True Football - entering management.

SJFunk

Before reading, I'd disclaim that all details of the manager are ficticious with international caps generated by football manager... I'd also like to point out due to recent problems with my actual own net and laptop, I've had to revert to the original game, with no upgrades for the basis of this game. I've created myself as a manger and started unemployed with English leagues available including blue square north/south and Scotland to third division. Reason for doing so is to try and replicate my feat of taking over at wolves in January 09 on a previous game which I've lost. In which I managed to turn the club around with one one signing in January from 12th to league champions... I hope to repeat this or similar and keep updating the story as I go along. I hope you enjoy.

-Prelude -

This is my story, from the moment I returned to football but only into management...

I am of course Simon J. Funk, a former midfield dynamo in my playing days... Born in Sunderland in the North East of England, with both my parents and my siblings being stern Sunderland AFC supporters, I myself, was the black sheep of the family when it came to footballing teams, a stern supporter of the underdogs, wishing upon glory for all clubs in the lower leagues. Of course my favourite team by far is Hartlepool United; I remember growing up my dad trying to coax me into supporting Sunderland, but in fact going against him. I wasn't much of a black sheep in anything else apart from Football. I liked to play it as all young fans do. On the streets with my twin brother and our friends, to local Sunday league teams, even getting the glorious chance to play on the pitch at Victoria Park at half-time during one of the league games. All my life all I wanted to do was play professional football, like many young people did back then, even now they still do.

I had my dreams almost come true when at the mere age of 9 I was approached by a scout who kindly offered me the chance to play in the academy. I was all for it, even if the team was York City Football Club. I signed for York City's youth team and made my Youth team debut when I was 14, all I was thinking during my time at the Youths was four years, all I need to do is play my best and win over the management team at York City, within the next four years in order to secure a permanent deal. However my dream was temporarily demolirilized when I was released from York just over a year before my 18th. I was devastated, but I knew that I was a better midfielder than some of the lads that had been kept on at York, so I went back to my Sunday League team, for half a season before leaving them to play for Sunderland Nissan. After several matches I was approached by a scout, but I recognised the man as the scout who picked me up to play for York's Youth team, he introduced himself again and offered my a chance to play football at a professional level, but thoughts raced through my head, was he still at York or not, I missed this when he said it at first, whether it was due to me not willing to talk to him because of the bad feelings that was left during my departure or whether it was due to the tiredness of playing a cup match of 120minutes and ending up losing on penalties with me not getting the chance to take mine. I asked him who he was representing again, to which he replied Darlington..... I was confused at the time, I asked if I could go take a quick shower and change to think and I'll meet him in the bar upstairs afterwards, to which he agreed. I went to the changing room to think, but I was in two minds. Do I go for it with the chance to play professional football or do I pass it over and keep my dignity with my ties to my boyhood team Hartlepool. I showered changed and made my way up to the bar and ordered a drink, a diet coke. For all, the barman there knew I was only sixteen, he was willing to allow me to order alcohol beverages but to which I would always politely refuse, being one to keep myself in the best shape I could, although you would not think by the stuff I would eat. But a coke would suffice me until I would go home. I found the scout, sipping down a pint of beer. He was interesting in seeing me to hear my response, to which I kindly refused the offer and gave my reasoning. Yes you may think that was a stupid mistake and up until three weeks before my 17th, December 8th 1994; I was given the opportunity to play for the Hartlepool reserve team... My dream was coming true, especially considering only after four games I was handed a professional contract by the club. At last I had made it, I was now a professional footballer.

I enjoyed a good career in football, playing for Hartlepool for 4 seasons till I was 21, then moved to Sunderland for a few seasons to my families enjoyment, I only spent 2 seasons at Roker Park, before moving to Blackburn, it was here I made my name in football and won my first international cap. To which I went on to make a grand total of 55caps, in which I managed to score 16 goals, all for England, my country of birth and upbringing. However my career was very short lived, in 2006, my career was ended at the age of 28. I was involved in a horrible collision while playing in Europe while playing in my first season with Spanish club Sevilla after an 11million pound move away from Ewood Park. I was playing in I believe to have been the quarter finals when I broke both my fibula bone in two places, which after two operations was fixed with bolts. I would never be able to play football again, even at a Sunday League standard. However I did still manage to succeed in winning a winners medal for the Euro Cup when Sevilla defeated Middlesbrough in the final, even though I could never play my manager announced I would be one of the substitutes so that I would gain a medal if we won or came runners up. The end of the season I made it official that I would never be able to play again, and officially retired from football altogether and return to my home which I had bought in Durham.

- Chapter 1 -

Tuesday 8th July 2008....

The urge for football again was such a pull after my retirement that the whole of last season I was sitting alongside a fellow Hartlepool fan, Jeff Stelling, on the panel of Soccer Saturday. I enjoyed it especially when young Hartlepool star James Brown would score, or Hartlepool as a whole. But here I am today, Tuesday 8th July 2008, I am still available to work on the panel of Soccer Saturday, but for me that isn't enough. I want to be involved deeper within the world of football. I feel that it could be time for me to move up in the world and become a manager of a club, even if that means starting at one of the small teams, like a former team mate of mine during my loan spell to Wolverhampton Wanderers back in 2003 before my move to Sevilla, Paul Ince had done. Starting his managerial career at Macclesfield, and moving to MK Dons, before making it to the job seat of Blackburn Rovers. As I sit here looking into any available posts for managerial positions, there is two available, Farsley in the Blue Square North, and Montrose in the Scottish Third Division. I dunno about applying just yet, I may give it a few weeks or so before I make a final judgement on whether or not to allow myself into the position of applying for them.

......To Be Continued......

Tuesday 15th July 2008

It's fair to say, I'm still looking for a job as a manager of a football club, or something along similar lines of. I fixed myself some toast along with an evenly spread strawberry jam and a complimentary cup of tea in my large kitchen. I'd earned more than enough to keep going while playing football. I wasn't on some ridiculous wages as premier league stars such as Steven Gerrard and co are on. But I was given an audacious amount when I was playing. Enough for me to live without the prospect of work for the rest of my life. But it was the drag of time, the boredom of doing nothing but sit around and walk my dog. Television it's usual boring self, one can only watch so many episodes of Jeremy Kyle. But yet I still had to check it out this morning, another "scummy family feud" and more stories about blokes and their girlfriends cheating upon each other. Young people ruining their lives through drug addictions and having kids at such an early age. Same old stuff again. Bored I choose to read today’s papers, more importantly the sports news headlines. Nothing worth reading in the headlines, just confirmation of the extend of Fulham's loan signing of Mike Zonneveld from Dutch club PSV, today’s main news story is just rumours circulating linking Djimi Traoré with away from Portsmouth with Reading heading the list of clubs after the star, the other club mention is none other than one of England’s notorious clubs Leeds Utd, or Dirty Leeds, as one Tim Lovejoy used to call them.

