool Captain, Steven Gerrard forcefully charged down the rebound. Vallejo had plenty of time to regain his feet and position, and was well placed to shut down any real opportunity that Gerrard had, punching his strong but poorly aimed effort out for a corner.

I let slip a laugh after half time Bertini still hadn’t put in an appearance. If Villarreal kept the game close it looked a bit doubtful that Bertini would find is place in the side, and would definitely keep Paul Lancaster out of the lineup. But Baros would have plenty to say about that, and in short order. Threatening to repeat his hat trick heroics of last game, Baros was clearly the class of the pitch again, and his determined runs into the Villarreal box saw him run onto the end to two almost identical through balls from Xabi Alonso and coolly pass the ball into the back of the net. Two strikers goals in the 51st and 55th minutes put an end to any secret desire to keep Bertini off the pitch. Soon after the restart, Bert was up and warming up on the sideline, along with Paul Lancaster. Well, at least Paul was going to get a run out. There was still much to be done when Bertini came on in the 65th minute, as Villarreal seemed to tighten up at the back, marking Baros out of the game. But by the last 1/3 of an hour, Rafa felt the game was well in hand, and brought Paul Lancaster out. He even had a bit to do as a couple of long distance shots forced Paul to hold the ball, as a bobble would have surely allowed Forlan, poaching on the door step, to put one in. The game was finally put away in the 86th minute as Fernando Morientes took a Zenden pass right up the gut of the defense and curled a well struck ball into the far corner of the net – and that was that. A real Friendly you could say, as neither team played with real forcefulness save for 10 minutes of brilliance by Baros, who indeed took his second man of the match award in Pre-season.

The result was another good one for Baros, as he sought somehow to regain favor and retain his spot in the Liverpool first team. With the introduction of Peter Crouch, and Djibril Cisse back to full health after a terrifying broken leg at Blackburn from last year, it was apparent that Baros was slipping in favor, and could very well have dropped to 4 in the depth chart behind perhaps Crouch or Morientes. His name had been put out on the transfer market, and some teams were beginning to show interest in the former Euro 2004 golden boot winner. But after such a prolific display in the pre-season, I’m sure Rafa would not be too disappointed if nobody won the race to match Liverpools valuation of the lad, and they ended up keeping him. I for one didn’t know Milan at all, but didn’t particularly take to his style on the pitch, and off the pitch – Milan in an attempt to show penache and flair, usually dressed like a prissy, and had even been sighted at a couple of nightclubs carrying a “man purseâ€. And his hair? Glad to see that Luis Garcia had gotten a decent cut, leaving Baros as the only bloke on the pitch needing an “Alice†band to keep the hair out of his eyes. But, as my dad always says “different strokes for different folks.â€

Date: 31 July 2005

Venue: Wrexham Racecourse Ground

Opponent: Margate

Weather: Dry, 75F

Attendance: 914

With Mangani, Bertini, and Lancaster not due to return till later in the evening, we had a run out with a couple of ‘old’ faces in the team (Holmes, Barrett, Barnes) against a relatively decent Margate team from the Southern Conference. Usually talent migrates up the leagues towards the Premiership, but Margates best player was 20 year old Alex Lawless, whom they had purchased from Fulham just this summer. Mr. Owens had encountered him in the past during the youth cups, so we knew a little about him – mostly that he was a good finisher. The rest of the team consisted of older professionals, and young developing talent.

With Mangani gone, Coach had been playing Barragan at DMC during practices, but with the opportunity to play Noble, Legear, Myself, and Bridges in the same midfield (not having to rotate one to the bench) he decide to push me to DMC and have Noble distribute from CM. Coach still wanted a strong presence in box from crosses coming in, so I was to cheat up field whenever possible, but guard against leaving our back door too wide open and getting caught on the break. I figured I was in for some punishment trying to cover the ground on both the offense and the defense – that was until we took possession upon the opening kickoff and rarely surrendered the ball. We kept the ball in their end of the field most of the game, and they never did have the chance to break away. Hobbs and Barragan won practically everything at midfield, and Barragan cut a dominating figure the few times they were able to work the ball up field.

In our past few games, Alejandro Fernandez had featured pretty weakly in the attack, and so the club was looking to bring in more talent, if only to push him for a place in the team alongside Frayne. Coach had brought Barret back down from the Reserve team to initiate that process, and apparently that had done the trick this time around. Fernandez seemed to be everywhere in the box, but more than that, he worked well in build up play, and showed some reliable, though unspectacular, passing throughout the game. His persistent danger was rewarded near the half hour mark after finding himself unmarked in the box, he received a simple pass from Barret who had been pushed wide right. With plenty of time, Fernandez turned and fired in low and left from 12 yards out. Not two minutes later he he repeated the feat, this time receiving from the left side, deep from Legear and squeezing a shot underneath the Margate keeper, Pete Trego. In reality, Trego should have saved, and we learned later at the half, that the official scorekeeper felt that Trego had redirected a shot that was going wide into his own net and had scored it as an own goal. Whatever! It was just nice to see Fernandez get on the sheet. Legear finished off a very comfortable half, after intercepting a silly cross goal pass from Margate CB Adrian Clark and easily putting the ball into the open half of the goal.

There were no goals in the second half, but not for lack of chances. Legear service and flair was exemplary and he was clearly the best player on the pitch taking home MOM honors for the second preseason game.

