What is this place you keep calling London? - The Russian Revolution Challenge

Let me introduce myself. My name is Vladimir Shiagichevskiy – but you can call me Vlad, I come from Russia but not with love! I come to your country to do a job for my cousin Roman, you may have heard of him apparently he’s playing around with some underachieving football club in this place you call London. Roman often comes to me with jobs – back in the homeland he would always come up to me - Vlad, can you dispose of this, can you make sure this gets to Turkey, can you pick up my nephew from the school, can you sing for me – I asks no questions, Vlad does not ask questions no he just gets the job done. My Cousin comes to me a month ago and he says, “Vlad, I have another job for you†He wants me to find a respectable Russian man to control his new football club here at this place Chelshkiy, I know a things or two about football – this man Ranieri is a bit strange, he keeps walking around the footballers at Roman’s club telling them to do things with the footballs. I speaks to one of the footballers Mr Veron – he said something but my English is poor and I thinks he was not speaking English anyway, but he was not happy with this Ranieri man. To shorter a long story cut Roman wanted Ranieri man gone, I gave Ranieri his options – he chose to drive away and leave this land England back to Norway or whatever he is from. How do you say… ok, now there is no Ranieri man so we need a new man, I have spoken to Roman and there are no Russian football managers willing to come to Chelsea (not Chelshkiy apparently). It is too hot in this crazy land according to most of thems – we will wait for now. Roman lets me look after footballers for now.

Polish star joins Russian revolution

23 year old Polish striker Emmanuel Olisadebe is the latest international star to join Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea squad for the coming season. Abramovich has stated that Olisadebe is the final piece of the puzzle at this stage, however he may open up the clubs 78 million budget in the Christmas transfer window if required. Olisadebe came at a cut-price 8.5 million from Greek side PAO and is said to be very happy to be with such an ambitious team.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me introduce myself. My name is Vladimir Shiagichevskiy – but you can call me Vlad, I come from Russia but not with love! I come to your country to do a job for my cousin Roman, you may have heard of him apparently he’s playing around with some underachieving football club in this place you call London. Roman often comes to me with jobs – back in the homeland he would always come up to me - Vlad, can you dispose of this, can you make sure this gets to Turkey, can you pick up my nephew from the school, can you sing for me – I asks no questions, Vlad does not ask questions no he just gets the job done. My Cousin comes to me a month ago and he says, “Vlad, I have another job for you†He wants me to find a respectable Russian man to control his new football club here at this place Chelshkiy, I know a things or two about football – this man Ranieri is a bit strange, he keeps walking around the footballers at Roman’s club telling them to do things with the footballs. I speaks to one of the footballers Mr Veron – he said something but my English is poor and I thinks he was not speaking English anyway, but he was not happy with this Ranieri man. To shorter a long story cut Roman wanted Ranieri man gone, I gave Ranieri his options – he chose to drive away and leave this land England back to Norway or whatever he is from. How do you say… ok, now there is no Ranieri man so we need a new man, I have spoken to Roman and there are no Russian football managers willing to come to Chelsea (not Chelshkiy apparently). It is too hot in this crazy land according to most of thems – we will wait for now. Roman lets me look after footballers for now.

23 year old Polish striker Emmanuel Olisadebe is the latest international star to join Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea squad for the coming season. Abramovich has stated that Olisadebe is the final piece of the puzzle at this stage, however he may open up the clubs 78 million budget in the Christmas transfer window if required. Olisadebe came at a cut-price 8.5 million from Greek side PAO and is said to be very happy to be with such an ambitious team.

Well Roman has told me to keep looking after the footballers while he continues to discussion with another manager Mr Van Gaal or something like that. I am starting to learn quickly about football game, I still don’t get that Petit man’s hair yet though – he likes it but though, it is very soft to touch and it smells better than most of the woman back in Vladivostok!

Roman says that Van Gaal man didn’t want his filthy money apparently, what is filthy anyway? Money is money in Russia, no-one asks questions - stupid Van Gaal man. Roman now says that I am new manager of Chelsea, say we need to work on my resume a bit before press conference tonight.

Unknown Russian to take charge of Roman Chelsea

Ever heard of Vladimir Shiagichevskiy? No, neither have we but he is the man who Roman Abramovich believes will control his millions of investments on the football pitch. Rumours have it that he is a former hitman from Vladivostok who has worked significantly with Abramovich in the past. Football wise he seems to have had a career in the minor leagues in Russia and coached a regional side five years ago. This will be interesting!

[Cheers bjorn - have fun with the challenge!]

[incidently - cm4 ep5 with latest database, except no Crespo icon_frown.gif]

This is what my coaching staff have to say about my new footballers, I am just getting to know these guys but will be good unit I thinks. Roman has told me he expects to win premiership this year, my job is to make footballers work together as champion team.

Chelsea FC Squad

Goalkeepers

Carlo Cudicini GK, Italian, 29

A strong, experienced keeper, the Milanese born Cudicini is a hero at Stamford bridge and is already one of the more gifted keepers in the premiership.

Jurgen Macho GK, Austrian, 25

The young Austrian keeper has been around the English game a few years now and his aerial ability and handling make him a sound back-up keeper.

Reserves

Marco Ambrosio, Italian, 29

Lenny Pidgeley, English, 16

Defenders

Celestine Babayaro D/DM L, Nigerian, 24

Pace, excitement, and great delivery make Babayaro an exciting prospect, he can play full back or on the left flank and his versatility is important to this team.

Wayne Bridge D/DM L, English, 22

Already an England international Bridge is a mature footballer for his young age, he’s very sound technically and likes to push deep down the left.

Marcel Desailly D/DM C, French, 34

Veteran central defender with over 100 caps, Desailly is the club captain at Chelsea and still offers a lot in his 35th year.

William Gallas D R/L/C, French, 25

A quick all-round defender who can play any position across the back – probably currently Chelsea’s best defender, has drawn a lot of attention from both Italian and Spanish clubs.

Mario Melchiot D/DM R/C, Dutch, 25

Quick, sound passer and tackler who can play centre back or full back, Melchiot is often underrated but always does a job.

John Terry D C, English, 21

Strong, young, quick centre back who has come through the ranks at Chelsea, along with Bridge will play for England for many years yet - possibly a future captain of the club.

Reserves

Winston Bogarde, Dutch, 31

Glenn Johnson, English, 18

Valerio Di Cesare, Italian, 19

Robert Huth, German, 18

Joel Kitamirike, English, 18

Midfielders

Joe Cole AM L/C, English, 20

An England international at 20 with West Ham, Cole is a hugely gifted footballer for his young age, a superb passer of the ball and can also make surging runs from deep.

Damian Duff AM/F L, Irish, 23

Removing him from Blackburn was the hard part, this incredibly quick, smart winger will I’m sure soon become a crowd favourite due to his flashy and explosive style of football.

Geremi DM R/C, Cameroonian, 23

Former Real Madrid player who is very strong on the ball and can also hit a pretty mean free kick, good years ahead of him.

Jesper Gronkjaer AM/F R/L, Danish, 24

Just as good on his right side as his natural left, similar too Duff in that he loves to take on defenders and is lightning quick.

Frank Lampard AM C, English, 24

Another youngster from the West Ham academy who’s made the trip across London, Lampard has the ability but is yet to consistently prove his worth – good, old-fashioned playmaker.

Emmanuel Petit D/DM C, French, 31

Intimidating, strong, tough ball winner who also demonstrates a level of class which is rare among defensive midfielders. Nearing the end of his career.

Juan Sebastian Veron AM C, Argentinian, 27

A somewhat enigmatic ball player who will hope to disprove those doubters who don’t believe he’s suited to the English game.

Boudewijn Zenden AM L, Dutch, 26

A very quick, nimble left winger who is very attacking and loves to hit the sideline and run hard at the defenders.

Reserves

Mbark Boussafa, Dutch, 18

Joe Keenan, English, 19

Alexis Nicholas, English, 19

Filipe Oliveira, Portugese, 18

Mario Stanic, Croation, 30

Forwards

Eidur Gudjohnsen S C, Icelandic, 24

A sound all-round striker who is ready to make his mark in the English game, huge potential and very quick and strong.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink S C, Dutch, 30

Now a veteran striker, Hasselbaink is still quick enough to worry opponents and his strength and guile will make life difficult for many defences.

Adrian Mutu F C, Romanian, 23

Big name signing who is still young – very quick forward, plays best just behind the strikers.

Emmanuel Olisadebe S C, Polish, 23

The all-round strike package – v. quick, powerful, athletic and clinical in front of goals – perhaps the most important purchase of the new regime.

Reserves

Mikael Forssell, Finnish, 21

Carlton Cole, English, 18

Sebastien Kneissl, German, 19

Pre-season '02

Away to Dinamo Moscow 0-0

Away to CSKA Moscow 0-1

Away to Cardiff 2-0 Hasselbaink, Mutu

Away to Sheffield Utd 3-0 Mutu(2), Gudjohnsen

Away to Wycombe 0-2

We (Roman and I) take the team back to Russia to show footballers what it is like in our homeland, I see my wife Tatiana who still stays home away from me, Roman is getting her out to London with me soon he say to me. Nice to see beautiful Russian woman again! I unveil my 4-4-2 formation with old-style attacking wingers, this will take Chelsea to glory with me Vlad and Roman in charge. Both Dinamo and CSKA too good for us but they are in middle of season and much better fitness right now, for rest of pre-season we come back to England and sunshine. Good displays beating Cardiff and Sheffield Utd with then reserves team losing to Wycombe – not worrying. Best footballers have been young Joe Cole, Gronkjaer and Gallas, Gronkjaer surprise me – I was looking for a new right winger, spend some more money, but Jesper plays very good so far. New signings Mutu and Duff have trouble fitting in so far, but I give them time. Bring on premier league I says.

August ‘02

We start the season proper with a few crucial matches, first our very much big games against Danish club team to take us into Champions Cup group phase, we also lucky to play Man Utd early in season. I am excited!

FC Copenhagen @ Parken, Copenhagen – Champions Cup Q.Rd 3 Leg 1

Cudicini(8), Bridge(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(6), Duff(6), Cole(8), Veron(7), Gronkjaer(8), Mutu(6), Gudjohnsen(7) Subs: Geremi(6), Hasselbaink(6)

FC Copenhagen 0 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 41119

In a dour encounter at Parken Chelsea left Copenhagen with a clean sheet which they will hope to take advantage of in the return leg. The Chelsea strike force of Mutu and Gudjohnsen was particularly ineffective, if they qualify for the first phase new acquisition Olisadebe will add more potency to the attack.

Manchester United @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Bridge(8), Melchiot(7), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(7), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Lampard(7), Duff(7), Mutu(7)

Chelsea 1 – 1 Man Utd

Olisadebe 18

Att: 42431

Opening day of the premier league season and it’s Man U at Stamford Bridge, Emmanuel Olisadebe made his debut for Chelsea today and marked it with a debut goal on 18 minutes. Man U however looked a pretty solid unit without Veron and Beckham, equalising early in the 2nd half - the final result was fitting at the end of the day. Notably Veron was in superb form against Alex Ferguson and his former club.

