Getting Really Annoying

Oswaldo

Whenever I start a new game always like to be either a championship team or a lower end Premiership team like Hull, Stoke etc. This makes the game more entertaining for me but I find the long term prospects of the game veey annoying.

In everyone of my past saves the game has gone somewhat like this:

First season : buy 3 or 4 new players who turn good in the season, finish reasonably high in the league (7th,8th,9th). Then in the summer big teams bid for players they all leave i replace them with the money given to me.

Second season : new players take time to gel but when they do team performs well. Finish in about the same postion as last year. Summer big teams come in for the new players they all get angry when i reject bids so they leave i buy new players.

this has been the pattern for every game. I buy some quality players they leave after a season i replace them with quality players they leave after a season. This makes it virtually impossible for a smallish team to push on and become good becomes the team never fully gels and plays to its potential

So basically what im asking is there anyway to be able to keep your quality players until your team is in a position to challeng for domestic and european honours?

Yes, there is.

When buying, if you know they're young and will be very important for you, give them long contracts so when they get unhappy you're not forced to sell. If you do have to sell, make sure you can buy better players with that amount for less.

Repeat continuously :thup:

You should always counter a bid with an outrageous demand and this will not upset your players.

I've found that whenever I do this the player instantly gets unhappy that I didn't accept.

I just extend contracts when I can for players I expect to be wanted. If I have someone under contract for another 3 years I won't be too concerned about them wanting to join Newcastle, as long as their morale stays high. I'll only start to worry if it's getting close to their last year of the contract and they won't sign a new one. As such if I expect to have problems with that I'll try to give them new contracts sooner rather than later to minimise the risk.

Selling the player is a last resort for me if I'm 95% sure I can't get them to re-sign and then it's a case of being better to take the cash for them with 6 months to go than to wait and have them go for nothing.

Well there are a lot of things you can do to avoid your situation. Firstly, if you're buying younger players who develop well over the course of the season, try to see their personality first and read the scout report. Someone whos say loyal or professional, he would probably be less likely to demand a transfer or get unhappy when you reject a bid for him. Secondly, if you get a youngster who doesnt the required personality, you might want to look for a free agent who can come in to tutor the youngster. Thirdly, like said above, if the player has a longish contract, then just reject the bid. He might get unhappy but it doesnt effect his performances. Again, the personality will come into play. If he's a bit of tit, he'll start missing training sessions and just be a general pain. So best to sell such a player off.

In general, if you have to sell, dont sell more than 2 players per season. And that is the upper limit. I would try to restrict even that number to 1 tbh. When a team bids for your player, dont reject the bid or anything till the deadline they've set. That will give you a few more days for the transfer window to close. Also, if a club bids for your player, try to ask for a player in exchange from them. That's always a good way to ensure your squad stays strong.

So just doing these small things will definitely help you improve as a team.

About the point where you should only sell if you can get someone better for cheaper that is what I do its just that before they properly gel within the team another club wants them and they become unhappy.

So for example on my Wigan save that I am currently playing I am about to start my third season after the usual summer where every club in the world wants my players. First season i finished 6th, 2nd season 9th and the final of the UEFA cup and FA cup winners.

This is my squad

GK Akinfeev/Kirkland

LB Taiwo/Da Costa*

RB Santon*/Ferreira

CB Wheater*/Hyland

CB Leo*/Beevers

MR Taylor/Willians Santana*

ML Datolo/Feghouli*

MC Appiah/Palacios*

MC Borges*/Delph*/Busquets

FC Aquino/Marquinhos*

FC Palacio*/Bolado

An * are players who have had bids in for them over the summer wi]hich i have rejected and are consequently now unhappy.

I beleive that this is a very good squad that can challenge for a European spot. I have already sold Demba Ba this summer for 14 mil and Dzagoev for 9mil because both were angry about not being able to move clubs.

In my board confidence it even says "is worried about the disharmony within the squad and will be monitoring the situation carefully"

So what do you suggest that I sell pretty much my whole first team? The minimum contract length for any of the unhappy players is 2 years left on the contract.

Thanks for the replies

You should always counter a bid with an outrageous demand and this will not upset your players.

I tried this in my Lyon save with Toulalan, Arsenal came in with £16,000,000 and I shoved the price up to way over £100m and they came back with a bid of £41,000,000 and the chairman accepted it himself.

