DIGCMO THREAD.

dogs

yep first night is tonight, i will be in about the room to oversee how it goes.

Deano however in the room is governor in his position as host for the evening. Any requests or permissions should be obtained through him.

I would make sure also that you are patched with the latest offering from SI icon_smile.gif

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kozak:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clarence Seedorf:

no results yet icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clarence Seedorf didnt miss a penalty yet??? icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe, going to make him my No.1 penalty taker icon_biggrin.gif

Now to the 2nd round, 6 from 8 through, Deano's Scotland going out after losing 3-2 to my Sweden despite going 2-0 up in 20 minutes icon_wink.gif

Portugal v Germany (birkelse, scoring freely to win gp)

Italy (PS79; 3 wins too) v Turkey (Fevs, only lost to Germany)

France v England (gw79, narrowly 2nd to Czechs)

Sweden (me, just) v Czechs (Stevo, good recovery after a slow start, dangerous late on!)

DIGCMO EURO 2004

Well it all started tonight and was a great success, 8 players contested the tournament, a few people joined late and some other didn’t get the patch installed, but 8 players was good for the first tryout.

The players contesting were as follows :

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>deano (Host) - Scotland

<LI> fevs – Turkey

<LI> birk – Germany

<LI> bluedog – Sweden

<LI> PS23 - Italy

<LI> gw79 - England

<LI> tbuk|stevo – Czech Republic

<LI>Clarence Seedorf – Holland

Here’s how the tournament panned out …..

GROUP STAGES

Group A

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | Q | Germany | 3 | 3 | 0 | 0 | 12 | 1 | +11 | 9 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Q | Turkey | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 5 | 3 | +2 | 6 |

| 3rd | | Denmark | 3 | 1 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 5 | -2 | 3 |

| 4th | | Switzerland | 3 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 0 | 11 | -11 | 0 |

</pre>

Germany romp to the group win with Birk destroying the Swiss 6-0, fevs also qualifies with ease.

Group B

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | Q | Italy | 3 | 3 | 0 | 0 | 7 | 2 | +5 | 9 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Q | Portugal | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 5 | 4 | +1 | 6 |

| 3rd | | Greece | 3 | 1 | 0 | 2 | 6 | 8 | -2 | 3 |

| 4th | | Holland | 3 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 2 | 6 | -4 | 0 |

</pre>

PS23’s Italy side look ominously good in the group stage with 3 wins, Clarence Seedorfs Holland team however never recovered from their first beating at the hands of the Italians.

Group C

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | Q | France | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 6 | 2 | +4 | 7 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Q | Sweden | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 5 | 6 | -1 | 6 |

| -------------------------------------------------- ------------------------- -|

| 3rd | | Scotland | 3 | 0 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 5 | -1 | 2 |

| 4th | | Bulgaria | 3 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 3 | -2 | 1 |

</pre>

The final group game pitted Sweden against Scotland for a place in the quarters, the Scots race into a 2 goal lead only for them to realize that they could be on the verge of making history by qualifying for the second phase and they chuck is away to go down 3-2.

Group D

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | Q | Czech Republic | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 4 | 2 | +2 | 7 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Q | England | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 7 | 4 | +3 | 6 |

| 3rd | | Croatia | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | -1 | 4 |

| 4th | | Russia | 3 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 4 | 8 | -4 | 0 |

</pre>

The Czechs and England never really looked in any danger in this group, despite the constant dumbing down of their chances from the England manager gw79.

QUARTER FINALS

Portugal 0 Germany 1

Lets just say the scoreline flattered Portugal a lot.

Turkey 1 Italy 5

Fevs Turkeys get roasted good and proper by the awesome Italians

France 2 England 0

A one sided affair with England only managing 1 shot off target all match.

Sweden 2 Czech Republic 0

Allback proves the hero with a two goal salvo to take the Swedes into the semis

SEMI FINALS

Germany 3 Sweden 2

Bluedog’s team raced into a 2-0 lead through the awesome Allback who netted in the 10th and 54th minutes. Only for Germany to come storming back in the unlikely form of Bobic who netted in the 68th and 79th minutes and to round off a great comeback completed his hatrick two minutes later to send Germany into the final.

Italy 1 France 4

I wont dwell on this too much but PS23’s team were outclassed by the slick French you moved onto the final with and easy victory

FINALS

Germany 5 France 0

Klose and Bobic lead from the front and with a brace a piece help birk be crowned the first DIG champion, in what was a truly impressive performance all the way through the tornament wining all 6 matches and scoring 20 goals in the process. Very well done.