I however, wasn’t having such a good time. With four clear cut chances off of both headers and plays to feet, I just couldn’t get out of my own way enough to help the cause. Our tactics were working well, but I was frustrated and it was starting to affect my play. That frustration spilled over when I lost my cool after an admittedly harmless foul from Margate midfielder Paul Moore. Like two bulldogs, neither Moore nor myself wanted to back down, so our coaches saw fit to remove us from the game post haste to avoid any real embarrassment in what was, after all, a friendly match. The rest of the game passed without any more fireworks, and more in line with the friendly tenor of the game. I apologized to Moore after the game and we both admitted we had just been frustrated after substandard games and were too embarrassed to back down.

1 August (Sunday)--

Now there were no more Combined Friendlies to cause a distraction to the team. What you saw was what you got . . . well . . .almost.

The three guys out playing hooky with the big boys were back at the Academy today and we gave them a good welcoming back (even Mange as he was very quietly being called by some of us), but there was something else big afoot. A couple of new blokes were about the place, looking a bit wide eyed as we did on that first day. One was a rather tall blond lad - could have been German or another American if I hadn't heard him speak. . . nope -- definately English. The other was rather smallish, but even moreso compared to blondie. He too seemed was English. I had seen him somewhere before? Didn't quite remember where though. At any rate, today was an off date, so I wasn't sticking around the joint to coke and joke with the newbies. Myself, Ronnie Bridges and Mark Noble were off the the Barfly to take back a little bit of music and fun (and perhaps knock back a few if we could get ahold of something)

"Legends are normally a long time in the making. Think of legendary music venues and names like the Hacienda, Marquee and Cavern spring to mind for the key role they played in nascent bands’ careers. However, in each case the passing of the years has only served to heap more mystery on the already epoch-making gigs to which they bore witness. It’s no mean achievement then, that in a few short years the Barfly has earned a status which ranks it alongside these illustrious names from the past.

It wasn’t always so. The beginnings, in a pub on the outskirts of Camden in late 1996, were as humble as the subsequent years have been impressive." (About Barfly -- from the website of the same name)

The Barfly was an outstanding set-up, and we easily slipped in with the crowd and struck up a good time. The place was much more crowded than what it normally would have been and not just becuase of some of the quality of bands there tonight (Fallen Calls, Helsinki, and Tom Spence), but becuase today's take was actually dedicated as a benefit for MICHAEL SHIELDS. Poor lad. What a nightmare his situation had become, and his circumstance served as a reminder to everyone that life is fickle and could change for the worse in the blink of an eye. 15-year-old Michael Shields is like any other rabid fan of Liverpool, coming out of pocket more than a few times to see his heroes play. He struck gold as Liverpool, against all odds, played into the finals in Istanbul. He was one of the few (or many depending on how you looked at it) who were able to get a ticket out to see the greatest comback in club team history. He was living a dream, that turned into a nightmare, as on the way back, he was caught halfway home in Bulgaria and had to stay for the night. Many other Liverpool fans faced the same layover, and some took to celebrating in the streets and in the local pubs. One group of hooligans had a roustabout in a local pub, and trouble turned to violence as one of the group struck the bartender on the head, a wound which would prove fatal. Michael Shields was actually in bed during this time but somehow got rounded up as part of the investigation, and was forced to wear clothing he did not own and parade in front of "witnesses" to the attack. Amazingly, Shields was incorrectly fingered as the perpetrator, and was detained to stand trial for the crime.

Amazingly, another local liverpudlian has now come forward to profess his guilt in the crime, but this admission was not enough to put a stop the the political farce and shambolic court proceedings now taking place in Bulgaria. He was found guilty of the crime and faces 15 years in a foreign country's jail for a crime he had no knowlege of. Just a boy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyhow, there have been many a kind soul in Liverpool these days trying to do just a little bit in hopes that somehow they could bring home and innocent boy. This is just one of those events.

(authors note: Some stories are just too horrible to make up. This is one of them. Please spare a thought for Michael - it's another story worth following. Additionally, just remember, when you are out of country, and city for that matter, just remember you are an ambassador for your team and your country. There is NO place for Hoolganism in today's game. NONE.)

somewhere during the night, amidst all the music, it hit me. I remember where that guy was from. Hartlepools team web site! --

He was Charlie Barnett. Most of the talk had been about Hartlepool youth goal keeper, but there was definately mention of young Mr Barnett.

So, friendlies do mean something sometimes -- and this summer's friendlies had meant quite a lot to me, and in the end, to the U-18 squad. I'm sure there would be more top talent that we would be looking to bring in, and maybe some promising young Academy boys.

2 August (Monday)

Preseason wasn't nearly over, nor would it be for a few weeks. We still had preseason "friendly" which was more of an intra squad game with the Reserve Team. This wasn't likely to be a typical friendly type match that we had just been through. No, there was likely to be some amount of blood on the pitch after the war . . er . . game. The Reserve Team at Melwood were all timers who were desperate to make it to the first team, or make it back to the first team in some cases. We represented future competition for thier spots, and in more than one or two cases, they would be on the last year of thier first professional contracts with the team. That meant bye bye. Well, they weren't going down without a fight to be sure -- especially now that Rafa was challenging them to make an impact, or they would would be moved on. Ruthless Rafa.

Morning session began with and introduction to the two new boys. I had already clued most of the team to Charlie Barnett before pratice. Most were happy to see him come in as there was little competition up front. Alejandro didn't seem fazed at all with his signing, even though Barnett was a very similar player will what would turn out to be ALOT more speed. Still Alejandro seemed to have an instinct for finding the back of the net, while we would find out that Barnett was less skillful, but made up for his weaknesses with sheer speed and power.

