How the hell are you meant to compete first season in Prem?

After playing very well last season and getting promoted I am just getting battered every week in the Prem. My tactic from last season 'Tylerbode' was hardly getting me a shot on target. I have switched to 'TubeyTactic' and that is ever so slightly better. Now, I have managed to get a few wins. Away from home, forget it. I have three away points from one win against Swansea who are doing even worse than me (which is nice considering I'm Cardiff). Every other away I have lost. We are mid-way through January. My home record is slightly better.

What I want to know is how other people are managing when they get promoted to the Prem in 9.03?

I did spend some money and brought in four players to improve my squad.

Have they ramped up the gap between the Prem and Championship? I didn't notice this level of difficulty in 9.02.

Is it simply the case now that I may have to accept a relegation and then bounce back stronger? Are other people experiencing this also?

I have notice that Swansea are bottom (came up in the play-offs) and Reading are 19th (won the Championship), I am 18th.

I'm in July having just been promoted to the prem with Barnsley in the first season. Like you, I'm using 'tylerbode' and on 9.03. I struggled on 9.02 to stay up so I've got no chance if it's got any harder. Anybody got any advice?

You cant go using those tactics with a weaker team up against some of the best, ive used both and they are very good but not for the underdog which you of course would have been in many games, you need to be looking at defensive/counter attacking tactics first season if you feel your squad isnt up to scratch. And maybe SI have ramped up the gap between the two and if they have i think its a good decision because it was far to easily unrealistic to stay up.

To achieve promotion from the Championship you probably played fairly open attacking football.

To stay in the Permier league you need to play fairly right, defensive/counter attacking football.

No forward runs for wingers, low team mentalities, fast hard working striker to chase the through balls. Get rid of your full backs and bring in right and left sided defenders and have them stay back.

Look to score from set pieces (corners & free kicks), drop man marking unless your player has 15+ marking, 15+ positioning, 15+ concentration etc. Don't hard tackle excessively, it will only create chances for the opposition. Don't sit back too much - despite the approach - maintain some defensive line e.g. min 10, max 12.

Also look to get players who have min 15 for workrate and determination, focus on stamina and determination for outfield players as well.

Don't try and get anything other than a draw away from home and have a go at other promoted teams.

Stay up two years and you can start bringing in technique and flair/creativity/passing players and gradually start opening up again.

:thup:

To achieve promotion from the Championship you probably played fairly open attacking football.

To stay in the Permier league you need to play fairly right, defensive/counter attacking football.

No forward runs for wingers, low team mentalities, fast hard working striker to chase the through balls. Get rid of your full backs and bring in right and left sided defenders and have them stay back.

Look to score from set pieces (corners & free kicks), drop man marking unless your player has 15+ marking, 15+ positioning, 15+ concentration etc. Don't hard tackle excessively, it will only create chances for the opposition. Don't sit back too much - despite the approach - maintain some defensive line e.g. min 10, max 12.

Also look to get players who have min 15 for workrate and determination, focus on stamina and determination for outfield players as well.

Don't try and get anything other than a draw away from home and have a go at other promoted teams.

Stay up two years and you can start bringing in technique and flair/creativity/passing players and gradually start opening up again.

:thup:

Excellent post, I totally agree with all the points made, it is also vital to remember that when you first get promoted to the premier league, you will be underdogs in most games, this can be ascertained from the odds you are getting each match, this will generally cause all the teams that are better than you or have a higher reputation than you, to play attacking mentalities against you, even when they are away from home, but once you have stayed in the division for a season or so and start doing well, mid table is a very good position for a newly promoted side, then the game will re-rank you, now this is the time when you can start bringing in better quality technical players and start playing more offensively.

What kind of players did you bring in when you were upgrading your squad? Your first priority should be the defense. If you spent your money on attackers(strikers, wingers, AMCs), then big mistake. When I was promoted with Bristol City, the first thing I did was buy 2 much better center backs, and a left fullback. They alone saved me more than enough points to keep me in the EPL. In fact, we finished 11th in our first season there.

Ah, yeah, some of that rings true. I brought in a new keeper, CB and...splashed 10m on Obafemi Martins! Maybe I should have gone for another centre-half. My full backs aren't great and there are some weak spots in midfield. As its going I may stay up, I'm competitive at home against most teams - away from home though a total dead loss!

I don'T think it has generally become harder to get points, but unless you're by far the better team is is almost impossible to win anything on the road (well, at least that's my experience). Last season, being amongst the 5 best teams I've list avay to

Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Newcastle, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and forgot who the eighth team was. Some draws away... Home record: 18-1-0...

I don't want to imagine how hard it is to get something with a relegation candidate.

Well, it's always better to get a draw then a loss, no matter if it's away or home, and good defense will increase your chances of grinding out matches and getting those precious points. You probably should have bought another center back or a fullback instead of Martins. He's not going to help you stop the opposing attackers taking out your Championship level defenders you know ;)

Well, to keep you up to date...I did stay up!!!

17th and level on points with Hull in 18th. Managed to garner a whopping 33pts!

I used Tubey Tactic and found that I could compete against bottom half teams at home. I had a record of 6/8/5 - not bad.

I pulled the wingers back, held the fullbacks backs and changed all fwr to mixed. Then hit the ball to run on to my pacey striker. Away record was 2/1/16. Painful.

So, I've sold off the crap from the squad and am hoping for 20m this season. The question is, two 10m players or four 5m players?

And then I'll be going for, wait for it, 40pts. Dream big baby!

There's a tactic called Razor on this forum made by higgins. It's actually excellent for smaller/average teams, or teams that have been just promoted to a higher division. It's a 4-4-2 diamond. It's a somewhat conservative tactic but it's very solid in defense and will get you goals. It's great at grinding out results.

So, I've sold off the crap from the squad and am hoping for 20m this season. The question is, two 10m players or four 5m players?

Nahhhh.... keep an eye out for the players who's contracts have, or are about to expire. Don't spend all your transfer kitty at once, because this just puts you under more pressure from the chairman & the board.

Bargain hunt... you'll be surprised how many good quality players can be signed for very little outlay, even in the EPL.

Archived