Time to check online, I sit back in my leather clad computer chair open my Acer laptop and click it on, signing in using the added fingerprint scanner before loading the internet, checking about I've noticed the Farsley job has been taken by former Wimbledon player Steve Anthrobus. The Montrose job still on offer. Again, I choose not to submit my interest in this job, not that I don't like Montrose, but more to do with the fact I know little about the clubs in Scotland outside the Premier League north of the border.

With that out the way I look into Hartlepool, Manager Danny Wilson, has accepted two bids of £1k for Matty Robson, and is looking to use the same amount to bring in Chris Powel... In my own opinion that is stupid business, I'd rather have Robson than Powel in my side. Nothing against Chris, but he's kicking on now, older than me he is. Checking online its showing as 38.

Wednesday 16th July 2008

No news from me on the job front. Nothing showing either, the Montrose manager job has been filled by former Turkish international, Oguz Cetin... Although personally I've never heard of him, then again I think I've only come across a few players from Turkey I could name, mainly Tugay my former Blackburn team mate in my playing days.

The latest news from the papers is both not and then surprising... Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley announcing he could step down sooner rather than later according to BBC Sport, how accurate BBC is well everyone knows not much. Especially considering that the rumour is Ashley could relinquish control and allow another board member to take his place, oh how the Geordies will be wishing that would happen... Elsewhere Sunderland have completed the signing of 33year old Argentinean Julio Cruz from Inter in a £550K deal, although it may rise to £900k.

Wednesday 23rd July 2008

Nothing showing up for available manager jobs and still none for under-pressure, not surprising considering we are only in Friendly fixtures. News mainly for the Premier league, Stoke have completed the signing of 37 year old Mexican winger Gabriel Caballero for a fee short of £200k, Sunderland sign Chelsea's right back Paulo Ferreira on a seasons loan with a potential fee of £1.7m, another of my former clubs, Blackburn, have signed Argentinean Luciano Galletti from Olympiakos for £7.5mill, oh and money bags Man City have signed Russian Yury Zhirkov for around £11million. Along with those Javi Garcia has moved from Real Madrid to Tottenham on loan.

Wednesday 30th July 2008

Again still unemployed so to speak, I've been asked to return to Gillette Soccer Saturday for this up and coming season, of course I've agreed to do it under terms that I am not in a managerial job. Of course if such an occasion arises in which I'd be offered a job, then I'd be allowed to leave to take it up, like they would have a choice in the matter. Tottenham the only team to have signed anyone since, with their signing of Joao Moutinho. I wish I was as pricey as this kid back when I was 21, what an honour it must be, just hope spurs know what they are doing spending that much on the youngster. Got a call the other day from my good friend Jeff (Stelling) he was not too disheartened by the Pools' defeat at home even if it was 3-0. I tend to slightly agree with him, seeing as how it was against Portsmouth.

I think I'll have a quick break before the season starts, I've got to be back to do my first appearance of the season on GSS. I'm not sure who I'll be watching though, all I do know is that it's from the warmth and comfort ness of the studio. I'd rather do it there than in the freezing coldness of the stadium, especially considering I'd be not too involved in a game.

Thursday 14th August 2008

I'm back from my short holiday, disappointed by the display by Hartlepool at the weekend with a 2-0 defeat to Carlisle of all teams... Still I'll be getting ready to travel to the London studio for GSS on Saturday, still none the wiser to whom, I’ll be watching, I'm hoping for a good match to watch, and that Mers, has the boring game, don't fancy having him shouting in my ear too much. It would have been better if I'd been down pitchside, in the dug-outs of either side to the start of the premier league season, speaking of which, Man Utd won the charity shield again, comfortable win against Pompey 3-0. Can't remember the scores, although I didn't actually watch it. Not being much of a fan of either, not that either are good footballing teams, if they weren't they would not be in the Premier League. In United's case, the champions of Europe. At least I'll have the opportunity to watch the local Liverpool/Everton derby and then watch which ever match I'll get.

Saturday 16th August 2008.

It's just before kick-off time at 3pm... Liverpool already top of the league after a narrow 2-1 victory over Everton at Anfield Mascherano and Torres with Liverpools goals, Yakubu for Everton, one bad point for Liverpool Carragher was sent off in the match...

Although I'm pleased with the match I'm to watch, Newcastle's home tie against the reigning Champions Man Utd. But of course the usual boring chat goes before the games, Jeff asking us for our predictions of the matches... I'm bored just listening to Phil Thompson rambling of about the Fulham, West Ham match, and am almost asleep. My turn to predict the result.

Fulham Vs West Ham - I say a close draw

Hull Vs Bolton - I've got to call a Bolton away win, although, I'd be rooting for Hull City to win.

Middlesbrough Vs West Brom - I've got to go with Boro.

Newcastle Vs Man Utd - Smartly I comment on a Win for United... Only way I can be trumpt is a bore draw.

Portsmouth Vs. Chelsea - Away win

Wigan Vs Tottenham - Another Away win.

Half time came during the match, and I was thinking great, what a match I've got, the boring match out of the whole lot. I've already had Mers shouting in my ears three times, as Tottenham were pulling comfortably away from Wigan. Hopefully second half can be better. I prayed to hell it would be....

Fantastic, what a much better second half I thought to myself, finally I'd had something to shout in Merson's ear about, with Man Utd winning 2-0. Even more so the fact that everything went off on the 58 minute of the match, Man Utd winning a penalty, and in the same time Guthrie kicking Scholes in the process getting himself sent off, of course Rooney completed with scoring in the game... Thankfully the only other shout from Merson was a sending off in his game, which added to the rest, five in total for the first day of the premier league... The referees were standing for nothing.

Saturday 23rd August 2008

No job openings yet still being so early in the season, I was again sat in between Paul Merson and Phil Thompson, I'm sure they are doing this seating on purpose to annoy me. Although this time, I was to watch a former club, well that's what I was told, I thought Blackburn, but I was mistaken. I was set to watch Sunderland against Wigan. Again I gave my thoughts of what I thought would be predictions. I was actually looking forward to the Sunderland match in a way, see how Roy Keane would get his team to bounce back after their 4-2 defeat at the Emirates the week before.