The Tall, blond chap turned out to be one Paddy Gamble. He had formerly been of the Nottingham Forrest Youth System. Nottingham forrest had once been a huge club in the old English First league, but had since fallen on hard times and had fallen to the English Leauge Second League (old 3rd League!). There did seemed to be hope for the future, and the club also appeared to be well on the way to financial recovery. Deals like the one Perry and Rafa no doubt cut with them would help them on their way, but Liverpool looked to benefit pretty well from this bit of business. Paddy Gamble, though only 16, was a pretty impressive sight for a young'n. He had a massive wingspan, probably as big as mine, though he was a good 4 or 5 inches shorter. Paddy didn't have great reflexes yet, but he was a very commanding presense, and was sound in every other aspect of the trade. Coach would have to work on his strength, reflexes, and agility as he grew into his body -- but here was definately one with potential for the future. Paul Lancaster, our current keeper, was pretty good natured - and seemed to indicate that a fellow GK in the side would provide him company during training sessions. As it was, Paul looked to be moving on, or at least looked to be putting out feelers for first team experience at some other teams, so I would believe that he didn't feel at all threatened.

There were, however, some dark clouds already rolling in. Jonathan Legear - our new Belgian U-18 International winger - seemed to be much more withdrawn during all of the sessions. It's always tough coming into a new team, a new system, and working under new coaching -- but it could be especially brutal on foreign players, some moving away from thier homeland for the first time ever. Legear was working wonders on the field, and I had been the recipient of more than a couple of his dipping crosses, but off of it he was looking more and more sullen. I guess yesterday, most of us had taken off to go do something out and about in the town -- but nobody had taken care to bring Janathan along too. I made a note to try and stay a little closer to Jonathan, try and help the lad adjust better. My Mom wasn't all that great a cook, but she did Belgian waffled good enough all right. We'd see if that would do the trick.

6 August (Friday)

Training and Pre-season was continuing at a very constant pace. We had avoided any serious injuries, and identified some of our problem areas. Paddy Gamble was shaping up to be a fine backup, and now there were even more options at Forward. With all of the different levels of the Academy in full swing, a couple of the younger boys who had been working with the U-16 team looked ready to take thier places with the Senior squad (us) at the Academy. Of particular note were Michael Nardiello and Ryan Flynn. Michael "Nards" icon_smile.gif - was a very promising talent and had been playing with the England U-16 squad, earning plaudits not only for his predatory instincts in the box, but also his willingness to work the wings and get in a good cross or pass for his striking partner.

Suddenly Alejandro Fernandez was swarmed with competition for his spot, but he seemed to be taking it all well. He seemed to be enjoying a lot of attention from other clubs, and had mentioned the possibility of going out on loan for a few weeks to a First Division side to get a taste of competition for first team football. Ronnie Bridges and Brandon Noble found they were also being targetting more and more for a first team look at other clubs, but neither seemed as excited about the prospect as Alejandro. After all, Bridges and Noble had played in the Pre-season Combined friendlies with Liverpool, and had tasted what it was like to play for such a big club. They knew their stars were rising - but Alejandro hadn't seen that yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see him given the nod to head out, but I'd be shocked if Bridges or Noble go. Besides, we had become a tight crew since showing up not to long ago, and we each imagined that we would take the step up to the next level together.

Legear's demeanor had continued to grow gloomier off the pitch. I wasn't the only one who had noticed it - thankfully, which meant that maybe somebody would help the lad. But intervention didn't seem to be coming fast enough. I think some of the journo around the Academy and with Melwood picked up on this, and were looking to get the dish on what was going on. Nobody was really all that shocked to see a mention of his troubles settling into the area pop up on Friday Morning's ECHO. Long before the article appeared I figured I'd keep and eye out for him - hopefully befriend him and help him out a little. We'd have him over tomorrow night for dinner. I had always felt much like an adopted Scouser in Liverpool, maybe we could help Legear feel like an adopted Murphy.

I messed up on the date and day a little - the 6th should actually have been a Saturday. Oh well. Would help if editing feature were a little more open!

August 8 (Monday)

One of the many perks of being associated with Liverpool Academy team, is that we also get increadible deals for season tickets and additional seats at Anfield for LFC games. We apparently had our own little section of seats that we could take advantage of. Additionally, Mr. Heighway and Mr. Moores encouraged us to attend the games and become more involved in the overall culture of Liverpool FC. There was no twisting my arm when I'd heard about that! Traditionally it was the Dad who would spring for tickets for his sons to games. Well I was turning that little tradition on it ear - as my Dad and two brother's practically snapped my hand off when I brought out tickets for tomorrows Champions League 3rd Round Qualifier against Poland's League Champions Wisla. It figured to be a tricky draw for Liverpool, and by no means a free pass into the group stages, but the Senior Team were on excellent form in the Pre-season, not having conceded so much as a goal to the opposition! I was confident they would come off winners in the end. In any event. It would be my first game at Anfield as an "employee" of the club, and would have an extra sense of pride about being there. One day, surely, I would leave the confines of the Kop and take my place on the field of play. One day soon, hopefully!

August 9 (Tuesday)

Ah the KOP was in great voice today! European Nights are always brilliant at Anfield. The stadium was packed tight, and though there were quite a few first timers becuase tickets prices are lower for 3rd round qualifiers, everyone turned out in full color.

