Watford FC: A Clueless Canadian at the Helm of the Golden Boys

NoSkillz

Prologue – The ‘True’ Part of the Story

Three months ago, I knew almost nothing about ‘soccer’. Yes, I played for a number of years and was a decent striker on a traveling team here in Niagara Falls, Canada as a youth. However, around the age of 12, I found I had more talent striking a golf ball than a soccer ball (okay, that’s the last time I use the “s-wordâ€) and left the beautiful game, never to play competitively again.

Fast forward to 2003. Sports Interactive hires Risto Remes and as a result, NHL: Eastside Hockey Manager is born. I was a small part of the Eastside team back in the freeware days and Riz asked if I was interested in being one of the Head Researchers for the S.I. release. I obviously accepted.

Through the developmental stages of NHL EHM, I decided to fiddle a bit with the demo version of CM4, just to see how the game worked, how it rated players, etc, in order to better understand how the hockey game would work. I never took it beyond the ‘fiddling’ stage, however. I just didn’t understand CM or football in general: the tactics, the transfer system, the Bosman laws, the idea of loaning players. It was all so…different.

Things changed in September when I got the opportunity to meet with Riz and Sports Interactive’s Managing Director Miles Jacobson in Toronto while doing P.R. on Eastside. In the days leading up to the meeting, I did a bunch of reading on English football, just so I could attempt to hold my own in conversation and not look like a complete idiot. Miles is a HUGE Watford fan and the three of us talked about the Hornets and football in general for a few hours over a couple of drinks.

Something must have stuck because now I’m a huge fan of this great sport and I follow the progress of “The Golden Boys†on a daily basis. I still am pretty clueless on the intricacies of football management and have decided that a good way of learning will be to start my first-ever career with the fresh copy of FM that just arrived.

I suppose I’m setting myself up for embarrassment, having never played the game before. Oh well. I just hope that some CM/FM veterans might read this story and offer tips along the way if things are going bad or if I’m not doing something right.

It’s time to begin my football education…

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford Hire Bosela As Manager

Sun. July 11, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

In what's being seen as a surprise appointment, Watford FC chairman Graham Simpson has named a virtually unknown Canadian as their new manager.

Matthew Bosela, 31, was introduced to fans and journalists alike at a very brief press conference at Vicarage Road earlier this morning. "A virtual unknown? How dare you! I'm a complete unknown!", Bosela declared to nervous laughter from fans and media in attendance before being whisked away by Simpson.

Bosela's appointment comes only days after former manager Ray Lewington's shocking resignation due to personal reasons.

Various media pundits believe that the completely inexperienced Bosela will have trouble attracting the right players needed in order to better challenge the bigger clubs in the future.

Watford supporters at fansite bsad.com have also spoken out against this appointment, with most very skeptical that Bosela can help lead the Hornets to the expected safe, mid-table position in the Championship this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prologue – The ‘True’ Part of the Story

Three months ago, I knew almost nothing about ‘soccer’. Yes, I played for a number of years and was a decent striker on a traveling team here in Niagara Falls, Canada as a youth. However, around the age of 12, I found I had more talent striking a golf ball than a soccer ball (okay, that’s the last time I use the “s-wordâ€) and left the beautiful game, never to play competitively again.

Fast forward to 2003. Sports Interactive hires Risto Remes and as a result, NHL: Eastside Hockey Manager is born. I was a small part of the Eastside team back in the freeware days and Riz asked if I was interested in being one of the Head Researchers for the S.I. release. I obviously accepted.

Through the developmental stages of NHL EHM, I decided to fiddle a bit with the demo version of CM4, just to see how the game worked, how it rated players, etc, in order to better understand how the hockey game would work. I never took it beyond the ‘fiddling’ stage, however. I just didn’t understand CM or football in general: the tactics, the transfer system, the Bosman laws, the idea of loaning players. It was all so…different.

Things changed in September when I got the opportunity to meet with Riz and Sports Interactive’s Managing Director Miles Jacobson in Toronto while doing P.R. on Eastside. In the days leading up to the meeting, I did a bunch of reading on English football, just so I could attempt to hold my own in conversation and not look like a complete idiot. Miles is a HUGE Watford fan and the three of us talked about the Hornets and football in general for a few hours over a couple of drinks.

Something must have stuck because now I’m a huge fan of this great sport and I follow the progress of “The Golden Boys†on a daily basis. I still am pretty clueless on the intricacies of football management and have decided that a good way of learning will be to start my first-ever career with the fresh copy of FM that just arrived.

I suppose I’m setting myself up for embarrassment, having never played the game before. Oh well. I just hope that some CM/FM veterans might read this story and offer tips along the way if things are going bad or if I’m not doing something right.

It’s time to begin my football education…

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford Hire Bosela As Manager

Sun. July 11, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

In what's being seen as a surprise appointment, Watford FC chairman Graham Simpson has named a virtually unknown Canadian as their new manager.

Matthew Bosela, 31, was introduced to fans and journalists alike at a very brief press conference at Vicarage Road earlier this morning. "A virtual unknown? How dare you! I'm a complete unknown!", Bosela declared to nervous laughter from fans and media in attendance before being whisked away by Simpson.

Bosela's appointment comes only days after former manager Ray Lewington's shocking resignation due to personal reasons.

