4-2-3-1 What to do with the ST?

I play with Chelsea and use a 4-2-3-1 system (AM L/C/R). I have funds so I'm not short of creative players.

Now, I've taken the TT&F framework for a 4-5-1 and put the FCa (or MCa as the framework suggests) in the AMC position, and the FCd up top as recomended.

Now, most players who are natural AMC are very good playmakers and as a result I give that position an advanced playmaker role (Attacking - FWR often, RWB often, TB often, others mixed).

Now, I used to leave him with mixed FWR as this made him available for the pass, then turn and create. The reason I switched his FWR to often, is because between him and the FCd up top, no one was in the centre of the pitch getting on the end of through balls. This got the AMC in to the box more, but it disjointed play between the MC and attack.

So, it looks like the obvious solution is to give the AMC FWR-mixed (as it says in the TT&F anyway) - thereby essentially giving him FCd instructions.

The question I have is:

What kind of mentality should the AMC have in relation to the FC and MC? Right now he is the highest on the pitch. And, should I play the FC as more of an FCa (Mentality and FWR?)? What about his other instructions (FC)?

I will tinker with this when I get home, but you know how it is. You get an idea in your head in the morning, and it drives you crazy all day long.

Thought I would take the opportunity to hear what the community thinks.

I'm trying a similar system at the moment.I have my striker as more of a target man.He's on hold up ball, Through ball often and long shots rarely.His mentality is lower then my AMC too.I've also been trying out putting a quicker striker in the AMC position with FWR often on.It works really nicely.

That's the problem I'm trying to sort out though. The ST is available as he has FCd mentality, and the AMC is making runs in to the box, but I want my AMC to act like a playmaker as most people in that position are better passers than finishers, and vice-versa for the ST.

So, I'm thinking of switching their mentalities and forward runs. I'm finding that with my AMC on FWR-often, that my MCs hold the ball for too long as they don't have anyone to pass to.

Also, between my MCa, AMC, and ST, I have 3 players all trying to play through balls.

Does anyone play with a lone striker but give him FCa mentalities?

Well maybe put your AMC in the playmaker list and have that checked in your team instructions.It will mean players will look for him more often in the game.Also maybe have him on FWR mixed and Through balls often.Another idea might be to put your Mc's on shorter passing so they will look for him rather then hoofing it over the top to your striker.

My AMC is definately ticked in the PM box.

And that's where my problem lies. To get him (AMC) the ball, which is what drives my team really, he need to be on FWR-mixed, but if the ST is on FCd instructions instead of FCa, no one is getting in to the box in the middle of the pitch.

So, I'm wondering what kind of success people have had with lone strikers playing in a FCa role?

(I'm taking all of this terminology from the TT&F as it really is required reading and I assume everyone has checked it out, marvelous piece of work by the way, let me take this opportunity to thank the people who put it together if you're reading this).

Does the lone FCa play himself out of the match by being too isolated (ie too many forward runs and too high of a mentality)? I guess that's the real question.

Well I have actually been trying my lone striker slightly off centre.So in one of the Right/Left central positions.And it seems to work very well.The striker moves into the channels and brings the other players into the game.Maybe have your wingers on free roles with high creative freedom and rare crosses.This will hopefully get them to cut inside more

My wingers are on FWR-often, RWB - Often, the rest mixed, with high creative freedom, I find this allows them to do a number of things with the ball, but always look to take on defenders and make something happen.

I'm going to try and give my ST FCa mentalities as opposed to the FCd (through balls hold up ball etc.) instructions he's currently on.

I think of it like this:

In a 4-4-2, I would want a FCd to play in a Rooney type of fashion, drop a little deeper and make plays, in my formation I would want my AMC to do this instead of my striker which is what is happening now (in fact they are both doing it is what the problem is). I'm just worried that if my lone ST has FCa instructions he will play himself out of the game.

In a 4-4-2 I would want my Rooney role

I'm trying a similar system at the moment.I have my striker as more of a target man.He's on hold up ball, Through ball often and long shots rarely.His mentality is lower then my AMC too.I've also been trying out putting a quicker striker in the AMC position with FWR often on.It works really nicely.

Good idea, thanks! Works like a charm for Adebayor - Vela combination.

Archived