Back to the top with Carlisle Utd the rerun

Bagpuss

Back to the top with Carlisle United

This is the story of Carlisle’s rise back to where they once were, top of the English league. Yes it was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. No wait it was back in 1974 actually after winning the first 3 games of the season. Naturally thy slumped to relegation come the close of the season :(

Is it possible to get back to the top of English football. Hell yes, been there got the t-shirt etc. Evidence of that is here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=4948 Can it be done again, god only knows. Time will tell but I suspect it’ll be harder this time around.

This is being run once again using CM 01/02 with a recent update of data as well as the addition of one or two, well ok 18, Luxemburg ringers. None of these will start at Brunton Park I doubt but who knows, all will be offered contract on the off chance. Anyway onto the new game and its team etc.

Still looking for a sae game editor for CM 01/02 so I can redo one of my other stories but I’m yet to find one that allows me to edit a clubs finances into negative IE bankrupt figures :( Not sure if there is a workaround for this bar looking into a FM based game assuming in the case of a FM game I can use a editor to edit in loans to repay debts etc. If any one has any answers for these then please point me in the right direction.

Oh and god only knows how the coding etc works now, i hae a suspcion its different to when i last did a story. I was gonna call it in the footsteps of Bill Shankly but he's a scouse git :p He did however start his playing career at Carlisle as well as his managerial career, also managed Workington Town too the local team to me.

Carlisle United Appoint New Manager

Today, July 15th 2001, Carlisle United have appointed a new manager, Stephen Baxter. Chairman of the board Andrew Jenkins has said it’s a hopefully good appointment and will lead to great success for the club. Mr Jenkins said it is expected that Carlisle reach the play offs at worst this season. There is £10 million available currently after the sale of the training ground for a new University in Carlisle.

Club records include highest position 22nd in the old Divison One back in 74/75 after a brief spell on top of the league. Best League Cup performance was the semi’s ay back in 1969-70. Best FA Cup was the quarter finals in 1974-75.

The new manager Stephen Baxter was selected mainly because he was aware of a whole bunch of young players who play were discovered in the suburbs of Luxemburg City earlier this summer. The chances of signing any of them to Carlisle United are slim at bet but we’ll see what can be pulled off over the new few weeks.

Focusing on the club past Mr Baxter has said he’ll be looking to see if any of the major names on the free transfer list will also be interested in signing to Carlisle United. Hopefully the £10 million raised from the sale of the training grounds to the University of Cumbria consortium will help here. For now that is it as Mr Baxter needs time to get to meet the squad as well as see who can be acquired before the start of the new season.

Pre Season tour news and transfers

The first player signed to Carlisle United under this new reign is the Portuguese ex premiership player Abel Xavier. Abel joined the club on July 19th and was swiftly followed by the signing off Edgar Davids, also on a free transfer later the same day. Edgar has also been signed as a coach but more to teach his many years of experience than any proper football coaching as he isn’t that good a coach just yet.

The 20th July saw the signing of one of the afore mentioned Luxemburg kids as Fearne Cotton has agreed to join Carlisle United. Fearne is a defensive midfielder who can play in the middle or on the left or right too.

These signings were completed prior to the clubs tour of Turkey which starts with a game against Turkish giants Besiktas on the 21st July and also includes games against Adanaspor and Sakaryaspor too. The signing off a new manager has lead to the selection of a new formation for the team. The team will now be playing in a 4-3-1-2 formation.

Beskitas Vs Carlisle United July 21st 2001

Today at the Inonu stadium in Istanbul Carlisle United faced Besiktas in a friendly. Carlisle were surprisingly evenly matched against a team who should be far better than them. Maybe its down to Stephen Baxter’s new signings who all played in the game, maybe it’s the new tactics.

Whatever it was Carlisle took the lead after 23 minutes when Kevin Gall latched onto a blocked shot form David Graham and stuck the ball past the stretching Besiktas keeper. Unfortunately Besiktas player Batuhan Karadeniz scored a equaliser from a free kick after a nifty little run and a great header.

Shortly afterwards David Raven picked up a foot injury and had to be replaced. During the second half neither team could make a breakthrough and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. Stephen Baxter declared it a good result as Carlisle are a lowly second division club in England and Beskitas are a good team with a good European pedigree too.

Adanaspor Vs Carlisle United July 23rd 2001

This game was tougher than the one against Beskitas possibly because no one really knew anything about the opposition. A lively start was rewarded with goals at both ends. Polat scored for Adanaspor after 8 minutes then Cotton pretty much scored straight after the kick off to level the match again.

Adanaspor scored again after 33 mins with a fierce strike from Yigit into the top corner. Early in the second half Cotton got booked for flattening Yigit and then shortly afterwards Bridges had to come off with a calf strain putting him out of action for about a month, Graham replaced him.

Midway though the second half several changes were made with Keogh, Horwood, Cotton and Bridge-Wilkinson all coming off and Lumsden, Murphy, Gowling and Hackney coming on to the field. The changes worked as Murphy crossed for Livesey to score the equaliser and the game ended 2-2.

Sakaryaspor Vs Carlisle United July 25th 2001

The final game in Turkey was a bit of a crap game for us. A lot of changes to the team as players were tired from the two games already played saw us 2-0 down midway through the first half. Things got a bit better in the second half but we were unable to score and a red card for Danny Livesey midway through the half scuppered any hopes of a come back.

On the way back from Turkey it was confirmed that Philippe Christanval had agreed to join us on a free transfer. Two more friendlies were confirmed against Portsmouth and Liverpool. Then Hull allowed us to buy Michael Bridges from them for a knock down price of £800k being we already had him on loan.

Carlisle United Vs Portsmouth July 30th 2001 Friendly

The first home game of the season was a friendly against the mighty Portsmouth. It was a full strength Portsmouth team we faced, so it wasn’t surprising we were outplayed pretty much from the start. Defoe scored for Pompey after 22 mins and they should have had more goals really. Things didn’t get any better in the second half but somehow Portsmouth failed to score. We even gave away a penalty that Crouch failed to convert when Williams saved it. Then very late on Joyce had a hit and hope shot which sneaked in past James getting us a 1-1 draw. Not a bad result in the end but to be fair Portsmouth should have won by way more goals.

