Bottom of the heap - a Scottish epic

Bowman4NQ

April & Early May 2007

Stranraer suffered a setback to their preparation for their match against us when manager Gerry Britton walked out to take the main job at Partick Thistle. 34-year old Chris Steward, who was signed as assistant manager only a matter of days before, is now the acting manager. Despite the instability, the locals were able to walk away with a point from the game at Stair Park.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">7/4 - Stranraer 0 Thistle 0

After 31 games

1. Stirling 58 +20

2. Thistle 57 +20

3. Raith 50 +9

4. Arbroath 47 +4</pre>

The lead-up to the match against Stirling lacked the comedic rivalry that defined our previous clash, but that didn't mean we didn't take the match seriously. At stake was the leadership, if not eventual ownership, of the Second Division. Adopting a 'wait and see' approach to the tactical battle, it seemed that Allan Moore was also taking the same defensive mentality. The last fifteen minutes was a mad scramble for the winning goal, but both teams would end up disappointed. Stirling keep their slender one-point lead at the top of the division. The same afternoon, Gretna's challenge for the Scottish Cup after a 3-1 loss to Kilmarnock at Hampden. The Killies will face defending champions Motherwell after a 1-0 win against Hearts.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">14/4 - Thistle 0 Stirling 0

After 32 games

1. Stirling 59 +20

2. Thistle 58 +20

3. Raith 53 +11

4. Arbroath 50 +6</pre>

During the week we signed Craig Molloy, a good young midfielder from Stirling. Craig will be with the Thistles until the end of the 2009/10 season and should provide some good competition for spots in the top side. We have also offered contracts to Robbie Horn and Paul McHale for an additional year.

Despite our fast start, we failed to secure the three points against Dumbarton. A consolation was Connor Gethins' 27th goal of the season, a new Thistle record.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">21/4 - Dumbarton 2 Thistle 2

Scorers - Gethins 1, 21 (Rodgers 42, Gold 72)

After 33 games

1. Stirling 62 +24

2. Thistle 59 +20

3. Raith 56 +13

4. Arbroath 50 +3</pre>

Stranraer resolved their manager situation by hiring Darren Henderson.

With just three games to go, we were on the cusp of promotion, although Raith could sneak in under our noses and steal away our spot if we were to suddenly slip up. Therefore, total importance was placed on our game against Arbroath, who were still clinging on to their slight hopes of promotion. With another Connor Gethins goal, it seemed we were well on our way, but a period of compalcency let Arbroath back into the same and let them share the points.

Raith's 3-0 demolition of Stirling meant that the Second Division was heading for a photo finish.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">28/4 - Thistle 1 Arbroath 1

Scorers - Gethins 23 (Swankie 66)

After 34 games

1. Stirling 62 +20

2. Thistle 60 +20

3. Raith 59 +15</pre>

Although Montrose were already relegated, I wasn't content to treat them with kid gloves. Instead, I wanted blood on the pitch, and for our team to make a big statement to our rivals. Instead, we suffered the huge embarrasment of Montrose scoring three first-half goals, and despite a halftime rant that could have peeled paint, our performance did not improve in the second half. For the first time I can remember, our own supporters booed us off the pitch.

Raith were held to a scoreless draw by Arbroath, meaning they were now level on points with us. After next Saturday, one of us would be in the First Division, and the other team would have their hopes and dreams cruelly taken away from them.

Nice business, this sport.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">5/5 - Montrose 5 Thistle 1

Scorers - Dempsey 72 (Baird 20, Sharp 33, 77, Smart 38, Kerrigan 88)

After 35 games

1. Stirling 63 +20

2. Thistle 60 +16

3. Raith 60 +15</pre>

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super Saturday

I didn't have to say a single thing on the bus trip back from Montrose. I didn't have to, as the boys all knew their performance was terrible. There was no music, no laughter, no singing, just stunned silence and 22 vacant faces starting out at the dreary, damp landscape.

The next day, I called around at the home of Graeme Smith, my goalkeeper. Graeme was obviously unprepared for any visitors, as he answered the door in his boxers. "Sorry Skip, come right in," as he put the kettle on and searched in the sink for the two least-dirty mugs to make some tea.

Sitting in his longue room, I opened the discussion at least. "What did you think of yesterday?"

"Honestly Skip, it was terrible. I just felt smaller and smaller out there. I haven't felt so embarrased since I farted in my maths exam in junior school. I can assure you it won't happen again."

"Graeme, you're my number one keeper, and I'm not going to give up on you now. Cameron Bell is underdone, David Hay has been in reserves all season, so you're it. I need you to know that you have my total confidence."

Smith visibly relaxed on the couch. "Gee, thanks Skippy. That's really important to know. For a while, I thought I might be looking for alternative employment next year.".

Being a Sunday, I decided to take a stress off Sheena's mind and do a spot of babysitting, taking Callan and Sam to the office while I planned for the Raith match. A reporter from the Edinburgh Evening News was waiting as I arrived.

"The new secret weapons for the Thistle forward line?" the reporter asked in jest, pointing at my sons.

"Connor and Dean can sleep easy, these lads won't be debuting for another seventeen years or so." I laughed.

"Dundee United have been relegated to the First Division and Paul Sturrock's position as manager is in some doubt. DO you harbour any aspirations to manage in the First Division?"

"I can state without a shadow of a doubt that I would love to manage in the First Division next year, but I intend to do that with Edinburgh Thistle."

"You face Raith in the most important game of the season. Do you have any words for manager Billy Stark?"

"I've only met Billy once, and I'm sure he's a gentleman. I must warn Billy though, that the team is really hungry, and I feel we deserve our promotion spot more than the Raith Rovers do. We are a better team from a year ago, and I feel I have improved from last season. We're going to make it very, very tough for our opponents. Thank you."

With the twins playing with a soccer ball in the corner of the room, I put on a Living End CD and settled down to assign training drills for the coming week. Gocha in particular required a lot of physical work in order to be fit for the very important game. My concentration was suddenly shattered - literally - by a cascade of glass exploding in the office.

I leapt across the desk and grabbed the twins, crying and in shock but otherwise unharmed, and ran out the door of my office. "Take the boys, take the boys," I yelled at the secetaries, and then ran back into my office.

There, on the ground barely two metres away from where Sam and Callan had been playing, was a brick wrapped in a Raith Rovers jersey. I ran out of the office and stood in the street, looking in either direction for a possible suspect, but the streets were deserted.

The subsequent police investigation would not find the culprit, although the incident did leave a nasty taste in the mouths of the management of both clubs, with Raith's chairman comdemning the action in the strongest possible terms. The incident took its toll on Sheena as well, and for the first time I was forced to hire a security guard to stand watch outside our home in case of a repeat incident.

Although the issue of promotion was not settled in the other two lower divisions, our division was the only one to feature a direct clash between the two main candidates, and therefore we received a higher exposure in the local media. The fact that there was an attempted attack against my flesh and blood only added to the drama and anticipation amongst football fans. Billy Stark started the mind games by saying that Thistle looked like a shadow of their previous dominant selves. I replied in kind my saying that dear Billy wasn't fit to be a manager in the Third Division, let alone be a candidate for promotion into the First Division.

Billy then continued the games by saying that we were collectively one of the most unfit sides to compete in any division this season, and that our lack of fitness would be the utlimate decider on Saturday. He even went to the extreme lengths of producing an edited highlights video of our fitness - consisting largely of Connor Gethins and Gocha with their hands on their hips after the 5-1 loss to Montrose.

The boys thought the video was simply hilarious. "You know that this means, Skippy?" John Dennis asked me. "Starkie is ******** himself. He knows he doesn't have the team to beat us, so he's just trying to drive a wedge in our camp."

"So what do I say in return?" I asked.

"Take the Sargent Schultz defense - 'I knows nutzhin', and let Billy flounder in the media all by himself."

Saturday, May 17 2007 dawned just like any other day. Wake up at 6:30, play with the twins on the carpet, breakfast with the gorgeous Sheena, shower and shave, pack the lunches (chicken and egg sandwiches, no butter), pack the car, drive to Bowmans Road Stadium at 9:00am to meet with the coaching staff and players, board the team bus to Kircaldy.

On the way, I spent around five minutes talking with each player individually, to calm the nerves of the younger crew, and to focus on the role of the senior players. By the time we arrived at Stark's Park, every Thistle player knew his role.

The players spent another thirty minutes dressing themselves in the sheds, and then went on a final warm-up with John Dennis on the main field during halftime of the reserves game. A final tactical discussion, with a smattering of quotes from luminaries such as Winston Churchill, and it was time to take the field. As Gavin Skelton took the boys onto the field, I felt sure that in the previous six days, there was nothing more that I could have done to prepare Thistle for the game.

The equation was simple - a win or draw would mean promotion. Lose the game, and we lose our slot.

Instead of trying to put the match in my own words, I now present the updates as presented on the Edinburgh Thistle Supporters Club website on that fateful afternoon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">10:00 - Raith have the first decent opportunity of the game with a header going over the post.

11:00 - Dean Walker places a shot wide after good lead-up from Marco Pelosi

18:30 - Gary Dempsey has the Rovers at sixes and sevens but placed the shot well wide

29:00 - Andrew Adam has a shocker of a free shot, with the shot going across the face of goal.

32:36 - GOAL THISTLE - Dean Walker slides a delicate shot past Andy McCondichie's outstretched arm after an excellent pass from Gary Dempsey. Davie O'Connor is still wearing his poker face

38:00 - Davidson blasts a free kick to the left of the goal. Gocha is warming up on the sidelines

40:00 - Raith denied an excellent chance of a goal after Adam Coakley's effort hits the crossbar and is cleared by Gavin Skelton

41:00 - Another chance for Raith blazes over the goalposts.

41:30 - Gocha enters the game in place of Marco Pelosi, who has struggled with the pace of the game

45:30 - The Irish magician, Connor Gethins - who is playing his 100th league game for Thistle today, tries a 30-yard strike but is pretty erratic with his accuracy.

48:00 - HALFTIME - Thistle lead 1-0, and are just 45 minutes away from promotion!

45:00 - Ross O'Donoghue starts the second half

55:00 - The first real chance of the second half belongs to Gocha, after some excellent passing, but his shot is wide

57:00 - GOAL THISTLE - The Irish Magician finds the net! Excellent long range pass from David Bagan finds Gethins with no defenders in front of him, the flags stay down and the ball blazes past the net. O'Connor smiles for just a moment, and gets Markus Paatelainen to warm up

61:00 - Gethins nearly scores yet again, with Gary Dempsey providing the opportunity for a header.

64:00 - Corner to Raith after David Bagan takes the safe option in the face of three Raith attackers. The corner is punched away by Graeme Smith, as Gethins breaks away with the ball. McCondichie parrys the ball, and it will be a Thistle corner. The Raith keeper is yelling at his defenders. Paatelainen enters the game for Dean Walker

67:00 - GOAL RAITH - Coakley makes a break down the sideline, and waits for his attackers to arrive, with the resulting header scored by John Boyle. It is his first goal of the season.

73:00 - Gocha provides clear passage for Gethins, but the Magician's shot on goal is parried away and cleared by the defenders

76:00 - Raith fail to score from a Coakley free kick. Daniel Ferry enters the game for Thistle, with Robbie Horn being pulled from the field. Gethins appears to have a minor strain, but now stays on the field with no more changes possible for Edinburgh

84:00 - Just six minutes to go. The Thistle supporters here are going off!

85:00 - GOAL THISTLE - Mark Dempsey gets the ball from an errant Raith pass and finds Paatelainen, who makes sure of the shot. We are going to the First Division!!!!!

89:00 - David O'Connor is going mental on the sidelines, punching the air. He knows we're through

93:00 - John Brady blows the whistle and its official! We're through! The players have made a huddle in the middle of the field and all the replacements and staff run over to join the heap. Some hardy Thistle supporters have also jumped the fence and are running over the join the action. The bus arrives back at Bowmans Road in approximately three hours. I'll see you there! Go The Thistle! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was stuck in the middle of a huge human sandwich. "It doesn't get any better than this"[/b] exclaimed someone, possibly Gavin Skelton, from underneath me. The celebrations continued off the field, into the dressing sheds, and on the bus trip back to Edinburgh. Back at the stadium, over a thousand supporters were there to greet us. Connor Gethins and Marco Pelosi hammed it up for the cameras, bodysurfing their way over the outstreched arms of the supporters. Despite the fact that we obviously weren't (Stirling had a late draw against Montrose), we sang We Are The Champions over and over and over, never once getting sick of it. Another 25 bottles of champagne were waiting for us on the field of Bowmans Road Stadium, with the party lasting well into the night.

Also celebrating at that very time were the Black and Whites of Gretna, after making it through to the Premier League for the first time. Over in Glasgow, Rangers fans were celebrating their second successive premiership, and calling for Craig Levein to be knighted, whilst Martin O'Neill was facing calls for his sacking from angry fans.

The awards season went by in a flash, with Marco Pelosi, Dean Walker, Gavin Skelton, Graeme Smith and Ross O'Donoghue earning selection in the Second Division Team of the Year. Dean was a deserving runner-up in the Player of the Year award for our division, whilst I finished second to Stirling's Allan Moore in the Manager of the Year.

The season officially ended with a flurry of Cup finals - Sevilla upset Real Madrid to win the UEFA Cup. In an all-Italian Champions League decider, Juventus finally won a final, besting AC Milan on penalties in the final in Rome.

Finally, Kilmarnock claimed the Scottish Cup with a 2-1 win against 2006 champions Motherwell. The Killies have claimed the Cup double for the first time in their history, having earlier won the League Cup.

Three years at Thistle, two promotions, two cup finals, one victory. Not too bad at all.

Gee, my formatting is pretty shonky right there. Sorry about that!

And so onwards to our fourth season - 2007/08

It was no surprise to see Connor Gethins receive the fans' Player of the Year award for the third straight year. The 'Irish Magician' has really taken the fans to heart with his 70 goals in the past three years. Here's hoping that the rich vein of form can continue.

June meant qualifying for Euro 2008, and Scotland didn't really put their best foot forward, drawing 2-2 with Ireland and losing 0-2 to group leaders Holland

Anticipating a huge rise in the standard of the First Division, I thought it was necessary to sign some more gamebreakers to add to our squad, and decided to look well beyond Scotland's sunny shores for the men required. With Bowmans Packages underwriting all of our signings, we added Ederson, a Brazilian attacking midfielder direct from RS Futebol at a fee of $350,000.

David Hay was released on a free transfer, after three years of service as the main back-up goal keeper, being restricted to just seven apperances. We wish him well in finding a new club. John Dillon and Andrew Reid have also been shown the door as we decided to pay the required compensation and let them go on a free transfer. Aberdeen showed some serious interest in Graeme Smith, offering $50,000, but we decided to knock back the offer and stick with the young keeper for a second season, not fully trusting that Cameron Bell would be able to replecate the efforts that Graeme has in the past season, although I intend to mix the two keepers during the trials.

The draws for the cups were held, and we face two relatively easy matches first up - away to Stenhousemuir in the League Cup, and away to Alloa in the Challenge Cup. However, we were quickly dumped out of the Challenge Cup after a surprise defeat.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">28/7 - Alloa 3 Thistle 2

Scorers - Walker 32, 78 (Ross 19 pen, Brighton 37, Cosgrove 55)

Challenge Cup 1st Round</pre>

I doubt whether the bookmakers were influenced by the latest result when calculating their odds for promotion this season, but to give Thistle the huge odds of 150/1 is hardly a vote of confidence. As expected, Dundee United are the hot favourites with odds of 4/6.