A few songs for you, and you can guess how the tie went.

Tune : New York, New York

'Start spreading the news

He's playing today

hes gonna score a goal for us, cisse cisse

if he can score from there

he'll score from anywhere

its up to you cisse cisse'

----------------------------------------------

Rafa played a 4-5-1 with Cisse as the lone striker, and it worked to a tee. The first one coming off a pass from Alonso straight up the gut in the 4th minute. One on one with the keeper - never stood a chance.

----------------------------------------------

Here's another one a few were singing

To the Cartoon song The Flintstones...

'Dji-bril,

Dji-bril Cisse

He's the fastest striker in the league

From the French Republic

He's the greatest player we've ever seen'

The second was on the stroke of first half, off a beautiful build up on the right wing with Gerrard and Garcia playing several one touches back and forth. Near the box Gerrard took the return pass and flicked it onto Cisse who seemingly red it his mind. Perfectly in stride, and it was clear that Wisla had a mountain to climb.

last one for yah. A Classic icon_smile.gif

'Allez Allez Allez Allez . . . Cisse, Cisse'

(repeat)

Cisse completed a dream Champions League tie when during the 67th minute, off a Bolo Zenden cross, he rose to head down past an over powered keeper -- And that was that.

3-0 and Liverpool had one foot in the Group stages! A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

12 August (Friday)

Legear didn't seem to be coming out of his shell any more, but at least it didn't seem like things were getting any worse. I think one of the roots of it was he just didn't seem to want to even try to pick up much English outside of that which he needed on the field. His onfeild understanding was getting better and better as he just tortured Bertini and Jordan Holmes everyday during drills. But off it . . . icon_frown.gif

Well, I know nobody was making an effort to learn his language, and there was nobody on the team that he could talk to. So, I resolved to learn a few words in Flemmish -- as he didn't seem to understand any of the French words my girlfriend had taught me. Mr. Owens had certainly noticed the cloud over Legear, and I think he was a bit relieved to see some of the extra care that I taking to try and help. With a little bit of luck, maybe he would come around.

13 August (Saturday)

I knew that I was really my "turn" to take a seat on the bench in the rotation through midfeild -- Even though this was going to be a great chance to impress, and perhaps show the coach at the next level that I could compete against the Reserve Side. Still, it was a bit alarming to see that I was not included in the starting side for the game tomorrow. What was even more dissapointing was being left off altogether. Not even on the bench! Ever since I had picked up a football in earnest, I had always been in the side. I tried not to show how gutted I was - but my mind began racing as I imagined how Bridges and Noble would boss the second stringers, and how Coach Herrera, the Reserve Side Manager, would bring them up -- leaving me to languish all alone.

I really didn't even feel like going to the game. In fact, Liverpool was opening up the Premiere League Season at Norwich tomorrow, and I thought for a little while it would be better to take my mind off the tragedy of it all by going with the FANATICAL liverpool travelling fans to the game. But I realized how selfish that was, and soon admitted to myself that the right thing to do was go and cheer my mates on.

Well, fine! Then lets see if I couldn't come up with an original song for one of our future anfeild hero's. Maybe it would stick and would be sung forever from the KOP. I would be a legend

icon14.gif

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Date: Sunday, 14 August 2005

Opponent: Liverpool Reserves (Friendly)

Weather: Dry, 75F

Attendance: 2093

Even though everybody attending was Liverpool fan, as is often the case, the neutral crowd began to cheer for the underdog. Buoyed by unanimous support, the U-18s seized initial control of the game, and looked odds on to score were it not for some outstanding reflexes by the Reserves Keeper Paul Willis (last years U-18 Keeper) on a Charlie Barnett snap shot from 25, and a timely intervention by Lee Peltier as Alejandro shaped to shoot. As a matter of fact, the Reserve team was being frustrated left and right -- losing possession cheaply, and just missing on their one touches. Then the tenor of the game changed when in the 35th minute, Ryan Wilkie rather cynically hauled down Charlie Barnett who was looking continually dangerous on his debut for the Liverpool U-18. Wilkie left a rather nasty gash on Barnetts leg, and was quickly taken off the pitch by Herrera after being shown a yellow by the match ref. Play became decidedly more physical at that point, with the Reserve side, slowly establishing control of the match having a great chance themselves to pull ahead in minute 43 when Conal Platt's perfectly timed run put him through one on one with Paddy Gamble, who brilliantly turned the shot destined for the left top 90 over the bar.

Michael Nardiello came on for Barnett; he too making his debut for the U-18 after being called up from the U-16 team. As in the first half, our side snatch momentum with Noble and Legear hooking up several times to earn Noble an few chances, but his marksmanship was off on the day, and of 9 shots he took, only three were inside of the posts, and none really ever troubled Wilis. The reserves wrested back control of the game approaching the 59th minute as they out muscled the younger side to all second balls and fifty fifties. Mark Noble was caught across the face with an elbow from Callum woods during one such challenge, and although not a cynical challenge, Noble came up bloodied, and was subbed out by John Paul Kelly. From that moment on, ours began to pull out of the tackles and headers that we had been at least contesting before. Legear alone continued his fine form, and was the only youth side able to create anything dangerous (twice sending Nardiello through with clear chances - once to shoot straight at the keeper, and once dragging a shot well wide) - but most of the last 1/2 hour was spent with Hobbs, Barragan, Mangani, and Jordan Holmes trying desperately to keep it tight at the back, while the likes of Mannix, Guthrie and Potter rained in shots from long distance on Gamble. Neither side looked capable of taking all the 'friendly' points, and just to seal an ugly day of football off, Reserves hard man, Mark Jones sent Mangani limping off with a high stud that drew some worried looks from both coaches, Herrera and Owen. There was no messing around with injury time on this day as the coaches reached a silent understanding with the ref that the bloodletting was over.

