Fee Fife Fo Fum, I Smell the Blood...

Faramir

East Fife (4) Stenhousemuir (1)

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 6,9 Graham Gibson 39,44

Stenhousemuir- Scott McCulloch 14

MOM- Graham Gibson, East Fife

"Gibson and O'Reilly worked brilliantly together- a very nice effort for both of them to have braces," said a content Grayling.

"Don't forget the backline play. Except for the free kick goal they had- we really kept them bottled up," replied Gemmell.

"I was just happy to rebound with a win after that loss to Berwick."

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dixie- Sorry to say this edition of Elgin is not very good...

Thanks on the comment icon_smile.gif

Dumbarton (0) East Fife (1)

Dumbarton- None

East Fife- Graham Gibson 68

"That was a struggle," stated a relieved Gemmell.

"Graham Gibson came up with another big goal for us," agreed Grayling.

"We got away with a couple defensive mistakes, but overall we seemed to be improved in our backline play today."

"It seemed that way to me too. I thought Craig Farr and the backline communicated very well today."

East Stirling (1) East Fife (0)

East Stirling- Kelvin Flanagan 45-P

East Fife- None

MOM- John Sutton, East Fife

"Pretty bad judgement by Steve Fortune," sighed Grayling.

"Giving up that penalty kick on his poor challenge cost us the match," nodded Gemmell.

"We could have finished better- I think we would have won if we had done so."

"Craig O'Reilly missed two great chances today."

Elgin (0) East Fife (3)

Elgin- None

East Fife- Barry Ashby 4-OG Andrew Duffy 25 Craig O'Reilly 39

MOM- Craig O'Reilly, East Fife

"We wouldn't be having the kind of success we are- if not for our loanees Craig O'Reilly and Graham Gibson," said Grayling thoughtfully.

"Any chance of keeping them permanently?" asked Gemmell.

"Right now- no. I have gotten offers accepted with their parent clubs, but neither is willing to negotiate with us."

"O'Reilly's goal today was his 20th of the season."

"Imagine how many he would have if he hadn't been hurt."

"Nice to see John Sutton getting some recognition," stated Grayling.

"Young Player of the Month is great. I heard you got some notice yourself?" said Gemmell teasingly.

Grayling blushed a bit, "Manager of the Month is a pretty nice honour."

East Fife (4) Montrose (0)

East Fife- Lloyd Young 10 Graham Gibson 24 Paul Hampshire 85 Ryan Blackadder 89

Montrose- None

MOM- Andrew Duffy, East Fife

"A brilliant effort by the boys today. We took full advantage of every decent scoring chance," stated a pleased Grayling.

"It was a big match in many ways. Michael Hilton had a wonderful debut in goal today. His clean sheet was well earned," offered Gemmell.

"That he did. He really came through with some key saves early in the second half."

Scottish Third Division Table- 29 played 7 remaining

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- East Fife 55 pts (+33)

2- Queen's Park 49 pts (+4)

3- Berwick 47 pts (+10)

4- East Stirling 45 pts (+13)

5- Montrose 45 pts (-2)

6- Arbroath 43 pts (0)

</pre>

Arbroath (0) East Fife (3)

Arbroath- None

East Fife- Graham Gibson 14 Craig O'Reilly 79,86

"Another brilliant match up front from Graham (Gibson) and Craig (O'Reilly). Are you sure we can't keep them?" asked Gemmell with mock pleading in his voice.

Grayling laughed, "I plan on making one more offer for both of them, but I would prefer to do it toward the very end of the season."

"Craig Farr was also very solid today, he really has provided us good work in goal."

"Steady play is all I was hoping for and he has given us that. It was nice to end Arbroath's unbeaten streak after what the press said about their momentum this week."

East Fife (0) Albion Rovers (0)

East Fife- None

Albion- None

MOM- Todd Lumsden, Albion Rovers

"We had a good effort from our midfield and backline today, but our finishing was woeful," flatly stated Grayling.