Bolton @ Reebok Stadium, Bolton – English Premier League

Cudicini(6), Bridge(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(7), Terry(8), Duff(7), Veron(8), Geremi(7), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Mutu(8) Subs: Babayaro(6), Cole(7), Gudjohnson(7)

Bolton 1 – 2 Chelsea

Gronkjaer 21

Veron 47

Att: 25786

On Wednesday Chelsea travelled to Bolton to play a good team on paper following Bolton’s off season pick-up of Brazilian marksman Jardel. It was an even match early, however Chelsea soon gained the ascendency through the hard work through the midfield, the match ended 2-1 to Chelsea with Gronkjaer and Veron on the scoresheet.

Birmingham @ St Andrews, Birmingham – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnson(8) Subs: Babayaro(7), Lampard(7), Geremi(7)

Birmingham 0 – 3 Chelsea

Gudjohnsen 15, 26

Olisadebe 16

Att: 29791

On the road again this time at Birmingham against a side who surprised everyone last season with a top half finish. Chelsea took charge early and half an hour in they were up 3-0 and it was all over, the partnership of Gudjohnsen(2 goals) and Olisadebe(1) is starting to gel.

FC Copenhagen @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Q.Rd 3 Leg 2

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(7), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Geremi(7), Zenden(7)

Chelsea 2 – 0 FC Copenhagen

Agg. 2 – 0

Gudjohnsen 63,68

Att: 41408

This was a huge game financially for the club and on the pitch. FC Copenhagen came out confidently and they didn’t make it easy for Chelsea, it wasn’t till the 2nd half that Gudjohnsen broke free from his marker and scored a quick brace. Chelsea were in the Champions Cup proper now so watch out!

At the end of the first month of the season we are poised nicely, sitting fifth in EPL behind early season leaders Newcastle. Team is beginning to play good football, Duff and Cole are best midfielders right now and Olisadebe is in very goods touch. Following our qualification for group phase of Champion Cup we will battle it out over the coming months in group D with Bayern Munich (Germany), Skonta Riga (Latvia) and Real Sociedad (Spain).

September ‘02

The first month of season has gone without injury scare, which says we are lucky so far but I believe we have the depth to cover any injury loss at this stage. In coming month we play 3 huge Champions Cup matches, starting with Real Sociedad on Wednesday; it is soft month of Premier League matches – we should be beating the likes of Portsmouth, Middlesborough and Spurs easily if we to win league title.

Old Man Leads Magpies to Top

Bobby Robson has taken out the premierships manager of the month award for August after leading Newcastle to a perfect 4 wins from 4 games, Robson continues to defy critics with his masterful guidance of the talented Newcastle squad which he believes are ready to challenge for the title. Man City’s Nicholas Anelka has taken out the player of the month award and Chelsea yougster John Terry was awarded the young player of the month award.

Real Sociedad @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D

Cudicini(8), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(7), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: -

Chelsea 4 – 0 Real Sociedad

Gudjohnsen 6

Own goal 9

Gallas 47

Olisadebe 59

Gronkjaer sent off

Att: 36589

A confident start to the Chelsea Champions Cup campaign was required, today this was provided by a dominant first half performance. Stupidly Gronkjaer was sent-off early in the 2nd half, the ten men of Chelsea proceeded to continue attacking and Real Sociedad offered very little fight. The ten players who started for Chelsea finished and all were superb today.

This is how Vlad’s team plays football – on top early and hard, not letting up, I should not have talk about injuries this week as Veron has hurt shoulder today – physio says maybe a month?

Tottenham @ White Hart Lane, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(7), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(7), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnson(8) Subs: Desailly(7)

Tottenham 0 – 2 Chelsea

Gudjohnsen 44, 78

Att: 36209

The short trip up to White Hart Lane was nothing more than a Sunday stroll in the park for this richly talented Chelsea side who have taken all before them under the guidance of Vladimir Shiagichevskiy and Roman Abramovich. Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen put away a goal late in each half to seal the result.

Portsmouth @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(10), Gudjohnson(9) Subs: Hasselbaink(6), Lampard(8), Mutu(7)

Chelsea 6 – 0 Portsmouth

Olisadebe 9, 45, 51

Gudjohnsen 17, 43, 55

Att: 41692

A 6 goal result for Chelsea today – and it was a showcase for the 2 strikers to display their wares. At the final whistle Olisadebe and Gudjohnsen sat in tracksuits, rested on the bench after both wrapping up hat-tricks early in the first half. It was a massacre – Olisadebe pipped Gudjohnsen for MOM honours amongst the press gallery.

Gronkjaer is suspended today, lucky we play little Latvian team who pose no problem for powerhouse Chelsea side with Vlad in charge. Me and Roman will conquer all! You see? I Give Mutu chance to play today – he has disappointed many so far this season.

Skonto Riga @ Skonto, Riga – Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen (8), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Lampard(8), Babayaro(8), Hasselbaink(8)

Skonto 0 – 6 Chelsea

Gudjohnsen 12, 41

Olisadebe 17

Hasselbaink 78

Gallas 84

Att: 8662

Another 6 goal result for Chelsea, this game was never a contest to start with and when Skonto had 2 players sent-off either side of half time it became ridiculously easy for Chelsea.

Middlesborough @ The Riverside Stadium, Middlesborough – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Gudjohnson (8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Hasselbaink(7), Lampard(7), Mutu(8)

Middlesborough 1 – 3 Chelsea

Olisadebe 4, 48

Hasselbaink 88

Att: 32579

Once again Chelsea travel away and bring back 3 points, this time Middlesborough the opposition and they struggled to make any impact against a solid Chelsea outfit. 2 goals from Olisadebe and a late sealer by Gudjohnsen were enough to put away Boro.

Roman comes to Vlad today, I thinks he has another job for me but he just tell me well done, he is very happy with current job. Our star keeper Cudicini has sore calf after match so next couple matches I give Jurgen Macho a chance between the sticks.

Bayern Munich @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D

Macho(8), Bridge(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(7), Terry(7), Duff(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Gudjohnsen (7), Olisadebe(7) Subs: Hasselbaink(8), Desailly(6)

Chelsea 1 – 1 Bayern Munich

Hasselbaink 78

Att: 41485

Possibly Chelsea’s biggest game of the season so far and their talented side built in the summer struggled to handle the pressure applied by Bayern – a side who expect to win whenever they play. Roy Makaay, chased by Chelsea and Bayern over the summer proved his worth giving Bayern the lead on 67 minutes and they looked comfortable, thankfully for Chelsea late substitute Hasselbaink equalised in the 78th minute and that was how it ended.

Blackburn @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Macho(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Gronkjaer(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Duff(8), Gudjohnson (8) Subs: Hasselbaink(7), Veron(8)

Chelsea 3 – 0 Blackburn

Duff 7

Hasselbaink 74, 76

Att: 39794

The fortress they call Stamford Bridge is slowly growing in reputation. Chelsea disposed of Blackburn today with former starlet Damian Duff playing up front and scoring against his former club. Premier League leading goal scorer Emmanuel Olisadebe was rested today and it makes you wonder what a full strength Chelsea could have done? Hasselbaink came on as a sub and scored a late brace to seal the result, although it was never in doubt.

At the end of September we sit 3rd in premiership 2 points behind Man U and Newcastle, but we have a game in hand. In Champion Cup we are 3rd after 3 matches, we must beat Sociedad in Spain to have chance of going further. Big Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has found good form and is showing me that he has lot to offer to club still, I likes Jimmy he is big and strong character – good man who I trust.

Mr Roman he comes to me today, he is promising my lovely Tatiana will be with me in London soon. I miss her dearly!

Abramovich Stung in Immigration Racket

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has been detained by Scotland Yard in relation to illegal immigration visa's he had allegedly attempted to courier to Moscow on September 12 this year. There is speculation the visa's were for a group of former soviet socialist activist's who are currently believed to be in hiding somewhere in Siberia. Mr Abramovich has had nothing to say in regards to the soviet refugee's and claims the documents were legal and that this is another example of the unjust treatment of the Russian people in Western Europe. It is believed a lengthy court case is set to follow this issue.

October ‘02

Following a stunning September with 6 wins and 1 draw, we must now back up to keep pressure on the top clubs around us. Vlad’s men must be strong and unrelenting in charge for both Premier League and Champion Cup.

Chelsea Clean Sweep

Emmanuel Olisadebe’s excellent start to his premiership career has been rewarded with September’s Player of the Month award, since moving from Greece to London Olisadebe has also forced his way back into the Polish national side through his great recent form. Manager of the Month for September was awarded to previously unknown Russian Manager Vladimir Shiagichevskiy and Chelsea’s sweep of the September awards were completed by John Terry’s second Young Player of the Month for the season.

Wolves @ Molineaux, Wolverhampton – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Bridge(8), Melchiot(7), Gallas(7), Terry(9), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Hasselbaink(8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Babayaro(7), Geremi(7)

Wolves 0 – 1 Chelsea

Olisadebe 51

Att: 28116

Surprise packet Wolves pushed Chelsea all the way at Molineaux. The match pitting 4th vs 1st was tight all the way with Chelsea’s break coming when Paul Ince was sent-off early in the 2nd half, Olisadebe was given the chance and as he’s displayed this season he doesn’t need to be given anything – he beat the keeper from 12 yards to score the deciding goal.

Everton @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(9), Gudjohnson(8) Subs: Hasselbaink(7), Geremi(8), Mutu(7)

Chelsea 4 – 0 Everton

Olisadebe 6

Duff 10

Gudjohnsen 53

Geremi 92

Att: 39886

Chelsea cruised while Everton self destructed today. After only 10 minutes Chelsea were up 2-0 with strikes by Olisadebe and Duff, however it was what happened next that shaped the match. After holding on till almost half time Everton had Watson sent-off in the 44th minute and then early in the 2nd half Radzinski was also dismissed for kicking Duff – Gudjohnsen and Geremi added further goals to finalise the result. Everton are going to struggle this season if they put in more performances like this one.

Charlton @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(7), Duff(7), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnson(8) Subs: Geremi(7), Lampard(7), Mutu(8)

Chelsea 3 – 1 Charlton

Olisadebe 20, 53

Mutu 90

Att: 42443

10 league games undefeated for Chelsea this season following a tough 3-1 victory over a very competitive Charlton outfit. 2 goals from Olisadebe had Chelsea leading comfortably, however the enigmatic Di Canio scored a cracker on 74 minutes to make it a one goal margin and a nervous final 15 minutes. The game was made safe by late substitute Mutu’s finish in injury time.

Roman tells me not worry about visa problems in papers just worry about Bayern on Wednesday night, he say he will get Tatiana out here soon as possible, just have to wait for dust to settle on visa scandal. I am enjoying life in London, very multicultural here especially at Chelsea, in recent international fixtures we had 11 countries represented. Language barrier is less now – my English gooder now than few month ago.

Bayern Munich @ Munchner Olympiastalion, Munich – Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D

Cudicini(6), Bridge(7), Melchiot(7), Gallas(6), Terry(6), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(7), Olisadebe(7), Gudjohnson(7) Subs: Geremi(6), Lampard(7), Coelha da Silva(6)

Bayern Munich 3 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 57268

This was a result Chelsea appeared to have little control over, from the opening whistle Bayern were dominant and by half time they led by 2 Elber goals. Scholl added a 3rd in the 2nd half and Chelsea were heading back to London licking their wounds and hoping this result wouldn’t affect their Champions Cup aspirations.