Carlisle United Vs Liverpool August 2nd 2001 Friendly

This game was pretty similar to the Portsmouth one in that we were up against a far better team. Oddly Liverpool weren’t getting the shots on goal, and even odder we even managed to score first thanks to Cotton’s freekick. The second half however was a different story and we soon ended up 3-1 down. That was also the last game of the preseason and led nicely into the first game of the season against Scunthorpe.

August 2001

The first competitive game of the season was to be Scunthorpe at home in the league. It was a close game but home advantage helped us get a 3-2 win in the end. The goals came from Joyce and 2 from Gall in front of 9328 fans.

Brighton away was the next league game and despite being in control we somehow lost the game 3-2. Cotton and Carlton got the goals for us today. Cotton was also called up for the Luxemburg squad for their forthcoming game.

An away trip to Birmingham in the first round of the league cup was the next game. This was a game I’d expect us to lose, so was pleased when we won it 2-0 thanks to goals from Scott Dobie in each half. Bridge-Wilkinson however went off injured and is out for a month due to a twisted ankle. A game at home against Blackpool in the second round was the reward for winning.

Swindon at home was the next league game, the first of two over the bank holiday weekend. 9789 fans watched us play out a poor 1-1 draw with Gall getting our goal. Leeds away was the second fixture of the weekend and we beat them 2-1. Joyce and Carlton got our goals as we moved up to 10th in the table. Graham picked up a sprained wrist and will be out for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

September 2001

Hereford at home was our first game this month having missed one due to Cotton’s international match. 8913 fans turned up to see us edge out a closer game than the scoreline shows 3-1. Cotton, Dobie and Taylor got the goals for us.

League leaders Colchester away was the next game in the league and we played them off the park beating them 4-1. Having their keeper sent off in only the second minute helped us; the goals came from Gall and Graham with two a piece.

Millwall at home was the next game in the league and 11846 fans turned up to watch u thrash them 5-2. Bridges and Gall got 2 a piece and Joyce get one too. This great win got us up to 3rd in the league and we still have a game in hand over most teams.

Blackpool at home in the league up second round was the next game which was a close game but one that we ultimately lost 3-2. Gall and Dobie got out goals. Huddersfield away was next in the league and we lost 2-1 despite bossing the game. Smith got our goal in the last minute after Huddersfield keeper Matt Glennon prevented us scoring until late on. Bloody former club player too.

Crewe away was the next game and hopefully it’ll see us get back to winning ways. Total dominance again yet we only scrapped a 3-2 win. Joyce, Gall and Christanval got our goals in quick succession in the first half after Crewe had scored theirs. The second half was dull with little attacking play from either team.

Hartlepool at home was the last game for September and we managed to take a 3-0 lead at half time. Pool scored twice soon after the break but an inspired substitution bring on Cotton saw us score twice more before Pool got a late goal to end the match 5-3 to us. Gall scored twice, as well as Cotton, Graham and Bridge all getting a goal too. Best off all we moved up to 2nd in the league on the back of this win.

October 2001

Last months performances got me the manager of the month award which was nice. Yeovil at home was the first game for us this month after a week of for international games. In a close game Yeovil won 2-1, with Joyce getting our goal. The FA cup 1st round draw saw us up against Barnet at home.

Stockport away was to be our next game and we were outplayed and lost 2-0. To say I was annoyed is an understatement. David Raven was criticised in the press too for his recent poor performances.

Leyton Orient at home was next and we needed a win to get back to challenging for a promotion spot. All we got though however was a 1-1 draw and a further drop down the table. Bridges got our goal, his 4th of the season.

Bristol Rovers away was next just after the press were insinuating Ben Williams was losing faith in the defender with his keeping abilities. Stating I had faith in him obviously worked as we ran out comfortable 4-1 winners today. Carlton, Taylor, Graham and Abel Xavier got the goals for us.

Leicester at home was to be the last game this month and we were up against a team that should be playing in the first division or higher really. So to win the game 2-1 with goals from Gall and Graham was good. This win got us back up to 4th in the league but cost us Bridges who was out for 3 weeks with strained ankle ligaments.

November 2001

MK Dons away was first up this month in our catch up game after the last set of international games. Bridge-Wilkinson got the only goal of the game earning us a 1-0 win and moving us up to 2nd in the league. Chris Lumsdon however broke his toe and will be out for 2 weeks.

Peterborough away was next up for us in what could prove to be a tricky game. It was a close game with few chances but we ended up losing 3-1 with a late Carlton goal are only goal. The board were unhappy at the loss too, god knows why we are till 2nd.

Cheltenham at home was to be the next game for us and new signing Moritz Voltz was set to make his debut after a £600k transfer from Fulham. The signing most of been good as we won the game 2-0 with both goals from Carlton. Voltz however went off injured on his debut with a twisted knee and will be out for 10 days.

Just before our FA cup game against Barnet Fearne Cotton was praised in the local press to which I wholeheartedly agreed. He’ll be one for the future, mark my words. Also Gowling will be out for a month with a twisted ankle too. Unfortunately we somehow lost the actual game 3-2 which was a bit of a shock to me.

Young defender Keogh picked up a bruised thigh in a reserve game putting him out for 10 days. Tranmere at home was the last game of the month and in a close game we emerged 3-1 victors. Gall, Graham and Smith got the goals as we moved to top of the league.

December 2001

Oldham away was first up this month and we actually had a good game winning 2-0. The goals came from Bridges and Bridge-Wilkinson. Shortly after the match the signing of Paul Huntington from Leeds for £1.6 million was revealed which should help boost the defence.

Walsall away was next for us after having a week off due to our early exit from the FA Cup. It was another nice win for us, this time 2-1 with goals from Graham and Dobie. After the game we learnt we were to face Grimsby in the Vans Trophy 2nd round.

Scunthorpe was up next in yet another away game. This time we managed to lose 2-0 in a disappointing game. I wasn’t happy and neither was the board. Still at least it was an away game so there weren’t as many fans seeing the poor performance.

Brighton at home was next and a spot of player shuffling was required to remind them who was boss. Bridge-Wilkinson got our goal in a 1-1 draw but I think they got the message as most of them played well. We did lose Chris Lumsdon with strained knee ligaments for 3 weeks though.

