The Lost Season 4 thread *for episodes aired in the US/abc.com* *season 3 spoilers and a mid-season cut-off guranteed*

rosslarkin

Originally posted by Sean M:

I think a key point is that they did not physically time travel. But their consciousness did.

Im not sure with this. I know young Faraday said that, but if it was just just his conciousness then how come Faraday's journal changed to include that message? Surely that implies actual time travel.

I've only just watched it so still confused.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Albion_J:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean M:

I think a key point is that they did not physically time travel. But their consciousness did.

Im not sure with this. I know young Faraday said that, but if it was just just his conciousness then how come Faraday's journal changed to include that message? Surely that implies actual time travel.

I've only just watched it so still confused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did his journal change? I assumed he wrote it when he was in 1996.

I knew I'd seen something in all the online Hanso / Dharma stuff in the build up to season two...

2 letters that were found discussing a Hanso research facility in Zanzibar - which coincedentally is right next to Madagascar:

http://www.watermarkcommunity2.org/files/student_JOOPletter.jpg

http://www.watermarkcommunity2.org/files/student_JOOPletter2.jpg

Surely a link there somewhere...

It was clearly just his consciousness that travelled back, and regarding the note in the book; it's obviously something to do with Daniel's memory loss. When Des-in-96 suggested that he didn't remember him in the future, he scoffed at it, but obviously something happened between 96 and 04 to cause him to forget a lot of things, including Des.

Then after the conversation with Des-in-04 about time travel, he went to look in his book, found the note and was overjoyed.

Yes?

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

It was clearly just his consciousness that travelled back, and regarding the note in the book; it's obviously something to do with Daniel's memory loss. When Des-in-96 suggested that he didn't remember him in the future, he scoffed at it, but obviously something happened between 96 and 04 to cause him to forget a lot of things, including Des.

Then after the conversation with Des-in-04 about time travel, he went to look in his book, found the note and was overjoyed.

Yes?

That's exactly how I saw it. There has been either and accident or just prolonged experiements during that time that has caused memory loss. To be fair I was thinking something along those lines before this episode. Mainly due to the memory game.

I'm going to ramble here...

As I see it, Faraday was obviously working on this conciousness time travel theory / contraption, and by sending Desmond back with the correct settings he found the solution much earlier? Unless he sent Desmond back - Faraday could have been working on this for years before he found the settings that worked. This means he must've affected the future in some way.

The same thing can be said for the mouse. The mouse knew the route of the maze even though Faraday wasn't going to teach it for an hour. So did Faraday then have to teach the mouse the route in the hour or so that Desmond was catatonic, as if so - how would that work seeing as the mouse already knew the route?! icon_confused.gif

Confusing as **** this is.

Originally posted by Albion_J:

I've only just watched it so still confused.

I don't know. I am struggling to understand all the implications of time travel.

The characters don't seem to be able to interfere and strongly change the past. But then what otherwise would prompt Desmond in the past to take two days leave, go to Oxford and talk to Faraday.

I am also thinking about last season, where Desmond is trying to save Charlie. And he keeps getting flashforwards of how Charlie will die. It is almost as though the current events are a flashback.

Where is the island?

In this episode the people on the freighter say they are somewhere in the south Pacific, but the Black Rock was going to Siam or Assam, I dont remember, both places are in the Indian ocean, the diary was found in Madagascar, again in the Indian ocean. And the plane was found west of Bali, in the Indian Ocean.

So either they are in the Indian ocean and the sailors (and jack in last season's flashforward ) dont know geography, or there is a giant wormhole that teleports things 5000 kilometers east of where they were supposed to be.

Here is a post from the fuselage which sums things up quite nicely as far as the time differences go.

Time is different and not different from island to real world. Here let me explain:

Time on the island and time in the real world are exactly the same. Same day, same year, same time. The discrepincy comes into play in the space between the island and the real world. There is where the time issues arise. If you take the exact cooridinates to get off the island then no time passes. Meaning you leave island and arrive in the real world at the same exact time. Although if you take another bearing then when you leave the island and arrive in the real world, the time is different.

Imagine getting off the island is a fork in the road. Let's say there are a million ways to get off the island. Road A takes 5 mins. Road B takes 45 minutes. Road J takes 6 years. Each road off the island leads you off the island its just that each road takes a certain amount of time to get off. This accounts for the time disprecpeny being there and not being there. It means if you take the coordinates Daniel said your off the island in twenty minutes. If you take another route with different coordinates it takes you years to get off the island. Although time is all relative to the passanger so to them its not like years have passed, but it has in the outside world and to their bodies.

This would explain why Lapidus, Sayid and Desmond left almost at night but got there the next day. Cause Frank got the coordinates almost right. He was off by one degree which then took them an extra few hours to reach the island. The further your away from the bearing, the longer it takes to leave the island. So time on the island and off is exactly the same but its the time between the two places which is different. This would explain the rocket which did not take the the exact cooridinates and took another route and because of that it took an extra 30 minutes to get to the island. So obviously if someone left the island from the opposite coordinates then it would be years later till they arrive in the real world.

Dan's memory loss could be related to the high levels of radiation exposure - as Desmond pointed out, what did he wear on his head when working with Eloise?

Dan also asked if Des had been exposed to high levels of radiation or electromagnetism, as an explanation for his memory loss. Herein lies the connection.

Dan's exposure - and subsequent journey to the island - caused memory loss, as witnessed with the cards. Supposing that his memory loss has not been as extreme as Desmond's, he will be 'jumping' less, and he will know to remember Des - who acts as his 'constant'.

(Now I'm going to speculate, and confuse everyone)

Des cannot remember anything past 1996, and so he is 'living' in the past - this comes about on the journey from the island. Dan has travelled to the island, and is rooted in 2004 - so he seems surprised to see the note about Desmond, as he has memory gaps from before 2004.

What if the moment in which we see Dan crying is a moment when he has 'jumped back' - and when he responds that he doesn't know why he is crying, it's because he is gone again? If this is the case, what about the crash has made him cry? What is coming up ahead that makes the thought of 815 upset him so much?

I think the island is where we've always thought it was - somewhere in the South Pacific. There are plenty of ways the log could've ended up in Madagascar. I wouldn't be surprised if we have at some point in the show a deep flashback to the Blackrock. Showing a young sailor making a boat to get off the island and ending up in Madagascar 60 years later because he went thru the time curtain at a bigger time accelerating angle than the NW direction.

The significance of the log is that it explains how Hanso knew about the island. And now Whitmore.

As everyone said, awesome!.

Desmond and Penny conversation was brilliantly done.

I knot it could of been the pilot who opened the door but the line "Looks like you have a friend on this boat", the biggest hint yet that Michael is on the boat?

Originally posted by Andrew K:

There are plenty of ways the log could've ended up in Madagascar.

Indeed. And it was even explained how, sortof. It was found among the belonging of pirates on an island near Madagascar seven years after the Black Rock left England. So it doesn't really seem strange for them to have come across it, maybe from a survivor or maybe from plundering another ship, or whatever.

Archived