Sirius - Rising Star

McRob

1/9 -02: Antouman Jallow sold to Landskrona for £ 40,000. I could finally sell my out of favour and transfer listed central defender Jallow, and received a very good price too!

-----------------------------------

Sunday 1/9 -02:

After ending our Cup adventures, it was now time to play an important and difficult away game against Essinge. As we are tracing behind the top duo Lidingö and Valsta/Syrianska, we must go out and try and win this game by playing offensively, despite away field disadvantage. Pongrugthai is back again after injury and can start this game - which in turn means Hansson will start on the bench. Otherwise no changes.

Essinge vs. Sirius

Attendance: 1819 (Kristineberg, Stockholm).

Weather: Dry, 10°C.

Sirius (4-4-2): Ung © – M.Johansson, Karlsson, Poskiparta, Ahlström – Eroglu, Claesson, B.Eriksson, Pongrugthai – Arnesson, Thorsell.

Match Notes: We started the game best and created quality chances. Around the half hour Eroglu first tried to float the ball over the onrushing keeper, but saw the effort deflected wide, minutes later he had a good header on goal saved. Mattias Thorsell also had good chances, but failed to score. Instead it was Essinge that took the lead just before the half time interval, against the flow of the play, courtesy of a Martin Keos header. We didn’t create much in the second half and in the last ten minutes I tried an extremely offensive 3-4-3 tactic. It almost resulted immediately, but Henrik Eriksson’s effort hit the post. It turned out to be the last chance of the game as Essinge skilfully held on to the ball for the remainder of time.

Subs: H.Eriksson (On for Thorsell, 67), Wiklund (On for M.Johansson, 82).

We dominated the game, but still lost - sore, sore… This might just be the decisive loss that will rob us of any hopes of promotion. Six points behind Lidingö with only 8 rounds left to be played - it doesn’t look good, that’s for sure!

End Result: Essinge - Sirius 1-0 (1-0).

Man of Match: Martin Keos, Essinge (8).

East Svealand Results: Essinge vs. Sirius 1-0, Forssa vs. Visby 1-3, Sandvikens IF vs. Slätta 3-1, Skiljebo vs. Lidingö 0-3, Spårvägen vs. Topkapi 2-0, Väsby vs. Valsta/Syrianska 4-4.

Current League Position = 3rd.

4/9 -02: Kelvin Kerali joins Frändefors on a month long loan deal.

Sunday 8/9 -02:

Tweak my 4-4-2 tactical formation slightly to make it more offensive. The attacking wingers both pushing forward, while attacking, so that they function as forward wingers. Changes from the last game is Mats Johansson’s deportation to the bench, while Ahlström covers the left back slot. Mats has been playing very poorly of late and although I know he can do better I simply can’t afford any under performing players on the pitch. Wiklund in turn fills Ahlström’s original right back position. Thomas Arnesson is another under performing player that has been dropped for this game. Henrik Eriksson reclaims his forward position.

Sirius vs. Sandvikens IF

Attendance: 947 (Studenternas IP, Uppsala).

Weather: Dry 1°C.

Sirius (4-4-2): Ung © – Ahlström, Karlsson, Poskiparta, Wiklund – Eroglu, Claesson, B.Eriksson, Pongrugthai – H.Eriksson, Thorsell.

Match Notes: The game starts in a slow pace. Henrik Eriksson has a couple of shots sent wide, but not much else of interest happens - until all of a sudden - Sandviken midfielder Andreas Rinnström explodes forward and drives mercilessly the ball into the net, 0-1. I try and get my team forward, but it’s Sandviken that create the best chances of scoring, before the whistle announces half time. At the start of the second half it’s obvious that Sandviken decided to try and defend their lead with every means available. To my enormous disappointment however, we continued to create absolutely nothing. Fact is that it was only several brilliant saves by Ung later on, that kept us in the game at all. Rather than us creating any late goal scoring opportunities, it’s Sandviken once again that come close - Rinnström hitting the bar in the dying minutes. Through the entire game we had not even a single shot on goal. Dreadful!

Subs: Fällström (On for Claesson, 63), Hansson (On for Ahlström, 80), Arnesson (On for H.Eriksson, 80).

Embarrassing performance by the entire team except for my assistant manager in goal, Simon Ung, who deservedly was voted man of match for his many exceptional saves. Unfortunately this fact only underlines Sandviken‘s dominance over the game. Sandviken out-played and out-performed my side in every aspect, this time around. Will have to try yet another tactic for the next game - judging from this performance the current tactic is definitely not working. Starting to loose some faith in my players, we are looking worse for every game played. Any hopes of promotion are now gone for sure…

End Result: Sirius - Sandvikens IF 0-1 (0-1).

Man of Match: Simon Ung (9).

East Svealand Results: Lidingö vs. Väsby 3-2, Sirius vs. Sandvikens IF 0-1, Slätta vs. Skiljebo 3-0, Topkapi vs. Forssa 4-2, Valsta/Syrianska vs. Spårvägen 2-4, Visby vs. Essinge 3-1.

Current League Position = 4th.

Needed a drink after the game. Feeling rather depressed with results of late. Don’t even want to think of when we actually scored a goal last - so many match minutes that I can’t even count them. Big changes are necessary! But how can I change things with the meagre means available to me? Brooding on my options available and the future ahead I never noticed that my wallet had disappeared. Pick-pocketed! Arrg, just what I needed… icon_mad.gif This led to a slightly embarrassing episode when I was to pay for the glasses of whiskey I had been engulfing, whilst pondering on matters ahead. Although not a regular at this particular bar, the bartender was fortunately a football fan and aware of who I was. He started a tab for me and not before long I was to become a regular. Nice atmosphere to relax in after a days work. A shot or two of whiskey and suddenly I make some of my best reflections. icon_biggrin.gif

This particular week I had a lot to reflect about. Drew out a new tactical formation on the lines of a 5-3-2 attacking tactic. I also made a critical evaluation of the squad available. As it no longer seems likely that we’ll be promoted, I must look at the future instead. It is still necessary to try and get the economy in check, which means selling players, but at the same time the squad needs strengthening. Without any money available I’ve instead gone with the tactic of having my two scouts off looking for fresh new talents in Northern Europe. Finding promising youngsters, that won’t cost anything to add to my ranks and that won’t be a big burden on the wage bill, has now become a priority. Will also try and use what is left of this season to hand some of the youngsters at the club some valuable first team experience. We are currently 10 points from the relegation zone with 7 rounds to be played, so I don’t think we’ll be risking anything in that respect. With youngsters at the club gaining some on the pitch experience this season - I’m hoping they’ll be able to take steps forward in their development and perhaps help us achieve promotion next season instead. This season seems a lost cause, with Lidingö running away in the top (9 points ahead at the moment) and us dropping down to fourth position.

9/9 -02: After evaluating my squad further I decide on transfer listing my out of favour forward Johan Pettersson. I almost immediately receive a £ 8,000 transfer bid from Vallentuna BK which I accept, despite it being quite below his estimated value. Meanwhile contract negotiations with Johan Claesson have stranded, but Sittichai Pongrugthai has put his name to a new contract that will see him stay until November 2005.

Internationally another transfer deal was confirmed. Blackburn Rovers sign the Argentinean international Juan Pablo Sorín from Cruzeiro for a fee of £ 10,000,000.

10/9 -02: Receive a whopping bid of £ 24,000 from Norwegian side Bryne for the services of Johan Pettersson. Needlessly to say I accept it straight off and then phone up Vallentuna BK to say: “Sorry the deal’s off. Just received tripple the amount from another club, so…†Tough luck.

12/9 -02: The transfer of Johan Petterson, sold to Bryne for £ 24,000 was confirmed and sealed today. An unexpectedly good transfer fee that will do our strained economy well. Meanwhile we also saw the arrival of Scottish youngster Stuart Bryson - joining the team for a two week long trial.

13/9 -02: Martin Åberg returns to training after his prolonged injury treatment. He’s been sorely missed! Danish youngster Kenneth Nygaard joins on a one week trial at the club.

14/9 -02: A third trialist, Swedish youngster Kenneth Olsson joins on a one week trial. My scouts have been working hard and now we have the three trialists at the club to prove themselves. Of the many youngsters my scouts have been watching, these three seem like the most promising found so far. Will have to see how well they fair in training. Would need new signings to bolster my squad - even if it is unproven youngsters.

Sunday 15/9 -02:

Skiljebo is one of the teams at the bottom of the table, so despite away field disadvantage this is a game we should win. Have restructured my tactics to a 5-3-2 attacking style in the lines of: GK - DC, DC, DC - DML/AML, DMR/AMR - MC, MC - AMC/FC - SC, SC. With this new tactic Ahlström and Eroglu have both been placed on the bench. Andreas Fällström and Staffan Wiklund take place in the new starting XI. Have decided on making a generation change to the team, but will wait with major changes until after my youngsters get atleast another reserve game in their feet.

Skiljebo vs. Sirius

Attendance: 759 (Hanne IP, Västerås).

Weather: Drizzle 10°C.

Sirius (5-3-2): Ung © – Wiklund, Poskiparta, Karlsson – Fällström, M.Johansson - B.Eriksson, Claesson, – Pongrugthai - H.Eriksson, Thorsell.

Match Notes: We start with a roar! Henrik Eriksson, Thorsell and Pongrugthai all have good shots at goal deflected, before Thorsell scores by floating the ball over the onrushing Skiljebo keeper. Both teams exchange chances before Mats Johansson once again finds Thorsell in the area and it’s 2-0! We continue to push forward, with Henrik Eriksson missing most of the opportunities created. The last minute of the first half became disastrous however. First Karlsson lost the man he was to mark, Niklas Isaksson, who reduced our lead. Then Mats Johansson, with two assists in the game, had to be replaced by Hansson due to injury. With force we came out and pushed forward in the second half to try and puncture the game, but chance after chance would be missed. In the end our pressure relaxed and I instructed the team to not push forward as much. Almost immediately thereafter Skiljebo came up in their first attack in the second half and equalised - to my great surprise and horror. Pushed the team forward again and Thorsell had a couple of great chances to score his hat trick, but missed. Thorsell did however hand us back the lead, courtesy of a shot from his feet being steered in to own goal by Skiljebo defender Emil Andersson. This time around I decide to keep the team forward and not let Skiljebo get up in the field to create any chances of scoring. Man of the match Mattias Thorsell sets up Henrik Eriksson for a chance of scoring in the last minute, but once again the latter misses a great chance. The game ends in a thrilling 3-2 victory. Well deserved!

Subs: Hansson (On for M.Johansson, 46), Eroglu (On for Fällström, 77), Ahlström (On for Claesson, 77).

Having 12 shots on goal, compared to Skiljebo’s 3, there was really no need for this game to become the thriller it became. Especially Henrik Eriksson must score on the multitude of chances that were set up for him. Difficult to asses the impact of the new 5-3-2 tactic from just one game, but I think it did help us create more chances than we have in previous games. We played very well and all in all I’m very happy with the team performance. Unfortunately though Mats Johansson will be sidelined for the next 3 weeks due to strained knee ligaments.

End Result: Skiljebo - Sirius 2-3 (1-2).