Swindon away was next and it should be a tough game being they are 3rd. We managed a 1-1 draw in a thrilling game with Graham getting the goal before he went off with a wrist injury putting him out for a week. Davids was sent off however and will be serving a 3 game ban shortly. We finished the month in 2nd spot but only a point from top.

January 2002

First up this month was a game at home to Leeds which will be tough, especially as Dobie is out for 3 weeks due to an ankle injury. Handily we won the game 2-0 thanks to goals from Cotton and Gall and will now go back on a winning run to cement are position at the top of the second division.

Southend away was next and we managed to lose 3-1 to one of our key rival for the title. Graham got our sole goal on his return from injury. Bridge-Wilkinson however is now out for a few weeks with an ankle injury.

Huddersfield at home was next but before the game I lost Taylor for a week with a bruised shin decimating my midfield even more. Wasn’t a problem in the end as we won 5-2. The goals came from Joyce, Smith, Cotton and two from, Graham.

Grimsby away in the Vans trophy was next and we erm lost 3-1 to them somehow. Not sure how we managed that but never mind, less games to play now so in theory it makes the league easier to target. Livesey got our goal for us.

Hereford away was next and we looking to bounce back from that loss. Unfortunatly we lost again, this time 2-0. Christanval went off injured whilst playing in the midfield and will be out for 10 days with a bruised shin.

Northampton Town at home was next and we really needed a win to get the league campaign back on track. Thankfully we dominated the game and got a 2-1 win from it. Graham and Cotton got the goals for us. We also seem to have finished the month top by 3 points despite some poor games.

February 2002

Crewe at home was the first game of this month. Total domination saw us win the game 2-1 with the goals coming from Graham and Smith. Fingers crossed continued success will see is in a strong position for promotion long before the season ends.

The dirty buggers Millwall away were next which could be a problem. Oddly the only bossing about and aggro was from my lot. Still we drew 2-2 with both goals coming from Graham taking him up to 14 so far this season.

Colchester at home was to be the next game. Despite being in total control of the game we lost 2-1 with only a Carlton goal to show for our efforts. Supergoalie bug I guess as we had 4 times as many shots as them :(

Stockport at home was next and we really could do with a win. Thankfully win we did, with considerable ease not that the 3-2 scoreline shows it. Gall, Bridges and Graham got our goals.

Yeovil away was the last game of this month and we managed to keep our mini roll going with a 2-0 win. Gall and Dobie got the goals today as we edged back to the top of the table by a single point. It’s a 10 point lead over the last play off spot though so that should be easy enough to get.

March 2002

Hartlepool away was first up this month, and there are only 12 league games left. A very poor game saw us lose 2-1 with Gall getting our goal. Took longer shouting at the players for their crapness than the game actually lasted.

MK Dons at home was next and we played far better this time. Winning the game 3-1 with goals from Livesey and 2 from Bridge-Wilkinson. Hopefully some more good games this month will see us edge nearer to automatic promotion.

Leicester away was next in what should be a tough, tricky game. It was a tough game as we were thrashed 4-0 earning the players a bollocking from me after I had a bollocking from the board. Heck even the supporters were protesting after this game.

Peterborough at home was next and I really wanted a decent performance for a change. Well I sort of got it as we won 3-1 but we were actually out played for most of the game. Gall, Bridges and Carlton got the goals for us.

Leyton Orient away was next for us, moved to the Wednesday as Cotton was in the Luxemburg squad. Another poor performance, the third in a row, saw us lose 3-2 this time. Cotton and Bridges got the goals for us.

Bristol Rovers at home was the last game this month and we drew 1-1. It was a decent performance this time and Carlton scored our goal but Voltz getting sent off in the first minute probably buggered any chance of a win up. We did finish the month top by a single point with 6 games to go.

April 2002

Northampton away was first up this month and a win would help us get back on our feet. Handily Cotton had a stormer and got both assists as Carlton scored twice in a convincing 2-0 victory.

Home to 3rd placed Southend was next in a vital game. God knows what planet the players were own but it appeared to not be this one as we were resoundly beaten 3-0 at home. The board was ****ed, the fans were ****ed and so was I as we slipped to 3rd.

Things weren’t much better for the next game away to Cheltenham. At least we scored a goal this time but we still lost 3-1 and dropped another spot down to 4th with only 3 games left now.

Oldham at home was next and a win was vital to get us into the auto promotion spots. Complete dominance only got us a 1-1 draw as Crossley had a blinder in the nets for Oldham. Still we edged up into 3rd spot but also lost Gall for 3 weeks with a foot problem.

Tranmere away was the last game of the month and the penultimate one of the season for us. A very good game saw us edge out 3-2 winners with goals from Cotton, Smith and Bridge-Wilkinson. We ended the month 2nd with a play off spot fixed. With one game left there are 6 teams who could win the title still and 7 teams capable of a play off spot its that tight.

May 2002

Well this was it the big day. One of 6 can win the title still and we were only 2nd. We had the advantage of a home tie against Walsall in our favour and a good game saw us boss them around yet we still only managed to get a 1-1 draw out of it. Southend, who where top, however managed to lose and we ended up champions by a single point in the end.

It was that tight at the top that in the play off semi’s there was only 1 goal scored in the first leg and then no goals until 20 minutes remained in the second leg. Off course as it was crucial to win 5 goals went in those 20 minutes. I was awarded the manager of the year award which was nice.

