And Adopted Scouser

uskopite

Too bad, I guess I missed cracking game. What was worse? Dad and Mom had gone out for the night and weren't there to flick to the record button on the DVR. angryfire.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> LIVERPOOL ECHO: Liverpool's Three Amigos top Charlton

Liverpool continued thier outstanding run of form in the Premiership this year with thrilling 2 - 3 victory over Charlton at the Valley.

The up and down affair was opened up at the half hour mark by Matt Holland, who scored after ex-Red Danny Murphy sliced the defense apart to set up the follow up tap in by Holland for his 7th of the campaign.

Charlton look ready to go in at the half with the lead, after Kiely stuffed Liverpool's Djibril Cisse who was put in clean on through, but seconds before the whistle for half, in a run of brilliance, Liverpool's Fernando Morientes created his own space to whip in a left footed shot that found the upper right 90 of the net.

Xabi Alonso looked to have put Liverpool in the drivers seat after scoring on a fabulous swerving strike from 20 yards out after being teed up by Bolo Zenden. The effort was a thing of beauty and may go down as the league goal of the week for the Spanish Magician

The lead was only temporary, as Liverpool's normally rock solid defense lapsed in concentration to allow Charlton's Francis Jeffers go unmarked in the box off a mis-kick from Dennis Rommedahl. Jeffers beat Reina easily, giving the home side hope of snatching back all three points.

However, Liverpool's Luis Garcia completed the Spanish hat-trick in the 76th minute when he picked up a beautiful lay off from a regal run by Morientes, and sliced the ball away from Kiely into the back of the Charlton net.

Both sides spurned numerous chances in the closing minute to add to the strike total, but Rafa will be very pleased that he was able to come away from a tough away fixture with all of the points.

Fernando Morientes earned man of the match honors having taken one goal and setting up another, as he continues to prove to the Anfield faithful that he has indeed adjusted to the pace of the Premiership.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday, always a day of rest and relaxation. Some would also say it was a day of worship, and not just when liverpool had the Sunday match of the day!!!

Me and my family kinda went separate ways when it came to religion. I was raised Roman-Catholic, like a good boy of Irish blood will be. But the whole sit, kneel, stand, sit, kneel, stand - and other things just never sat quite right with me. Then, my dad had a falling out with God after my middle brother began to screw his life away, and dragged my dad's military career down the drain with him. So, my dad stopped going to church blaming GOD for somee reason, and the strain of trying to drag three boys to church every sunday was a bit much for my mom. So we all drifted our own way when it came to worship.

So there I was all heathened up on Sunday's - not going to any church really, but still with a prayer in my heart I guess. But there is one thing about "church" that is innevitably true. You will always catch the best birds hanging out there.

Another thing was for certain - most of the birds that showed up at the football matches were almost always of the TAKEN variety.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool U18 @ Chesterfield U18

I decided that if I could help it at all, I would try and get to the U18 games, even while I was enjoying life at Melwood. So, a group of my old friends got together and piled into my crap car to take off over to Saltergate, Chesterfield to watch em take on Chesterfield's youth side.

My crap car, you ask? A fine little silver hatchback Ford, Aspire. You'd think by looking at it, there was no way that we would get 5 people into such a tiny space. Cutting out all of the clown jokes, we had actually been able to fit 6 at one time. Two in the front, two in the back seat, and two could actually squeeze into the "hatchback" part, but only if you left the hatch open and got all intertwined.

My best mate Alex had called up that morning and asked if he could bring an extra somebody along to the game with us - and with a playful chuckle he said he had a friend who wanted to meet me. Besides - I couldn't say no until I met her.

Her?!! I think he noted the alarm in my voice and laughed, assuring me that if anybody knew what kind of girls I liked, it was him. He was right you know. Alex just kinda had sense for the girls that I would go for.

"Well, what's her name?"

"Ryann. With two 'n's - Ryann Clark Phillips"

"RYANN! - - - CLARK. Wahaaayyy mate. I'm afraid you estimation of who I would go for has really taken a massive wrong turn."

"Relax Murph, I assure you, SHE is a girl. Her dad's a former American marine type. She's a half breed like you too."

"Halfbreed?"

"Her mum's a woolie. Convinced her dad to quit the marines and settle in Liverpool after one too many trips to Iraq. Anyhow. They start having kids, and a girl pops out. Macho marine type wanted a boy so much, he had already decided on Ryan - come hell or high water."

"Poor girl."

"Well, that poor girl is quite a fit bird. I told her about my other mongrel yank friend, and she wants to meet you."

"Fine, but this is not a date Alex. We're not going to be sitting together, cuddling under the same blanket at the game."

"I said, RELAX bro. It'll be okay."

Alex showed up with a couple of the other guys. He grabbed my keys and sprinted to the car. Somebody else cried "shotgun" and before I knew it - me and Ryann were trying to squeeze together in the hatch back portion of my car. Well, let me tell you I didn't mind one bit.

