Looking for assistance with 4-3-1-2 formation

Hi, I have started a new game with AC Milan and I am looking to build a 4-3-1-2 formation. I have started creating one using the tactics bible with the 2-6-2 theory but I am finding that I am struggling to create chances, im struggling to win against even small teams even when I dominate possession and against larger clubs I am struggling to keep the ball and the only chances I create are from long range.

My Midfield 3 is typically Ambrosini/Flamini, Pirlo, Gattuso/Flamini. Gattuso has defensive settings even though he is on the centre right, and Ambrosini and Pirlo are in support roles. Im not sure if my struggles are down to a lack of width or lack of support from midfield. If anyone has had success with this formation or a 4-1-2-1-2 would be great to hear how you achieved it. Thanks!

I would quite like to make my own tactic either with the 2-6-2 theory or bands of two but will have a look at it. I want to make Pirlo the deep lying playmaker but im not sure if his defensive stats are good enough to have him as the main defensive player.

Archived