quantity of graphics files in one directory

Orange2000

Hello everyone!

Could anyone tell me? are there any restrictions for quantity of pics in one directory?

some times ago i`ve seen some info on SI forums that there is some unstability if you have more than 10 000 files in one directory...but it was fot fm2007 i think..

thanks in advance for answers)

There is a limit to how many entries can be contained within one config file, cannot remember the exact number but its in the thousands or tens of thousands.

It is better to have the graphics in seperate folders (most people sort by team/league/country), there's no real reason to have thousands of entries in one file.

• 6 months later...

From the game perspective there is no limit. In FM2007 there was a limit tied to config.xml, which was removed from the following versions.

BUT, I would not put more than 10,000-12,000 pictures in a folder due to a problem I verified with Windows.

Indeed if you sort your pictures by something different than Name or Size (for example you can add in Windows another column like Dimension to see what picture have dimensions different than 180x180) you can experiment that Windows works very slowly.

Moreover if you say in Folder Options to remember last settings, if you change folder and then get in again, you will get the same slowness as if you were sorting again.

So if you never change the sort order, there is no limit, otherwise I suggest not to have more than 10,000-12,000 pictures in each folder.

Archived