"It was Stevie Nicholas' first match back from injury and the rust showed," agreed Gemmell.

"Andrew Duffy had a wonderful chance there in the second half, but could only skim the crossbar."

"It was close. Overall, we only put one of seven shots on target- that is mainly why we couldn't come up with a goal."

Queen's Park (2) East Fife (1)

Queen's Park- Frankie Carroll 24 Ruari Boyle 66

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 31

MOM- John Henry, Queen's Park

"It was frustrating to watch, but we didn't deserve to get a better result from this match," stated Grayling with disgust.

"I don't know why we passed so badly, but we had little to no control over the match because we gave the ball away so much," agreed Gemmell.

"Both goals they scored were bad ones too. Paul Martin missed intercepting the first one and that left Carroll with an easy finish past Craig Farr. Then we couldn't clear the ball away and Ruari Boyle blasts it off John Sutton and into the goal for the match winner."

"Graham Gibson really didn't seem to show up for the match today."

Scottish Third Division- 32 matches played, 4 remaining

1- East Fife 59 pts (+35)

2- Queen's Park 56 pts (+7)

3- Berwick 54 pts (+12)

4- Montrose 52 pts (0)

5- East Stirling 46 pts (+10)

6- Arbroath 45 pts (-3)

</pre>

East Fife (0) Dumbarton (1)

East Fife- None

Dumbarton- Tommy Coyne 79

MOM- Paul McCrink, Dumbarton

"Two in a row. Paul Martin's missed interception turns into a match winner," grimaced Grayling.

"We just weren't very sharp in this match either. Losing Craig O'Reilly early really seemed to throw our offense out of whack," commented Gemmell.

"We need a good match against Berwick next week."

"Too true. It is time for us to pick up our play. We did clinch a Playoff spot today, despite the loss."

"How bad is Craig?"

"Bad. He tore his calf muscle and is out 3 to 5 months."

Scottish Third Division- 33 matches played 3 remaining

1- East Fife 59 pts (+34)

2- Queen's Park 56 pts (+6)

3- Montrose 55 pts (+1)

4- Berwick 54 pts (+10)

</pre>

mark- a bit better after this match... icon_smile.gif

East Fife (4) Berwick (2)

East Fife- Lloyd Young 40 Andrew Duffy 50 Christopher Gilligan 66 Graham Gibson 67

Berwick- Chris McGroarty 15 Steven Notman 47

"Whew. I am immensely proud of the boys Dave. To fight back after yielding two bad goals...it was a great effort," said a clearly relieved Lewis Grayling.

"They really showed our fans how much heart they have today. They kept battling and battling and we finally took advantage of the chances," replied Dave Gemmell.

"Christopher Gilligan picked a great time to chip in with his 1st goal for us. A 30 yard match winner is a great way to make a good impression."

"Then Graham Gibson scored to really give us the breathing room we needed."

"One more good result will do it Dave. One more is all we need with Queen's Park losing to East Stirling and Montrose battling to a draw with Arbroath."

Scottish Third Division- 34 matches played 2 remaining

1- East Fife 62 pts (+36)

2- Queen's Park 56 pts (+5)

3- Montrose 56 pts (+1)

4- Berwick 54 pts (+8)

</pre>

mark- Thanks icon_smile.gif

BlackStrider- This is a simple one, only Scotland loaded, all Scottish players with a large DB.

Stenhousemuir (1) East Fife (1)

Stenhousemuir- Stephen Grant 6

East Fife- Andrew Duffy 61

MOM- Stephen Grant, Stenhousemuir

"I didn't bother commenting on the contentious nature of Grant's goal, it wasn't worth discussing among the celebration," grinned Grayling.

"It is very hard to believe that we are Champions of Third Division. If you had told me that before the season, I would truthfully have scoffed at the notion," offered Gemmell.

"Hard work and steady play is what won for us. Andrew Duffy scored a great goal- his 10th- to get us back even."

"It was a good effort against a side that wasn't quitting at all."

