Finances in La Liga

This happened to me in 08 as well, but it seems I cannot make any money in La Liga. EPL is no problem, it churns out money fast, but playing as Villarreal I'm barely breaking even, if that at all.

My wages are pretty low, for a title challenger, at 600K, and I am not over the budget. The problem is the stadium is 'small' at slightly over 20K, with no chance of expanding, since the club does not own it. I do not buy players almost at all, because I pretty much have no transfer budget, so I'm working with the starting squad + some cheap first year additions and free transfers. Selling players is pretty much out not a possibility, if I want to keep challenging for the title. Considering that Real and Barca have wage budgets and transfer budgets that are enourmous, that is becoming really hard as well. From past experience playing with Barca, I know they made crazy money, but is that solely due to Camp Nou being so huge?

Question is, how can I make some decent money so that I actually have a transfer budget?

Make it a priority to go as deep as possible in to European competitions. The longer you stay alive in them, the more TV and prize money they'll net you.

See if you can sell one of your wanted players (Rossi? Matias? Cazorla?) for a huge amount and invest that money in younger players of quality. Eventually they'll grow and you'll be able to finance a moderate amount of spending each summer with the sale of one of these players.

Also trim whatever you can from your wage budget. Get a sense of how much you bring in roughly in gate receipts and matchday revenues per match and compare this to your wage budget. Since those are the bulk of your income/expenditure during the season.

Good luck.... I had this sort of thing happen to me at Udinese. The stadium is bigger, like 40k, but despite winning the Serie A even I was rarely filling it. Then I realized that the city of Udine is about the same population as my stadium holds. (Thanks Wikipedia) So I was facing the natural limit of my fanbase sadly, unless I slowly won over fans from neighboring regions... I had to make all my money through player sales and intelligent buys and profits on players. Got up to a 300m valued club though eventually....

I'm having the same problem with Sevilla and their 45k capacity stadium that I can't expand. I have to admit, though, that I'm enjoying the challenge of buying in young players with lots of potential and developing them.

Has anyone managed to get a new stadium built in Spain at all yet? Does it happen?

Is anyone familiar with La Liga finances in real life? I was just reading (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5827985.ece) that, for example, Liverpool earn £1.5 million per home match and Manchester United £3 million...god knows that my income just doesn't compare at the moment. Is this realistic though? I'm going to chack now how much income I receive from home matches.

Thanks, I'll look into selling one of the players that I use more off the bench (maybe Nihat since him and Rossi are pretty similar and both Chelsea and Inter want him). I did get to the semis in the CL, and that was probably the only reason I did not finish in the red. It'll probably take 3-4 years to get something going. I'm trying to buy any talented regens I can find that are really cheap, so hopefully they come through and can replace my current players eventually.

With Reutlingen I do face a similiar situation. Except it is even worse as my stadiums capacity is even smaller than yours at 15k.

This was fine while I was in the third German division but now that I turned Reutlingen into a top flight title challenging side it just is not enough anymore. The fact that my sponsorship income is stuck at 55k a season (hope the patch allows this to rise when it is renewed next time) does not help either.

Reutlingen is not based in Spain but in Germany but the general situation is comparable.

The only thing you can do is keep your wages as low as possible, only spend as much (or less) money on transfers as you can make from sales and do as well as you possible can in all competitions. Especially Champions Cup TV revenue can get enormous if you do well. Last season I reached the final and got €29m(?). Eventually if you amass a decent balance and get a little lucky your board may announce to build a new stadium (mine will be 22k lol).

Good luck.

Archived