DIGCMO THREAD.

dogs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Worcester City Researcher:

Sounds intriging!

Will we get to chose which Nation we can manage or is it assigned automatically?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its done on a first come service, the earlier you arrive, the better your choice icon_smile.gif

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Just an idea, but could people who wish to select their own squads not log on a bit earlier and do their squads then holiday to tournament time?

I know I'd quite like to pick my own squad icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the opening night allowed players to shortlist and pick their own squads. This had an effect on the overall time it took to run the game. As the whole function of the DIGCMO is to give newcomers to online cm a taster to what its all about, the selection of squads runs second to the actuall playing against other managers. We are going to run with this idea this week to see if there is any dramatic change to the overall gameplay and time taken to complete the whole night. If its not a major increase we may return to letting players choose their own squads icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Worcester City Researcher:

Sounds intriging!

Will we get to chose which Nation we can manage or is it assigned automatically?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the host will delegate teams, if you are total noob to online play you may be given a more favourable team icon_wink.gif

All this is UK time?

May ia suggest another host for people who are not in the UK/Europe, as the timing effectively leaves out 4 continents of possible players.

N America, S America, Asia & Australasia. This is certainly something which i'd be interested in.

As a general recommendation for the advancement of CMOnline please use Timezones. Not everyone lives in the UK icon_wink.gif e.g 7.30pm(GMT) rather than just 7.30pm

Also, as a later addition. maybe add competency levels, so you can have more hosts, and some hosts who will host a intermediate level, where people can select their own squads. Obviously something to look at for the future icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoista!:

All this is UK time?

May ia suggest another host for people who are not in the UK/Europe, as the timing effectively leaves out 4 continents of possible players.

N America, S America, Asia & Australasia. This is certainly something which i'd be interested in.

As a general recommendation for the advancement of CMOnline please use Timezones. Not everyone lives in the UK icon_wink.gif e.g 7.30pm(GMT) rather than just 7.30pm

Also, as a later addition. maybe add competency levels, so you can have more hosts, and some hosts who will host a intermediate level, where people can select their own squads. Obviously something to look at for the future icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your ideas are all good.

There has been nothing in place like this before and has only ran one night. Once it becomes established a bit more over the next few weeks we will of course look at ways of expanding the service so as it makes it more accessable to all icon_smile.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoista!:

All this is UK time?

Also, as a later addition. maybe add competency levels, so you can have more hosts, and some hosts who will host a intermediate level, where people can select their own squads. Obviously something to look at for the future icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes this is something we will be looking at implementing but first we need to walk before we run. This will feature soon I am sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He will liase with all using this thread later this week <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep just had a few personal issues to sort out this week so I haven't been around as much. I'll be online later for the transfer of the saved file and to catch up on any new requirements for this weeks game. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Just an idea, but could people who wish to select their own squads not log on a bit earlier and do their squads then holiday to tournament time?

That would also of course be up to the host, who may not have the time to allow people to log on earlier. As the idea develops, each host will no doubt bring their own uniqueness and people might find some are willing to open the game earlier to allow this and some simply cant. Picking the squad isnt really a biggy anyway, and its a good excuse when you lose icon_wink.gif

The problem with this of course is that if the Host roles with a save game template which is saved the day before the tournement starts (as has been mentioned) allowing one or two people to select squads earlier is not gonna work. You have to have all selecting squads or none. Otherwise time is still wasted while the game is holiday'd forward to the start of the tournement

DIGCMO Game - Friday 23rd January

The second installment of Online Champ DIG will take place this Friday starting at 7pm.

The Game will be again be Euro 2004.

Please read the DIGCMO (Drop In Game Championship Manager Online) sticky in the forum before Friday if you are going to come and join the fun.

Again, you can post any questions in here and myself or the other hosts will endevour to answer them. You can contact me (email in profile) if you dont want to post here.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday.

Cheers

Niall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

_DIGCMO Game - Friday 23rd January_

The second installment of Online Champ DIG will take place this Friday starting at 7pm.

The Game will be again be Euro 2004.

Please read the DIGCMO (Drop In Game Championship Manager Online) sticky in the forum before Friday if you are going to come and join the fun.

Again, you can post any questions in here and myself or the other hosts will endevour to answer them. You can contact me (email in profile) if you dont want to post here.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday.

Cheers

Niall<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good stuff Niall, I'm expecting some traffic after the sticky went Global this week. Unfortunately i'll be absent on the night due to shiftwork. I'm sure other guys will be about in the event you need any assistance icon_smile.gif

The draw for the UEFA European Championships in Portugal 2004 was made today and the group stages are as follows.