Various media pundits believe that the completely inexperienced Bosela will have trouble attracting the right players needed in order to better challenge the bigger clubs in the future.

Watford supporters at fansite bsad.com have also spoken out against this appointment, with most very skeptical that Bosela can help lead the Hornets to the expected safe, mid-table position in the Championship this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

July 11, 2004:

Memo To: Matthew Bosela

Matt,

I just wanted to drop a line and welcome you to Vicarage Road. Please don't pay any attention to the media's claims that you're too inexperienced for this position; we wouldn't have hired you if we felt you weren't up for the job.

The board expects you to invest in new players and start rebuilding the team during this season. You will be given a transfer budget of £18,000 to help achieve this goal.

I have a few other requests as well. First of all, I would like to see a report sent in the next day or so with your analysis of every player on the senior and reserve squads. Also, I will expect a pre-game report for every match on our fixture list this year, with your thoughts on training, your expected lineup & tactics, plus an analysis of our opposition.

One more note: you should really place a lot of trust in your assistant manager, the well-respected Nigel Gibbs. Nigel is wonderful with the lads at the Academy and is a good football man. Use him wisely.

Good luck,

Graham Simpson, Chairman, Watford FC

Mon. July 12, 2004:

Memo To: Graham Simpson, Chairman

Good morning Graham,

We were scheduled to face Raith, a Scottish club, in a friendly this evening but I decided I needed more time to digest things before going into battle, so the match was cancelled.

You asked me to go over the club's roster and report back to you with my findings.

Goalkeepers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Alec Chamberlain, GK, 40 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 1996 (from Sunderland for £40,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 23GP (1 as sub)

Career Stats: 666GP (3 as sub)

Alec isn't just getting up in age, he's there! However, he has just taken on the role of player/coach and will help tutor his successor, Richard Lee, in addition to playing the very occasional game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Richard Lee, GK, 21 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: March 2001 (from Watford FC Academy)

2003/04 Stats: None

Career Stats: 4GP

Richard spent last season with the reserves after breaking a bone above his elbow in August. He looks to have the ability to be a fine performer for the club for years to come but it may take time for him to mature both mentally and physically. Our top option at the position. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thoughts:

That's it! Two goalkeepers to choose from, although we have two 16-year olds at the Academy if a problem arises. I may spend sometime looking for another keeper, just in case.

Defenders:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>James Chambers, D/DM RC, 23 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2004 (from West Bromwich for £250,000)

2003/04 Stats: West Bromwich (Championship) 15GP (3 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 73GP (20 as sub), 0 goals

Chambers has just arrived at the club, so my fellow coaches don't have an opinion on him one way or the other. He is a hard worker with excellent marking ability and offers me versatility with his ability to play midfield. Will contend for first-team position. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Neil Cox, D RC, 32 years old, English, 6 U21 Caps, 0 U21 goals

Joined Club: November 1999 (from Bolton for £500,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 35GP, 4 goals

Career Stats: 412GP (21 as sub), 31 goals

Cox was the skipper of this team for the last two years and provides pretty solid leadership ability along with good technical skills. However, three of my four coaches seem to think he's undeserving of a first-team position. Regardless, he'll get a chance to contend for one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jay DeMerit, D C, 24 years old, American, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2004 (unattached)

Career Stats: None

DeMerit is a former defender with the Chicago Fire from MLS. A hard-working defender but very green. Will likely toil in the reserves this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lloyd Doyley, D RC, 21 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: March 2001 (from Watford FC Academy)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 9GP (2 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 51GP (12 as sub), 0 goals

Doyley has worked his way up through our system and is a contender for a first-team position. My coaching staff to a man feel he's developing into a quality player; very determined and solid technically. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sean Dyche, SW/D C, 33 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2002 (from Millwall on a Bosman free transfer)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 25GP (3 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 380GP (9 as sub), 12 goals

The influential Dyche is a born leader and extremely hard worker that Hornets fans have come to appreciate. Respected by teammates, Dyche is likely going to captain this squad and man the middle of my defense. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Marcus Gayle, D LC, 33 years old, Jamaican, 14 Caps, 3 goals

Joined Club: August 2001 (from Glasgow Rangers for £900,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 32GP, 1 goal

Career Stats: 517GP (47 as sub), 73 goals

Gayle is a converted forward who has played solid defensively since the transition. He's getting up in age but will compete for a first-team position <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ben Herd, D R, 19 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: March 2003 (from Watford FC Academy)

Herd endured an injury-plagued season last year and was a regular fixture on the reserve squad. One of my coaches feels he has great potential and should get first-team duties but my other coaches don't seem to feel the same way. Herd seems really green to me and will likely spend time in the reserves again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Adrian Mariappa, D C, 17 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2004 (from Watford FC Academy)

Mariappa will ply his trade in the reserves this season, although my coaches don't feel he has the ability to become a useful first-team player. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cameron Mawer, D R, 18 years old, English, Uncapped

Another academy graduate, Mawer will also get his professional education in our reserve squad. My coaches feel he should get one more year to show his skills; they say that if he doesn't perform, he should be shipped out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Paul Mayo, D L, 22 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: February 2004 (from Lincoln City for £65,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 12GP, 0 goals