Sirius Goal scorers: Thorsell (5, 18), Own Goal (88).

Man of Match: Mattias Thorsell (8).

East Svealand Results: Forssa vs. Valsta/Syrianska 0-2 (played Saturday), Essinge vs. Sandvikens IF 2-1, Skiljebo vs. Sirius 2-3, Spårvägen vs. Lidingö 1-3, Väsby vs. Slätta 3-0, Visby vs. Topkapi 3-3.

Current League Table:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Lidingö 16 5 1 1 13 6 6 3 0 22 8 37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Valsta/Syrianska 16 5 1 1 17 10 4 2 3 22 20 30

3rd *** Sirius *** 16 4 2 2 11 7 4 2 2 8 8 28

4th Topkapi 16 4 3 0 18 10 3 2 4 20 18 26

5th Väsby 16 6 2 1 25 12 0 4 3 11 16 24

6th Visby 16 5 3 0 18 11 1 1 6 9 15 22

7th Sandvikens IF 16 3 4 1 14 10 2 2 4 8 9 21

8th Essinge 16 5 0 4 14 13 1 3 3 10 13 21

9th Spårvägen 16 3 2 3 12 12 2 3 3 13 13 20

10th Slätta 16 3 2 3 12 14 1 1 6 6 19 15

11th Skiljebo 16 1 4 4 10 16 1 1 5 3 15 11

12th Forssa 16 2 0 6 9 19 1 0 7 8 19 9

</pre>

20/9 -02: Watched my Sirius Reserves play away against Väsby Reserves. We controlled the game and won 2-0. Man of the match was Danish trialist Kent Nygaard. His trial week ended with this performance and it was enough to persuade me in to handing him a contract offer. He returned the same evening to Denmark to think through his options. Of the other two trialists midfielder Kenneth Olsson had a good game, but I’ve still decided against handing him a contract offer. Feel he lacks a bit too much in certain critical areas such as tackling, passing and positioning to become a quality midfielder. Scottish trialist Stuart Bryson failed to have a positive impact on the game, but he has another week to prove himself and I do feel he has more potential than the other two, although he can perhaps give a slightly lazy impression at times. Right winger Karl Abbas scored one goal and impressed enough to get promoted to the A-team. Decide to try and re-train him to play in the middle of the field, due to his lack in crossing ability. Also try and re-train Jesper Ahlström to play in the centre of the field so I can make better use of his good passing ability. Sittichai Pongrugthai, who is also under going the same re-training program, came to me that same evening to complain. He’s not happy at being moved in to the centre of the pitch. God knows why he‘s finding that to be so terrible!? While on the subject of re-training I’m also trying to get Staffan Wiklund to function as a striker. His speed and aerial ability could come well in handy at that side of the pitch too.

21/9 -02: Kenneth Olsson trial with the club ends and he leaves without securing a contract.

Sunday 22/9 -02:

Only make two changes for this game. The injured Mats Johansson is replaced by Per Hansson. Also Martin Åberg is fully recuperated from injury and reclaims a place in the central defence. Although on loan star Johan Karlsson has been one of my most consistent performers on field, he’s today - for the first time - confined to the bench. Feel I should use my own players as much as possible in order to give them first team experience, even if they're perhaps not of the same quality.

Sirius vs. Väsby

Attendance: 793 (Studenternas IP, Uppsala).

Sirius (5-3-2): Ung © – Wiklund, Poskiparta, Ã…berg – Fällström, Hansson - B.Eriksson, Claesson, – Pongrugthai - H.Eriksson, Thorsell.

Match Notes: In the opening minute Henrik Eriksson squares the ball for his brother Bengt, who’s shot is tipped wide to a result less corner. Both teams create opportunities, but some good defensive play keeps the ball out of the net. After 20 minutes played Andreas Fällström gets into the box and falls easily when the Väsby opponent goes in for the tackle. More than likely a dive by Fällström, but it gives us a penalty. Henrik Eriksson steps up and sends the ball and keeper in opposite directions, 1-0! If the penalty was dubious this time it was more clear the next time. Once again it was Fällström in the centre of attention as he was brutally up-hended inside the box. Perhaps aware of his previous mistake the referee this time decides against the obvious penalty ruling. Knowing all to well that the last penalty ruling was incorrect, I failed to get indignant over the referee’s poor show of judgement, but rather saw it as two wrongs making one right. Thorsell got the opportunity in the next sequence to tuck the ball away, but missed. Pongrugthai almost succeeded in a good solo run minutes later, but the effort was tipped wide by the Väsby keeper, Hamza Brajanac. The latter makes a brilliant late save from a close range header by Hansson, in the last chance of the first half. Thorsell seemed bothered by a troubling knee so I exchanged him in half time for Arnesson. Also Bengt Eriksson and Andreas Fällström were feeling of potential injuries, so they were both subbed early on in the second half. Arnesson missed an easy chance to score, whilst in the other end it was Andreas Eriksson that created trouble for my defence and forced Ung to make a good save. Simon made another good save later on, but was forced to capitulate on a Jannis Pappas strike in the 75th minute. Väsby now defended in numbers to keep the score square, whilst we pushed forward. Both teams created a good opportunity each, but no more goals were scored. A slightly disappointing 1-all draw the result.

Subs: Arnesson (On for Thorsell, 46), Ahlström (On for B.Eriksson, 56), Eroglu (On for Fällström, 63).

Even if the result was slightly disappointing, it did reflect the game well. A typical 1-all game with two good defences and mis-striking forwards. Not much else to add really. Will in the last games try even harder to put in players for the future in the starting XI - even if it might impact our results negatively. As it’s two weeks until the next game, I can concentrate my efforts on trying to find promising youngsters the bolster the squad meanwhile.

End Result: Sirius - Väsby 1-1 (1-0).

Sirius Goal scorers: H.Eriksson (20 pen).

Man of Match: Felix Wickman, Väsby (8).

East Svealand Results: Lidingö vs. Forssa 4-1, Sandvikens IF vs. Skiljebo 1-1, Sirius vs. Väsby 1-1, Slätta vs. Spårvägen 1-0, Topkapi vs. Essinge 3-2, Valsta/Syrianska vs. Visby 3-3.

23/9 -02: Andreas Fällström‘s agent went out publicly today to suggest that his client was about to leave the club. I confirmed that Fällström would be leaving the club soon as his contract was to expire and several clubs have shown interest in his signature. Personally I don’t feel Fällström will ever be more than a fringe player at the club, so I’m happy to let him go. According to the Swedish transfer regulations any club interested in his signature, while he’s still under contract, will be forced to pay us a sum of money - in this case £ 50,000. In my eyes that’s a good deal, so I won‘t make any attempts to stop him from leaving.

Two more promising youngsters joined the club today for a one week trial. Jani Rouhikko is a decent young Finnish goalkeeper, whilst Jesper Bengtsson is a Danish 16-year old quick midfielder/striker. Both look decent enough and I’ll probably try and make them permanent acquisitions.

26/9 -02: In the UEFA Cup First Round two of four Swedish teams progressed to the next round. AIK did manage to beat Barcelona at home 3-2, but despite an early lead they finally crashed out after loosing 3-1 at Nou Camp. Djurgården progressed due to the away goal rule after a 2-all aggregate against Belgian club Charleroi [1-2, 1-0]. Hammarby lost against Yugoslavian team Sartid, 3-5 aggregate [1-4, 2-1], whilst IFK Göteborg beat Grasshopper of Switzerland 4-3 [2-0, 2-3]. The First Round was otherwise notably lacking any big upsets and all the favourites progressed to the next round.

Stuart Bryson‘s trial has come to an end and he leaves the club, but he leaves it with a fresh contract offer to decide upon.

28/9 -02: Leeds United sign Liverpool forward Vladimir Smicer for a fee of £ 10,500,000. Not long ago Leeds was a club in financial crisis, but the arrival of new investors and Chairman Bill Rowe has seen the club get a massive cash influx, with some of that money now being spent on this transfer of the Czech international.

We too make a new signing as 16-year old Danish trialist Jesper Bengtsson signs on for a three year deal - signed on a free transfer:

Jesper Bengtsson (16), M/S/C.

A speedy youngster with good passing ability. Lacks somewhat in physical attributes, as would be expected with a 16-year old, but also in technique.

Stuart Bryson however, rejects the initial contract offer. An improved offer has now been lodged to persuade the Scot to sign. Erik Johansson returns from his month long loan spell with Lomma, after starting in three games and impressing in those.

30/9 -02: Jani Rouhikko‘s trial finishes and he leaves the club. I would have been willing to sign him as a back-up keeper, but he let me know that he was not willing to play in the reserves. Mats Johansson returns to light training after his knee injury.

1/10 -02: Kelvin Kerali returns from his loan with Frändefors after appearing in four games. Andreas Fällström agrees a deal that will take him to GAIS for £ 50,000 after snubbing 9 other clubs interested in his services. The deal will go through on the 14th of January next year. The board are no longer delighted with my performance as manager, merely pleased. Financially our sales made us go £ 32,147 plus, but we are still almost £ 300,000 in the red. Sittichai Pongrugthai has once again vented his extreme unhappiness with his training schedule(icon_rolleyes.gif).

3/10 -02: Stuart Bryson rejects my renewed contract offer and doesn’t really seem interested in signing for the club. As a consequence I cancel all contract negotiations. Norwegian 17-year old goalkeeper Hans Andreassen joins the club on a one week trial.

Arsenal have meanwhile opened the big spending purse to purchase the services of Italian international Cristiano Doni from Atalanta. The fee is believed to have landed at around £ 11,250,000.

4/10 -02: Jesper Ahlström suffered a damaged shoulder in training today and will be out for about 2 weeks. That’s a shame as I had planned on trying him in a central midfield position for Sundays game.

5/10 -02: Sweden played out a goalless draw away against Greece in the European Championship Qualifiers. At Old Trafford England beat Iceland 2-0, courtesy of strikes from David Beckham and Alan Smith. Watched the game myself on TV and was rather impressed by the Icelandic’s performance. Realise that there might be some bargains to be made in that country. It’s close and culturally connected to Sweden, so I might be able to lure a couple of players over. Will certainly try and look in to the situation there and see if any bargains can be made at the end of the season.

Yet another Norwegian trialist, 16-year old defender/midfielder Morten Svendsen, joins for a weeks training with the squad. According to my scout Emil Norling he’s a magnificent dribbler and could therefore be of interest to us.

Sunday 6/10 -02:

Start my re-haul of the team for proper with this game. In the starting XI only two players are older than 22 (Simon Ung, 25, and Henrik Eriksson, 28, being the two). Changes for this game is Andreas Eroglu stepping in to take the left winger position, instead of the soon to be leaving Andreas Fällström. Henrik Andersson gets the chance to start in his first game for the season, replacing Bengt Eriksson who’s future at the club seems unsure. Originally I had intended to play Jesper Ahlström in this position, but injury robbed him of the opportunity. Thomas Arnesson takes a place as striker instead of on loan star Mattias Thorsell, despite the latter’s recent show of good form. I’m taking a huge gamble for this game and would be delighted with earning a point. Spårvägen is a good, although unevenly performing, side that cannot be underestimated.