Vlad will make a couple of changes after bad loss to Bayern (Roman not happy!) Wayne Bridge needs to find some form and Eidur Gudjohnsen is starting frustrating me, I will see what to do.

Manchester City @ Maine Road, Manchester – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(7), Olisadebe(8), Hasselbaink(8) Subs: Bridge(7), Lampard(6), Gudjohnsen(8)

Man City 3 – 3 Chelsea

Olisadebe 28

Hasselbaink 60 pen

Duff 90

Att: 32765

This was a cracking game of football at Maine Road, Anelka gave City the lead early and then following Olisadebe’s equaliser Anelka immediately took the lead back. 2-1 at half time and more to come, on the hour mark Olisadebe was fouled in the area and Hasselbaink converted the spot kick to tie up the scores, Man City then continued to create chances and on 83 minutes Fowler scored what City must have thought would be the winning goal. It wasn’t to be though, deep into injury time Duff broke through down the left for Chelsea to cut inside and beat the keeper from the edge of the area, final whistle 3-3.

Real Sociedad @ Anoeta, San Sebastian – Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D

Cudicini(8), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Desailly(7), Duff(7), Veron(7), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(7), Hasselbaink(8), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Lampard(7), Mutu(8)

Real Sociedad 0 – 3 Chelsea

Hasselbaink 14

Olisadebe 34, 82

Att: 28739

Chelsea’s second tough away fixture in the first phase of the Champions Cup and a very different result to the Bayern fixture. This was the good side of Chelsea as they ran out 3 goal winners in a must win game, with Hasselbaink(1) and Olisadebe(2) on the score sheet this almost confirms Chelsea’s advancement to phase 2 as they must now only defeat the lowly Skonto at Stamford Bridge.

October has left us 1st in Premier League (still undefeated) and 2nd in Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D, all up a good month of football for us. Game with Man City best football match I have seen in England very exciting, Emmanuel Olisadebe is leading Premiership goal scorers with 12 to this point. Major disappointment of losing heavy to Bayern Munich was slightly overcome by big win against Sociedad but we will not win group now in Champion Cup so will get tough draw in next stage.

November ‘02

This month has some hard fixtures in Premier League at home to Liverpool and away to Arsenal, we must also have to defeat Skonto Riga to go through to Champions Cup Phase 2, this should be good win and good news for club, if we get win.

Vladimir Does it Again

Chelsea boss Vladimir Shiagichevskiy has done it again claiming the Manager of the Month award for September following a very successful integration into the English game this season. Manchester United’s Mikael Silvestre took out the Player of the Month and young Villain Gareth Barry has taken out the Young Player of the Month.

Fulham @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(7), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(7), Hasselbaink(8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Babayaro(7), Gudjohnsen(6)

Chelsea 3 – 1 Fulham

Hasselbaink 11 pen

Veron 39

Joe Cole 77

Att: 42426

Chelsea continued their early dominance of the Premier League with a comfortable win over close neighbours Fulham at Stamford Bridge. The midfield duo of Veron and Geremi starred against the Cottagers, with Veron also hitting the back of the net late in the 1st half – other goalscorers were Hasselbaink and Joe Cole, Marlet scored a late consolation goal for Fulham.

Charlton @ The Valley, London – English League Cup 3rd Round

Cudicini(6), Bridge(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(7), Terry(7), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(7), Olisadebe(7), Gudjohnson(6) Subs: Hasselbaink(7), Lampard(8), Gronkjaer(7)

Charlton 1 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 26800

At the Valley today we finally saw the first chink in the new Chelsea army, Charlton absorbed the Chelsea pressure and on 30 minutes crowd favourite Di Canio scored the winning goal, his 2nd against Chelsea this season. It was a game of missed chances for Chelsea’s strikers who missed numerous easy opportunities.

Aston Villa @ Villa Park, Birmingham – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(7), Melchiot(7), Gallas(7), Terry(6), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(7), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(9), Hasselbaink(7) Subs: Cole(7), Lampard(7)

Aston Villa 1 – 2 Chelsea

Hasselbaink 15 pen

Gallas 57

Att: 40663

Chelsea rebounded from the mid-week League Cup defeat against Charlton with a good Victory over Aston Villa, goals by Hasselbaink and Gallas put Chelsea in a comfortable position before in the 83rd minute Villa’s best player on the day, Sergey Semak fired home a cracking goal from 35 yards, it was merely consolation though.

Skonto Riga @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Phase 1 Group D

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen(8), Olisadebe(10) Subs: Lampard(8), Babayaro(8), Hasselbaink(8)

Chelsea 7 – 0 Skonto Riga

Gudjohnsen 8

Geremi 18

Olisadebe 34, 64, 81

Mutu 84

Hasselbaink 90

Att: 42438

This was the game everyone expected Chelsea to win putting them through to the 2nd Phase Group Stage of the Champions Cup. 5 goalscorers and a 7 goal thrashing ensured that Chelsea would line up against the big boys of European football in the 2nd Phase. Olisadebe scored a fine hat-trick to be the star of this show, also on the score sheet were Gudjohnsen, Geremi, Mutu and Hasselbaink.

Euro Giants to Challenge Chelsea

In the 2nd Phase of the Champions Cup Chelsea have been drawn with seasoned veterans of the European game in AC Milan, Borrusia Dortmund and Deportivo de La Caruna in Group D. Newcomers to the rigours of the Champions Cup Chelsea are expected to struggle to make it through the quarter finals from this dangerous group, Chelsea boss Vlad Shiagichevskiy does not discount his clubs chances just yet and believes they will be better for the experience.

Liverpool @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Gudjohnsen(8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Cole(8), Hasselbaink(6), Lampard(7)

Chelsea 0 – 0 Liverpool

Att: 41420

Liverpool were lucky to gain a point in this match and whilst they definitely gained a point, Chelsea lost 2 points. Chelsea had early chances but could not beat Dudek in the Liverpool goal, as the game went on the chances dried up and in the end this was a dull game lacking creative endeavour from either side.

Arsenal @ Highbury, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Bridge(5), Melchiot(8), Gallas(7), Terry(7), Cole(8), Veron(6), Geremi(7), Gronkjaer(7), Gudjohnsen(8), Olisadebe(7) Subs: Babayaro(6), Hasselbaink(6), Duff(7)

Arsenal 2 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 38404

Chelsea’s undefeated start in the Premier League was halted at 14 with the defeat at the hands of Arsenal. The Gunners came out fast and confident and they deservedly took the lead through Pires, then when Lauren smashed home a 2nd it was all over. Chelsea has a couple of worries coming out of this one, there were passengers today and when the pressure mounted off-season recruit Wayne Bridge looked decidedly unsure and Juan Veron just looked disinterested.

Deportivo de La Caruna @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Phase 2 Group D

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(9), Terry(8), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(9), Hasselbaink(8) Subs: Cole(7), Mutu(8), Bridge(7)

Chelsea 3 – 0 Deportivo

Olisadebe 8, 50

Hasselbaink 80 pen

Att: 37941

Up against the likes of Milan, Dortmund and Deportivo in the Champions Cup phase 2 group stage Chelsea are going to have to win all matches at Stamford Bridge if they are going to advance – and this was a perfect start. Goals by Olisadebe(2) and Hasselbaink who were consistantly backed up by the midfield four and a rock solid defence saw Chelsea past a talented Deportivo unit. This was a good confidence builder for Chelsea following their defeat at the hands of Arsenal earlier in the week.

November passes and our first Premiership loss goes with it, we must move on now as we still are 1st in Premier League and after big victory over Deportivo we are 1st in Group D in Phase 2 of Champion Cup after only 1 game.

Chelsea Boss Cleared

Roman Abramovich has been cleared of any illegal operations with regards to the visa scandal which has surrounded Mr Abramovich and the Chelsea Football Club in recent weeks. The alleged illegal operation was in fact an attempt by Mr Abramovich to help family members of the new Chelsea manager Vladimir Shiagichevskiy to attain temporary visa's and visit in London. Mr Shiagichevskiy wished to thank Mr Abramovich for his attempts to reunite his family and hopes that the matter will be sorted out quickly.

December ‘02

Mr Abramovich – he say to me today, Vlad we are into final 16 of Champions Cup and are top of Premier League you are doing as I wished and as reward let me say it is time to move out of your studio flat in Kensington. I was confused but also a bit curious. Roman he take me to big house just down road from Stamford Bridge, strange man opened door for me and he show me round big house. Many rooms and many nice artsworks, most beautiful thing in house was in big bedroom where my lovely Tatiana was sitting waiting for me. Roman was able to sort immigration visa for her finally and I am very happy, beautiful new country for my beautiful wife to experience with me here at Chelsea.

Young’s Star Rises

Luke Young has been awarded November’s Premiership Player of the Month, the strong Charlton centre back has starred this season and must be knocking on Sven-Goran Eriksson’s door for England selection. Charlton boss Alan Curbishley deservedly took out the Manager of the Month award after taking his side to a strong 5th place as we near the halfway mark of the season. Young Player of the Month was awarded to Wolves Joleon Lescott, who is believed to be in talks with Southampton over a move when the transfer window re-opens.

Leeds United @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Hasselbaink(8), Olisadebe(10) Subs: Mutu(8)

Olisadebe 17, 22, 68

Gronkjaer 64

Chelsea 4 – 0 Leeds

Att: 27406

An Emmanuel Olisadebe hat-trick saw off Leeds at Stamford Bridge where Chelsea got their Premier League charge back on track today. Leeds had no answer for the quick, powerhouse striker from Poland who will terrorise many more defences this season.

Cameroonian Geremi will be out for a couple of weeks with a injury to his groin, this will give young England stars Frank Lampard and Joe Cole a couple of chances to show what they are worth to team.

Leicester City @ Walkers Stadium, Leicester – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(8), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Lampard(8), Mutu(8), Hasselbaink(9), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Bridge(7), Stanic(7), Zenden(8)

Hasselbaink 4, 12 pen, 24

Gallas 86

Mutu 89

Leicester 0 – 5 Chelsea

Att: 32094

Travelling to bottom of the ladder Leicester, Chelsea rested Duff and Olisadebe but it had no effect on the result. Hasselbaink knocked up a first half hat-trick and then Gallas and Mutu scored a couple of late goals to emphasise the final scoreline. Frank Lampard deputising for Geremi starred in the playmaking midfield role.

Southampton @ St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton – English Premier League

Cudicini(6), Babayaro(6), Melchiot(7), Gallas(6), Terry(8), Duff(6), Veron(8), Lampard(8), Gronkjaer(8), Hasselbaink(7), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Mutu(7), Zenden(7), Cole(6)

Southampton 1 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 32462

A surging Saints team moved up to 4th in the Premiership following a gritty 1-0 defeat of league leaders Chelsea. The dangerous James Beattie scored the only goal of the game with a cracking header that Chelsea keeper Cudicini could only watch as it looped into the far corner of the net.