Lincoln City (English League Two) 31GP, 6 goals

Career Stats: 121GP (15 as sub), 7 goals

Mayo arrived from Lincoln late last season and provided a steady presence on the left side. Two of my coaches really like him; the other two consider him average. He's got a tremendous throw in and possesses good ball skills and will likely patrol the left fullback position. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jack Smith, D R, 20 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: February 2002 (from Watford FC Academy)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 17GP (1 as sub), 2 goals

Career Stats: 18GP (2 as sub), 2 goals

Yet another fine Watford Academy grad, Smith is developing nicely and remains a favourite of my coaches. I believe he's still not ready for full-time duty but will get every chance to compete for senior squad status. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Overall Thoughts:

We seem to have nice depth on our backline, with Chambers, Cox, Doyley, Dyche, Gayle, Mayo and Smith showing the ability to be legitimate first-team players. We also have a few lads on the U18 team who could contend for positions in the years to come. Defense is certainly a strength of this team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NoSkillz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>_Originally Posted by spurzgrrl:_

< settles in with cup of Timmy's and a dutchie >

icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif A Canadian reference! And a beauty, eh? icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good day, eh? < raises a stubby of 50 >

Hoser. (I'm in Kitchener - good start!)

Midfielders:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Neil Ardley, D/AM R, 31 years old, English, 10 U21 Caps, 0 U21 goals

Joined Club: August 2002 (free - unattached)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 38GP (3 as sub), 1 goal

Career Stats: 326GP (34 as sub), 21 goals

Ardley is our top choice for set-pieces, showing skill with free kicks and corners. He isn't much of a finisher, however. On the plus side, he offers a bit of versatility with his ability to play defense. The coaches are pretty enamored with him. Will likely garner first-team status. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dominic Blizzard, D/DM C, 20 years old, English, Uncapped

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 2GP (1 as sub), 1 goal

Career Stats: 2GP (1 as sub), 1 goal

The young Blizzard has pretty decent defensive capabilities but is still pretty green from an attacking standpoint. My coaches aren’t very high on him from a long-term standpoint, saying he’s a fringe player on the squad. Since I expect to play an up-tempo style, Blizzard may be relegated to the bench and the reserve squad unless he really impresses early. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>James Collins, D/M LC, 19 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: June 2004 (from Watford FC Academy)

Collins just graduated from our youth academy but our coaches aren’t high on him. He’ll need experience before getting first team responsibilities and will either get loaned out or relegated to the reserve squad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Paul Coyne, DM L, 18 years old, English, Uncapped

Coyne is another recent graduate from our developmental system and even greener than Collins. As such, he’ll either get loaned out or placed on the reserve squad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jermaine Darlington, D/AM L, 30 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2004 (Bosman free - unattached)

2003/04 Stats: Milton Keynes Dons (League One) 41GP (1 as sub), 1 goal

Career Stats: 176GP (9 as sub), 5 goals

Darlington is a pacy, versatile defender/midfielder with a bit of flair but limited finishing ability. I envision him providing depth to the squad and little else. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Paul Devlin, AM R, 32 years old, Scottish, 10 Caps, 0 goals

Joined Club: September 2003 (from Birmingham City for £150,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 39GP, 3 goals

Birmingham City (English Premier League) 2GP (2 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 455GP (54 as sub), 84 goals

Popular, attacking winger built in the same mold as Ardley. Devlin is a hard-working player who doesn’t excel in any particular area but is just solid all-around. Will compete for a first-team position and likely be placed in a rotation with Ardley. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Andy Ferrell, DM LC, 20 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2004 (free - unattached)

Ferrell just joined Watford after leaving hometown club Newcastle, where he toiled in the reserves. He is a very nice looking prospect, with solid tackling ability and pretty decent ball skills for a defensive-minded player. He will battle for a first-team position, but may toil in the reserves for awhile in order to build stamina. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Brynjar Gunnarsson, D/DM R, 28 years old, Icelandic, 39 Caps, 3 goals

Joined Club: June 2004 (Bosman free - unattached)

2003/04 Stats: Nottingham Forest (Championship) 13GP (4 as sub), 0 goals

Stoke City (Championship) 3GP (2 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 156GP (9 as sub), 17 goals

Another fine recent signing, Gunnarsson, an Icelandic international, is a combative, hard-working midfielder who will provide excellent cover in the centre for Watford this season. A very feisty player, who seems to be well respected by his new teammates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jamie Hand, DM C, 20 years old, English, Uncapped

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 22GP (6 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 55GP (15 as sub), 0 goals

An enthusiastic, hard-tackling youngster developed through the academy, Hand is full of potential. The coaches to a man feel he’ll become an excellent player for the squad with experience. Since I’m pretty solid already, there’s a good chance I’ll loan Hand out to another squad in order to get first-team experience.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gavin Mahon, SW/DM C, 27 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: March 2002 (from Brentford for £150,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 32GP, 2 goals

Career Stats: 207GP (7 as sub), 11 goals

Mahon was Watford’s Player of the Year in 2003, putting together many commanding displays on the pitch. A rock in the midfield, Mahon also has strong abilities with set pieces, which can’t hurt. A lock for first-squad status. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anthony McNamee, AM L, 20 years old, English, Uncapped

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 2 GP (2 as sub), 0 goals

Career Stats: 31GP (28 as sub), 1 goal

McNamee has great ball skills and pace but lacks effective stamina due to asthma. He’s also quite diminutive and therefore isn’t great defensively. That being said, his explosiveness on attack may serve us well in a backup role and my coaches seem to feel he has room to grow. Likely will hang on as a reserve. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ashley Young, AM RL, 19 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: March 2003 (from Watford FC Academy)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 5GP (5 as sub), 3 goals

Career Stats: 5GP (5 as sub), 3 goals

Young, a Watford academy grad, made quite the splash in his first season with the club, scoring 3 times in 5 appearances. A very solid prospect offensively with room to improve on the defensive side, Young will get every chance to show he belongs on the senior squad this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Overall Thoughts:

I have a nice core in my midfield, especially down the centre with Mahon and Gunnarsson. Devlin, Ardley, Young and Ferrell will battle for spots on the wings. I’m also happy with my prospects at the position, especially Ferrell, Young and Hand. No shortage of depth here!