Despite the Reserves sides physical dominance of the match, I felt that Legear and Noble far outplayed them. As Noble had to be carted off early, Legear was odds on to take man of the match unless they wanted to pin it on Willis or Paddy for keeping a clean sheet.

As nobody had scored, I really hadn't thought to try out any of the songs that I was composing. Maybe next time if ever I was dropped to watch the game in the stands. The only thing that came to mind from watching this one was the famous U2 anthem. Bloody it was.

15 August (Monday)

I always ask my dad to tape the Liverpool games if I can't watch it for some reason. I'd much rather go to the games - as that is really the only way to really understand what is going on with the teams. Otherwise you just have to take the commentators words on what tactics they are using, if they are pressing up on the field, etc. . . Regardless, it was a pleasant way to spend a day off training and I invited Legear, Brandon, and Ronnie over to kick back with me and my other best mates. Legear, didn't come, but the other two showed up with chips and sodas -- these were shaping out to be good mates. I always try very hard not to find out the score before I could sit down and watch it, but realized while in the stands yesterday, there were more than a few fans at the intra squad match who were recieving text messages of how Liverpool were doing. So dissapointingly, I already knew the score. Oh well.

Liverpool Played Against Norwich Away. Norwich were relegation battlers all last year, and were looking set for another tough year in the Prem as they didn't really move to pick anybody up over the off season. They were going to rely on home grown talent to keep them up. That's a very noble and worthy cause, but against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester, that was never going to cut it as these would always field a team of internationals.

Predictably, Liverpool would dominate possesion of the whole game, occasionally surrenduring possession of some bad flicks by Garcia and Sissoko which would lead to a couple of long range offers - but Pepe Reina had very little besides cheer the attack on.

Liverpool got off to a flyer, playing a 4-5-1 as they had during the Champions League game, this time with Crouch as the lone striker to hold up play. Crouch would provide many chances throughout the match to other players, but in the 5th minute, with the ball played to feet from Kewell at about 30 yards, Crouch suprisingly easily turned his marker and pushed past into the right channel. With the other centerback trying to crowd him out, and the Norwich keep closing the distance to cut down any angle, Crouch looked to be drifting too wide to be dangerous -- The Keeper had similar ideas, and as he looked up to see who was trailing late into the box, Crouches timely effort squeezed under the GK and careened in off the base of the post for a well taken goal.

Rafa's idea of a 4-5-1 meant that 'pools midfeilder were likely to get into the scoring act alot during the year. Gerrard, Alonso, and Sissoko would have several chances during the match to build on the lead, but it wasnt until the 62nd minute that Gerrard was able to take advantage. Gerrard had missed two or three clear chances previously, and Rafa must have felt that 1-0 was hardly flattering considering the clear preponderance of possession - yet here Norwich were, keeping it tight at the back and dodging a few bullets. But their luck would run out on them when Luis Garcia chased a pass down deep into the corner and made some space for a cross that found Gerrard unmarked at 10 yards to punch through the back of the net.

The game was never in doubt, but to be honest it was frustrating that Liverpool hadn't won by more with the quality of chances that they had.

Still, 2-0 and and 3 points was in the books, well for a league in which every point had to be taken.

The rest of the day off was spent blistering our hands at Foosball while a couple of good vids played on the flat screen. Again, the outcome was never in doubt as FC Murphy would down all comers that day. By the way - I highly recommend "The Wedding Crashers" -- an instant classic! Funny funny funny

17 August (Wednesday)

For the most part, we were all in pretty good physical shape for the kick off of the U-18 season. Michael Nardiello, Charlie Barnett, Ryan Flynn, and Paddy Gamble would be behind the curve a ways in that category -- but mostly they would suffer from lack of match practice with the Academy team. I guess, usually the Youth team plays a few more pre season games before kicking off the season, but as far as I knew, we would have only each other to kick around from now until the start.

The big news on the week came as it looked like Alejandro Fernandez was going to be leaving us for a few months to get some real first team playing experience with another team. Last I knew there were several Championship League sides poking around to take him on in some capacity. Alejandro wasn't saying much, but he was clearly buzzing over the last few days.

Coach Owens brought us all together in between sessions at the auditorium and filled us in on the plusses and minusses of going out on loan to some of these teams interested in taking us on. Some things were a bit of a surprise for me.

First of all -- we would be told when teams were interested in us, and ultimately it would be up to us to decide if we did want to go out on loan and with whom -- but the Club's (ie Rafa Benitez, Coach Owens, Mr. Moores) interests almost always came into first consideration.