Managed to make it to the end of the transfer window with only selling one more player - Palacio for 12 mil to Man City. I bought James Vaughan for 9 mil to replace him so im not that bothered lets just hope that the team can play well despite 7 of the first team being unhappy.....I am not overly confident : /

I tried this in my Lyon save with Toulalan, Arsenal came in with £16,000,000 and I shoved the price up to way over £100m and they came back with a bid of £41,000,000 and the chairman accepted it himself.

Thats not so bad. Surely you can replace Toulalan for so much money with no less talented player.

tbh... its just realism in the game that poorer teams need/are forced to sell their best players...

look at southampton for one.... some of the most promising youngsters have come from their academy in recent times and they always have to sell.... same goes for clubs like ajax.....

tbh... its just realism in the game that poorer teams need/are forced to sell their best players...

look at southampton for one.... some of the most promising youngsters have come from their academy in recent times and they always have to sell.... same goes for clubs like ajax.....

Well only Walcott, Bale and Jones but they never had the privelege of reaching a UEFA cup final or winning the FA cup with a team, only for over half the team to want to leave the next summer.

You're not required to sell a player if you don't want to and their contract lasts for a few seasons, unless of course the chairman accepts an offer over your head. For instance, I picked up Marquinhos my first season in Premier as QPR. The following summer Man U wanted him but I refused. Now my third season in Premier League he's still a little unhappy, but he continues to play wonderfully and was third highest goalscorer in the league.

Sometimes if you're lucky and a player is tempted to leave, you can a) offer a new contract, b) upgrade their squad status (to first team or key player), or compliment them in the media. For me, this has made a few unhappy stars decide to stay, at least in the short term, and it led to one 21 year old repeatedly rejecting his interest in leaving for some other top clubs.

It's like real life Oswaldo it happens. In the Summer I bet a lot of teams come in for Hull's Michael Turner because of his good season and will be the same for Stoke aswell (but don't think anyone will go & I best hope not aswell :)) & maybe West Brom because they have some good players but there going down so I don't know if you can include that

I fully understand that it happens in real life I expect to have bids in for 3 or four of my players who perform well over the season from big clubs. But can you tell me of any team IRL who have had pretty much half their squad wanting to leave at one time? Or of a team who have sold 6 or 7 first teamers over the summer when in the previous season they have won the FA cup and reached the semis of both league and UEFA cups?

i can tell you that yes...

just because they dont go public in the media doesnt mean they dont wanna leave...

think about it... every player wants to be in the top teams... if their team does relatively well and then the player gets some attention from bigger clubs... they'll naturally want to leave....

there are very very few one club players in the world

I fully understand that it happens in real life I expect to have bids in for 3 or four of my players who perform well over the season from big clubs. But can you tell me of any team IRL who have had pretty much half their squad wanting to leave at one time? Or of a team who have sold 6 or 7 first teamers over the summer when in the previous season they have won the FA cup and reached the semis of both league and UEFA cups?

I'm pretty sure almost the entire Porto team of 2003-2004 was raided and that's after winning the UCL. It's sad that it happens to "smaller" teams IRL but that's football. You're lucky that you manage in the EPL where in game you can actually turn your team into an elite club after a number of years whereas Porto will always be a stepping stone for players because they play in the "smaller" Portuguese league.

Well, IRL, with all due respect to Wigan, they dont have a hope in hell of attracting the players that you have in the squad you posted. You've pretty much revamped your whole squad. I think only 1 or 2 players on that squad are players who're currently at Wigan. So since its unrealistic that 6 or 7 want to leave your team at the same time, its also unrealistic for you to have those players in your squad in the first place mate.

I think its all balanced out. If you buy players who you know turn into star players like Santon, Marquinhos, Palacio, Aquino, Busquets, Akinfeev etc, you're bound to have the biggest teams after them. The game allows you to have those players in your squad when it wont be possible IRL. Similarly, the game also makes those players unhappy and wanting to leave when IRL, the case would probably be a lot different.

As said before, just ask for large money and when they pull out of bidding then the player's won't be unhappy as there wouldnt be an offer on the table for you to refuse.

I always find that an unhappy player doesn't necessarily play badly anyway. if a player is unhappy after I refuse a bid for them I just continue to play them and eventually they stop whining. Its only once in a blue moon that a player kicks up a right stink and needs to be transfer listed really.

Archived