Alex wasn't lying when he said - fit. She was fit right down to here toes. The best I could describe her is that she was a knock off of Nicole Kidman, except her hair wasn't that orange-red. It was a much darker red, and somehow, not one of those colors you could get out of a bottle. At first glance I would shied away thinking that I wasn't anywhere near her league. I wasn't really, but somehow she made me feel very comfortable right away. Well, as comfortable as you could be playing twister in the back of a hatchback with a stranger. And do you want to know what the funniest thing was. The weather at the game was near freezing. Wet, and breezy - Ryann an I ended up huddled together under the same blanket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool's U18 ran out comfortably against Chesterfield. Mark Noble and Ronnie Bridges were imperious in thier domination of the pitch - and time after time they cut gashing swaths through the defense, only to have the attack break down at the vital moment.

In the 29th minute Noble beat his marker in a sudden burst down the right flank, and whipped in a cross that Neil black fired in from point blank.

In the 44th minute, Ronnie and Michael Nardiello hooked up in a quick one two. Nard's flicked a headed cross to the back post, only to watch Ryan Flynn crash the ball across the line and take credit for the goal.

Jack Hobbs was having a great game at the back, winning everything in the air. As reward, he was given the opportunity to take a PK after Niel Black was pulled back in the six yard box in the 80th minute. Jack sent the keeper the wrong way with his kick, but the ball thumped off the post and was cleared off the line in a scramble.

I was happy to see that lads come off with another win. But truth be told, it pained me to sit there while my team mates played and won without me. I wasn't even injured and I wasn't playing.

But don't feel sorry for me. I did, after all, have the best sort of consolation. The best looking girl at the game, was -- well . . . taken

"So how did you know Ryann and I were going to hit it off so well, Al?"

"Look bro, I know you better than anybody else - who better to set you up with somebody, than me! Besides, I figured if she wasn't charmed by my handsom scouse accent, she must have bad taste. And if she had bad taste, than I figured you might just stand a chance with her."

*laughs* "Yeah, well - Don't you know she's way out of my league. I don't stand a chance with her, really."

"Well mate, she likes you. Every goofy inch of yer. Just be yourself Murph . . . So, any chance of coming over and watching to Depor game at your place tonight? That is, unless you've got a hot date" icon_smile.gif

"Bring a friend Al, Ryann wanted to come watch it too. Gotta see if she is any good at foosball - and we need some competition."

"Done. Later bro"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool @ Deportivo (Champions League Group D - match day 4)

After a rocky start to the group stage, We'd run out two victories in a row, and were looking better to qualify for the knock out round. This was the second time against Deportivo, have dispatched them with aplomb, 4 - 1 at Anfield. Rafa was likely feeling confident about their chances of taking all three from Deportivo.

liverpool was passing through the tail end of a fixture glut. Many of the players were undoubtedly not fully fresh, and the tired legs really showed through the midfeild as Deportivo would have numerous chances all game long. Rafa started will Momo sitting in front of the back four alongside of Alonso, but Momo just couldn't get his foot on the ball, and was all out of sorts. The first goal was largely left up to his inability to close down. Deportivo's star striker Luque struck first with a cracking goal some 33 yards out from goal. Certainly one of the goals of the tournament. A viscous left footed curler which thumped in off the right post and left Reina standing helpless.

Deportivo continued to look strong, and after 3 close chances in succession from distance - Rafa yanked Momo at the half hour mark and brought in Luis Garcia.

A few tactical switches, bringing Gerrard back into the middle and pushing Garcia wide, saw Liverpool finally wake from thier walking slumber. As is Liverpool's custom of recent, we struck late in the first half when Peter Crouch latched onto Riise's second bite of the cherry on a cleared corner - and headed the ball through a defensive clump. The ball could have ended up anywhere, but we were releaved to see it end up in the back of the net.

Things were looking even better for Liverpool in the 74th minute, when Djibril Cisse broke the Deportivo trap off a sweet slow slow quick sequence with Alonso and Kewell, and fired into the right side netting past the Depor keeper.

Rafa must have been very dissapointed to see the lead slip away three minutes later as Sami Hyppia had an awful lapse in concentration and fluffed an easy clearance. Carragher was too slow to get over and cover and was unable to stop Deportivo's Victor from picking up the poor clearance and deposited it in the net past Reina, who stood no chance.

Dissapointing though it was to drop points, Liverpool ended up heading the group on 7 points at the end of the day due to a 1 - 0 Bayern FC victory over then group leader Inter Milan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> KOPTALK - ED

No doubt Sami Hyppia felt worse than anybody at the points dropped last night in Liverpool's European Champion's League matchup with Deportivo La Coruna, and his little slip up in form was very uncharacteristic of his absolutely SOLID performances over the year thus far. Of all the positions that Rafa has been worried about covering coming up in the January transfer window, maybe CB wasn't as pressing a need as most had thought it to be. The 32 year-old Finn International has certainly lost a step, but he's really never relied on his speed in dominating the opposition in defense. Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end for the future legend and form Anfield captain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was really looking forward to today's run out for the reserves against a strong reserve side for Blackburn, who were sitting tied for 3rd in the league alongside Everton, just 2 points ahead of us. It had been months since I had played! Okay, not months - maybe only 3 weeks, but if felt like eternity.

I was given another chance with the team, at the expense of Danny Guthrie. Danny had been a solid choice in reserve all year, and had performed professionally, but wasn't looking to be getting any chance with the Senior side. News came that Rafa was shopping him and a few of the other lads around, trying to find a permanent home for them in professional football, or a place to go on loan to give them one last chance to prove they might develope. Guthrie was still only just 18, so he might hook on a loan. But for now, he wasn't even on the bench.

