Please help me improve my tactics (shown here)

Hello.

I read the tactics manual that's stickied on this forum and made some tactics based on what I read. These tactics yield more goals than I was getting before but still not nearly enough. I win with them sometimes at home and almost never on the road.

What I need to know is this:

1. I need to change these tactics so that they yield many more goals, more possession, and regular wins at home and on the road if possible.

2. I need another tactic based on this (or not) or someone to tell me how I need to change this tactic so that I have another tactic that will get me victories on the road by giving me more possession than the other team on the road and more scoring chances. So basically i need a road tactic, or help with it.

3. Very very importantly, I need an all out attack 3rd tactic that i can use if I'm trailing 2-0 or 2-1 or whatever at the half. It used to be as simple as making a 424 tactic with all out attack in FM07, or in FM08 I developed plenty of tactics that worked well such as like 1243's or whatever. So I need the equivalent of that for FM09, meaning something where I still have tons of attackers forward like with a 1243 but where my assistant manager doesnt say "our midfield is outnumbered" or whatever (things like that are much bigger issues offensively than they were in years past). So I want a really attacking tactic for when I need to score bunches of goals and where i'm really to risk being scored on to get them. Preferrably something that will regularly yield say 2 goals against in a half but 3 or 4 goals for. And the way I'd prefer the tactic work is that it's still possession football. Not just long kicks hoping to get lucky. Possession football just with 7 pushing forward when appropriate or wahtever. But i mean whatever works. That's what's important. Hopefully you know better than me because I don't know much in regards to this.

Anyway here are my existing tactics. Please tell me how to make them better, and then please tell me how I should change them in order to create the other two types of tactics I need (road possession football tactic and all out attack score 3-4 goals per half even if it means getting that many scored on me in a half tactic, as long as im outchancing the opponent with it). Thank you!

Positions/players

th_players.png *** FC's: Pogrebnyak-Vagner Love. Mids from left to right: Zhirkov ML-Vukcevic MC-Buonanotte MC-Beckham MR. Defense left to right:Criscito DL-Taylor DC-Fazio DC-Zapata DR. GK: Villar.

Team Instructions

th_teaminstructions.png

FCd (Pogrebnyak)

th_pogreb.png

FCa (Vagner love)

th_vlove.png

(Continued)

DL (Criscito/or filipe/J Mathieu

th_Criscito.png

DC (Steven Taylor)

th_Taylor.png

DC (Federico Fazio)

th_Fazio.png

DR (Cristian Zapata)

th_Zapata.png

Okay. Just a note i'm very interested in hearing recommendations for how far the closing down bar should be on the slider for which players, and where the mentality bar should be, and the defensive line, width, passing style, time wasting, tempo, all that... but if i have long shots often on someone who is bad at long shots that's just because some people are injured and I just asked the assistant manager to put in the best squad in his opinion so i could show you all this. So I know to put long shots often for people with good long shots and not for bad people, and run with ball often for vagner love or zhirkov for example. But everything else I'm looking for recommendations on. Creative freedom, team passing style... possibly a different passing style for a select few players, and hell there's probably something i dont know about long shots and run with ball and everything so just like as much info as you can give me please! Feel free to correct and perfect my tactics for me is what I mean (but also please explain why what you suggest is perfect and works so that I can expand on it or create other tactics based on it).

Thank you for your time. And please please help!

I'm no tactical expert, but I noticed several things that you may want to look at.

1) MCa, your asking too much of him. Long shots, through balls, run with ball & forward runs are all set to often. I'm sure he might be a good player, but perhaps I'd drop either the long shots or through balls(even both) to "mixed" . And if he is your playmaker, forget about "run with ball". He should be creating, not hogging the ball!

2) MR (Beckham), do you want him to be a winger or a midfielder? You seem to asking him to do both. Either drop his "through balls" or Crossing" to mixed, I'd say.

3) Perhaps you have the mentality of the 2 strikers the wrong way around? Your FCd should have a slightly higher mentality than Vagner. I've always felt that the FCd should have high mentality with limited forward runs, so the FCa is slightly behind him when the ball comes forward, ready to recieve the ball, rather than relying on the off chance of being able to "run on to the ball".

Just some thoughts for you to maybe play with in the future.

As far as away tactics. Perhaps a simple variant of your current tactic is warranted. Read the TTF guide again , especially about different playing mentalities. And vary your current set up accordingly. I'd look at passing styles at first, they will need to change and also tempo.

I always employ a scout to "scout next opposition" and learn to adapt my style to counter-act thier preferred style.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help. I'm pretty sure the FCd has lower mentality though, at least that's what they say in tactics and theorems. Anyway for me the FCd is suppoed to be the bridge between the midfield and the FCa, that's why his mentality is lower. And yeah you're right about the MCa. That's just an accident I usually play him with mixed crossing and mixed through balls. His forward runs are always because his dribbling is 17 and his flair is 20 and he's got good pace. And Beckham has crossing and through balls always because his passing and creativity are 20 and his crossing is 20. Are you not supposed to have both? Either way he was my best player last season and had 13-14 assists even though my team barely scored so he's not the problem. Everyone else is. Zhirkov has been doing nothing. Vagner love only 10 goals in 45 games. Everyone else has done nothing. Anyone else?

Anyway thanks again GB68 :)

I agree with GB, you are generally asking way to much of your players.

You have a very creative team, therefore, IMO, I would lower your demands. ie Beckham, change everything to mixed and give him lots of creative freedom. I can not see his stats, but i assume he still has decent decision making skills therefore, let him use them.

Use CF sparingly on defensive players. But where you have creative players with intelligence then give them all mixed and let them decide.

LAM

Thanks a lot. That makes sense and I hadn't thought to check someone's decisions attributes to see whether or not i shold tell them how often to try stuff. i also assumed i could tell them to do stuff all a lot and give them creative freedom and then if they decided they didnt want to that would be fine. What about the passing style and the tempo and time wasting and defensive line and everything else?

Archived