We underestimated Southampton today and i am disappointed in myself, many players had bad games today we must make sure we do not play bad like this again. On Tuesday we play Milan at San Siro this is huge game and we must forget Southampton game quickly.

AC Milan @ Giuseppe Meazza, San Siro, Milan – Champions Cup Phase 2 Group D

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(6), Melchiot(6), Gallas(6), Terry(6), Cole(6), Veron(7), Lampard(6), Gronkjaer(7), Duff(6), Hasselbaink(6) Subs: Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnsen(6), Bridge(7)

Milan 2 – 2 Chelsea

Olisadebe 56

Veron 65 pen

Att: 61994

A nervous Chelsea side came out against Milan and the Italians took control of the situation taking the lead through Shevchenko on the half hour and then doubling the lead just after half time with a Shevchenko penalty. Chelsea then restructured things bringing on Olisadebe up front and it worked, Olisadebe pulled one back on 56 minutes and then the whistle happy referee awarded another penalty, Veron converting with 25 minutes remaining to tie up the scores. There were no more goals and Chelsea had caused a minor upset by fighting back well to claim a crucial point away from home.

Newcastle @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(7), Melchiot(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Mutu(8), Gronkjaer(8), Olisadebe(8), Hasselbaink(8) Subs: Bridge(7), Gudjohnsen(8), Lampard(6)

Hasselbaink 8, 89

Mutu 48

Chelsea 3 – 1 Newcastle

Att: 39812

Adrian Mutu made his mark today with a sublime free kick from 30 yards to help Chelsea to a 3-1 victory over Newcastle in a top of the Premiership table clash. Hasselbaink scored early and late however it was Mutu that had everyone talking after the match and not just with his free kick. Starting in the centre on midfield and rotating through the right wing up to centre forward and back to midfield Mutu caused all sorts of problems for Newcastle and he finally seems to be settling into the rigours of the English game after an inconspicuous start to his career at Chelsea.

Manchester United @ Old Trafford, Manchester – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(7), Melchiot(7), Gallas(8), Terry(6), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(7), Gronkjaer(8), Hasselbaink(8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Bridge(7), Gudjohnsen(7)

Hasselbaink 21

Gallas 70

Man Utd 0 – 2 Chelsea

Att: 64370

A crowd of almost 65 thousand saw Man U slump to 7th in the Premiership following a 2-0 defeat at the hands of league leaders Chelsea. The Red Devils looked anything but dangerous today and they must seriously look at further recruiting over the Christmas period if they are to contend with the likes of Chelsea. Hasselbaink and Gallas did the damage for Chelsea however it was a solid team effort that didn’t allow Man U a sniff all day, Van Nistelroy’s late penalty was easily saved by Cudicini to make matters worse if they could.

Geremi is fit again and I think he will get back into it for at least a half on Saturday, I will have to start resting some of players soon and Bolton game looks like a good one to try to change it up a bit – we will see.

Bolton @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Johnson(8), Desailly(8), Terry(8), Zenden(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Hasselbaink(8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Lampard(8), Gudjohnsen(7)

Olisadebe 5, 17

Terry 56

Chelsea 3 – 0 Bolton

Att: 37122

Chelsea rested numerous first team players as they look to freshen up to be ready for the Champions Cup onslaught later in the season and it worked a treat. Desailly, Zenden, Mutu and 18yr old Glenn Johnson have all been spending a lot of time cooling their heels in the reserves, today they were unleashed on Bolton and they didn’t waste the opportunity to impress. Goals from Olisadebe (2) and Terry sealed the result, but it was young Johnson who stole the show playing masterfully at right back – this lad could be anything.

As I draw curtains on 2002 I have much to look back on and smile, Chelsea are top of Premier League and also leading our Champion Cup group – my plan to take both these titles is under way and now that I have Tatiana by my side I feel very much at home here in London. Roman has told me that if I wish to look for more players to strengthen Chelsea team I should let him know, he says he wishes for me to take Premiership title and Champions Cup trophy as quickly as possible as he has other business for me upon completion of this. I not sure if we can win Champion Cup yet but we will see how things unravel.

January ‘03

I have considered what Roman say about new players and I have given him a list of players I would like at Chelsea, he is going to see what he can do for me. One of players I would dearly like is Thierry Henry from Arsenal, he would fit in well with Olisadebe at front but we will have to see. My beautiful wife Tatiana says we should buy Frenchman Dugarry, I look at Dugarry and say no – he is sh@t, Tatiana not happy but what does she know of football. She then say I should get Agahowa who plays in Ukraine, like I said what does she know of football! This month I will try to rest key players as we have some easy fixtures, hopefully I will have a full strength squad when Champions Cup starts again next month.

Liverpool Resurgence Rewarded

Gerard Houllier has won the Manager of the Month award and El-Hadji Diouf has taken out the Young Player of the Month award as Liverpool have surged to equal 2nd in the Premiership. Houllier says much of the credit should go to Michael Owen and Harry Kewell who have put in all season and are starting to see the rest of the team pull together behind these two. Chelsea’s powerhouse forward Emmanuel Olisadebe has taken out his second Player of the Month award.

Everton @ Goodison Park, Liverpool – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(7), Johnson(7), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(8), Hasselbaink(6), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Melchiot(6), Gudjohnsen(8), Mutu(6)

Olisadebe 40

Gudjohnsen 86

Everton 0 – 2 Chelsea

Att: 36127

What’s becoming a regulation away victory for Chelsea on the road against lowly opposition. Chelsea played young Glenn Johnson in right back again and he looked very comfortable again today. Goals from Olisadebe and Gudjohnsen sealed the result, however Everton never really threatened Cudicini’s goal.

Southend @ Stamford Bridge, London – FA Cup 3rd Round

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Johnson(8), Desailly(8), Melchiot(8), Zenden(8), Lampard(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Hasselbaink(7), Gudjohnsen(10) Subs: Huth(7), Petit(8), Boussafa(8)

Mutu 19, 39

Gudjohnsen 25, 53, 70

Chelsea 5 – 0 Southend

Att: 36572

Eidur Gudjohnsen found some touch against Southend at Stamford Bridge today scoring a hat-trick for Chelsea. Amazingly almost 37 thousand came out to see this 3rd round FA Cup fixture and they weren’t disappointed by Chelsea’s demolition of little Southend. Adrian Mutu was also on the scoresheet with a brace, the first of which was a cracking free-kick that the Southend keeper had no chance getting.

After defeating Southend we will play Wolves in next FA Cup round, I not to fussed about English cups though – only league and Champion Cup are important. Roman tells me that Arsenal have agreed to a fee for Henry and that we must come to terms with player now. Just heard that Preston have hired Ranieri as manager for rest of season – I didn’t realise he was still in England. Bad news on the training track with Damian Duff jagging hamstring today, physio is doing tests to find how bad.

Chelsea Star Injured

Damian Duff will be out of the Chelsea lineup for at least two months according to the clubs doctor. Duff tore his hamstring in training on Tuesday and the scans delivered the bad news, this injury will test Chelsea’s depth however it is believed Joe Cole will be freed up to play more on the flank and the in form Dane Jesper Gronkjaer will also cover the left more if required.

Birmingham @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Johnson(8), Desailly(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Hasselbaink(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Lampard(8), Bridge(8)

Veron 31

Hasselbaink 85

Chelsea 2 – 0 Birmingham

Att: 40653

With Chelsea missing 5 key players through rest and injury you might think Birmingham could match them. This was not the case as Chelsea seamlessly cut up the Birmingham defence and only poor finishing kept the scoreline down to 2-0, Veron’s strike from distance was unstoppable.

Mills Moves to Stamford Bridge

Danny Mills has made a 3.5m move from financially stricken Leeds to Chelsea, a club who’s current financial status is very healthy. Mills a former England international hopes to force his way into the strong Chelsea defence and push his claims for an England berth once again. It is also strongly rumoured that Arsenal striker Thierry Henry could also be on his way to Stamford Bridge, club officials at Arsenal have stated that if Henry leaves it will be for a substantial fee.

Tottenham @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(9), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Gronkjaer(7), Hasselbaink(6), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Lampard(7), Zenden(7), Mutu(8)

Gudjohnsen 45

Mutu 83, 85

Chelsea 3 – 1 Tottenham

Att: 42422

Spurs came out firing at Stamford Bridge and were the dominant team for most of the first half, however the most influential moment of the game was when Adrian Mutu came on for Chelsea in the 19th minute after Gronkjaer took a knock. Robbie Keane gave Spurs the lead however Gudjohnsen equalised on the stroke of half-time. The second half was the Mutu show, he absolutely dominated everything playing wide right and pushing up to join the strikers at times, eventually scoring twice in 3 minutes just before full-time to seal the victory – his first goal was another cracking free-kick(3rd this season).

Middlesborough @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Zenden(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Veron(8), Olisadebe(8), Mutu(8) Subs: Lampard(7)

Mutu 9, 22

Olisadebe 86 pen

Chelsea 3 – 0 Middlesborough

Att: 39863

Chelsea have this way of putting away opponents who are not up to their now high standards, today was a perfect example of this. With the dangerous duo of Mutu and Olisadebe up front together for the first time this season it smelled like trouble for Boro, and it was. Mutu scored twice in the first 25 minutes both instinctive finishes from Olisadebe shots, the game was over when Olisadebe slotted a penalty with 4 minutes remaining. Remarkably Chelsea are now 13 points clear of 2nd placed Newcastle in the Premier League title race.

Wolverhampton Wanderers @ Molineaux, Wolverhampton – FA Cup 4th Round

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(7), Mills(7), Desailly(6), Melchiot(8), Zenden(6), Cole(8), Lampard(8), Gronkjaer(7), Gudjohnsen(7), Mutu(8) Subs: Hasselbaink(7), Veron(8), Johnson(6)

Wolves 1 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 27431

Wolves knocked Chelsea out of the FA Cup with a Colin Cameron header at Molineaux today, Chelsea who were resting a few players were still fielding a very strong side but Wolves were the better side all day. Chelsea are now out of both English cup competitions and can focus on wrapping up the Premier League and continuing their Champions Cup campaign.

Well January has come and gone, we are well clear of chasing group in premiership just have to keep playing positively now. After no Champion Cup matches this month we still lead our group but there are some big games coming up. Premier League top 5 currently stands as – Chelsea 63pts, Newcastle 50, Liverpool 49, Arsenal 46, Southampton 43. Looks like Babayaro will miss couple of weeks with calf injury, this bad luck as he’s in good form after taking left back spot off Bridge. In other bad news we could not meet Thierry Henry’s contractual requirements – despite offering him double that which he currently takes home, deal is off, we do without Henry there are other footballers.

[This message was edited by Savi on 11 September 2003 at 12:22.]

February ‘03

Henry Back to Brutal Best

Thierry Henry has claimed the Player of the Month award for January following an awesome month of football where he scored 8 times in 5 appearances for a resurgent Arsenal team. Chelsea's Joe Cole took out Young Player of the Month, whilst his manager Vlad Shiagichevskiy won the Manager of the Month award.