(Reserves Group 1, Matchday #7)

Venue: Wrexham Racecourse Grounds

Opponent: Blackburn Reserves

Attendance: 2100

Liverpool Reserves Starting Line-Up:

………Mellor……Platt

……………………………………

…Gonzalez……Murphy……Wilkie

……………Townley

Mangani……O'Donnell……Woods……Raven

………………Kirkland

Bench:

Barrett

Roberts

Jones

Peltier (on 45' for Townley)

Smyth

Score: Liverpool Res. 3 - 0 Blackburn Res.

Liverpool Res: Mellor 4' (Platt), 82' (Gonzalez); Murphy 15' (Gonzalez)

Blackburn Res: none

Man of the Match: Mark Gonzalez

3 weeks since I last played, and the butterflies were really fluttering in the stomach before kickoff. i would be facing real pros of the game in Steven Reid and Gary Flitcroft - both hard nose journeymen looking to push their way back into the first team. Despite their presence, I could sense confidence from our team, especially from the likes of Kirkland and Mellor.

The plan, as per usual, was to come out with a high tempo and snatch control of the match from the outset. It worked to, and from our very first serious attack on Blackburn's net we went one up. In the 4th minute, Conal Platt slipped a sweetly weighted through ball behind the defense for Neil Mellor to run on to and lash past Encklemen, the Blackburn Reserve Keeper

LFC Res 1 - 0 Blackburn Reserves

I quickly forgot my butterflies, and settled into the game. We almost snatched a second goal in the 7th minutes, when Speedy Gonzalez launched a header to me in the box which I flicked on. Platt picked up the bouncer and spun to fire a shot, which was parried away by the keeper. Platt was muscled out of the rebound and McEvly cleared the lines.

In the 10th minute Gonzales took possession in midfield and played a nice long ball toward Mellor. Reading the play well, I took off for the second ball, which Mellor headed forward for me. I rounded the keeper and flashed a shot on the stretch, but it didn't have enough power, and Blackburn center back Amoruso cleared the ball off the line. Oh so close to opening my Reserve account up!

I didn't have to wait much longer before another chance came thanks to sparkling wing play from Speedy. In the 14th minutes, Gonzalez control a goal kick from Kirkland and broke down the wing. Having gained the touchline, Gonzales looked for a moment that he was going to dribble in on goal himself, which pulled Blackburn center back Fitzgerald off me. Quick to recognize the advantage, Gonzalez punched a cross into the 6 yard box which I used my whole frame to dive and get on the end of, glancing the header past the keeper into the back right of the net. Before I could get off the ground I was mobbed by my teammates. Crushed under the pile I was all smiles! Yes! Well, I knew that I could score at this level. And Paco Herrera knew as well.

LFC Res 2 - 0 Blackburn Res.

Gonzales and Mellor terrorized the Blackburn defense all day. Especially Gonzales - first one Michael Cole in the first half, and then on Jamie Smith after Michael was completely shattered at half time. We had several chances to take it to three before the half, but Mellor, myself, and O'Donnell all spurned chances provided by Gonzalez

HT: No really big changes from coach in the locker room. He was large in his praise for us, both on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball - holding Blackburn to one 1 or 2 really meaningful chances.

We continued to dominate the chances, and though I provided good knock down opportunities for my team mates to feed off of, and generally felt that I contributed much to the offensive build up, I had two clear opportunities in front of goal and just couldn't direct my attempts on goal. If we weren't dominating the game so much I'm sure coach and team mates would have been more emphatic in their disappointment that I didn't finish them.

Just as I thought I might have blown my best chances to impress, we struck and finished off the game in a build up play that I felt I contributed to. O'Donnell launched a clearance which I raced to get onto and headed down to Gonzalez. Gonzales controlled the tap down and played a nice ball diagonal past his marker for Mellor to race into, and with his left peg he finished past Enckleman for his brace

LFC Res 3 - 0 Blackburn Res.

There were no more real chances to speak of for the remainder of the day. We had shown real quality on the day, pushing Blackburn down below us on the table. Everybody had played very well on the day, and was proud that no rust had set in during our mini-break. I really felt I had shown more to coach, and also felt I stood a good chance of remaining in the side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats:

Name(form)min/pas,cmp,key,tck,won,hea,won,key,int,run,off,fou,fld,sho,sot-gls/ast-note:

Terry Murphy(9)90 / 25 19 5 3 2 12 8 3 2 1 2 0 3 5 2 - 1 goal / 0 asst

Liverpool U18s @ Sheffield Wednesdays U18s (League Cup Round #3)

The Academy also had a run out in the afternoon at Brakenmoor Ridge against Sheff Weds, in which they were a bit inconsitent in thier play but still came away from the contest with the victory and safe passage into the next round of play.

Noble and Bridges continued to boss the build up of play for LFC, but Sheffield Wednesday chose to by-pass them in thier build up and played a lot of long ball into the U18s decimated defense. What made matters worse was that Dave Barnes went down injured early in the first half - and Sheffield went on to win most of the second balls, even when Jack Hobbs was first to the entry ball.

Adam Hammill, who was turning out to be a very reliable player for both the Reserve team and the youth team, was the hero of the match, scoring the go ahead goal in the 69th minute of play. But after an ugly fall in the last minute of regular time, he too would be added to the list of walking wounded.