Half-time came around, and I was glad, that it was me who was first to shout not of all but on the panel. Sunderland struck with Grant Leadbitter and Palacios with an equaliser, and I was also happy that Mers or Big Nose was watching the Everton against Portsmouth match, especially being 3-1 in favour of the toffees by half time. Merson who was watching Blackburn Fulham, had nothing to report home about, still goalless there, and still all-square at Upton Park as Thompson watched West Ham battle Liverpool.

Bah humbug... Why could the same be as the first half, both Merson and Thompson wouldn't stop shouting in the second half, even though Blackburn and Fulham ended one all, but Liverpool trounced West Ham in the second half three nil. Only major happening in the second half of the Sunderland match was Lee Cattermole's sending off. Off home for another long week, before having to sit next to the two ugliest, loudest and boring people on the planet.... It's good watching them at home when they shout, but when they explain goals and their points of view, they almost put me to sleep. At least it’s not all bad of the show, good old Charlie and Jeff keep things entertaining.

Saturday 30th August 2008

Still no jobs, none even looking like becoming available soon... I was sat again next to Paul Merson and Big Nose... Merson watching Arsenal, Phil watching Liverpool even though they were against Liverpool... Me I got to watch Newcastle against Everton. GREAT!!!

Newcastle a team who lost their opening games 2-0 against Everton who won one lost one so far... Oh good looks like a draw...Perfect!

First half gone, I wanted to go home, Merson shouted four times as Arsenal struck a 3-1 advantage and Big Nose, snorted once when Robbie Keane scored. Me I was almost falling asleep, there wasn't even a sniff of a goal-scoring chance... Maybe it was stuck up Phil's nose... It wasn't going to plan, even the Pools were getting beat again, this time one-nil at home to Crewe.

---

Finally full time reached, by which time I was almost taking my first to shove down Mers' thought, I was getting a bad head, 5-1 it ended at the Emirates. 1-0 at St. James Park to Newcastle, at least I saw a goal, and had good news from Anfield as Pederson equalised, that was about it. Hartlepool had gone down 3-0 at home... Another fantastic weekend I thought.

Instead of stopping in London that night as I always did, I drove all the way home, I wasn't as much aching from Merson's constant shouting as I was bored with present on GSS. Don't get me wrong it's not boring, but it is nothing compared to being actually on the pitch or even sat in the dug-out as a Substitute. Now all I wanted was to see what it's like from a staff point of view. Maybe soon I'd get that chance to see. But as it was, my week was looking like it was to go as the past three had gone, sitting in between Paul Merson and Phil Thompson. I'd checked to see if anyone was under-pressure in England, but nope, not a single manager, then again it was only three/four matches into the season, the time would come when there would be some.

Wednesday 3rd September 2008

I decided to go to the Hartlepool game, it was the second round of the league cup, but it was a chance in a life-time for Pools, as they went head to head against Premier league's Moneychester City or Manchester City as they are perfectionately called. I was hoping for the upset but could not see it happening.

By half time, I myself wanted to have a go at the referee for his poor decision making... Everything went in favour of City... From the dodgy looking dive by the Brazilian flop from Madrid Robinho which allowed a Elano freekick to be headed home by Ireland, although I couldn't find anything wrong with Elano's strike which was a good strike, but two players had been booked for petty things for the Pools, but the player who should have had at least a yellow for a dangerous tackle on Brown which injured him, only got a warning. A two footed tackle only gets a warning, absolutely disgraceful. Then again, I've never been a big fan of Lee Probert, he's always been the same in Premier League verse lower club ties.

The second half was a better display by Pools, but still couldn't find a way back into the game, a good display ruined by the referee in my opinion. But then it always happens, referee's always give the decisions in favour of the big clubs, no matter how the fans see it, and you can guarantee the big clubs fans don't see it that way. Until they play Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal. Even the reporters thought the referee seemed bias towards City. Can't fault their eye sight can you?!

Saturday 6th September 2008.

England against Andorra in the World Cup Qualifying. An away trip for England, one to which I was in attendance, being asked to be a studio guest for the match along with Jamie Redknapp.

Although I was more then a little p'd off when I saw the team sheet, Lampard and Gerrard Starting... God everybody knows they can’t work together, and to make things worse that little ****** Joey Barton was starting, the man who should not be playing professional football never mind representing England. Joe Hart in goal, a little surprise but one I was happy at, good to give the kid a break at International football and less likely to make a mistake like that of either David James or Paul Robinson, who are known to make them. Ashley Young also in the starting line-up. Interesting team sheet to say the least.

As Half time came, everybody watching would have been thinking the same, what a load of old rubbish. one-nil up at half time, Carrick scoring after 10minutes, Joey Barton being warned about foul play at least twice, and a mix up from Terry and Ferdinand leading to a good rescuing save from young Hart. I wanted to go into the English dressing room and rip them all a new one myself, but I have to leave it to Fabio, that's if he can even swear in English.

The second half was more entertaining, Gerrard and Lampard actually combined to score England’s second, only after Andorra hit the bar, not long after that though, Andorra scored from a free kick, a scare for England, but a Rooney goal from a break settled England, and the scoring ended by Ashley Cole, from the Penalty spot barely, even I disagree with the penalty decision though.

Wednesday 10th September 2008

Again in the studio as England play, this time away to Croatia. A game I could see England struggling with if they performed as shoddy as they did against Andorra.

As Half time came around, England must be thinking their players haven't turned up, all except Joe Hart, who came to the rescue on at least four or five occasions to deny the Croats. I fully expected more of the same in the second half, and remember saying it would only be a matter of time before Croatia actually scored.

The second half started where the first had ended, with Croatia on top with Joe Hart rescuing England's blushes again, but it was only a matter of time... and Ivica Olic scored with 20minutes left to give Croatia the lead. Drastic changes were made, Lescott, Barry and Walcott all came on and it was Barry who saved England’s bacon with a good strike three minutes into injury time.

More good news came through, as my beloved Pools, finally won a game (Which didn't go to penalties like the league cup first round match against Carlisle). Joel Porter scores both in a two-nil win against Stockport.

Sunday 14th September 2008

I was no longer making appearances on GSS, but now I'd become a pundit for Sky Sports, today I was as the Stadium of Light, for Sunderland's home game against Aston Villa. Earlier in the day, Tottenham defeated Fulham 2-0 in the half one kick off, now it was the four o'clock game

What a game it was, Sunderland ran out 5-1 victors with Djibril Cissé scoring his first goal for Sunderland before getting a hat-trick, Milner got a consolation goal for Villa but then had Laursen sent off for a professional foul. The result at least would life Sunderland off the bottom of the table. In fact the result lifted them into 9th place.

