Should SI Ditch the "No More Single Tactic" Idea?

Should It Be Ditched?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should It Be Ditched?

• Yes, bad idea and should be ditched as soon as possible
    • Yes, untill it's been tested well and should be released in a patch
    • Yes, but included in a different game when it is ready
    • No, they should keep it but should improve it
    • No, and it's great as it is
    • Hasn't affected me/not noticed

nonsense. i've been using one tactics for the last three seasons in 9.30 and the team have been performing consistently and above expectation. and it's just a simple 442 which i dont need to twitch every match either. As long as your tactic is balance you hardly need to change

Yeah sure, real life teams often play more defensive away, but they don't go from a basic 4-4-2 at home to a 5-3-2 away, or from a 3 defender system at home to a 4 defender system away (oh and btw, 3 defender systems in FM are suicidal).

That's your problem right there, you are changing your formation rather than tweaking your tactic.....it's already been stated alswhere on the forums (can't remember where) that a team can take up to 10 games to adjust to a new formation, so changing the formation during a match is generally asking for trouble....particularly if your team is already struggling in a match, doing that will just make it more unlikely you'll win.

• SI Staff
That's your problem right there, you are changing your formation rather than tweaking your tactic.....it's already been stated alswhere on the forums (can't remember where) that a team can take up to 10 games to adjust to a new formation, so changing the formation during a match is generally asking for trouble....particularly if your team is already struggling in a match, doing that will just make it more unlikely you'll win.

Another myth ;)

Truth is that people don't like to lose, and when they lose it's because bugs or AI cheating.

I know that FM has bugs/problems/nonsense, but you can't pretend to have "your winning eleven" and to win 90% of the matches. I don't think that Ferguson is training Man Utd since the first world war with the same tactic, or is he?

Look at Van Gaal, Sacchi, Capello, Hiddink, Lippi, Roux, Trapattoni etc...they all didn't win everything for 6 years in a row, or did they?

Another myth ;)

So you're saying that it doesn't take a number of matches to get used to a formation and that it will work fine to change formations mid match then?

That's very interesting indeed, because of the perception amongst a lot of people that the opposite is true.

If so, that's good! :thup::)

Another myth ;)

While we're on about myths - a point was brought up not too long ago regarding form - i thought that i read somewhere on here that "form" was randomly generated whenever a game was loaded - is this true or is it a myth?

At the time i stated my memory is sketchy at best and it's entirely possible that i dreamt the whole thing :D

By the sounds of it we're getting too close to reality (big teams occasionally coming unstuck away) and people don't seem to like it!

I don't think this is right at all, when was the last time you have seen a top 4 team be dominated by a lower team in every away game. I can accept that occasionaly this happens IRL but i think this "feature" has been implemented too extremely and should be toned down in effectiveness as teams like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool don't have to change tactics IRL to be competitiveness in a match (though i know Liverpool have stuggled against lower teams they have not been dominated at all).

It seems the match engine takes tactics into account too much and not player ability enough (if that made sense?)

No more single tactic? adjust your tactic in accordance with form opponents confidence etc.

is it a cheat your looking for to win games all the time.

This isn't the game for you if you think it should be changed.

no i don't mean a tactic should last for your entire career without change, or even a complete season. It's just that there shouldn't be such a sharp contrast between home stats and away stats with the same tactic.

As i said in my last post, when Man Utd or even Villa and Everton are playing away they rarely play different to how they play at home and they consistantly get good results home and away

As i said in my last post, when Man Utd or even Villa and Everton are playing away they rarely play different to how they play at home and they consistantly get good results home and away

Try looking at the teams at the bottom of the Premiership: Stoke lost 3 home games, 11 away; Boro 4 home, 10 away; West Brom 7 home, 11 away.

There IS a difference between home and away form for most of the teams in the league - the top ones of all divisions will always buck that trend.

Try looking at the teams at the bottom of the Premiership: Stoke lost 3 home games, 11 away; Boro 4 home, 10 away; West Brom 7 home, 11 away.

There IS a difference between home and away form for most of the teams in the league - the top ones of all divisions will always buck that trend.

Yes but they are bottom of the league and i would doubt get steamrolled away to each other, ie. teams of similar ability. And i know there is a difference between home and away and generally teams will play better at home then away, but if you are playing teams of similar ability/lower ability than yours then you would normally be at least competitive in the match whereas it seems you don't stand a chance in most games away from home that you would expect to do decent/well in.

Check the league tables in FM using the home and away display. You should see a fairly realistic spread of records when compared to IRL.

I will do that in a minute but i'm almost certain that a team in the top 6, or possibly even top half will have lost 80% of their away games.

Sorry just an off topic quick question, is there any way to start the view as 2D classic view instead of 2D classic view?

thanks

So if you tweak your tactics a tiny little bit (like one little notch on the mentality slider) this new thing won't make any difference? Because that would count as a different set of tactics?

yes it will make a small difference but not really one to the result as you need a completely different mentallity apparently

Well that's stupid, I always play the same way in every game of every Football Manager since I started playing it.

i have in every version which is why i think that when SI were going to introduce this it should at minimum have been in a new game as so far i think every new patch has changed the match engine which is pretty stupid itself as IMO the match engine should only be changed in new games otherwise a tactic that was completely fine one game could be amazingly bad when patched up. Only match engine bugs should be fixed mid-season

yes it will make a small difference but not really one to the result as you need a completely different mentallity apparently

Errr, no you don't need a completely different mentality. Slightly less attacking maybe, playing one two notches narrower maybe, less people running forward maybe. Not completely different.

And there is usually no need to have a different away formation either. You can if you want to though but that's not the way I usually play.

Its a good idea to have a couple tactics. Sometimes the A.I just happens to run teams in such a way as to nullify your tactics/formations strengths, also don't discount 'luck' (random number generator) which is a big factor in this as in any game.

Yes but they are bottom of the league and i would doubt get steamrolled away to each other, ie. teams of similar ability. And i know there is a difference between home and away and generally teams will play better at home then away, but if you are playing teams of similar ability/lower ability than yours then you would normally be at least competitive in the match whereas it seems you don't stand a chance in most games away from home that you would expect to do decent/well in.

Look at Citeh, spent 200mil (or whatever) on the squad and have won one away game all premiership season. They have been absolute crap away from the eastlands (thusfar) and have been constantly outplayed. I'm sure Hughes in wondering why.

edit: Infact we have have a chance to change things unlike real managers, no formation tweaking or telling Robinho to stop the flicks will help Citeh (this season).

Archived