CONCLUSIONS

Overall, it was a great nights gaming with no real problems, all the players were enthusiastic and where a great bunch. I have a couple of recommendations for next time, but most things went as expected. The tournament ran like so ….

20:25 Squads confirmed

20:50 First Game Started

00:00 Group Stage finished

01:00 Quarter Finals finished

01:45 The Final

It basically takes about 5 hours, even with a full house you probably only need to add another 30 mins onto this finish time as there was only 4 group games where no human player was participating, and if you can start on time then 1-1.30 will be your finish time.

RECOMMENDATIONS

First off hosts would be better getting people to join as soon as they can as this proved to be the biggest delay and required the greatest amount of assistance and explanation.

Second, easier to manage and identify people, if managers use their forum id in mirc AND as their manager name in the game.

Thirdly, having the FAQ will be a great help particularly the section on joining a network game.

Lastly, not sure if the FAQ covers this or not, but maybe we could have a post in the DIGCMO sticky if not, that details the main points of online etiquette. For example only joining the game when prompted, don’t leave unless given the all clear that kind of thing, again would make the hosts job easier on the night.

Thats about it for now, I might remember some other things, but I’ll post them in due course

Cheers

Deano

icon_smile.gif

Deano you done a great job mate, well done. Thanks to you and all the others who answered my questions along the way. I did get a good beating by France but in my defence it was only when i changed to a very attacking formation. icon_biggrin.gif Excuses, starting already! lol

I will be back next week for more fun and heartache!

First of all i would like to thx the people who set this thing up for peoeple like me who only can play a few times. icon14.gif

I can only play these short terms games, I will maybe be around next friday.

I draw the Germans( have never played a German team before in Cm 03-04) so i have to stick with the players you know from tv. It surpriced me how good they are in the game. In the group Ive only meet one human manager.Going very well and next the quarterfinal against Portugal. Just scoring 1 goal, lucky for me it was enough. Next game the semifinal where Sweden come along. Manager of Sweden(bluedog ) knows his homework, he did a tactical icon14.gif

In 1 half Germans were outclassed and we were down with 2 goals at halftime. I have to sub 3 and Bobic did his onemanshow and scored 3 goals. Lucky Germans( think they always are in real life) and it was to be confirmed against Sweden.Feel sorr for (bluedog) but thas life. In the finals a strong France team who had smash my favorit Italy in semis.

Finals underway and a easy win for the Germans and the first Euro Championship( for me) Maybe I was lucky to only meet 2 human controlled teams, if I should have meet 6 human managers it maybe wouldnt go that well.

Think I will be around next friday, but will be a reserve, I think all newbies that want to play online, get into the game and enjoy all night.It is a good experimence, just try to do what the Host tells you to do

icon14.gif for them that made this happen yesterday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kozak:

Good job guys. icon14.gif World Cup next week?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully K, we need to think out a format that will work tho.

Was a long game last night. WC would be longer, more games etc

Excellent game, a bit on the long side ( I played 4 games in 6 hours) and I probably trod on a few toes.

Plus, my result against France doesn't look too bad compared to the Italian game.

Thanks for all your help Deano!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr X:

Good job guys. icon14.gif World Cup next week?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully K, we need to think out a format that will work tho.

Was a long game last night. WC would be longer, more games etc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

* Olympic games (U23)

* Africa Cup

* Copa America (tell Brazil & Argentina to only select U23players icon_biggrin.gif)

These could be options as well I think.

hi all,

i thought it went quite smoothly for a first time, and was very enjoyable, although i'm glad i didn't have to keep awake until 3am!

can i put a few thoughts up for discussion for future weeks?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> As Deano says, making sure everyone is patched and logged in needs be done as soon as possible

<LI> As soon as newbies arrive, can we give them a team to let them work through the available squad players in single player if necessary?

<LI> To increase the amount of human v human games, we could fill up the groups with 3 humans immediately, and then the host and any other experienced players can take the 4th and worst teams in the group, or pad out other groups if necessary. More people will get knocked out, but they'll get 2 or 3 games v humans which is what we are trying to encourage?

<LI> The above suggestion will speed up the game, since the slowdown was everyone having to play individual matches against the computer, if everyone plays each other, the time should cut almost in half? (for instances, 2 groups of 4 last night would have been very exciting, or even 3/3/2, and we'd have saved an hour, probably.) Do the new players want to test their mettle against those of us who have played before, or amongst themselves, or both?

<LI> How awkward is it to fit latecomers in? We could just give them a team who has just played, and then they'll get 30 mins to get to know them, and they''ll get a game or two at least.