Saturday 4th October 2008

After several weeks of GSS and Sunday Football specials, I was begging to get bored, but this day, news hit my laptop at home at 8:45pm Crystal Palace had sacked Neil Warnock... Although Ian Holloway was favourite to get the position, other people had been named on the list - Joe Royle, John Gregory and Peter Reid. All of which have more experience as a manager than I have... But this still may be a chance into football for me, I thought I'd leave it till the Monday and if not taken then I'd apply, but it could prove costly, but I've got plenty of time to waste so my decision was not to be hasty and look desperate.

Tuesday 7th October 2008

My decision to wait could have been a costly one, as one Tuesday Morning, Dave Jones was appointed manager of Crystal Palace... Oh well, he's left Cardiff, who are now looking for a manager, maybe they will be a good choice, at the same time, Alex McLeish and Jim Magilton were both under pressure to start getting results. I'd wait and see if Cardiff would like me to be manager though.

Wednesday 8th October 2008.

News reached me that Sean O'Driscoll was appointed as Cardiff's manager, I felt sad in a way that I was not chosen, but I'm sure there would be more opportunities to come. Even more so now that the Doncaster Job was open with the departure of O'Driscoll.

Thursday 9th October 2008.

I woke up early as always, went for a long stroll with my dog and got back to find my home phone ringing. I managed to get there just in time... Thinking that it would be someone from Sky Sports asking if I was available for tomorrow or Sunday to which I was ready to reply with the usual, it was money after all.

"Hello?" I answered expecting one of three of the usual people from Sky.

"Hi, Simon, this is John Ryan, Chairman of Doncaster Rovers. I was wondering if we could meet at The Keepmoat Stadium tomorrow to discuss the possibility of you becoming my new manager."

The voice I heard sounded distant with a little noise in the background, I thought at first that this was just my brother playing a prank on me like he did on Tuesday about the Crystal Palace Job. But I agreed to it just in the off chance.

Friday 10th 2008.

I'd made the long journey to Doncaster, and arrived at The Keepmoat Stadium, with 10minutes to spare before my so called interview with the chairman. I walked in the entrance and into the lobby straight up to the front desk.

"Hello, how can I help?" A young blonde girl was working on reception asked looking at me.

"I'm here to see Mr. Ryan, the Chairman."

"Can I ask your name sir?" I thought that my appearances on Sky Sports and for England a few years back wouldn't need this question, but I answered politely.

"I'm Simon Funk, I got a phone call yesterday about a meeting to arrange today."

The girl looked at her book before picking up the phone and dialling an extension number.

"A Mr. Funk here to see you Sir. Says you arranged the meeting yesterday."

"Mmhmm. Okay, I'll send him up now."

The girl replaced the phone and looked at me, I thought that this was going to be some big prank, but at least the Chairman would fill me in on a little mis-understanding.

"Mr. Ryan can see you in his office, second floor just look for the office of Chairman."

I thanked her and took the stairs, I made it to the Chairman's office and knocked on the door.

"Come in" boomed the voice from inside.

As I entered Mr. Ryan was sitting in his seat, looking up from his papers he stood up and shook my hand, before offering me a seat.

"Thanks for coming Simon. As you know we lost our previous manager to Cardiff this past week and I'd like to offer you a contract to become the new manager."

I was taken back, this wasn't a joke but the real thing. Maybe my break into management has finally come.

"Unfortunately, the money is tight at the club recently especially with the current situation throughout the UK. But I'd be willing to offer you a contract for £2,400 per week. I'd like to sign you on a contract for an innitial period till the end of the season, on which dependent upon the direction you have taken the club, I'd like to negotiate a new contract then."

"I'd be happy to accept the offer."

It wasn't a great offer and a come down on wages that I would have earned by doing the season as a Pundit for Sky, but then again, Sky wasn't going to give me the excitement of management.

John Ryan handed me the official contract paper work, and I looked over it. Not that I didn't trust the man, but it's just something I have always done with contracts, even in my playing days. I signed the deal which would commence immediately.

1300hrs. 1pm to everyone.

After a while waiting to hear back from the Football Association that the contract had become official, John finally officially welcomed me to Doncaster Rovers.

After a quick tour I was shown my office, it was pretty bland with the team photo of the season upon the wall and pale walls, It wasn't anything special but then nothing that would be uncomfortable. There was a hot water machine on the left hand side on a bench with a small fridge next to it. A new unwrapped Doncaster Rovers Mug close to it with a tray of tea and coffee. No Hot chocolate though, I noticed. I walked up to the fridge to open, no milk either. Too bad. I made my way to my desk and took the seat behind it. Finally I knew what it felt to sit the managers office at this side of the desk. A few minutes passed as I waited for the Chairman to come back from his meetings and give me my password for the computer and introduce the who was to be my Assistant Manager.

A knock came at the door, before I could even say anything John Ryan came in.

"Hello again. I've just got back, Richard your assistant should be here soon. but first I'd give you a little background information about the club.

It was founded in 1879. And we play our games here at The Keepmoat Stadium, and we possess good training facilities. Of course Doncaster are affectionately known as The Rovers and we maintain a fierce rivalry with Rotherham, Barnsley and Scunthorpe. Our most successful spell as a club has been in the 60's but our last competition win was back in 2007, winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy."

Just as he finished the brief background, which anyone could check online, although it's nice to be formally introduced to the club by the Chairman himself. But there was another knock at the door. The door opened and in popped the assistant Manager Richard O'Kelly. We formally introduced by the chairman to each other and he said he had to get some important stuff done and he thanked me for become the new manager.

"Welcome to Keepmoat." Richard said. "I've got to say, that I myself as Assistant manager, that I am pleased with the amount of depth to our squad, and I am confident that the players we have are capable of achieving what is required of them. Despite possessing a strong team, I still feel that our weakest position is in goal. I've comprised a small list of three potential solutions to our problem area.

Ian Walker, Bolton's 36 year old Veteran, he's currently valued at £110k

Jason Brown, Blackburn's 26 year old Welshman who's currently valued at £1.3million and

Darren Ward, Sunderland’s 34 year old Welshman who is currently valued at £230K.

I've also in addition instructed the backroom staff to compile comprehensive reports on each member of the squad if you require them. Also I believe that Jos Van Nieuwstadt to be one of the best players in the team at the moment and I've picked his coach report for you to have a look at."