East Fife Clinches 3rd Division Crown with Draw at Stenhousemuir

East Fife (2) East Stirling (0)

East Fife- Gavin Holligan 18 Paul Hampshire 35

East Stirling- None

"Wonderful way to end the season in front of our home faithful at New Bayview," said a content Grayling.

"There were some good performances today. Michael Hilton was a rock in goal- he really impressed me," answered Gemmell.

"Hilton proved to me that he and Farr will be our tandem for next season, with Dodds #3."

"I also thought Steve Fortune played a fine match."

"He did, he could well have had MOM honours- but Sutton was a good choice too."

Scottish Third Division Table- Final

1- East Fife C 66 pts (+38)

2- Queen's Park PL 62 pts (+12)

3- Montrose PL 59 pts (0)

4- Berwick PL 57 pts (+7)

</pre>

"Rangers finally clinched BSP?" asked Gemmell.

"Yes. Celtic didn't help themselves much by firing Strachan two weeks ago and replacing him with Irureta," replied Grayling.

"Did you see that match yesterday?" asked Gemmell.

"Yes, I wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Berwick gained the other promotion spot- somehow they got past Forfar and then beat Queen's Park on away goals in the second half of their Playoff Final."

"Congratulations are in order," said a smiling Gemmell.

"It is an honour," replied Grayling with a slight smile. "Winning the Manager of the Year is nice, but getting us promoted was a lot bigger in my book."

"Craig O'Reilly was Player of the Year?"

"Yes, he just beat out Andrew Duffy. I am making one last attempt to see if I can get O'Reilly and Graham Gibson here permanently, but I don't hold any great hopes."

"It was a thrilling match. I didn't think ManU would be able to fight back," commented Gemmell.

"And then they scored the Extra-time winner. Barca won't be happy about losing that way in the Champions Cup Finals," observed Grayling.

"Time for some celebration Dave," said a pleased Lewis Grayling on the phone.

"What are we celebrating?" asked Dave Gemmell.

"After Dundee turned us down on renewing Craig O'Reilly's loan- they ended up releasing him. We just inked him to a contract through 2011. He will still miss awhile recovering from his injury, but he is ours now."

"That is *great* news Lewis! We really needed him back as we moved up."

"I also have a couple transfer moves to fill you in on. Before I knew that Craig could be back, I inked 28 year old veteran Scot forward Martin Cameron to a two-year contract. I also managed to purchase 17 year old Scot forward Brian Prunty from Cumbernauld on free transfer with a 10% sell on clause."

"Those sound like a couple players who might have some use. Any luck on Graham Gibson?"

Grayling sounded resigned, "No, and I don't think he has any interest in returning- which is too bad. He just doesn't want to play in a lower division again."

"Any other transfer news to report?"

"Not yet, but I am looking closely at our scouting reports."

"The Board gave me their pep talk Dave," dryly commented Grayling.

"And?" asked Gemmell.

"They would just like us to avoid relegation this season."

"Well, we would like that too- so it seems we are on the same page."

"Our weekly wage budget is 11.2 K a week and we are currently in the black on the ledger sheet to the tune of 250K. They will also allow a transfer budget of 24K."

"That all seems reasonable to me. What is our current weekly wages?"

"About 6.2K a week."

"We have plenty of wiggle room then?"

"Plenty. That may go up some if we renogiatate some contracts this year, but that is still more room than I think we will need at present."

"Three more additions to the club to let you know about before we begin training tomorrow Dave," stated Grayling.

"Who might those be?" asked Gemmell.

"All on free transfer, we signed 29 year old Scot rightback Paddy Kelly, 19 year old forward/rightwinger Mark McAlpine, and 20 year old Scot midfielder Nicky Smith."

"Wasn't Smith on Arbroath last season? Didn't Kelly play for East Fife before we got here?"

"Yes on both counts."

"Sounds like they will help us fill in with more cover at least."

"I think Smith could be a starter for us. He has some ability."

"It could have been worse. Overall, I thought we didn't play too badly," commented Grayling on East Fife's opening friendly 3-0 loss to Aberdeen at New Bayview.