Group A

Denmark

Germany

Switzerland

Turkey

Group B (The Group of Death)

Portugal (hosts)

Holland

Greece

Italy

Group C

Bulgaria

France (holders)

Scotland (???) icon_wink.gif

Sweden

Group D

Croatia

England

Russia

Czech Republic

Apparently the Irish decided to give the football a miss and go out on the lash instead icon14.gif

See you tomorrow at 7 for the team rollout.

Niall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Are all teams taken for this weeks challenge? If not and you need a manager then I'll be on my msn Niall. Good luck and have a good one. icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teams are allocated on the night to people who join the #DIGCMO channel on IRC (Quakenet), no teams are given out in advance, its a first come, first serve deal icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Life Is To Short To Be Taken Seriously:

This is my first time playing online. So i just go onto the IRC room and get given a team?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep

Id like to thank PM7 for hosting a game at short notice last night (Fri night), there was quite alot of people wanting a game so another game was organised and PM7 hosted it and did a great job.

Really enjoying this online gaming, becoming very addictive.

My wee group were excellent, we had no probs at all, and it all went very smoothly. One suggestion though would be if we had more then the 16 in the future to split the groups a bit more evenly perhaps.

I'll post something later on, once I remember who was who. icon_redface.gif

I was in second group and drawed Croatia. icon_wink.gif

It started with a 3-2 defeat to the Czech Republic, and I have to win my next game against Russia. We win 3-0 and must now wait the result of Czech Republic-England. It was a draw and I have to beat England, if I have to go one round further. Beat England 2-0 in a fantastic game, and Czech Republic and Croatia

went on to the quarterfinals. My next game against France and I was outclassed, outplayed and lost 2-0 in a welldesereved win for France.

This was the tournamnet for me this time, and i have a lot of funs all night.

The game went well, no problemos, maybe because we all have try before.

Wants to thx the host in both games, and the people who makes it work, so I have the chance to get some online gaming icon14.gificon_cool.gif

Cheers from the" old" man from Denmark

KUTHGW

Good Morning Finally icon_smile.gif

Magnificent effort last night ! The two DIGCMO games went absolutely brilliantly.

My first effort at online gaming in CM03/04 and I'm hooked. DIGCMO1 went on till about 4:15 A.M. I'm going to play forevaaaaa !!!!

BelfastNiall was a splendid host, patient as hell with all the newbies including yours truly and bluedog for keeping a general eye on things. Thanks guys icon14.gif

If the group stages were good, the knockout stages were magnificent. Two of the stand out managers were ExiledTiger who took Portugal to the Cup and Spurs1979 who took Scotland to extra-time in the first semi-final.

Won't give the lot away till BelfastNiall posts his match reports. Look forward to seeing that !

There your are Spurs1979, how about that, eh? The three of us who were up till 4:15 A.M. or so are the first few on the forums.

Poor WRC, he's probably got nightmares about how badly you destroyed him in the Quarters ! icon_biggrin.gif Some scoreline that, Miller time, was it ?

Well some people tend to find it hard to admit the truth about games, nobody was rubbing his face in it until he started to say how I was lucky, bad loser in my books. I'm sure he'll have his say but I dont have time for people to knock the opponent if they lose, its my job to stuff you, its your job to stop it, you didnt do it so blame yourself icon_razz.gif

I was Denmark in the group that also had PM7 as Switzerland manager, Pip i think was Turkey manager and the computer controlled Germany.

I was lucky to win all 3 group games and proceed to the next round along with Turkey. I then faced a Dutch team that seemed to have worked through all their personal problems icon_wink.gif and they dominated the game to win 1-0 which sent the Danes home.

I want more CMO icon_biggrin.gif Its great!

Guest mcsteen

So Portugal won it? Well done!

And thanks to you all for a great fun (but slow) night.

I tell you it was a nightmare getting up at 5.30 this morning icon_frown.gif But it was definately worth it icon14.gif

DIGCMO EURO 2004

Last night Euro 2004 was renamed. It shall now officially be know as Euro 2004AM as the tournament lived up to billing, with superb games and shocks and spills along the way. 16 players began the evening and although there were some retirements along the way, the huge majority of players stuck with their teams until the bitter, and disappointing end. That is apart from the Portuguese manager, who stayed until the early hours to lift the famous old trophy, and deny his German counterpart in a close fought final.

The Players

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

Germany ---- Vikz

Denmark ---- Femster

Turkey ---- Covfan

Switzerland ---- I Love Liverpool

Portugal ---- ExiledTiger

Holland ---- Chris Purnell

Italy ---- Joeri Scheerlinck

Greece ---- Litstbts

France ---- Rdysn5

Sweden ---- Worchester

Bulgaria ---- Howard McSleen

Scotland ---- Matt Hooker

Czech Rep.---- Dominic Nelson

England ---- Niall Murphy

Croatia ---- Andy Jones

Russia ---- Shaun Kelly

Group A

Germany coasted through Group A, winning both their opening matches against the Swiss and Turkey, before a complete capitulation in 5-0 reverse to the Danes in their final game. This group saw early retirements from Turkey and Denmark, with Switzerland failing to qualify, picking up only one point. The group also saw the game of the tournament, in Germany’s 4-3 win over the plucky Swiss, who provided great entertainment in attempting to come back from 4-0 down at HT.