************************************************************************************************
English Second Division - Tuesday 4th June 2002
************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================
2001/2 Table
================================================================================================

Pos     Team                            Pld  Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Pts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st  C  Carlisle                        46   14   6    3    51   31   10   2    11   37   40   80   
2nd  P  Leicester                       46   17   4    2    51   23   6    6    11   36   45   79   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd     Southend                        46   17   2    4    44   21   7    5    11   37   43   79   
4th  P  Colchester                      46   14   4    5    45   31   9    6    8    44   44   79   
5th     Leyton Orient                   46   16   5    2    48   23   4    12   7    28   31   77   
6th     Swindon                         46   13   7    3    53   35   9    4    10   42   42   77   
7th     Brighton                        46   15   4    4    39   24   6    8    9    24   32   75   
8th     Scunthorpe                      46   14   1    8    45   28   7    7    9    32   34   71   
9th     Oldham                          46   13   5    5    42   26   7    6    10   30   35   71   
10th    Leeds                           46   17   3    3    58   32   4    3    16   31   49   69   
11th    Yeovil                          46   11   7    5    39   25   8    4    11   33   35   68   
12th    Huddersfield                    46   13   6    4    36   19   6    4    13   27   44   67   
13th    Hereford                        46   13   7    3    47   37   5    6    12   32   43   67   
14th    Millwall                        46   9    10   4    33   22   7    6    10   38   48   64   
15th    Cheltenham                      46   14   5    4    46   24   5    1    17   24   46   63   
16th    Tranmere                        46   13   5    5    50   35   3    8    12   27   41   61   
17th    Peterborough                    46   11   4    8    45   33   7    3    13   31   46   61   
18th    Bristol Rovers                  46   13   5    5    50   41   3    6    14   24   44   59   
19th    Northampton                     46   10   5    8    42   36   5    5    13   32   47   55   
20th    Hartlepool                      46   14   1    8    48   41   3    2    18   26   50   54   
21st R  Walsall                         46   9    6    8    43   38   3    5    15   27   47   47   
22nd R  Crewe                           46   7    7    9    43   39   3    4    16   36   63   41   
23rd R  MK Dons                         46   9    3    11   27   35   2    5    16   21   49   41   
24th R  Stockport                       46   5    8    10   25   39   2    2    19   19   52   31   

Offseason Shenanigans

First off Kevin Gall was voted player of the season and then the fracking council blocked ground expansion which was news to me as we weren’t exactly selling out last season. The new season has seen me receive my orders from the board and my task is to battle bravely against relegation. So in that case I’m aiming for mid table or better but avoiding relegation shouldn’t be too hard with the squad I have.

The annual accounts however didn’t make good reading with a £10 mill loss over the season. Total income was £6.75 mill of which £2.9 mill was merchandising, and a further £2.7 mill from ticket sales for last season plus early season ticket sales for the new season. Expenses totalled £17 mill however of which £12 mill went to the players in wages, bonuses and signing on fees. We spent £1.5 mill on ground maintenance and £3.25 mill on players and staff. Net transfer sales for the season saw a loss of £3 mill on players alone. The wage bill also currently stands at a whopping £9 million a year so I’m expecting a further loss this coming season unless I sell some players.

Paul Thirwell moved to Southampton on a bosman which was no loss as he rarely played for us. Nathaniel Wedderburn joins from Stoke for £300k and will be one for the future. Zak Whitbread joins from Millwall for £100k and will boost the defence. Andy Butler joins from Huddersfield for £400k and also boots the defence. The wage bill however has climbed to £9.75 mill after these signings.

• 2 weeks later...

August 2002

Our first game in Division One was to be an away game to Burnley. We started with a good performance thanks to a 3-1 win against them. Two goals from Carlton and one from Smith got us the win. To top of the win Paul Scholes agreed to join us on a free transfer after being released by Man Utd.

Our first home game was up next against the mighty Watford. Now last season we only averaged a little fewer than 11k per home game so I’m expecting more this season especially as it’s a 22.5k stadium. Carlton got the only goal in a close game as we edged a 1-0 win.

Macclesfield at home in the League Cup was the next game. It was a one sided match and we won it 4-1. Two goals from Gall, and a goal a piece from Taylor and Graham easing us to victory. Our reward for the win, a trip to Tranmere.

Cardiff away was the first of the bank holiday weekend double header. Pity we lost as the game itself was great. Cotton scored our goal in a 2-1 loss. Leicester at home was the other game and this one we won 3-1. The goals came from Gal, Scholes and Carlton. We finished the month in 3rd spot in the table, somewhat better than the avoiding relegation the board was after.

• 1 month later...

September 2002

West Ham at home was the first game of this month. Unfortunately it was a crap game for us as we lost 3-1. Paul Scholes got our goal in another good performance for us. Marvin Williams joins us from Brentford for £130k and should prove to be a decent attacking player for us in a year or two. Also signing was Tony Craig from Millwall for £525k to boost the weak left side of defence.

Plymouth away was the next game and we got a nice 2-2 draw out of it. Joyce and Cotton scored the goals and Craig had a very good debut for us at left back. Sheffield Utd at home was up next and a simple easy 2-1 win saw us moving back up the table. Both goals came from Danny Graham today.

Tranmere in the league cup second round was to be the next game, good cup runs will boost the finances this season as we are already approaching a negative bank balance. Not so sure the 2-1 defeat is gonna help that much. Pretty crap performance if you ask me and all we had to show from it was Kevin Gall’s goal.

Bottom of the table Ipswich away was the next game and only a win would do to appease me. Naturally the team thought otherwise and proceeded to fanny around and lose 3-1. Stern words were spoken to them after the game even if admittedly we were outplayed by a good Ipswich performance.

Preston away were up next and we really needed to get a win. Well I suppose we played better but still lost 2-1. Both the board and the fans were annoyed at the result and were worrying about us getting relegate. Erm hello its only September ffs and we are still in the top half of the table.

The final game this month was at least at home and it was against Coventry. Well we were again better than the last game but again lost, this time 1-0. Only the board were annoyed this time but never mind. We end the month down in 13th spot thanks to that run of defeats.

Thanks Spav

October 2002

Peter Murphy joins Grimsby for £850k which will help with the bank balance and lower the wage bill downwards. Colchester away is the first game this month and shockingly we actually win a game. Goals from Huntington, Joyce and Graham got us a easy 3-1 win.

Charlton at home was the next game and a 2-1 win over the then league leaders was a great result, especially as Craig was sent off early in the second half. Joyce and Graham got the goals but we also lost Carlton for a month with a groin strain.

Forest away was next and the run of wins came to an end. We were totally outplayed and were lucky to score in essentially a 3-1 drubbing. Reading away were up next and despite being bossed around all game we still managed to walk away with a point thanks to a 3-3 draw.

Sunderland, the league leaders, was up next at home. After a very good game losing 2-3 wasn’t a bad result. Doesn’t help with the league position much but at least we held our own for most of the game against a team who should be in the Premier division really.