Richard handed the report over to me. I opened the file already impressed by my assistants thoroughness.

"Thanks Richy, you don't mind me calling you that do you?"

"Not at all."

"So what's first for me to do?"

"Well since your a new manager you need to pick captain and vice-captain for the season. Currently Adam Lockwood is the captain with Brian Stock as Vice-captain."

"Ok then, they will remain as they are for this season, and if I see fit I will change at a later point, that will need to be made clear to both parties."

"I'll make sure they know. Now of course there is some bad things to announce. We have currentyl got five players injured, these are James Coppinger, James Hayter, Gareth Taylor, John Spicer and Brian Stock. Stuart Ellitot is currently on international duty with Northern Ireland, and both Matt Mills and Sean McDaid are currently suspended. Van Nieuwstadt is also one yellow card away from suspension too."

"Ok, that should be no problems with the depth of the squad going off your calculations. What about the staff?"

"There's me of course, Andy Bonser is the current and only main coach at the club, Lee Butler is the goalkeeper coach, with Paul Wilson and Paul Stancliffe being our youth coaches. John Dickens is our club physio and Mike Corderoy and Jeff Baskerville our scouts. Mike being the head scout."

"Right, that will suffice for now, I'll possibly look to add to that."

"Now, we have a match tomorrow away at Blackpool, do you want to be taken a keen interest in this game or will you be watching from the stands, it is short notice at this point for you to make the team choice not seeing any of the previous matches."

"Yeah, I'll let you choose the squad for tomorrows game. I'll watch from the stands, and see how things go from their. Also if you could, I'd like to speak with Mike Corderoy."

"Here, this has every staff and players phone numbers in, Mike should be in there. I believe Jeff is going to start scouting the next opposition for you, while Jeff will be making the key scouting assignments, but your best bet would be to talk to him."

"Thanks."

We both shook hands before Richard left the office, I got out my phone and looked through the book till I reach the number for Mike Corderoy. Of course no answer, but I left a message asking for him to call me back. I'll starting being hands on from Monday. Even though, both John Ryan and Richard failed to mention the position of the club being down in 23rd place.

Saturday 11th October 2008.

Today I had to meet the media at The Keepmoat Stadium, as arranged by The Press office. Among the media present were representatives from Football365.com, BBC Radio 5 live, skysports,com, sportinglife.com and The Observer.

The journalist from Football365,com asked the first question.

"You sit here as the new manager of Doncaster. Is this your dream job?"

I ponder the question, cause it isn't really. But then again I wasn't going to knock it straight away.

"I am pleased to have the chance to work here." Is my reply, calm and steady, I've handled press before so it's quite an easy thing to do. Of course it's different set of questions and responsibilities.

"What is your overall approach to the tactical side of the game?" Gutsy question from the BBC Radio 5 live reporter.

"I think it would be careless discussing tactics." Its the easiest response I'm likely going to be able to give. I don't want to give things away.

Another question came from Football365.com journalist.

"Handling your players effectively is a key part of the job. What will you be bringing to the man management side of the game?"

Tough question I though, but I had the answer I'd think would be best from my side of things.

"I may occasionally get involved but by and large there needs to be a degree of trust."

"How involved do you intend to be in the day-to-day running of the club?" Came the question from Jerry Nicholas the man who I knew from skysports.com

"I like to be involved as much as time allows me to be." Is my simple response.

"New managers often bring about times of change and upheavel and some might fear for their jobs. Will there be changes?" Came the first question from the journalist from Sportinglife.com

"The players and still will all have a chance to prove that they are worthy of the club. But I will be looking to bring in a couple of new faces to spruce things up."

"Saying that, people are wondering how you'll go about certain facets of your job. What can we expect in the transfer market?" A good question picking up my last comment, and believe it or not came from the BBC Sport journalist.

"I am only interested in signing the very best players available to the club. I will be making thorough judgement calls before making any decisions regarding possible transfers."

"You have taken charge of Doncaster at a time when it is expected that Richie Wellens may be leaving the club. Do you think you have an uphill struggle to keep him?" - The Observer posts its first question.

"I am not sure I agree with that to be honest. Although it an offer comes in then I will look into the matter further then."

The press officer concludes the conference. Although I honestly thought I was on a role, but I'm not sure. After exiting the conference, I am advised that my squad should react well with my handling of the questions, but only time will tell, and I've got to get back to things, especially if I want to catch the England match, seeing as how in his urgency to get things organised Richard O'Kelly got our match dates wrong.

Tuesday 14th October 2008.

My first training session went well and I managed to meet the players and the other staff. I've a meeting tomorrow with our head scout. But before that, look seems to be with the new manager as Welsh striker Gareth Taylor has recovered from his injury after being out for two weeks. But I've got to get down to full on business, sorting out the goalkeeper malarkey.

Neil Sullivan is the current number one at the club, and I must admit, I've not been the guys biggest fan before now. I'll take Richy's advice and look to sign a new one on temporary basis for this season and then build from there. Maybe another striker too, just add a little competition.

First though is goalkeeper. Darren Ward is the one of the list of three that Richy gave me that stood out. I liked his performance the season Sunderland won promotion to the premier league. He would be a good choice. I logged on the computer and sent an email to Roy Keane. That sent, I looked at the possibility of not being able to get Darren on loan, I looked for further available choices.

Wednesday 15th October 2008

Finally I met with Mike Corderoy, the head scout. I asked him whether he would be able to go and search for possible signings and look into Scotland, I myself will be keeping an eye out on England, what with Match of The Day, for the premier league and the Championship on the Sunday morning. Yes I know I'm pretty naive when it comes to this management milarky, but I'm determined to make a real hard go at it, and of course most importantly enjoy my time here. Who knows what will happen.

Also I've received three emails from teams. First I look at is from Roy Keane's secretary, my loan bid for the services of Michael Chopra has been accepted and its down to the player if he would like to join our club. That's good news.

The second from old mate of mine Paul Ince. Advising that he would actually settle for the cut price of £320k to secure the services of Jason Brown. Sounds like a bargain to me, I'll just about bite Da' Guvna's hands off on this one.

The third from Tony Pulis. My bid for Ricardo Fuller has been refused due to his first team commitments to Stoke... Oh well not to worry.. I've got a few more interests lined up anyways.

-

Just as I'm packing up to go home for the night to my rented apartment in Doncaster.. An email pops up, from Sunderland, Roy Keane's secretary to inform me my loan offer for Darren Ward has been accepted. Great news, that’s two potential loan signings both from Sunderland. Both players I feel could do well for us in the Championship.

