FM2010 Idea - Hotels when travelling

hahaha we may as well create new staffs like cleaning lady or chef...

We could even expand that, ex: a player miss training because he is secretly dating the cleaning lady. When this is found, his morale decreases. So you can tell him that you support this relationship or say you don't, and fire the cleaning lady, which could further decrease said player's morale. :D

First of all, we all have to encourage people posting new ideas and thinking outside the box as I'm sure that's partly the reason why the Football Manager series is in such a healthy position, in terms of football management sims and just why Football Manager is ahead of the curve, in terms of it's pears. SI have a loyal as well as a creative fan-base and I'm sure the lads at SI appreciate our impute. Some of our ideas may be asinine and downright ridiculous but where there's 50 stupid ideas there'll be one gem of an idea, so conveying ideas should definitely be encouraged.

No need to rip the urine.

Secondly, the hotel thing is taking micro-management to a whole different level.

But you're thinking, I like it. ;)

I like this idea. For example last night at Inter obviously Fergie didn't pick the hotel, BUT Fergie did decide the match squad to fly over there, ie decided Rafael wasn't fit enough but took O'Shea & Evans even though they were both carrying injuries.

It could follow that you would have too pick the squad to travel to an away game a day or two before the match. So it would be a trade off knowing the condition of a player would be better off leaving him behind with the physio for the next weekends game against needing him for this game.

Also could make for hard tactical choices, for example your a lower league club with small squad, if your striker injures himself on night before game in training and your next choice striker is in reserves you couldn't pick him as hes been left behind, so have to use only the players you took down with you so have too change system to suit who you have took.

It could be implemented pretty easily really as this is basically what already happens for international management in FM09 anyway when you get a msg in inbox asking to pick squad to travel for international game(s).

I bet Fergie did pick the hotel. Top managers pay attention to this type of detail, but that does not mean that I would like to see it in FM10 unless it was in the finance section where the costs of overnight stays are reflected.

The only other thing I would mention is that just because a feature is similar to something in FIFA manager does not mean it is a bad idea. Yes FM is far superior to FIFA manager that does not mean that they can't pinch some of FIFA's better ideas

I think the hotel thing is a bit naff, but it did get me thinking about a few other issues, and team rules might be interesting: curfews, diet, bans on girlfriends traveling with team, etc.

Presumably different players would react differently.

Too complicated? Not relevant?

Oh, and sorry if this had been raised in the "ideas for 2010" threard which is now just way too long for any sane person to read all the way through.

People saying this idea is too gimmicky aren't appreciating how important a decision this actually is for teams in the lower leagues. They need to balance whether to travel to an away game a fair distance away is worth spending extra money on a hotel is worth it in order for the players to be fresher for the match in question.

The subject is covered in some detail in the excellent book "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" when the team rose through the ranks, the club's owner and president were both unhappy they now had to pay for hotels for the players and staff when they made ever bigger trips to away games.

I found it weird that L**ds United and Duddersfield Town played each other lately being a Bradford fan we hate these. But...

L**ds stayed in an hotel and billed Duddersfield the costs even though its 5 mins down the M62

Absolute joke. L**ds were claiming that coming across the m62 at early morning would be too stressful for the players ahead of the game. They billed Huddersfield the costs even though they had no control over kick off time what so ever. Typical L**ds

• SI Staff
It is football manager, and i think that if you let things like this into the game it will open the gate for so many pointless personal features, like what car to buy or building up a family, so for me, its a no.

Cars and families don't really have any relevance to your role as a Football Manager. Things like choosing whether to stay in a hotel (or what mode of transport to take to a match) are sometimes quite important decisions to make, especially for clubs who may have cash problems.

it could be a good idea but mainly for lower league sides. Do u sacrafice some of the limited funds u have to stay in a hotel, which could result in u getting a precious 3 points. Or do u risk travelling on the day because u need that extra money to go toward that striker u really need.

Could be good

Tbh this would be a feature that would be left to my assistant. I dont really see the benefits of having this in the game. A lot of teams use the same hotel for their home games anyway so you wouldnt be using this very often.

Archived