Birmingham were up next and again it was a home game. Despite being outplayed by a team languishing in the drop zone we won 2-1 thanks to a 89th minute winner from Cotton. After the game a few players were placed on the transfer list to reduce the wage bill and to hopefully get some funds into the club.

We finished the month in 11th spot in the league and even turned a small profit of £250k too.

November 2002

Stoke at home was first up this month and a nice good old 0-0 bore fest was the result. Sheffield Wednesday away was the next game and we got a second consecutive 0-0 draw. Oh well at least we are getting points still.

Blackpool at home were up next got a 3-1 win thanks to a rare Marvin Williams game and a brace for him. Also bumped us back up the league table a bit too. Derby away was next and despite being bottom they were a club who had money and had bought some good players recently. A 2-2 draw was a fair result in the end, especially as they were the better team.

Norwich at home was to be the last game of this month. It ended in a pleasing 3-2 win for us despite a late comeback by Norwich. We finished the month in 8th spot and in a good position to sneak into the play off zone if we continue our form. We did however make a £660k loss dropping us almost into debt.

• 2 weeks later...

December 2002

Crystal Palace away was the first game this month. We lost 2-1, no doubt due to Scholes getting injured early on and his replacement also getting injured within 10 mins of coming on. We also got drawn away to Derby in the FA cup 3rd round.

Swansea at home was next and for a change we edged a close game 4-3. Rochdale bought Marc Bridge-Wilkinson after the game for £425k. A few other enquires for our players were received too which will hopefully lead to offers and us getting some cash.

Cardiff at home was next and we won a second game 4-3 at home. Jeff Smith left to join Southend after the game for £500k with a further £60k due after 50 league games. Abel Xavier left us after having not played all season for £30k, he also reduced the wage bill by £650k a year by leaving. We also picked up Phil Bardsley on loan from Sunderland for 4 months. If he impresses I’ll be looking to make the move permanent.

Watford away was the first game of the busy Xmas/new year period and we started of the busy period with a nice 3-1 defeat. Burnley at home was the next game and a win was vital. This we got, 2-1, with goals from Scholes and Cotton. It also pushed us back up the table a bit into 6th spot at the end of the month. We even made a slight profit for the month.

January 2003

Leicester away was the first game of the new year and we got a pleasing 2-2 draw out of the game. Next up was Derby away in the FA Cup and we got a 2-2 draw against them meaning a replay will be needed. Oh well at least it will be at home so we might actually win it.

Preston at home was the next game and we lost it 1-0 to a lucky goal with the last kick of the game. Derby at home in the cup replay was to be the next game. Unfortunately we lost it 3-0 after Derby’s recent big name signings played well.

West Ham away were up next and a resounding 4-1 thrashing was the result. Totally outplayed we were and a severe ear bashing the team did get. We finished the month down in 11th spot after our sequence of losses and even made a loss putting us into debt :(

• 2 weeks later...

February 2003

Handily we started this new month with a good 3-1 win over Plymouth at home. Bit of luck and we’ll go on a run of wining games but knowing my luck that’s not gonna happen. As expected Sheffield Utd beat us away 2-1 but then they are the league leaders.

Colchester at home was the next fixture and this one we sneaked a win from. One very very last goal from Carlton saw us steal all the points despite being out played all game. Heck it was our only shot on target too.

Charlton away was next and pleasingly we picked up another win. This time it was 2-1 thanks to goals from Madine and Lumsdon. Ipswich at home was next and another 1-0 win, this time thanks to a Williams header, maintained are push for a play off spot. This was also the last game of the month which saw us in 7th spot 4 points off of a play off spot with 12 games left Paul Scharner also agreed to join us on a bosman too which was good news.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

March 2003

Coventry away was the first match this month and we started with a poor 3-0 loss. Stats wise it was a lot more even than the scoreline reflects but Ben Williams had a bit of a mare in goal. Might be something that needs sorting when I have some cash available I think.

Nottingham Forest at home was the next game and we really really need a win to have any chance of getting back towards the play off zone. This we got thanks to two goals from sub Andrew Cook in a 2-1 win. Reading at home was next and thanks to a late winner from Paul Scholes we won the game 3-2. This win put us into 6th spot which is the last play off berth. Hopefully we’ll stay there.

Sunderland, the runaway league leaders were up next at the Stadium of Light but we were going in buoyed by the signing of Edwin Van der Sarr on a free transfer as a player/coach. Lots of experience there and hopefully capable of imparting his keeping experience onto our current keepers. Typically despite playing well for someone lacking match fitness Edwin got sent off. We did manage a nice 2-2 draw though so all wasn’t lost.

Stoke away was the last game of this month and we got a 1-1 draw despite being out played all game. Edwin had another good game and will hopefully help boost us towards a strong finish. We finished the month in 7th spot just missing out on the play off zone via goal difference. We did however have a second month losing £600k and currently have a debt of £1.3 million :(

April 2003

Rock bottom Birmingham away was the first game of this vital month in our quest for a play off spot. Handily we played well and earnt a 2-1 win after a hard fought game. Derby at home was to be the next game for us and we were totally outplayed and were very lucky to only lose 3-2 in the end. Oh well trying to get a play off spot might be harder than I first though.

Norwich away were up next for us and it was pretty much a must win game. Naturally despite being the better team and having twice as many shots we lost the game 1-0. Bumholes. Sheffield Wednesday at home was the next game and with 4 games remaining it was yet another win or bust jobbie. A Kevin Gall brace was enough to get us a 2-2 draw which may or may not help get us the play off spot we want.

Dead bottom Blackpool were up next and we had a trip to the seaside to play them too. Despite a good effort we only managed a 2-2 draw and pretty much ended any chance of a play off spot being there are only 2 games left and we are 5 points away from the final spot. Crystal Palace at home was the last game this month and we got a lovely 3-1 win. Should keep the fans happy but alas it was too late to get a play off spot as the final one is between Cardiff and Swansea. We also made a loss of £800k for the month increasing the debt to £2.2 million.

May 2003

The final match of the season was to be against Swansea and away in Wales. After a hard match which we were never really in we walked away with a 2-2 draw earning us 8th place in the league. Also we got £1.2 mill in prize money from the league, not that it’ll have much affect on the debt.