Chelsea Unveil’s New Signing’s

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich proudly showed of his latest signings at Stamford Bridge today. Joseba Etxeberria has joined from Athletic Bilbao for an undisclosed fee (believed to be around 35m), Etxeberria is a quick right winger who can also play as a striker he has featured recently at international level for Spain. Quick defender Dmitry Parfenov has joined from Spartak Moscow for 2m, an experienced international defender for the Ukraine Parfenov is expected to add depth to the Chelsea squad. Finally Italian keeper Matteo Sereni has joined from Wolves where he was a fans favourite for 2.3m, Sereni is expected to push Cudicini for the number one spot.

With four new signings I am excited with team that will be on park for rest of season, much depth has been added. I am especially excited about Etxeberria who’s signature we have been chasing all season, I expect he will be in starting 11 pretty soon with the talent he has shown me. It’s time to stand up to big boys in Champion Cup there are very big matches this month, I will cross fingers now.

Portsmouth @ Fratton Park, Portsmouth – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Melchiot(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Mutu(8), Olisadebe(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Etxeberria(7)

Olisadebe 67

Mutu 90

Portsmouth 1 – 2 Chelsea

Att: 19392

Surprisingly Portsmouth really challenged Chelsea and it wasn’t until the 90th minute that Adrian Mutu sealed the victory with a header following smart play by Danny Mills and Joseba Etxeberria down the right. Earlier Emmanuel Olisadebe had given Chelsea the lead however Lee Bradbury equalised for Portsmouth just minutes later. Chelsea’s big money recruit Etxeberria was impressive coming off the bench, he wasn’t expected to figure in today’s game however when the result was up in the air he was thrown on to great effect.

Blackburn Rovers @ Ewood Park, Blackburn – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Bridge(7), Mills(7), Gallas(8), Terry(7), Cole(6), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(7), Olisadebe(7), Mutu(8) Subs: Gronkjaer(7), Parfenov(7)

Mutu 25

Blackburn 0 – 1 Chelsea

Att: 29219

A dispirited Blackburn side took on run away league leaders Chelsea but they barely threatened Cudicini’s goal all day. Chelsea should have won by more however Mutu’s single strike was enough to stretch their winning streak to 9 league games.

I am glad young Babayaro will return for big match against Dortmund we have struggled to cover his loss in last couple matches. If we beat Dortmund on Tuesday it will put us in good position for quarter finals.

Borussia Dortmund @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Phase 2 Group D

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(8), Olisadebe(8), Mutu(8) Subs: Gronkjaer(8), Melchiot (7)

Olisadebe 67

Mutu 73

Chelsea 2 – 0 Dortmund

Att: 41915

Chelsea maintained top spot in Group D of the Champions Cup with a solid 2-0 victory over Borussia Dortmund at Stamford Bridge. The first hour of football was tight however the introduction of Gronkjaer spelt trouble for Dortmund, Chelsea dominated the remainder of the match creating numerous chances with Olisadebe and Mutu scoring the telling goals. These two teams will meet again in Germany next week in what is a must win match for Dortmund if they wish to advance to the quarter finals.

Wolverhampton Wanderers @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Gronkjaer(8), Lampard(8), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(7), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Melchiot(7), Parfenov(7), Hasselbaink(6)

Gudjohnsen 60

Mutu 67

Chelsea 2 – 0 Wolves

Att: 42420

Chelsea cruise to another league victory, this time Wolves who must still be hopeful of European qualification, the victims. Second half goals by Gudjohnsen and Mutu secured the victory, but it was the work down the left all day by Babayaro and Gronkjaer that Wolves simply could not handle.

Chelsea Unstoppable?

As Chelsea took the scalp of Wolves on Saturday to extend their league winning streak to 10, many of the leagues challengers must be wondering if the title is already out of reach now that Chelsea’s lead is stretched to 19 points with 10 matches remaining. Man Utd and Arsenal continue to struggle in 6th and 5th places respectively and must be concerned about missing out on European qualification, Man Utd have had a dreadful run of injuries losing both Van Nistelrooy and Solskjaer for the remainder of the season.

Borussia Dortmund @ Westfalenstadion, Dortmund – Champions Cup Phase 2 Group D

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(7), Mills(6), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Gronkjaer(8), Veron(8), Geremi(6), Etxeberria(8), Mutu(8), Olisadebe(7) Subs: Melchiot(7)

Dortmund 1 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 60079

Borussia Dortmund kept alive their hopes of advancing to the Champions Cup quarter finals by defeating Chelsea in Dortmund thanks to a Ewerthon strike in the first half. This was an exciting game of football with both sides attacking freely, however it was the Brazilian’s class finish which separated the sides after 90 minutes, Chelsea could rue the numerous chances that went begging in the second half.

We end month on a sour note as we lose to Dortmund but Champion Cup hopes are still good, we must take points off Deportivo in Spain and Milan at Stamford Bridge next month to advance to quarter finals. Still we lead premiership by 19 points but must not take for granted now, still there is job to be done. Hopefully Damian Duff will be fully fit in next few days, his run down left has been missed recently. On to March and business end of season begins!

March ‘03

Russian Takes Award Again

The Chelsea success story this season has been once again rewarded as Vladimir Shiagichevskiy was awarded with his 4th Manager of the Month award today, he has taken the Abramovich funded Chelsea lineup to the top of the Premier League and they are on the verge of playing the quarter finals of the Champions League. Villa’s Darius Vassell won the Player of the Month award and his team-mate Jlloyd Samuel was awarded Young Player of the Month.

Awards are nice to place with mantelpiece but are not really important to me, we must focus on doing job in remainder of group stage in Champion Cup. We play Charlton tomorrow, I am beginning to really not like Charlton they seem to always play very good against us.

Charlton @ The Valley, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(6), Babayaro(8), Parfenov(6), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(6), Hasselbaink(6), Mutu(8) Subs: Gronkjaer(6), Lampard(7), Gudjihnsen(7)

Terry 36

Charlton 2 – 1 Chelsea

Att: 26797

For the second time this season Charlton have defeated Chelsea in a cross London showdown. Terry had given Chelsea the lead at the Valley with a cracking drive, Johansson soon equalised for Charlton and late in the match Rufus scored with a 35 yard drive past Cudicini who had a game to forget. Charlton have been the only team in England to make Chelsea look second rate this season. That’s the biggest compliment you can get in the present English football climate.

Gunners Claim League Cup

Arsenal defeated arch rivals Man Utd 3-1 at Millenium Stadium to take the English League Cup back to London. Vieira, Lauren and Kanu scored for the Gunners while Scholes could only manage a consolation for Utd. Arsenal are starting to run into some league form moving up to 3rd on the weekend, however they are unlikely to challenge Chelsea who are still 17 points ahead of Arsenal.

Manchester City @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Sereni(7), Babayaro(8), Melchiot(7), Gallas(7), Terry(8), Duff(7), Cole(8), Geremi(7), Gronkjaer(8), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Etxeberria(7), Parfenov(7), Hasselbaink(7)

Gronkjaer 3

Gudjohnsen 22, 58

Chelsea 3 – 3 Man City

Att: 39765

The first time these teams met this season we witnessed a cracking 3-3 draw, today the scoreline was remarkably 3-3 again following an excitement packed 90 minutes. Chelsea took the lead 3 times today through Gronkjaer and Gudjohnsen twice but City equalised 3 times through Fowler twice and Berkovic. In the final minute Mutu had a chance to claim all 3 points for Chelsea but he hit the upright from 20 yards and the ball bounced clear for City.

Deportivo de La Coruna @ Riazor, A Coruna – Champions Cup Phase 2 Group D

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(7), Melchiot(8), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(7), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen(7), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Cole(8), Etxeberria(7), Desailly (8)

Desailly 77

Mutu 90

Deportivo 0 – 2 Chelsea

Att: 32728

Chelsea flew out of Spain after destroying Deportivo’s chances of advancement in the Champions Cup with a 2-0 victory, at the same time in Italy Milan blew away Dortmund 5-0, Milan and Chelsea who meet on Wednesday in the final group game are subsequently already through to the next round. Chelsea absorbed Deportivo’s early pressure to eventually see them off with late goals from the veteran Desailly and Mutu.

Now we are definitely through to quarter final so can breath easier now and make sure players are fresh for big games coming up.

Fulham @ Loftus Road, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(7), Mills(8), Desailly(8), Melchiot(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Lampard(8), Etxeberria(7), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Geremi(8), Parfenov(7), Hasselbaink(8)

Mutu 25 pen, 58

Gudjohnsen 45

Hasselbaink 90

Fulham 1 – 4 Chelsea

Att: 19142

A relaxed Chelsea outfit took the pitch today after qualifying for the European Champions Cup Quarter Finals during midweek against Deportivo. Fulham were on the end of a 4-1 hammering with goals by Mutu(2), Gudjohnsen and Hasselbaink too much for the improving Cottagers side.

AC Milan @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Phase 2 Group D

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(8), Mills(7), Gallas(8), Terry(6), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Mutu(8), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Melchiot(7), Geremi(7), Etxeberria(7)

Olisadebe 38 pen

Veron 90

Chelsea 2 – 0 Milan

Att: 42435

Chelsea ensured that they qualified for the quarter finals from the top of their group following a moral boosting 2-0 victory over Milan who will also advance to the quarter finals. An Olisadebe penalty and a late goal for Veron sealed the result, but it was a Milan side who were more determined to protect their players today and if Chelsea come up against Milan again they will get a much tougher contest.

England well represented in final 8

Three English clubs will carry the hopes of a nation into the quarter finals of the European Champions Cup. Breakaway Premier League leaders Chelsea will play Dutch giants Ajax over two legs for a place in the semi finals. The other match-ups are, Manchester Utd v AC Milan, Newcastle Utd v Inter Milan and Juventus v Bayern Munich.

Aston Villa @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Parfenov(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(8), Veron(8), Mutu(8), Gronkjaer(8), Hasselbaink(7), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Geremi(7), Etxeberria(6)

Duff 28

Hasselbaink 36, 52 pen

Chelsea 3 – 0 Aston Villa

Att: 41080

Damian Duff played the best game of his Chelsea career guiding them to a 3-0 victory over Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge. Dufff scored a cracking goal dribbling the ball down the left flank, cutting in to the area and curling the ball past Sorensen into the far corner of the goal. Hasselbaink scored the other 2 goals, first left with a simple finish after build up play by Duff and Olisadebe and the second from the spot after Olisadebe was dragged down.

Late season injuries are starting to take toll on club. Lots of little niggles, I try to rest players whenever possible, unfortunately look like Mutu has broken toe he will miss 2 weeks which probably means he missing first match against Ajax. With 6 league matches remaining we only need one more win to seal the league title, it will be nice to claim this as soon as possible so we can focus on Champions Cup. I am very proud of making quarter finals of Champion Cup in first attempt, but Roman say that we must not stop here, must keep going, try to win cup now. I am still proud.

April ‘03

Redknapp’s fighting spirit rewarded

Harry Redknapp’s Portsmouth team continue to defy the critics as they surge out of the relegation zone, sitting dead last mid-year Portsmouth are now looking likely to retain their Premier League status for next season. Redknapp was awarded the Manager of the Month award for March for his superb leadership in trying times. Newcastle’s Kieran Dyer has won the Player of the Month award and team mate Hugo Viana was awarded with the Young Player of the Month.