Thursday 16th October 2008.

Ahh I remember the milk this morning, and as I await for my computer to boot-up I make myself a nice cup of tea. I don't like coffee. I walk back to the desk and place my new mug, "The Mug's Guide to Boobs" Mug, which I've brought from home, on the desk, instantly there is a couple of messages. First is from my good friend Paul Ince. My offer to take Veteran Robbie Fowler on a 4week trial has been accepted, as has the bid for Jason Brown. The message stating that Browns agent should be here today, oh Christ that’s short notice aint it… Well I suppose that's the way management works. I better prepare for the meeting.... Just get through the other email from Hearts.... My loan bid for Christian Nadé has been declined, again due to first team commitments, but when I checked he was in the reserves, that’s great..

Five minutes go by and my own secretary, a young 26 year old good looking brunette called Amy pops her head into my office.

"There's a football agent by the name of Chris Jones here to see you about one of his clients."

"Let him in please."

With that she does exactly as I ask. At least someone is listening to me anyway. So a few offers have been declined, but this is a chance to make my first permanent signing for Doncaster. I rise to my feet as Chris Jones walks in carrying a brief-case. We formally shake hands and I offer him the seat opposite to mine. I offer a cup of tea or coffee, explaining that there's unfortunately no hot chocolate or Bovril. He politely declined wishing to get to business. Seems like he's in a rush if you ask me, but I do not want to balls this up.

"OK, so your interested in signing my client. Now my client is willing to drop down a league to join but is looking for the following terms."

He hands me a sheet of official paper which states the request, but its not needed as he starts to state the same thing.

"My Client wants a basic salary of £3000 per week on a four year deal. In addition to that he would like a signing on fee of £10,000. Also required would be Appearance fee of £300, a clean sheet bonus of £900, a relegation release clause of £750,000, a promotion wage increase of 25% and he is willing to include a wage deduction of 25% in case of relegation."

"Do you mind if I take a few minutes to work things through?"

"Not at all, but those are the contract terms for my client, which are to be met with."

Not bad these negotiations, they fit within the budget for wages, just about. And they guy is looking to take a wage decrease of £1,000 per week to join us... They seem decent enough, to allow me to agree the terms set out.

"Ok, Mr. Jones, I'll be willing to offer your client a deal on these exact terms. I will get my secretary to get the paper work and fax to yourself, as proof to you client. We will be looking forward to a response and actually meeting personally with him too."

"Thanks for your time. I will take the official document and discuss further with my client, and we will be back in touch as soon as we come to a decision."

"Thank you."

I shake his hand again and lead him out of my office and advise my secretary of the deal and to write it up on official Doncaster letter head, before returning to my office. That's that done. Now what? Ah yes off to the training ground.

Friday 17th October 2008

Newspaper and websites from the bookies are putting Blackpool as favourites for the clash, hard to argue, they are above us in the table, and we have suffered three back to back defeats, but that was before I came here, surely we can at least get something from the game... A good performance maybe, I've got to talk with Richy over squad selection, but that will have to wait, thank you press office, yet another Press conference I've to attend, although I could send Richy to it, but I'll think I'll take care of this one.

Two media pundits here this time, one from "The Star Green Un" and the other Jason Walters from "The Star, Doncaster."

The Star Green Un Journalist has the first question.

"Who do you think will win the Coca-Cola Championship title this season?"

What a stupid question, unless I can work miracles it wont be Doncaster and therefore I don’t really care too much who wins. I'm determined to say we will just as sarcasm, it wont go down well though, even though I've always been known for it in my post match interviews before, but that was as a player. Now I'm a manager. It's simply going to have to be...

"No Comment."

Same guy asks the next one.

"Do you think a lack of match practice could affect your team after fourteen days without a fixture?"

"It could be a massive confidence boost for the whole team. With me coming in now, and having more time to get things straight with the players I have here with the extended period of getting to know each other."

"Relegation rivals Coventry are also in action against Wolves, and they will want to show that they can avoid the drop this season. What chance do you think they have of staying up?"

Again like I care, I'm not at that club, I'm here at Doncaster, and while I am, my ties lie with this club. Not that I'm going to out right say that.

"I don't have anything to say about Coventry. I'm wanting to concetrate fully on Doncaster." Its easy to answer.

Jason Walters finally asks a question..

"Relegation rivals Swansea are also in action against Derby and they will want to show that they can avoid the drop this season too. What do you think of their chances in this match?"

Do these guys listen?

"I really don't have anything to say about the Swansea match." I cant be arsed with any further comment to this. These guys are boring me with this type of question.

The Star Green Un journalist again.

"Heading into this match it has been suggested that you may be adopting a defensive approach in order to avoid defeat. How will you approach this game?"

The guy wasn't their in my first conference, cut him slack, I tell myself as this is just stupid questioning.

"I don't want to give any indication as to our tactical approach." Simple enough answer don't you think.

Jason steps forward again. Literally. I don't know why he does that when he asks a question.

"Preparation is everything in football these days and you may feel you know what to expect from Blackpool. Can you see them employing any tactical surprises?"

Yeah, they are gonna play with 10 keepers and a forward. Meanwhile, I'll be on the bench for Doncaster... Well at least that part wont be untrue in a sense.

"I don't think there's a debate to be had over whether one team will surprise the other or not." I have to got for simple answers, don't really want to nark people off..... Well just yet anyway, maybe later.

"Gary Taylor-Fletcher has been pinpointed as a possible threat to the Doncaster defence in the forthcoming match. Do you agree with that assessment?"

It's safe to say I aint done much homework on the teams in this league. I follow the premier league and Hartlepool before. Now I've got to start to take notes about teams in the Championship. This guy, I honestly don't know much about. I'll keep it sweet.

"I don't have an opinion one way or another." That should do, if he is a good threat, I'll address that with Richy later today. As of now it's time to head back to the office, now the press conference is finished. Before I go Kevin Wilcox the press manager - so he does have a name rather than just The Press Officer. He let's me know that he thinks the Doncaster squad should react well to my handling of the questions. Well if this guy is wrong, I'll ring his neck sometime.

-

A knock at the door awakens me from my dream, a day dream eyes open, no-one would have noticed, unless I was on a bus and went the full route. The door opens and yes it's that man, Richy. My assistant manager comes to discuss the team. He hands me a peice of paper, looks officially crap. Plain paper with his advice on team selection.