English First Division - Monday 26th May 2003

2002/3 Table

Pos     Team                            Pld  Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Pts
1st  C  Sunderland                      46   18   4    1    56   25   9    4    10   43   37   89   
2nd  P  Sheff Utd                       46   17   4    2    51   25   9    5    9    40   32   87   
3rd  P  Coventry                        46   16   4    3    52   21   9    5    9    24   33   84   
4th     West Ham                        46   19   1    3    54   25   6    6    11   32   44   82   
5th     Charlton                        46   16   3    4    53   23   9    2    12   42   47   80   
6th     Swansea                         46   14   3    6    40   24   8    6    9    32   38   75   
7th     Cardiff                         46   16   3    4    42   25   6    6    11   31   43   75   
8th     Carlisle                        46   16   2    5    46   31   4    9    10   34   46   71   
9th     Watford                         46   10   5    8    43   32   10   5    8    32   34   70   
10th    Crystal Palace                  46   15   7    1    41   20   4    6    13   32   46   70   
11th    Stoke                           46   14   3    6    42   22   6    3    14   25   39   66   
12th    Preston                         46   16   4    3    46   24   3    5    15   14   41   66   
13th    Ipswich                         46   14   3    6    48   29   5    5    13   33   45   65   
14th    Nottm Forest                    46   12   4    7    37   27   7    4    12   29   38   65   
15th    Leicester                       46   13   6    4    39   25   4    4    15   23   46   61   
16th    Sheff Wed                       46   11   6    6    41   37   4    6    13   26   47   57   
17th    Burnley                         46   11   3    9    47   39   4    4    15   27   45   52   
18th    Reading                         46   11   9    3    34   23   1    7    15   21   43   52   
19th    Birmingham                      46   8    7    8    40   35   5    4    14   31   50   50   
20th    Derby                           46   10   7    6    37   34   3    4    16   19   41   50   
21st    Norwich                         46   6    11   6    38   40   3    6    14   26   42   44   
22nd R  Plymouth                        46   11   5    7    40   36   1    3    19   27   65   44   
23rd R  Colchester                      46   7    5    11   36   37   4    4    15   29   51   42   
24th R  Blackpool                       46   6    9    8    36   31   3    5    15   18   46   41   

Offseason Shenanigans

The annual accounts saw the following occur this season

With actually made a £24,329 profit over the season in the end due to the early season ticket income. Total income was up to £20.25 mill (up from £6.75 mill) of which £4 mill (up from £2.9 mill) was merchandising, and a further £3.7 mill (up from £2.7 mill) from ticket sales for last season plus early season ticket sales for the new season. Expenses totalled £20 mill (up from £17 mill) however of which £16.6 mill (up from £12 mill) went to the players in wages, bonuses and signing on fees. We spent £1.6 mill (up from £1.5 mill) on ground maintenance and £1.55 mill (down from £3.25 mill) on players and staff. Net transfer sales for the season saw a gain of £250k (up from a loss of £3 mill) on players alone. The wage bill also currently stands at a whopping £13.25 mill (up from £9 mill) a year. Hopefully continued good performance and the sale of fringe players will see us remain on a even keel with the finances but I suspect not.

This seasons player of the season award went to Fearne Cotton who is easily the best player in the team and someone who I hope to be able to hang onto.

Transfer dealings in the summer saw the following occur

Edwin Van der Saar retired but remains a coach

Joe Lewis joins from Derby for £1.3 mill to replace Edwin

Roberto Losada joins from Cultural on a bosman to add experience to the strike force

Joel Porter joins from Hartlepool on a bosman to further boost the strike force

Paul Scharner joins from Wigan on a bosman to add some experience to the defence.

The board once more expect me to avoid getting relegated so I’ll see if I can get the play off spot this season ;)

Mikael Silvestre joins on a free transfer after being released by Arsenal and several other players of a similar ilk released by Premiership clubs have also been offered contracts. Might bump the wage bill up somewhat and cause us to run at a loss but fingers crossed it’ll also lead us into the play offs and perhaps even automatic promotion.

Claudio Pizzaro joins after being released by Chelsea. Nicky Butt also signs in a similar manner but from Newcastle. Cris joins us also in the same manner but this time after leaving Lyon after a tip off from a agent. That concludes the summer signing spree and with that the wage bill has mushroomed to a whopping £18.5 mill and the club has £700k in the bank account. Oh well a season of no cash awaits but hopefully with on field success and some good cup runs to help generate some cash.

• 2 weeks later...

August 2003

Cardiff away was the first game of the new season and expectations were high. Unfortunately the performance was anything but high. Cardiff completely out played us and losing 4-1 was a very fair result. QPR at home was the first home game of the season and we played much better this game. A nice simple 3-1 win with goals from Scholes, Carlton and Gall easing us to victory.

Darlington away in the league cup first round was the next game and getting past the second round would be nice this year. Off course actually winning in the first round helps so going out on penalties after a 2-2 draw wasn’t a good idea. Worse still we completely dominated the game but failed to score from our numerous chances.

Brighton away were up next and this time we played rubbish bit got a 2-0 win. Recent signings Cris and Pizarro scored the goals for us on a nice sunny day. Wolves at home were next and being they were the league leaders the 2-1 win was a good result. It was a very even game really but a win is a win. We finished the month in 4th which was a good start to the season, the less said about the finances the better. A £1.8 mill loss for the month wasn’t a good start.

September 2003

Charlton at home was to be the first game this month and we dominated yet lost 2-1. Charlton had 3 shots, 2 of which were on target and both of those went in. God knows how 16 shots got us a single goal but such is life. Scunthorpe away were next and they were rock bottom of the table. The 1-1 draw we got was rather disappointing but never mind a point is a point.

To ease the debt Ben Williams was sold to QPR for £1 million but that’s not going to help for long. Better news was the home game against Watford as we thrashed them 5-1. Scholes and Pizarro both got 2 goals and Graham got the 5th. Reading at home was next and for the second time in a row it was a TV game. This time Cotton got 2 goals and a 3rd came from Carlton as a 3-0 win put us top overnight.