With only 2 points needed in 6 games to seal Premiership title I will rest players against Leeds on Saturday for big match away to Ajax on Wednesday. We cannot afford more injuries after Mutu situation, unfortunately I just received a release from UEFA saying that Olisadebe will be suspended for Ajax match due to disciplinary record – just what wanted to hear!

Leeds @ Elland Road, Leeds – English Premier League

Sereni(7), Babayaro(7), Mills(7), Desailly(7), Melchiot(8), Zenden(7), Lampard(8), Petit(8), Geremi(7), Hasselbaink(6), Gudjohnsen(6) Subs: Forssell(7), Parfenov(7), Oliveira(7)

Geremi 13

Leeds 1 – 1 Chelsea

Att: 39199

Chelsea moved one point closer to the Premier League title following a 1-1 draw away to Leeds. Geremi gave Chelsea the early lead however Seth Johnson soon equalised for a Leeds side fighting against relegation and this was the end of the scoring. In an entertaining match Chelsea’s predominantly reserve side took it up to Leeds and were unlucky not to wrap up the title today.

Ajax @ Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam – Champions Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(7), Melchiot(6), Gallas(7), Terry(8), Duff(8), Veron(8), Geremi(7), Gronkjaer(8), Mutu(8), Hasselbaink(8) Subs: Mills(7), Cole(8), Gudjohnsen(6)

Ajax 1 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 44899

Ajax will go to Stamford Bridge with a one goal lead against Chelsea following a hard fought 1-0 result at the Amsterdam ArenA. A strong Chelsea side including the Romanian forward Adrian Mutu who was expected to miss the match but missing leading scorer Emmanuel Olisadebe took to the pitch, and they appeared to have taken the lead on the half hour when Mutu flicked on for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to thrash past Sander Boschker in the Ajax goal, however Mutu was adjudged off-side. A scoreless first half advantaged Chelsea however this was soon to change, on 55 minutes young Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic took the ball at the edge of the area, beat 2 defenders and rounded Carlo Cudicini finishing with ease to make it 1-0. Both sides pushed forward late but the scoreline did not change and Chelsea were left with a bit of work to do in the second leg.

In the other European Champions Cup Quarter Finals 1st legs AC Milan defeated Manchester Utd 2-0 at Old Trafford, Juventus took care of Bayern Munich 2-0 at the Delle Alpi and Newcastle drew with Internazionale 1-1 at St James’s Park.

After Ajax game we know we need to do more work before return match here in London if we are to go into semi finals. At least we have 2 weeks now before next Ajax match, we can play full strength side against Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday and hopefully wrap up premiership title this time.

Liverpool @ Anfield, Liverpool – English Premier League

Cudicini(8), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(7), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Mutu(8), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Etxeberria(7)

Olisadebe 75

Hyppia og 86

Liverpool 0 – 2 Chelsea

Att: 40644

Chelsea are the English Premier League Champions for Season 2002/03 following a 2-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield! Second half goals by Olisadebe and an own goal by Hyppia sent the travelling fans into raptures as Chelsea claimed the English League title for the first time since 1955, and there’s still 4 games left this season.

Russian revolution brings Chelsea glory

It is just under 50 years since Chelsea were league champions in England, but today at Anfield this Chelsea side illustrated why they have been so dominant disposing of a quality Liverpool side who are heading for Champions Cup action next season. Club owner Roman Abramovich has expressed his joy at the way the club has turned the corner in the past 12 months and expects that Chelsea will be a European powerhouse for many seasons to come. Chelsea’s manager Vlad Shiagichevskiy had a very simple message, “this victory is for all Chelsea fans who have supported club throughout difficult times in past, it is start of very exciting time at club for me, for players and for all fansâ€.

Amongst excitement of league victory, bad news come to me from physio, Mr Banks tells me that Mutu has broken ribs from Liverpool game and will miss further 2 weeks. I will rest all 1st team players for next league match in attempt to keep fit for big Ajax match.

Arsenal @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Sereni(7), Bridge(8), Melchiot(9), Desailly(7), Parfenov(8), Zenden(8), Lampard(7), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(6), Forssell(7), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Petit(7), Oliveira(7), Hasselbaink(7)

Bridge 29

Gudjohnsen 73

Chelsea 2 – 3 Arsenal

Att: 42425

At Stamford Bridge today a Chelsea reserve side lost spiritedly against a full strength and in form Arsenal line up in a cracking 5 goal affair. Goals by Bridge and Gudjohnsen were not enough to maintain Chelsea’s undefeated home record in the league as Kanu, Vieira and Bergkamp took Arsenal to 2nd place behind Chelsea in the race for European places.

Ajax @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Quarter Final 2nd Leg

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(8), Terry(8), Duff(9), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Gudjohnsen(8), Olisadebe(9) Subs: Melchiot(8), Etxeberria(7), Geremi(7)

Olisadebe 69

Gudjohnsen 72

Veron 76

Chelsea 3 – 0 Ajax (3-1)

Att: 37344

Chelsea’s remarkable European season continues after disposing of Ajax 3-0 today and 3-1 on aggregate. In a tight and tense first half Chelsea should have taken the lead however good chances were wasted by both Olisadebe and Gudjohnsen, at half-time the score stood at 0-0 with Ajax holding the aggregate advantage. On 69 minutes Chelsea finally broke the deadlock and it took something special, Joe Cole won the ball and played Gudjohnsen into space on the left, he then crossed the ball deep to an unmarked Olisadebe who struck a crashing volley from just inside the area past the motionless Boschker in Ajax’s goal, 1-0 Chelsea. Then just 3 minutes later Veron and Cole contrived to play Gudjohnsen into the area, he calmly stabbed the ball past the oncoming Boschker for 2-0. Finally on 76 minutes Veron iced the cake with a powerful header from a Gronkjaer free kick that was too hot for Boschker, and the result was in the bag for Chelsea.

In other European Champions Cup Quarter Final 2nd legs AC Milan and Man Utd drew 1-1 with Milan advancing 3-1 on aggregate, Bayern Munich defeated Juventus 3-0 to overcome the first leg deficit and prevail 3-2 overall, finally Internazionale beat Newcastle Utd 1-0 and 2-1 on aggregate.

Champions Cup semi finals decided

Internazionale and AC Milan will meet in a tantalising first semi final in the European Champions Cup whilst Chelsea and Bayern Munich will face off in the second semi final. The Milan derby will undoubtedly be feisty as always especially given the potential silverware that awaits the winner as a Champions Cup final place beckons. The winner of the Chelsea v Bayern match up will go into the final as favourite however after both sides finished the group stage ahead of their Italian counterparts.

Southampton @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Parfenov(6), Terry(8), Duff(8), Cole(8), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(8), Olisadebe(9), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Lampard(7)

Gudjohnsen 47

Chelsea 1 – 0 Southampton

Att: 38665

Eidur Gudjohnsen helped Chelsea to a 1-0 victory over Southampton with a strike early in the second half. The Saints are a much improved side this season and this result was nothing to be ashamed of, but it was a game that meant little to Chelsea as they just play out the remaining Premier League fixtures.

Now all I can think of is Champion Cup, I am very nervous Bayern are very great European team and I think our hands will be very full in Champions Cup semi final. Joe Cole is suspended after receiving too many yellow cards, we will miss his creative spark.

yeah thanks terk, and we all know what bayern are like! read on my friend

May ‘03

Ricketts takes prize

Middlesborough’s star striker Michael Ricketts has been awarded the Player of the Month award for April, Rickett’s has made a fantastic start to his career at the Riverside scoring 18 times in his first season since moving from Bolton in the summer. Young Chelsea striker Carlton Cole on loan at Charlton won the Young Player of the Month, whilst Arsene Wenger of Arsenal was awarded Manager of the Month.

Newcastle @ St James’s Park, Newcastle – English Premier League

Sereni(7), Bridge(6), Melchiot(8), Parfenov(7), Desailly(8), Zenden(7), Lampard(8), Geremi(6), Etxeberria(7), Hasselbaink(6), Oliveira(7) Subs: Forssell(7), Mutu(8), Veron(8)

Newcastle 2 – 0 Chelsea

Att: 47221

Newcastle soundly defeated a weakened Chelsea outfit today with strikes from Shearer and O’Brien enough to see off the visitors. The statistics told the story, Newcastle having 15 shots on goal compared to 1 from Chelsea, this Newcastle side will be a contender again next season that’s for certain.

Bayern Munich @ Stamford Bridge, London – Champions Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Cudicini(6), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(7), Terry(7), Duff(8), Mutu(7), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Gudjohnsen(7), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Etxeberria(7)

Olisadebe 35

Chelsea 1 – 2 Bayern

Att: 40522

Bayern Munich will take a surprise 2-1 scoreline back to Germany after frustrating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Bayern played a perfect counter attacking game and took the lead on 4 minutes when a dangerous Ze Roberto crossed was unbelievably put into the Chelsea goal by Cudicini’s woeful punch. Chelsea then appeared to have things back on track when Olisadebe equalised with a close range volley on 35 minutes from a Gronkjaer cross. As the second half progressed Chelsea increased their attacking endeavours, however it was Bayern who stole the match with a Elber scorcher from 25 yards which Cuducini could do nothing about, 2-1 Bayern Munich.

We are left with big challenge to win Champion Cup now after losing at home to Bayern. Players were little disappointing but Bayern know how to play big European ties, we have to play more like they do in future. Everyone including Mr Roman have big hopes for European success this season so hopefully we can turn around second leg and not disappoint too many people. Unfortunately Mutu and Etxeberria are suspended for return leg with Bayern, too many stupid yellow cards and we don't have depth to cover many losses i'm afraid.

Leicester City @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(7), Parfenov(8), Desailly(7), Melchiot(8), Cole(8), Lampard(8), Geremi(8), Etxeberria(7), Mutu(8), Gudjohnsen(8) Subs: Hasselbaink(6), Oliveira(8)

Mutu 24

Oliveira 82

Chelsea 2 – 1 Leicester

Att: 40337

Chelsea’s final match of their successful premiership campaign and they ended it in glory, running out 2-1 victors. Mutu (returning from injury) gave Chelsea an early lead which was soon cancelled out by a Scowcroft strike. Late in the game Chelsea threw on young Filipe Oliveira for only the second time this season and he came through with a 82nd minute strike (his first ever for the club). Finally giving Chelsea the victory that the home fans had wanted as a way to fittingly end a successful league campaign.

Bayern Munich @ Munchner Olympiastadion, Munchen – Champions Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

Cudicini(7), Babayaro(8), Mills(8), Gallas(7), Terry(7), Duff(8), Cole(8), Veron(8), Gronkjaer(8), Gudjohnsen(8), Olisadebe(8) Subs: Hasselbaink(6), Forssell(8)

Forssell 76

Bayern 1 – 1 Chelsea (3-2)

Att: 56114

In a fiercely fought tussle where Bayern had Roy Makaay sent off after only 20 minutes there was to be no fairytale ending for Chelsea as they eventually ran out of time with the game ending 1-1. Another Cudicini blunder gave Bayern an early lead, just what Chelsea didn’t need as they looked for a difficult away win, Elber struck an ambitious shot from 35 yards on 7 minutes and it was too hot for Cudicini slipping through his gloves for 1-0 Bayern. On 20 minutes Makaay was sent-off for elbowing Veron, and from this moment Chelsea went all out for the 2 goals they now needed to equalise the tie. Late in the second half substitute Forssell pulled a goal back with a strong header, however it was too little too late as Bayern held on to the draw and advancing 3-2 on aggregate to the final.