"One was an own-goal, so we weren't even close to perfect on the defensive side of the ball. Still, it was only our first friendly and we are working new players into the lineup," agreed Gemmell.

"It was nice to get the win with that last minute goal, but truth to tell- I wasn't worried about it either way," offered Grayling.

"Though it meant nothing, it was still nice to execute a nice cross for the win," agreed Gemmell.

"How long did we lose Stevie Nicholas for?"

"Might be one week, might be 4 weeks- with his foot swollen right now, they just aren't sure."

"Another win," offered Gemmell.

"It wasn't a very good effort on our part- it was only non-league side Harrow Hill," grumpily stated Grayling.

"Still, we did a few things better this match. Things are beginning to come together."

"Well, the match winner was well offside," commented Grayling.

"Not that it mattered much- losing to Hythe Town 2-1," replied Gemmell.

"We still didn't play all that well."

"Getting closer- but you are right, we are not ready for the season yet."

"Not only do we finally get a good win, we are able to sign a very promising youngster," said a happy Grayling.

"Rugby Town isn't a great club, but the 4-0 win was a bit of a confidence booster," agreed Gemmell.

"Adding 19 year old Paul Munro may turn out to be a key addition. I was surprised that ICT released him."

"He is a complete player."

"I also found out that Hearts' David Templeton agreed to come on a season-long loan."

"Templeton has blinding speed- he will fit in well with what we are trying to do."

Scottish Second Division Odds by totalbet.com

Clyde 4-5

Hamilton Evens

Brechin 7-4

Alloa 2-1

Stirling 8-1

Raith 8-1

East Fife 40-1

</pre>

"That was nice way to close out our friendlies," stated Grayling.

"Even if it was only Bamber Bridge- a 4-0 result was a good one," offered Gemmell.

"Nice to see David Templeton adapt so quickly to our offense."

"A hat-trick by halftime is pretty good evidence of that."

"This will be our starting lineup as we host Hamilton to start our Division 2 campaign:" said Grayling-

GK- Craig Farr

DR- Paddy Kelly

DL- Iain Vigurs

DC- John Sutton

DC- Paul Martin

MR- Paul Walker

ML- Andrew Duffy

MC- Paul Munro

MC- Nicky Smith

SC- David Templeton

SC- Ian Tilson

Sub- Mark McAlpine

Sub- Ryan Blackadder

Sub- Carl Motteram

Sub- Michael Hilton

Sub- Kevin McBride

"I have been trying to get him, and now he is finally ours," said a pleased Grayling.

"Who would that be?" asked Gemmell.

"17 year old Northern Irish forward Ryan Gregg. Gregg scored 13 goals for Wakehurst as a 16 year old and I really think he can help us."

"We are accumulating good youngsters."

East Fife (0) Hamilton (2)

East Fife- None

Hamilton- Alex Neil 42 William Easton 44

MOM- Alex Neil, Hamilton

"That was a poor way to start," sighed Grayling.

"Our backline is what was poor. That early yellow card to Paddy Kelly meant he didn't challenge on either of the goals- we can't have that," angrily commented Gemmell.

Grayling nodded, "Yes, that was disappointing. Our whole backline played poorly today."

"We should have had a goal somewhere along the way. David Templeton had some excellent chances."

"Templeton played well. Ian Tilson played poorly- he didn't show much to me today."

Dunfermline (2) East Fife (0) League Cup 1st Round

Dunfermline- Paul McShane 6 Collin Samuel 18 Darren Young 90

East Fife- None

MOM- Collin Samuel, Dunfermline

"They definately outclassed us," sighed Gemmell.

"Too fast and too good technically for us," agreed Grayling.

"We have got to get our backline settled down more, they didn't do the job again today."

"Another free transfer signing today," explained Grayling.

"Midfielder?" asked Gemmell.

"No. 18 year old fullback Alex Rawcliffe signed on with us after being released by St.Mirren. He should be a good addition at either fullback spot."