Group Qualifiers

Germany Vikz

Turkey N/A

Group B

The group of death lived up to expectations, as the Dutch, the Italians and the Portuguese slugged it out for the top two spots, with the plucky Greeks trying their utmost to upset the apple cart. For the Greeks it just wasn’t to be as an excellent opening point against the hosts, was followed by successive defeats. On the final day of this group it was still possible for all four teams to qualify but in the decider between Holland and Portugal, the Dutch dominated the game with 17-5 on shots, but still managed to lose 3-2, with Van der Vaart scoring an unlikely own goal. The Dutch will have been disappointed not to have progressed. Portugal sneak through the groups, along with Italy, whose manager also retired early.

Group Qualifiers

Italy N/A

Portugal Exiled Tiger

Group C

As expected, France qualified without breaking sweat and with a 100% record. The battle for second place went to the wire between Sweden and Scotland (managed by EPL Challenge’s Matt Hooker) after Bulgaria lost all their games. In an outstanding performance, Sweden were annihilated 6-1 by an excellent Scottish side who provided the shock of the tournament so far by qualifying for the QF’s.

Group Qualifiers

France Rdysn5

Scotland Matt Hooker

Group D

England and Czech Republic set the early pace in this group with wins over Russia and Croatia respectively. The Czechs then beat England 2-1 in a close game, where better finishing from the Czechs sealed the victory. Russia and Croatia failed to take maximum advantage by playing out a 1-1 draw. In the final games, the Czech side managed now by the AI, lost 4-0 to Russia. However it was to late for the Russians to progress, as England duly beat the Croats 1-0 to seal top spot in the group.

Group Qualifiers

England Niall Murphy

Czech Rep. N/A

Quarter Finals

Portugal 3-0 Turkey

A comprehensive win for the hosts

Germany 2-0 Italy

Germans looking ominous again

France 3-1 Czech Republic

Could anyone stop the French Juggernaut

Scotland 3-2 England

Scotland come back from 2-1 down to win the tie, and the pride of Britain on the silver goal rule.

Semi’s

Scotland 0-1 Portugal

Portugal edge through on the silver goal rule

Germany p 2-2 France

Old enemies meet in another top Euro semi, and just like in ’82 Germany win through on pens

Final

Portugal 2-1 Germany

A tremendous performance by both managers to last this far into the morning and the tournament, and Portugal take the trophy for the first time in their history

Conclusions

Overall a superb nights champ online. 16 players, 14 new players and only 2 clan members yet there were no problems whatsoever. Good banter among all competitors and the game was played in a fantastic spirit, despite the awful amount of time this tournament went on (over 8 hours).

19:30 Squads confirmed

19:45 First Game Started

01:30 Group Stage finished

02:30 Quarter Finals finished

04:00 The Final

This game lasted so long as in each of the 31 games there was a human player involved. Nothing could have been done to speed it up as all managers were excellent in picking teams on time, and in playing the games. The save times were terrible (approx 2mins a time) Allowing 10 minutes per game means that the tournament time on matches alone should take 5 hours. However with dealing with new player problems etc etc, and the save issues, plus one crash, the game took far longer than expected. It would be worthwhile looking at the two hosts idea and a max of 10 players in each game.

However, everybody enjoyed the competition despite these issues and nearly every manager said they enjoyed it. Overall the night was a success, but the time issue will need to be addressed with 16 players.

Also – could we have a Right back included in the squad for Sweden. icon_wink.gif

Guest mcsteen

BULGARIAN MANAGER GOES AWOL

The manager of the Bulgarian national side is yet to be found after his teams poor display in the European Championships. As the players arrived at Sofia International Airport this morning, a mob of thousands of angry supporters had met up to show their disgust with the team, shouting words like "cowards, traitors and ******".

It's not the poor results alone that have upset the Bulgarian people, but the way the last game of the group against France was played. Bulgaria was already with no chance of qualifying before the last match, and the manager McSteen chose to play with a destructive tactic with one goal in mind; damage the opposition. Just before the game he was quoted: "If we can't enjoy this tournament, neither should they!" Luckily the French football artists escaped without severe injuries.

A spokesperson for the Bulgarian supporters club promised that McSteen would be buried alive if he ever put his feet back on Bulgarian soil. Latest rumours suggest that the former manager has changed identity and is hiding somewhere in Scandinavia, working as a postman to make ends meet.

