FM09: The Official Australian National Team Thread (GO THE SOCCEROOS!!!)

Griffo1989

Australia

FIFA Ranking: 16

Qualifying Zone: Asia

Manager: Pim Verbeek

Captain: Lucas Neill

Most Caps: Alex Tobin (87)

Top Goalscorer: Damian Mori (29)

Notable Players

Tim Cahill (Everton)

Mark Viduka (Newcastle)

Scott McDonald (Celtic)

Lucas Neill (West Ham)

Harry Kewell (Galatasaray)

Mark Bresciano (Palermo)

I searched for a thread but couldnt find one so here we are...

Im restarting my "Socceroos" save file as it was one of my favourites of all time, they have some decent young talent and are capable of passing the group stage in the World Cup quite easily.

Any young players you use? Or formations?

i just started a game with the socceroos, and i took control of the olyroos in beijing with no success (finished third in the group stages :( )

Aussies are definitely underrated in the game (altho kasey wherman(sp?)....how is he better than culina??) Also, how scott chipperfield isnt even given at least a competent rating at left back stumps me big time.

Not too sure how im gonna go with the roos after the current batch of guys retire. (but that could be the case in rl as well...)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else found it impossible to get hired by the Australian national team despite being a world class manager? Might it have something to do with my first nationality being English and Australian only being my second?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GFU! lol, im about to go into the 2010 world cup, really wishing I had been preparing for a 4-4-2 tactic but ive been playing pim verbeeks actual tactic (my manager name is pim verbeek) if this world cup is an epic fail i will try 4-4-2..

Ive been drawn with Argentina (Craig Moore defintely dropped lol, laughing at him even looking at Aguero let alone keeping up with him), Mali (Underrated african side but beatable) and Serbia (I dont even know how to approach them) .. I have a friendly against Faroe Islands to test my changes ive made since Asian Cup qualifying finished so wish me luck!

I've been playing as Australia for six seasons now (currently in 2014/2015). 2010 World cup we drew 1-1 with both Germany and Uruguay before losing 3-1 to Mexico and not qualifying form the group. 2014 World cup (most of my original team has retired. The only notable player left is Cahill and he's 34) we beat ivory coast 2-1, lost to switzerland 3-1, and drew 1-1 with colombia. Qualified for second round. Played Italy who were ranked #1 and had won the last two world cups and won 2-1 (revenge is sweet!!!!). Took on Spain in the quarter final and lost 1-0 to a goal in the 87th minute. Good effort overall. Best player is Marcus Wright at def mid (I think he might be a regen). He's just been signed by a Russian team (can't remember who off the top of my head) and is valued at 11.5 million despite only being 20 years old.

Archived