Alloa (2) East Fife (3)

Alloa- Nathan McConnell 38,55-P

East Fife- David Templeton 7 Paul Walker 13,58

MOM- Paul Walker, East Fife

"I thought the final whistle would never come," said a tired Grayling.

"We survived, but no thanks to Paddy Kelly," stated Gemmell.

"Everyone else played a good match, but Kelly was terrible- again. He gave away the ball that led to McConnell's first goal and then took a very stupid penalty to allow them to even the match."

"Good thing that Paul Walker had one more goal in him. Two strong headers- Paul was brilliant."

"Don't forget David Templeton's superb free kick goal."

East Fife (2) Elgin (1) Challenge Cup 1st Round

East Fife- Ian Tilson 21,47

Elgin- Michael Johnston 3

MOM- Ian Tilson, East Fife

"Excellent fightback win for us," observed Gemmell.

"Keyed by Ian Tilson. As poorly as he played in that other match- today he was excellent," replied Grayling.

"Our backline settled down after that first goal and helped Michael Hilton a lot more after that."

East Fife (0) Clyde (1)

East Fife- None

Clyde- Gary Arbuckle 65

MOM- Craig Bryson, Clyde

"I still don't understand why Paul Martin just stood there. Did he fall asleep?" fumed Grayling. "Everyone else on the backline was moving, but Paul failed to flow and Arbuckle moved right into the hole to score an easy goal."

"It was frustrating to watch. We played a good match other than that mistake defensively," answered Gemmell.

"We still need to find some offense, because so far we haven't shown anything like our abilities last season."

"With all the new players, does that surprise you?"

"This may be an important addition for us," offered Grayling to Gemmell.

"Who are we adding?" asked Gemmell.

"20 year old Scot center mid Sean Lynch. Hibernian let him come to us for 2K."

"That is a bargain for a player of his talent. I really like him."

"Me too. I believe he is the type of player we need to get the offense moving."

East Fife (0) Cowdenbeath (0) Challenge Cup 2nd Round- East Fife advances on penalties

East Fife- None

Cowdenbeath- None

MOM- Sami El-Abd, East Fife

"We kept our nerve today- that was a good bit of penalties for us," cheerily commented Gemmell.

"Somewhat ironic that the MOM is the only one of our penalty takers who missed," chuckled Grayling.

"There were plenty of chances for us to win this match in regular time."

"Our shooting lacked accuracy again today. I know Cowdenbeath was surprised how we got after them all match."

Dundee (3) East Fife (0) Challenge Cup 3rd Round

Dundee- Bob Davidson 20 Ben Collett 46 Derek Lyle 85

East Fife- None

MOM- Paul McHale, Dundee

"They outclassed us, but overall I don't think we played that badly," said Grayling quietly.

"It might have helped if Craig Farr could have come up with the big save on one of them- but he didn't," stated Gemmell.

"Their tackling on the backline was top rate. We couldn't get the close-in chances on them."

Peterhead (1) East Fife (2)

Peterhead- Billy Brawley 25

East Fife- David Templeton 8 Paul Walker 22

MOM- David Templeton, East Fife

"We have got to figure a way to better defend those long crosses. Billy Brawley was all alone at the far post on his goal because of the backline flowing to the ball," complained Grayling.

"At least we had a couple goals before that," murmured Gemmell.

"Templeton's goal was fantastic and Walker's header was good. This would have been an easier match if Walker had converted the penalty kick late in the first half."

Brechin (1) East Fife (1)

Brechin- Paul Doyle 8-OG

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 66

MOM- Luke O'Brien, Brechin

"It was a good fight back, but one that we should not have had to made," sighed Grayling.

"We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with defensive mistakes," agreed Gemmell.

"I was happy to see Craig O'Reilly finally get a goal. He deserved it with his hard work here today."

East Fife (1) Berwick (0)

East Fife- Andrew Duffy 40

Berwick- None

MOM- Andrew Duffy, East Fife

"David Templeton must be feeling very unlucky today," commented Grayling.

"Well, losing two goals to offside calls and firing another one off the crossbar would be enough to hurt your condifidence," agreed Gemmell.

"Good solid play from our backline today helped us win this one."

"Not to mention Craig Farr being in the right place at the right time more than once."

East Fife (2) Stranraer (0)

East Fife- Paul Walker 60,68

Stranraer- None

MOM- Paul Walker, East Fife

"Did you realize that Paul could have wound up with a hat-trick in an 8-minute span- if he had converted that penalty?" asked Gemmell.

"I thought of it when he got his brace. Just a bit of bad luck that he drilled his penalty kick off the crossbar," replied Grayling.

"How badly was Paul hurt at the end?"

"It could have been worse, he pulled his hamstring and will miss a month or so."

Gemmell shook his head, "Paul's only played 8 matches and he is our leading scorer- I think we are going to miss him in the lineup quite a bit."

"It seems appropriate that Paul (Walker) received Player of the Month honours for September," said Grayling as he shook his head.

"And Paul is getting plenty of positive attention from the media," answered Gemmell.

"All Paul wants to do is get back into the lineup."

"It won't be happening soon."

Raith (1) East Fife (2)

Raith- Chris Morrow 51

East Fife- Ryan Blackadder 36 Craig O'Reilly 45

"Well, that was another win that could have been easier than it actually was," stated a relieved Grayling.

"Craig Farr's missed interception did turn things a bit dicey there, but he came through at the end," offered Gemmell.

"Nice to see Ryan score on that jumble after the corner."

"Good to see Craig O'Reilly finally looking closer to the impact player he was for us last season."

Stirling (3) East Fife (1)

Stirling- Robbie Shields 20,45 Davey O'Brien 27

East Fife- Ryan Gregg 88

MOM- Steven Bell, Stirling

"We didn't play well in that match- not at all," muttered Grayling.

"What was painful to watch was getting beat twice on the same play. Both Shields first goal and O'Brien cruised in unmarked at the far post as Paddy Kelly just didn't get back quick enough," fumed Gemmell.

"Michael Hilton played poorly in goal- that certainly helped them get a three goal first half."

"At least we got a late goal back when Ryan Gregg scored."

Hamilton (2) East Fife (0)

Hamilton- Rory Loy 4,65

East Fife- None

MOM- James McArthur, Hamilton

"I hope the *Referee* understood that I think he is a horses rear," fumed Grayling. "The redcard to Alex Rawcliffe was debatable- I still don't think he was the last man- but to turn around and hand us an undeserved redcard three minutes later to Andrew Duffy is undefensible."

"It certainly gave the match to the home side at that point," agreed Gemmell.

"I was proud of the effort from the boys- we created some good chances despite being down to 9 men. We were a bit unlucky not to have at least one goal in the match."

East Fife (1) Alloa (0)

East Fife- David Templeton 61

Alloa- None

MOM- Charlie Grant, Alloa

"That was a superb pass from Sean Lynch to give David Templeton the chance to round Allan Creer and score," said a pleased Gemmell.

"It was a nice finish by David. We were more than a bit fortunate that Craig Farr came up with that big save on Charlie Grant in second half injury time," replied Grayling.

"I don't know why Paul Martin tried to send a pass up the middle in that situation."

"Me neither, but he better not be doing that again. It came very close to costing us the win."

East Fife (4) Tarff Rovers (0) Scottish Cup 1st Round

East Fife- Martin Cameron 32,37 Nicky Smith 44 Steve Fortune 64

Tarff- None

MOM- Nicky Smith, East Fife

"Wonderful match- all the way around," stated a content Grayling.

"When Brian Prunty slipped that pass across that Martin Cameron scored his 1st goal for us- I had a feeling it would be a fine match for us," answered Gemmell.

"Prunty really deserved to have a goal out of this, but he missed close twice and found Stuart Webster saving his other chance."

East Fife (3) Peterhead (0)

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 24 Paul Martin 63 Iain Vigurs 67

Peterhead- None

"Another solid effort and another solid result," quietly said Grayling with a smile on his face.

