The Lost Season 4 thread *for episodes aired in the US/abc.com* *season 3 spoilers and a mid-season cut-off guranteed*

rosslarkin

Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hexhamlad:

I still think less than 100 days have passed on the island. Probably a couple of years off it.

thats definitely right. its 2004 for the losties still. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm. Definitely wrong. It's 2004 on and off the island.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hexhamlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Fish:

Is it just me that can't stand Juliet btw? Are we supposed to dislike her? She comes across as so annoying, whatever she says/does I just want her to die. Instead they'll kill off someone awesome icon_frown.gif

She is fit though. But also one of the main culprits of dumbing down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't even think she's fit. Neither is that new annoying English lass. Kill off all the annoying women.

Originally posted by Jongi:

Didn't Jack recently tell us how many days he believed they had been on the island? Jack being a man of science would probably have it right as to how long they have been on the island.

how long was jack locked up for in that basement when ben wanted him to perform the op?

• SI Staff
how good is postmod when fred the red's post gets through?

Don't think he's on it any more. He'll be banned soon enough if he posts any more questions like that though.

• SI Staff

Anyway, what a mindfook of an episode that was. I'm trying hard not to think about what Lost is all about as it just makes my head hurt but it's so awesome.

I just want to go to sleep and wake up with the DVDs of the whole thing to watch through.

Originally posted by LokedOut420:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hexhamlad:

So two more episodes then a break? It's going to be hard times.

3 more </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought they confirmed 7 would be the final before break, as 8 was better as a premiere?

Yeah that's right. To be honest knowing the way lost is going I'm suprised she didn't have a santa costume on just to get the point across.

Desmond is calling her at Christmas, isn't it logical for one to have Christmas decorations in the premises of ones house in which desmond is phoning?

Stop wining

Originally posted by The_Fish:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

I still think less than 100 days have passed on the island. Probably a couple of years off it.

Erm. Definitely wrong. It's 2004 on and off the island. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i didnt read his last sentence. that is what i meant.

thinking about it, the only way we could get confirmation of different dates between the island and the real world is if the "rescuers" were to actually try reconcile their time on the island to those on the boat.

For example

Daniel: We've been gone for 3 days as far as we can tell.

Boat people: OMG it's been like a month.

Someone clarify something on the time issue for me:

Do we believe time to continue at the same pace on the island and in the rest of the world? Are differences in time only in effect in travelling away(to?) the island?

And also is it only those travelling through the passage between the island and the rest of the world whose time is warped? I am guessing so. But if Sayid, Des and the pilot are surprised at the time difference between leaving the island and landing on the boat, it would have to mean time is accelerated in the passage if the actual 1 day plus trip seems much shorter to them.

Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Fish:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

Erm. Definitely wrong. It's 2004 on and off the island. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i didnt read his last sentence. that is what i meant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt say its 2004 on the island.

Lost is a great TV show but it is getting increasing easy to read. It still has a lot of shocking moments just some of the explanations seem weaker. By no means do I want to criticise the show just certain aspects aren't what I want to see. I can't remember that exact quotes but when Juliet and Jack spoke with Daniel at one point some of her questions made me laugh. She is a qualified doctor and apparently one of the best in her field but appeared to act less educated. Mainly because the show needs to get it's explanation right. Otherwise people wouldn't have the same interest. As I said I really enjoy lost so it's not putting me off in the slightest. More that I'm giving it a B+ rather than an A.

I don't see how you can base the date on the island on anything.. except if you take the above theory - that time on the island and off the island is always the same it's just the journey off the island which can take you out of synch - to be true.

I don't see how you can base the date on the island on anything.. except if you take the above theory - that time on the island and off the island is always the same it's just the journey off the island which can take you out of synch - to be true.

the theory posted by rosslarkin goes way beyound that.

I don't know. I read the first two paragraphs of that theory and I couldn't relate it to what I watched in these 4 seasons. Now I am willing to concede I have a pretty bad memory but some of that theory seems like pure conjecture to me. And its conjecture which seems to have no connection with my Lost watching experience.

And worryingly if it is not, it seems to me to have some sort of spoiler element. But then that person would have to have a great deal of inside knowledge about the show. So it seems to me it must be conjecture.