Celtic were sensationally knocked out of the Champions League in the second qualifying stage by Loko Plovdiv of Poland 3-2 in the second leg after a scoreless first tie.

August 2007

Bowmans Road Stadium was a sight to behold on the occasion of our first game in the First Division - a near-capacity crowd of 9,483, all cheering and chanting their way through the game. We back from a goal down, and eventually led but ultimately drew 2-2 to mark a good debut against Dundee United.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">4/8 - Thistle 2 Dundee Utd 2

Scorers - Walker 37, Paatelainen 61 (Crawford 33, Scotland 64)

League Position - 4th</pre>

During the week, former player Stephen McManus agreed to rejoin Thistle on a heavy incentive-based contract. The fee payable to his Portugese club was $20,000. McManus will probably slot back into the defensive line, where he previously played 45 games for us.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">11/8 - Partick 3 Thistle 1

Scorers - Gethins 45 (Hinds 7, 51 pen, Howie 81)

League Position - 7th</pre>

We won our first game of the new season with an excellent result at Cappelow Park

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">18/8 - Morton 0 Thistle 2

Scorers - O'Donoghue 13, Dempsey 61

League Position - 5th</pre>

Inverness CT made the long trip down to Bowmans Road and returned empty handed. Connor Gethins scored an outstanding goal, a 60-yard run capped off by a 20-yard strike. Marco Pelosi broke his nose and will miss a week.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">25/8 - Thistle 2 Inverness CT 1

Scorers - Gethins 21, Walker 75 (Juanjo 66)

Table - August 2007 - 4 games played

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1. Ross County 12 +8

2. Dundee Utd 10 +6

3. Clyde 10 +4

4. Partick 9 +8

5. Thistle 7 +1

6. Airdrie Utd 4 -4

7. Stirling 3 -2

8. Hamilton 1 -7

9. Morton 1 -10

10. Inverness CT 0 -5</pre>

September 2007

The League Cup game against Stenhousemuir should have been a good opportunity for our players to play themselves into a bit of form. Unfortunately, they seemed to do exactly the opposite and went down in a very disappointing effort, especially considering the home side were with ten men for half the game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">4/9 - Stenhousemuir 2 Thistle 1

Scorers - Gethins 61 (McNiven 8, Arthurs 23)

League Cup 1st Round</pre>

A comfortable win against Hamilton Academical followed. I'm not sure if I can get used to the two-faced performances of the team thus far this season. When we're good, we're very good. When we are bad, we are horrid. The win establishes a handy buffer between us and the bottom half of the division, with a six point gap already. To be honest, I really don't mind missing out on the cups, as long as we can extend this good league form and really begin to challenge the top teams.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">8/9 - Hamilton 0 Thistle 2

Scorers - Dempsey 11, Gethins 75

We utterly dominated Stirling in our next game, allowing Allan Moore's just two shots on goal. Marco Pelosi and replacement Liam Buchanan scored their first goals of the new season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/9 - Thistle 2 Stirling 0

Scorers - Pelosi 63, Buchanan 90

We were left ruing what could have been when Ross County paid us a visit.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">22/9 - Thistle 3 Ross County 3

Scorers - Ederson 8, 22, Skelton 32 (McStay 12, Higgins 45, 67)

Although I'm not a big believer in holding grudges, it was quite important to me that we beat Clyde. Apart from the Bully Wee being an important opponent and marginally above us on the ladder, there was the small matter of their goalkeeper - Michael McGovern, who once termed my managerial abilities as being 'neanderthalic'. Imagine my immense joy when Markus Paatelainen slotted the winning goal past Mickey!

After being ranked a hot favourite for relegation, Thistle were now riding high in the saddle and despite the early stage of the season, it was quite satisfying to see us going toe for toe with the promotion favourites.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">29/9 - Clyde 1 Thistle 2

Scorers - Walker 7, Paatelainen 88 (Bell 45)</pre>

Table - September 2007 (8 games played)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1. Partick 19 +12

2. Thistle 17 +6

3. Ross County 16 +6

4. Clyde 15 +4

5. Dundee Utd 13 +6

6. Morton 13 +0

7. Airdrie Utd 6 -8

8. Stirling 5 -7

9. Inverness CT 5 -4

10. Hamilton 3 -14</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Scottish Football News

It is only September and already there is just one Scottish team still in European competition. Following Celtic's stunning exit from the Champions League last month, Kimarnock and Dundee have failed to make the group stage of the UEFA Cup. The Killies lost 3-6 on aggregrate to Liverpool, whilst Dundee were unlucky to be eliminated on away goals against Greek side PAOK.

Partick Thistle will defend their Challenge Cup title in the final against Clyde. The game will be played in early November at Hampden Park. It is Clyde's first apperance in a cup final since 1958. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

October 2007

Smiles all round at Bowmans Road Stadium, with Ederson winning the Player of the Month award slightly ahead of Ross O'Donoghue. Another midfielder figured prominently in the Young Player of the Month, with Marco Pelosi finishing first runner-up. Just to top it off, I was a runner-up in the Manager of the Month, being slightly shaded by Morton's Jim McInally.

We had two weeks off before our first game of the month at New Broomfield, but it was certainly worth the wait, with Dean Walker bagging a double in a man-of-the-match performance. Partick Thistle's unexpected loss to Clyde meant we were sitting on top of the table for the first time this season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">13/10 - Airdrie Utd 0 Thistle 2

Scorers - Walker 27, 71

League Position - 1st</pre>

Ahead of the Dundee United clash, we suffered a setback with Ross O'Donoghue and Gavin Skelton ruled out for at least two weeks each. Kieran McAnespie is promoted back into the side to cover Ross's loss in the midfield, whilst Kevin McMullan and David McClune will be considered for the vacant defenders slot.

Regardless of the losses in personell, we kept our excellent form going with a fabulous display at Tannadice Park. Thistle were now three points clear at the top, with a home game against second-placed Partick in the following week. Great times to be a Thistle fan.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">20/10 - Dundee Utd 0 Thistle 2

Scorers - Gethins 18, Ederson 25

Even though we were barely ten games into the season, the Partick game was already of vital importance. Should we be lucky enough to win, it would create a substantal gap between us and the rest of the division. The psychological benefits would also be enourmous. Even though most of the media focuses on Partick's superior playing credentials - we had very few players that would be considered 'household names' in Scotland, and we were in just our fourth season - I desperately wanted to win the game and send out a message to the rest of the country.

If we do in fact qualify for the Scottish Premier League next season, this will forever go down as the game where Edinburgh Thistle stood up and made a statement in the best possible way:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">27/10 - Thistle 4 Partick 1

Scorers - Conroy 14, Ederson 25, Paatelainen 60, Walker 66 (Hinds 43)

A magnificent win, in front of a capacity crowd. The only downside was the sending off of Daniel Ferry, who received two yellow cards within five minutes of coming on late in the game.

The table after eleven games was a sight to behold:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1. Thistle 26 +13

2. Partick 20 +8

3. Morton 20 +2

4. Ross County 19 +5

5. Clyde 18 +5

6. Dundee Utd 16 +5

7. Inverness CT 10 -5

8. Stirling 9 -6

9. Airdrie Utd 7 -12

10. Hamilton 7 -15</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Scottish Football News

Euro 2008 qualifiers decided

After a tough qualifying schedule, the fourteen teams joining Austria and Switzerland in the Euro 2008 tournament have finally been decided.

Sweden survived a tough challenge from the Czech Republic to top Group A. The surprise packet of the group was Luxembourg, who topped Latvia and Cyprus to finish fourth.

Portugal and Belgium qualified with ease from Group B, although Bosnia kept things interesting and dominated the rest of the group, which included Finland.

As expected, Italy skated through Group C undefeated, with Russia progressing to the playoffs. Holland only conceded one goal in ten games and had a perfect record in claiming Group D, with defending champions Greece moving to the playoffs.

The real upset of the qualifying was in Group E, where Albania qualifed for their first ever major tournament, sealing the number one position with a 3-2 win against Serbia, who now face a playoff. Turkey, who were World Cup semi-finalists in 2002, and eliminated from the 2006 tournament after three scoreless draws, have failed to qualify.

The remainder of the groups went largely to form, with one exception. France claimed Group F, England won Group G despite a strong challenge from Bulgaria, and Spain outclassed Romania and Wales in Group I. The exception was in Group H, where Poland hammering Germany 3-1 in the decisive game at Chorzow to advance straight to the Euro 2008 tournament.

The playoffs are as follows:

Greece v Russia

Germany v Bulgaria

Croatia v Czech Republic

Romania v Serbia

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

November 2007

A fantastic start to the new month, and some more recognition for our feats in the league. David Cowan was announced as the Player of the Month, whilst I earned my first Manager of the Month award since April 2005.

Morton made the trip to Bowmans Road and managed a late equaliser. The game extended our undefeated run to ten games, the longest such streak since our Third Division days.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">3/11 - Thistle 1 Morton 1

Scorers - D.Walker 53 pen (J.Walker 77)

Craig Brewster beccame the first manager casualty in our division when he was axed by Inverness Caledonian Thistle. The smart money is on Colin Calderwood returning north of the border from Northampton Town to manage. On the same day, Clyde beat Partick Thistle in the final of the Challenge Cup, the first title for Dave Mosson's men since the Second Division championship of 2000.

The competition went into recess for a fortnight due to the international schedule, which included the playoffs for the four final slots in Euro 2008, which were duly claimed by Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece and Serbia. Incredibly, Germany will not be present after losing 2-0 to Bulgaria in Berlin and 3-0 in Sofia.

On a dark, wet, windy way up in Inverness, we managed to pull off quite a good win in Colin Calderwood's debut as the new Caley manager.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">17/11 - Inverness CT 1 Thistle 3

Scorers - Gethins 17, Walker 68, 79 pen (Juanjo 1)

We lost our unbeaten record in a scrappy game against Hamilton Academical. Worrying, Connor Gethins had to be pulled off the field after fracturing a few ribs. We won't be seeing any more of the Irish Wizard until January 2008.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">24/11 - Thistle 0 Hamilton 1

Scorers - (Shiels 48)

League Position - 1st

Table - November 2007 (14 games played)

1.  Thistle     30 +14

2. Partick 25 +9

3. Morton 25 +4

4. Ross County 24 +6

5. Dundee Utd 23 +10

6. Clyde 22 +5</pre>

Ah crap! Can someone fix that last post up, pretty please? Lets hope we get to Page 3 quickly...

December 2007

Ederson continues to earn the respect of the media and his peers, and cemented his position as an important player for Thistle with another award - this time, the Young Player of the Month.

We played like rubbish against Stirling, which takes nothing away from the performance of our opponents. However, to only steal a late draw against nine men was a bitterly disappointing result.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1/12 - Stirling 1 Thistle 1

Scorers - Buchanan 90 (Lyle 31)

We returned to form with an expected victory against Airdrie United at Bowmans Road Stadium. However, the win came at a cost with Marco Pelosi joining Gethins on the sidelines with fractured ribs. Our player depth will now be tested, with a mounting injury toll.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">8/12 - Thistle 2 Airdrie Utd 1

Scorers - Skelton 42, Walker 69 (Dunn 75)

Ross County defended their home fort well and came away with a deserved victory. The result means that Morton have now drawn level on points with us at the top of the table.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/12 - Ross County 2 Thistle 1

Scorers - Paatelainen 34 (Kerr 43, McLaughlin 79)

The draw for the third round of the Scottish Cup was held, with the Old Firm being drawn against each other with the first two balls of the draw. We've drawn defending champions Kilmarnock, with the match being the third occasion we've played a Premier League team.

We earned three valuable points against Clyde in a committed team effort. The game attracted yet another sell-out crowd of nearly 10,000. Should we qualify for the Premier League next season, I doubt that the number of seats will match the interest of the Edinburgh public. Starting from nothing four years ago, we've come quite a long way and although we hardly have the following of Hearts or Hibs, we are still attracting our own committed troop of followers. I've formally asked the Bowmans Packages board to consider stadium expansion for the following season, and will expect an answer within a couple of weeks.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">22/12 - Thistle 2 Clyde 1

Scorers - Walker 13, Dempsey 51 (Carcary 84)

In the annual Boxing Day match, we were dethroned from the top of the table by the giant-killing Dundee United with a goal five minutes from time, much to the disappointment of the sold-out crowd. In a positive, Connor Gethins returned to the top side, although he was largely ineffective.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">26/12 - Thistle 0 Dundee Utd 1

Scorers - (Wilson 85)

League Position - 2nd</pre>

The boys had a chance to keep up with new league leaders Morton with a victory against Partick Thistle, but were unable to capitalise on a good start, and eventually sent all three points down the toilet. A very disappointing result, and probably a sign that the tough schedule is taking its toll on the team.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">29/12 - Partick 2 Thistle 1

Scorers - Gethins 12 (Escalas 75, 86)

Although we keep our second position, the bad news is that there are now five teams vying for the one promotion position. In our final meeting of the year, I couldn't stress enough to the players that 2008 would by a very important season, and that we still had our destiny in our own hands. Ominously, our first game of the new year would be against league leaders Morton.

Table - December 2007 (20 games played)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1. Morton 38 +8

2. Thistle 37 +13

3. Ross County 36 +11

4. Dundee Utd 35 +14

5. Partick 35 +10</pre>

And what of the state of Scottish football at the end of 2007?

The national side spluttered yet again in European qualification, despite having a very achieveable goal of finishing second in their group behind giants Holland. Walter Smith's men could ultimately finish ahead of only Estonia and Leichtenstien. Attention now turns to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Scotland have drawn Spain, Romania, Ukraine, Armenia and Moldova in a challenging group.

The Scottish U21 side showed far more promise, qualifying for the 2008 European U21 Championship to be held in Italy, where they have drawn France, Russia and Germany. After narrowly failing to advance past the pool stage in the previous tournament, we will follow the progress of the team with great interest.

The Scottish U19s have also experienced success, and have made it to the final qualification round of the European U19 tournament, but face a big challenge to get past France, Russia and the Ukraine.

After finishing dead last for the past four seasons, East Stirling have hit a rich vein of form and currently sit second in the Third Division. Peterhead head the division by some considerable margin and look certain to bounce straight back into the Second Division.

The Second Division is far more interesting, with seven teams within five points of the competition lead. At this stage, the only certainty is that the eventual two promoted teams are still uncertain!

Gretna have made a brilliant start to life in the Premier League and sit in fourth position at the end of the season. Rangers' bid for a hatrick of titles is currently on the back burner with Celtic leading the division by seven points. Queen of the South continue to survive in the top flight, and are six points ahead of currently-last Motherwell, who have only finished in the top half of the SPL once since 1995.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle are making a charge to the League Cup final, but face a tough challenge at Ibrox in the semi-final. The other semi-final sees Falkirk face up against Dundee.