Forwards:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hameur Bouazza, F C, 19 years old, French, Uncapped

Joined Club: May 2004 (from Watford FC Academy)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 9GP (3 as sub), 1 goal

Career Stats: 9GP (3 as sub), 1 goal

Pacy with a solid work ethic, Bouazza already has fine finishing skills for a lad of 19 years. I’m already really deep at forward and may offer him on loan to further his development. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gauthier Diafutua, S C, 18 years old, French, Uncapped

Another French striker, Diafutua has a fan in my reserves coach, who feels he deserves first-squad status. However, my other coaches feel he should be transfer listed. I’ll reserve judgement for later: in the interim, I plan on loaning him out to see if he develops further. He already possesses fantastic finishing skills. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bruce Dyer, S C, 29 years old, English, 10 U21 Caps, 4 U21 goals

Joined Club: June 2003 (free transfer from Barnsley)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 31GP (13 as sub), 3 goals

Career Stats: 380GP (70 as sub), 105 goals

Dyer is coming off a very disappointing season, scoring only three times. An academy graduate, Dyer transferred to Crystal Palace in 1994 where he starred for a number of years before going to Barnsley. My coaches admire his work ethic but I envision him as a third choice behind Webber and Helguson. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Scott Fitzgerald, S C, 24 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: February 2003 (free transfer from Northwood)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 44GP (16 as sub), 10 goals

Career Stats: 48GP (19 as sub), 11 goals

Fitzgerald led Watford in goal scoring last season but my coaches feel that he’s developed as much as he can and should be transfer listed. He has great pace and good work ethic but due to the fact I have good depth at the position, I’ll transfer list him and also make him available for loan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Heidar Helguson, S C, 26 years old, Icelandic, 25 Caps, 2 goals

Joined Club: January 2000 (from Lillestrom for £1,500,000)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 22GP (2 as sub), 8 goals

Career Stats: 179GP (39 as sub), 57 goals

Helguson is a firm fan and coaches favourite, showing great bravery in the box and always giving his all no matter the circumstance. A prodigious header of the ball with excellent ability as a target man, this Icelandic international will be heavily featured in the front two this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jason Norville, F RC, 20 years old, Trinidad and Tobago, 2 Caps, 1 goal

Career Stats: 13GP (7 as sub), 1 goal

Norville shows control and finish from in close but is very injury prone, having missed the entire 2003 campaign. My scouts are divided regarding his ability, so I may loan him out and see if he develops with first-team touches. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Danny Webber, S C, 22 years old, English, Uncapped

Joined Club: July 2003 (from Manchester United for undisclosed fee)

2003/04 Stats: Watford (Championship) 27GP (3 as sub), 5 goals

Career Stats: 48GP (7 as sub), 9 goals

The popular and explosively talented Webber had his first full season with the Hornets overshadowed by the death of close pal and teammate Jimmy Davis on the eve of the 2003/04 season. Webber turned down Manchester Alex Ferguson’s three-year offer to rejoin Manchester United in order to further develop his career at Watford as a first-teamer. Webber has excellent first touch and close control skills and will team with Helguson up front on our attack. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Overall Thoughts

I’m already set as far as I’m concerned with my strikers, with Helguson and Webber getting the starting nods and Dyer providing backup support. I’ll retain one more guy for the reserve team and try to loan or sell the other players.

Wednesday July 14, 2004:

Good afternoon Graham,

I just wanted to update you on my progress so far, first of all regarding the club's scouting. One of the scouts will exclusively be looking at our next opposition, providing reports on their tactics and personnel. I've allocated another scout to visit teams throughout the Championship division, giving us more in-depth knowledge of our future opponents. Finally, our top talent scout will scour the free transfer market looking for youngsters for our academy.

I've also setup a pre-season training schedule for the lads, incorporating a few little wrinkles to improve team chemistry, specifically an 11-a-side training match. This will certainly offset the cancelled friendly from Monday night.

Our first friendly takes place tomorrow night at Gay Meadow against Shrewsbury Town, a League Two club. Kevin Russell Hardwick, our advance scout, indicates they have a reasonable club with a pacy offensive line. Regardless, I plan to utilize a 4-4-2 formation and will implement an up-tempo, creative system to generate offense. My goal is to bring excitement to Vicarage Road this season!

Wish us luck!

Matt Bosela

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hornets Prevail in Bosela’s Debut

Thursday July 15, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

A Danny Webber strike in the 26th minute was good enough to claim victory for Watford in manager Matthew Bosela’s debut against Division Two Shrewsbury Town.

The Hornets controlled play for the majority of the first half at Gay Meadow but had trouble generating good chances against a resolute Shrewsbury side. The breakthrough goal from Webber was beautifully setup by strike partner Heidar Helguson on a counter attack midway through the first half.

The second half saw both clubs employ their backups and the play that resulted proved to be decidedly second-rate, with non-existent tackling and poor finishing.

“It’s obviously a friendly, but I’m quite delighted to have squeezed out a victory in my first goâ€, Bosela proclaimed. “The lads looked rusty, to be sure, but I certainly am not upset with our defensive performance. You always will have a chance for victory when holding the opposition to a single shot on goal.†Bosela went on to say that “our practices are intensifying and the guys are becoming more familiar with each other every single day. The up-tempo style is new to them but we ultimately have enough talent to pull it off. It’s just a matter of clean execution, something that takes time to develop, something I’m sure will be there when the real season begins.†<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">FRIENDLY

THURSDAY JULY 15, 2004.

FULL TIME FROM GAY MEADOW, SHREWSBURY

Shrewsbury 0

Watford 1

------------------------------------------------

GOALS:

Shrewsbury: None

Watford: Danny Webber (26)

SHOTS ON TARGET:

Shrewsbury: 1

Watford: 6

Attendance: 7967 Score at Half: 0-1

Referee: Mark Warren Weather: Dry 29ºC</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford vs. Gillingham Match Televised

Saturday July 17, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

The Championship match between Watford and Gillingham has been rescheduled for live television coverage.

The match will now take place on Sunday September 26, 2004. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford Boss Praises Quinn

Sunday July 18, 2004 (bbc.co.uk/sport) -

Taking time out from his busy schedule, Matthew Bosela took a moment to mention that Jimmy Quinn, manager of Shrewsbury Town, was doing a very good job and that Shrews fans were lucky to have him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On Tap Next Week:

Tuesday July 20, 2004: vs. Denizlispor (Friendly)

Saturday July 24, 2004: vs. Leverkusen (Friendly)

Monday July 19, 2004:

Good evening Graham,

I hope you had a chance to catch the game last week. It was a bit rough but the win was well deserved.

Turkish Premier side Denizlispor will arrive at Vicarage Road for a game against us tomorrow night. Scout Kevin Hardwick believes their team is strong, with striker Ersen Martin leading their potent attack. To be honest, wins are great, but I'm using these friendlies as a means of getting our lads in playing shape. There were eight players who were not selected for the Shrewsbury game; all eight will see the pitch tomorrow night at some point.

Training is going very well; my staff have nothing but praise for every single member of the club, saying their dedication to the club is to be commended.

I'm looking forward to my first home contest. We'll see you at the Vic!

Matt Bosela

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford Tough Out Win Over Denizlispor

Tuesday July 20, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

Watford took advantage of two early goals to defeat Turkish Premier club Denizlispor 2-0 Tuesday night. The contest was fiercely contested, with hard tackling throughout; the Turkish side was booked five times in the match while the Hornets drew a solitary yellow.

The Golden Boys opened the scoring only five minutes in when Icelandic international Bryjnar Gunnarsson took a beautiful cross from young French striker Hameur Bouazza and struck a venomous shot into the left corner of the goal.

Nine minutes later, Bouazza's strike partner on the night, Scott Fitzgerald was fouled in the box and referee Nigel Miller awarded a penalty shot. Watford manager Matthew Bosela decided on Neil Ardley for the kick, and he would not let his boss down, nailing a beautiful strike into the right hand corner of the net to put the Hornets up 2-nil.

The Turkish side's interesting 3-2-3-2 formation allowed them to control possession ever so slighly but they never really challenged Watford keepers Alec Chamberlain and Richard Lee.

"I thought the boys were in fine form tonight.", exclaimed Bosela in the post-match comments. "We came out with vigor and really put them in a precarious position early in the contest with the two quick strikes. They're a club who favours short, controlled passes but our lads were very determined and wouldn't let them break us down." Bosela concluded by saying that he was thrilled with the "complete performance by all 22 players who took the pitch."

The Hornets are back in action at Vicarage Road on Saturday night against Leverkusen, a German First Division club. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TUESDAY JULY 20, 2004.

FULL TIME FROM VICARAGE ROAD, WATFORD

Watford 2

Denizlispor 0

GOALS:

Watford: Brynjar Gunnarsson (5), Neil Ardley (14)

Denizlispor: None

SHOTS ON TARGET:

Watford: 4

Denizlispor: 5

Attendance: 7219 Score at Half: 2-0

Referee: Nigel Miller Weather: Wet 18ºC</pre>

Wednesday July 21, 2004:

Good morning Matt,

I just wanted to let you know that I have been very impressed with Hull's 16-year old central midfielder Aaron Allanson and suggest you take a closer look at him.

I watched him play in Hull's 1-0 victory over Sunderland.

Frank Sibley, Chief Scout, Watford FC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford - Leverkusen Friendly Cancelled

Friday July 23, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

The friendly match between Watford and Leverkusen has been cancelled due to a clash with the FC Bayern - Leverkusen fixture.

This German League Cup Semi-Final match takes place on Monday July 26th at a neutral site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On Tap Next Week:

Wednesday July 28, 2004: AT MANSFIELD TOWN (Friendly)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spurzgrrl

I think what amuses me most about this is that I'm originally FROM Watford, and now an import Canadian...sounds like it was a trade. icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really?! Did you ever get to any games when you were there?

