Chancing fonts

Cedrik

There are noumbers of skins to download for FM 2009. Sometimes I see screenshots of people who apparently, somehow, have been able to edit the font of the skin.

A few examples;

Standard skin;

default skin

And here I saw a screenie with a totally different (thicker) font, it reminded me of the font we have on the standard FM 2009 skin;

desideri.png

Here again a screen of the standard skin;

default skin

And here what some-one made from it, again a slightly different and thicker font;

BaderAl-Yami-2.png

How is this possible to do? In previous version of FM it was not a big deal, there where many fonts and you just opened the XML-file of the skin and changed the font to what you wanted. Now the only fonts I see beeing used is the 'vera font' ... and in the XML-file's of the skins is not more than this;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE propertylist SYSTEM "http://www.sigames.com/dtds/propertylist.dtd">

<!--

The commands in this file will override the defaults contained in settings.xml (fm2005/data direcrory)

Any of these commands can be taken from the settings.xml, edited and placed here to change the look for your skin

-->

<properties version="1.0">

<!-- skin details -->

<string id="name" value="Flex09"/> <!-- The name of the skin -->

<string id="author" value="SmurfDude"/> <!-- The author name -->

<string id="description" value=""/> <!-- Short description -->

<string id="version" value="1.0"/> <!-- The version number -->

<flags id="parent" value="fm2009"/>

<!--

Minimum game version this skin requires to be valid, and listed as an option in the list of skins .

This is used for two things:

- F irst of all you can force a sking to only be availble for a minimum minor release (ie patch), in other words

setting the required_version to 7.0.1 makes sure the skin won't be listed if the game is in version 7.0.0.

- Secondly, the first number ("major version") is used to decide which version the skin was designed for,

so if the version is "7.0.0" it won't be listed in the list of skins if the game version is "6.0.0." or "8.0.0",

even though 7 is less than 8.

-->

<string id="required_version" value="9.0.0" />

<!-- font settings -->

<list id="font_settings">

<record>

<flags id="font" value="vera" />

<!-- bold modifiers (modifies the base bold value for bold text) -->

<record id="bold">

<real id="horizontal" value="2.0" />

<real id="vertical" value="2.0" />

</record>

<record id="semi_bold">

<real id="horizontal" value="1.0" />

<real id="vertical" value="1.0" />

</record>

<record id="light_bold">

<real id="horizontal" value="0.5" />

<real id="vertical" value="0.5" />

</record>

<record id="very_light_bold">

<real id="horizontal" value="0.3" />

<real id="vertical" value="0.3" />

</record>

<record id="plain">

<real id="horizontal" value="0.5" />

<real id="vertical" value="0.5" />

</record>

</record>

</list>

</properties>

So if some-one could explain to me how this is done I would be very thankfull for that :)

The settings.xml file within the settings folder controls the style of font used in most places - you can edit that file to use a different font, size or style for the menus, titles, text etc...

Though for some text the font and style and size is declared in the xml file that displays that text.

To use different fonts you just need to copy the font you want into the fonts folder for the skin you are using and then reference the font by filename in the xml files.

hi i was going to make a new thread for my question but thought that id ask in here does anyone know how to change the text font for in the text boxes where you would type like the press conferences answers and the search boxes. because i don't like the white text as it is sometimes difficult to see what i am writing. also if anyone does know how to do this could they please explain very simply as im not very good at altering xml files. thanks for any responses.

The settings.xml file within the settings folder controls the style of font used in most places - you can edit that file to use a different font, size or style for the menus, titles, text etc...

Though for some text the font and style and size is declared in the xml file that displays that text.

To use different fonts you just need to copy the font you want into the fonts folder for the skin you are using and then reference the font by filename in the xml files.

Thanks for the answer. Only when I look in the XML file, I see both fonts are named as 'Vera' yet in the game the seem to be different in each skin. How can that be?

Archived