Attendances in the Premier League are excellent at present, with only Falkirk, Queen of the South and Gretna averging below 10,000 spectators per game. With a new stadium rumoured to be in the pipeline, it is difficult to see how Gretna can survive in the long term in the SPL with crowds of only 2,000 at Raydale Park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's my last update for a little while, as I'll be off teaching in remote Oostraylia for the next two-three weeks. Apologies again for the dodgy formatting (I'm doing the formatting as I write it, and obviously need to check it a bit better). Hope everyone is enjoying the story, and I'll be back with a whole stack of updates in future! - Bowman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bowman4NQ:

Just a request - can a moderator or someone else with similar powers please fix up the formatting in the 'August 2006' post? The page is far too wide otherwise and difficult to read. Thanks - B </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bowman - you should post this request in the Mod Request Thread to get it actioned.

Thank you BobBev and Terk - I didn't realise there was a post for such requests. Cheers icon14.gif

Well, I managed to fit a bit more in last night. Some more updates...

January 2008

The first game of the new year would arguably be one of our most important - win, and we are still alive. Lose, and we will possibly spend the remainder of the season treading water, neither seeking promotion nor avoiding relegation.

The first half was controversal, with the referee diplomatically awarding both sides a penalty, which were duly converted. The second half was a mad scramble between two teams eager to seek the three points and ownership of the top spot in the First Division. Daniel Ferry looked to have scored the match winner after Connor Gethins blocked a goal kick, but the touch judge already had his flag in the air. Finally, with the game heading into injury time, Ferry atoned for his earlier miss and slotted home the winner. Thistle were top of the league once more!

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">5/1 - Morton 1 Thistle 2

Scorers - Paatelainen 22 pen, Ferry 90 (Keith 44 pen)

There were absolutely no pressure in our next game, as defending champions Kilmarnock came to town for our Scottish Cup clash. The sellout crowd would have been absolutely delighted with the halftime score, with the Killies trailing by two goals. The scene descended into chaos when Connor Gethins slotted home the sealer with an hour elapsed on the clock. The atmosphere at the ground was sensational, with all manner of trumpets and cowbells adding to an utter cacophony whenever we pressed on the goal. With Ross O'Donoghue and Gavin Skelton rested for the game, stand-in captain Mark Dempsie performed brilliantly and fully deserved the Man of the Match award.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/1 - Thistle 3 Kilmarnock 0

Scorers - Walker 10, Dempsie 44, Gethins 60

Scottish Cup 3rd Round</pre>

After the game, we found that our next opponents in the cup would be Stirling Albion, who were at the time seventh in the First Division. With a win in that game, we would progress through to the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup for the first time ever.

Following an injury to reserve goalkeeper Cameron Bell, 16-year old Alan Ramsay became the first ever Thistle junior to be named in the top team. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to use him against Inverness CT. However, the intensity levels of the rest of the team were not as high as they were for the Killies game, and we deservedly lost to a more committed side. Back to square one with promotion.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">19/1 - Thistle 1 Inverness CT 2

Scorers - Gethins 86 (Keogh 65, Prunty 75)

After such a performance, what Thistle really needed was a dogfight to earn the three points. Happily, the kind people of Hamilton Academical were only too happy to oblige in a game where the points were only secured in the final moments. A most entertaining game, and pleasing to observe the mettle of players such as Ryan Conroy when the blowtorch was being applied. Ryan has been attracting the eye of several clubs in our division, with a concrete offer from Tannadice Park for his services. Whilst he is a prodigal talent, Marco Pelosi is entrenched in his position, leaving Ryan largely on the bench for now. Still, having such depth at the club can only be a good thing...for now.

Ross County's draw against Partick means we head the table again, albeit on goal difference only.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">26/1 - Hamilton 1 Thistle 3

Scorers - Dempsey 8, Walker 63 pen, Gethins 90 (Hodge 21 pen)

Rangers will play Dundee in the League Cup final on March 16 after two entertaining semi-finals. Dundee hammered Falkirk 3-0 with two goals inside the final ten minutes, whilst the Gers came back from a goal down - twice - to pip Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3-2.

Rangers previously won the tournament in 2006, whilst Dundee fans have waited 34 years since they last lifted the trophy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

February 2008

The month began with two vital games against Stirling, both at Bowmans Road Stadium.

The first encounter was an absolute thrashing in the league, with all of our major attacking weapons playing well. The midfield in particular seemed to gel really well, with the combinations on the wings giving us a big edge over the opposition.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">2/2 - Thistle 4 Stirling 1

Scorers - Walker 13, Gethins 21, Paatelainen 62, Dempsey 67 (Brazil 15)

After 24 games

1. Thistle 46 +18

2. Ross County 46 +15

3. Dundee Utd 40 +15

4. Partick 42 +11

5. Morton 39 +4 </pre>

After the game, last-placed Hamilton Academical sacked Allan Maitland as their manager, with Billy Stark, formerly of Queens Park, St Johnstone and Raith being touted as the likely replacement. This would be confirmed in a matter of weeks.

The second game was of no less importance, as it was the fourth round clash in the Scottish Cup. As before, the gold and blue army were out in force, complete with cowbells, inflatable hammers and - perhaps as a nod to the club's owners - with cardboard boxes for hats! Our discipline was starting to creep up on us, however, with seven players facing the prospect of suspension in future cup games if they received one card in this game.

In the end, it was an easy victory, although I fear I haven't done Allan Moore's job security any favours.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">9/2 - Thistle 3 Stirling 0

Scorers - Dempsey 40, Pelosi 67, Paatelainen 68

Scottish Cup 4th Round</pre>

In a dream encounter, we will face our 'other' Edinburgh rivals Hibs in the quarterfinal, which will be played at Easter Road Park. Confidence in our camp is sky high at the moment, but I'm wary that our confidence will be the undoing of us in our very next league game, as we often seem to lose immediately after an important victory.

My fears were to be realised, although we remained on top thanks to Ross County's first loss in fourteen games.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">13/2 - Airdrie Utd 1 Thistle 0

Scorers - Conway 32

1. Thistle 46 +17

2. Ross County 46 +14

3. Dundee Utd 43 +16

4. Partick 42 +10

5. Morton 42 +5</pre>

It may sound like a tired cliche, but the next game would potentially be the most decisive of the whole season. Ross County at Bowmans Road. The game went to script until the 50th minute, when Ederson earned his second yellow card and an early shower. The team tired considerably as a result and could not sustain the relentless wave of attack from the County, who eventually won the game.

The result sees us tumble two places down the ladder in what is a very tight division.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">16/2 - Thistle 1 Ross County 2

Scorers - Walker 45 (McStay 72, 77)

1. Ross County 49 +15

2. Dundee Utd 46 +18

3. Thistle 46 +16

4. Morton 45 +6

5. Partick 43 +10</pre>

Clyde sacked manager Dave Mosson and replaced him with Sandy Stewart with unimpeachable haste. However, despite the off-field instability, we had to work very hard for our one point, with the equaliser only coming in the final minutes.

We seem to have dropped the ball somewhat, with just one competition point from our last nine games, leaving the door open for the rest of the competition.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">23/2 - Clyde 1 Thistle 1

Scorers - Gethins 86 (Hislop 66)

1. Ross County 49 +14

2. Morton 48 +7

3. Thistle 47 +16

4. Dundee Utd 46 +16

5. Partick 46 +12</pre>

March 2007

The month started on a horrible, horrible note. Five months of effort and toil, possibly all down the toilet in the space of 20 minutes. To be honest though, I'm not sure if the final score was a reflection of the way we played, or the way Dundee United played. Either way, it wasn't a pleasant bus trip back to Edinburgh. With six seperate scorers, everything the Arabs did turned to gold.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1/3 - Dundee Utd 6 Thistle 1

Scorers - Gethins 49 (Templeman 33, Robson 37, Scotland 68, Reid 69, Wilson 78, Crawford 90)

1. Dundee Utd 49 +11

2. Ross County 49 +13

3. Morton 49 +7

4. Thistle 47 +11

5. Partick 46 +11</pre>

After congratulating Tony Sturrock on his fine victory, I told the lads there was no point in dwelling over the loss. We simply had to look ahead to the next mountain - a quarter-final at Easter Road Park.

And for a while, it seemed as though we were back in form. With three minutes left in the game, we were ahead by 3-0. What happened next defied explaination, and left our supporters in stunned silence as the Hibees erupted in celebration.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">8/3 - Hibernian 3 Thistle 3

Scorers - Gethins 16, 29, Paatelainen 61 pen (Dobbie 87, 89, Thomson 90)

Scottish Cup Quarter-Final</pre>

I tried to put a brave spin on proceedings, but to no avail. It was virtually a Hibs win - "Thistle clinch defeat from the jaws of victory" was one headline in the Scotsman. The mood of the dressing shed was shattering, with Graeme Smith in particular a dejected mess. We had let a golden ticket to the semis slip right past us - and we had to face a replay in a matter of days, with all the momentum resting with the Hibees.

The replay came and went by in a blur, and although the score on the board was close, Hibs dominated proceedings from start to finish, and the hero from the first game fittingly saw them into a semi-final against Motherwell.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/3 - Thistle 2 Hibernian 3

Scorers - Ederson 21, McManus 65 (Riordan 26, Thomson 42, Dobbie 87)

Scottish Cup Quarter-Final Replay</pre>

It was quite possibly the worst fortnight in the history of the club.

Naturally, we were devestated at not making the Scottish Cup semi-finals, but we had to quickly put the result in the rear-vision mirror, as we were facing off against third-placed Morton in a matter of days. We almost capitulated in this game as well, although Mark Dempsie was able to steer us home. God knows what the win will do for team morale. Nonetheless, the team is starting to get very tired and fatigued by the stress of the season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/3 - Thistle 4 Morton 2

Scorers - Paatelainen 33, 48, Ederson 68, Dempsie 86 (Keith 9, Gillett 81)

1. Dundee Utd 55 +24 (30)

2. Ross County 55 +17 (30)

3. Thistle 50 +13 (29)

4. Morton 49 +7 (30)

5. Partick 47 +11 (29)</pre>

Just as our season seemed to be back on track - sort of - the season of another side was well and truly over, with Hamilton Academical relegated after their sixteenth straight game without a win, which ironically was against us in late November.

Sensation in Edinburgh today as well, with John Robertson getting the axe from Hearts despite the side sitting fifth in the Premier League. Were expectations too high at Tynecastle?

Dundee blew an early lead to eventually lose 2-1 to Rangers in the League Cup final. It is Rangers' 25th success in the competition, and their fifth in the past decade.

In the meanwhile, we placed ourselves firmly back in the title chase with a smashing victory against Partick Thistle. Markus Paatelainen became just the second player to score a hatrick of goals for Thistle, with Connor Gethins already achieving the feat on four occasions. Unfortunately for Gerry Britton, the bad loss sealed his fate as manager, being asked to clear his desk a matter of hours after the result.

However, the result was good for us - probably the footballing equilivent of primal scream therapy, after the Hibernian fiasco.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">19/3 - Thistle 4 Partick 0

Scorers - Walker 23, Paatelainen 47, 55, 85 pen

After 30 games

1. Dundee Utd 55 +24

2. Ross County 55 +17

3. Thistle 53 +17

4. Morton 49 +7

5. Partick 47 +7</pre>

Caley Thistle denied us full points with their fine performance in our game at Caledonian Stadium.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">22/3 - Inverness CT 1 Thistle 1

Scorers - Walker 33 (Chesnauskis 53)

After 31 games

1. Dundee Utd 58 +26

2. Ross County 55 +16

3. Thistle 54 +17

4. Partick 50 +8

5. Morton 49 +3</pre>

Hearts secured something of a coup when they announced that Roberto Carlos would be their new manager. Obviously they hope that some of the Brazilian's spark can rub off on the side and take them to the next level.

Despite the strength of the opposition, it was still pleasing to boost our goal difference with a big victory against Hamilton.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">29/3 - Thistle 3 Hamilton 0

Scorers - Ederson 25, Walker 49, 88

After 32 games

1. Dundee Utd 61 +29

2. Thistle 57 +20

3. Ross County 56 +16

4. Partick 51 +8</pre>

Time is running out.

April 2008

Markus Paatelainen was a deserved winner of the Player of the Month award, and is emerging as a viable option as starting forward, although Connor Gethins and Dean Walker continue to pile up the goals.

Although we have just four games left in the season, the schedule dictates that they are played over a period of six weeks, with international fixtures and cup games leaving us with plenty of vacant weekends. With a tired squad, it's probably not a bad thing for us to have the breaks, although should we slip up early, it will be a long end to the season for us.

Third-placed Ross County were our first opponents of the month, and we were unable to walk away with the required three points. It seems that promotion is almost a certantity for Dundee United now, and to top things off, today they upset Celtic to advance to the Scottish Cup final for the first time since 1994. Hibs accounted for Motherwell in the other semi, prompting thoughts of what could have been from our supporters.

Dundee United won their midweek game against Stirling to skip two games clear with three to play.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/4 - Ross County 1 Thistle 1

Scorers - Gethins 82 (Campbell 61 pen)

After 33 games

1. Dundee Utd 64 +30

2. Thistle 58 +20

3. Ross County 56 +13

4. Partick 53 +10</pre>

I couldn't believe how well we played in the next game against Stirling. We were on fire! The last fifteen minutes in particular were good to see, with the lads never giving up even when the result was in the bag. The five-goal glut was also great for our differential, and things just get better after Dundee United's 2-0 loss to Airdrie United.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">19/4 - Stirling 0 Thistle 5

Scorers - Gethins 12, Walker 77, Paatelainen 79, 87, Conroy 86

After 34 games

1. Dundee Utd 64 +28

2. Thistle 61 +25

3. Ross County 59 +15</pre>

The charge to promotion continued with an excellent win against Airdrie United in our next-to-last game of the season. Dundee United hammered Ross County 3-0 in their game to keep the momentum well and truly with themselves, and assuring us of at least second spot in our first season in the First Division.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">3/5 - Thistle 2 Airdrie Utd 0

Scorers - O'Donoghue 34, Paatelainen 64

After 35 games

1. Dundee Utd 67 +31

2. Thistle 64 +27</pre>

To be promoted, we must beat Clyde, and Dundee Utd must lose to Partick, and the combined margins must be at least four goals.

Super Saturday

Whenever there's life, there's hope.

That was the message I drummed into the lads during training this week. Promotion wasn't a given for Dundee United, we were still alive, all we needed was a bit of application, skill - and most importantly, luck.

Michael McGovern's Clyde would be our opponents on the fateful day. How ironic that the only thing (besides the Terrors) standing between us and the Premier League was the one individual that said we'd never make it. That I'd never make it.

As is the custom, all the league games were played at the same time. I dispatched a scout up to Tannadice Park to provide up-to-the-moment score updates, should things go pear-shaped up there. However, I wasn't losing too much sleep over the whole game. Second place in our first stab at First Division was a darn sight higher than most pundits thought we'll finish, and on the whole it was an outstanding season, Hibs capitulation or not.

After 17 minutes, Alan Archibald scored the first goal of the day at Tannadice Park for the locals.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Live table

1. Dundee Utd 70 +32

2. Thistle 65 +27</pre>

After half an hour, Partick had hit the equaliser, restoring the status quo.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1. Dundee Utd 68 +31

2. Thistle 65 +27

</pre>

After 38 minutes, Ederson set up the first goal of the day at Bowmans Road with a decisive break down the left side, and a cross inside to Dean Walker, who scored a brilliant diving header past McGovern

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1. Dundee Utd 68 +31

2. Thistle 67 +28</pre>

The signal for halftime duly came, with promotion to the Premier League still very much an open question. The 9,357 supporters at the stadium were on their feet, clapping and stapping, although mindful of the huge task still facing Thistle.