Secondly, there was more to it than just going somewhere and jumping into their starting 11. We all wanted to go out and play for the biggest team possible -- but there was also the possibility that, with the larger clubs, we would get less playing time, and might be seen as an emergency back up, or last resort stop gap in an injury crisis and NEVER play. So consider what would be better -- going somewhere where you could "possibly" play with the first team but would likely sit the bench most of the time, move to a smaller team where your talent would almost guarantee you a spot in the starting 11 but not offer you the competetive comparison or development that would lead to bigger things, or stay at the Academy and play into the plans of the reserves (or higher icon_smile.gif)

Third, transitions to and from clubs were often very stressful times. Imagine moving away from the Academy right when a crucial time comes to the team, and instead of bonding with your other team mates by working through the time together, you are off somewhere else fighting somebody else's war. You are not likely to be recieved back with the same relationships that you had before. Things can really change alot in just a few weeks. And if you were to go out on a year long loan - you might never really be accepted back into your previous circles at Liverpool! icon_frown.gif

There was plenty more to think about, including your personal life, your family, your bird, moving, financial dificulties, education, and on and on.

Damn, I'm almost glad nobody has been knocking on my door! It certainly seems easier just to stay put and enjoy being a part of the Liverpool tradition, than to have to deal with all of that. Well, for the time being I wasn't in anybody else's plans - but I'm sure the time would come when I would have to make the hard choices.

Noble and Bridges had been into see the gaffa a couple of times already on this issue, but neither seemed too interested in a move as we all seemed to be having a good time together here. Even though expectations were unusually high for them, their feet were on the ground and the season beckoned ahead.

19 August (Friday)

Tomorrow was the start of the U-18 Youth Cup - a cup which we traditionally have done really well in, and which last year, dispite the youth sides dismal league form, they showed well in, thought they did not take home the silverware.

This year we knew things were definately going to be different in the league, and we felt we had the quality to take the cup too.

We would start the Cup against Huddersfeild, at home, so we felt it would be a strong start to the tourney.

The coach announced the stating spots for the game, and I noticed that Legears name was absent from the list, as well as the bench. I could only think that he might be worried that the Belgian's head wasn't really right at this time. True enough, he hadn't practiced well at all that week as his game lacked the edge we had been used to seeing. Also not on the starting 11 was Alejandro Fernandez, who was likely going to be rested in light of an impending move away. He was, however, still on the bench, so he would give the coach options just in case things weren't turning out.

I would make my return to center mid, and was delighted with the tactics that we would be playing. Playing to my strength, we would look to play the ball up the wings. That meant I would get a chance to play some down with my height advantage, and would have a chance to find a big part in the game.

School of Hard Knocks

Date: Saturday, 20 August 2005

Opponent: Liverpool Reserves (Friendly)

Weather: Dry, 45F

Attendance: 904

Here we were in the middle of August for goodness sakes, and I was freezing my nuts off warming up on the pitch. It felt like there should have been 1/2 of snow on the ground, yet the sun was blazing in a clear blue sky. Lying sky. That cold feeling would leave as we ended warm-up, but the ball would still feel like a rock as we kicked it about, and judging by our tactics, I was going to take some punishment to my head try to thump down some crosses.

Well, Huddersfeild were re writing their tactics just 2 minutes in to the game as we couldn't have scripted an opening any better. Ronnie Bridges (MR) took and early pass from Me in right mid, with Hudderfeild's Ricky Marsh (MC) playing right up behind him. Ronnie must have caught him with and elbow or something because Marsh froze and was left clutching his cheek as Bridges blew by up the right flank. Mirroring his movement in the center, and reading his intentions, I set up for a return pass just at the top of the box and right no cue it came to feet. Expecting a rough challenge to come, I turned immediately and realized I had plenty of space. With two touches into the box, I cocked and fired left past the Huddersfield keeper Paul Bell who proceeded to lambaste his front four for their dreadful marking.

Things went from bad to worse for Huddersfeild. Just a couple of minutes after the restart it was obvious that Ricky Marsh was looking for some retribution for the double insult of taking a knock and been scored on in the same movement. He went in hard on David Barnes (DL) giving a free kick on the defensive side of the ball, which might have earned a card. Maybe disappointed he hadn't been carded or taken serious, Marsh eyed up the free kick, and when the ball came into Mark Noble (ML), He left no doubt as to his anger when he kicked Noble about a foot in the air with no regard for the ball. When the match ref brought out his book Marsh grew absolutely irate. His team mates were unable to restrain him in time as Marsh earned himself an early shower with a stream of invectives spewed out about the thumping he had suffered earlier and the refs blind idiocy, punctuated by a two fingered salute and some well placed spittle.

So, at 7 minutes, Hudderfield was down 1 in the score column and now one on the field. Three minutes later, they were down 2 in the score column. Chris Collins (DC), pulled Charlie Barnett (SC) down just outside of the box as he was turning on the ball. Noble signaled for me to take it. Sizing it up, I felt this was one of those free kicking which might have been too close to play something cute and have it dip in time. So we faked a lay off shot and I blasted it head high toward the left side of the netting. The keeper was cheating over and when the ball deflected of Nick Marshall's (ML) head and swerved right, he could only wave at it in disgust.

Mark Noble and I had a great understanding through out the half, and in truth I had 3 clear chances to claim my hat trick of his crosses, and succeeded in putting one over the bar, one Bell was able to get a paw to on a reflex save, and one he pulled down with as routine save.

Unable to stem the tide of shots coming in, Huddersfeild began to get closer to their marks and much more physical. The ref handed out 3 more yellow cards before the half. On one questionable challenge, I took a knock on the foot, and in the freezing cold I could have sworn I'd broken something as everything went numb. I was very worried as they stretchered me over the side. Our physio, Collin Robinson, gave it a working over, and when feeling had returned, I realized it wasn't broken, but definitely was well bruised.

