Standart 4-4-2 vs. diamond

I must say that I am a fan of classic 4-4-2 as it gives very balanced approach to the game. Yet the game itself might be suggesting to use AMC and DMC possitions more often. Let me explain why.

I find more often midfielders to be natural AMC or DMC with accomplished MC. At first I thought its ok and player should perform equally well in MC possition even though coaches are rating MC position one star less than their natural position. But then after trying numerous teams and players I noticed that those AMCs and DMCs are performing way worse in MC possition. That especially well can be seen with star AMCs in some clubs - are useless as MC but start scoring and assisting like crazy when put into their natural AMC possition.

Still, I don't see many people using 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation around. And while I was trying to switch from 4-4-2 to diamond, I noticed that I loose possesion and allow opposition too many chances(which is strange, cause now DMC is supporting those back four, so defence should be even more solid).

Has anyone succeded with diamond 4-1-2-1-2 and is it possible to play without MCs at all without allowing opposition too much possession in the midfield?

Archived