Six minutes into the second half, we received our first update from scout Paul Aitkens up at Tannadice Park. The score was quickly relayed over the loudspeaker system at Bowmans Road. The supporters gasped for a moment, and then erupted into a wall of sound.

"Ladies and gentlemen, after 51 minutes at Tannadice Park, the score is Dundee United 1, Partick Thistle.........3."

1. Dundee United 67 +29

2. Thistle 67 +28</pre>

Just one more goal, I kept thinking. One more goal. Our superior goalscoring record would hold us in good stead should our goal difference end up tied.

The game at Bowmans Road went from end to end, with both sets of forwards seeking opportunities to score. As the hour mark elapsed, another score drifted in from up north.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Partick have scored again. Edinburgh Thistle currently occupy the promotion slot into the 2008/09 Scottish Premier League."

Another ten minutes passed, with Dean Walker having two excellent chances on goal. Then the crowd started chanting. I couldn't make out what it was at first, and had to ask John Dennis what it was.

"They're chanting 'Adam Strachan', Skip. Partick have scored another two goals. It's six bloody goals to one!"

My heart skipped a beat. We were twenty minutes from promotion, if only we could keep Clyde scoreless.

"Tell the boys to close the bloody thing down," I impored Ryan Conroy as I prepared to send him on the field. Marco Pelosi came off the field to a cascade of cheers.

17 minutes to go. Keeping to instructions, the boys started to play in Clyde's half of the field and wind the clock down. Each goal kick of McGovern's was being fielded by our own players and promptly recycled down the other end of the field.

Connor Gethins had a very good chance in the 76th minute but McGovern parried it to safety.

Twelve minutes to go, and Gethins had another shot which whistled over the goalposts.

"This bloody tension is killing me," I cursed.

Eleven minutes to go, and Martin Smith is in the clear for the visitors. The crowd rises to their feet, Graeme Smith rushes out of his box....and the whistle goes. Offside!

Ten minutes....Ross O'Donoghue gives away a free kick around thirty yards out. Gavin Skelton kicks the ball high into the stands, far away from the Clyde attackers.

Nine minutes to go....Martin Smith has the ball again, and fires a shot into Graeme Smith. The ball deflects away, and is picked up by Gavin Skelton, who is promptly swamped by the two Bully Wee forwards. Ryan Conroy is free! A deft pass down the left touchline, and Conroy is away. A short pass to Dean Walker, and a tap to Gethins, and the Irish Magician is free in the penalty box. He rounds Potter, and has Michael McGovern in his sights.

Gethins shoots........

GOAL

"Holy snapping ducks eggs," I muttered to myself. The stadium erupted in a scene of mass orgasmic excitement. The Irish Magician pulls another rabbit out of his hat, and is running in front of the Thistle team bench.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhoooooooooooooooo" is all Connor had to say to me as he was chased by nine of his teammates.

The crowd were clapping and stomping, and eventually fell into synchopation....CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP. The only thing that could sink us now were two late Clyde goals.

Kevin McMullan was given the nod for the final moments of the game, with David Cowan picking up a slight niggle.

Stephen Donnelly looked at his watch, looked for the nearest exit, and blew his whistle. Fulltime.

"Edinburgh Thistle have won promotion to the Scottish Premier League" bellowed the loudspeaker, just as the first strains of 'A Sort of Homecoming' were being belted out.

I raised my arms in jubilant celebration. Four years had passed, and already we were in the Scottish Premier League, replacing Motherwell. The players pogo-jumped as a huddle, and eventually were joined by around a thousand supporters who jumped the fence and got past the security guards. The scene was one of utter, joyful chaos.

After five minutes of shaking hands with virtually every Thistle supporter, we were able to get a ring of policemen to surround the players and have a stage erected in front of the main grandstand. Virtually every player spoke for a few minutes, with a few adjectives finding their way into the speeches, and then it was my turn to speak.

"I'd like to start by paying tribute to the Edinburgh Thistle squad this season. A fantastic team!" (loud cheers) "What a great side. Graeme Smith, a wonderful keeper. I hope you'll stay with us Graeme, and I know at least ten thousand people who want you to." (loud cheers) "The defenders, led by our captain, Gavin Skelton and vice captain Mark Dempsie." (loud cheers) "The midfielders deserve a lot of praise. Ross O'Donoghue has been here since day one, and has been outstanding. Marco Pelosi..." (loud cheers) "Gary Dempsey, Ederson..." (huge cheers) "You've all be fantastic. Now for the forwards" (loud cheers) "Dean Walker, our leading goalscorer for this fantastic season." (loud cheers) "And the Irish Magician!" (loud, sustained cheers)

"I've left out plenty of players, but you all deserve a huge pat on the back. I'd like to thank all of the support staff, including assistant manager John Dennis." (loud cheers) "Bowmans Packages built this team from the ground up and we owe them our thanks as well." (loud cheers) "And I can't finish today without thanking my lovely wife of seven years, Sheena," (huge cheers) "And my two mascots, Sam and Callan." (loud cheers)

"Last but not least, thanks to all of you, the supporters. We play for you" (huge cheers) "I believe the First Division trophy is still up at Tannadice Park, where they're trying to cut the black and orange streamers off it in time." (cheers, laughter) "Thanks a lot, and we'll see you next year".

"Daaaaaaaaaaad. Callan hit me."

"Did not." "Did so!"

"Go and tell your mother, Sam, Daddy's got a headache."

I rolled over, and immediately regretted it. My head felt as though it had a football boot wedged between the ears. So this is what it's like to die, I thought. I am dead. We really didn't win. Dundee United didn't drop five goals at home. I'll wake up, and half the team will be requesting transfers, Sheena will be homesick, and there'll be five hundred angry supporters camped outside my house asking for my scalp.

The sizzle of bacon and eggs cooking drifted into the room. The twins - now nearly three - were still arguing. I picked up the mobile phone next to my bed and turned it on.

84 new messages.

Nearly every significant figure in my past four years at Thistle had rung me up to leave their best wishes. David Sturridge phoned shortly after his head gave up the top promotion slot. Rowan Alexander rang to ask if I remembered the days when Gretna and Thistle were slugging it out in the Third Division. Allan Maitland and Allan Moore also left messages of support, as did Tony Mowbray, who was preparing his Hibs side for a Scottish Cup final.

I stumbled into the living room. A stack of newspapers were assembled in a neat pile on the kitchen table. Thistle Magic! screamed one headline. A Sort Of Miracle was another. Football Gods Smile On Thistle, Sensational Saturday, etcetera, etcetera.

"Good afternoon, love," smiled Sheena as she piled an obsence amount of bacon and eggs on my plate. "The phone's off the hook. Thought you'd like some peace and quite."

"Ohhhhh, you're not wrong," I groaned as I devoured the offerings. "Any messages?

"You need to ring Bowmans Packages, as soon as you can. It's not that urgent, but I think your grandad wants to congratulate you on the promotion."

Later speaking with the Chairman of the Board, otherwise known as Grandad, I found out that I was getting a $10 million transfer budget for the following season.

"David, you've done an extraordinary job. You now deserve some extraordinary funding. You'll get your new stadium, and another upgrade to the training facilities, and now you'll have the money to upgrade the team in any way you wish."

I was stunned, to say the least. This time yesterday, we were clinging on to mathematical hopes of promotion. Now we were actually there, and discussing transfer budgets in the millions of dollars.

I had hoped for a proper holiday, a break away from the grind of Scottish football, but it was not to be, as I had to start virtually straight away on filling out the Thistle squad for our inaugural Premier League campaign.

Off Season News

Craig Levein has been appointed as the new manager of Scotland. With two Premier League titles and two League Cups, he really was the only choice for the position.

France defeated Portugal 2-0 in the final of the Euro 2008 tournament.

We made only a few signings during the off-season, with Dutch defender Wouter Artz signing from Feyenoord, David Dunn rejoining the team from Dunfermline, and Craig Wilson, captain of the championship-winning Scottish U21 team joining us from Partick.

Gavin Skelton was understandably a little upset at the signing of Artz but I have promised him, as captain of the side, first crack at the left defender position. Gavin's versatility in playing in the midfield is also an advantage for us.

We've said goodbye to Robbie Horn, Lee Hardy, Paul McManus and Gocha, who have all been released on free transfers after spending precious little time between them on the field in 2007/08.

Our stadium expansion plans have also been approved, with the new 15,000 seater stadium to be finished in mid-November. The capacity will be reduced to 8,461 in the meanwhile. The first game at the 'new' Bowmans Road Stadium will be against Rangers on November 22.

Our first season (hopefully there will be many more) in the Premier League starts on August 2 with a match up the road at Hearts, followed by two games against the Old Firm.

A realistic target for us this season would be to just avoid relegation. I'm certainly not anticipating a big tilt at the title.

Edinburgh Thistle Squad

2008/09 Scottish Premier League

Part One - The Keepers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

1. Graeme Smith

Goalkeeper, 25 years old

Joined Thistle - July 24 2006

Previous Teams - Rangers, Ross County, Falkirk, Clyde

Thistle Career - 87 games, 96 goals conceded, 29 clean sheets, 7 MOM awards

13. Cameron Bell

Goalkeeper, 21 years old

Joined Thistle - June 13 2006

Previous Teams - Kilmarnock, Peterhead

Thistle Career - 3 (3) games, 9 goals conceded, 1 clean sheet, 1 MOM award

Alan Ramsay

Goalkeeper, 17 years old

Joined Thistle - 2007/08 season

Previous Teams - Nil

Thistle Career - Yet to play for Thistle

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Part Two - The Defenders

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. David Cowan

Defender/Midfielder (Right), 26 years old

Joined Thistle - June 13 2006

Previous Teams - Newcastle (England), Motherwell, St Johnstone, Dumbarton, Stranraer

Thistle Career - 86 games, 6 assists, 1 MOM award

3. Wouter Artz

Defender/Defensive Midfielder (Left), 23 years old

Joined Thistle - June 1 2008

Previous Teams - Feyenoord (Holland), Excelsior (Holland)

4. Gavin Skelton

Defender/Midfielder (Left)

Joined Thistle - August 27 2004

Previous Teams - Gretna

Thistle Career - 152 games, 8 goals, 25 assists, 6 MOM awards

5. Mark Dempsie

Defender (Centre), 27 years old

Joined Thistle - June 5 2005

Previous Teams - Hibernian, Raith, St Mirren, Dumbarton

Thistle Career - 114 (4) games, 2 goals, 4 assists, 2 MOM awards

12. David Dunn

Defender (Centre), 24 years old

Joined Thistle (first time) - August 28 2004 (original squad member)

Joined Thistle (second time) - June 25 2008

Previous Teams - Hearts, Forfar, Kilmarnock

Thistle Career - 22 (3) games, 1 goal, 1 assist

20. David McClune

Defender/Midfielder (Right)

Joined Thistle (first time) - July 31 2004 (original member)

Joined Thistle (second time) - January 5 2007

Previous Teams - St Johnstone, Forfar, Falkirk

Thistle Career - 65 (6) games, 4 assists, 3 MOM awards

21. Stephen McManus

Defender (Centre), 25 years old

Joined Thistle (first time) - January 14 2005

Joined Thistle (second time) - August 5 2007

Previous Teams - Celtic, Futebol Club Pacos de Ferreira (Portugal)

Thistle Career - 83 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 MOM award

23. Mick Dunlop

Defender/Defensive Midfielder (Left/Centre), 25 years old

Joined Thistle - January 1 2006

Previous Teams - Ayr

Thistle Career - 32 (15) games, 1 goal, 1 assist

24. Kevin McMullan

Defender (Right), 25 years old

Joined Thistle - July 31 2004 (original squad member)

Previous Teams - Arbroath

Thistle Career - 24 (31) games, 1 goal, 1 MOM award

27. Daniel Ferry

Defender/Forward (Left, Right, Centre)

Joined Thistle - January 24 2007

Previous Teams - Queens Park

Thistle Career - 1 (5) games, 1 goal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Part Three - Midfielders and Forwards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

6. Ross O'Donoghue

Midfielder (Centre), 25 years old

Joined Thistle - August 4 2004 (original member)

Previous Teams - Aberdeen

Thistle Career - 150 (5) games, 13 goals, 28 assists, 21 MOM awards

7. Steven Masterson

Midfielder (Right), 23 years old

Joined Thistle - January 26 2006

Previous Teams - Kilmarnock

Thistle Career - 9 games, 3 assists

9. Connor Gethins

Forward (Right, Centre), 24 years old

Joined Thistle - July 27 2004 (original player)

Previous Teams - Ross County

Thistle Career - 162 (6) games, 90 goals, 37 assists, 11 MOM awards

10. Dean Walker

Striker, 26 years old

Joined Thistle - July 31 2004 (original member)

Previous Teams - Forfar, East Fife

Thistle Career - 151 (2) games, 78 goals, 34 assists, 10 MOM awards

11. Marco Pelosi

Attacking Midfielder/Defender (Left), 22 years old

Joined Thistle - June 4 2005

Previous Teams - Hearts

Thistle Career - 115 (4) games, 3 goals, 27 assists, 6 MOM awards

14. Markus Paatelainen

Forward (Right/Centre), 25 years old

Joined Thistle - June 6 2005

Previous Teams - AC Allainssi (Finland), Aberdeen

Thistle Career - 23 (56) games, 31 goals, 4 assists, 2 MOM awards

15. Ederson

Attacking Midfielder (Centre), 22 years old

Joined Thistle - June 17 2007

Previous Teams - RS Futebol (Brazil), Internacional (Brazil), Juventude (Brazil), Nice (France)

Thistle Career - 39 (2) games, 6 goals, 13 assists, 7 MOM awards

16. Ryan Conroy

Attacking Midfielder (Left), 20 years old

Joined Thistle - January 9 2006

Previous Teams - Celtic, Dumbarton

Thistle Career - 11 (18) games, 2 goals, 10 assists

17. Gary Dempsey

Attacking Midfielder (Centre), 27 years old

Joined Thistle - January 1 2006

Previous Teams - Everton (England), Bray Wanderers (Ireland), Waterford Utd (Ireland), Dunfermline

Thistle Career - 48 (44) games, 17 goals, 12 assists, 5 MOM awards

18. Kieran McAnespie

Defensive Midfielder (Left/Centre), 28 years old

Joined Thistle - July 31 2004 (original member)

Previous Teams - St Johnstone, Fulham (England), Bournemouth (England), Hearts, Plymouth (England), Falkirk

Thistle Career - 87 (19) games, 2 goals, 7 assists, 1 MOM award

19. Fraser Logan

Forward (Centre), 23 years old

Joined Thistle - January 1 2005

Previous Teams - Kilmarnock

Thistle Career - 1 (1) games

22. David Bagan

Attacking Midfielder (Right), 31 years old

Previous Teams - Kilmarnock, Inverness CT, Queen of the South, St Johnstone

Thistle Career - 79 (6) games, 4 goals, 23 assists, 1 MOM award

25. Liam Buchanan

Striker, 23 years old

Previous Teams - Cowdenbeath

Thistle Career - 1 (9) games, 5 goals, 1 assist

26. Craig Molloy

Attacking Midfielder (Centre), 22 years old

Joined Thistle - June 3 2007

Previous Teams - St Mirren, Stirling

Thistle Career - 1 game, 1 assist

28. Stuart Milne

Defensive Midfielder (Centre), 20 years old

Joined Thistle - 2005/06 season

Previous Teams - Nil

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 9 months later...