Or someone watching with a floating ip no. could just start up a scratch game to show them how to connect and play a match with them just to give them a flavour of how it would be so as to encourage them to come early next week...

<LI> Include Latvia and/or Iceland icon_wink.gif

That's probably enough thoughts for now; but it looks like DIGCMO has had a promising start, long may it continue!

Overall it looked like it was a good venture.

First few attempts are always gonna throw up some problems which I'm sure will be ironed out over time.

Bluedog made some good points about the making best efforts to pair up managers in the early stages to shorten ame time. Whilst some managers may be knocked out early, Getting as many games as possible in as short a time possible is imperitive. Remember this game is orgamised with the aim that we will get as many new players involved in CMO as possible so giving them games against human managers is what is the most important thing.

The impression I get from the convo's in the chatroom and the feedback on here is that those that played for the first time last night will have a go again. So in that we have already scored a success icon14.gif

After playing my first CMO i want to come back for more. But having the phone line in use on a friday night isnt sitting too well with the family icon_frown.gif

So im looking at broadband and wanted to know which BB company you guys use? Im currently with AOL 56k dialup and ive heard there can be issues with AOL BB and online games. Any recommendations?

I can recommend eclipse. I've had them for over 7 months and not once been disconnected.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

One of the fastest and cheapest suppliers in UK too. Before you ask go for 500 lite option to start with.

If you haven't got hardware (which I doubt) they also do some good deals for supplying hardware when you order. I suggest you take a look.

www.adslguide.org is also a good reference port for the world of ADSL

AOL BB does seem to get a lot of stick especially with regards to online gaming, but I've been using them since August last year and found it great with the exception of being cut off over Xmas, but that was down to BT not AOL. Most BB providers will be much the same as unless it is from a Cable provider (and even then not always) it will go over the BT Broadband network for the most.

The main thing you need to look for is having a decent upstream speed as well as Downstream especially if you are ever going to want to host as this has a baring on how well you will be able manage the clients connected.

I would personally try to start the game as near as to 6pm as possible:

1) Team selection should really only need around 15/30 mins.

2) Game up for 6/6:30 so then tournamement can start.

Alternatively we can just use the AI to pick the teams for the tournament so we can go straight into the tournament without waiting for the preliminary bits and pieces setting up the team. Remember this is about getting people into the online game not so much as a full on serious long game. Lets not run before we are walking. I think the earlier we can finish the better more people will be present within these games.

Oh and I get no Commission, Based on personal experience 2 years service 10 mins downtime if that. PIPEX is the ISP to go for. No other network is the same. icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats to Deano and the players for making the first tournament a success. If I had known it didn't start until after 8, I would have dropped by, but I thought it was going to start at 7 and didn't know that I could arrive late. I'll try and get there for the next one and see if it is OK to jump in.

It all bodes well for the future and I know it's already been said, if the first timers are wanting to play more CM online, it's been a success already.

Well done, again, lads icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluedog:

To increase the amount of human v human games, we could fill up the groups with 3 humans immediately, and then the host and any other experienced players can take the 4th and worst teams in the group, or pad out other groups if necessary. More people will get knocked out, but they'll get 2 or 3 games v humans which is what we are trying to encourage?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this, I spread the players out across the groups evenly, but it would better to have done it this way, even if it means half the players going out of the tournament early. Perhaps something to test out is whether the game/flow would be affected by the players who go out maybe taking over one of the AI teams (if any are available) that is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluedog:

How awkward is it to fit latecomers in? We could just give them a team who has just played, and then they'll get 30 mins to get to know them, and they''ll get a game or two at least.

Or someone watching with a floating ip no. could just start up a scratch game to show them how to connect and play a match with them just to give them a flavour of how it would be so as to encourage them to come early next week...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what to do about latecomers, bit of a difficlut one, but whatever is decided it should be consistent, i.e a blanket NO or YES, not NO or YES depending on certain conditions, this will just lead to problems and arguments. Personally, I dont think latecomers should be allowed to join, harsh yes, but if I can organise myself to get home from work early, sort the kids out and placate the wife and eat my tea, before hosting this tournament (f**k me I am a bloody star aren't I icon_cool.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif ), then surely most people can make the start time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wengermagic:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't host this early, and this would probably restrict the amount of available players as well. I think it is better to start later and then players leave the game if it is getting to late for them to play till the finish, rather than making the game totally unavailable to some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wengermagic:

Alternatively we can just use the AI to pick the teams for the tournament so we can go straight into the tournament without waiting for the preliminary bits and pieces setting up the team. Remember this is about getting people into the online game not so much as a full on serious long game. Lets not run before we are walking. I think the earlier we can finish the better more people will be present within these games.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is a good idea, dispense with squad selection and start the game on the first day of the tournament, this would shave at least an hour more like and hour and a half off the total game time.