Spårvägen vs. Sirius

Attendance: 813 (Kristinebergs IP, Stockholm).

Sirius (5-3-2): Ung © – Wiklund, Poskiparta, Ã…berg – Eroglu, Hansson - Claesson, Andersson – Pongrugthai - Arnesson, H.Eriksson.

Match Notes: We start optimistically as Arnesson, Claesson and Eroglu all have shots skimming of the water drenched pitch and creating difficulties for the SpÃ¥rvägen keeper Nicklas Lundblad. Our own goalkeeper Simon Ung, has a close shave as he brings down a SpÃ¥rvägen player in the area, but fortunately the referee decides against the penalty ruling. Around the half hour mark Ung makes a brilliant save from a close range Patrick Manzilla strike. Moments later Hansson crosses the ball for Arnesson who’s furious strike is saved by Lundblad. An even first half that ends without any goals being scored. Playmaker Claesson starts a good attack, early in the second half, by hitting a 30 yard pass to Hansson who in turn crosses the ball for Eriksson - but his effort is unfortunately tipped to a result less corner. Eroglu has minutes later a shot grazing the bar. We are getting closer and closer, a goal is in the air. Henrik Andersson, having a very good game so far, runs down the right flank and serves a perfect cross that Henrik Eriksson can’t miss. Unfortunately Eriksson is ruled to have been offside. The goal is inevitable however and a bad goal kick from Lundblad finds the feet of Pongrugthai - who races forward, dribbles past the defenders and slots home a well deserved goal. We continue to play brilliantly and Henrik Eriksson comes very close to extending our lead in the following minute. The same minute as we took the lead, SpÃ¥rvägen made a couple of substitutions. One of the players to come in is a 17-year old striker with the strange artist name of Nollan (meaning “The Zeroâ€) making his debut. 10 minutes later he scores the equaliser, after Staffan Wiklund first had managed to clear the ball on the line, Nollan was in hand to score a very un-deserved goal. Make a few substitutions myself to try and mix things up. With only minutes to go Andersson crosses the ball for Thorsell. Thorsell’s shot is saved by Lundblad, but Abbas turns up to hit home the rebound - another debutant scoring in this game! Or so we thought at least… but incredibly the linesman is flagging for an offside on left winger Eroglu, who had no part in the situation. Our continuing bad luck grins us in the face once again as the referee rules out the goal for offside. In injury time Henrik Eriksson once again comes close with a shot skimming the bar, but - it was not to be.

Subs: Thorsell (On for Arnesson, 73), Karlsson (On for Claesson, 80), Abbas (On for Pongrugthai, 80).

I know I claimed I would be happy with a point before the game, but as the game progressed I can no longer stick with that statement. The entire team played admirably well and we came to dominate the game completely. Again it was a failure to score on the multitude of chances created, that robbed us of taking home all three points. That - and an amazingly stupid offside ruling on Abbas late goal by linesman and referee. Sure, Eroglu was offside, but he had nothing to do with the game situation that created the goal. Still, there’s no point in blaming the referee as these last games really don’t have that great a significance anyway, as we neither can achieve promotion nor are in danger of relegation...

End Result: Spårvägen - Sirius 1-1 (0-0).

Sirius Goal scorers: Pongrugthai (56).

Man of Match: Björn Rydberg, Spårvägen (9).

East Svealand Results: Essinge vs. Skiljebo 3-0, Forssa vs. Slätta 3-2, Spårvägen vs. Sirius 1-1, Topkapi vs. Valsta/Syrianska 3-0, Väsby vs. Sandvikens IF 1-0, Visby vs. Lidingö 1-0.

9/10 -02: In the European Championship Qualifiers Group 1, England went a top after hammering Moldova away 6-0. This at the same time as Iceland beat Russia at home in Reykjavík, 1-0. In Group 6 Sweden beat Northern Ireland at home 2-0, courtesy of goals from Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Henrik Larsson. Holland meanwhile beat Luxembourg in Amsterdam to top the group. Holland failed to impress however, only managing two shots on goal the entire game. The goal came courtesy of a Jaap Stam header after a corner in the 42nd minute. Other notable results were that San Marino, Malta and The Faroe Islands all earned themselves a point each against Armenia, Estonia and Latvia respectively. France were meanwhile held to a 1-1 draw against Ukraine at Stade de France after an injury time equaliser by Vorobey.

10/10 -02: Hans Andreassen leaves the club after finishing his week long trial. I tried to secure his signature on a contract, but his demands were too high for only being intended as a back-up keeper. Andreas Fällström will meanwhile be out for a month after suffering a groin strain in training. Mats Johansson returns to full training after his injury spell.

12/10 -02: Morten Svendsen finishes his trial and leaves the club, he does so with a fresh contract offer, but he later decides to turn it down.

18/10 -02: Husqvarna make a £ 26,000 bid for Henrik Andersson. Although the player is transfer listed I found the offer to be too far away from our evaluation of the player which currently lies at £ 80,000. Jonas Bylund‘s contract will expire after this season and I have therefore offered him a new contract, but now I also have competition from several other clubs that wish to sign him.

Sunday 20/10 -02:

As the team played so well in the last game I decide to use the exact same starting XI for this game. We meet Forssa that currently are fighting against relegation. “A game we should win comfortably“ I uttered confidently in a pre-game interview.

Sirius vs. Forssa

Attendance: 791 (Studenternas IP, Uppsala).

Weather: Dry 10°C.

Sirius (5-3-2): Ung © – Wiklund, Poskiparta, Ã…berg – Eroglu, Hansson - Claesson, Andersson – Pongrugthai - Arnesson, H.Eriksson.

Match Notes: â€A game we should win comfortably†those were the words that I soon would have to swallow. Forssa striker Anders Löfling set up his partner Toledo for an early opener, with only three minutes on the clock. Fortunately we have a quick answer. After only six minutes played, Henrik Andersson takes the ball inside the box and scores his first ever goal and the equaliser in this game. Andersson seems on fire and soon sets up himself once again for a good shot at goal, this time saved by Stefan Lille in the Forssa goal. Minutes later it’s Andersson that’s the mastermind when setting up our second goal. He searches out Hansson on the right wing with a good pass and Hansson in turn crosses the ball for Arnesson to tuck away. In the next attack Arnesson again scores on a great cross - this time from Eroglu, and it’s 3-1 after only 15 minutes played! Arnesson is having a magnificent first half and comes very close to scoring his hat trick just before half time, but Lille makes a good save on the close range effort. The two men of the match so far, Henrik Andersson and Thomas Arnesson, combines in the seconds half’s opening minute to produce the latter’s hat trick and a safe 4-1 lead. Simon Ung makes a good save from a curling Bernhard Brcic free kick, and moments later Pongrugthai spins past the same Brcic in to the box and comes close to scoring. Ung also denies Toledo from scoring his second for the day after a brilliant save. We relax somewhat, which hands Forssa a couple of opportunities, but the score line ends in an impressive 4-1 victory.

Subs: Abbas (On for Pongrugthai, 63), Thorsell (On for Eroglu, 77), B.Eriksson (On for H.Eriksson, 87).

Maybe I’ve stumbled over something here!? The way the team performed today and in the last games gives me some hope for the future. Henrik Andersson has with his performances proved that I was wrong not use him in the starting XI before. Arnesson has on the other hand been handed the opportunity to prove himself at many occasions, but it was first today that everything fell in place for him. It’s obviously too early to judge our performances as we have, to be honest, met teams we normally should beat. The next three games will put us to more difficult tests I’m sure. For Forssa this loss means they can at best reach the play-offs.

End Result: Sirius - Forssa 4-1 (3-1).

Sirius Goal scorers: Andersson (6), Arnesson (13, 15, 47).

Man of Match: Thomas Arnesson (10).

East Svealand Results: Lidingö vs. Topkapi 3-2, Sandvikens IF vs. Spårvägen 1-2, Sirius vs. Forssa 4-1, Skiljebo vs. Väsby 1-1, Slätta vs. Visby 0-2, Valsta/Syrianska vs. Essinge 2-1.

Danish youngster Jesper Dogan joins on a one week trial at the club. He looks quite promising and I’m hoping to put his name to a contract.

Watched the sports broadcast on TV, while enjoying a post-match whiskey at the bar were I‘ve now started to become a regular. Djurgården’s unbeaten run of 16 games came to an end in Allsvenskan, after loosing to Halmstad 3-1, but Djurgården are still 4 points ahead of the chasing pack with only four rounds left to be played. Looks like Djurgården can retain the Premiership title after a 34 year long wait. They came close last year, but were eventually pipped on the finishing line by Stockholm rivals Hammarby. IFK Norrköping, on the other hand, have had a troubled season in Allsvenskan and are dangerously close to becoming relegated. As a consequence manager Håkan Ericksson was sacked today. Superettan (Division 1) side Västra Frölunda have also experienced a disappointing season and have now sacked their manager Lars-Olof Mattson. Internationally Fabio Cannavaro suffered a broken leg in Inter’s Serie A game against Triestina (Inter won 3-0) and will be out for about 5 months. After a few more shots of whiskey I would also find myself knocked out - at least for the night.

23/10 -02: Jonas Bylund decides to join IFK Luleå when his contract expires on the 15th of January next year. We will be given £ 5,000 according to Swedish transfer regulations.

Had a date for Wednesday evening. I had met a cute brown eyed-girl in her early twenties earlier that same day. I had been downtown shopping and had asked her for her opinion about a pair of jeans I was trying on. Did they fit well, look good? She concluded I had bad taste in clothes and proceeded to help me find a more suitable pair. We got to talking and I asked her out. Now we sat opposite each other in a restaurant talking about superficial things, as strangers do. As we ate and drank glass after glass of wine, the conversation relaxed. Came to talk about the subject of sports. Asked her innocently what she thought of football. As I sat drowning in her sparkling brown eyes, she mouthed words - then sentences and whole chapters of the utter stupid ness of football and football fans in general. How someone can become so engrossed by a meaningless game she could not understand: “I mean get a life!â€. She continued to say that she thought football had a negative effect on the already endangered male brain capacity. “Fortunately you seem to be one of the exceptions†she said in a low voice as her eyes sparkled even brighter. “By the way. I don’t think you ever told me what you do†she continued… As I truthfully answered, I could see her eyes reflect her feelings; from playful to sheer horror. The waiter interrupted us to ask if we wanted dessert. “No… I don’t think so†I said. “Just the check will be fine thank youâ€â€¦

24/10 -02: Jesper Ahlström resumed full training today, but unfortunately Karl Abbas will be sidelined for the next couple of weeks after sustaining a damaged foot in training.

25/10 -02: Sirius Reserves entertained Visby Reserves in a thrilling 2-3 loss. Coach Andrey Ogolev was in particular good form and as a consequence I’ve now promoted him to the senior playing squad - although he’ll still be in charge of coaching the reserves.

26/10 -02: Bengt Eriksson today put his name to a new 2 year contract, ending speculation that he’d be leaving the club after this season.

Leaving is however Jan Jönsson of Landskrona BOIS. After a bad season the team now look like falling out of Allsvenskan and in a desperate attempt to change things around, manager Jan Jönsson was sacked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

and the winner is...