Looking at the rest of the squad sheet, I noticed more and more that very junior players from the Academy were making making appearances. I wondered if some of us who had been promoted to the Reserve team for the latest run of games, would soon find ourselves back at the Academy quick time because of the spate of injuries and such.

I knew from past experience that getting mixed up with a girl usually tends to be a huge distraction on whatever your current priorities are. Lots of things tend to take a back seat to spending time together. Liverpool FC would never take a back seat to anything, but I sound found myself looking to spend more of my off time with Ryann. Who wouldn't really - did you catch that description - hottie "Nicole Kiddman" type.

Turns out that Ryann's little sister had won a drawing/lottery that you could put in for online, or in the Echo - to get an exclusive chance to have your picture taken with 'Old Big Ears'. She chose to have Ryann go with her to have thier pictures taken together, and they wanted me to go along to make it even more official like.

They were all smiles, and even got a chance to heft the massive trophy that Steven Gerrard had once held aloft in that most improbable of victories. Ryann noted where the cup was dented, and I explained it was from when Milan Baros famously had accidently dropped it during the celebrations on the night of May 25th. Ryann's sister ended up paying a fair few extra quid to have thier picture framed with a few extra touches

I had seen the trophy live on a couple of occasions so I was a bit surprised when I noted that the dent looked a bit more jagged, and the cup a bit more shiney then I remembered. At first I'd put it down to bad lighting when I'd first seen it. But then, the more I thought about it . . . the more that didn't seem right.

That night I invited Ryann down to the Academy. The amphitheatre there often served as a stage for local bands to come down and play a gig in front of a willing young audience. The atmosphere was often very good, and the facilities were first rate. I took it as a chance to impress Ryann. Well, the band playing that night 'The Subways' pretty much sucked, but I found that we had a bit more in common that just our mixed ancestry. I found out that there was another person in Liverpool that really liked country western music. An increadibly rare occurance, and one which most people would never own up to in public, much less on a first "date".

A couple of the guys were about also, so I introduced Ryann to Ronnie, Mark, and Paddy. A huge mistake, I must say, as I would later never hear the end of it! icon_biggrin.gif - "Murph must have paid to have that fit bird on his arm! How much was she, eh?" and much much worse!

Some very surprising news came to my attention while in training at Melwood. Rafa and Paco were indeed looking to hook some more of the Reserve and Academy players up with first team time at a lower league team. I knew that Danny Guthrie's name was mentioned, the lad who I had replaced in the side 'temporarily' . . . or so I thought!

Danny was in the training room after the afternoon practice gathering his things from locker, and I overheard him talking to Phil Townley and David Mannix.

"So, that's it then? Do you know how long your going to be there for?" said Mannix, who leaned forward on his crutches, his face screwed up a bit. I couldn't tell if it was in disgust, or dissapointment, or something else.

"Well, coach mentioned that they had asked for a loaner for the rest of the year. He didn't think a year long loan would be best for me or for the side. Coach asked me yesterday what I thought."

"A year!" Townley broke in. "Bloody hell, why don't they just let you go then? By the time you got back who knows if you'd have a spot."

"A year seemed hopelessly long, but coach assured me that I would likely get a consistent run out in a very competitive side. Thing is, I think I still stand a chance here. I know everybody is high on these new lads, but I have already paid my dues." said Guthrie, though he sounded a bit unconvinced himself.

"Normally, I would say yeah, but Danny," interjected Mannix "This new coaching regime doesn't know you very well. As far as they are concerned, nobody here has any "credit" saved up from past seasons. If they see somebody new they like, it's going to out with the old in with the bold. That is what has me so concerned being out for 6 months with another bloody break! None of the staff really knows me here now!"

"I know, I know." said Guthrie, even less sure of himself now. He already had all of his gear shoved in the bag and looked set to leave. "Well . . . so, I talked with me dad, and he seemed to think that a spot would still be here for the taking if I left for only a short time. But he also said if I felt I was getting a fair shake with Rochdale, I might consider making the switch permanent if they wanted me. 'The footballing world is tough to make a living at' - he said."

"Tough! It's bloody damn impossible unless the stars are all lined up!" added Townley as they left the training room. "I think you should go for it mate. Give Rochdale a chance. They are mid table 2nd League - so you'll definately get good pitch time against some good professionals."

For me, that meant competition for a reserve spot in midfield could open up even more! Mannix was still recovering from his injury and Lee Peltier was seeing most of his time in defense. That left Callum Woods and Mark Jones still looking to hold down a regular spot. 3 players, including me, for 2 spots. That math was sounding very good to me!

I cannot recall another time in my life where circumstances were as good as they are right now.

As little as 6 months ago, I was little more than a b@stard kopite - an OOT taking up some local spot in the Anfield Kop. Now, I had become an adopted Scouser, and although I still recieved a lot of stick for my height and appearance - I also recieved an equal amount of praise as I was easily recognizeable to those few who attended the Liverpool Ressies matches in Wrexham.

Although I'm a little hesitant to mention Ryann on the list of bright spots in my life, as we've really only just met - it sure does feel great thinking that she is going to be up in the stands cheering with a special eye towards me. Don't know how long that will last, or if she even thought of me much outside of a friend.

Indeed the math had added up to me making another run out for the LFC reservers side. For the third game on the trot I was given the starting MC spot - this time in a run out against Bolton Wanderer's reserve side sitting middle of the table.