Cheers

Deano

icon_smile.gif

Thanks to those who recommended BB companys. I would like to stick with AOL but after looking at that adsl guide, they performed pretty averagely compared to others. Pipex is looking pretty good but its customer service dont seem to get good feedback from what i read.

I'm an aol user and often see comments from people who aren't, who say 'AOhell is ****'. But they never give any info as to why this is the case.

I've had their 512k broadband for 6 months now and have had few problems.

although not my prefered choice of BB, my father in law has Aol BB and has not had any problems.

Can we get back on topic with regards the DIGCMO and place anymore BB discussions in the CMO offtopic thread icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deano:

To increase the amount of human v human games, we could fill up the groups with 3 humans immediately, and then the host and any other experienced players can take the 4th and worst teams in the group, or pad out other groups if necessary. More people will get knocked out, but they'll get 2 or 3 games v humans which is what we are trying to encourage?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I agree with this, I spread the players out across the groups evenly, but it would better to have done it this way, even if it means half the players going out of the tournament early. Perhaps something to test out is whether the game/flow would be affected by the players who go out maybe taking over one of the AI teams (if any are available) that is.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on game progress this could be used. If a certain manager goes out of the tournament the host will then automatically offer the player in question a team, it is up to the player to accept or decline the offer. If he declines then he/she will need to exit out of the game and allow the game to continue. I think if we keep the players who are out of the competition out of the game it will improve speeds within the game. Players can stay informed with the game via the IRC Chat room.

How awkward is it to fit latecomers in? We could just give them a team who has just played, and then they'll get 30 mins to get to know them, and they''ll get a game or two at least.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what to do about latecomers, bit of a difficlut one, but whatever is decided it should be consistent, i.e a blanket NO or YES, not NO or YES depending on certain conditions, this will just lead to problems and arguments. Personally, I dont think latecomers should be allowed to join, harsh yes, but if I can organise myself to get home from work early, sort the kids out and placate the wife and eat my tea, before hosting this tournament (f**k me I am a bloody star aren't I icon_cool.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif ), then surely most people can make the start time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. Although this could be reviewed by maybe just adding 2-3 if applicable to teams just played. Empasis must be on the amount of online players at the time of late comer arrivals in chat room.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't host this early, and this would probably restrict the amount of available players as well. I think it is better to start later and then players leave the game if it is getting to late for them to play till the finish, rather than making the game totally unavailable to some.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was used as an example. Obviously not all will be able to host the game at this time. The main thing we need to do is to get the game time down as I feel 1:30am - 3am finish is a little OTT for a drop-in game.

Alternatively we can just use the AI to pick the teams for the tournament so we can go straight into the tournament without waiting for the preliminary bits and pieces setting up the team. Remember this is about getting people into the online game not so much as a full on serious long game. Lets not run before we are walking. I think the earlier we can finish the better more people will be present within these games.

Cheers

Deano

icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is a good idea, dispense with squad selection and start the game on the first day of the tournament, this would shave at least an hour more like and hour and a half off the total game time.

Speed should be of the essence and with Automatically chosen squads it should cut times down.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also totally agree with dispensing with squad selection. I'd imagine that for most nations players would confirm the huge majority of the AI selected team. Players that they are familiar with through television.

It also means we can get straight into the action, rather than faffing around for an hour. icon_smile.gif

For me, when picking England, it was just a case of removing the 4 I didn't want form the original 26 and taking out Phil Neville to put in Gareth Barry.

I'm sure the AI differences would be minimal and the opportunity cost of allowing the comp to pick the squads is much greater than picking them ourselves.

Verdict: Agreed. icon14.gif

Not a bad idea to go with the squads that the comp picks but if people get there early enough, would they still be able to pick the squad? If i had stuck with the computer squad, i wouldnt have had Pazzini in the squad who did great for me! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think this is a good idea, dispense with squad selection and start the game on the first day of the tournament, this would shave at least an hour more like and hour and a half off the total game time. Speed should be of the essence and with Automatically chosen squads it should cut times down.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep i'm %100 behind this, its about playing the game, no long term effects as its only a short term tournement. Ok so we adjust the save game template to 1 day before the opening tournement game icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

Just an idea, but could people who wish to select their own squads not log on a bit earlier and do their squads then holiday to tournament time?

I know I'd quite like to pick my own squad icon_biggrin.gif

Archived