Sirius - Rising Star by McRob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would like to thank everyone for voting for my little story. Very proud to receive this award for Best Northern/Eastern European Story. I guess someone must reading after all… icon_wink.gif

Thanks a lot! Hope I can continue to produce a story that someone (else but me) wants to read icon_smile.gif

Now back to the story...

Sunday 27/10 -02:

Taking the ferry over to the island of Gotland to meet Visby Gute is never an easy task. They are currently sixth in the league, only four points behind ourselves, so it’ll be a difficult game for sure. I will play the same team as in the last couple of games and now they’ll definitely be put to the test. Will be interesting to see the result…

Visby vs. Sirius

Attendance: 1492 (Gutavallen, Visby).

Weather: Wet 10°C.

Match Notes: In the opening minutes Hansson passes the ball into the area for Henrik Eriksson to hit on the volley. Despite Henrik volleying with his weaker left foot, it hit’s the bar. Henrik is first to the rebound and squares the ball for Claesson, who unfortunately can’t keep his effort down. Moments later Pongrugthai and Eriksson exchanges passes which leads to Henrik being given a good goal scoring opportunity, but his shot hit’s the cross bar. Visby now get their first chances at goal, but a couple of good interventions by Wiklund and a brave save down low by Simon Ung keeps a clean sheet for the time being. A dangerous tackle from Poskiparta results in a yellow card and a free kick just outside of the area minutes later. Visby’s Markus Björklund hit’s the shot that finds Ung rooted at the spot - it’s 1-up for Visby. Arnesson and Pongrugthai have both good chances of equalising around the half hour mark, but both of them squanders the opportunities. Just before half time Visby hit us on the counter attack, a move that is finished clinically by forward Dennis Olsson. To get back in to the game we need to quickly reduce Visby’s lead. We do also create some half chances, with most of our creative play coming from the feet of Andreas Eroglu - who also has the best opportunity of scoring, but doesn’t do better than putting his effort straight in to the arms of the Visby goalkeeper. Pongrugthai has a header from close range saved just after the hour mark. In the end we do finally score from our multitude of chances when Henrik Eriksson picks up a rebound, from a Claesson shot at goal, and easily puts it into the wide open goal. We push forward the remaining time on the clock, but never get that golden opportunity to equalise the game. Instead Visby stand as winners when the final whistle is blown.

Subs: Karlsson (On for Poskiparta, 58), Thorsell (On for Arnesson, 66), M.Johansson (On for Pongrugthai, 76).

Once again we’ll feel unlucky with the result. As usual we created the vast majority of chances but failed to convert them into goals. Rather telling was that Visby’s goalkeeper was named man of match. Still, no reason to be let down - most players performed quite well, the only notable exceptions being Ung, Poskiparta and Arnesson who all played below par today.

End Result: Visby - Sirius 2-1 (2-0).

Sirius Goal scorers: H.Eriksson (68).

Man of Match: Mikael Syring, Visby (8).

East Svealand Results: Forssa vs. Sandvikens IF 3-0 (played Saturday), Essinge vs. Väsby 4-1, Spårvägen vs. Skiljebo 2-1, Topkapi vs. Slätta 3-1, Valsta/Syrianska vs. Lidingö 2-2, Visby vs. Sirius 2-1.

Current League Table:

1st Pl Lidingö 20 7 1 1 20 9 6 4 1 24 11 44

2nd Topkapi 20 7 3 0 27 13 3 2 5 22 21 35

3rd Valsta/Syrianska 20 6 3 1 24 16 4 2 4 22 23 35

4th *** Sirius *** 20 5 3 2 16 9 4 3 3 10 11 33

5th Visby 20 7 3 0 21 12 2 2 6 14 18 32

6th Väsby 20 7 2 1 26 12 0 6 4 14 22 29

7th Essinge 20 7 0 4 21 14 1 3 5 13 18 27

8th Spårvägen 20 4 3 3 15 14 3 3 4 15 15 27

9th Sandvikens IF 20 3 5 2 16 13 2 2 6 8 13 22

10th Slätta 20 4 2 4 13 16 1 1 8 9 25 18

11th Pl Forssa 20 4 0 6 15 21 1 0 9 10 27 15

12th Pl Skiljebo 20 1 5 4 11 17 1 2 7 5 21 13

</pre>

Lidingö make it to the promotional play-offs, as they are already crowned winners of the East Svealand group - with two rounds yet to be played, while Forssa and Skiljebo at the other end can at best fight for survival in the relegation play-offs.

31/10 -02: Inter have had a couple of tough weeks. First the long term injury to key defender Fabio Cannavaro - then the derby loss against Milan (0-1), which created angry demonstrations from the own supporters. Today Inter crashed out of the UEFA Cup 2nd Round. Inter had a draw (0-0) from the away game against Liverpool, but failed to win on home turf. The game ended 1-1 and Liverpool could progress to the next round due to the away goal rule. Another top Italian club to go crashing out of the UEFA Cup was Lazio, that lost against Scottish side Celtic on a 3-2 aggregate [1-1, 2-1]. However, good news for Lazio is that their considerable economic troubles seem to have been dealt with, as new investors have pumped in money to pay off the clubs enormous debts. Much the same deal which happened with Leeds earlier this year. Leeds now also found themselves crashing out of the UEFA Cup after loosing on away goal rule against Croatian outfit NK Dinamo [1-2, 1-0]. Swedish sides Djurgården and IFK Göteborg both lost against Spanish sides. Valencia beat IFK Göteborg 3-1 aggregate [1-0, 2-1] while Real Betis beat Djurgården 4-3 aggregate [2-2, 2-1].

IFK Norrköping meanwhile appoint an old favourite at the club, Olle Nordin, as their new manager.

1/11 -02: The board make their monthly statement indicating they are satisfied with my general management of the club and saying they’re pleased that I have built a rapport with the fans. Financially we went £ 31,145 in the red during the last month. Have tried to sell as many players as possible without loosing too much on the field, but we would need a huge transfer fee or promotion to get grips on the financial situation. I simply can’t perform miracles with the means available...

Saturday 2/11 -02:

We host a potentially thrilling game against second placed Topkapi from Kista in the second last round of the league. I decide to play the same starting eleven as in the last three games. No changes. The players will be properly put to the test in this game. Will have to especially look out for Topkapi forward Petter Holm, who has scored 19 goals in as many games - a very talented youngster indeed. A win in this game is a must if we're hoping to take a respectable league position behind the ever eloping Lidingö side.

Sirius vs. Topkapi

Attendance: 1498 (Studenternas IP, Uppsala).

Weather: Drizzle 8°C.

Match Notes: Despite playing on away field Topkapi entered the field with an attack minded team. However, it’s we that take the early lead, as some beautiful team play sees us passing the ball around the box and then in to Pongrugthai in the area - and he makes no mistake, 1-0! Pongrugthai almost makes it two, just moments later, as he picks up a loose ball and hammers it at goal - but this time the Topkapi keeper, Petri Anufrijeff, manages to make the save. Johan Claesson later sets up Henrik Eriksson for a golden opportunity, but Anufrijeff makes a brilliant fingertip save. He is forced to make one more fingertip save after Claesson whips in the resulting corner - straight at the head of Wikman. Claesson moves over to take the corner from the other side and this time finds Arnesson, who hit’s the ball high and hard into the top right hand corner, without a chance for Anufrijeff to save. Minutes later Henrik Andersson finds Eriksson in the area and it’s 3-0! Topkapi later grab a lifeline as Michailidis shoots in 3-1 from a distance. In the second half it’s Topkapi that keeps on pushing forward and in the 70th minute their efforts are rewarded when Flobecker reduces our lead to just one goal. We can however hold on to our lead without too much trouble in the last 20 minutes of the game and treat our fans with a win in our last home game for the season!

Subs: B.Eriksson (On for Claesson, 64), Ahlström (On for Poskiparta, 74), Thorsell (On for Arnesson, 88).

We took a well-deserved and thrilling victory over Topkapi. A good way to end our season on home turf. Very glad to see so many turning up for the event. Becoming more and more convinced I’ve found a tactic that can bring us success. It’s just (icon_rolleyes.gif!) a matter of adding some quality players to my ranks - and I think promotion is an attainable goal for next season.

End Result: Sirius - Topkapi 3-2 (3-1).

Sirius Goal scorers: Pongrugthai (10), Arnesson (20), H.Eriksson (24).

Man of Match: Sittichai Pongrugthai (9).

East Svealand Results: Lidingö vs. Essinge 1-1, Sandvikens IF vs. Visby 2-2, Sirius vs. Topkapi 3-2, Skiljebo vs. Forssa 3-2, Slätta vs. Valsta/Syrianska 1-3, Väsby vs. Spårvägen 1-0.

3/11 -02: Since Bylund announced his imminent departure from the club I’ve been looking for a new back-up keeper to add to my ranks. Today, under advice from my scout Emil Norling I moved to snap up 17-year old unproven Norwegian youngster Vegar Thoresen - signed on a free transfer.

Vegar Thoresen (17) Goalkeeper.

A tall, agile keeper that seems to be a decent prospect for the future. Will either way do as a back-up.

With one round still to be played Djurgården have won Allsvenskan and are the new Swedish Premiership Champions of 2002!

4/11 -02: Landskrona BOIS will be playing in Superettan (div 1) next year and have now appointed Sören Cratz as their new manager. One team that won’t be playing in Superettan is Häcken that are ready to be promoted to Allsvenskan. Åtvidaberg and Ängelholm will meanwhile be relegated from Superettan, to play here instead - in one of the Second Division regional groups - next year.

5/11 -02: Gustav Segerström re-joins Sirius after having been loaned out to fellow struggling league outfit Slätta - where he played 15 games from start.

Scout Joachim Lind, currently in Eastern Europe searching for young talents, gave me a phone call this evening to excitedly tell me about a 17-year old Russian rookie that he had found. He described him as being an excellent prospect for the future. If Joachim is right then this Georgy Chupin fellow could become the goal scorer we’ve so sorely been missing all through the season. Decide to gamble and give Lind the go ahead to try and persuade the youngster to sign a contract with us.

6/11 -02: The Champions League 1st Group Stage was finished today. The biggest surprise being Groningens advancement to the next group stage on the expense of Chelsea. Ajax failure to even qualify for the UEFA Cup, would also have to counted as rather surprising. The next group stage will, amongst other exiting games, contain the mouth watering contest between last years finalists - Manchester United and Juventus - in Group A. Man United that managed to pull off the feat of winning their six games in the first group phase - without conceding any goals!