Ipswich away was next and we eased back to top spot thanks to a 2-1 win with Pizarro scoring both goals. Swansea at home was the last game this month and it was also the 3rd home TV game of the month too. Cris and Gall scored for us in a 2-1 win which was pretty easy. We finished the month top by 3 points but again made a loss, this time only £200k.

• 3 weeks later...

October 2003

Derby away was the first game this month and it was a good game. Shame we lost 2-1 but to be fair Derby were getting more shots on goal. Birmingham at home was next and we bounced back from the defeat to Derby with a nice easy 2-0 win. Gall and Carlton scored the goals in a somewhat one sided game.

Stoke away were up next and another win, this time 1-0, kept us joint top on points. Goal difference had us down in 2nd though. 3rd placed Wigan at home were next and we needed a win to open up a bit of a gap near the top. This was not to be as we had one player sent off and 4 others booked in a 3-1 loss.

Nottingham Forest away were next and we lost this one too thanks to a sloppy last minute goal. Preston away was the last game of the month and we managed to win it 1-0. We ended the month in 2nd spot a point from top but having played a game more. We also lost £1.5 mill over the month meaning we were currently £2.25 million in debt.

• 4 weeks later...

November 2003

Burnley at home were to be the first opponents this month as we looked to keep on pushing for a promotion spot to the Premier League. A nice easy 3-1 victory thanks to goals from Cotton, Graham and Pizarro eased us to the 3 points. Norwich away was next and this game we drew 3-3 in a thrilling game. Gall got two and Scharner the third as we edged into top spot on goal difference.

Crystal Palace at home was next and we lost the game despite easily outplaying them. Scharner scored our goal but we still managed to lose 2-1. West Ham away were up next on the Friday night TV game, the £31,250 from Sky might make a small dent into the debt. The team obviously liked being on telly as we kicked arse winning 3-1 with goals from Graham, Scholes and Pizarro.

Dobie was sold to Bradford for £210k which also removed £500k from the wage bill. Sheffield Wed at home was up next and unfortunately a boring game resulted in a 1-1 daw. We finished the month in 3rd spot 2 points off of top. We also managed to lose £1.5 mill over the month meaning we were now £3.8 mill in debt.

• 1 month later...

December 2003

Leicester at home was first up this month and the 1-1 draw we got wasn’t good enough. Yes we played well but the failure to convert chances into goals meant we lost out on points again. Brighton at home were next and again we played crap. Thankfully we scored the only goal of the game winning it 1-0 but yet again we were woeful at shooting.

Wolves away was next and we managed to rule the game yet only got a 1-1 draw out of it. Cotton got our goal before Scholes went off injured. Cardiff at home was next and we finished the month with another draw. Two goals from Danny Graham in a game we totally dominated earnt us a 2-2 draw due to some stubborn Cardiff defending. We finished the month in 4th spot 5 points from top but with a game in hand. We also lost £1.8 million over the month taking the total debt up to £5.7 million.

• 2 weeks later...

January 2004

First up this month was the FA Cup against Burton Albion. Naturally we had no trouble and beat them at home 3-0. Cotton, Pizarro and Graham got our goals in an easily dominant game. It was also the furthest we have gone in the FA Cup being it was the first game I’d won in the competition on 3 years.

Just before the next game, away to Millwall, the board injected £2.3 million to help with the debts. Money that was needed to be frank as we were on the verge of bankruptcy and being unable to reject offers for any of our players. The match itself was scrappy but we got a 1-0 win thanks to Joel Porter’s stunning strike from 30 yards out.

Scunthorpe at home was next and just before the game Christanval was sold to Gunigamp for £450k whilst also removing £550k from the annual wage bill, a few more players were also listed to raise money and reduce the wage bill. More worryingly is Paul Scholes contract is up the end of the season and the likelihood of him accepting half what he gets now is slim.

The game itself was a boring affair especially as we scored the only goal 11 mins in after Scunthrope had a player sent off from the spot. The rest of the game was utter crap even if we did dominate it. Charlton away in the Sunday TV spot was next for us and we got a 2-1 win thanks to kid striker Andrew Cook who will be good for us one day soon.

QPR away was next for us in a postponed game due to a QPR FA Cup replay. Unfortunately we only got a 1-1 draw out of the game thanks to a last minute equaliser from Huntington. Bolton away on the FA Cup 4th round was next for us and despite it being a very close game we lost 2-0. Losing Pizzaro to a red card never helped but then that was after the two goals.

Ipswich at home was the last game this month and we got a nice easy 2-0 win thanks to goals from Graham and Scharner. That win keeps us in 2nd spot at the end of the month 1 point from top and 3 ahead of 3rd. We actually made £1.7 mill this month but discounting the £2.3 mill investment it was actually a £600k loss. Debts currently stand at £3.9 mill but we are technically in profit for the year.

February 2004

Watford away was first up this month in the Sunday TV slot. The TV cameras must be a good omen as we bossed the game and got a 1-0 win edging us into top spot. Is it to soon to be thinking of Premiership football I wonder? Reading were up next, in another away game and this one we lost narrowly 3-2. It was a good game but alas a lucky goal saw Reading steal the points after two own goals had us in the lead at half time.

Swansea were next in another away game, bloody things. This one we dominated winning 3-1 with Carlton getting one and Porter two goals as we maintained top spot. Finally a home again, against Preston, and we ended up sharing the points after a very boring 0-0 draw.

We ended the month top by 4 points with third a further point behind. 14 matches to go still but hopefully in a good position to get automatic promotion to the Premiership. A bad month financially though as we lost £1.8 mill dropping us down to a debt of £5.7 million. Nearly reaching bankruptcy levels there :(.

March 2004

Derby at home was first up this month as we looked to continue the push for promotion. Pity we lost as it was a game we had total control over. Bloody Louis Saha scoring the only goal. Wigan away was net in the top of the table clash. Handily we won 3-2 with goals from Scharner and two from Gall. The win also widens the lead at the top too, all very handy.

Stoke at home were next for the great Carlisle rollercoaster ride to promotion. Pity we lost the game 1-0 despite easily ruling the game. Oh well just one of those days and hopefully a blip on the way to the title, promotion and the premiership. Crystal Palace away was next and we totally outclassed and lost 2-0. The blip gets bigger it seems.