What's more, we would actually be running out against Alejandro Sanchez Fernandez! Alejandro had been performing brilliantly for Bolton, in his time there he had featured in EIGHT (8) first team fixtures and had found the back of the net an amazing 6 times, with one assist.

I knew he would be up for this matchup, but not in the same way that perhaps a player who had been let go from a team would want to prove something to his former team. I think that Liverpool really liked Alejandro's talent and looked forward to having him returned to the fold after good match experience. Likely a spot in the Academy team would be waiting for him on his return, perhaps even a promotion to the Reserve side.

• 3 weeks later...

(Reserves Group 1, Match week # 8)

Venue: Reebok Stadium, Bolton

Opponent: Bolton Reserves (3 – 1 – 3)

Attendance: 1254

LFC Reserves Starting Line-Up:

………Mellor……Platt

……………………………………

…Gonzales……Murphy……Townley

……………Barrigan

Mangani……O’Donnell……Woods……Bertini

………………Kirkland

Bench:

Barrett

Wilkie (on 45 for Townley)

Smith ( on 81 for Mangani)

Peltier

Smyth (on 81 for Platt)

Score: Bolton Reserves 0 – 3 Liverpool Reserves

Bolton: None

Liverpool: Murphy 7’ (Townley), 22’ (Platt), 81’ (Wilkie)

Man of the Match: Terry Murphy

I was somewhat surprised to see how many devoted fans of the Bolton ressies had showed up at Reebok Stadium to cheer on the junior Wanderers. Of course, their cheers and cries were drowned out in the vacuous stadium which is normally home to 30,000+ screaming supporters.

Alejandro Fernandez was looking a bit comfortable in hit Bolton kit, but he was very quick to come up before the kickoff and chat around with the coaching staff. It was a little awkward when he approached a few of us he knew from the U-18 side. I laughed a bit with him about the mountains of goals the Academy boys had been scoring – but didn’t let on that I had been in on that mountain. Still I wished him good luck in the rest of his time at the Reebok, and told him we were looking forward to having him back.

We expected much of the attack to come pointed through Alejandro, and had him scouted to a tee. Still, he had his chances as he deftly shook his markers more than a few times – but for the thrust of the match he just couldn’t find the killer stroke. Soon after kickoff, however, he would get a close look at just what had been happening at the Academy in his absence. Buoyed by what I felt was becoming my best form – I struck jackpot. And jackpot in a huge way.

The players were barely warmed up yet, when I had the ball in the back of the net off of pretty poor marking. Bertini tossed in a quick throw deep in Bolton’s end to Peltier. Bolton center half Adreadakis had been marking me closely, but as Peltier turned with the ball, he inexplicably turned off of me towards Mellor, who was already well marked by 3 defenders at the back post. Peltier cross was good, but really didn’t have to be as I chested it down and dribbled in closer, free to pass it into the back of the net past the stranded Bolton keeper.

Bolton (0 – 1) Liverpool : Murphy 2’ (Peltier)

I could have made it two in the 19th minute, as Platt came bombing down the right flank and picked out Gonzales in the back side of the 6 yard box. Gonzales headed down to me, but I scuffed the shot a bit, and the Bolton keeper parried it away.

Antonia Barragan was given a run out at the holding midfeild position. He was lithe for the position, but his distribution on the day would be smooth. He sent Platt free on the right flank again in the 22nd minute. Platt’s cross was whipped in with good pace, and I rose up again to victimize Adreadakis with a glancing header which nestled in the left side netting for our second.

Bolton (0 – 2) Liverpool : Murphy 22’ (Platt)

Mellor’s physical presence seemed to pull a lot of attention from the defenders regularly, leaving Platt and Gonzales plenty of room up the wings to not only provide good service all day long, but also to break behind the defense for some chances of their own. Platt spurned a good chance from Gonzales near the end of the first half, but their willingness to work out wide and dart in accented the chaos that we were able to cause.

Half time: Bolton (0 – 2) Liverpool

Townley who had been out wide right but completely anonymous during the half gave way to Wilkie. Like for like. With hopefully more of a presence out wide, Platt would have more opportunities in front of goal

Platt was kicking himself soon after the restart for his profligacy in front of goal. The tactic to bring him more to the center worked immediately. Mellor and I cut huge figures in the center, drawing the mid-field defense and the center backs over. I nice safe pass from Barragan to me turned dangerous as I flicked on to Platt breaking through unmarked into the box. However, Platt went for power over placement, and was left holding his head as he saw his effort beat the keeper but skim off the top of the bar for nowt.

Chris Kirkland had a comfortable day in goal. Bolton was able to get some efforts in on his box, but it served only to keep him on his guard. Alejandro Fernandez working on the left side, crafted a well timed cross over our trapping defense – which put his striking partner James Gibb in. Gibb’s header was quality, but Kirkland was almost telepathic in his read of the play and almost magically snatched down a sure goal at the back post to preserve the shutout to that point.