Phase 1 Group A

1st Q Man Utd ENG 6 3 0 0 7 0 3 0 0 8 0 18

2nd Q Parma ITA 6 2 0 1 4 3 0 2 1 4 5 8

3rd Besiktas TUR 6 1 1 1 5 7 0 0 3 3 8 4

4th PAOK GRE 6 1 1 1 6 9 0 0 3 4 9 4

Phase 1 Group B

1st Q Bordeaux FRA 6 3 0 0 9 2 1 1 1 4 6 13

2nd Q Real Madrid ESP 6 3 0 0 12 0 1 0 2 4 6 12

3rd Rangers SCO 6 2 1 0 8 3 1 0 2 1 7 10

4th Rapid Vienna AUT 6 0 0 3 1 4 0 0 3 0 11 0

Phase 1 Group C

1st Q FC Bayern GER 6 3 0 0 6 0 3 0 0 6 1 18

2nd Q Groningen HOL 6 2 0 1 4 3 1 0 2 3 6 9

3rd Chelsea ENG 6 1 1 1 4 4 1 0 2 4 6 7

4th BATE BLR 6 0 0 3 4 7 0 1 2 1 5 1

Phase 1 Group D

1st Q Roma ITA 6 3 0 0 7 0 2 1 0 5 0 16

2nd Q Dinamo Kiev UKR 6 1 0 2 4 5 1 1 1 3 3 7

3rd Rosenborg NOR 6 1 0 2 3 8 1 0 2 3 7 6

4th Porto POR 6 1 2 0 3 1 0 0 3 3 7 5

Phase 1 Group E

1st Q Spartak Moscow RUS 6 2 1 0 6 2 1 0 2 4 6 10

2nd Q Deportivo ESP 6 2 0 1 5 1 1 1 1 1 2 10

3rd PSV HOL 6 1 1 1 2 3 2 0 1 2 2 10

4th Sporting POR 6 1 0 2 4 4 0 1 2 3 7 4

Phase 1 Group F

1st Q Juventus ITA 6 2 0 1 5 3 2 0 1 4 3 12

2nd Q Real Sociedad ESP 6 2 0 1 4 3 1 1 1 4 6 10

3rd FC København DEN 6 2 0 1 6 2 1 0 2 2 4 9

4th Ajax HOL 6 1 1 1 5 5 0 0 3 3 7 4

Phase 1 Group G

1st Q Milan ITA 6 3 0 0 6 0 2 1 0 5 0 16

2nd Q Paris-SG FRA 6 1 2 0 1 0 1 0 2 2 5 8

3rd Blackburn ENG 6 1 0 2 3 6 1 1 1 2 1 7

4th Sparta Prague CZE 6 0 0 3 1 6 1 0 2 3 5 3

Phase 1 Group H

1st Q Arsenal ENG 6 3 0 0 6 1 1 1 1 5 3 13

2nd Q Hertha BSC GER 6 2 1 0 7 1 0 1 2 2 5 8

3rd OFI GRE 6 2 0 1 3 2 0 1 2 3 9 7

4th Lille FRA 6 0 2 1 4 7 1 0 2 1 3 5

</pre>

Isac Löwhagen returns the same evening from his loan spell with Torslanda where he started in 8 games. Unfortunately I had to inform him on his arrival that I don’t feel I need his services. I’ve therefore decided to put him on the transfer list. It’s tough, but the best decision for both club and player.

7/11 -02: After long - drawn out - negotiations I can finally land the signature of promising Danish youngster Jesper Dogan - signed on a free transfer.

Jesper Dogan (18) Defender/Defensive Midfielder (Right).

A very hard working and hard tackling talent. Also very creative. Looks like he might have a bright future ahead of him, who knows...

Sunday 10/11 -02:

We end the season by travelling a couple of miles south to battle it out with Valsta/Syrianska for honour, who gets the runners-up spot in the league after Lidingö? I play the same team as in recent games and hope for the best…

Valsta/Syrianska vs. Sirius

Attendance: 2453 (Ärlingshedens IP, Märsta).

Weather: Dry 10°C.

Match Notes: Valsta/Syrianska push forward and create several good chances without scoring during the first half hour of the game. Simon Ung makes a couple of good saves before we in turn have a good opportunity squandered by Henrik Eriksson upfront. We create one more great chance when Arnesson sets up Pongrugthai for a shot inside the area. The sizzling shot comes close, but the keeper can tip it wide. The game swings back and forth. Kenneth Andersson has a good opportunity to score for Valsta/Syrianska, but sees Ung tip it wide. Minutes later the sequence is repeated, but in-between Kenneth's chances Claesson sets up Arnesson for a shot that the Valsta keeper makes a good save on. Despite the open play and many chances for both teams, the first half ends without any goals being scored, mostly due to two very good goalkeepers. Simon Ung keeps up his brilliant display by making a great double save as the second half begins. The Valsta/Syrianska keeper, Niklas Bergh, doesn’t want to be worse and also starts off by making an amazing double save from Arnesson and Pongrugthai efforts. After the hour mark Simon Ung makes yet another brilliant save to keep us level. At the same time I make my last substitutions, all forced because of potential injuries. I am forced to switch around players in different positions and amongst other changes Wiklund is put upfront as a striker. He also gets a chance soon thereafter, but his effort is easy for Niklas Bergh to save. The latter makes another good save from a Thomas Arnesson effort just minutes later. Valsta/Syrianska scores a goal in the 80th minute, but fortunately Oskar Tilly was offside when he scored. The home team continue to have good chances and have one shot hitting the cross bar after a corner, but - no goals were to be scored this day.

Subs: M.Johansson (On for Eroglu, 57), Karlsson (On for Pongrugthai, 66), Thorsell (On for H.Eriksson, 66).

How on earth this game could end without any goals being scored is beyond me. Credit must go to both goalkeepers who made one incredible save after the other. The result of this game, and because Topkapi won their last game, mean that we end up falling down to a final 4th position in the league. A quite decent result all things considered I guess. As expected Forssa and Skiljebo are relegated from our group. Slätta will fight a relegation play-off game, while Lidingö have the chance to get promoted via the Second Division promotional play-offs.

End Result: Valsta/Syrianska - Sirius 0-0.

Man of Match: Simon Ung (8).

East Svealand Results: Forssa vs. Väsby 0-1, Lidingö vs. Slätta 2-0, Spårvägen vs. Essinge 1-3, Topkapi vs. Sandvikens IF 2-1, Valsta/Syrianska vs. Sirius 0-0, Visby vs. Skiljebo 1-0.

Swedish Final League Tables / 2002 Season

================================================================================================

Swedish Second Division, Regional Groups, 2002 Table

================================================================================================