In the other semi final Inter came back from a 2-0 loss in the first leg to advance to the final on away goals after a 3-1 away result, although both legs were played at the San Siro.

The season ends too soon for me, I was hoping for one more match but it is not to be this time. I guess it’s now time to start thinking about how to win this time next season, I will be looking to add to depth of squad and perhaps some more experience to the young talented team I currently have at hands. Very close but at same time not close at all, is hard game this European football.

United claim FA Cup

Manchester United salvaged something this season defeating Liverpool 2-1 to claim the FA Cup. Goals from Scholes and Pizarro where enough to overcome Baros’ early strike ensuring that Alex Ferguson’s side had one piece of silverware for the cabinet in a season where they struggled to keep up with the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle in the Premier League.

UEFA Cup going to Anfield

Goals from Harry Kewell and Claudio Reyna helped Liverpool to a 2-1 victory over Valencia in the UEFA Cup final at the Bernabeu in Madrid. Liverpool supporters rejoiced in their European success this season and can now look forward to the glamour of the Champions Cup next season. In this years European Champions Cup final Internazionale comprehensively defeated Bayern Munich today to take home the Cup for the first time since 1965. In a powerful performance Zanetti and Crespo starred for Inter with Crespo scoring twice.

In other news Patrick Vieira has taken the final Player of the Month Award to cap off a solid season for the French star, Man Utd youngster Cristiano Ronaldo won the Young Player of the Month award and Gerard Houllier took out the Manager of the Month award for May after a great season with Liverpool.

Post-season round-up 2002/03

English Premier League – Chelsea 89, Arsenal 78, Liverpool 77, Newcastle 72, Man Utd 68, Man City 64, Aston Villa 59, Wolves 58, Tottenham 56, Charlton 55, Southampton 54, Blackburn 47, Middlesborough 45, Birmingham 45, Leicester 43, Portsmouth 42, Bolton 40, Leeds 35, Everton 32, Fulham 18

Champions – Chelsea

Relegated – Leeds, Everton, Fulham

Promoted – West Ham, WBA, Cardiff

FA Cup – Manchester Utd

English League Cup – Arsenal

European Champions Cup – Internazionale

UEFA Cup – Liverpool

English Football Awards

Players Player of the Year – Fabian Barthez Man Utd

Players Young Player of the Year – Joe Cole Chelsea

Manager of the Year – Vladimir Shiagichevskiy Chelsea

English Footballer of the Year – Mikael Silvestre Man Utd

Chelsea Fans Player of the Year – Emmanuel Olisadebe

[thanks guys, yeah this season we'll take the next step, now is it just me or do Bayern always get in the way!! damn i hate them so much, anyway on and up...]

Summer ‘03

I have to say that since receiving my Manager of Year award there has been much support from English football community, Mr Bobby Robson who has just retired after guiding Newcastle to 4th in Premier League was very praising, stating that it not easy to gel such a new group of footballers so successfully as I have done over past 12 months. I have much respect for Mr Robson as he has been around English game for long time now. Hopefully this year there will be no speculation about me deserving this job, I think I prove them all wrong last season – now fans love me and that is all that is important to me.

After big spending by Mr Roman last year he has only freed up 40m for use this season, but I think that will do for me as I am very happy with current squad I just need to strengthen depth in a few areas. Roman has seemed worried lately but he not tell Vlad what he worry about, he just says that he will sort it out no problems, I just need to worry about on field at football club. Still am liking life in London, although Tatiana she is not as happy saying she is worried about family back in Russia, I tell her I always take care of family, but she wants to see family not just look after. Much of Summer she has spent back in Russia, I have bought place in Moscow for when we go home, very nice, big house in nice part of town. English pound buy plenty in Russia.

Chelsea welcome Yobo and friends

Today Chelsea unveiled Joseph Yobo, Emile Mpenza and Claude Makelele to the media, these three along with earlier signings Alan Smith and Steed Malbranque ensure that owner Roman Abramovich’s threat that the club required more depth is being fulfilled. Abramovich is confident that at least one more signing will take place before the transfer market closes, as negotiations are reportedly well advanced for an Italian based forward from Milan possibly. Yobo’s signing is potentially the biggest for Chelsea as the Nigerian chose Stamford Bridge ahead of offers tabled by Man Utd, AC Milan, Roma and Bayern Munich. The highly rated defender will certainly take a starting position in the back four this season after transferring from relegated Everton at a cut-price 4.8m. Chelsea boss Vladimir Shiagichevskiy does not expect Mpenza and Makelele to feature strongly in the clubs first team, however they have been brought in along with Smith and Malbranque to add cover to the first team squad which struggled to handle the extra burden of European competition last season.

Transfer information

Ins

Joseph Yobo – 4.8m – Everton

Emile Mpenza – 4m – Schalke

Steed Malbranque – 4m – Fulham

Claude Makelele – 3m – Real Madrid

Alan Smith – 2m – Leeds

Moses Ashikodi – 150k – Millwall

Outs

Winston Bogarde – free – Man City

Jimmy Flloyd Hasselbaink – 2.5m – AC Milan

My assistant Mr Williams was asked to put together a media guide on our first team squad that will take us to untold glory this season, so here it is…

Chelsea FC Squad

Goalkeepers

Carlo Cudicini GK, Italian, 30

A strong, experienced keeper, the Milanese born Cudicini is a hero at Stamford bridge and is definately one of the more gifted keepers in the premiership. Will look to improve on a consistent yet less than outstanding season.

Matteo Sereni GK, Italian, 28

Failed to perform up to expectations in his few matches last season after transferring from Wolves. A talented shot stopper who has performed at Premier League level in the past, sound back-up for Cudicini.

Jurgen Macho GK, Austrian, 26

The young Austrian keeper has been around the English game a few years now and his aerial ability and handling make him a sound 3rd string keeper.

Reserves

Marco Ambrosio, Italian, 30

Lenny Pidgeley, English, 17

Defenders

Celestine Babayaro D/DM L, Nigerian, 25

Pace, excitement, and great delivery make Babayaro an exciting prospect, he can play full back or on the left flank and his versatility is important to this team. Cemented the left-back spot after Bridge was the first choice last season.

Wayne Bridge D/DM L, English, 23

Already an England international Bridge is a mature footballer for his young age, he’s very sound technically and likes to push deep down the left. Looks like he will have to fight for his spot now.

Marcel Desailly D/DM C, French, 35

Veteran central defender with over 100 caps, Desailly is the club captain at Chelsea and still offers a lot in his 36th year.

William Gallas D R/L/C, French, 26

A quick all-round defender who can play any position across the back, continues to draw a lot of attention from both Italian and Spanish clubs. With Yobo now at the club will play more at right-back.

Mario Melchiot D/DM R/C, Dutch, 26

Quick, sound passer and tackler who can play centre back or full back, Melchiot is often underrated but always does a job.

John Terry D C, English, 22

Strong, young, quick centre back who has come through the ranks at Chelsea, along with Bridge will play for England for many years yet - possibly a future captain of the club.

Joseph Yobo D/DM R/C, Nigerian, 22

Quick centre back who joined from Everton over the summer after choosing Chelsea over Man Utd, Milan and Arsenal. Yobo will probably partner Terry at the back now forming a great young combination which will give little away this season.

Danny Mills D R/C, English, 26

After joining from Leeds midway through last season Mills played 18 times for the club, cementing the right-back spot. The young veteran will have to fight for his spot after the signing of Yobo.

Dmitri Parfenov D/DM R/C, Ukrainian, 28

Signed from Spartak Moscow during last season as a back-up to the current defensive unit, Parvenov is a quick, tall defender who can play centre-back but is more suited to full-back in the English game.

Reserves

Glenn Johnson, English, 19

Valerio Di Cesare, Italian, 20

Robert Huth, German, 19

Joel Kitamirike, English, 19

Midfielders

Joe Cole AM L/C, English, 21

Already an England international Cole is a hugely gifted footballer for his young age, a superb passer of the ball and can also make surging runs from deep. Had a sound first season with Chelsea.

Damian Duff AM/F L, Irish, 24

After an interrupted season this incredibly quick, smart winger is still looking to play his best football at Chelsea. Is a crowd favourite when on the pitch due to his flashy and explosive style of football.

Geremi DM R/C, Cameroonian, 24

Former Real Madrid player who is very strong on the ball and can also hit a pretty mean free kick, good years still ahead of him.

Jesper Gronkjaer AM/F R/L, Danish, 25

Just as good on his right side as his natural left, similar too Duff in that he loves to take on defenders and is lightning quick. Had an outstanding first season and will play a lot more first team football.

Frank Lampard AM C, English, 25

Another youngster from the West Ham academy who’s made the trip across London, Lampard has the ability but is still yet to consistently prove his worth.

Juan Sebastian Veron AM C, Argentinian, 28

A somewhat enigmatic ball player who will hope to disprove those doubters who don’t believe he’s suited to the English game. Had his moments last season, but was disappointing especially with the lack of goals scored from midfield.

Claude Makelele DM C, French, 30

Signed eventually from Real Madrid in the Summer after extended talks, Makelele has been brought in to add depth and experience to a young squad.

Joseba Etxeberria AM/F R, Spanish, 25

Big money transfer mid-season last year Etxeberria is yet to live up to his reputation at Chelsea, however the quick winger has already played for his country almost 50 times. Much more is expected of the talented former Athletic Bilbao favourite.

Steed Malbranque AM R/C, French, 23

Summer signing from Fulham, Malbranque is a smart midfielder who will add depth to a strong midfield in which he will struggle to hold down a regular spot.

Reserves

Mario Stanic, Croatian, 30

Emmanuel Petit, French, 32

Boudewijn Zenden, Dutch, 27

Mbark Boussafa, Dutch, 18

Joe Keenan, English, 19

Alexis Nicholas, English, 19

Filipe Oliveira, Portugese, 18

Forwards

Eidur Gudjohnsen S C, Icelandic, 25

A sound all-round striker who is ready to make his mark in the English game, huge potential and very quick and strong. 26 goals and 18 assists in 45 games last season.

Adrian Mutu F C, Romanian, 24

Big name signing last season who is still very quick, plays best just behind the strikers and did some damage from this position and wide on the right last season. 19 goals, 9 assists in 42 matches.

Emmanuel Olisadebe S C, Polish, 24

The all-round strike package – v. quick, powerful, athletic and clinical in front of goals – perhaps the most important player of the new regime at Chelsea. 35 goals, 20 assists, 42 matches.

Emile Mpenza S C, Belgian, 25

Quick, tricky striker signing from Schalke 04 over the summer, will probably share the post alongside Olisadebe with Mutu and Gudjohnsen.

Alan Smith F R/C, English, 22

Signed from Leeds after they were relegated, will play mainly reserves but offers a quick, strong, if raw alternative up front if required.