In like a lion, out like a lamb - I finished the rest of the half limping in and out of tackles, and knew that half time would see the end of my game. Two goals was certainly something to be proud of, but I doubted I would be the only one to notch my name in the score book that day.

John Paul Kelly (AMC) would spell me for the second half, which I would miss as I sat taking treatment on the physio table. Colline assured me that it would turn all lovely shades of black and blue, but that I wouldn't miss but a day of training, and as we normally took a day off after matches, I wouldn't miss a beat. Surprisingly, I learned that we would only notch one more goal - Which Charlie Barnett would take in the 72 minute when Noble played him through clean. Clearly Mark was the man of the match from what I had seen, and he must have continued his great play long after I was gone. I was happy to have started my official tally at the club though -- Averaging a cheeky two goals a game - and long may it continue

Stats: Terry Murphy (9 Form) 2 GOALS, 0 ASSISTS. 45 mins, 14/16 passes completed (1 key), 0/0 tackles won, 4/5 headers won (2 key), 0 intercepts, 0 run, 0 offside, 1 fouls, 0 fouled, 4/6 shots on target.

Though Milan Baros had not played during the Liverpool match on that same night -- much of the talk by the commentators was on the impending transfer of the young Czech Striker to Aston Villa

icon_cool.gifAuthors Note: NO KIDDING ON THIS ONE. WHEN IT BECAME OBVIOUS THAT MILAN BAROS WAS GOING TO BE TRADED IN REAL LIFE - I OPENED HIM UP FOR BIDDING. THE BEST OFFER CAME IN FROM ATHLETIC CLUB, AND ASTON VILLA! BAROS WENT WITH VILLA

Baros was never a bright favorite of mine. He always represented a stop gap to me after Michael Owen left, and until Djbril Cisse was properly bedded in. That Baros struck gold in Euro 2004, potting at an amazing rate and taking home the golden boot, would end up being fortunate for Liverpool as they sought to get value for him on the transfer market. Villa was said to have secured his signature for 7.5 million pounds ( MORE THAN IN REAL LIFE) and Liverpool were now just waiting for the physical to finish up and it would be official.

The senior team was thought to be very thin at center back, and definately lacking for options in Right Midfeild -- so we were all anticipating that in the next few days there would be a big signing or two to the organization. The only question would be wether the player brought in would represent a long term investment, or just a temp job until better talent could be brought in, or somebody was brought up from the youth team. Legear was actually shaping up to be a good option for the future, but at this point, he may not stick around long enough to figure into future plans.

Furthermore, the rumor had been circulating for a couple weeks on the return of the prodigal son, Michael Owen, to Anfield. Though Rafa insisted that he was not looking for a Striker, and that the money from the deal would be used largely in any deal to bring players in to strengthen obvious weaknesses, still the story would not die out. I thought there was definately something to it, so it was all eyes on Sky Sports News and ears open for anything coming out of Anfeild.

AUTHORS NOTE: THE STORY PROBABLY WON'T MOVE FORWARD MUCH UNTIL ALL OF THIS TRANSFER MADNESS GETS SORTED. I'M TRYING TO PLAY THE SENIOR TEAM WIHT THE PLAYERS THAT WILL BE THERE THIS YEAR. I BROUGHT IN GONZALES, AND HAVE HAD TO HOLD OFF ON PLAYING HIM SINCE IN REAL LIFE HIS WORK PERMIT DIDN'T GO THROUGH (QUITE A ****ER THAT!) IF MICHEAL OWEN WERE TO COME IN, I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THE TIME TO BRING HIM IN, IN THE GAME. HONESTLY, LIVERPOOL DESPERATELY NEED A DC AND A MR -- SO HERE'S HOPING THERE IS STILL QUALITY OUT THERE SOMEWHERE!)

NOT ENTIRELY UNRELATED TO THE STORY -- BUT THIS HAS GOT TO BE ONE OF THE MORE FRUSTRATING LAST WEEKS OF THE SILLY SEASON EVER FOR LIVERPOOL

THE TRADE OF BAROS AWAY TO ASTON VILLA I CAN UNDERSTAND IF IT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BRINGING IN A COUPLE OF GOOD PLAYERS AT DC AND RM -- BUT THE SALE OF CISSE TO BRING IN OWEN? SHOCKING, AND A VERY EXPLOSIVE MOVE FOR RAFAEL BENITEZ IF THAT IS THE CASE. I WOULD BE VERY SAD TO SEE CISSE GO IF IT CAME TO THAT (AND VERY HAPPY TO SEE OWEN COME TOO!)

Watch this space !

Apparently, Michael will be coming to England tomorrow to thrash out a deal.

I dont believe for one moment that we will need to sell Cisse to finance the deal as we have got 6m or so from the Baros sale.

As for a DC and a RM, I havent heard of anything in particular, but would expect one if not two new faces by the transfer deadline.

Great story btw. KUTGW icon14.gif

Originally posted by DarrenP:

Watch this space !

Apparently, Michael will be coming to England tomorrow to thrash out a deal.

I dont believe for one moment that we will need to sell Cisse to finance the deal as we have got 6m or so from the Baros sale.

As for a DC and a RM, I havent heard of anything in particular, but would expect one if not two new faces by the transfer deadline.

Great story btw. KUTGW icon14.gif[/quote}

Oh, how I do dispair -- icon_frown.gif -- that has to have been the most depressing and unexplainable transfer window in the history of Liverpool FC.

Thanks for the thumbs up Darren P. Always nice to hear that somebody is enjoying your work.

