The Lost Season 4 thread *for episodes aired in the US/abc.com* *season 3 spoilers and a mid-season cut-off guranteed*

rosslarkin

Originally posted by knapp...:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Because, I believe, that Ben wanted information on the freighties, their operation, what they are planning etc - seemed like a good way to use a powerless pawn to get that information.

but it seemed such a crucial role with the islands future in the balance. ben seems to have alot of resources available and people willing to do anything for him so for him to ask michael to do it seemed wrong, felt like a way to get him back in the story line more than any logical reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Others have always been deceptively weak, and use covert methods rather than gung-ho madness.

Asking Michael to do it fits in with their(and in particular ben's) methods perfectly imo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was Jack’s dad on the island? Refresh my memory did he have something to do with the others?

Walt appeared several times on the island once I remember when he was caught by the others and that blond girl who died saw him while she was looking after his dog.

Then I thought they said Walt has special powers where he can appear and disappear. Which I thought was connected to time travelling.

And how can it be a ghost Walt if Lock imagined it? He would have imagined the same Walt he saw leave the island. A smaller, younger Walt. Instead Locke saw a grow, taller Walt.

No-one said he imagined it.

Jacks dad is dead, but he appeared on the island in the first season. It was quite a big thing.

Lots of people have seen people from their past on the island, when its clear they can't actually be there.

Originally posted by RedRob:

No-one said he imagined it.

Jacks dad is dead, but he appeared on the island in the first season. It was quite a big thing.

Lots of people have seen people from their past on the island, when its clear they can't actually be there.

Not to mention Charlie appearing off the island in Hurley's flash-forward.

in the 'previuolsy on lost' bit at the start of the most recently episode, it was funny to see tom aka mr friendly taking down michael with some sort of medieval weapon made from ropes and stones. I had forgotten about that, and it really ****ed me off as the writers clearly set of in one direction and then just completely changed there minds at some point.

I mean ffs why would they be using such shitty weapons when they have those fancy electric shock darts, really annoyed me cos now i just feel like i am being strung along and dont know if i can be arsed. The was no purpose to them dressing up in sacks and going round barefoot other then thats what they were, the writers clearly just decided at some point that, that plotline was not sustainable and then just flipped it on its head.

Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

Yeah but all the 'ghost' who has reappeared have died. Libby, Jack's dad, Ecko's brother, Charlie etc...

Walt isn't dead yet. So I doubt it's a ghost of him.

not actual ghosts, but the island can make peoplke(dead or not) appear to others, we know this already and its being billed as a mysterious power of the islands. Dont ask me to explain why, that is what we are all asking.

You really should know all this if you have watched all the episodes so far icon14.gif

Originally posted by theboydonegood:

in the 'previuolsy on lost' bit at the start of the most recently episode, it was funny to see tom aka mr friendly taking down michael with some sort of medieval weapon made from ropes and stones. I had forgotten about that, and it really ****ed me off as the writers clearly set of in one direction and then just completely changed there minds at some point.

I mean ffs why would they be using such shitty weapons when they have those fancy electric shock darts, really annoyed me cos now i just feel like i am being strung along and dont know if i can be arsed. The was no purpose to them dressing up in sacks and going round barefoot other then thats what they were, the writers clearly just decided at some point that, that plotline was not sustainable and then just flipped it on its head.

Err, i thought they were doing that to make it look as if they had no homes etc. and were just like random jungle people?

If the survivors knew they had food, guns, and a submarine they obviously wold have fought them for it.

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

If by powers at be you mean the producers? Didn't they always say it wouldn't be god or aliens or anything, but a rational explination.

They said everything would have a rational explanation though which is clearly ******** now. A smoke monster, time travel, mind reading and now the latest thing that Michael can't kill himself just a few of the things that can't possibly have a rational explanation. It's ruining the series far more than the unanswered questions

just because they said a rational explanation doesn't mean it can't include elements of fantasy. Would be ****ing rubbish if it didn't.

Fred - the visions are pretty much all agreed to be the smoke monster, we sorted this out ages ago. Eko's episode pretty much confirmed it and it's not ghosts as Shannon seen Walt when The Others had kidnapped him and low and behold he was still alive.

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theboydonegood:

Err, i thought they were doing that to make it look as if they had no homes etc. and were just like random jungle people?

If the survivors knew they had food, guns, and a submarine they obviously wold have fought them for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the line, but it doesnt hold any water at all especially given the fact that there where hardly any survivors and that they hardly had any guns at all.

i just dont buy it, i seriously think they set off along the lines of 'medieval' type other and then changed there monds and tried to make it seem as if it was all planned. i may be wrong and even if i am it still narks me because even as a plot device it doesnt make sense.

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

just because they said a rational explanation doesn't mean it can't include elements of fantasy. Would be ****ing rubbish if it didn't.

Bit of fantasy yeah but it is veering more and more to complete fantasy. Wouldn't bother me at all if that had been what they initially intended but from all accounts they wanted it to be realistic with a bit of science fiction. Therefore the smoke monster would be alright, Miles and his abilities and the Time Travel are stretching the credibility of the show but just about alright,Michael not being able to kill himself however is just a load of ****

where is the line between a monster of smoke that can alter itself to appear as people from a persons past, and a man who cant kill himslef because destiny deems he still has work to do. Its linked to the time travel.

Originally posted by RedRob:

where is the line between a monster of smoke that can alter itself to appear as people from a persons past, and a man who cant kill himslef because destiny deems he still has work to do. Its linked to the time travel.