Why have you decided to support the Spurs? Blasphemy! icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Tuesday July 27, 2004:

Good afternoon Matthew,

I know our Chief Scout Frank Sibley has been praising young Hull City midfielder Aaron Allanson in his recent reports. I just wanted to let you know that I've had my eye on him as well and feel he has the potential to become a good footballer in the years to come.

Regarding our upcoming friendly with Mansfield City, I wanted to inform you that manager Keith Curle uses a direct 4-4-2 formation. I feel that they only have an average side and under normal circumstances wouldn't be able to compete with a team of our caliber. They do have a threat in striker Derek Asamoah.

Good luck tomorrow,

Kevin Russell Hardwick, Advance Scout, Watford FC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening Graham,

The preseason has gone exactly as planned, with the players training well and showing enthusiasm every day on the pitch. We have escaped without injury as well, knock on wood!

On the recommendation of two of our scouts, I’ve made an offer to Hull City for 16-year old midfielder Aaron Allanson in an effort to bolster our academy. I’ll let you know about my progress on this potential signing.

We play at Mansfield tomorrow night, an English League Two side. We will continue with our philosophy of rotating the players into action in an effort to get everyone ready for the Championship opener next weekend.

I’ll see you at Field Mill tomorrow.

Matt Bosela, Manager

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford Ride Stingy D to Victory

Wednesday July 28, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

Young striker Hameur Bouazza bagged a brace to lead Watford to a 2-0 triumph over Mansfield Town at Field Mill.

Bouazza's goals came only three minutes apart midway through the first half. The first goal came on a disastrous defensive breakdown from Mansfield, as they allowed a two man break between Bouazza and strike partner Heidar Helguson. Bouazza made no mistake in firing home a rocket into the bottom right corner of the net to make it 1-nil. The Hornets would strike again at 24 minutes, as defender Jack Smith sent a lovely ball down the right flank to winger Paul Devlin. Devlin took the ball and sent in a tremendous cross to a waiting Bouazza, who confidently headed the ball past beleaguered Mansfield keeper Luke Steele to make it 2-nil. Things soured a bit for the Golden Boys when former skipper Neil Cox went down at the 28 minute mark with an undisclosed injury.

The second half saw both teams struggle to put together offensive attacks, as Watford especially seemed more interested in defending their clean sheet rather than pushing forward for a third goal. Mansfield were unable to break the Hornets defense down for the entire match; in fact, they were unable to register a single shot on target.

“It was a quality performance from the entire club and I'm especially pleased the way the young lads are playing", proclaimed manager Matthew Bosela. "You expect good displays from the incumbents but I'm pleasantly surprised at the form of the young players who haven't had a taste of much first team football." Bosela went on to specifically praise the excellent play of both Bouazza and midfielder Jermaine Darlington, who was a constant threat for the 49 minutes he was on the pitch. "My only concern right now is the health of Coxy", Bosela said. "I'm just about to check with our physio on his status but I must confess things don't look promising at the moment."

Watford next takes to the pitch on Tuesday night at Nene Park in Irthlingborough, where they will face League Two side Rushden and Diamonds. This will be Watford's last game in preparation for their 2004/05 Championship opener against Coventry, which takes place the following Saturday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WEDNESDAY JULY 28, 2004.

FULL TIME FROM FIELD MILL, MANSFIELD

Mansfield 0

Watford 2

GOALS:

Mansfield: None

Watford: Hameur Bouazza (21, 24)

SHOTS ON TARGET:

Mansfield: 0

Watford: 3

Attendance: 9809 Score at Half: 0-2

Referee: Andy Ford Weather: Dry 24ºC</pre>

Good evening Matt,

I've conducted my post-match physical on defender Neil Cox and unfortunately, the news isn't good.

Neil has a torn groin and will likely miss a month of action. I'll advise you when he is capable of resuming training.

Luke Anthony, Physio, Watford FC

Saturday July 31, 2004:

Memo To: Matthew Bosela, Manager, Watford FC

Good morning,

I would be willing to sell our young midfielder Aaron Allanson for a fee of £3,000 plus 50% of any future sale.

Let me know if you're still interested.

Peter Taylor, Manager, Hull City

Memo To: Peter Taylor, Manager, Hull City

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your quick reply. I would be willing to pay £1,000 for the rights to Allanson and will give you 10% of any future transfer for the player.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Matthew Bosela, Manager, Watford FC

Sunday August 1, 2004:

I just wanted to let you know that the Board of Directors still feel that we've made the right decision in hiring you to take over here at Watford.

We're pleased with your progress thus far. Continued good luck.

Graham Simpson, Chairman, Watford FC

On Tap Next Week:

Tuesday August 3, 2004: AT RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS (Friendly)

Saturday August 7, 2004: AT COVENTRY CITY (Championship)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NoSkillz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>_Originally posted by spurzgrrl_

I think what amuses me most about this is that I'm originally FROM Watford, and now an import Canadian...sounds like it was a trade. icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Really?! Did you ever get to any games when you were there? Why have you decided to support the Spurs? Blasphemy! icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My family had moved out of the city to Watford...they'd been North Londoners from way back. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by millwallrules:

this is my fave story on the forum.brillianty written with lots of depth.plz keep it going as im lovin it.also bouazza is in great form maybe you should give him a chance in the first team as he has so far assisted 1 and scored 2 from 2 matches <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Thank you very much! icon_smile.gif I'm also writing an NHL:EHM dynasty so I'm rotating between the two games on a nightly basis. I'm pretty excited about playing my week in FM tomorrow night; my Championship debut should prove a bit tougher than the friendlies!