North

1st Pl Umeå FC 22 9 2 0 28 9 9 1 1 24 8 57

2nd Robertsfors 22 8 1 2 25 13 4 3 4 15 17 40

3rd Kiruna 22 8 3 0 23 9 2 4 5 13 16 37

4th Boden 22 8 1 2 25 14 2 3 6 11 19 34

5th Östersunds FK 22 5 2 4 15 16 4 2 5 14 15 31

6th Skellefteå AIK 22 7 1 3 14 9 2 3 6 14 25 31

7th Friska Viljor 22 4 2 5 14 18 3 4 4 23 24 27

8th Älvsby 22 4 5 2 14 12 1 5 5 11 17 25

9th Söderhamn 22 6 1 4 21 17 1 2 8 14 26 24

10th Pl Piteå 22 5 4 2 21 17 1 1 9 8 23 23

11th R Timrå 22 3 6 2 21 17 0 2 9 11 26 17

12th R IFK Luleå 22 3 5 3 17 15 0 3 8 8 22 17

East Svealand

1st Pl Lidingö 22 8 2 1 23 10 6 4 1 24 11 48

2nd Valsta/Syrianska 22 6 4 1 24 16 5 2 4 25 24 39

3rd Topkapi 22 8 3 0 29 14 3 2 6 24 24 38

4th *** Sirius *** 22 6 3 2 19 11 4 4 3 10 11 37

5th Visby 22 8 3 0 22 12 2 3 6 16 20 36

6th Väsby 22 8 2 1 27 12 1 6 4 15 22 35

7th Essinge 22 7 0 4 21 14 2 4 5 17 20 31

8th Spårvägen 22 4 3 4 16 17 3 3 5 15 16 27

9th Sandvikens IF 22 3 6 2 18 15 2 2 7 9 15 23

10th Pl Slätta 22 4 2 5 14 19 1 1 9 9 27 18

11th R Skiljebo 22 2 5 4 14 19 1 2 8 5 22 16

12th R Forssa 22 4 0 7 15 22 1 0 10 12 30 15

West Svealand

1st Pl Värtan 22 7 4 0 24 9 5 4 2 16 13 44

2nd Forward 22 8 2 1 28 12 5 2 4 17 16 43

3rd Rynninge 22 8 1 2 23 10 3 6 2 20 15 40

4th Degerfors 22 8 1 2 18 9 4 1 6 17 20 38

5th Sleipner 22 6 1 4 20 13 3 2 6 6 11 30

6th Ölme 22 7 0 4 23 15 3 0 8 19 26 30

7th Syrianska 22 5 4 2 21 15 3 2 6 18 24 30

8th Södra FF 22 5 3 3 14 11 3 2 6 15 22 29

9th Eskilstuna City 22 5 2 4 22 21 3 1 7 12 22 27

10th Pl Ludvika 22 3 5 3 17 17 3 2 6 9 16 25

11th R Vallentuna 22 4 3 4 16 15 2 3 6 15 25 24

12th R Karlslund 22 2 1 8 9 25 0 2 9 8 25 9

East Götaland

1st Pl Myresjö 22 9 2 0 21 4 7 1 3 20 13 51

2nd Husqvarna 22 8 2 1 29 12 4 4 3 24 24 42

3rd Motala 22 7 3 1 21 12 5 2 4 16 17 41

4th Nybro 22 8 1 2 27 11 3 4 4 15 22 38

5th IFK Värnamo 22 4 5 2 22 18 4 1 6 13 17 30

6th Norrby 22 5 2 4 15 12 3 3 5 14 16 29

7th Tidaholms GoIF 22 5 3 3 21 18 3 2 6 14 21 29

8th Jönköping Södra 22 6 2 3 17 13 0 6 5 5 14 26

9th Hjulsbro 22 4 4 3 14 10 1 3 7 9 21 22

10th Pl Grimsås 22 4 2 5 12 14 2 1 8 10 22 21

11th R Linköping 22 3 3 5 16 17 2 1 8 13 24 19

12th R Tord 22 2 2 7 12 21 2 3 6 9 16 17

West Götaland

1st Pl GAIS 22 10 1 0 28 8 6 4 1 20 14 53

2nd Ytterby 22 8 2 1 30 15 4 2 5 22 22 40

3rd Gunnilse 22 7 4 0 25 13 4 2 5 17 18 39

4th Ljungskile 22 7 2 2 20 15 4 4 3 20 20 39

5th Skärhamn 22 4 3 4 19 16 6 2 3 20 16 35

6th FC Trollhättan 22 5 1 5 16 16 4 2 5 13 17 30

7th Sandared 22 6 1 4 20 15 2 2 7 15 21 27

8th Qviding 22 5 3 3 15 14 2 1 8 11 23 25

9th Lunden 22 6 0 5 23 21 1 3 7 8 17 24

10th Pl Torslanda 22 3 4 4 11 12 2 3 6 15 25 22

11th R Heimer 22 3 3 5 16 19 2 1 8 14 25 19

12th R Askim 22 2 5 4 15 19 0 3 8 8 20 14

South Götaland

1st Pl Helsingborg Södra 22 7 3 1 23 6 7 2 2 31 19 47

2nd IFK Trelleborg 22 7 2 2 28 21 6 2 3 18 14 43

3rd Lunds BK 22 7 2 2 26 19 4 3 4 17 14 38

4th Ystads IF 22 7 4 0 19 8 2 4 5 18 22 35

5th Falkenberg 22 7 2 2 21 15 3 3 5 15 18 35

6th Höllviken 22 2 2 7 13 16 8 1 2 26 16 33

7th Laholm 22 4 3 4 12 13 5 2 4 16 12 32

8th Hässleholm 22 4 2 5 16 17 4 1 6 13 18 27

9th Högaborg 22 4 1 6 11 16 2 3 6 12 21 22

10th Pl Karlskrona 22 6 1 4 21 19 1 0 10 5 27 22

11th R Leikin 22 3 2 6 12 18 3 1 7 11 18 21

12th R Växjö Norra 22 3 1 7 17 22 1 3 7 8 20 16

Swedish First Division (Superettan) 2002 Table

1st C Häcken 30 13 1 1 38 7 7 2 6 24 20 63

2nd P Café Opera 30 9 2 4 29 20 5 4 6 22 24 48

3rd Pl Brommapojkarna 30 9 1 5 29 19 5 2 8 23 26 45

4th Mjällby 30 8 5 2 32 22 3 7 5 26 31 45

5th Trelleborg 30 9 2 4 32 19 4 3 8 18 23 44

6th Brage 30 10 2 3 26 14 3 3 9 20 30 44

7th Enköpings SK 30 8 6 1 29 18 4 2 9 19 32 44

8th Sylvia 30 9 3 3 35 19 3 4 8 17 25 43

9th Assyriska 30 6 6 3 26 19 5 4 6 13 15 43

10th Västra Frölunda 30 7 5 3 25 19 4 4 7 24 35 42

11th IFK Malmö 30 6 6 3 31 24 5 2 8 24 33 41

12th Västerås SK 30 7 2 6 24 20 4 4 7 12 21 39

13th Öster 30 8 4 3 25 17 2 4 9 22 36 38

14th R Gefle 30 8 3 4 25 18 2 4 9 17 31 37

15th R Ã…tvidaberg 30 7 4 4 25 21 2 4 9 20 33 35

16th R Ängelholm 30 3 3 9 18 35 0 2 13 10 34 14

Swedish Premier Division (Allsvenskan) 2002 Table

1st C Djurgården 26 6 6 1 21 16 10 0 3 27 16 54

2nd IFK Göteborg 26 7 3 3 18 11 7 3 3 22 18 48

3rd Elfsborg 26 8 2 3 29 17 5 5 3 22 19 46

4th Malmö FF 26 5 5 3 14 13 6 4 3 25 15 42

5th AIK 26 7 4 2 23 12 4 4 5 14 18 41

6th Helsingborg 26 7 3 3 29 23 4 5 4 16 17 41

7th Halmstad 26 5 6 2 21 15 4 5 4 18 18 38

8th Örebro 26 6 2 5 20 20 3 6 4 15 19 35

9th Hammarby 26 7 3 3 20 12 2 3 8 17 26 33

10th GIF Sundsvall 26 3 5 5 21 23 4 1 8 14 22 27

11th ÖIS 26 5 3 5 14 16 1 6 6 6 15 27

12th Pl Norrköping 26 5 4 4 15 11 1 2 10 9 24 24

13th R Kalmar FF 26 4 3 6 16 17 1 3 9 11 22 21

14th R Landskrona 26 4 1 8 22 27 1 3 9 17 34 19

</pre>

Sirius 2002 Season Round-up:

With the season now over for us, it’s time for me to look back at the season passed. What lessons can be learned and where do we stand now?

The season started very well with us topping the group for almost half of the season, but then something happened. Injuries and suspensions took their toll on my slim squad. Hit by bad form and the inability to find any new signings, due to the clubs retched economy, made us unable to stage a comeback until it was already too late. Experienced players have been sold off in an attempt to salvage the clubs poor economy, whilst inexperienced youngsters have been either promoted from the youth set-up or signed on free transfers in their place. Despite the sales the club looks like only going deeper in to debt. All things considered I’m pleased with the fourth position in the league, we simply did not have what it took to challenge Lidingö - who on the other hand had a surprisingly good season. Still, if one has any serious hopes of becoming promoted, then you must count on gathering around 50 points in the 22 games played. We only took 37 and even with maximum of luck I seriously doubt that we would have collected more than 45 at best. Will have to look forward to next season instead. Impossible to guess what we might be able to accomplish then though. It all depends on which new signings I can bring to the club. The team needs to be strengthened in several areas if we are to be a credible promotional candidate. At the same time the economy must be kept in check and the only way to accomplish that is by selling players. A difficult road to tread in other words. I believe the off-season will decide our future fate...

SIRIUS 2002 Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

- Abbas, Karl 0 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

- Ã…berg, Martin 19 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 7.21

- Ahlström, Jesper 17 (3) 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 6.60

- Andersson, Henrik 5 (3) 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 6.88

- Arnesson, Thomas 13 (6) 6 0 0 1 0 0 1 6.74

- Bengtsson, Jesper - - - - - - - - ----

- Bylund, Jonas 9 (1) 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 7.50

- Carls, Jonas - - - - - - - - ----

- Claesson, Johan 24 2 0 0 3 3 0 0 7.04

- Dogan, Jesper - - - - - - - - ----

- Eriksson, Bengt 19 (2) 2 0 0 5 2 0 0 6.71

- Eriksson, Henrik 19 (4) 8 0 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 6.61

- Eroglu, Andreas 9 (3) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.92

- Fällström, Andreas 3 (7) 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 6.60

- Granberg, Petter - - - - - - - - ----

- Hansson, Per 12 (9) 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 6.52

- Johansson, Erik 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

- Johansson, Kjell - - - - - - - - ----

- Johansson, Mats 16 (2) 0 0 0 2 2 1 0 6.22

- Karlsson, Johan 18 (3) 0 0 0 1 2 0 2 7.00

- Kerali, Kelvin 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

- Löwhagen, Isac 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

- Ogolev, Andrey - - - - - - - - ----

- Olofsson, Rikard - - - - - - - - ----

- Pongrugthai, Sittichai 21 (1) 6 0 0 1 0 0 6 7.18

- Poskiparta, Jani 11 (1) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.42

- Segerström, Gustav 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

- Simon Ung 15 0 17 0 0 0 1 2 6.93

- Strand, Atle - - - - - - - - ----

- Thoresen, Vegar - - - - - - - - ----

- Thorsell, Mattias 15 (5) 5 0 0 2 0 0 2 6.90

- Wiklund, Staffan 17 (6) 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 6.70

2002 Transfers

Date Player In From Fee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

12.3.02 Johan Karlsson Elfsborg Loan

21.3.02 Jesper Ahlström Free Transfer Free

25.4.02 Simon Ung Free Transfer Free

29.4.02 Mattias Thorsell GIF Sundsvall Loan

6.5.02 Andrey Ogolev Free Transfer Free

19.5.02 Jani Poskiparta Free Transfer Free

19.7.02 Atle Strand Free Transfer Free

28.9.02 Jesper Bengtsson Free Transfer Free

2.11.02 Vegar Thoresen Free Transfer Free

7.11.02 Jesper Dogan Free Transfer Free

Date Player Out To Fee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

12.4.02 Magnus Wikman Högaborg £30K

14.4.02 Erik Johansson Växjö Norra Loan

19.4.02 Magnus Svanfeldt Husqvarna £30K

8.5.02 Gustav Segerström Slätta Loan

10.5.02 Andreas Eroglu Norra VÃ¥nga Loan

17.5.02 Erik Johansson Askim Loan

5.6.02 Magnus Fohlman Syrianska £16K

7.6.02 Isac Löwhagen Torslanda Loan

9.6.02 Andreas Eroglu Lidingö Loan

2.7.02 Erik Johansson Rödeby Loan

20.7.02 Andreas Eroglu Smögen Loan

30.7.02 Erik Johansson Sandared Loan

30.8.02 Erik Johansson Lomma Loan

1.9.02 Antouman Jallow Landskrona £40K

4.9.02 Kelvin Kerali Frändefors Loan

12.9.02 Johan Pettersson Bryne £24K

=======================================================================================

2002 Fixtures

=======================================================================================

Date Opposition Ven Competition Res Attend

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23.3.02 Vindhemspojkarna A Friendly 3:2 554

27.3.02 Gamla Uppsala A Friendly 0:0 636

30.3.02 Kvarnsveden A Friendly 3:2 976

7.4.02 Lidingö A Second Division E.S 1:0 1282

14.4.02 Slätta H Second Division E.S 2:0 841

21.4.02 Essinge H Second Division E.S 1:1 1041

28.4.02 Sandvikens IF A Second Division E.S 0:0 1915

5.5.02 Skiljebo H Second Division E.S 2:0 785

12.5.02 Väsby A Second Division E.S 1:1 949

19.5.02 Spårvägen H Second Division E.S 1:0 1293

9.6.02 Forssa A Second Division E.S 1:0 737

21.7.02 Visby H Second Division E.S 3:2 1521

28.7.02 Björnlunda A Swedish Cup Grp 7 1st Rnd 4:1 598

4.8.02 Topkapi A Second Division E.S 0:3 1989

11.8.02 Valsta/Syrianska H Second Division E.S 1:2 1492

18.8.02 Lidingö H Second Division E.S 1:1 838

25.8.02 Slätta A Second Division E.S 2:1 1264

28.8.02 AIK H Swedish Cup Grp 7 2nd Rnd 0:2 4963

1.9.02 Essinge A Second Division E.S 0:1 1819

8.9.02 Sandvikens IF H Second Division E.S 0:1 947

15.9.02 Skiljebo A Second Division E.S 3:2 759

22.9.02 Väsby H Second Division E.S 1:1 793

6.10.02 Spårvägen A Second Division E.S 1:1 813

20.10.02 Forssa H Second Division E.S 4:1 791

27.10.02 Visby A Second Division E.S 1:2 1492

2.11.02 Topkapi H Second Division E.S 3:2 1498

10.11.02 Valsta/Syrianska A Second Division E.S 0:0 2453

</pre>

During the evening I said goodbye to our on loan star Johan Karlsson who’s played very well for us the entire season. One of my most consistent players, despite the fact that he played out of position in central defence - when normally being a defensive midfielder. He adapted well and I wish him the best of luck for the future as he now returns to his club Elfsborg.

As Karlsson leaves the club I can welcome a new face. It’s the Russian youngster Georgy Chupin signed on a free transfer that arrives. Will be interesting to see this youngster in action as my scout was so over the moon about him, with the following report:

Georgy Chupin (17) F/RC.

Very strong, good header, determined and fast. Chupin has what it takes to make it. A great signing that could make a difference already for next season, despite his tender age.

12/11 -02: Karl Abbas and Andreas Fällström both resumes full training after injuries. Another youngster discovered by my scouts, 20-year old Dutch youngster John van Schijndel was signed on a free transfer:

John van Schijndel (20) Defender (Centre).

A tall central defender with good positional play and stamina. Looks like a good talent at this level of game.

15/11 -02: Hamburger SV signs Danish international Ebbe Sand from Schalke 04 for a fee of £ 11,000,000.

