Only one winger.

Tactics-wise, I normally employ a narrow 4-3-3 with 3MC and 3FC/ST.

I try to make sure that two of my centre forwards are also AM/F L/R (in my case as Rangers manager that means Fleck, Lafferty or Naismith) that way depending on how the match is going I can switch to a 4-5-1, with one through the middle and some extra width.

Last night, due to a combination of factors, i.e. .injuries/suspensions etc, I had to play two FC up front, which meant come half time the only option I had was to play down one wing only.

This gave my formation a very unconventional, lop-sided look with a flat back-four, 3 MC, AML and 2 FC.

But it worked really well, I scored three quick goals and my AML was MOTM. I stuck with my new formation for another few games and it’s still working, so it doesn’t appear to have been a fluke or a one-off.

Like most people on here I’ve tried various tactics in FM2009 trying to find the ‘right’ blend, but I never considered an ‘unbalanced’ formation before. I’ve just stuck to bog-standard, symmetrical 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-3-2 etc.

Is this a quirk in the Match engine, or is it already an accepted tactical approach discussed at length elsewhere on these forums?

I originally posted this thread in GD by mistake, can one of the mods please delete that thread for me?

Tactics-wise, I normally employ a narrow 4-3-3 with 3MC and 3FC/ST.

I try to make sure that two of my centre forwards are also AM/F L/R (in my case as Rangers manager that means Fleck, Lafferty or Naismith) that way depending on how the match is going I can switch to a 4-5-1, with one through the middle and some extra width.

Last night, due to a combination of factors, i.e. .injuries/suspensions etc, I had to play two FC up front, which meant come half time the only option I had was to play down one wing only.

This gave my formation a very unconventional, lop-sided look with a flat back-four, 3 MC, AML and 2 FC.

But it worked really well, I scored three quick goals and my AML was MOTM. I stuck with my new formation for another few games and it’s still working, so it doesn’t appear to have been a fluke or a one-off.

Like most people on here I’ve tried various tactics in FM2009 trying to find the ‘right’ blend, but I never considered an ‘unbalanced’ formation before. I’ve just stuck to bog-standard, symmetrical 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-3-2 etc.

Is this a quirk in the Match engine, or is it already an accepted tactical approach discussed at length elsewhere on these forums?

Assymetrical formations are an accepted tactical approach in real life football employed by many managers in various contexts. The most obvious example to me is a Manchester United 4-4-2 with Park-Rooney-Berbatov-Ronaldo or Giggs-Rooney-Berbatov-Ronaldo.

The players in the formation allow 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 or 4-5-1 or 3-3-4 or 2-4-4 etc. formations to be "recognised" but the interesting thing is that the assymetry in Manchester United is not merely consigned to the wings or the forwards but operates at every single position and level on the pitch and usually results in an overall highly balanced yet individually highly assymetric formation of immense threat, versatility, movement and defensive strength.

Take for example a straight forward United 4-4-2.

---------VDS---------

GN----RF----NV----PE

CR----DF----MC----JP

------DB----WR------

It will often become this.

---------VDS---------

-----RF-------NV-----

GN-------MC-------PE

-----DF-------JP-----

--CR-----DB-----WR--

Or this.

---------VDS---------

-------RF-----NV-----

GN--------MC--------

------DF---------JP--

--CR--------WR------

--------DB---------PE

And indeed I could sit here all day drawing apparently random formations all based on the same principles of assymetric wingers, fullbacks, strikers, midfielders carrying out the same basic roles each time.

I would say that understanding the attacking power of assymetry but the vital necessity of balance, and utilising the right players with the right instructions in the right tactical framework is both the key and beauty of Football Manager, and football its self.

Archived