(Reuters)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

_DIGCMO EURO 2004_

Also – could we have a Right back included in the squad for Sweden. icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good idea! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I didn't know where to look after that result against the very impressive Scots - so due to the shock of a). being hammered 6-1, & b). Actually seeing Scotland get past the first round of anything - instinct kicked in and I naturally blamed half of my squad for non-goodness!

Well run Niall - pretty good for a first taste of the online variety...

Oh, well played Matt as well!

Oh Flower of Scotland, When will we see your like again?...

Pride brought to Scotland finally!

Pesronally last night was brilliant as I lost 2-1 to France in a very close 1st game, then went on to beat a very defensive and well organised Bulgarian side 1-0 before thumping Sweden 6-1 (Luckily) and setting myself up with a game against my boss, BelfastNiall, as England. I duly went on to make myself a folk hero in Scotland by dumping there biggest rivals out 3-2 in a quality end to end game.

I then got Portugal which were a nightmare draw for me and I knew I'd be in for a tought time so set my team out to defend galliantly and try to sneak a goal. I held out till the 2nd min of ET before losing the decisive goal but they thoroughly deserved to be winners in a very 1 sided game.

Suggestions?

I would like to say that this is really going to take off and I can see it getting to the point of having 30+ managers turning up each week to get involved. This of course leads to problems with lengths of games. The main solution would of course be having more hosts and splitting it up into 2/3 groups of max 10 players in each. But if thats to be done I feel that we have to seed players prior to the game so selection of who is in which group can be done decisively and quickly to help speed it up. Maybe MR X can do a little seeding of who's who by getting people to request a seeding group from say 1st,2nd or 3rd seedings, 1st being the clan members and 3rd being new guys. Then new guys get given the best teams in the game and the more experienced guys get the smaller teams. Then when games progress new users can earn a higher seeding upon there performance. This way we can have new users & exerienced guys playing in the same games, rather then it just being newbies all the time being grouped together. Hopefully this would mean that some advice can be passed on through the game to the newbies from the experienced guys. This can be beneficial to them in getting into a clan themselves which would be great.

Interesting to see what does infact happen in the next few games but more improvements can be sure to happen icon14.gif

Overall conclusions:

Well, was happy to have reached the semis but felt I was unlucky not to reach the final. 1-0 down, went 2-1 ahead until Klose scored with literally the last kick of the game. But I suppose I did ok with it being only my second online experience (first in digcmo). Even if the game progressed at a shall we say gentle icon_wink.gif pace, I found it great. It was a 7pm-4am marathon icon_smile.gif.

One of the reasons I entered was to find a clan, don't seem to have made any progress in that regard though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rdysn5:

One of the reasons I entered was to find a clan, don't seem to have made any progress in that regard though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not what DIGCMO is for. Its to give people a taster of what CMO is like. Thats not to say it won't happen, but I wouldn't be suprised if there weren't an increase in the number of clans advertising for members as a result of these tournements.

DIGCMO Euro 2004 - Game Two

Due to the overwhelming numbers of people that wanted to play, we had to set up a second group, and I had the pleasure of hosting that. I have to commend my group of players for being patient whilst we set the game up, and for generally being a great group of guys who were very keen to play. It was certainly a very enjoyable occasion, and I know the players in my group had fun, even though none of us actaully made it to the semis icon_frown.gif

This is just going to be a very brief summary.

The Group Two Players

PM7 (host) - Switzerland

Andy 'ajsk' Jarman - Bulgaria

Rob Stone - Sweden

Phil 'pip' Elred - Turkey

Michael Neilsen - Croatia

Paul Song Denmark

Group A contained Denmark, Turkey and Switzerland, and it was the Danes and the Turks who went through. My excuse is, the Swiss are pish.

Group B Ended up with no humans cos of guy ****ing about who was supposed to be Greece. Anyway, Portugal and Holland went through.

Group C Had the Swedes and Bukgarians. Rob managed to scrap his Swedish side through, but sadly Bulgaria joined me on the scrap heap.

Group D Had croatia, and managed to qualify along with the Czech Republic.

In the Quarter Finals Denmark exited to Holland by 1-0, Turkey exited to Portugal 2-1 and Croatia went out to France.

So basically the tournament was over. It was still a good nights play though, although with hindsight I should have allocated the teams better, but I wasnt quite sure what the numbers would be.

As I said in a previous post, I think in future if we have more then 16 players, we should try and split the groups more evenly, but these are things that will be learned as we go all.

Thanks again to my guys for being such a great group of players icon_smile.gif

Its Paul Sang but i will let you off because it was another great night of CMO and you were the host who provided us with a chance of playing, Thanks again Peacemaker 7. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived