To Hell and Back - a Scottish Tale

Gary Toner

The year 2004 and Berti Vogts had just been kicked out the door by the SFA after riping the heart and soul out of the Scotland National Team and the country at large.

Change was needed and the fans finally got what they wanted however to the shock of many it wasn't fan's favourite Gordan Strachen that took the hotseat but a young upstart by the name of Gary Toner!. Many people were hugely critical of the appointment and a certain member of the press we shall call "Queersy" ran a massive campaign against Toner that would make Bush and Kerry seem like bosom buddies.

Toner wasn't to be disheartened and with his cry that "Scotland will make the World Cup" we can only look on and hope and since Scotland begin their campaign with a tie against Slovenia at Hampden they'll need all the hope they can get.

The year 2004 and Berti Vogts had just been kicked out the door by the SFA after riping the heart and soul out of the Scotland National Team and the country at large.

Change was needed and the fans finally got what they wanted however to the shock of many it wasn't fan's favourite Gordan Strachen that took the hotseat but a young upstart by the name of Gary Toner!. Many people were hugely critical of the appointment and a certain member of the press we shall call "Queersy" ran a massive campaign against Toner that would make Bush and Kerry seem like bosom buddies.

Toner wasn't to be disheartened and with his cry that "Scotland will make the World Cup" we can only look on and hope and since Scotland begin their campaign with a tie against Slovenia at Hampden they'll need all the hope they can get.

Cheers PM7

First piece of business i had to sort out the backroom staff I managed to talk Tommy Burns into staying but only if he could take the u19 side which i agreed too. So I was now on the look out for a sidekick to the main team and this was something that was harder than i thought but in the end i managed to convince Steve Clarke to join my staff he will now work as Assistant to both Scotland and Chelsea.

With just under 2 months till our first qualifying game against Slovenia I decided that I had to get the squad together for a friendly atleast before going in at the deep end, however getting clubs to release players is another story. As you would guess the clubs got there way and i didn't manage to sort a friendly out before the Slovenia game however the clubs did allow me to take the players for a week aslong as i didn't take in any games.

I in the end agreed we wouldn't take part in any games wheter in training or a friendly instead it gave me time to try and get my points across of what i expect and work on little things to enhance communication and team spirit would this work well who knows but we had fun.

I had taken a slating in the press and i was determined to take all 3 points out of the game.

Scotland Squad Announced

Suprises in Toner's first selection as national boss

Stephen Hughes is amongst 6 newcomers to the national squad as Toner looked ahead to the clash with Slovenia. Sean Dillion, Alan Combe, Barry Robson, Niel Jancyzk and Kevin Thompson are the other newcomers who will all be looking for their first cap. Toner's first squad also see's a long awaited return to the international scene for deuce capped

Dougie Freedman.

Goalkeepers

Alan Combe (Kilmarnock)

Paul Gallacher (Norwich)

David Marshall (Celtic)

Defenders

Sean Dillon (Kilmarnock)

Ian Murray (Hibs)

Steven Pressley (Hearts)

Andy Webster(Hearts)

Jackie McNamara (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Everton)

Midfielders

Barry Ferguson (Blackburn)

Darren Fletcher (Man Utd)

Barry Robson (Dundee Utd)

Neil Janczyk (Hearts)

Neil McCann (Southampton)

Nigel Quashie (Portsmouth)

Kevin Thompson (Hibs)

Stephen Hughes (Rangers)

Colin Cameron (Wolves)

Forwards

James McFadden (Everton)

Steven Thompson (Rangers)

Paul Dickov (Blackburn)

Dougie Freedman (Crystal Palace)

Andy Gray (Sheff Utd)

Due to injuries and a horrible oversight the squad has been left without a few key players but onwards we shall go.

I actually didn't notice McCann till i confirmed the squad, don't worry he won't be back icon_biggrin.gif

Triple Injury Blow for Scotland

Injuries forced youngster Neil Janczyk and Dougie Freedman out of the Scotland squad to face Slovenia which is a blow to manager Toner's plans as Neil and Dougie would have faced the Slovenians, Old Man Alex Rae and Stephen Crawford have been called into squad to replace them. Also doubtful to face the Slovenians is Celtic's Keeper David Marshall after a groin strain in training. Toner remains confident that the youngster will make it.

8th September 2004 - Hampden Park - Scotland v Slovenia

Scotland line up ;Marshall. Naysmith, Murray, Pressley, McNamara, Robson, Ferguson, Fletcher, Cameron, McFadden, Thompson.

The first 45 minutes went pretty much to plan, we controlled the game and created a good few chances but the Slovenians had luck on their side as we rattled the crossbar via James McFadden and hit the post with a Cameron piledriver.

The 2nd have pretty much mirrored the first, for half n hour we controlled play but lady luck wasn't on our side until some great wing play from young Barry Robson got him into the box to slip a pass to subsitute Alex Rae who gave us the break through on the 77th minute. Slovenia pressed on and caused a few panicky moments especially when McNamara played a loose passback to Marshall only for the young keeper to clear it straight to a Slovenian however we survived thanks to a bad shot. Deep into injury time and once again Man of the Match Barry Robson showed some trickery down the wing but this time he whipped in a inch perfect cross for Steven Thompson to get on the end of to make it 2-0.

FT - Scotland 2 - 0 Slovenia

3 points on the board and a perfect start to the campaign, some good performances from debutants and experinced internationalists was at times a joy to behold however we can't afford to look too much into it and we'll have to at times simplify our play against the Norweigens next month.

Well it's been a month since the Slovenia game and it appears the hacks are getting over the early shock of my appointment well except maybe my old friend Queersy who seems to have branded our style of football 'reckless and cumbersome' and we 'will be sure to get caught out when they face better opposiston'. This i have hanging in the changing room to hopefully motivate the players although the thought of pulling on the dark blue of Scotland should be motivation enough.

With 3 points on the board after the game against Slovenia it was a good start and i will be looking to take the maximum 6 points in the next two games as i'm sure the nation expects or atleast hopes.

Scotland Squad Announced

Youngsters to the fore as Scotland prepare for Norway and Moldova

Perhaps the most suprising inclusions in the squad is the selection of Charlie Miller but the Brann midfielder who has slimed down in recent months has been on form and that's not gone unnoticed by the Scotland Management. Other people have been concerned with the amount of youngsters in the side, other have simply maintened the "if you're good enough you're old enough" mantle. For the hopes of a nation and the manager who has shown faith in picking them lets hope this old adage is right.

Goalkeepers

Alan Combe (Kilmarnock)

Paul Gallacher (Norwich)

David Marshall (Celtic)

Defenders

Sean Dillon (Kilmarnock)

Ian Murray (Hibs)

Steven Pressley (Hearts)

Andy Webster(Hearts)

Jackie McNamara (Celtic)

Gary Naysmith (Everton)

Midfielders

Nigel Quashie (Portsmouth)

Stephen Hughes (Rangers)

Colin Cameron (Wolves)

Charlie Miller (Brann)

Richard Hughes (Portsmouth)

Alex Rae (Rangers)

Gareth Williams (Leicester)

Forwards

James McFadden (Everton)

Paul Dickov (Blackburn)

Andy Gray (Sheff Utd)

Kris Boyd (Kilmarnock)

Derek Riordan (Hibs)

Scott Brown (Hibs)

Mackay and Caldwell drafed in

West Ham's Malky Mackay and Hibs fullback Gary Caldwell have been drafted into the Scotland squad after late drop outs due to injury of Hearts' Steven Pressley and Celtics Jackie McNamara. With these two key players out of the double header Scotland's chances have been hit massively, Toner rather suprsingly seemed to be pretty confident despite the duo being out.

9th October 2004 - Hampden Park - Scotland v Norway

Scotland line up ;Marshall. Naysmith, Murray, Webster, Caldwell, Robson, Ferguson, Fletcher, Cameron, McFadden, Riordan.

We couldn't have wished for a better start to the match with only 3 minutes gone Fletcher found Ferguson on the edge of the box and the Blackburn man fired home the volley to put us 1-0 up. Moments later we could have had a 2nd but close range header found it's way on the hand of a in form Norway keeper. Norway weren't by no means out of the clash and if it was for some last minute tackles or good goalkeeping Daniel Braathen could have had a hattrick.

James McFadden just about wrapped things up from the spot 10 minutes into the 2nd half when Bergdolmo was adjuged to have fouled Barry Robson in the box, McFadden cooly struck it to make it 2-0. You could be forgiven to think the game was over but as Norway tried to apply pressure and get back into the game we managed to hit them on the counter when a lovely diagonal pass from Barry Robson found Derek Riordan in space the Hibs youngster duly took the chance and slipped it past a helpless Espen Johnson 3 - 0. The game was over the fans were happy.

FT - Scotland 3 - 0 Norway

On a sidenote Barry Robson seems to be relishing international football as he was voted m.o.m for the 2nd match running. The young winger has flourished at this level and with his trickier and passing range has been intstrumental in the last two matches long may it continue.

Scotland rocked by duo withdrawel

Scotland manager Gary Toner today must be cursing his luck when it was revealed that Keeper David Marshall and midfielder Colin Cameron withdrew from the squad to face Moldova after picking up minor injuries in the Norway match. With many seeing the Moldova match as paramount to their World Cup chances Toner wasted no time in adding experinced 'Keeper Rab Douglas to the squad aswell as Steven Whittiker who adds to a large Hibs contingent.

13th October 2004 - Republician, Chisinau - Moldova v Scotland

Scotland line up ;Gallacher. Naysmith, Murray, Webster, Caldwell, Robson, Ferguson, Miller, Brown, McFadden, Riordan.

Scott Brown couldn't have wished for a better debut when after just 4 minutes he jinked past two Moldovians and slotted home the opening goal past a helpless keeper to make it 1-0, The Moldovians not to be out done were back in the game just minutes later when a miscommunication between Gallacher and Caldwell allowed Calincov in to equalise 1-1.

Moldova controlled pretty much most of the play for the next 10 minutes as a shocked Scotland team looked for a way back in and on 24 minutes the got it from the spot after Patula was sent packing for hacking down Derek Riordan. Gary Caldwell stepped up to make it 2-1. Scott Brown who by now was having a brilliant game was instrumental in the 3rd goal as he played a pinpoint pass to allow Barry Ferguson to smash it home 3-1.

The 2nd half was pretty much non exsistent until just after an hour Man of the Match James McFadden headed home a Barry Robson cross to wrap things up.

FT - Moldova 1 - 4 Scotland

3 matches gone and 9 points on the board, a pretty convincing start to the campaign as Scotland finish the year on a high. With no more games till March when Scotland travel to take on Italy in what could be a pivitol game i'm sure manager Toner will be looking at getting the squad together before then.

Scotland stars rested as Toner looks to the future

They were no real suprises when Scotland opted to leave out regulars such as Barry Ferguson, James McFadden and Gary Naysmith amongst others for the double header of friendlies against Saudia Arabia and Tunisia With Toner taking the opportunity to experiment with other players.

With the squad boasting a large number of youngsters, Toner certainly seems to be looking to the future in order that they might gain invaluable international experience.

Scotland Squad

Goalkeepers

Alan Combe (Kilmarnock)

Paul Gallacher (Norwich)

Ian Turner (Everton)

Defenders

Peter Canero (Leicester)

Ian Murray (Hibs)

Russell Anderson (Aberdeen)

Phil McGuire (Aberdeen)

Zander Diamond (Aberdeen)

Kevin McNaughton (Aberdeen)

Gary Caldwell (Hibs)

Steven Hammell (Sheff Wed.)

Steve McMillen (Wigan)

Midfielders

Stephen Hughes (Rangers)

Gareth Williams (Leicester)

Mark Wilson (Dundee Utd)

Neil Janczyk (Hearts)

Scott Severin (Aberdeen)

Chris Burke (Rangers)

Stephen Pearson (Celtic)

Joe Hamill (Hearts)

Forwards

Paul Gallagher (Blackburn)

Derek Riordan (Hibs)

Garry O'Connor (Hibs)

Scotland trio withdraw

Scotland Players Gareth Williams, Derek Riordan and Scott Severin today withdrew from the squad to face Saudi Arabia and Tunisia, In form

Hearts forward Dennis Wyness, Hibs Youngster Steven whittiker and veteren Colin Cameron were drafted in as replacements. Toner will be

hoping they are no more withdrawels.

13th November 2004 - Hampden Park - Scotland v Saudi Arabia

Scotland line up ;Gallacher. Hammell, McGuire, Diamond, Caldwell, Robson, Janczyk, Hughes, Burke, Gallagher, Thompson.

The first half was a non event up until the half hour mark when Paul Gallagher from 30 yards out tried an audacious lob which due to bad goalkeeping worked and put Scotland ahead 1-0.

Young Chris Burke perhaps took a jolt of confidence from seeing the dodgy goalkeeping when minutes later he cut in from the wing past the Saudi fullback and unleashed an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box to make it 2-0.

2nd half we made quite a few changes and it seemd to have an effect on the game when only moments after the restart substitutes Peter Canero and Garry O'Connor combined to set Barry Robson free in the box with the simple job of slotting it home 3-0.

Saudi Arabia hit back late in the game when they caught the defense napping and struck a shot past a helpless Paul Gallacher. The Scoring wasn't finished however until late on in injury time when Stephen Pearson managed to find Dougie Freedman free in the box and with all the time in the world the veteran forward wrapped up proceedings 4-1.

FT - Scotland 4 - 1 Saudi Arabia

17th November 2004 - Hampden Park - Scotland v Tunisia

Scotland line up ;Combe, Hammell, Anderson, Diamond, Caldwell, Hamill, Janczyk, Miller, Pearson, Wyness, O'Connor.

With only 3 minutes on the clock this game got of to a great start when Joe Hamill's freekick found Garry O'Connor at the backpost for the Hibs youngster to power the header home 1-0. Tunisia pressed and pressed and got there reward just before halftime with Zander Diamond off the field recieving treatmant the Tunisians took full advantage and broke with speed to fire a shot home to beat keeper Combe at his near post 1-1.

With a few changes made at half time we took control of the game but it wasn't till the 64th minute when took the lead when Garry O'Connor pounced as the Tunisian keeper made a hash of a passback 2-1.

Tunisia pressed the game in order to get the equaliser and after some great saves from substitute keeper Iain Turner to keep us ahead in the match a lovely ball from Man of the match Stephen Pearson found Stephen Hughes one on one with the goalkeeper, the youngster kept his nerve and put the result beyond doubt 3-1.

FT - Scotland 3 - 1 Tunisia

• 2 weeks later...

End of year review

It's been an exciting 6 months to be a Scotsman with 5 games played we've managed to win 5 games with a pretty impressive scoring record, we sit second in our World Cup Qualifying Group with a game in hand.

however we still have a few tricky games to come especially against Italy. The emergence over the last few months of youngsters from Aberdeen and Hibernian aswell as the Old Firm trying to do their best we can only look forward to more happy times and less hard times, well atleast thats the hope. With no more ties till Febuary when we take on Croatia at Hampden we look forward to seeing what other exciting players make the breakthrough at home and abroad.

On the domestic front Aberdeen continue to win plaudits under their tenure of manager Jimmy Calderwood, the Dons have now managed to go

18 league games with only one defeat and that was against Dundee Utd. despite the good record though the Old firm remain in the first two positions with Rangers in pole.

In Europe both Rangers and Celtic have made it through to the first knockout stage of the Champions League with Celtic facing Liverpool and Rangers at Barcelona we can only hope these kinda games raise our profile abroad, the UEFA cup on the other hand was pretty much a disaster as no Scottish clubs made it through the group stage.

Toner names squad for Croatia as he looks towards Italy

As the Scotland squad was named today it included a lot of defenders perhaps Toner is looking towards the away match to Italy, However as we glanced over the squad it appeared that this is possibly the strongest squad Scotland at the moment could put together with only really David Marshall and Jackie McNamara to step in. It will be interesting to see how Toner approaches the Croatia game. One noteable inclusion is that of in form striker Stephen McPhee who plys his trade in Portugal with Beira-Mar when Toner was asked about the call up he simply said "well the boy has been scoring for fun, why not see what he's got to offer on the bigger stage.".

Scotland Squad

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordan (Newcastle)

Paul Gallacher (Norwich)

Ian Turner (Everton)

Defenders

Peter Canero (Leicester)

Ian Murray (Hibs)

Phil McGuire (Aberdeen)

Kevin McNaughton (Aberdeen)

Gary Caldwell (Hibs)

Gary Naysmith (Everton)

Andy Webster (Aston Villa)

Steven Pressley (Hearts)

Midfielders

Stephen Pearson (Celtic)

Joe Hammil (Hearts)

Scott McKenna Ramsey (Keflavik)

Forwards

James McFadden(Everton)

Derek Riordan (Hibs)

Garry O'Connor (Hibs)

Stephen McPhee (Beira-Mar)

9th February 2005 - Hampden Park - Scotland v Croatia

Scotland line up ;Gordan, Naysmith, Webster, Diamond, McNaughton, Robson, Ferguson, Fletcher, Pearson, McFadden, O'Connor.

Scotland couldn't have asked to get off to a better start when on 9 minutes a lovely through ball found O'Connor in space to make it 1-0. Croatia looked stunned and Scotland applied pressure after pressure and the work paid off 3 minutes later when a shot from Barry Robson troubled the keeper who could only spill it on to the on running Darren Fletcher who kept his composure to make it 2-0.

Croatia did however have a few chances but Gordan was un troubled until the 25th minute when he missed judged a swerving cross as he was caught in no mans land when Ivan Olic headed home to bring the Croatians back into it 2-1. However Scotland re-affirmed their 2 goal lead 4 minutes later when Garry O'Connor dribbled past two defenders and slotted the ball home 3-1 at the half time whistle.

With a host of changes made at half time the game suffered as a result most noteably it was Scotland who suffered when the croats found a way back into the game with a superb 2 minute double salvo from Klasnic and Budan to bring the game level at 3-3. The game looked to be heading for a draw until late in injury time a Scott McKenna Ramsey corner found fellow substitue Peter Canero on the edge of the box for the Leicester man to volley home and secure victory for the Scots.

Scotland got out of jail in this game but the defensive performances during the game will be more than a concern for the up coming Italy game.

FT - Scotland 4 - 3 Croatia

Scotland Rocked by injury blow on eve of Italy Match

Scotland are cursing their luck today as manager Toner confirmed to a packed news conference that Russell Anderson and Jackie McNamara had to withdraw from the Scotland squad due to injuries. This adds to the injury to Phil McGuire earlier in the week when a controversial matter of Gareth Williams refusing a call up threatend to disrupte Scotlands preperations Aberdeen Midfielder Scott Severin was drafted in instead. Toner has decided not to draft anyone in to cover the latest injuries due to the short notice however he has demanded an apology from Williams before he even thinks of picking him again.

Scotland Squad

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordan (Newcastle)

Paul Gallacher (Norwich)

Allan Combe (Kilmarnock)

Defenders

Peter Canero (Leicester)

Ian Murray (Hibs)

Jackie McNamara (Celtic)

Gary Caldwell (Hibs)

Gary Naysmith (Everton)

Andy Webster (Aston Villa)

Steven Pressley (Hearts)

Midfielders

Stephen Pearson (Celtic)

Stephen Hughes (Rangers)

Gavin Rae (Rangers)

Forwards

Kenny Miller (Wolves)

James McFadden(Everton)

Derek Riordan (Hibs)

Garry O'Connor (Hibs)

26th March 2005 - Artemio Franchi, Florence - Italy v Scotland

Scotland line up ;Gordan, Naysmith, Webster, Diamond, G Caldwell, Robson, Ferguson, Fletcher, Pearson, McFadden, Thompson.

Italy dominated the first half and if not for the good work of the goalkeeper and defence we could have been on a serious hiding to nothing however the scoreline stayed blank until the 35th minute when a loose pass out of defence by Gary Naysmith allowed Cassano in and the hitman duly took the chance with the upmost ease 1-0. To say we were outclassed in the first half would be an understatement as we couldn't even muster one decent chance on goal but with only one goal in it the 2nd half brings hope.

The 2nd half didn't give up as much hope as Toner wanted and with the scores still level he went for the equaliser with one last throw of the die but it took Scotland 78 minutes to get their first shot on goal but unfortunatly Gavin Rae's attempt fell straight into the arms of Buffon. Italy killed the game and inflicted Toner's first defeat as Scotland manager in the 89th minute with Scotland attacking they Italians countered in classic fashion and Di Vaio rocketed home from just inside the box 2-0.

Being beaten by a strong Italian team is nothing to be ashamed off however the way his side were defeated maybe more of a worry for the Scotland manager who will be looking to get back into winning ways when his side come up against Moldova in 2 and a bit months.

FT - Italy 2 - 0 Scotland

Thanks guys

Scotland squad to face Moldova announced

With Scotland hurting after their loss to Italy a few months back Toner has made a few changes to the squad with most noteably David Marshall and the top goalscorer in Scotland Motherwell's David Clarkson drafted in, the latest squad also see's callups for Rangers fullback Alan Hutton aswell as Blackburn central defender Jay McEveley who was capped 3 times at U21 level for England. However there is no place for Leicester midfielder Gareth Williams after his public dispute with national boss Gary Toner. With many speculating that the midfielder's international career could be over, Williams will no doubt what might have been as his compatriots up with Toner's latest Scotland squad.

Scotland Squad

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordan (Newcastle)

Paul Gallacher (Norwich)

David Marshall (Celtic)

Defenders

Peter Canero (Leicester)

Ian Murray (Hibs)

Gary Caldwell (Hibs)

Gary Naysmith (Everton)

Steven Pressley (Hearts)

Alan Hutton (Rangers)

Jay McEveley (Blackburn)

Midfielders

Stephen Pearson (Celtic)

Stephen Hughes (Rangers)

Gavin Rae (Rangers)

Joe Hamill (Hearts)

Forwards

James McFadden(Everton)

Derek Riordan (Hibs)

Garry O'Connor (Hibs)

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Scotland expects

The nation expects victory against Moldova, maybe this is how far we have came after all it was only 12 months ago we would be worried about games like this but not now. Now we are upto 37th place in the latest FIFA rankings but then we all know how messed up they are. Now we expect to win however is this too much pressure on Toner to succeed? too much pressure on Scotland to succeed? are we simply overlooking our frailties of which they are many. With certain sections of the fans expecting an easy victory, Toner will know that even though Moldova are the weaker side on paper, they still have the ability to pose a threat to Scotland's backline problem if they aren't treated with respect.

Scotland will be without young duo Derek Riordan and David Clarkson for this game and i know that dissappoints the manager who was heard mumbling something along the lines of "when will i ever get a full strenght squad" Andy Gray was drafted in, in the only change.

4th June 2005 - Hampden Park - Scotland v Moldova

Scotland line up ;Gordan, Naysmith, McEveley, Murray, Hutton, Hamill, Ferguson, Fletcher, Pearson, McFadden, Gallagher.

The first half started well i wouldn't say we dominated but we took our chances when they came along, we had 2 good chances to go ahead within the first 10 minutes but due to poor judgement from James McFadden the scoreline stayed blank well that was until the 12th minute when a lovely one two between McFadden and Fletcher opened up the defence to allow Paul Gallagher in and the young blackburn man didn't think twice as he put Scotland ahead 1-0. Moldova tried to find a way back into the game but they didn't cause the back two any problems. Stephen Pearson added a 2nd for Scotland on the 19th minute when he cooly lobbed the goalkeeper to make it 2-0. The rest of the half pretty much pettered out with none of the teams making much head way as Scotland looked comfortable in possesion.

The 2nd half wasn't much of a contest infact the only thing of note was the third and final goal when Man of the Match Stephen Pearson who got to the touchline and crossed a perfectly placed ball onto the head of James McFadden 3-0. The game could have been even more one sided when late on Joe Hamill was fouled in the box but subsitute Dougie Freedman couldn't convert.

FT - Scotland 3 - 0 Moldova

Group 5

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Italy 6 5 0 1 11 1 +10 15

Scotland 5 4 0 1 12 3 +9 12

Slovenia 6 4 0 2 11 8 +3 12

Norway 6 3 0 3 7 9 -1 9

Belarus 5 1 0 4 7 12 -5 3

Moldova 6 0 0 6 3 19 -16 0 </pre>

8th June 2005 - Dinamo, Minsk - Belarus v Scotland

Scotland line up ;Gordan, Naysmith, McEveley, Pressley, Hutton, Janczyk, Ferguson, Fletcher, Caldwell, McFadden, O'Connor.

Belarus perhaps a little unexpectadly didn't cause the Scots many problems in the first half infact for the away side Scotland pretty much looked at home soaking up any albeit limted pressure and breaking quick however for most of the half it was dogged down in midfield and neither side looked to make the breakthrough.

The 2nd half was all about Belarus infact if it wasn't for some good work from Man of the Match Jay McEveley Belarus could have wrapped this game up on more than one occasion however it was destined to be a draw and that's what it finished, perhaps Scotland were a bit exhausted after the weekend game and long flight to Belarus but this had to be Scotland's toughest game in the group besides Italy and perhaps Scotland were lucky to escape Minsk with a point.

FT - Belarus 0 - 0 Scotland

Group 5

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Italy 6 5 0 1 11 1 +10 15

Scotland 6 4 1 1 12 3 +9 13

Slovenia 6 4 0 2 11 8 +3 12

Norway 6 3 0 3 7 9 -1 9

Belarus 6 1 1 4 7 12 -5 4

Moldova 6 0 0 6 3 19 -16 0</pre>

Archived