I don't know really, i guess when i think about it they're both as bad as each other. The smoke monster came first though so that was alright

They said everything would have a rational explanation though which is clearly ******** now.

People get too caught up in comments that were made by the likes of JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof in the first season or two. In a recent interview Lindelof said that fans would be aswell just ignoring anything that they or anybody else connected with the show have said and just base your theories on what you actually see as that's all that matters.

And to be honest I think the guys involved in the show love the fact that they can make a throwaway comment in an interview or podcast and in the process send thousands of Lost fans off on a wild goose chase. It's ideal for them as if anybody does start getting close to what is actually going on they make a wee throwaway comment and everybody heads off in the wrong direction again. Which is pretty much what I think they were doing when they said during the first season that it would all have a rational explanation, they just said it to throw people and confuse things further.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theboydonegood:

If the survivors knew they had food, guns, and a submarine they obviously wold have fought them for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the line, but it doesnt hold any water at all especially given the fact that there where hardly any survivors and that they hardly had any guns at all.

i just dont buy it, i seriously think they set off along the lines of 'medieval' type other and then changed there monds and tried to make it seem as if it was all planned. i may be wrong and even if i am it still narks me because even as a plot device it doesnt make sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was planned. Tom wore a fake beard to make them look less like people who had top facilities. They alluded to that fake beard on a few occasions.

MixedupMixperson - the producers confirmed it wasnt a form of purgatory, and the people werent dead as speculated, but they never said what it was.

i never suggested purgatory.

I know that "Darlton" said "If it is an island" in their camp, this is a major hint voice.

My point is alot of fans/critics are saying "how can i a landmass prevent a man from killing himself"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

i just dont buy it, i seriously think they set off along the lines of 'medieval' type other and then changed there monds and tried to make it seem as if it was all planned. i may be wrong and even if i am it still narks me because even as a plot device it doesnt make sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's fairly obvious that they initially wanted to unsettle the survivors and not allow them to settle into the island before they had decided what to do with them.

Ben is a master manipulator, he can get people to do what he wants and it's not a stretch to see that these tactics give him an even larger advantage over the survivors.

We know the others would have taken them in a war, but the others didn't want a war as there were some of the survivors that they wanted for their group. The manipulation played a key part in getting who they wanted.

And how can it be a ghost Walt if Lock imagined it? He would have imagined the same Walt he saw leave the island. A smaller, younger Walt. Instead Locke saw a grow, taller Walt.

I don't think the Budget of Lost extends to cloning the actor so he would never age though.

Damn those TV execs!

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And how can it be a ghost Walt if Lock imagined it? He would have imagined the same Walt he saw leave the island. A smaller, younger Walt. Instead Locke saw a grow, taller Walt.

I don't think the Budget of Lost extends to cloning the actor so he would never age though.

Damn those TV execs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could have put in a double. They did for the last episode for the flashbacks where he was in NY.

Actually maybe they did put in a double - but I think these are very different circumstances. We only got to see Walt for a second or two therefore they could get away with a double easier. Here's a pic, and it's a pretty good double if it isn't him:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/tekizm/walt1.jpg

With these flash-forwards we're having, I wonder if they'll now be able to use "old" Walt now? icon_biggrin.gif

if the island is so great that it can stop michael and jack killing themselves because they "have work to do", why doesn't it just do the work itself? that may sound a bit silly, but basically what are the 'limits' of action that the island can take. is it solely capable of healing and preventing suicide, or were they just not able to kill themselves as a natural consequence of time travel, avoiding some kind of 'grandfather paradox' scenario?

if it is the island then i don't think the reasoning will ever be fully explained, but my sister reckons that tom simply tampered with michael's gun.

I've read it. Don't bother.

Anyway is it just me or is lost losing it's appeal. I enjoyed the last episode and the first four in the season but I honestly think Lost is slowly getting worse.

Maybe it's because most of the other films/shows that I watch are quite serious. It's got to the point now that I just question everything I see on screen which takes away from my enjoyment a little more than it used to.

I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it as much - I think it's a great show but it does get quite frustrating sometimes to try and remember every plot-line and nuance from series one just to make a connection.

In saying that it is quite satisfying when you think of something that can apply or guess one of the answers before they're given.

Essentially the best thing about the show is the constant twists and questions. It's also the worst.

I think the pilot (him out of Planet Terror) is going to be quite important here. Can't see him being a bad guy (unless he's getting handsomely paid by Widmore) as he was the one that suggested the flight crash was faked (although strangely he didn't go public - which does suggest he could be a mercenary now).

So confused icon_frown.gif

Is there another of Oceanic 6 to be revealed?

We have Hurley, Kate, Jack, Sun, Saeed. Do Aaron or Ben count or is there are 6th main character to be revealed?

There is a hell of a lot of story to tell between the flash forwards and the current time on the Island. I heard hat there is a whole chunk of the story told off the Island and i think that is what we are seeing unfold at present.

I assume a return to the island by the Oceanic 6 is the whole destiny of this TV series.

Im starting to think the Island brought the plane down in order for its survivors to protect them. Not entirely sure what Ben is though.

Better not end with aliens though icon_wink.gif

Thats enough for my flow of counsciosness for now, too many questions to ask tbh

Aaron would surely be the 6th...?

Remember the funeral Jack attended though that no-one else went to. Wouldn't that have been for another survivor or was that meant to be his father's coffin recovered from the wreckage?

Archived