We patiently went looking for the third goal to kill off the game. In the 80th minute, after switching fields in midfield twice, Wilkie found the proper killer ball. Andreadakis fell victim to his hat-trick of poor marking mistakes; when given the choice to mark either myself, or the diminutive Platt both bombing into the box, for some reason he went with Platt. Wilkie had only to center it in to me at that point, and before Andreadakis could turn on me, I had turned the ball into the net for my own hat-trick. [/b}

Bolton (0 – 3) Liverpool : Murphy 81’ (Wilkie)

In a bit of a scare, Alejandro Fernandez went down clutching his ankle in the 86th minute – but it seemed to be only a precaution when he was subbed out.

Bolton’s keeper kept the score from getting worse as in the dying minutes he kept out my snap shot effort from a Gonzales cross, and then denied Gonzales himself with a kick save in injury time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats:

Name(form)min/pas,cmp,key,tck,won,hea,won,key,int,run,off,fou,fld,sho,sot-gls/ast-note:

Terry Murphy (10) 90 / 33 22 4 2 0 11 9 2 1 1 1 3 1 5 5 – 3 goals/0 assists

How incredibly well informed that post was. Maybe you'd rather stay away from threads if you don't like the teams that are at the centre of attention, instead of coming up with slagging like that.

It doesn't matter what team people are managing, it's the story that's important and so far, uskopite has been doing a great job of telling his story. KUTGW icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johned:

liverpool are crap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear oh dear, the level of intellect among some forum members is quite frightening.

Couldn't have put it better myself axeman icon14.gif

Thanks -Xenon-

I just feel bad for those who are trying their hardest to make a story out of their game, when morons come around and blast them to smithereens with some ill informed nonsense.

Like I said, uskopite is doing a fine job of telling a story, I'd love to see where he can take it from the player's perspective.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johned:

liverpool are crap

they are really really crap

we will beat them on wednesday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What has that got anything to do with the stories written in this part of the SI Forums? If you want to spout nonsense, do so elsewhere. Nobody in here appreciates your BS.

Xenon and axeman - I appreciate your support for the structure of the forum - and thanks for the encouragement.

Johned - Look mate, I really love the rivalry between our teams - and in any other forum I would enjoy tearing your side apart. But this really is a story forum, and so your type of baiting has no place. If you offered something in the way of constructive criticism, and a barb, I wouldn't mind it at all; But as it is - give it a rest.

Three matches now with the reserves since the call up from the Academy, and I felt I was going from strength to strength. My first game out was a bit of a shocker against Leeds, but I didn't play badly. Against Blackburn I found my voice in the side and struck the back of the net. And now - a hat trick.

I would'nt dare talk to the coaches about what thier intentions with me were. Maybe that was for fear that they would tell I was going back down inspite of all that I felt I was accomplishing. Maybe also for fear of looking like I was trying to show off and draw attention to myself.

------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool v Birmingham

The Brummies of Birmingham were more recently seen as cannon fodder of the Premiership. A team upon which the large clubs feaster for points. But this year was turning out to be a banner year for the Blues. They were sitting 5th in the table due mostly to their great form at home, and making themselves unbeatable on the road with a 5-6-2 record in all games.

The squad was coming off a run of tough games in succession, and the pace of the season might have started to wear on the side. Rafa looked to mix it up a bit up front, with Morientes leading the line and little Luis in the hole. Rafa also pulled Gerrard in off the wing and tried putting Alonso out wide, looking to start the build up from the flank, with Gerrard bowling up the middle to change the angle of attack.

Birmingham indeed turned out to be a very well organized side, and for long stretches it looked like the Brummies were going to come to Anfield and take a point. But in a stunning 2 minute period, Gerrard's had an irresitable moment of genius (cracking a 20 yarder through the crowded box off of a Riise set piece lay off) followed by a mazy run and finish from Morientes, and Liverpool conjured up thier 6th clean sheet in 11 Premier league games to stay atop the table by a clear 5 points over Chelsea and 6 over Arsenal.

The victory set the stage for a short turnaround - when just 4 days later Birmingham would return to Anfeild for the 4th round of the league cup.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Three goals!! Bloody hell Murph, what has gotten into you."

"I don't know Mark, it's just clicking. Things definately move faster here, and are much more physical - but people like Mellor and Gonzales are pure quality. They've taken alot of attention on the field, and open up alot of possibilities to me."

"Well, you certainly are taking your chances. We were all pulling for you mate. So what do you think your chances are of getting a run out in the league cup game?"

"Its not impossible, but I really doubt it Mark. Rafa has said that he intends on taking these cup game very seriously. A few of the reserve lads may get a run out, but I would not be surprised at all if you see a pretty strong side fielded. Well anyways, enough about that mate. I think your time will come soon."

"Ah whatever Murph. We are enjoying our football here. Its only a matter of time now, I figure. Might as well win everything we can since we are here."

"Hah, so you think you lot can score without me - You'll be begging me to come back down there in a couple of weeks!"

"Don't make me laugh. I didn't think it was possible but it turns out your head is just as big as the rest of yer, you knob!"

"Terrance Patrick Murphy - well that sure is a good full blooded Irish name." said Paul Willis beaming as he and I sat side by side during training warmups. Paul was the back up keeper for Liverpool's reserve side. He was also the starting keeper for Northern Ireland's U-21 men's team. His obvious talent was one of the reasons that Liverpool had brought him into the team. Paul was going to be a good professional keeper no doubt, but it was looking more and more like he was going to have to really break into full time footballing at another team, and likely at a lower level.