Play a 4-3-1-2 formation... The hell with that I think. It's not worked for Doncaster in the last three games they played. I'll make it simple, a good old 4-4-2. I'll build from there.

"Sorry Richy, but I'm not going with the same tactics as the previous manager, the team will have to work at my order, it's got to be a simple 4-4-2 for this game, and then I'll build from there."

"Your the boss"

"So who can you recommend for the team in that specific mind set of 4-4-2."

"Well Ben Smith should be given the chance in goal, I feel Neil hasn't played well and is suffering in his confidence.

James O'Connor at right back, Gareth Roberts left with Jos in the middle with Sam Hird.

Jason Price on the right of the midfield with Stuart Elliott left, middle has to be Woods and Wellens, with Lewis Guy and Paul Heffernen as the strikers.

Subs got to have Neil as the sub keeper, Adam Lockwood, Mark Wilson, Darren Byfield and James Chambers."

"Good assessment Richy, those are probably the best from training anyway, lets hope it works, although, I'm not sure if leaving Gareth Taylor out of the squad would be good. He's another striker, and I've always found it's useful to have two substitute strikers."

"Your the boss, but who would you leave out?"

"Chambers will be left out this week. After that we'll see."

Saturday 18th October 2008

Lucky me remembered to bring my laptop with me, although now I wish I never, Roy Keane's assistant has sent me another email regarding Darren Ward. He's not willing to come to Doncaster on loan.. Well that's ballsed up that plan to have him play. At least the report from my Youth team coaches is better, but then again is mixed in reactions, as they've pulled out a 1-0 win. But it is over my favourite club Hartlepool. Football's, football though. These things happen.

--

Its almost time for my first game as a manager to start. Time for a last minute pep talk for my players. It's easy in these cases to leave it to Richy, but this game has to be hands on from me I feel.

"Right lads, this is it. It's time to change the fortunes of this club and for the better. Blackpool are expecting an easy win today. Especially as it's at home for them. Now that doesn't mean the pressure is on us to make it hard, the pressure is off us. No-one is expecting anything from us today. So you can relax and play football. They have got the pressure of having to make the game look easy for them. That's not going to happen.

I suppose what I'm saying lads, to simplify it is, you can win today."

--

It's all going to plan, could I really have change the fortunes of the outcome of today’s game. Two minutes in Paul Heffernan, a man who has been on a recent goal draught scores. Then he doubles his tally and ours four minutes later. It gets better, Richie Wellens slots home a rebound on 30minutes to make it three. Although that man the press guys said managed to set up a goal for Blackpool scored by Steven Kabba.. Not to worry we still have the lead at half-time. Not bad considering things. However I need to now think of something to keep the lads going and make sure we get this game back and keep it going to secure the win. Of course I've got to mention to the lads that I'm pleased with the performance so far, to come away from home after three consecutive defeats and got 3-1 up is good. Lets hope the lads take note and carry on their performance into the second half, that’s all I can ask of them.

The second half doesn't go as planned, Blackpool seemed to be the better side, and perhaps may deserve something out of the game. But thankfully my guys showed resolve and held out. Only a goal in injury time gave us a scare, even though I can't see where the hell the referee got four added minutes when there wasn't an injury or a goal till the third minute of injury time.. Although spirits are good within the camp. I let them know that it's a good result too.

Blackpool 2 - 3 Doncaster

Heffernan (2)

Wellens (1)

MOTM (Heffernan)

Unfortunately checking my net on the way back to Doncaster on my laptop, we haven't moved up a place, and the only bad thing is that the team are conceding goals. That's not good. The spirits are high on the coach trip back, I'm happy too, my first match as a manager has gone all to plan. Now to get someone alongside The Heff up front, and probably get in another defender to strength it up would be the best bet. I'll have a word with the scouts and possibly Richy on Monday, as for now I'll let them relax and enjoy what is only their second win of the season.

-

The coach reaches "The Keepmoat Stadium" just before seven, I send the players home congratulating them on their win. Richy congratulates me and asks if I'd like to go for a drink. Not that I drink anyway but nice offer. I kindly refuse and head up to the office for a few minutes, only when I get there I am met by my secretary Amy.

"Mr. Funk, I'm glad your back, you've a visitor, well two in your office right now, they said it's very important, I'm glad you came up, your phone is off."

"Dead battery."

I enter my office and find that Chris Jones is standing along with Jason Brown. This must be good news if Jason has come to the stadium.

"Mr. Jones, and Mr. Brown, what a nice surprise. Sorry bout the lateness coach only just got back."

"It's fine, and congratulations on gaining your first victory today. It must be nice."

"Thank you, and yes it is. Especially in my first game in charge, it's always nice. Now can I offer you a drink, coffee, tea? Unfortunately they still haven't bothered to but and damn hot chocolate in here or Bovril. I don't even like coffee."

"No thanks we're fine. We've come on official business. My client and I have discussed the contract offer from yourselves and find it quite substantial enough to allow this transfer to go ahead."

I'm almost taken away, finally my first signing for the club, and as a manager. Let's just hope it's a good one.

"That's great news, I'm glad we can actually use your services Jason."

Damn I don't have the contract wrote up. I wasn't expecting this, but I can have it done.

"I'll just get Amy to draught up the contract now, and we can get this deal done."

I leave the two in the office, and let them know they can help themselves to tea and coffee, and milk is in the fridge.

"Amy, can you draw up the contract for Jason Brown, he's willing to sign."

"That's great, It'll be done in a few minutes, just need to print it out."

I return to the office and advise the pair of proceedings.

"While we wait, why don't I show you round the stadium."

After a short tour, we return to the office, and waiting on my desk is the contract, all it needs now is mine and Jason's signature on and its official. Damn Amy is very sufficient. I had it over to Jason's agent who reads through to make sure everything is in order, and then he hands it to Jason to sign. I sign it and shake hands with both men.

"Welcome to Doncaster Rovers Jason."

The pair leave and I had the contract to Amy asking her to send it to the F.A.

The only problem is, the transfer won't go through until January the 1st, which is a great shame. I forgot about the transfer window. and it's not likely that I'm going to get anyone in on loan either. Drats.