16/11 -02: Belenenses make a £ 55,000 bid for Sittichai Pongrugthai. Despite the players continuing bitching about his troubles in motivating himself during training, I decline the bid. He’s worth more to us than this bid. Any player in the squad is for sale, but only at the right price.

18/11 -02: Kim Källström signs on for Dutch side Feyenoord from Djurgården for a fee of £ 4,300,000. This sale may make it difficult for Djurgården to defend their Swedish Championship trophy for next season.

19/11 -02: Arsenals 2-0 loss away to Parma in the Champions League 2nd Group stage, was followed by an angry demonstration by their own supporters. Arsenal are currently 3rd in the English Premiership after 13 games played. However, an incredible start from Liverpool (14 games, 13 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses, 20-2 goal difference, 40points) have seen Arsenal distanced with 16 points already...

23/11 -02: Jesper Ahlström suffered a bruised jaw in training and will be out for 10 days.

24/11 -02:

Allsvenskan Playoff:

IFK Norrköping vs. Brommapojkarna 5-3 [2-1, 3-2]

IFK Norrköping remains in Allsvenskan.

Second Division Promotion Playoff:

GAIS vs. Lidingö 2-1 [2-1, 0-0]

Hälsingborg Södra vs. Värtan 1-4 [1-4, 0-0]

Umeå FC vs. Myresjö 1-0 [1-0, 0-0]

GAIS, Värtan and Umeå FC promoted to Superettan.

Second Division Relegation Playoff First Round: (Third Division Promotional Playoff First Round)

Bälinge vs. IF Sävar 3-4 [3-3, 0-1]

Hangvar vs. Halmia 4-3 [1-0, 3-3]

Hudiksvall vs. Bunkeflo IF 2-3 [1-1, 1-2]

IFK Fjärås vs. Kållered 2-4 [1-2, 1-2]

Köping vs. Assi 3-1 [2-0, 1-1]

Markaryd vs. Delsbo 7-8 [5-8, 2-0]

IF Sävar, Hangvar, Bunkeflo IF, Kållered, Köping and Delsbo through to the Relegation Playoff Second Round.

IFK Lidingö, who won our group, failed to win their promotional game against GAIS. They were probably unfortunate to meet GAIS as the latter undoubtedly has the best team available in the Second Division. Still, Lidingö put up a good fight and were only one goal from getting promoted on the away goal rule. The big surprise of the Second Division this year would be the promotion of minnows Värtan to the First Division. The promotions of GAIS and Umeå FC on the other hand were expected as the two hold outstanding squads that will do well even in Superettan (1st div). IFK Norrköping meanwhile managed to beat off the challenge from Brommapojkarna to play another year in the top flight, Allsvenskan. Norrköping is a too good and well established team to be playing in Superettan, so their fans can draw a breath of relief now that the Allsvenskan contract has finally been saved.

Newcastle’s manager Alex Totten was today sacked after a slow start to the season and after the players had reportedly lost confidence in their managers ability. Newcastle later appoint Celtic’s manager Martin O’Neill as their new manager. Celtic in turn appoint Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl as their new manager.

28/11 -02: Mattias Thorsell has now completed his loan spell here at Sirius and returns back home to GIF Sundsvall. He did well here, but he was unfortunately not the impact player I had hoped for.

29/11 -02: Jesper Dogan suffered a thigh strain in training and won’t be fully fit for another two weeks.

2/12 -02: After several months of contract negotiations Scottish youngster Stuart Bryson was signed on a free transfer.

Stuart Bryson (18) Midfielder (Left/Centre).

A strong youngster, with decent passing ability and fine long shots. A bit uneven in his game it seems, but has some potential.

4/12 -02: With the hope of selling players, to lighten up the clubs financial situation and free place in the squad for new signings, six players have been placed on the transfer list: Bengt Eriksson, Henrik Eriksson, Petter Granberg, Kjell Johansson, Rikard Olofsson, Gustav Segerström.

5/12 -02: Receive a £ 80,000 transfer bid from Norwegian side Os for the services of Bengt Eriksson. Vallentuna meanwhile lodge a £ 26,000 bid for Gustav Segerström. Both transfer offers were gladly accepted as they met with my estimate of the players values.

In the UEFA Cup 3rd Round teams such as Chelsea (beat by Atlètico Madrid 2-1 aggregate), Rangers (beat by Betis 3-2 agg), Blackburn (beat by Celtic 1-0 agg), Dortmund (beat by Leverkusen 2-1 agg), Barcelona (beat by FC KØbenhavn 3-2 agg), PSV Eindhoven (beat by de Graafschap 2-1 agg) and Schalke 04 (beat by Rosenborg 4-1 agg) were eliminated from the competition.

6/12 -02: Bryne make a £ 26,000 bid for Gustav Segerström which is accepted and later this evening Gustav accepts the contract offer from the Norwegian side. Andreas Eroglu signs a new 2 year contract with the club.

7/12 -02: Bengt Eriksson sold to Os for £ 80,000. Gustav Segerström sold to Bryne for £ 26,000.

Second Division Relegation Playoff Second Round:

Bunkeflo IF vs. Karlskrona 6-3 [2-1, 4-2]

Delsbo vs. Slätta 4-1 [1-0, 3-1]

KÃ¥llered vs. Ludvika 3-4 [0-2, 3-2]

Köping vs. Grimsås a3-3 [1-3, 2-0]

Piteå vs. Hangvar 6-1 [4-1, 2-0]

Torslanda vs. IF Sävar a4-4 [3-3, 1-1]

Bunkeflo IF, Delsbo, Ludvika, Köping, Piteå and Torslanda win in Relegation Playoffs and will play Second Division football next season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chatham_Owl:

Great story. Unlucky on not achieving promotion. It'll come next season hopefully.

Where are Tyreso IF? Thought they played in East Svealand? I have a mate who live sin Tyreso so they're my team in Sweden.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tyresö FF actually plays in South Svealand I believe. In my game however they are still lingering in Division 3 I'm afraid...

Tyresö is a nice coastal town just outside of Stockholm, not that terribly far from Södertälje where I'm working at the moment. My job is by the way the reason why the story is moving forward slowly at the moment, but I'll keep on writing it for as long as I'm left in charge of Sirius. It would be great if I could bring my hometown team some long awaited success in the game, but it's not primarily what's driving me on. I enjoy playing the game LLM style and success or not won't make it less satisfying for me. So you can look forward to many yet instalments to this story, albeit it may be creeping along at the moment, but as soon as I have the time it will be moving faster again I promise...

• 2 weeks later...

Winter off-season; 2002/3

9/12 -02: Christian Vieri of Internazionale was described as a goal machine by a leading television expert today. Vieri’s wonderful form has however not been enough to save manager Héctor Raúl Cúper’s job. Internazionale’s 4th position in the league after 13 rounds and the crashing out of the UEFA Cup 2nd Round was enough to convince chairman Massimo Moratti that a change was overdue. Marco Tardelli later takes the vacant manager position.

12/12 -02: Manchester United complete the signing of Atlético Madrid playmaker Demetrio Albertini for a fee of £ 11,000,000.

13/12 -02: Jon Lundblad leaves Örebro under the Bosman ruling. Jon is a very talented forward that I’d love to add to my squad. However his salary demands could prove a stumbling block. He’s asking twice of what I can afford. English 34-year old central defender Charlie Bishop joins on an one week trial at the club.

15/12 -02: Juan Román Riquelme leaves Barcelona for Atlético Madrid. The Catalan club let’s Riquelme go for a fee of £ 11,750,000.

17/12 -02: Karl Ståhl signed on a free transfer. Ståhl was released by his club GIF Sundsvall a few weeks ago and although I would readily admit it being a gamble, I decided to try and sign him. This as plenty of other clubs have tried to persuade him in signing for them. If I were to wait for my scouts to make their reports he would be snapped up by another club in the mean time. So, I moved and secured his signature.

Karl Ståhl (29), D/LC.

An experienced player that lacks some speed, but has good stamina, is hard working and a team player through and through. Will undoubtedly take a place in my central defence, hopefully giving it further stability.

Veteran Charlie Bishop meanwhile rejects an initial contract offer that would see him signing on as player/coach. I don’t believe he has anything to offer as a player, but as a coach he seems very competent, so a renewed bid has been made for the ex Northampton players signature.

18/12 -02: The Intercontinental Cup Final

The Intercontinental Cup Final in Tokyo between the best European and best South American teams turned into a thriller, but in the end it would be Juventus that turned out victorious after an amazing turn around of the game.

Juventus vs. River 3-2 (1-2, 2-2)

National Stadium, Tokyo, Japan: 61963.

Juventus (4-4-2): Buffon - Pessotto (Iuliano, 8), Thuram, Tudor (Ferrara, 36), Birindelli - Nedved, Camoranesi, Baiocco, Zambrotta - Del Piero, Trezeguet.

River (4-1-2-1-2): Comizzo - Rojas (Lequi, 54), Demichelis, Garcé, Cuevas - Gómez - Alvarez (Franco, 66), Coudet - D‘Alessandro - Dominguez (Sand, 54), Cavenaghi.

Match Facts: 0-1 Coudet (5), 0-2 Gómez (35), 1-2 Camoranesi (41). 2-2 Trezeguet (49). 3-2 Nedved (109).

River started the game by taking a 2-0 lead after just over a half hour played. 1-0 came after a Andres D‘Alessandro corner that was blasted at the top corner by Eduardo Coudet. At the second goal it was defensive midfielder Marcelo Gómez that pulled off an amazing move. He continually moved up field, dribbling past both Baiocco and Nedved before hitting a low right footed drive into the corner of the net. River seemed to be cruising, but Camoranesi scored the all important goal just before half time - after an excellent move inside the box. At the other side of the half time interval Baiocco made a good run and finished it by hitting a low pass into the path of Trezeguet, who was left with a simple finish. Both teams now became more defensive minded and the contest went in to extra time. There it was Pavel Nedved of Juventus that became the hero of the day as he roamed forward and scored the fifth and last goal of the day. Juventus overcame an early 2-0 disadvantage and turned the game around. They showed good team morale and won in the end well deservedly.

20/12 -02: I make a loan bid for Malmö FF’s experienced defensive midfielder Jeppe Vestergaard. They have already accepted a loan bid from Danish First Division side Hellerup, so I don’t have too high hopes of luring him here, but he would be an excellent signing - albeit only on a season long loan deal. Charlie Bishop has meanwhile completed his trial at the club and left with a fresh contract offer.

Swedish star Zlatan Ibrahimovic has picked up this years Dutch First Division Golden Boot award.

21/12 -02: Jeppe Vestergaard joins Hellerup rather than us, while Charlie Bishop rather stays unemployed than joining us. icon_frown.gif

23/12 -02: IFK Lidingö, that won our group but failed to get promoted, made a £ 20,000 bid for the services of Isac Löwhagen. The offer was accepted. Jesper Bengtsson suffers a groin strain in training and will be out for three weeks. Happy holidays! icon_biggrin.gif

Bulgarian international Dimitar Berbatov was sold to 1860 München from Bayer Leverkusen for £ 8,500,000.