Thanks again for reading!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SirFozzie:

Bah. Eaglesfan and 3ric's are better icon_wink.gif

(Just poking fun at NoSkillz, he's crossposting this dynasty on our sports sim board (a North American sports sim board).

We need a FOFC Online game icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget about FrogMan! icon_smile.gif His story on Luton is pretty great too over at FOFC.

Hmm. I thought I was using creative license throughout most of the story as opposed to 'cut and paste'. Most of what's here is my own interpretation but I'll take note of what GeordieMike was saying for future posts.

Monday night poker got in the way of FM last night, so I'll continue with my season tonight!

Monday August 2, 2004:

Good evening Graham,

Well, I had to open my trap about our luck avoiding injuries, didn't I? Neil Cox will be out at least three weeks with his groin strain and to add to our misery, in-form striker Hameur Bouazza twisted his ankle in training on Thursday and will likely be out for 7 days.

Our final friendly of the season is against Rushden and Diamonds in Irthlingborough tomorrow evening. I plan on fielding our forecasted first team to start the game in order to develop a bit more chemistry before our Championship debut on Saturday. Scout Kevin Hardwick tells me that Rushden are an average side and play a direct 4-4-2 formation. I'm just hoping to escape the game without further injury.

Oh, did you see what the media are saying about our chances in the Championship this season? Not surprisingly, they feel we are hard-pressed to stay afloat and consider us relegation candidates and an 80-1 longshot to top the table. I'll just have to work even harder to prove the naysayers wrong.

I'm sorry you aren't able to attend tomorrow's game but we'll talk later this week.

Matt Bosela, Manager

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Late Rushden Goal Dooms Watford

Tuesday August 3, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

Rushden's Daniel Talbot scored on a laser-like free kick from just outside the box in the 83rd minute to send Watford home with a 2-1 loss.

Rushden midfielder Andrew Sambrook was the architect of the lovely first goal, spotting Jamaican striker Simeon Jackson open down the middle of the pitch. Jackson took the classy feed and made no mistake, putting the shot past Hornets keeper Richard Lee at the 29 minute mark. Lee's teammates were a lethargic bunch in the opening 45, showing no pace and very little battling spirit.

Things picked up for the Golden Boys in the second half with the introduction of the second team and a change to an attacking 3-1-3-1-2 formation. Watford's newfound determination was rewarded when striker Bruce Dyer headed midfielder Jermaine Darlington's precise cross into the back of the net to knot the score at 1. It just wasn't to be, however, as Talbot fired a rocket over a wall of Hornets past backup keeper Alec Chamberlain to seal Watford's fate.

"I'm extremely disappointed in the effort our players put forth tonight", a downcast Matthew Bosela offered postgame. "We may not have the most talented team in the Championship but I know we have more fight than we showed in this match. If we're to succeed this season, we'll need that effort in every game and I'll settle for nothing less." Bosela left the media throng declaring that changes might be made to the starting eleven for Watford's Championship opener against Coventry on Saturday afternoon. Game time is 3:00pm at Highfield Road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TUESDAY AUGUST 3, 2004.

FULL TIME FROM NENE PARK, IRTHLINGBOROUGH

Rushden and Diamonds 2

Watford 1

GOALS:

Rushden: Simeon Jackson (29), Daniel Talbot (83)

Watford: Bruce Dyer (71)

SHOTS ON TARGET:

Rushen: 2

Watford: 4

Attendance: 6386 Score at Half: 1-0

Referee: Barry Knight Weather: Dry 22ºC</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford Draw Colchester United in Carling Cup First Round

Friday August 6, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

The draw was made for the English League Cup today and the Golden Boys drew an away match against League One side Colchester United.

"This is a tough draw for us, going on the road for our first cup match", manager Matt Bosela indicated after the conclusion of the draw. "I'm quite certain Phil Parkinson will have his team well prepared for the contest and I can only hope that we are in good form for the match. I can tell you that I plan on playing our first team for the duration of our stay in the competition - many managers like to play their youngsters as a means of introducing them to big-time football but my main concern is winning games."

The first round match will be played on Wednesday August 25th at Layer Road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Friday August 6, 2004:

Good evening,

I assume you saw the draw for the Carling Cup a couple hours ago. I hoped for a draw at home but I suppose we're fortunate to have avoided another Championship side for our first round. Still should be a tough fight.

On to more important matters - our big Championship opener tomorrow afternoon at Highfield Road. I'm going to go with a bit more of a defensive look than I've showed in the preseason, with my central midfielders Gavin Mahon and Brynjar Gunnarsson dropping back into a DM position. I feel this tactic will give us an excellent chance at victory. I have a couple changes in store for the game tomorrow: in-form midfielder Jermaine Darlington will be inserted into the left midfield position in place of Paul Devlin, who hasn't shown much confidence on that side of the field. I'm also going to play youngster Jack Smith in the right fullback position in place of Lloyd Doyley for the first match.