"It wasn't as easy a match as it looks with the final score," offered Gemmell.

"True, it wasn't easy. Still, we did a lot of things right again today.

Clyde (2) East Fife (1)

Clyde- Gary Shields 29 Raymond Inglis 90

East Fife- David Templeton 45

MOM- Ryan Conroy, Clyde

"I can't believe we played a solid match and then just gave it away at the last moment," fumed a furious Grayling. "Where was the defensive coverage on the free kick?"

Gemmell shook his head, "We just blew the coverage. It was bad coverage..."

"No. It was *no* coverage on Shields. Their most dangerous forward and nobody marked him. Shields fires it off the crossbar and *then* Inglis fires it in when nobody can react."

"It was a lousy way to lose a match that we played hard and earned a better fate in."

East Fife (1) Brechin (0)

East Fife- Ryan Gregg 71

Brechin- None

MOM- Ryan Gregg, East Fife

"Ryan Gregg certainly sparked us off the bench today," said a pleased Gemmell.

"That was a huge goal with the way the match had been for us," agreed Grayling.

"We needed the win badly after that loss to Clyde."

"It was a nice one to get- that is for sure."

Montrose (3) East Fife (1) Scottish Cup 2nd Round

Montrose- Paul McLaughlin 11 Stephen Fraser 22-P Scott Michie 56

East Fife- Paul Hampshire 78

MOM- Stephen Fraser, Montrose

"Well, that was a disappointing effort," grumbled Gemmell.

"We didn't play well defensively- that is certain," flatly stated Grayling.

"It was nice to see Paul Hampshire finally get his 1st goal of the season."

"Paul's goal was a good one. I was frustrated that they waved off Martin Cameron's goal just after that though- if Cameron is offside, then Michie was offside and his should not have counted."

"The penalty kick given them was another close call too."

"Still, we didn't play well enough to deserve to win- complaining won't get the job done."

Berwick (3) East Fife (5)

Berwick- Lewis Coult 10 Ryan Coyle 32 Sean Simpson 78

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 1,2 David Templeton 42 Ryan Blackadder 49 Andrew Duffy 62

"I am glad we won, but I am more than a little disappointed at how we gave back a 2-0 lead in the first half," muttered Grayling.

"Our backline didn't play particularly well. We didn't give Craig Farr a lot of support in the match," agreed Gemmell.

"Still, we could have had several more goals. Craig (O'Reilly) really deserved a hat-trick today- after hitting the post and then coming ever so close at least three more times."

"We had some excellent chances along the way. At least we converted enough of them to get the win."

"It's surprising to see that Berwick has yet to win a match- in 15 played. They only have 2 draws as well..."

"I am glad it wasn't us that they got that first win against."

East Fife (1) Stirling (0)

East Fife- David Templeton 31

Stirling- None

MOM- David Templeton, East Fife

"I sincerely wish we could get David Templeton permanently. He really is a perfect fit for our attacking system," said an admiring Grayling.

"His goal today was superb. He just overpowered Dean Pooley to score past Scott Christie," replied Gemmell.

"Craig Farr played well today too- he came up with a couple big saves when we needed them."

East Fife (3) Raith (0)

East Fife- Paul Walker 4 Craig O'Reilly 13 John Sutton 31

Raith- None

Redcard- Paul Walker, East Fife- 22

"I was extremely happy at the way the boys played today. We quickly built that 2-0 lead and then shook off the unwarranted redcard to Paul Walker and kept the pressure on Raith for the entire match," exclaimed Grayling.

"What was good in my eyes was that we scored three well-crafted goals. I really liked John Sutton's 1st goal of the season when he deflected the corner inside the near post," offered Gemmell.

"Sean Lynch played very well today too- easily his best match since joining us."

Stranraer (0) East Fife (1)

Stranraer- None

East Fife- Paul Hampshire 63

MOM- Paul Hampshire, East Fife

"A brilliant free kick from Paul Hampshire- it was exactly what we needed and when we needed it," said a relieved Gemmell.