24/12 -02: Fellow Second Division side Askim IK make bids on two of my players that are both accepted. £ 20,000 for Isac Löwhagen and £ 30,000 for Erik Johansson. Elfsborg reject a loan bid I’d made for their out of favour left winger Pär Karlsson.

25/12 -02: Isac Löwhagen sold to IFK Lidingö for £ 20,000. IFK Lidingö and Vallentuna have bids for Erik Johansson accepted.

26/12 -02: Sittichai Pongrugthai voted supporters player of the year! A well founded decision I think. When in the mood he’s been absolutely superb. However, his constant bitching about his training schedule has become slightly irritating to say the least...

Scout Emil Norling recommends Ängelholm’s 22-year old striker Johan Holm as a good signing. As he’s currently available for loan I approach to make a season long loan deal.

27/12 -02: Jesper Ahlström will once again be out due to injury after sustaining a sprained ankle in training. He’ll be out for two weeks.

Trelleborg’s manager Jonas Brorsson has meanwhile been sacked and assistant manager Lars Larsson promoted to take his role.

28/12 -02: Erik Johansson sold to IFK Lidingö for £ 24,000, the fee will increase to £ 35,000 if he appears in one league game for Lidingö. Jon Lundblad rejects my contract offer and opts to join Brazilian side CRB instead.

29/12 -02: Johan Holm joins Sirius on loan from Ängelholm until 27/11 -03. Couldn‘t afford buying him, but we managed to loan him from fellow Second Division side Ängelholm - without having to pay his wages for the period.

Johan Holm (22), Striker (Centre).

A fast striker with excellent off the ball movement and good stamina. Goes straight in to the starting XI.

31/12 -02: Scout Emil Norling has been working hard and now found me another excellent player available for loan. I waste no time in submitting a loan bid for Kalmar FF’s 24-year old attacking full back Jon Björklund.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, back on popular demand (I guess) icon_smile.gif

Although very busy, I'll try and keep weekly updates from now on.

Thanks for the support icon14.gif

------------------------------

1/1 -03: The board declare themselves pleased with my general management of the club and are happy to see I have built a rapport with the fans. Financially December was a good month going £ +112,743 in the green. However, the overall economic situation for the year of 2002 wasn't very upliftning reading:

Income: 433,738 - Expenditure: 510,513 = £ -76,775. Balance = £ -244,966

2/1 -03: Jon Björklund joins Sirius on loan from Kalmar FF until 28/11 -03. He has a release clause set at £ 40,000 so will have to see how long he’ll stay, wish I had the money myself as he seems like a very good player. Don’t pay him any wages though on the bright side. icon_smile.gif

Jon Björklund (24), Defensive Midfielder (Left).

A hard working team player, with good off the ball movement and stamina. Will take the left wing position as his, as long as we can hang on to him.

3/1 -03: Bayer Leverkusen sign Palmeira’s powerhouse forward Juninho for a fee of £ 12,000,000. Patrick Viera of Arsenal has meanwhile been named as one of the best players on the world stage by former French star Maxime Bossis. Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger could only agree that Viera is a top class player.

4/1 -03: Charlie Bishop signed on a free transfer as player/coach. Finally managed to convince Charlie to sign on as a player/coach after giving in to his demands to be treated as a squad player and not just a back-up. Yeah right… icon_rolleyes.gif

Charlie Bishop (34), Defender (Centre) & Coach.

As a player Charlie has nothing going for him. As a coach however he‘s quite competent; a disciplinarian who’s great working with youngsters.

9/1 -03: Sunderland’s Swedish player/coach Stefan Schwartz moves back home to take over the reigns of newly promoted Second Division side Köping. Barcelona meanwhile sign Sporting’s striker Jardel for £ 10,750,000.

11/1 -03: Kjell Johansson has been without contract for some while and has now decided to leave the club in search for a new employer. I hold talks with him about him signing on as a player/coach for a year or two. I believe his experience within the club could be put in to good use as a coach. He later agrees and signs on to a two year contract.

14/1 -03: Andreas Fällström‘s proposed transfer to GAIS falls through as they can’t afford the transfer fee. Due to him being the clubs highest wage earner with £ 350 a week, whilst only being a back-up player, I decide to release him on a free instead.

15/1 -03: Jonas Bylund‘s proposed transfer to IFK Luleå is cancelled as they can’t afford the transfer fee. Offer Bylund a new contract instead, which he accepts.

19/1 -03: Mathias Wallin is released from the Sirius coaching staff on a free transfer. With the arrival of two new player/coaches, Wallin’s dubious contributions as coach were no longer needed.

22/1 -03: Jeppe Vestergaard joins Sirius on loan from Malmö FF until 20/11 -03. As Jeppe’s loan at Hellerup ended, I was quick to make an approach which was accepted by both club and player. The Dane joins us on a season long loan, but as with the other loans, we need not to pay his wages during that period of time.

Jeppe Vestergaard (27), Defender/Defensive Midfielder (Centre).

Jeppe is a very good team player, with good off the ball movement, passing, determination and speed. Should become an important central midfielder to us.

23/1 -03: Valencia sign Athletic Bilbao’s attacking midfielder Julen Guerrero for a fee of £ 11,250,000.

27/1 -03: Kjell Johansson retires from the playing staff. Kjell finally has seen his limitations as a player, but will continue at the club in his coaching role. A good decision.

• 2 weeks later...

28/1 -03: Deportivo sign Atlético Madrid midfielder Emerson for a fee of £ 9,250,000.

3/2 -03: Benito Floro has been sacked as manager of Villarreal after a poor first half of the season (currently 14th in the league). Paco Fortes later fills the vacant manager position.

5/2 -03: Los Angeles beat Olimpia of Paraguay in the Inter-American Cup after a thrilling penalty shoot-out. Both teams won their respective home games with 1-0 and it went to penalties in the second game. Los Angeles won the penalty shoot-out 3-2.

9/2 -03: Gílson signed on a free transfer as player/coach. This Brazilian 37-year old may not be much of a player, but is reputably a very good coach. Promised him he’d be a part of the playing squad, but I seriously doubt that somehow…

Gílson (37), Striker (Centre) & Coach.

Too old to be a competitive player for the squad, although he‘s both hard working and technical. Brilliant coach though. A good goalkeeper coach also, which I‘ve been lacking up until now.

18/2 -03: Thomas Arnesson signs a new three year contract.

28/2 -03: Jesper Dogan will be out for a month with a groin strain.

5/3 -03: Martin Berglund promoted from Sirius youth set-up. Our youth set-up keeps producing promising youngsters, with Berglund just being one in a long line of such. Sign him to a 3 year contract.

Martin Berglund (17), Defender/Attacking Midfielder (Right).

Martin must improve considerably in many aspects of the game. However, he does have talent and is hard working. Also he’s reasonably fast, a good finisher and has good stamina.

In the UEFA Cup Fourth Round the only surprises were the eliminations of Spanish teams Valencia and Real Betis against Bayer Leverkusen 1-4 [1-0, 0-4] and FC KØbenhavn 3-6 [2-3, 1-3] respectively.

Georgy Chupin will be out for a month with a groin strain.

While on the subject of strained groins I experienced something closely related. Swedish winters in January, February, can be as boring as hell freezing over. Constant darkness and minus degrees that will freeze you into an ice statue if you stand still for too long. The only escape from the climatic hell outside, is to creep up inside your home and turn up the heat. Gets boring and depressing spending so much time indoors - and as I’ve still not managed to find a partner to hug and kiss in the reflections of burning candles - I figured I might as well chat a bit with strange women on the Internet. Chatting with some of these strange women, with the emphasize on strange, I did actually meet one sane girl. She lived here in town, 21-years of age and lively as a mountain storm. After several weeks of chatting we met for the first time a week ago. We walked together along the frozen small river of Fyrisån, that runs through the centre of town, talking and getting acquainted. We enjoyed each others company and met again, going to the movies. Was today invited over to her apartment for a romantic dinner. It was romantic and very pleasant and I had no idea (well that’s perhaps not quite true) that it would lead to a sleepless night. She was as lively in bed as out of it and the electricity created could have fuelled the town for a week. She loved to love and wore me out completely. Never met anyone quite like her.

Might not be out for a full month, but I’ll definitely need a few days rest now... icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carrplos:

A Siriusly great story so far!!!

*ducks the stones flying at him*

You're quite the playa with the ladies...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a tough job... but someone's gotta do it! icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FujiSon:

Yeah, thats nice, lets hear about some more football!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need help...icon_wink.gif

12/3 -03: Örjan Ohlsson promoted from the Sirius youth set-up The second player to come through our youth system so far this season.

Örjan Ohlsson (16), Striker (Centre).

Örjan lacks considerably in off the ball movement and in finishing ability - both important aspects with a successful striker. He is however pacy, determined and only 16-years old - so there‘s still room for considerable improvement…

The Champions League Second Group stages are now finished and all in all there were no big surprises. All teams left in the tournament has the capacity to win it. Should lead to interesting elimination rounds…

Phase 2 Group A

1st Q Juventus ITA 6 3 0 0 9 1 0 2 1 0 2 11

2nd Q Man Utd ENG 6 2 1 0 5 0 1 0 2 3 8 10

3rd Deportivo ESP 6 3 0 0 5 0 0 0 3 1 5 9

4th Groningen HOL 6 1 1 1 3 3 0 0 3 0 7 4

Phase 2 Group B

1st Q Arsenal ENG 6 3 0 0 11 0 1 0 2 3 5 12

2nd Q Parma ITA 6 2 1 0 5 2 1 1 1 4 5 11

3rd Real Sociedad ESP 6 2 0 1 3 1 1 1 1 4 6 10

4th Bordeaux FRA 6 0 1 2 5 9 0 0 3 1 8 1

Phase 2 Group C

1st Q FC Bayern GER 6 2 1 0 6 2 1 1 1 3 1 11

2nd Q Real Madrid ESP 6 2 1 0 2 0 1 1 1 2 4 11

3rd Roma ITA 6 1 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 2 2 8

4th Paris-SG FRA 6 0 1 2 2 6 0 1 2 3 5 2

Phase 2 Group D

1st Q Milan ITA 6 1 2 0 4 1 2 1 0 5 1 12

2nd Q Hertha BSC GER 6 2 1 0 7 1 1 1 1 4 4 11

3rd Spartak Moscow RUS 6 1 0 2 3 4 1 1 1 3 5 7

4th Dinamo Kiev UKR 6 1 0 2 5 7 0 0 3 1 9 3

</pre>

Met my “internet lover†the evening before I’d be departing with my Sirius squad for our pre-season tour of Denmark. I invited her over to my apartment in the centre of Uppsala. We hadn’t met for some time due to her having a big exam at University. Somehow I couldn’t quite imagine this lively creature as a serious lawyer, but then what do I know... We had fun watching some strange Chinese cinematic masterpiece, understanding very little and concentrating more on each other than the rented movie. Kissing in the shadow of flaming candlelight, with romantic music on the stereo I felt in the mood for tender lovemaking, but no, this whirlwind would have nothing to do with it. Once again she wore me out with her flaming all-consuming passion and lust. Always thought that a woman like that would be my dreamwoman, but she’s simply too much!

Good luck I’m off tomorrow… icon_rolleyes.gif

Archived