After 298 days without an update....the Saga continues!

Scottish Premier League 2008/09

Nearly four years to the day that we beat Queen's Park in our first ever game, the Edinburgh Thistle Football Club would find itself playing at the top of the Scottish footballing pyramid, away to Hearts at Tynecastle. As I looked at my reflection in the mirror whilst fixing up my tie, memories of the past four years came flooding back. The win in the Scottish League Challenge Cup against Partick Thistle. Securing three promotions in four years. Our memorable win to win the First Division title just last season. And now, here we were somewhat unexpectedly, and suddenly, in the Scottish Premier League. Countless numbers of clubs in the lower leagues had toiled for decades without achieving this honour - and we had accomplished it five years after conception.

Dean Walker had the honour of scoring the first goal of the 2008/09 Premier League season as Thistle stole the limelight on opening day against a Hearts side that was perhaps unready for the stiff resistance we showed. The final margin of 3-1 to the Thistles was a great result which showed the rest of the competition that we would not be featherweights ready to swiftly fall back into the First Division.

Twin games against the Old Firm followed, with our boys outclassed by a combined score of 7-0. However, our very next game demonstrated the full attacking prowess of our side, with Aberdeen spanked to the tune of 6 goals to 2 in front of a energetic and vocal home crowd at the newly-renamed Collegians Road Stadium. A four game streak without a win in the SPL followed, which was broken with a very good away win against Dunfermline, where Connor Gethins scored his first hattrick in the Premier League. We finished the month of October with a fine win against former Third Division stablemates Gretna, and a hard derby against Hibs. In the press conference following the game, Tony Mowbray commented, "For years and years, you journalists have been writing about the green half of Edinburgh, and the maroon half of Edinburgh. From now on, you'll have to write about the green third, the maroon third and the yellow third. Thistle are going to hang around for quiet a considerable amount of time."

On November 22, the table-leading Rangers came to Collegians Road expecting to walk away with three points. Instead, we gave them a start and a beating to the tune of 4-2 - despite being down by two goals after just four minutes! Connor Gethins walked away with another fine hattrick in a performance that did his reputation in the Premier League no harm. Despite the high standard shown in that game, we would win just one game in the month of December and be eliminated from the League Cup by Dunfermline.

With the transfer window open for the new year, I decided to make an ungrade to our goal-keeping situation, signing highly-touted Libis Andres Arenas from Columbia. Graeme Smith was allowed to join Motherwell on a free-transfer, whilst Cameron Bell joined Dundee for a fee of $50,000.

The month of January saw Thistle continue their recent poor form and stumble to some spectacular losses, including a 7-2 embarrasment against Hibs on television. The very next game saw us lose 5-2 to Hearts, which placed us just three points away from relegation. Fortunately, the month of February was much more productive, with 12 points earned from 5 games, including a historic 2-0 win against Celtic at Celtic Park.

The Scottish Cup came to an abrupt end for us with a 3-0 loss to Partick Thistle in the quarter-finals. Despite that, our form in the Premier League had never been better, with a 7 game undefeated streak extending into the month of March. The final five fixtures of the season were decided under the Scottish split format, where the Premier League teams are placed into two groups based on table position and play each other one more time. With four wins from our last five games, Thistle had accerated into seventh position, an unlikely scenario at the beginning of the season, but a wonderful result nonetheless.

Edinburgh Thistle also featured prominently in the end-of-season awards, with mid-fielder Ross O'Donoghue runner-up to Celtic's Ross Wallace in the Player of the Year. I was delighted and honoured to be nominated for the Manager of the Year award, although finishing runner-up to Martin O'Neill was to be expected considering his Celtic side romped to another SPL title with 96 points. Three of our players were selected in the SPL Team of the Year - O'Donoghue, Marco Pelosi and Ederson. Incredibly, the judges could not (or perhaps would not?) find a position for either Connor Gethins or Dean Walker, despite scoring an incredible 45 goals between them - more than Kilmarnock and Queen of the South combined!

There would be major movement in the transfer market as far as Thistle were concerned, with the recently awarded Ross O'Donoghue shipped off to Dunfermline for a fee of $1,000,000 - our biggest transfer since Naldo was sold for $2,000,000 to Mallorca barely 24 hours after being signed for a fifth of that price. Four other players found new homes on free transfers - Daniel Ferry (Dumbarton), David McClune (Hamilton), Fraser Logan (Peterhead) and Steven Masterton (Clyde).

I was sure that the current squad had the potential to crack into the Premier League's top half in the 2009/10 season, and accordingly only made two additions to the squad - German attacking midfielder Jurgen Gjasula from Kaiserslautern on a free transfer, and Craig Wilson from Partick for $100,000.

Scottish Premier League 2008/09 Table

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Celtic | | 38 | 31 | 2 | 5 | 87 | 24 | +63 | 95 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Rangers | | 38 | 19 | 10 | 9 | 64 | 35 | +29 | 67 |

| 3rd | | Falkirk | | 38 | 15 | 15 | 8 | 49 | 44 | +5 | 60 |

| 4th | | Hearts | | 38 | 13 | 13 | 12 | 50 | 44 | +6 | 52 |

| 5th | | Dunfermline | | 38 | 13 | 10 | 15 | 39 | 49 | -10 | 49 |

| 6th | | Hibs | | 38 | 13 | 9 | 16 | 53 | 46 | +7 | 48 |

| 7th | | Thistle | | 38 | 16 | 6 | 16 | 64 | 66 | -2 | 54 |

| 8th | | Dundee | | 38 | 14 | 9 | 15 | 38 | 43 | -5 | 51 |

| 9th | | Aberdeen | | 38 | 15 | 5 | 18 | 37 | 49 | -12 | 50 |

| 10th | | Gretna | | 38 | 13 | 8 | 17 | 42 | 44 | -2 | 47 |

| 11th | | Kilmarnock | | 38 | 12 | 5 | 21 | 29 | 53 | -24 | 41 |

| 12th | R | Queen of Sth | | 38 | 3 | 10 | 25 | 21 | 76 | -55 | 19 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Scottish Cup - Celtic 2 d. Dundee 1

League Cup - Celtic 2 d. Hibs 1

Before a ball was even kicked in anger in 2009/10, the mind games started. Only this time, it came straight from the head offices of the Scottish Football Association.

"They're asking us to what?" I asked incrediously.

The club's legal adviser sat forward in his chair and picked up the sheet of paper. "According to the legal documents, they are claiming it as an infringement of copyright. Having three teams in the four divisions that call themselves 'Thistle' is a nightmare for fans to follow, according to market researchers, although of course they just could be plucking numbers out of the air. I've already spoken to the chairmen of Inverness and Partick and they're adamant that we must change our name or pay compensation to both clubs backdated retrospectively to 2004."

"Can they even do that? They've had five years to raise the issue, after all. It's never been a problem before."

"Their argument is that it shouldn't be a problem for us to make the change, since we only have five years of tradition, as opposed to decades."

"If it has to be done, then it has to be done," I sighed. "We'll still beat them where it matters...if they ever make it back to the Premier League, that is."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Media Release

The Edinburgh Thistle Football Club wish to advise supporters and sponsors that from the first of July onwards, the club will be officially known as the Edinburgh University Football Club. The change applies to all three teams run by the club, namely the Premier League, reserves and Under-19s teams.

The name change more closely reflects the team's geographical location within the city of Edinburgh, located as it is on Collegians Road, and removes confusion to other clubs within the Scottish football fraternity, particuarly Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Partick Thistle.

Apart from the name and elblem, no other aspect of the football club's identity, such as the playing strip, will change. Additionally, the playing records of the club will remain unaltered. This is not the establishment of a completely new club, just a simple renaming exercise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2009/10 Scottish Premier League Season

August 2009

"It's a new name, but we have the same old Thistle attitude. We're not going to let any team stand over us, or intimidate us. Especially not the green third!"

With the words of captain Gavin Skelton ringing in the players' ears, our second season in the top flight got underway at Easter Road Park with a draw, although like so many games last season, we could have walked away with more points. "'If', 'Could' and 'Should' are not words of winners!" I barked at the team afterwards.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">2/8 - Hibs 2 University 2

Scorers - Walker 59, Gethins 72 (O'Connor 4, 90)

Position - 7th</pre>

After a two-year journey in the First Division, Dundee United played their first home game of the season and were quick to exact revenge on the former Thistles for extending their exile from the Premier League.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">9/8 - Dundee Utd 3 University 1

Scorers - Walker 12 (Roelandts 21pen, Wilson 31, Conway 72)

Position - 9th

A crowd of 14,954 saw us tackle [b]Roberto Carlos's Hearts[/b] side in our second derby of the year.

[code]16/8 - University 0 Hearts 2

Scorers - (Coakley 6, Porarinsson 40)

Position - 11th</pre>

Just a week later, a [b]new crowd record[/b] of 14,981 saw us tackle [b]Rangers[/b]. Despite dominating the game for large periods of the game, we were unable to secure all three points, mainly due to [b]Arenas[/b]'s blunder in the first half.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">22/8 - University 2 Rangers 2

Scorers - Skelton 42, Ederson 83 (Murray 18, Arenas 36og)

Position - 11th</pre>

The following week saw our squad expand by two players. Columbian [b]Freddy Guarin[/b] agreed to a transfer which would earn his club $2.3 million over eighteen months. With former club-mate [b]Libis Andres Arenas[/b] already at the club, I anticipate he will have no problems settling into Edinburgh and will soon make his claims for selection in our midfield heard loud and clear. Another midfielder was added in the form of [b]Aiden McGeady[/b], formerly of [b]Celtic[/b], and a team-mate of [b]Connor Gethins[/b] in the [b]Republic of Ireland[/b] squad, having earned 26 caps in his six-year career.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Table at the end of August

1. Hearts 10

2. Celtic 9

3. Gretna 9

4. Rangers 7

5. Falkirk 6

6. Dundee Utd 6

7. Kilmarnock 5

8. Hibs 4

9. Aberdeen 4

10. Dundee 3

11. University 2

12. Dunfermline 1</pre>

September 2009

The month started with a pair of international matches as teams around the world strove to qualify for the World Cup due to be held next year in South Africa. Scotland advanced their cause tremondously with two draws against Spain and Romania - the results see Craig Levein's men in second spot in their qualifying pool. The other main event during our week off was the draw for the second round of the League Cup, with Stenhousemuir slated as our opponents, the same team who tipped out of the competition two years ago in what was their only win against us in six previous encounters.

The first game of the month saw a trip to the giants of the SPL, Celtic. Aiden McGeady was on hand to make his debut against his old side, however Freddy Guarin and Libis Andres Arenas were absent on international duty. Unfortunately the game was a disaster for us. Possibly, just possibly, poor old Aiden thought he was still playing for the home side, and was guilty of some terrible passes in the first half which resulted in Celtic goals.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">5/9 - Celtic 5 University 0

Scorers - (Saccucci 13, Hunt 16, 37, Boutahar 57, Mahoney 65)

Position - 11th</pre>

I felt that Callum Reidford's performance between the sticks was unacceptable, even if we were playing Celtic. He demonstrated the ability of a baby seal and the heart of a gnat. Accordingly, I fined him a week of his pay and told him to lift his game. It was very disappointing therefore to see him absent from our next training session. It seems that the best way to deal with him is to let him go to another club, as early as possible. There is no place in my squad for 'team cancers'.

Dunfermline were struggling at the bottom of the table - much like ourselves - but certainly did not play that way in our match at Collegians Road. They fulled deserved their equalizer, however, with a magnificent 40-yard strike which just made its way past Arenas's outstretched arms.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/9 - University 1 Dunfermline 1

Scorers - Walker 64pen (Armour 65)

Position - 11th</pre>

University made the back pages of the newspapers this week, however, with Ederson expressing his desire to leave University at the beginning of the transfer window in January. "I think that almost all the juice is squeezed out of the lemon," he was quoted as saying. "David O'Connor is a good man, but he has the footballing tactical nous of a small seashell." In a meeting later that afternoon, Ederson denied making the 'seashell' comment but repeated his request for a transfer. It's a difficult situation for me as manager - he is one of my most important contributors in the midfield, but he would also be more vaulable to us if he were sold in January rather than being allowed to walk away for a free transfer.

Clearly the frustrations were beginning to show on the players' faces. Was the season already over before it had really started? The answer was....no, not quite....

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">19/9 - University 3 Kilmarnock 0

Scorers - Walker 12, 46, Gethins 84

Position - 9th</pre>

Unfortunately for us, the victory came at a price, with Libis Andres Arenas suffering a dislocated jaw during a heading contest with former teammate Ross O'Donoghue. Marco Pelosi fractured his arm in a contest at the other end of the field, whilst, in a deliciously ironic twist of fate, Ederson bruised his head and would be out for five days. Call me a small seashell, did he?

With the sour Callum Reidford back in goal - despite his robotic public apology for skipping training, I'm sure I'm not on his Christmas card list - we made the long trip to the bleak surroundings of Pittdorie, with the resulting contest a very hard-fought draw.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">26/9 - Aberdeen 1 University 1

Scorers - Gethins 28 (McGeown 40)

Position - 9th</pre>

The month was finished with a League Cup fixture where we never got out of third gear...and didn't have to. Our next opponent in the League Cup would be Dundee United.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">30/9 - Stenhousemuir 0 University 4

Scorers - Walker 17pen, 45, 54pen, Gethins 32

League Cup - Second Round</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - September 2009

1. Celtic 21 +17

2. Hearts 19 +8

3. Rangers 17 +10

4. Dundee Utd 11 -1

5. Gretna 11 -3

6. Falkirk 10 -1

7. Hibs 8 -1

8. Aberdeen 8 -4

9. University 7 -6

10. Dundee 6 -4

11. Dunfermline 6 -7

12. Kilmarnock 6 -8</pre>

October 2009

Great excitement around Collegians Road at the start of the month, with Dean Walker called into the Scotland squad as cover for the injured Ross McCormack. Scotland beat Armenia 3-1 to go on top of their qualification group with just one game remaining. Although Dean did not get a chance to play, he was still present in the stadium at Kiev as Scotland beat Ukraine 2-0 to secure their berth in the 2010 World Cup. Arguably the biggest story of the day was Wales's 1-0 win in Munich that denied the Germans at chance at direct qualification - instead, they will playoff against Italy.

Connor Gethins and Aiden McGeady will have a considerably easier task trying to qualify, facing up against Albania.

With Scotland still riding on a high following their qualification, we travelled to Falkirk, but didn't get the start or result that we wanted.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">10/10 - Falkirk 2 University 1

Scorers - Walker 62 (Blanco 1, Duffy 5)

Position - 9th</pre>

Gretna, our first rivals, came to Collegians Road to battle again for the thirteenth time. In an entertaining battle, we were able to walk away with all three points, but only after Connor Gethins had the final say. Freddy Guarin was named in the team of the week for his efforts.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">17/10 - University 2 Gretna 0

Scorers - McManus 54, Gethins 90

Position - 8th</pre>

Consistency has not been our strong point this season, and things didn't change when we turned in an insipid performance against lowly Dundee. Only Hibs's big win against Kilmarnock prevented us from touching the bottom of the table.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">24/10 - University 0 Dundee 2

Scorers - (Conroy 1og, McManus 28)

Position - 11th</pre>

We were quite unlucky against Dundee United in our League Cup game just four days later. Twice we took the lead....twice they pegged us back....they took the lead twice....we pegged them back twice....and finally Garry Shields scored the winner with three minutes remaining in extra-time.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">28/10 - Dundee Utd 5 University 4

Scorers - Guarin 25, 89, Gethins 65, 105 (Templeman 48, McGuire 70pen, Roelandts 84, Kean 112, Shields 117)

League Cup Third Round</pre>

After the game, Gavin Skelton sought a private interview, and told me that he wished to relinquish the captaincy of the club, effective immediately. "It's been an honour," he confided, "But I believe that I'm not playing my best football at the moment. It's hard enough to worry about my own form without worrying about the rest of the team as well."