Lost is a great TV show but it is getting increasing easy to read. It still has a lot of shocking moments just some of the explanations seem weaker. By no means do I want to criticise the show just certain aspects aren't what I want to see. I can't remember that exact quotes but when Juliet and Jack spoke with Daniel at one point some of her questions made me laugh. She is a qualified doctor and apparently one of the best in her field but appeared to act less educated. Mainly because the show needs to get it's explanation right. Otherwise people wouldn't have the same interest. As I said I really enjoy lost so it's not putting me off in the slightest. More that I'm giving it a B+ rather than an A.

Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go ahead and say a spinal surgeon and a Oxford lecturer on physics are more educated than a fertility doctor.

the thing is his first two paragraphs seemed so way out in terms of what i had seen in 4 seasons that it scared me to think there might be a spoiler element. in fact i took the safer option of saying it is spoiler rather than some half-cocked idea. i don't want tot take chances.

though for a long time i have been watching lost as a spectator than trying to hard to figure out what is happening. the last episode finally killed off any hopes i had of the series explaining issues in what i would call a manner understandable in everyday life.

Also, that theory concentrates on the time distortions. It comes across to me like the DHARMA experiments, who Jacob is etc. are treated as afterthoughts, with details only added when overlapping with the time issues.

If Lost turns out to be revolving around time travel I'll be hugely, overwhelmingly disappointed. Particularly if this 'consciousness can travel backwards in time' ******** is true. Time travel just can't be satisfying as a system, it's never going to be consistent and it's always going to come across as a (lazy) storytelling device. There has never been a story/film/series that's used time travel in any remotely sensible way, it's inherently artificial and vague. To see a man of science like Daniel seriously addressing time travel ruined any sense I had that Lost was anchored in reality. I could accept mystical things going on on the island. I could accept spiritual people off the island talking about things that they believed in. I could accept DHARMA, scientific people, doing investigations into magnetism, genetics and time distortion, but people's minds travelling back in time? Lazy and unsatisfying.

Nucampe - i have to say I have started to firmly believe that whatever the finale of lost is going to be, it will trully disappoint those of us who want to believe there is a hook to everyday explanation of what has happened to the survivors of flight 815.

After 3 seasons and what about 30-40 episodes to go, I have decided to go along for the ride and try to shut off my inquisitive mind.

How is it lazy ffs? If anything it's making things more complicated. It's hardly an easy way out.

As for a story/film/series never using time travel sensibly, well that's just wrong as well. Babylon 5 springs to mind instantly.

Originally posted by BoroPhil:

How is it lazy ffs? If anything it's making things more complicated. It's hardly an easy way out.

As for a story/film/series never using time travel sensibly, well that's just wrong as well. Babylon 5 springs to mind instantly.

I am guessing it's lazy in the sense that at the beginning the premise was that all happenings were plausibly explainable.

Have the writers confirmed in a podcast that it is the conscience travelling? Matters not as the events have clearly (although it happened a long time ago) stepped beyond any reasonable expectation of what can happen in our real world.

Originally posted by BoroPhil:

I've never seen Babylon 5, so I can't comment on that.

As for the 'lazy' comment - how does making things more complicated preclude the writing from being lazy? If they're seriously proposing a storyline where the conscious minds of people can move in time, repossessing the minds of their past selves (and they might yet prove not to be) then I will see that as completely implausible and ill thought-out. The babble spewed by Daniel to try and explain what was happening jarred and made me think less of the character as a supposed scientist.

Time travel raises far too many ridiculous paradoxes and improbabilities (in a storyline sense.) For one - how were the two things that Desmond told Daniel in the past convincing to him? He seemed suspicious that it was a prank set up by a colleague, and yet Desmond persuaded him that he was from the future by knowing 1) the variables of one of his pieces of equipment and 2) the name of one of his rats. Someone listening at Daniel's door or having a peek through the window could have got that information! We, as viewers, don't question the information when future Daniel brings it up because we assume it's some woman from his past, but it's inconsequential.

If they pull a swerve and drop this time travel nonsense, or actually make this a cogent and sensible piece of fiction about it, then I'll be happy, but that episode was riddled with blatant storytelling devices and nonsensical babbling science. Again - if it had been simply time distortion, time passing faster in one area than another, then I could have believed it; but the idea that someone's consciousness, the personality rooted in the structure of your brain, can be scientifically induced (NOT 'mystically') to travel through time, I cannot accept.

Archived