For some freakishly unknown reason, the Youth F.A. overlooked the fixture traffic involving the running of the youth cup and the start to the U-18 Liverpool season. Because of the oversight, we were forced to turn around and play the first game of our season the very next day!!

Noble and Bridges would obviously be in no condition to compete the next day; Alejandro looked to be on his way out for loan, so he would also be dropped from the lineup. That left several spots to be picked up by some of the older familiar faces like Barnes and Holmes. It also gave new faces like Nardiello, Black, and Ryan Flynn a chance to make a run out. I wasn't going to be in top form, but I still had pretty good legs, made stronger by the knowledge that it was the beginning of the season and I felt I was going to get quite alot of service. Maybe another goal. Maybe more.

Divers, Cheaters, and a Home Town Ref

Date: Sunday 21 August 2005

Venue: Saltergate, Chesterfield

Opponent: @ U-18 Sheffield United (4-4-2)

Attendance: 448

Score: 2 - 2 (Shef UTD: Hunter 44', Lewis 64')(Liverpool: Murphy 55', Hitchen 90')

MOM: Adam Hitchen

Black Nardiello

Flynn(A) Murphy(55',A) Legear icon_mad.gif

Barragan

Barnes Hitchen(90') icon_cool.gif Hobbs Holmes

Gamble

SUBS:

Lancaster

Roberts (on 45 for Holmes)

Hammill (on 36 for Black)

Kelly (on 45 for Barnes)

Barnett

----------------------------------------------------

Somebody recently said that to win the League you have to play 10 men behind the ball when away from home and go for the tie, and play attacking ball at home and hope for a home town ref and a break. Well, Sheffield looked to have definately found a home town ref as he handed out a total of 7 cards to us on the day, and the partnership of the Ref and a cheating, diving, no good Sheffield United striker Jordan Robertson conspired to gift a win to the home team!

We took a very long time to really get any sort of continuity of play going. Despite that we squandered several great chances in the opening half hour of play to take the lead. I myself was guilty of wantonly wasteful attempts on goal when in the space of 10 minutes I missed 4 bright scoring opportunities: twice I was played onto goal with passes from Nardiello, only to see on shot flash very wide left, and one pushed away by Sheffields Harrison (GK); and twice I was able to get onto the end of dangerous cross from Legear and Flynn only to head to ball clean over the cross bar on both occasions. On a more positive note, at least I wasn't guilty of missing the best chance, as that honor would go to Nardiello. Legear, off a great bursting run forward put Nardiello through one on one with the keeper who watched Nards shot from 10 yards sail over his head into the stands.

Sheffield were making room and creating opportunities of thier own, especially on the right side, looking to bring SHEF Robertson (SC) into play several times. I swear, everytime that little beeotch recived the ball with his back to the goal, as soon as he felt a little bit of contact he flung himself down on the ground, feigning injury and offense all the time. Freak me if it was embarrasingly obvious was tricks he was on about, but EVERY TIME the ref would blow it down, giving Sheffield dangerous possession from deep positions. Gamble would struggle all day, never looking comfortable in the goal mouth, but early on Sheffield just couldn't turn those chances into goals. In the 35 minute, when for about the umpeenth time Robertson launched himself through the air over Legears leg, the referee not only awarded a free kick, but also presented Legear with a yellow card. Legear went nuts, and although he was captaining the side that day, the referee must have felt the protest to insubordinate and sent Legear to the showers with a second yellow. Hammill was brought on to maintain width on the right side, subbing out an ineffective Black (who never seemed into the game). With the better part of an hour remaining in the match and down to 10 men, things looked bleak, and then turned black after Robertson drew another foul from out of his arse just yards outside of the box in the 44th minute. Sheff's Nicky Law (D R) played a cheaky floater into the right side of the box. Gamble came rushing out to punch, and then sort of . . . stopped. Sheff's Simon Hunter (SC) reached the floater first and looped a header well over Gamble and into the back of the net with our side looking on in frustration. Horrible positional sense by Gamble. (1 - 0)

Coach Owen signalled his intent to take chances when he brought on Mark Roberts for Jordan Holmes, and switched to only 3 at the back. The other fullback, Dave Barnes, was also pulled off - sacraficed for a more attacking posture with John Paul Kelly. To top it all off -- I was moved to target man in hopes of nodding down opportunities for Kelly and Nardiello, or finding the back of the net myself.

We continued to struggle with building up play, and Robertson continued to play his sick game of cheat dive cheat by drawing fouls AND CARDS from Hobbs and Barragan. Then . . . we caught a break. Sheff's Law (D R) clumsily bundled a ball out of bounds near his box. The short throw came into Flynn who looked up and spotted me sandwhiched between two Sheff defenders in the six yard box and. The cross was tipped by Sheff Utd Ben Dawson (DC) and made contact off the side of my head and shoulder. The unexpected angle that the ball came in threw Sheff Utd's Keeper and the ball shot passed him into the net. (1 - 1, Murphy 55')

The game was leveled, and then brought back into more parity, after Sheff Utd James Simpson (M R) was sent off for a bad foul on Ryan Flynn compounded by more dissent drawing the second yellow. This Ref was a *****!

Against the run of play, Sheffield United earned a corner off a break away. I was still playing up top, so wasn't in the box for the cross. The guys I normally would have marked Sheff Utd's Barry Lewis (MC), was johnny on the spot, and headed home the corner through a crowd of onlookers

Archived