As soon as it was announced, rumours began to sweep the SPL of a rift between Gavin and myself, but nothing could be further from the truth. "He's not dead," I commented wryly, "He's merely no longer the captain, by his own choice. He's still the same old Gavin Skelton."

Stephen McManus received the captain's armband for our league game against Dundee United. His captaincy debut lasted precisely 78 seconds before he was carted off the field with a gashed leg. The rematch of the epic league cup game just three days previously was a dour affair, with neither side deserving of the victory

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">31/10 - University 0 Dundee Utd 0

Position - 9th</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - October 2009

1. Celtic 29 +24

2. Rangers 24 +11

3. Falkirk 19 +3

4. Hearts 19 +0

5. Dundee Utd 18 +3

6. Hibs 17 +2

7. Dundee 15 -1

8. Aberdeen 14 -5

9. University 11 -7

10. Dunfermline 11 -7

11. Gretna 11 -10

12. Kilmarnock 10 -13</pre>

November 2009

"I don't care. He's burned too many bridges, and he's letting the team down. I don't care how much it will cost, just get rid of him. I want him out of Edinburgh by tonight."

Thus the month began with the unceremonious sacking of Callum Reidford after the keeper missed yet another training session. The decision to fire our second-string goalkeeper was not a difficult one on the surface, although it did leave University exposed should Libis Arenas come to harm in the months ahead.

While Reidford got his legal counsel together, the rest of the football world was focused on the World Cup qualifiers. Ireland qualified for the World Cup with a 2-0 aggregrate win over Albania. Also qualifying through the playoffs were Spain, Bulgaria and Italy. Germany continued their dismal run of qualifying results, having also missed out on Euro 2008 after falling to Bulgaria at the last hurdle.

Our league campaign resumed with a bad loss in the derby to Hearts. Apart from never being in the contest, we also suffered by having Gavin Skelton and Jurgen Gjasula sent off within five minutes of each other. Dean Walker would also be subsequently ruled out of our next game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/11 - Hearts 4 University 1

Scorers - Pelosi 90 (Jones 4, 46, Simmons 88, Porarinsson 89)

Position - 10th</pre>

"Well, I think the championship is out of reach," I commented after the game in an attempt to lighten the mood. However, the gathering storm clouds drew darker with our next loss in another derby.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">22/11 - University 1 Hibs 2

Scorers - Ederson 66 (Clark 26, Naismith 73)

Position - 11th</pre>

"We're not dead yet!" I barked at the players afterwards. "Never give up. Never, ever, give up! Never, ever, ever, ever, ever give up!"

In an attempt to freshen up the lads, I gave the entire squad three days off training. "If I see anyone around Collegians Road before Wednesday, I'll fine you," was the warning. "Get out there, blow some of the cobwebs away, and let's get back stuck into it."

One week later in the depths of the Ibrox changing rooms, I began my pre-match talk. "They're not going to expect this from us. Get out there, terrorise them. They think we're an easy three points. Stuff them. We're nobody's whipping boys. Show them what we're made of. Gethins, I want you to go out there and pretend you're the greatest striker in the world. Ederson, pretend you're the best thing to come out of Brazil since Pele. Arenas, pretend that you're God's gift to goalkeepers. I want every single one of you to believe that we are the greatest team in Scotland, and go out and play like it."

The players seemed to respond well to this alternative pep talk, and managed to send the crowd at Ibrox into submission when we took a 2-1 lead into halftime.

Rangers didn't follow my script line-for-line however, and managed to storm back into the game with two goals in the final twenty minutes.

After the game, I stumbled around the room, not quiet finding the right words to say. The team had given their all, and yet....Dean Walker eventually brought the silence to an end when he placed his hand around me and said, "Don't worry, gaffer. Just pretend that we won."

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">28/11 - Rangers 3 University 2

Scorers - Guarin 10, 20 (Murray 18pen, Gavi 70, Buffel 75)

Position - 12th</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League - November 2009

1. Celtic 33 +25

2. Rangers 27 +12

3. Dundee Utd 25 +5

4. Falkirk 25 +4

5. Hearts 23 +3

6. Hibs 20 +0

7. Aberdeen 18 -7

8. Gretna 17 -8

9. Dundee 15 -3

10. Dunfermline 13 -7

11. Kilmarnock 13 -14

12. University 11 -12</pre>

The Beginning of the End? Or the End of the Beginning?

University still adjusting to life in the SPL

With just one point from their last five games, it appears that the short tenure of Edinburgh University in the Scottish Premier League is drawing to a premature close. But talk to manager David O'Connor, and it's all still positive.

"We're only two points away from safety, nine points away from the top six, and fourteen points away from Europe. There's still more than half a season to follow. Why should I start worrying?" beams the manager now in his sixth year in charge at Collegians Road.

However, O'Connor does have his reasons to start glancing over his shoulder in weariness. His two star strikers are not firing. The new goalkeeper ("Libio-something-or-other, I never can remember his name...") is leaking goals left, right and center. His best midfielder called him a 'small seashell'. His captain resigned. He is facing a lawsuit from a goalkeeper claiming unfair dismissal after missing two training sessions.

"Now hang on," O'Connor said. "That whole Callum Reidford issue was handled perfectly by the club. The little rat missed important sessions when he was the number one choice at keeper. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who breaks the team rules, and then goes and rats on me in the media. The unfortunate thing for Callum is that now, since we bought his contract out for $30,000, he's going to waste all of that in legal fees in a case that he's not going to win. And then what? He'll be an unemployed, unemployable goalkeeper with no other work experience. He'll be on the dole for the next sixty-five years."

The temperature seems to have risen markedly in O'Connor's office at Collegians Road. Things do not improve when the topic shifts to Ederson.

"A small seashell? What kind of insult is that? What, pray tell, was Ederson exactly hoping to accomplish by doing that? The issue is closed, although I'm trembling in my boots as to what kind of insult he will drag up next...not..."

Despite the troubles on the pitch, with University currently in a six-game streak without a win, off the field things are powering forward as never before. The club averages attendances of 14,000, ahead of both of it's Edinburgh rivals. The merchandise sales are recording similar figures, no doubt boosted by the team's name change during the off-season. Although that may drop off should the club be relegated in the future, the long-term viability of University seems to be assured.

As for O'Connor himself, what plans does he have?

"Oh, dear," he laughs. "I thought I'll only be here for a year, but this managerment caper can be addictive. I think this team can go even higher on the ladder than our seventh position last year. I'd like to be around to see it happen. But then again, I could be out of a job next week." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

December 2009

The players filed in, one by one, holding bottles of drink. Some continued to text on their phones, others tapped away to the tunes on their ipods, staring vacantly into the distance. The overall mood in the room was tense. A Monday morning team meeting was not an uncommon event - this one certainly was, given that it started at 5:30 in the morning. To make matters worse, the central heating was broken.

What followed was a passionate team meeting like no other. I spoke at first for five minutes. "It's pretty obvious that we all need to lift our game for the remainder of the season," I started. "Myself included. The last six games or so, I've been outclassed tactally like never before. It's like learning to read and write all over again. The system that worked for us so well for the last five years is now obselete - it's a bit like cellophane. Every other club can see through it.

"The truth is - we're a bloody good football club. Half of our top eleven is going to South Africa in June. We're not lacking in talent at all. What's important is that we use our talent properly and get some proper results instead of losing games where we can earn at least one point, if not all three.

"Starting this week, we're all going back to school on our tactics. I don't want us to play like the Dutch in 1974 anymore. I don't want to see Gavin Skelton trying to set up miracle goals from the back anymore. Gavin, with respect, mate, your job is a defender. It shouldn't be up to you to score goals, that's the top of the people in front of you.

"Defenders - I want you to act like robots. Imagine that you're the Terminator. You see the ball, you kill it. Splificate it. Hasta la vista, baby." The room cracked up at my Arnie impersonation. "That's right. I don't want to see Libis work at all. Let's all make his job that much more easier, yeah?

"Midfielders....from now on, you're going to be deployed in a diamond, instead of a flat four. We'll have a defending midfielder - most likely Freddie - to mop up any of the mess left behind by the defenders. We'll have another guy up front to service the ball to Connor and Dean. We have two great goal-scorers, but they're not scoring any goals. I want to see that fixed, quickly.

"We're called the University club now, but we're playing like Neanderthals. Let's play smarter, not necessarily faster or harder, but smarter. Let's play like we belong at a university, and not at a dole office."

The rest of the players then took turns to speak. Most of the lads pledged to try harder and commit themselves to staying up in the Premier League. If team meetings win games, then we've just won a dozen.

On the transfer front, I arranged the signing of former Danish U21 representative Bajram Fetai from Rangers to provide competition for Gethins, Walker and Paatelainen up front, as well as give the midfield something to think about. After being a regular member of the Gers squad for the last five years, Bajram will join us when the transfer window opens in the new year.

The new tactics would be put to a stern test when Celtic came to visit, and the results were mixed, although we only allowed the Buoys 9 clear shots on goal. "What are you all looking so sour about?" I asked the players after the game. "2-0 is heaps better than 5-0, which is what it was last time. A month ago, you would have cheered a two-goal loss to the mighty Celtic, now look at you! That just shows how far we've come already in 90 minutes. Keep believing - we're going to stay up!"

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">5/12 - University 0 Celtic 2

Scorers - (Boutahar 26, Mahoney 81)

League Position - 12th</pre>

After the game, Martin O'Neill did me a tremondous compliment by saying that University would be mad to get rid of me at this stage of the season, and that a manager who secured three promotions in four years must know more than a bit about football.

Celtic's Darren O'Dea agreed during the week to join University when the transfer window opens. I feel it's important to get fresh blood into a defensive unit which is looking a bit haggard at the moment. His fee to Celtic will cost in the region of $120,000.

Freddy Guarin will be out for three weeks after fracturing his jaw during training. His absence will most likely give Mick Dunlop another chance to establish himself as a midfield option, having played just 46 games in his five years here.

Sensational news on Wednesday, with Craig Levein getting the sack from Rangers! There doesn't seem to be any justification in his sacking, with Rangers only six points behind Celtic with a game in hand. During Levein's reign of four years at Ibrox he managed to win the Premier League twice and League Cup twice. The sacking may be a blessing in disguise for Scotland's World Cup hopes now, as Levein can devote his full energies to the upcoming campaign.

Falkirk came to town and delivered a crushing - but not fatal - blow to our team's morale.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/12 - University 0 Falkirk 4

Scorers - (Duffy 33, N'Zigou 43, Thomson 65, Moutinho 82)

As if to compound our recurring nightmare, we drew Rangers in the third round of the Scottish Cup.

Our defending woes didn't get better at Dunfermline, but at least we were in the contest this time. Ryan Conroy became the fourth University player this year to receive a red card, and he may find his initial one-match ban extended well into the new year, pending a review by the SFA.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">19/12 - Dunfermline 4 University 2

Scorers - Walker 30, 44 (Hepburn 22, Dunn 50og, Gilhaney 66, 90)

Christmas came and went, and we travelled the short distance to Kilmarnock in a game between the two bottom teams in the Premier League. This game would play a major role in determining our fate for the rest of the season. Would we be two-season-wonders? Or would we see light at the end of the tunnel?

In the end, it was progress. Sort of. A bit.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">26/12 - Kilmarnock 1 University 1

Scorers - Gethins 40 (Easton 45pen)

Former Plymouth manager Bobby Williamson was confirmed as the new Rangers manager on Boxing Day, and would begin his new assigment eight points behind Celtic.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - December 2009

1. Celtic 45 +37

2. Rangers 37 +14

3. Falkirk 32 +6

4. Hearts 32 +6

5. Dundee Utd 29 +4

6. Dundee 26 -3

7. Hibs 22 -3

8. Gretna 20 -9

9. Aberdeen 20 -9

10. Dunfermline 19 -8

11. Kilmarnock 16 -15

12. University 12 -20</pre>

January 2010

With the 'noughties' out of the way and the 'teenies' ushered in, the new year started with two new faces in the squad and a match against Aberdeen at Collegians Road where we sought our third win of the season. Sadly, although the effort of the team was top-notch, the game got away from us, and we surrended by two goals to none. Gavin Skelton received his second red card in two months.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">2/1 - University 0 Aberdeen 2

Scorers - (Mikko Paatelainen 77, Wyness 84)

John Gorman was sacked as Dunfermline's manager the next day. Ross County's Alex Smith was swiftly head-hunted as his replacement.

Calamity struck the University training sessions later in the week, with Marco Pelosi (hip) and Libus Andres Arenas ruled out for three and one month respectively, leaving me scrambling to patch up the glaring holes their absence leave in my squad. The very next day, Ederson got his wish and packed his bags for Tottenham for $525,000. The Brazilian midfielder scored 13 goals in 100 games for University in his tenure at the club. The transfer was very good news for us as Ederson had also been in talks with Sunderland and Leeds but those two clubs would not pay a transfer fee and prefered to wait until July for his services.

Given the instability at the club, our loss to Rangers should have come as no surprise.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">9/1 - University 0 Rangers 3

Scorers - (Novo 40pen, McCormack 50, Cameron 88)

Scottish Cup Third Round</pre>

"I can't fault the team at the moment," I told Sky Sports afterwards. "Sometimes we play like a one-armed taxi driver with the crabs, but we haven't given up. Not by a long way."

The club's injury crisis resulted in more fresh faces joining the squad. Stephen O'Donnell joined from Boston United, goalkeeper Stuart McCulloch signed on from Dundee United's reserve squad, whilst Dunfermline sold Ross O'Donoghue back to us for a fraction of what we originally signed him for. Unfortunately, Ross is battling an injury crisis of his own and won't be back in action until February.

An exciting encounter followed at Raydale Park, although we were lucky to hold on with a draw. The referee ruined the match for University supporters, however, when he saw fit to issue ten yellow cards in the game, including eight for University.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">16/1 - Gretna 0 University 0

Position - 12th</pre>

The next game was an utter car crash.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">23/1 - Dundee 4 University 0

Scorers - (Khanyeza 45, 63, Weir 51, Robertson 69)

Position - 12th</pre>

After the game, a Dees supporter had the utter gall to target me with a joke. "What does a University supporter do after his team wins a game?" I thought to myself: Should I? Shouldn't I? I couldn't resist....."What?"

"He turns off Football Manager and goes to bed."

Rubbish rained down on me as I walked my way back to the dressing sheds.

14 games in a row without a win - a new club record. Yet, we were still 'just' six points behind 11th-placed Kilmarnock. A sudden rush of good form could see University climb the ranks, yet to win games we had to score goals - something we hadn't done since December 26.