"Well, my dad and his whole half of the family are tickled absolute pink with this whole proposition." I said. "Of course they think I should grab on with both hands. Their whole arguement is, basically, that England has enough 'stars' that grace thier ranks at all levels. Shooting stars more like it. One generation replaces the next, and as brightly as your star shines, it is as quickly extinguished. But once a legend in Ireland - always a legend."

"Trust me on this one Terry. Playing in the English Premier League is no doubt the greatest professional acheivement that anybody from the United Kingdom could hope for. Any Irishman would be right proud to strap on the boots for any of these top teams. And the money . . . ooh I don't have to mention," Paul said with a chuckle, and then went on in seriousness, "but when it comes to playing for your country and following your heart - Ireland always holds it special players close to her heart. There is a special appreciation there, the likes of which you don't see after young guys leave the English U-21 and national team set up. For England it is always about - who is the next big thing. I'd say ring up Potter before you go off making any big decisions. Things in the Republic of Irelands U-21 side might be different, but I suspect you would be accepted immediately, and be truly appreciated."

I listened closely and pondered on that for a bit, but the my decision on who to play for was already made up in my mind.

Neil Banfield, the coach of the Republic of Ireland's U-21 team had called my home last night, and broached the subject with my father. This morning Coach Herrera pulled me aside and also spoke to me Ireland's desire to call me up for the next Internation junior friendly on the 11th. This, after a few weeks ago being called into Coach Owens office with the news that England's U-21 set up was also looking to bring me into training camp.

I knew this moment would come soon after England came a knocking. Because of my trio of citizenship's with the US and Ireland through my dad and grandpa, and England through my mom - I was going to be at the center of a little international . . . er . . . personal crisis. Who did I really owe my allegiance to? where did my heart lay when it came to international football. I always followed each of the teams closely in qualifications and the world cup. Most of my interest lay in how the United States was progressing by leaps and bounds in the international arena. But truth be told, I had already dropped off of Bruce Arena's and his US scouts radars as I didn't really get into organized football until, well . . . just now. Zach Witbread reassured me that nobody over there (state-side_ had the slightest idea about me - and that they were alread too nearsighted to notice what was going on outside of the "Olympic Developmental Team" in terms of talent for the national youth squads.

So that left England or Ireland. And my mind was already made up . . . .

icon_smile.gif

(League Cup 4th Rnd)

Venue: Anfield, Liverpool

Opponent: Birmingham

Attendance: 26919

LFC Reserves Starting Line-Up:

………Mellor……Cisse

Riise…………………………Sinama-Pongolle

……………Sissoko

……………Hamann

Warnock……Josemi……Carragher……Finnan

………………Dudek

Bench:

Zenden (on 61 for Warnock)

Gerrard

Reina

Crouch (on 82 for Sinama-Pongolle)

Murphy (on 61 for Hamann)

Score: Liverpool 2 – 0 Birmingham

Birmingham: None

Liverpool: Cisse 76’(pen), Mellor 83’ (Crouch)

Man of the Match: Steve Finnan

To say that I didn’t expect to even make the bench for this match would have been just about right. It was a bit embarrassing at first, as I felt there were several others who were equally as deserving to be in my spot, if not more so. But there I was, in my gray “trackies†sitting down the end of the bench – right next to the man for whom I drew a lot of comparison: Peter Crouch.

The crowd wasn’t half the size of those I’d experienced as a supporter on European nights, but when you are down on the pitch and you are met by the wall of sound after YNWA, even half the number seems like the whole world in bearing down on you to a bloke who has never experienced support from so many of the Anfield faithful. I was in awe. Good thing that I wasn’t starting, as surely I wasn’t really in the proper mindset to be out there right now.

When the opposition side was announced and the players took up their places on the field, among those to take their placse was a former Red whose Anfield career was largely anonymous right up until practically his last kick with the Reds. But those last few kicks would propel him high up in Liverpool lore forever more. [b}Vladimir Smicer [/b], the oft injured attacking midfielder, struck European gold with his now legendary strike which took the Reds in Istanbul to within one goal of A.C. Milan on that night in May. His last kick for the Reds would be a superbly taken penalty in the shootout which kept Liverpool in the drivers seat. Vlad had missed the return to Anfield just 4 days ago due to fitness problems, but as his name was announced the kop erupted in applause and cheers, showing genuine gratitude for one who had, at the 11th hour, become their own.

A half hour into the match, when I’d finally come to a bit of a sense of how things were going on the pitch. It was apparent that Birmingham were once again proving to be very pesky in their organization. The crowd roared the Reds on, but the whole match right into half time had been very stop-start, with neither side taking a clear grasp on the match. Sinama-Pongolle had provided consistent scoring chances, but his efforts, though well stricken, were unfortunately almost straight at the Brummie keeper Taylor – and really posed no problems. The best chance of the half came in the dying seconds when Mellor’s glancing header from a typical Riise long throw, was tipped over the bar safely by Taylor.

Half Time: This was really my first time seeing how Rafa handled the squad behind close doors. I marveled at how well organized and clear his ideas were as he set up the side and changed tactics for the second half. My previous coaches, Paco Herrera and Coach Owens, also presented their changes during the half time break – but the instruction provided and the idea behind those changes were not always clear and most of the time amounted to a quick rah rah to get the lads up again for the second half. But Rafa, just then, grew to be a giant in my eyes. He was not a player on the pitch, and yet somehow you just felt it was he who was pulling the strings and would be a huge influence despite not one kick on the ball.