Sunday 19th October 2008

A boring Sunday, a lazy day, I don't even bother to got to the office, nothing important is going to be waiting. All I'm thinking about now is what a day yesterday was, a victory and a signed even if the signing wont go through till January. It's still a good deal. My worry though is the defence, it's not the tightest of defences. That’s the reason we are in 23rd and not at the top. My next three games are crucial games. Two away matches and one home. It's not the best of games to go into but at least we have got the win going into them. Bristol City away is next. They are currently lying in fifth, damn that’s a tough game. Then it's Wolves at home. They're in sixth, another very tough game. Then Birmingham away, that’s the icing on the cake, they're in 8th. The game after that I will have to deem a must win game. It's against Cardiff, a team that didn't want me as their manager, not surprising seeing as how I'm new. But they are in 18th 5places above us. That has to be a must win game. Especially now looking at the game after, Watford. They find themselves in third. That's fantastic. I've choose the greatest time to become Doncaster Manager. I hope it gets better after that....

Nope, no chance of that, the game after Watford is QPR.... Ohh they just happen to find themselves top. Damn you John Ryan. It's hard to get a start in management, but when you do, the last thing you want to do is in the first seven games is face five of the top eight teams in the league. But football is a funny old game, hopefully things will go my way even though I doubt it will. Yesterday was just a one off. Cheers to Football, you gotta love it.

Monday 20th October 2008

Didn't I say it wouldn't go to plan? Michael Chopra doesn't want to come on loan, well screw him then. Ohh good news, James O'Conner selected in the Coca-Cola Championship team of the week. Well done son. That’s fantastic.. Although got the betting in for my next match, yes you've guessed it Bristol City are favourite for the clash... Wait, but wasn't Blackpool... Again I'm the underdog’s manager... I'm starting to get the feel for this stuff hugely.

At least now we are within reach of Forrest who are only a point above us, and thankfully they play Birmingham in their next match. So it's possibly things will stay as they are between us.

Next email - Great an email from Robbie Fowler, he is happy enough to come to us on the trial. Fantastic it should help our strikers. Although I do feel another striker would be wonderful. A defender would be even better, oh wait Robbie will be up here tomorrow to report for training. That's better than I thought; I'll make sure Richy keeps an eye on his performances in training. I think he could do well to turn our season for the good.

-=-To Be Continued-=-

Tuesday 21st October 2008

Bristol City Vs Doncaster.

The travel was easy, a change of tactics for the match I thought, what with Bristol being in 5th. Go for a none standard tactic of 5-4-1-1. Club captain returns to the squad and Paul Heffernan up front on his own.

The game went much the way as expected, with Bristol on the front foot for most of the game. Playing counter attacking football we managed a couple of breaks, The Heff gaining a smart save from their keeper Tabasco as I come to call him, everything going to plan for the time, especially when "The Heff" Donny's own Hoff, but with an "e" managed to find the net on 37minutes. One nil. They had a few chances, and then the third official showed 6minutes added on time. WHAT? Where had that come from, I'd never know, there wasn't an injury to note, well there wasn't until the eighth minute of added on time, thats two added on from the actual 6 announced. "The Heff" on the receiving end of what I thought was a deliberate collision, on comes Byfield, lets hope his experience can be some sort of substitution with him on his own, with the help of a some what reluctant Wellens.. Only cause of the opposition.

Got to let the lads know its going good and to keep it up.

God no wonder some managers have had heart problems. We were very much under the cosh in the second half, in fact I can't even remember us getting too much into Bristol's half. But for another injury, this time to the former England under 21 international Mark Wilson. On comes, Chambers. Five minutes of injury time in this half, has this ref got it in for us? Maybe, but thankfully with some fantastic sharp saves by Benny Smith in goal and some vital interceptions and last ditch defending, especially from Gareth Roberts, we somehow held on, and managed to keep a clean sheet, first of the season for Donny I believe.

Bristol City 0 - 1 Doncaster.

MOTM - Gareth Roberts. Great defending, that and the Heff won us the three points in an upset.

On the coach trip back up to Doncaster, John Dickens, the club's physio came to me with some news on the two injured players as well as one who did pick up a knock, apparently.

"Just thought you'd like to know, Paul has sustained a bruised thigh during that strong challenge, He'll be out for about a week to two weeks."

Great that, just as we've got the worst run in coming, our striker who's just finding his form is to be missing for at least two matches.

"Also Mark's suffering from a facial injury, it doesn't seem that serious but he'll also be out for about a week to two weeks."

Mark who in honesty, has played the first game under me, seems to be going to missing, maybe I could revert to one of the original men in my plan, but we'll have to see.

"I've checked on Adam (Lockwood) he seems to have twisted his knee turning awkwardly during the match, it's more serious than that of Mark's and Pauls, he'll be out for 3weeks to a month."

"Thanks for the report."

Although thinking about it three players who played well are definitely missing for our home game this weekend.

After checking my laptop it seems, both Southampton and Notts Forest both lost their games, and we have moved out of the drop zone, we are now 21st. Fantastic. An upset against Bristol moves us 2 points clear of Forest. Hopefully we can battle well this weekend. Although it's Wolves next. Yes they are a good team and yes they got beat tonight, but then they were playing QPR who are still top. It'll be hard but at least we will be at home for this match.

I start thinking about what tactics should I play this weekend... I'm deep in thought till Richy takes the seat next to me.

"Great result that boss. Who'd have thought of you as a global tactical genius."

"Well if you didn't, no-one. Besides they boys have something to be proud of tonight. But I don't want them celebrating too much, Wolves is the next game. They'll be just as tough, and we have added pressure from being at home."

"No worries Boss. The lads are professional's."

"That's what worries me. Some pro's these days are complete assholes, just look at that Brazilian Flop who's signed for Man City, and then you have the poncey diving expert, who looks like he should be representing Portugal in the Olympics at diving. Those are the new look modern pro's."

"Don't sweat it Boss. We aint got no fancy guys who like to ponce around the pitch like those two."

"I hope not."

Wednesday 22nd October.

A call from Richy asking about players available for reserves. Of course I let him know, add that to the day off for the players to recuperate from their game yesterday, bit of an easy lazy day. Although I intend to look at tapes of further potential players to get in when the transfer window comes round. I've secured one player so far, Robbie Fowler looks potential enough to add to that. Maybe a couple of loanee's could help too. An email to send to Liverpool, I've looked at their young 18year old Brazilian Striker Vitor Flora as a potential loanee till the end of the season come January, lets see what Rafa thinks.

Another potential is Helder Helguson of Bolton. He might be 31 but he could do well, or so I hope. Roy Keane can have another Daryl Murphy could have the potential, only problem is with them, is trying to coax them here for the football.

That's it for today, I'll have a look at possible from the transferred players, maybe you never know, there could be some potentials there. I'll do that after training.

-=-To Be Continued-=-

Archived