Unfortunately for me, we had to stay in the city of Dundee to play our next game. The attacking problems were sorted somewhat against Dundee United. Unfortunately, our defensive problems were not.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">30/1 - Dundee Utd 4 University 3

Scorers - Gethins 8, Guarin 78, 82 (Wilson 21, 37, Aidoo 30, Kean 76)

Position - 12th</pre>

With just one point earned from four league games during January, the situation is starting to look serious for University.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - January 2010

1. Celtic 49 +38

2. Rangers 45 +19

3. Dundee Utd 39 +9

4. Falkirk 37 +7

5. Hearts 37 +5

6. Dundee 32 +1

7. Hibs 29 -3

8. Aberdeen 25 -9

9. Dunfermline 24 -9

10. Gretna 21 -14

11. Kilmarnock 19 -17

12. University 13 -27</pre>

February 2010

"Daaaaaaad?"

I looked up. Sam and Callan were looking very worried at the end of the bed.

"Whaa.....what's the time? Oh......."

"We wanna football shirt for our birthdays....."

I really had no time for this. "But why? Your birthdays aren't till August anyway. Besides, you have lots of University shirts..."

Sam spoke up. "We want Hibs shirts. Mickey Morgan said University suck."

Cue double-blink from Dad. "Who's Mickey Morgan?"

Callan replied brightly. "He's the boy from day care who teasesed us and stepped on our lunch last week. He said, that his dad said, that University were a pack of fu...."

"Hold it, hold it, hold it. Go and talk to Mum about it."

It was hard enough trying to keep a team afloat without my twin sons being set against me.

After a short break due to international friendlies - and the drawing of the groups of the 2010 World Cup in Cape Town, with Scotland to face Italy, Japan and Paraguay - we descended into 'Fat February'. A critical month in the short history of the University club, and yet we were to face our four toughest opponents - Hearts, Hibs and the Old Firm.

After the Dundee incident, jokes about the team and myself were sweeping the country. It had even gotten to the stage where Sheena's principal asked her if I had really spent the 90 minutes during the Falkirk game locked away in the men's toilets. Whilst I assured her that this was just a temporary craze, and that the spotlight would soon deflect off University and onto another club, she remained adamant that perhaps the time had almost come for me to say goodbye to the team I had built up.

Eventually we reached a compromise. As soon as it was mathematically impossible for University to avoid relegation, I would release the following statement to the media.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hereby resign with immediate effect as the manager of the Edinburgh University Football Club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The piece of paper was undated and unsigned, and went into a sealed envelope and placed under the bed matress.

The month started with a sold-out crowd for another Edinburgh derby. In an incredible turn-around of recent form, University sprung one of the upsets of the seasons with a dominant win against Roberto Carlos's Hearts. Man of the match was Ross O'Donoghue, playing his first game back in a University shirt.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">10/2 - University 3 Hearts 1

Scorers - Walker 22pen, McManus 27, Gethins 58 (McCusker 51)

Position - 12th</pre>

Unfortunately for us, we couldn't repeat the effort in our Valentine's Day derby against Hibs, who dominated from start to finish. In seven meetings, we are still yet to beat our other Edinburgh rivals.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">14/2 - Hibs 3 University 0

Scorers - (Duff 15, 40, O'Connor 45)

Position - 12th</pre>

The gap between University and Kilmarnock was closed to five points, although the Killies still had a game in hand.

With his 100th league goal for University, Connor Gethins got proceedings against Rangers off to a cracking start, and for the first time this season we were able to sustain our level of play for the entire 90 minutes, choking Bobby Williamson's team out of the contest.

"Just brilliant! Just brilliant! Why can't we play like that all of the time?"

The result meant that the gap between us and Kilmarnock and Gretna was reduced to just two points, although both clubs had an extra game in hand.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">21/2 - University 2 Rangers 0

Scorers - Gethins 2, Guarin 19

Position - 12th</pre>

In the lead-up to our match against Celtic, Martin O'Neill was again preaching my virtues in the media, claiming that University's current form vindicated his earlier prophecy that we would survive the drop to First Division. Of course, considering we had done his boys a massive favour just the week before made the words easier to say. In response, I merely said that University had 'far too much talent to be relegated. We're going to survive, and we never stopped believing that'.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">27/2 - Celtic 3 University 1

Scorers - Betai 65 (Lawson 23, Severin 77, Petrov 82)

Position - 12th</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - February 2010

1. Celtic* 61 +44

2. Rangers 52 +19

3. Dundee Utd 45 +9

4. Falkirk 44 +12

5. Hearts 44 +5

6. Dundee 36 +1

7. Hibs 35 -2

8. Aberdeen 29 -9

9. Dunfermline 28 -10

10. Gretna 24 -21

11. Kilmarnock* 21 -24

12. University 19 -28

* Game in hand</pre>

March 2010

The managerial merry-go-round spun once more this week, and this time Gretna's Marius Lacatus was the one who fell out, having been sacked after fifteen months at Raydale Park. During that time, the Black and Whites failed to build on their credible first season in the Premier League under Rowan Alexander, and face possible relegation this season. Somewhat surprisingly, my name was mentioned as a contender to replace Lacatus, along with Gordan Strachan, Jim Duffy and John Gorman.

My job at the moment was on avoiding relegation, and we made a brilliant start to the month with a good win over Dunfermline. The result, coupled with Kilmarnock's loss to Rangers meant that we were out of the relegation zone for the first time since November, although the Killies still had a game in hand and superior goal difference in their favour.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">10/3 - University 3 Dunfermline 1

Scorers - Gethins 22, Walker 40, Guarin 45 (Noble 3)

Position - 11th</pre>

Another trip to the Falkirk Stadium followed, with a 2-2 draw that kept both sets of supporters happy.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">13/3 - Falkirk 2 University 2

Scorers - Walker 45, 54 (Fernandez 34, Gray 43)

Position - 11th</pre>

Celtic won their second League Cup in a row with a 1-0 win against Hearts. It was Hearts's first apperance in a cup final since 1998.

A six-point game then followed for us - against relegation battlers Kilmarnock. All of the effort during Fat February would be for nothing if we did not produce the goods here today. However, we dominated the Killies from start to finish and did not even allow them a straight shot on goal all game. With eight games to play in the season, we were four points ahead of the now-entrenched Kilmarnock.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">20/3 - University 2 Kilmarnock 0

Scorers - Fetai 8, Gethins 82

Position - 11th</pre>

The atmosphere are the game was similar to a cup final. Players walked around with the biggest smiles on their faces. The supporters were chanting outside, some sort of reference to a computer game...The sense of relief in the dressing sheds was obvious.

Our run of good form continued in a dour game at Pittdorie, which ended in a bang for University.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">27/3 - Aberdeen 0 University 2

Scorers - Gethins 83, O'Donoghue 88

Position - 11th</pre>

Kilmarnock appear to be all but relegated now, with a 2-0 loss to Celtic placing them seven points behind us on the ladder.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - March 2010

1. Celtic 73 +47

2. Rangers 56 +16

3. Dundee Utd 55 +13

4. Hearts 51 +7

5. Falkirk 46 +10

6. Hibs 45 +1

7. Dundee 37 -2

8. Aberdeen 32 -12

9. Dunfermline 32 -12

10. Gretna 30 -20

11. University 29 -22

12. Kilmarnock 22 -26

* one game in hand

* two games in hand</pre>

April and May 2010

After an undefeated March, we got April started on the wrong foot, giving Gordon Strachan a good start in his debut with Gretna

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">10/4 - University 0 Gretna 1

Scorers - (Bradley 37)

Position - 11th</pre>

Dunfermline upset Rangers by the lone goal in their Scottish Cup semi-final replay at Hampden Park and will play in their third cup final in seven seasons.

The last game before the competition split was played against Dundee and resulted in an uneventful draw. On the same day, Celtic won their third successive SPL title with a 2-0 win over Dunfermline.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">17/4 - University 0 Dundee 0

Position - 11th</pre>

And so we began our final five games of the season, knowing that nine points would certainly secure another season in the Premier League, and perhaps as little as three points would do just as well. The run of five games began with another bleak trip to Pittdorie, the third of the year.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">23/4 - Aberdeen 2 University 0

Scorers - (Heikkinen 60pen, Namouchi 71)

Position - 11th</pre>

University's Wouter Artz will be leaving the Premier League next season, having decided to return to his native Holland and play for FC Utrecht. During the season he had been getting rather homesick, despite securing the right defender's spot and making it his own.

Kilmarnock's thirteen-year tenure in the Scottish Premier League came to an end with Bajram Fetai scoring two brilliant goals to keep University alive in the SPL for another season. The highlight of the Killies time at the top include their third place finish in 2005/06 and their win in the Scottish Cup final of 2005. The knives are out for Jim Jefferies following their relegation.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">28/4 - University 2 Kilmarnock 0

Scorers - Fetai 45, 83

Position - 11th</pre>

As I staggered back home after a big night of celebrations, I noticed that Sheena had the wine on ice. Next to the bottle was the resignation letter.

"I guess we won't be needing this anymore," she said as she set it alight in the fireplace.

With promotion secure, and tenth place practically out of reach, the rest of the season passed in a blur.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1/5 - University 1 Gretna 1

Scorers - Gethins 4 (Snodgrass 32)

Position - 11th</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">8/5 - Dunfermline 1 University 0

Scorers - (Young 88)

Position - 11th</pre>

Partick Thistle will participate in the Premier League in 2010/11 after securing promotion with a 1-0 win over Motherwell in the final game of the season, just edging out Queen of the South on goal-difference. It will be Partick's first excursion in the SPL since 2003/04.

Aston Villa crushed Sevilla 4-2 in the EURO Cup final held at Santiago Bernabeu. It is their first piece of European silverware since 1982.

University's sixth season ended with a 0-0 draw against Dundee at Collegians Road. Elsewhere, the United half of Dundee were about to celebrate finishing in second position in the Premier League, their best result since winning their only championship in 1983. Rangers fans would rue the day they sacked Craig Levein, considering they were only six points behind Celtic when the deed was done - the final margin between the two clubs was an incredible 31 points. With Rangers having not won an Old Firm Derby since 2006, it was increasingly a case of not the Old Firm, but Celtic and the rest.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/5 - University 0 Dundee 0

Position - 11th</pre>

Manchester United retained the Champions Cup with a win over Barcelona in Sweden. Just a day later, Celtic won the Scottish Cup over Dunfermline, thus completing their second domestic treble in a row. Having lost just 13 of 114 Premier League games in the past three-seasons, it would seem that Martin O'Neill's team is set for a long reign at the top.

And so our second season in the top flight ended. A tale of bludging goalkeepers and ignorant seashells. A saga of local heroes returning home, new faces in new places, and a gallant captain relinquishing his title. A season where our strikers developed 'scoring constipation' but developed a case of the runs just in time. A time where fourteen was the loneliest number, but eleventh was absolutely brilliant, all things considered.

What on earth would 2010/11 be like?

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Celtic | | 38 | 29 | 5 | 4 | 86 | 25 | +61 | 92 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Dundee Utd | | 38 | 18 | 9 | 11 | 54 | 45 | +9 | 63 |

| 3rd | | Rangers | | 38 | 17 | 10 | 11 | 51 | 40 | +11 | 61 |

| 4th | | Falkirk | | 38 | 17 | 8 | 13 | 60 | 48 | +12 | 59 |

| 5th | | Hearts | | 38 | 15 | 10 | 13 | 50 | 50 | 0 | 55 |

| 6th | | Hibs | | 38 | 14 | 11 | 13 | 45 | 44 | +1 | 53 |

| 7th | | Dundee | | 38 | 10 | 17 | 11 | 39 | 39 | 0 | 47 |

| 8th | | Aberdeen | | 38 | 12 | 11 | 15 | 36 | 39 | -3 | 47 |

| 9th | | Dunfermline | | 38 | 9 | 16 | 13 | 39 | 53 | -14 | 43 |

| 10th | | Gretna | | 38 | 11 | 8 | 19 | 39 | 56 | -17 | 41 |

| 11th | | University | | 38 | 8 | 11 | 19 | 41 | 65 | -24 | 35 |

| 12th | R | Kilmarnock | | 38 | 4 | 12 | 22 | 26 | 62 | -36 | 24 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Off Season Events

Mark Dempsey signed for Morton and joined the team as a free transfer after 140 games and 2 goals for University.

Connor Gethins's World Cup dream came to a shattering end after suffering a broken jaw during a training camp in Cork. He will be out of football for two months, but should return in time for our league campaign.

Veteran Celtic defender Joos Valgaeren will be joining University in July after agreeing to a one-year contract. The 34-year old Belgium has represented his country on 31 occasions, although he was unexpectedly left out of Belgium's World Cup squad. He joined Celtic in 2000.

Young Motherwell defender Alex John-Baptiste signed on, with $250,000 sent to Motherwell. John-Baptiste was one of the signing lights in an otherwise forgettable campaign for Motherwell, and his signing adds depth to our defenders.

Continuing the defensive theme in our recruitment, young Dundee defender Scott Henderson was quickly snapped up after one of our scouts noted he was off contract. Henderson spent most of last season on loan at Ross County.

Dirk Neumann, a former German U21 representative, signed on for four years and looks to become an integral part of our midfield in years to come. The 22-year old had previously seen limited action for three Bundesliga clubs.

Sergio Jauregui, a talented Bolivian defender, signed for the club just after the transfer window opened. He has already been capped on 52 occasions for his country.

John Voight joined us just before the pre-season fixtures started. Contracted to Dundee since 2004/05, the young striker has spent much of the time away from Dens Park on loan, notching up 37 goals in the process.

Moving in the opposite direction was Ryan Conroy, who signed for Ross County with a fee of $90,000, although nearly half of that went to Dumbarton due to a clause in his contract. Ryan made 74 apperances for University since 2005 but never really cemented a place in the top line-up.

Original squad member Kieran McAnespie signed for Montrose after six years and 117 games for the club.

Markus Paatelainen leaves the club after 111 games and 37 goals, almost all of them off the bench.

Liam Buchanan was also released after just 15 games in five years.

Original staff member Roy Davidson announced his retirement from football at the age of 64. His retirement gift was a gold watch and his very own University jersey with the number 64 on the back.

"A lot of new faces in the team," I commented to my staff. "Therefore we're going to have to work twice as hard to keep our place in the Premier League. On the other hand, these new faces should ensure that we rise up the ladder, as opposed to treading water."

2010 World Cup

Three of University's players made their respective national squads in South Africa - the Republic of Ireland's Aiden McGeady and Colombia's Freddy Guarin and Libus Andres Arenas.

The cup started with a gala opening ceremony in Johannesburg, as a crowd of over 90,000 watched defending champions Argentina defeat Canada 2-1.

Scotland kicked off their campaign against Italy at FNB Stadium in Johannesburg and did themselves proud with a 0-0 draw. The next day, Aiden McGeady scored in Ireland's 3-1 win over Kuwait, whilst Freddy Guarin came off the bench in Colombia's 2-0 loss to Belgium.

