How important is the language barrier?

My experiences are that he will lose balls more often (balls drop off his foot etc), or tends to walk in the wrong places sometimes. Depending on the player's adaptability it mostly takes a season or sometimes even longer before he really starts to play to his full potential. If you look at his personal tab and see he has learned the language (basic) you'll see he'll perform better then before.

Especially for defenders it's very important if he speaks the language, he tends to make more mistakes because of communication errors probably, but also because every new player needs some time to gell as well ofcourse. But it does takes longer if he doesn't speak the language.

I've found it tends to make results 'fluctuate' wildly. League 2 Bury, 3 new French lads in (play regularly when not injured - top quality imports), tactics the same, the rest of the team the same, gelling not an issue. Results up and down like crazy, and if my assistant reports that one, two or (god forbid) all three of them are having 'communication' problems, I'm waiting for the inevitable critical mistake. In fairness, the goalkeeper has been solid. But the defender and the striker... urgh!

Makes you wonder whether there's an international footballing sign for 'hoof it up the pitch as far as you can lad' or better still 'I just want you to put the round thing in the net'. ;)

in a word: huge. Personally I find adaptability has been hugely overstated in this version. I can't get world class players to perform in their first season, usually 18 months before they find their feet depending on their rating.

That is.. if it's under say 15 adaptability i find it huge.

I have a good CB from Brazil in my team. On a good day he plays great and destroys the entire opposition between him and his partner. But he speaks no English... And because I had to sell the experienced CB of the pair I had (much interest in both of them, I decided I would sell one but keep the other) I had to look for a decent CB, specifically with English nationality to ease the blending in time for this vital position.

Currently, I find that though the Brazilian is in theory better, the pair with my young original CB and the new experienced English CB works much better and dependably. Fewer silly mistakes (marking wrong player) or giving away the ball (mispasses). And the new guy has had almost 0 time settling in. I'm sure nationality and language had a big role in the difference in performance.

• 1 month later...

Just reviving the thread to gain more opinion.

I've currently have enough quality to be in the European places in England but 7 out of my starting 11 don't understand even basic English.

I was wondering if anybody has concrete evidence of the problems that this causes and if there is anyway round it.

It's not so much the language, it's their "adaptability" to settling in another country. You can't see their adaptability attribute as it's hidden (unless using an editor or scout utility), but your scouts and coaches will advise if they might struggle to settle in.

If a player's adaptability is high, then they should usually learn the language quicker. If they're not even learning the basic language of the country your team is in, then that might suggest they have low adaptability.

I don't think it's that important. Modric who do not know English in the 1st season can win the player of my club(Tottenham) award and was harshly ko out of the league best player award because he was injured in the last few weeks of the season.

Archived