Liverpool started the second half in a much livelier and organized fashion. And, although Birmingham had the first opportunity of the second half, when Emile Heskey (another former Red) muscled his way past Josemi into the box to head a lofted cross just over the bar, amazingly that proved to be the last REAL chance that the Brummies would have. Cisse should have put us up in the 49th minute as a well worked ball in the midfield found him in space, and even with plenty of time, Cisse clear shot was too near Taylor, who pushed it away and out for a corner. With that, Rafa had all us up off the substitute’s bench and warming up.

I was grateful to be up running around now – even if only for the possibly to work out some of my nervous energy, though I kept one eye on the game.

We were keeping the pressure on, but many of our chances were coming from distance; a cross would come in from wide and the taller Birmingham players like Heskey and Upson would turn away the good chances, leaving Riise and Sinama-Pongolle to pick up the bits and pieces to blast back in. Taylor was dealing with those well.

In the 59th minute, Paco Ayesteran called Zenden and myself over to the technical area and began briefing us on the situation. First and foremost, Birmingham was winning way to many of the 50 – 50 headed balls into the box. Second, Warnock was sitting solid in defense, but wasn’t looking comfortable going forward. At that moment – Rafa walked up, and taking Zenden and me by the shoulders, walked us over to the 4th officials area all the while providing instruction on what his ideas for the game were going to be.

“Terrance, you know in the reserve side we have been playing you in the center of the pitch and allowing you to make your way forward at the end of the attack to come in less marked – and possibly by smaller players. This time, you will get forward early from midfield into the attack. I want you to draw the attention of their central defenders off of Cisse and Mellor. Make them go with you! Also we do not expect you to hold the ball and create out of midfield, so don’t worry – the flow of play is going up the flanks – but you must try to win more of the high ball into the area. If you do not, you must race back on defense and win those same ball for us on the other end. Go now . . . okay Bolo, you need to . . . “

Zenden joined me at the half field line, and in the 61st minute I came in for Didi Hamann.

I was in! I was in the side at ANFIELD – on the very same pitch as Carragher, Cisse, Riise, and Dudek!!! What a high. What a dream.

Catching my breath, it was a few minutes before I really had the wherewithal to work in with the play. But as the opportunity presented it self I pushed forward, and just as Rafa had foreseen, the center half would pull out on me, leaving Mellor and Cisse to deal with the smaller Birmingham fullbacks. Cisse in particular enjoyed a run of 7 or 8 minutes were he was torturing Martin Taylor, and forced two good saves from Maik Taylor, the keeper – though at a sharp angle.

The pressure was fully on, as we won 3 or 4 corner in succession. On the last in that series, Riise whipped a corner in. Carragher, rising above his smaller marker was clear in on the cross when suddenly Maik Taylor came rushing through the crowd to try and punch. Getting nowhere near the ball, Taylor made solid contact only with Carra on the lunge and sent him sprawling into a crowd of players. Out came the shrill tweet of the refs whistle. . .PENALTY. . .

Carra, the captain on the day as Stevie sat over on the substitute’s bench, signaled Cisse to take it. Confidently, and with no little arrogance, Cisse spotted that ball, and blasted a be-be into the roof of the net, right over faltering Taylor.

Liverpool (1 – 0) Birmingham : Cisse 76’ (pen)

Birmingham was down, and now had to try and get men forward in attack. However we were more than up to it, especially with Sissoko was winning the ball back in midfield with ease. In the 81st minute Rafa brought on Crouch for Sinama-Pongolle – and he pushed Cisse out on the right wing. The idea was to have our midfield drop back more in support of the back four – and then try direct play down to Crouch to hold onto and bring Cisse, Mellor and Zenden into play.

The tactics didn’t really have time to work as in the very next minute we had the ball in the back of the Birmingham net again! Finnan collected a back pass from Sissoko and immediately sent Cisse marauding down the right wing with a 30-yard pass. Cisse drew in toward the box and crack a 25 yarder that Taylor could only block back out. We were all breaking forward into the area when the rebound came out to Crouch at the top of the box. With Upson and Cunningham (the two CBs) pulled out on me and him, Crouch slipped a nice pass into the seam for Mellor to run onto, and he blasted a 15 yard shot in stride right past Taylor for the second goal to kill off the tie.

Liverpool (2 – 0) Birmingham : Mellor 83’ (Crouch)

Down two nil, Birmingham didn’t close up shop, but pushed to the last whistle to make a game of it. Yet, it wasn’t enough – and when the whistle blew I was standing on the field with arms raised in victory listening to the roar from the fans.

It was then that I realized something that would make my travels at Anfield seem a bit easier. I might never be as influential as Gerrard or Alonso in the team. How could one hope to come and supplant such a tandem laying at the heart of Anfield’s success these last couple of years. But at some point in the future I could still have a place on the pitch near them. Rafa had shown me that I have been, and will be influential in games – with out hardly even touching a ball: As much as my height has made me a target for ridicule in the past, it is that self same attention that it draws on the football field which will disguise our other players movements around the box and up the field. I could make a difference.

Stats:

Terry Murphy (7) 29 / 10 9 2 0 0 4 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 – 0 gls/0 ast

Archived