Advance scout Kevin Russell Hardwick says that manager Peter Reid plays an attacking 4-4-2 formation and he specifically praised their pacy attack. After perusing their roster, I feel that if we are able to contain Trinidad and Tobago striker Stern John, we have a good shot at victory.

We've finalized our roster and I've made the following players available for loan: Defenders Ben Herd, Adrian Mariappa and Cam Mawer; Midfielders Dom Blizzard, James Collins, Paul Coyne and Jamie Hand; Forwards Gauthier Diafutua, Scott Fitzgerald and Jason Norville. I hope to further their development by getting them access to first-team playing time. As it stands now, they would be hard pressed to even get minutes with our reserve team.

That's all for now. The players are excited, as am I. We'll see you tomorrow!

Matthew Bosela, Manager

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lee Saves a Point at Highfield Road

Saturday August 7, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

Watford was completely overwhelmed by Coventry City's attack this afternoon but keeper Richard Lee was at his resilient best in a 2-2 draw at Highfield Road. Coventry had an incredible 19 shots with 9 hitting the intended target, while Watford could only muster 1 shot on target.

Indeed, one of Watford's goals was an inadvertent deflection and that was the opener. Six minutes in, Hornets midfielder Jermaine Darlington sent a cross into the box that Coventry defender Richard Shaw tried to clear. Unfortunately for him, it was rifled right at striker Danny Webber and deflected right into the Coventry goal. A great start for Watford went sour only three minutes later, when Gary McSheffrey went in unmarked and potted one past Lee to tie the game at 1. Injury struck one of Watford's best early season players when Darlington went down clutching his knee at the 17 minute mark and had to be replaced by Paul Devlin.

Watford was able to right the ship and got off to a tremendous start in the second half as well. Neil Ardley took an ill-advised clearing pass from the Coventry keeper and was able to find Heidar Helguson with a deadly cross that was expertly finished. This did not seem to adversely affect the Coventry side, who continued to pester the shell-shocked Lee. They finally got another one past him at 71 minutes, when Neil Wood accepted a cross inside the box and put a deadly strike into the left side of the goal to make the score 2-2. The Golden Boys held on for dear life the rest of the way, looking entirely out of shape during the final third. Adding to the problems was midfielder Gavin Mahon, who received two yellow cards within a three minute period to earn an early trip to the showers. Ultimately though, Man-of-the-Match Lee was up to the task.

"I'm thrilled to get a point out of this game, to be honest", an exhausted Matthew Bosela said after the contest. "We were thoroughly outplayed the entire contest and I can say that Coventry likely deserved a better fate. However, there was one who did play his heart out for us and that lad is Richard Lee. He was truly spectacular today and single-handedly earned the point for us." Bosela then talked about the negatives, specifically his club's lack of fitness in the contest. "My coaches tell me that training is going well, but every player is sucking wind out there. The cancelled friendly certainly didn't help but we can't accept the players showing up for games out of shape. We may have to step things up in the days ahead if we're to keep pace with our opponents in future contests."

Bosela singled out two players for poor form: the aforementioned Mahon, who the manager said "should know better than to challenge a referee late in a contest" and "almost cost us the game." He also was dismayed at the very poor debut from Icelandic international Brynjar Gunnarsson, who was given a 4/10 rating by the BBC for his 'performance'. "I'm shocked at how poor his form was today", Bosela opined. "However, he knows he played poorly and doesn't need a lecture from me. He's a very self-motivated individual and I know he'll be better in our next game."

That next game is the home opener for Watford against Derby on Tuesday night. Kickoff at Vicarage Road is 7:30pm. Mahon will be forced to serve a mandatory one-game suspension for the red card he picked up this afternoon, and therefore won't be available for the game. There is no news yet on the condition of injured winger Jermaine Darlington. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">CHAMPIONSHIP

SATURDAY AUGUST 7, 2004

FULL TIME FROM HIGHFIELD ROAD, COVENTRY

Coventry 2

Watford 2

GOALS:

Coventry: Gary McSheffrey (9), Neil Wood (71)

Watford: Danny Webber (6), Heidar Helguson (49)

SHOTS ON TARGET:

Coventry: 9

Watford: 1

Attendance: 18326 Score at Half: 1-1

Referee: Paul Taylor Weather: Dry 24ºC</pre>

Saturday August 7, 2004:

Good evening Matt,

I've conducted my post-match physical on midfielder Jermaine Darlington. He has strained knee ligaments and will be sidelined for about a month.

He was completely heartbroken over this turn of events, especially considering his fine early season form. We'll miss his presence for sure but I don't feel there's anything to be worried about long-term.

Luke Anthony, Physio, Watford FC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Watford - Cardiff Match Rescheduled

Saturday August 7, 2004 (watfordfc.co.uk) -

The Championship match between Watford and Cardiff originally scheduled for Tuesday August 17th has been moved to Saturday September 4th due to international call-ups. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On Tap Next Week:

Tuesday August 10, 2004: vs. Derby County (Championship)

Saturday August 14, 2004: AT WIGAN ATHLETIC (Championship)

Just read all of this story. Stick with your format and style as that is what obviously pleases you - you've already got quite a following who like it that way.

Good luck for your first ever season of FM2005. A 2-2 draw on the opening day of the league is better than a loss anyway and I'm sure things will improve. KUTGW icon14.gif

Archived