Best Version Of FM To Play These Days?

FM09.

Pro's : Much better game than previous incarnations, as per usual the latest is the best :)

Cons : Nothing at all that wasn't an issue with playing previous versions imo.

i don't know any players really of clubs lower than the Championship or even what clubs are best and worst from League 1 and 2 ' date=' so i wouldn't have any idea what kinda players or tactics to use

and i need to use other peoples tactics ( always use Sexy Football but change the formation and i score about 20-30 goals from corners a season ) its amazin :cool:

just can't stay on 1 save for more than 3 seasons :( see people going like 30 seaons and i can't even do 4, its depressing :thdn: so there really is no point if i start a new game every week :([/quote']

That's why you're getting bored. Pick a club from the lowest league possible (i.e. AFC Wimbledon from the Blue Square South), create your own tactic, learn to accept that you will lose and you'll love the moments when everything comes together and you win a game.

Damn right. That's what people need to know. You got to have your head wiped in the mud to appreciate the good times. I don't think ManUtd fans get the high of winning the league every year that Pompey fans got last year winning the cup.

Just out of interest, what bugged you about FM08 Wee Aja?

C.

I know that was aimed at Wee Aja, but I was also bugged by 08.

The Match Engine was worse than 07s.

Tactics were less logical, and you couldn't play attacking football.

It was harder to be successful with a target man.

Confidence, whilst a great idea, was broken.

Regens were poor.

News items went from "okay" to "boring and repetitive"- see "pitch size".

The split news system.

The skin was rubbish.

The Match Engine was worse than 07s.

In what way?

Tactics were less logical, and you couldn't play attacking football.

I played attacking football all of the time on 08 and used the same tactics as I did on 07. :confused:

It was harder to be successful with a target man.

Not sure about this one. Granted, it probably was because in 07 the target man was hugely overrated. A good target man would get the MoM every week! It was the key to winning and being successful, so much so that I remember someone renaming the game Target Man Manager 2007. :D

Confidence, whilst a great idea, was broken.

I remember problems at first but I thought it was fixed up after patch 8.2? :confused:

Regens were poor.

Not sure about this one but at least they were better than in 09! Too many great regens in the lower leagues and they all have physical stats way beyond their level. :(

News items went from "okay" to "boring and repetitive"- see "pitch size". The split news system.

Yes, I will agree with the split news thing. I didn't like that.

The skin was rubbish.

I downloaded a new one!

Anyway, personally I thought FM08 was at least on a par with 07, if not better!

C.

That's why you're getting bored. Pick a club from the lowest league possible (i.e. AFC Wimbledon from the Blue Square South), create your own tactic, learn to accept that you will lose and you'll love the moments when everything comes together and you win a game.

Reckon so :)?

i usually go clubs like Spurs or Man City, never go a Sunderland or that in the premiership. I was thinking of going Reading or someone else from the Championship but i don't know :confused: and what club would you suggest me going that have a good squad and are good financially that i can try get some success with ?? maybe Leeds or something for now as it will be my first smaller club then if i have success with them give a blue square team a go ?

thanks a lot for ur advice :)

I second FM'35, 35.3 patch.

You have to have the 35.3 patch though, it stops the goalkeeper falling asleep bug.

And watch out for Burberry Rooney, he's Wayne's son and he's a wonderkid in the United States of Manchester United academy. Must have signing.

Failing that you could just go back to CM01/02, awesome game.

FM2007 was the only game that made me take a laptop to my travels. Sometimes you know from the beggining if you'll like something or not. I loved it by the time I installed the demo, and after the 2nd patch it was a superb game. On the contrary FM08 never had the chance to be installed, I hated it from the demo, something was wrong with that version. Of course that's just my opinion, but I see a lot of others feel the same.

I'm playing 07 at the moment, but have 08 and had 09 briefly. I'm not really sure why I didn't like 09 I just didn't find the experience enjoyable.

I liked 08 but the main gripe I had with 08 was the whole confidence thing. I just hated the idea that the confidence of a club's fans could be summarised on a match by match basis by a graphic bar. Despite this though I had a lot of fun with it. To me 08 seemed a bit laborious and incosistent tactically (well, not as much consistency as I had with FM07).

FM2007 has to be the best for me. It was simple and straightforward and I was able to make consistent tactics that I could use for years and have success with. It is also the FM I have had most fun with; taking R. Zaragoza to the UEFA Cup finals (to lose to Chelsea) is the greatest success I have had with any team and is still one of the fondest (and proudest) memories I have ever had with any football game. I also love lower league management and for me I thought the best moments in all my LLM career was in 07, even if I lost the BSN playoff finals with Farsley it was a really enjoyable ride.

Reckon so?

i usually go clubs like Spurs or Man City' date=' never go a Sunderland or that in the premiership. I was thinking of going Reading or someone else from the Championship but i don't know and what club would you suggest me going that have a good squad and are good financially that i can try get some success with ?? maybe Leeds or something for now as it will be my first smaller club then if i have success with them give a blue square team a go ?

thanks a lot for ur advice :)[/quote']

Just jump straight in at the deep end Kevin!

St. Albans City in Blue Square South is what you want. :D

Predicted 19th but they have a half decent squad (mid-table in real life) so you should be able to overachieve. :thup:

Starting in the lowest playable league is the best way to play the game, whether you kick off on a journeyman career or aim to take that club to the top.

Go for it!

C.

Just jump straight in at the deep end Kevin!

St. Albans City in Blue Square South is what you want. :D

Predicted 19th but they have a half decent squad (mid-table in real life) so you should be able to overachieve. :thup:

Starting in the lowest playable league is the best way to play the game, whether you kick off on a journeyman career or aim to take that club to the top.

Go for it!

C.

I will when i get home , i am at school just now haha

i don't know how long i willl last but lol

and my name is Darren not Kevin :thup: Kevin Thomson is a Rangers player

Cheers :D

The last version before SI introduced the 2D engine.

I think it was CM 3- 03/04 ( I dont know). Dont hold it against me.

What an awesome awesome game.

Pros: Tactics easy to configure, Brilliant database, long playing seasons, long careers, and infact, i think you would be recognised for your efforts in the game ( I was spurs ). Best of all, i didnt have to patch it up, and i still enjoyed the game. (I had no internet). Beautiful nostalgic appeal to the game (Players like Henry and Raul in their prime)

Cons: No 2D engine, you will of course not enjoy any new features. Thats all i have to say about that really.

That or cm 99/00 or 97/98. I think im an oldie. I preferred the older games. CM4 was pretty good too, but nothing tops the previous versions. FM 07 was the longest i ever played, so ill give a bit of a mention there.

I didnt help you much did i? lol

Well I had the most fun with CM2 95/96, the Belgian, Dutch & Spanish leagues edition. Because that was the first CM/FM I played! Man that was a great game. I was +/- 9 or 10 years old at the time. Go figure. I hardly understood the game as I hardly knew any English at that point (being Dutch)! But it was great fun. "Uhmmm, dad, what's a 'post'?"

My mum bought me a English-Dutch dictionary only to make me understand this game.

I can remember bringing some friends over from school to let them have a look at it, and the first thing they said was: "What in the world? Where are the players??? Where's the pitch??? Are you telling me you can't play as Ronaldo??? (who wasn't fat yet at the time)" :D

Ahhhhhhh, good times.

EDIT: Anyway to get on-topic: Personally I don't see any reason anymore, what after all the patching and all, NOT to play FM09. I think it's brilliant. Althought the tactics get on my nerves once in a while, but my thoughts on the tactics system of the later FM's are well documented in these forums.

Reckon so :)?

i usually go clubs like Spurs or Man City' date=' never go a Sunderland or that in the premiership. I was thinking of going Reading or someone else from the Championship but i don't know :confused: and what club would you suggest me going that have a good squad and are good financially that i can try get some success with ?? maybe Leeds or something for now as it will be my first smaller club then if i have success with them give a blue square team a go ?

thanks a lot for ur advice :)[/quote']

I get a bit like you, I've been playing 09 and it lost its appeal untill.....I took over southampton, no money but some great young players. I'm addicted to the game now.

Oh and My fave FM/CM would have to be Champ man 97....the old dos boot up. Quality game, got me hooked, use to play it all the time, never watched TV was always playing it, does any one else rememebr having to hit the space bar to get to the tatics screen to make subs!! ha ha classic.

Of the recent FM range it has to be 07, can put my finger on it but i just really liked it.

For me CM3 series was the best by far!!!

But as the thread says, the "Football Manager" series, not Championship Manager, as i know its the same people. Im highly addicted to 2009 but this threads making me want to put on 2007 as see what the fuss is about...

I get a bit like you, I've been playing 09 and it lost its appeal untill.....I took over southampton, no money but some great young players. I'm addicted to the game now.

Oh and My fave FM/CM would have to be Champ man 97....the old dos boot up. Quality game, got me hooked, use to play it all the time, never watched TV was always playing it, does any one else rememebr having to hit the space bar to get to the tatics screen to make subs!! ha ha classic.

Of the recent FM range it has to be 07, can put my finger on it but i just really liked it.

Awryt Mate ;) did you always go bigger clubs like in the Premiership and never Championship or lower ? i don't know whats making me bored with teams but it could be i am always going a Spurs ( ma fav English side :D ) or a Man City, teams like that and sometimes Rangers as i am a Rangers fan :)

might try a championship club tomorrow and see how i get on

do you think i should go southampton ?

Cheers

Archived