The Scots continued their dream run with a 2-1 victory against the improving Japanese side, although qualification to the second round was placed in jepodary with a 1-0 loss to Paraguay in Cape Town. With Japan's failure to draw against Italy, Scotland were given a repreieve. Ireland and Colombia also found their way into the second round.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Results from the 2010 World Cup - South Africa

Second Round

Argentina 1 d. United States 0 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg

Brazil 3 d. Sweden 1 after extra-time at ABSA Stadium, Durban

Portugal 2 d. Nigeria 1 at FNB Stadium, Johannesburg

England 1 d. Denmark 0 at Loftus Versveld, Pretoria

Holland 3. Scotland 0 at Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein

Italy 2 d. Republic of Ireland 0 at Mmabatho Stadium, Mmabatho

Ivory Coast 2 d. Belgium 0 at Althone Stadium, Cape Town

Spain 3 d. Colombia 2 at Johannesburg Stadium, Johannesburg

Quarter-Finals

Brazil 2 d. England 0 at Obi Stadium, Pretoria

Argentina 1 d. Portugal 0 at FNB Stadium, Johannesburg

Spain 1 drew with Holland 1 at Newlands, Cape Town (Spain wins 3-2 on penalties)

Italy 2 d. Ivory Coast 0 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg

Semi-Finals

Argentina 2 d. Spain 1 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg

Brazil 2 d. Italy 0 at FNB Stadium, Johannesburg

Playoff for Third

Spain 1 d. Italy 0 at Ellis Park, Johannesburg

Final

Brazil 2 d. Argentina 0 after extra-time at FNB Stadium, Johannesburg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

July 21 2010

The training sessions were going well. The energy levels were high, the commitment was evident on the faces of the players. A crowd of devoted supporters ringed the boundary of the field at Collegians Road Stadium to see their heroes put through their paces just weeks before the beginning of their seventh season of football.

The main focus was Connor Gethins, the very popular forward whose name had risen to prominence along with the fortunes of the University club itself. With 246 apperances to his credit, and an incredible 135 goals in that time, it was not hard to realise why the 'Scholars' supporters loved him so much. Gethins was just one week back into training after breaking his jaw on the eve of playing in his first World Cup for the Republic of Ireland. The months of June and July were instead spent drinking soup through a straw while watching his team-mates qualify for the second round.

Suddenly, Gethins lay sprawled on the ground, his face screwed up in agony. The screams bounced off the concrete grandstands and echoed around the ground. It would be a scream heard around Scotland.

My mobile phone was turned off for days after the event. Leaving Connor's suite in the hospital, I cursed myself for letting him participate in such a rough session, just days after his return from injury. You idiot, I cursed myself. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot.

The prognosis was not good. Three pins to be inserted, eight months on the sidelines. Would Gethins ever been the same player again? And without his incredible goal-scoring contribution, would University even survive this Premier League season?

If we cannot have Gethins this season. I mused, Then we must find the new Gethins

The 'new Gethins' came to us in the form of Thorsten Freund, another former German U21 representative, who came to us highly recommended by his former club Leverkusen. The new addition to our squad meant that University were looking more and more like the United Nations, with four Irishmen, three Germans, two Colombians, two Englishmen, and a Bolivian, Dane and Belgian in the top squad.

But no Connor Gethins.

August 2010

Gethins would not be the only player missing on the field this season, with Alexander John-Baptiste ruled out until the new year with a torn calf muscle suffered in a practice game against Welsh club Rhyl. A big blow for a player who I was hoping would establish himself on the right defense.

The new season kicked off at Dens Park, the scene of some embarrasing results last season. Although the contest was close on the park, we didn't have the opportunities that Dundee had to win the game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">7/8 - Dundee 2 University 0

Scorers - (Weir 31, Reid 42)

Position - 12th</pre>

A Sunday home game followed, with our derby against Hibernians, who we had yet to beat in eight previous games, including a 3-3 draw in a Scottish Cup tie in 2008 where we led 3-0 with five minutes to go. The board signalled their intentions to reverse this trend, but try as they might, University were unable to match the ability of the 'green third' of Edinburgh.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/8 - University 0 Hibs 1

Scorers - (O'Connor 10)

Position - 11th</pre>

A short trip across town to Tynecastle, where Hearts were making their traditional slow start to the season. We took advantage of their legartic marking to hammer home our first win of the season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">21/8 - Hearts 0 University 2

Scorers - Dempsey 26, Guarin 90

Position - 8th</pre>

"Already we're doing much better than this time last season," I reminded the lads. "This competition is not a short sprint, it's a marathon. The important thing is to keep at it."

What followed in our next game was nothing short of wonderful. Although it wasn't our first victory against the three-time reigning champions, that didn't mean it wasn't just as sweet. What was particuarly pleasing was our defending and marking, with Freddy Guarin working well as a defensive midfielder. Hopefully we'll be able to use this victory to launch our season and lift the club into the top six and European calculations.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">28/8 - University 3 Celtic 1

Scorers - McGeady 16, Walker 43, 49pen (Diarra 38)

Position - 4th</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - August 2010

1. Rangers 12 +6

2. Dunfermline 10 +6

3. Celtic 9 +9

4. University 6 +1

5. Dundee 6 +1

6. Falkirk 6 -2

7. Hibs 5 -4

8. Dundee Utd 4 -4

9. Aberdeen 3 -1

10. Gretna 3 -3

11. Hearts 3 -4

12. Partick 3 -5</pre>

September 2010

The month started with a trip to Ibrox to face a Rangers side that was in an unusual position - on top of the ladder by themselves. With Bobby Williamson introducing a plethora of new faces, it still seemed as though they were still unsure of combinations and trying to get used to each other's style of play. At the end of the day, I was disappointed to walk away without a point.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">11/9 - Rangers 2 University 1

Scorers - Stuhr-Ellegaard 10og (Novo 29, McCormack 66pen)

Position - 6th</pre>

Dean Walker passed Connor Gethins's record for league apperances for University in our 0-0 draw with Dunfermline.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">17/9 - University 0 Dunfermline 0

Position - 7th</pre>

With Freddy Guarin and Dean Walker out of the next contest due to training injuries, our number of injured players rose to eleven, the worst injury crisis I can ever recall. Youngster John Thomson made his professional debut at the age of 17 against Aberdeen.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">25/9 - University 0 Aberdeen 0

Position - 7th</pre>

Three days later, our League Cup campaign got off on the right foot against St Johnstone.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">29/9 - St Johnstone 0 University 2

Scorers - Neumann 4, Voight 21

League Cup 2nd Round</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - September 2010

1. Rangers 18 +6

2. Celtic 14 +11

3. Dunfermline 12 +5

4. Gretna 12 +1

5. Dundee 12 +1

6. Falkirk 10 -3

7. Partick 9 -2

8. University 8 +0

9. Hibs 7 -6

10. Aberdeen 6 -1

11. Hearts 5 -5

12. Dundee Utd 4 -7</pre>

October 2010

Partick were enjoying a successful return to the Premier League, having won three of their first seven games, and we expected to be tested to our limits by their side, managed by former Hearts manager John Robertson. University proceeded to turn in an economical performance which turned the screws on the homeside, although we were incredibly lucky by having a penalty shot over the bar, and a home goal disallowed for offside.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">2/10 - Partick 0 University 1

Scorers - Skelton 19

Position - 6th</pre>

We continued our brilliant defensive form against Falkirk, although I would have liked to have earned the full three points. Three of our defenders - David Cowan, Gavin Skelton and Joos Valaegren were named in the team of the week for their fine efforts. We had now not conceded a goal in five games, a new club record.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">9/10 - Falkirk 0 University 0

Position - 5th</pre>

That record was extended when we took on Gordon Strachan's Gretna and won quite comfortably in the end, given that the Black and Whites were limited to just five haphazard shots on goal.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">16/10 - University 2 Gretna 0

Scorers - Wilson 6, Freund 90

Position - 5th</pre>

The month ended with a home game against Dundee United, whose descent down the ladder was as swift as their sudden rise last season. Thorsten Freund hammered home two goals to give University supporters a lot to smile and sing about on their way home.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">30/10 - University 3 Dundee Utd 0

Scorers - Freund 6, 40, Walker 38pen

Position - 3rd</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - October 2010

1. Celtic 23 +16

2. Rangers 23 +6

3. University 18 +6

4. Dundee 16 +0

5. Dunfermline 15 +3

6. Gretna 15 -2

7. Aberdeen 13 +1

8. Partick 13 +0

9. Falkirk 12 -8

10. Dundee Utd 11 -6

11. Hearts 10 -4

12. Hibs 9 -12</pre>

November 2010

By anybody's standards, University had had an outstanding month, and this was reflected in the monthly awards, with Bajram Fetai picking up the Player of the Month award, and yours truly edging out Martin O'Neill and Roberto Carlos for the Manager of the Month award.

Although it was only Morton, we still turned in an incredibly good performance, as well as keeping our defensive integrity intact.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">3/11 - University 4 Morton 0

Scorers - Walker 17, 53, Wilson 40, Freund 89

League Cup 3rd Round</pre>

The 'streak', as the media was now refering to it, continued at the expense of Dundee.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">8/11 - University 1 Dundee 0

Scorers - Freund 86

Position - 3rd</pre>

The streak would be all for nothing, I reminded the players, if we could not beat Hibs in our next game. Tony Mowbray's men had had a wretched start to the season, winning just one of their first eleven games - against us. Despite the rivalry between the two clubs, I had grown to respect Mowbray as he seemed a decent chap and never carried personal grudges. Therefore it was disappointing to see him get the sack days before our tenth derby game against Hibs.

As always, Hibs were a handful for us, and terrorise our defenders all day with headers and chips. However, the monkey was finally off our backs when Bajram Fetai headed home the sealer deep into injury time, placing the punctuation mark on our 2-0 victory. Never before had I felt so emotional during a derby game, pumping my fists in the air and swinging my arms like a helicopter when the whistle finally went for full-time. To place the icing on the cake, it was David Cowan's 200th league game - a fine way to celebrate!

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">21/11 - Hibs 0 University 2

Scorers - Neumann 33, Fetai 90

Position - 3rd</pre>

Graham Diamond, the former St Mirren and Raith manager, was named as the new boss at Easter Road Stadium the day after the game.

We were on a roll, and it continued against Hearts

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">27/11 - University 3 Hearts 0

Scorers - Walker 11, Neumann 45, Freund 79

Position - 3rd</pre>

Another red-hot month of University football. With just six goals conceded, we had the best defensive unit in Scottish football, and our excellent form had seen us catapault up the ladder to be just two points behind the Old Firm....who we would play in our next two games.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - November 2010

1. Celtic 29 +20

2. Rangers 29 +10

3. University 27 +12

4. Gretna 22 +1

5. Dunfermline 19 +4

6. Dundee 19 -2

7. Dundee Utd 17 -7

8. Aberdeen 15 -3

9. Partick 14 -4

10. Hearts 14 -7

11. Falkirk 14 -10

12. Hibs 12 -14</pre>

December 2010

Bajram Fetai repeated the dose as Player of the Month, collecting the award for the second month in succession. I also collected the Manager's award for the second time, whilst Dirk Neumann won Goal of the Month for his contribution against Hearts.

Off to Celtic Park, where we would play two games in the space of ten days, with a League Cup Quarter-Final to consider later in the month. With David Cowan and Dirk Neumann missing because of training injuries, Alex John-Baptiste would make his debut, himself coming off a long stint on the sidelines.

Eight minutes into the game, Bajram Fetai placed University in front in the game and on top of the ladder. Ninety seconds later, we conceded our first goal in almost three months, and managed to give up another three before the full-time whistle went.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">4/12 - Celtic 4 University 1

Scorers - Fetai 8 (Lawson 10, 19, Smith 52, 61)

Position - 3rd</pre>

"Don't worry too much," I soothed the players after the game. "All of the pressure was on the hoops this afternoon, they would have been crucified if they didn't win that game."

Rangers made their way up to Collegians Road, and for 85 minutes looked like a shadow of their former glory. Then they got on the scoreboard.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">11/12 - University 1 Rangers 1

Scorers - Freund 45 (Janczyk 85)

Position - 3rd</pre>

Back to Celtic Park where we were duly dispatched from the League Cup for another season by a red-hot Celtic.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">15/12 - Celtic 3 University 0

Scorers - Greco 18, Il-Sung 23, Severin 37

League Cup Quarter-Final</pre>

In Gavin Skelton's 200th game for University, we were able to deal with Falkirk and continue our excellent form in the Premier League

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">18/12 - University 3 Falkirk 1

Scorers - Freund 25, 66, Walker 34 (Moutinho 90)

Position - 3rd</pre>

In the Boxing Day fixture, Dunfermline would be our hosts, but they could not crack our defense of steel. Dean Walker capped off a historic milestone as he scored his 100th league goal for University, achieved in six-and-a-half seasons.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">26/12 - Dunfermline 0 University 2

Scorers - Freund 40, Walker 43

Position - 3rd</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - December 2010</pre>

1. Celtic 39 +26

2. Rangers 39 +16

3. University 34 +13

4. Gretna 29 +4

5. Dundee 26 +0

6. Dunfermline 23 +1

7. Dundee Utd 23 -9

8. Aberdeen 21 -1

9. Falkirk 20 -10

10. Hearts 17 -11

11. Partick 14 -11

12. Hibs 14 -18[/code]

To: "Gethins, Connor" <cgethi1@eufc.co.uk>

Subject: Contract Extension

Date: December 30 2010

Hello Connor.

Please find attached our latest offer for a contract extension.

Hope the backpacking is going okay. How was Mumbai?

We're third in the league!

Regards, David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To: "O'Connor, David" <doccon1@eufc.co.uk>

Subject: Re: Contract Extension

Date: December 31 2010

Only $20,000 a week? You're having a laugh!

The million dollar bonus was far less than what I expected too.

Back in Edinburgh in February.

Cheerio, CG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

January 2011

The University juggernaut rolled into Aberdeen and came away with the three points.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">1/1 - Aberdeen 0 University 2

Scorers - Guarin 4, Walker 27

Position - 3rd</pre>

Partick were our next visitors, currently on a streak of eight games without a win. That would soon become nine.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">8/1 - University 2 Partick 0

Scorers - Jauregui 11, Freund 31

Position - 3rd</pre>

And then we extended it by another game, this time in the Scottish Cup

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/1 - University 3 Partick 1

Scorers - Walker 7, 9, 83 (Kerr 76)

Scottish Cup Third Round</pre>

Our visit to Raydale Park resulted in our first loss to a team not called Celtic in quite a while, although it was ultimately decided by the referee and not the players themselves.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">19/1 - Gretna 1 University 0

Scorers - (Quaresma 59pen)

Position - 3rd</pre>

After nearly three years in charge, Roberto Carlos was sacked as manager of Hearts after they lost 5-0 to Dunfermline and slam all the way to the bottom of the Premier League. In an odd left-field signing, he would be replaced by former Canadian national manager Frank Yallop, who would be managering his first club outside of Canada.

Meanwhile, up at Tannadice Park, we had to work very, very hard for our three points.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">29/11 - Dundee Utd 0 University 1

Scorers - Guarin 39

Position - 3rd</pre>

With sixteen games left in the season, University seem poised to make a serious tilt at the Premier League title....if only they can upset the Old Firm once or twice...or more.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scottish Premier League Table - January 2011

1. Celtic 49 +38

2. Rangers 49 +21

3. University 43 +17

4. Gretna 39 +8

5. Dundee 32 -3

6. Dunfermline 26 -1

7. Dundee Utd 24 -14

8. Aberdeen 22 -7

9. Falkirk 22 -14

10. Partick 21 -11

11. Hearts 20 -16