Reserves

Mikael Forssell, Finnish, 22

Carlton Cole, English, 19

Sebastien Kneissl, German, 20

Pre-season

Away to Wimbledon 1-0 Kneissl

Away to Espanyol 2-0 Mpenza, Kneissl

Away to Real Madrid 0-1

Away to Valencia 3-0 Gronkjaer, Olisadebe, Mutu

Away to Bradford City 3-3 Forssell, Gudjohnsen, Petit

Home to Juventus 1-1 Mpenza

First game of a new season and I take boys to play Wimbledon, much of first team was still finding fitness so I play many young players, young Seba Kneissl scoring only goal. Time for a tour (holiday) so I take team to sunny Spain for pre-season matches and also for holiday with Tatiana, more so latter as I leave Glynn Williams my assistant in charge for all matches. Spain is very beautiful country, I especially appreciated time in Valencia where we stayed in very nice hotel right on the beach, Tatiana and I spent much time walking along beach and drinking cocktails in hotel bar. Say wha..? Oh football, we played a few games as well, yes apparently played quite good actually or so I’m told. After returning from Spain we completed the pre-season matches with competitive draws against Bradford and Juventus (two teams at different ends of football world!). With 6 games we had a 3-2-1 record over the pre-season, Yobo, Mpenza and Makelele all contributed well and seemed to fit in, also young Seba Kneissl was quite impressive – give him a couple of years and he could be something. Time to start focussing on the season proper now.

August ‘03

Premiership odds set

Reigning champions Chelsea and Arsenal are equal 6-4 favourites to take out the Premier League title this season. Other contenders include Man Utd and Liverpool at 7-4, Newcastle at 3-1, then it’s down to Man City at 25-1. Vladimir Shiagichevskiy has responded to suggestions that Arsenal will challenge his Chelsea side by suggesting that if he’d be astounded if Arsenal are within 10 points of Chelsea come next May.

We start the season with only one major injury as it looks like Olisadebe will miss at least first month of season with shoulder injury. This unfortunate for Emmanuel as he play all last season with no injury concern, with signings of Smith and Mpenza we should cover loss adequately. First month of football sees nice match up with Man Utd in Community Shield, good chance to get some more silverware, and then some good ease in games in the Premier League.

Manchester Utd @ The Millenium Stadium, Cardiff – Community Shield

Cudicini – Babayaro, Terry (Melchiot), Gallas, Yobo (Geremi) – Duff (Cole), Veron (Gudgohnsen), Makelele, Gronkjaer – Mutu, Mpenza (Etxeberria)

Man Utd 0 – 1 Chelsea

Gronkjaer 30

Danish winger Jesper Gronkjaer gave Chelsea the first piece of silverware of the new season following a free flowing match which created many chances but only the one goal. Gronkjaer’s strike came on 30 minutes when he took possession on the right of midfield, cut inside and drove a left footed strike from 35 yards beating Bartez to the top corner of the goal. A worthy match winner for any occasion, Gronkjaer was later named MOM for his work down the right for Chelsea.

Good way to start season with win over Man Utd and more small glory for Chelsea, but this game really no more than another pre-season match. Jesper Gronkjaer continues to astonish me with his workrate and skill down the right and sometimes left of midfield, everytime i expect him to struggle at this level he just steps up and takes his game to new level. He is a delight to coach also, slowly becoming a favourite of mine now.

Aston Villa @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini – Babayaro, Terry, Yobo, Gallas (Melchiot) – Gronkjaer, Veron, J.Cole (Duff), Mutu – Gudjohnsen, Mpenza (Smith)

Chelsea 2 – 1 Aston Villa

Gronkjaer 57

Mutu 72

In a match marred by injuries with Chelsea losing the services of William Gallas, Joe Cole and Emile Mpenza by the 50th minute, a cracking Mutu special sealed the result in a tight tussle. Gronkjaer kept up his astounding early season form to open the scoring by delightfully chipping Villa’s keeper, however Angel equalised for Villa with a superb finish from 12 yards. When Villa fouled 25 yards out with 20 minutes left setting up a free-kick opportunity for Chelsea everyone knew who would step up, Mutu blasted the ball into the near corner and Chelsea had opened the season with a hard earned result.

Injury woes have struck here at Chelsea after costly victory against Villa, Gallas (shoulder) will be out for a month, with Cole (hamstring) and Mpenza (knee) missing a couple of weeks each at least. This all on top of Olisadebe still missing for another 2 weeks, our depth will be tested early in this season it looks like.

Portsmouth @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini – Babayaro, Terry, Yobo, Mills – Duff, Veron, Makelele (Etxeberria), Gronkjaer – Mutu, Gudjohnsen (Smith)

Chelsea 3 – 1 Portsmouth

Mills 33

Mutu 71, 90

Portsmouth took it up to Chelsea in periods at Stamford Bridge but Chelsea never looked like losing this encounter. Danny Mills making a rare start scored his first goal for the club on the half hour when he side footed home a brilliant Damian Duff cross. On 66 minutes Mutu had a chance to make it 2 from the spot but he blazed it over the bar, 5 minutes later he did make it 2-0 when Etxeberria’s header was brilliantly saved and he easily finished from 2 yards. It was all over as a contest by the time Mutu claimed his second for the match with another tap in from Duff’s decisive square ball. A fitting result for an ominously dominant Chelsea outfit, they are the team to beat!

Etxeberria out

Chelsea’s Spanish star Joseba Etxeberria will miss the next 2 months of the season after tearing his groin in training yesterday. Etxeberria who on Saturday arguably put in his best performance since joining Chelsea from Athletic Bilbao last December will now have to work his way back into the side mid-season after this setback. Chelsea’s early season injury toll now stands at 5 first team squad members, they will be hoping that lady luck shines their way soon.

Middlesborough @ The Riverside Stadium, Middlesborough – English Premier League

Cudicini – Babayaro, Terry, Yobo, Mills – Duff (Malbranque), Veron, Geremi (Makelele), Gronkjaer – Gudjohnsen (Smith), Mutu

Middlesborough 0 – 1 Chelsea

Mutu 33

Adrian Mutu continued his early goal scoring touch with the decisive goal at the Riverside against a very competitive Middlesborough outfit. Boro were dominant early in the match with Ricketts and Blanco causing all sorts of trouble for Chelsea’s back four, but Mutu struck on 33 minutes from a devastating counter attack in which Gudjohnsen broke down the right and crossed to the near post where Mutu glanced a header past Schwarzer into the far corner. Chelsea continue to win despite massive injury concerns, it is scary to imagine how a full strength line up would go against some of the other Premier League contenders.

Champions Cup draw

Chelsea have been drawn in Group H of the Champions Cup group stage. They will come up against Roma, Panathinaikos and Boavista in a group from which they should comfortably advance. The opening match of the group stage for Chelsea will be played against Roma at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

On the verge of the transfer window closing we managed to finally sign Milan forward Jose Mari, originally we had organised a swap for Hasselbaink and a fee of almost 8m over the Summer however Jose Mari was holidaying at home in Spain and could not be contacted so deal fell through and Hasselbaink went to Italy. When Jose learnt of our interest he asked Milan to offer another deal, subsequently he happily joins us for only 6m. Jose will be good versatile attacking player for us who can play in midfield and up forward.

Player of the Month - Juan Sebastian Veron (Chelsea)

Young Player of the Month - Jermaine Defoe (West Ham)

Manager of the Month - Steve McClaren(Blackburn)

EPL Top 6 – Blackburn 12, Southampton 10, CHELSEA 9, Birmingham 7, Newcastle 7, Arsenal 6

September ‘03

Chelsea sign Milan star?

Amidst speculation about who from Milan would be joining Chelsea as the final piece of their 2003/04 campaign many names were thrown around, Schevchenko, Rivaldo, Inzaghi?? No-one thought about the disgruntled underachieving Spaniard Jose Mari, and with good reason. Touted as one of the shining stars of this beautiful game when he joined Milan from Sevilla 5 years ago, Jose Mari has produced very little in the Italian game to the extent that he was loaned back into Spanish football with Villareal just last season. At 6m Chelsea are claiming that they have picked up a bargain in the highly rated striker, that will depend on if he actually performs in the English game. After all he hasn’t represented Spain in a full international yet and at 24 he can’t rely on potential anymore.

AS Roma @ Stamford Bridge, London – European Champions Cup Group H

Cudicini – Babayaro, Yobo, Terry, Mills (Melchiot) – Duff (Malbranque), Veron, Geremi, Gronkjaer – Mpenza (Gudjohnsen), Mutu

Chelsea 3 – 1 Roma

Veron 33

Mutu 64 pen, 87

Chelsea started the new European campaign in fine form by disposing of Roma 3-1 with Mutu and Geremi stand outs. Veron’s instinctive first half finish was cancelled out by Totti’s immaculate curling strike just on half time, leaving the sides locked at the half. On 64 minutes Mpenza was tugged down in the area and Mutu smashed home the penalty, then on 87 minutes Mutu sealed the result when he intercepted Candela’s defensive header, cut left and finished clinically.

(ECC Group H PAO 3 – 1 Boavista)

Leicester @ Stamford Bridge, London – English Premier League

Cudicini – Babayaro, Yobo, Terry, Mills – Duff, J.Cole (Geremi), Makelele (Jose Mari), Gronkjaer – Mpenza (Gudjohnsen), Olisadebe

Chelsea 1 – 1 Leicester

Gudjohnsen 84

Leicester scored early through Scowcroft after only 3 minutes, powerfully heading home a corner, they then stoutly defended playing an almost perfect counter attacking game plan. Leicester totally outplayed Chelsea for 80 minutes, but when Gudjohnsen came on for the ineffective Mpenza to partner Olisadebe (first match of the season after injury) the game turned. On 84 minutes Gudjohnsen won the ball at the halfway line and broke down the right before striking home from a tight angle to dramatically equalise. Gudjohnsen had a couple more good chances in the dying minutes but couldn’t produce any more drama.

I am disappointed that we lost points at home, even more disappointing though is that I rested Mutu after such great first month of football and then he tears groin in training today and physio says he could be out for over 2 months. This is bad news for he was playing so well, hopefully Olisadebe’s return from injury will cover Mutu’s loss. He will be hard to cover! Gallas returns from injury in time for match with Boavista.

Boavista @ Estadio do Bossa, Porto – European Champions Cup Group H

Cudicini – Babayaro, Gallas, Terry, Yobo – Duff, Veron, Geremi, Gronkjaer (Makelele) – Mpenza (J.Cole), Olisadebe (Gudjohnsen)

Boavista 0 – 4 Chelsea

Olisadebe 24, 41

Mpenza 45

Veron 83

Boavista’s Champions cup status is seriously in question after Chelsea demolished them at the Estadio do Bossa, only their keeper Joao Nunes kept the scoreline down to 4-0. 2 first half strikes by Olisadebe had the result in hand, then just on the half Mpenza drove a volley into the roof of the net. Joao Nunes was the star of the second half as he held Chelsea from adding to the score until Veron’s far post header from Babayaro’s corner on 83 minutes. Chelsea looked ominously comfortable against quality opposition.

(ECC Group H Roma 2 – 0 PAO)

Archived