Last up this month was Nottingham Forest at home and a nice simple 1-0 win was the result getting us back on track. Cris scored the only goal just before getting injured. We ended the month top still by 4 points with 7 games to go. Lost £1.1 mill over the month taking the bank balance down to £7 mill in debt. Better promote or else we be fuxored.

April 2004

Birmingham away was up first for us this vital month and we were totally out played and lost the game 4-2. God knows what happened we were winning 2-0 at half time. Norwich at home was next and we bounced back well from the Brum loss winning 4-0. Gall got two and Graham and Scholes got a goal each too.

Burnley away were next and going into the last 3 mins we had a 1-0 lead in a game we had dominated. Feck knows how but they scored twice to win the game 2-1. The gits. Mail bomb in the mail, may arrive in time for the new season knowing Royal Mail. West Ham at home was next and it was one of those very boring 1-1 draws you get. Still a point is a point and we just about remain top with 3 games to go.

Another loss, this time to Leicester 2-1, sees us somehow remain top but its getting awfully tight and there are only 2 games left now. Tied for top with second but ahead on GD only. Play off spot all but guaranteed though. Lost a further £1.4 mill this month making the debt £8.4 mill now, oops.

• 2 weeks later...

May 2009

Make or break month this one. Home to 23rd placed Millwall then 4th placed Sheffield Wed away for the last game. Handily we easily beat Millwall 3-0. Silvestre, Scholes and Cotton all scored in a stonking game. Secures a play off spot and more or less makes it a 3 way shootout for the 2 auto promotion spots.

Sheffield Wednesday away was the last game for us and being it is tight at the top we really needed to win. Shame we lost 1-0 and to be frank were pathetic with a grand total of 2 shots to Wednesdays 15. Still everyone else at the top lost or drew too so we won the league on goal difference. Premiership football here we come. Lost a further £600k this month despite prize money to hit a debt of £9 mill. Will take some reducing that one.

English First Division – Monday 31st May 2004

2003/4 Table

1st  C  Carlisle                        46   13   5    5    40   19   10   4    9    33   34   78   
2nd  P  Swansea                         46   16   3    4    47   21   7    6    10   29   36   78   
3rd     Watford                         46   13   9    1    50   24   9    2    12   33   43   77   
4th     Burnley                         46   16   6    1    53   28   6    4    13   31   42   76   
5th  P  Sheff Wed                       46   15   6    2    36   15   5    10   8    35   44   76   
6th     Wigan                           46   14   5    4    45   32   9    2    12   30   38   76   
7th     Derby                           46   17   2    4    40   20   5    5    13   25   44   73   
8th     Crystal Palace                  46   16   4    3    48   27   5    4    14   29   43   71   
9th     Leicester                       46   15   3    5    50   26   4    8    11   25   43   68   
10th    Charlton                        46   14   4    5    44   30   6    3    14   32   46   67   
11th    Wolves                          46   11   7    5    42   31   6    6    11   28   40   64   
12th    Birmingham                      46   14   4    5    48   28   4    5    14   25   45   63   
13th    Reading                         46   13   7    3    47   27   5    2    16   26   47   63   
14th    Scunthorpe                      46   14   4    5    38   24   3    7    13   24   39   62   
15th    West Ham                        46   9    4    10   45   39   8    6    9    36   41   61   
16th    Cardiff                         46   11   5    7    41   29   6    4    13   35   50   60   
17th    Q.P.R.                          46   11   7    5    43   29   5    4    14   33   52   59   
18th    Norwich                         46   14   3    6    50   32   2    5    16   25   53   56   
19th    Preston                         46   9    9    5    40   35   4    6    13   24   39   54   
20th    Stoke                           46   8    8    7    34   30   4    9    10   18   30   53   
21st    Ipswich                         46   10   9    4    38   22   1    9    13   26   47   51   
22nd R  Nottm Forest                    46   10   8    5    38   34   2    7    14   25   48   51   
23rd R  Brighton                        46   8    6    9    39   36   3    5    15   20   39   44   
24th R  Millwall                        46   9    3    11   36   39   2    8    13   30   49   44

Offseason Shenanigans

The annual accounts saw the following occur this season

We made a £7.5 million loss over the season which is a new record loss, still we are in the Premiership now so things might be a little more affordable. Total income was up to £23 mill (up from £20.25 mill) of which £4.6 mill (up from £4 mill) was merchandising, and a further £8 mill (up from £3.7 mill) from ticket sales for last season plus early season ticket sales for the new season, £5 mill for the forthcoming season alone.

Expenses totalled £30 mill (up from £20 mill) however of which £26.8 mill (up from £16.6 mill) went to the players in wages, bonuses and signing on fees. We spent £1.6 mill (up from £1.6 mill) on ground maintenance and £1.44 mill (down from £1.55 mill) on players and staff. Net transfer sales for the season saw a gain of £300k (up from a gain £250k) on players alone. The wage bill also currently stands at a whopping £19.25 mill (up from £13.25 mill) a year.

This seasons player of the season award went to Fearne Cotton who is easily the best player in the team and someone who I hope to be able to hang onto.

Transfers over the summer include

Edgar Davids retires but remains a coach on a lower wage

Mathew Coyne joins from Guisely for £140k

Manucho joins on a free transfer after being released by Man Utd

Simon Hackney was released

No other activity transfer wise as to get into the Premiership I needed a ground upgrade so capacity has jumped from 22500 to 29500 people. Drawback was it cost £6.75 mill taking half the TV money for the season. The board’s expectations are we are getting relegated. I’m trying to finish 17th or better however.

• 3 weeks later...

August 2004

The first game in the Premiership is the ever so easy tie of Man Utd away. It wasn’t as bad as I expected ad we weren’t totally out classed. We did still lose 3-1 but it wasn’t the thrashing I was expecting. Fulham were to be our first opponents at home setting a new attendance record of 28,870. We also totally dominated the match and won 2-0. Probably helped that their keeper was sent off half way through the first half but we were already leading anyway.

Pompey away was the last game this month and after the Fulham win it was back down to earth with a 3-1 loss. Cotton was also injured with a gashed leg putting him out for a week. Still we ended the month in 14th spot which isn’t to bad a start. We are £1 million in debt though.

Archived