"Paul is very dangerous on the free kick and he proved it again today. I was also happy with how well we played on the defensive side of the ball," commented Grayling.

"It was a good effort on all fronts for us- and a good way to reach mid-season."

Scottish Second Division Table- Midseason

1- Clyde 42 pts (+17)

2- East Fife 37 pts (+10)

3- Hamilton 36 pts (+21)

4- Alloa 33 pts (+1)

5- Stirling 27 pts (+2)

</pre>

East Fife (0) Hamilton (1)

East Fife- None

Hamilton- Danny Black 28-OG

MOM- James McArthur, Hamilton

Grayling sighed, "We outplayed them by a large margin, outshot them 9-2 and still lost."

Gemmell nodded, "It would have helped if we could put some shots on target, but when only 1 of 9 was..."

"Yes, that was the difference. We created some good chances, but didn't finish well."

"It was a bad fate for Craig Farr. Also for Stevie Nicholas- he broke two ribs and will be out for awhile."

Alloa (1) East Fife (2)

Alloa- Charlie Grant 14

East Fife- David Templeton 14,25

MOM- Paul Martin, East Fife

Redcards- East Fife (Paul Munro 81, Paul Hampshire 89) Alloa (James Cullingworth 90)

"I wondered how many players we were going to have left on the pitch when all those yellow cards came raining down in the second half," chuckled Gemmell.

"I had a few thoughts myself. Several of those were unkind ones about the Referee when he every questionable tackle was going against us, while he let some of theirs slide," answered Grayling.

"David Templeton was great again today. Both of his goals included a lot of individual effort."

"That second goal was thing of beauty- the placement of the shot. I also thought Craig Farr could have received MOM honours as he was brilliant a key reason we took all three points from a difficult situation."

Damien- Aye, we still have some work to do to stay up the Table

"Dave, what were you doing? I can't have you telling a player that during the match and then finding out after the fact. Not only that, but his 2nd yellow card got him sent off," asked Grayling in a quiet, deadly serious tone.

"You just don't understand Lew. We can't allow them to take advantage of us like that!" proclaimed Gemmell.

"I do understand Dave. I don't want them to have their way with us, but you *have* to consider the match and our chances to win it."

"*That* doesn't matter when there is a dicey tackle like that- that could hurt our player."

Grayling steepled his fingers, "Dave, I am sorry. You are fired. Clean out your locker before you leave today."

Gemmell paled, "You can't do that! I will go before the Chairman!"

Grayling stood up quickly and leaned toward Gemmell, "OUT! You can go to the press if you like Dave, but your poor judgement almost cost us a match that we dearly needed to win. I don't know if you realize it, but the story is bound to get out. We don't need your inability to judge the appropriate time and place here anymore. You are done!"

After Gemmell exited in a huff, Grayling murmured to himself, "Now what? I need to find a new Assistant quickly."

"Welcome aboard Eddie!" smiled Lewis Grayling as he motioned to Eddie Hickey to sit down in his office.

"I am glad to be here, but I have to admit I still wouldn't have minded playing some," grinned Hickey.

"Eddie, your reputation as a veteran keeper is secure, but being my Assistant is a full-time job- or so I like to think- and I wanted you to concentrate your efforts there."

"I understand Lew."

"The two requirements I have are communication and judgment. That is what got you this job and got my previous assistant out of work. Exercise your best judgment, but don't leave me in the dark on your plans and we will get along fine."

"Seems fair enough to me. Are we in the market for any transfers?"

"Hmm, I don't want to mess with the club's chemistry much- so, maybe. We did sell unhappy rightback Chibuzor Chilaka to Arniston on free transfer yesterday, so I will be trying to move unhappy players."

"I will think about who might be available, maybe I know someone who could help us."

"I don't mind suggestions, but why don't you get to know our club first before you make them. Remember, we have a crucial match against Division leading Clyde coming up in a week- so our main focus has to remain on that."

Archived