Macs, Editors, Darwine and Crossover. Ideas?

bmxhag

The Mac Scout and Editor by LittleBlue seems to be no more. And with it goes any chance of a mac only data editor. So how about pc editors on a mac?

I've been told it can't be done. But just maybe...

I've tried them all. The only one I have got to work is the FM Modifier with both crossover and darwine. It started fine but its in Chinese and not updated for 9.3. Apparently its also a dead project (?) However, this minor success inspired me to think I might start winning my losing battle.

I'm no programmer whiz and I've been told that real time editors will never work on a mac with a pc program because of this. There also don't seem to be any non real time save game editors for pc. I gathered these may be possible to work on a mac(?).

Anyone help?!?! Have I made any sense? Could anyone actually say for definite what can and can't work? Do Crossover and/or Darwine mean mac users may one day be able to use an editor?

Even though FMM appeared to run using Crossover/Darwine, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to load the FM game you've got open in OS X.

Since the save game structure is identical in Windows and Mac, a Windows FM save game editor should work in OS X -- much like the latest Genie Scout. But for some reason (convenience?), all of the various editors that people have developed for the last few FMs are all real-time editors. It doesn't really make sense to me, since I think Little Blue said that you can apparently do more with save game files.

Makes no sense to me either. Very frustrating. Is there definitely no non real time save game editors hidden away out there?

An alternative if anyone could answer this:

I have access to a pc. If I was to install fm and a save game editor, copy my existing mac savegame across, edit what i need, save, and put it back onto my mac, would it work?

Seems to me any attempt to edit a save game on a mac is a pain in the proverbial. Thank you for the answer tho.

If anyone has any idea of how this pain may be eased, lets hear it. Or just to hear something from Littleblue would be nice. If only to say officially that her project is dead again.

I have access to a pc. If I was to install fm and a save game editor, copy my existing mac savegame across, edit what i need, save, and put it back onto my mac, would it work?

If you have a custom database, you may run into problems. It should still be possible, but every time I've tried it using Boot Camp, I get errors when I try and load the save game in FM on the Windows side.

If you have a custom database, you may run into problems. It should still be possible, but every time I've tried it using Boot Camp, I get errors when I try and load the save game in FM on the Windows side.

Yeah I haven't been able to get it to work that way. I have a custom database and all of my attempts to get my savegame to load in Windows have failed. If anyone's gotten it to work, let me know!

I do this through Parallels, so I don't have to swap computers.

Also, these editors don't work because to run them you need the .net 3.5 framework, I thought?

I do this through Parallels, so I don't have to swap computers.

Also, these editors don't work because to run them you need the .net 3.5 framework, I thought?

I think I heard somewhere that the next version of Crossover would include the .net 3.5 framework. Don't know if that is true though.

Even with the .net framework, I'm pretty sure the PC real-time editors won't work on the game that's running in OS X. The problem is that they won't recognise the Mac game that's running because FM on the Mac is a completely different executable. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but I don't see how it could work... :(

Archived